PDA

View Full Version : Dejesus out fot the season, Gordon recalled

Cooper
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

07/23/10 12:40 PM ET

A day after he jammed his right thumb against the center-field fence at Yankee Stadium on Thursday night, the Royals placed outfielder David DeJesus on the 15-day disabled list with a right thumb sprain.

Outfielder Alex Gordon was called up from Triple-A Omaha to take his place and will be in uniform for Friday night's game against the Yankees.

DeJesus suffered the injury in the third inning while trying to retrieve a deep fly ball from Derek Jeter in right-center field, which ended up being an inside-the-park home run. DeJesus initially got his glove on the ball, but couldn't hang on after his wrist hit the wall and bent awkwardly.

The 30-year-old DeJesus -- a subject of trade rumors with the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline approaching -- is expected to miss anywhere from two to six weeks, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

"I thought it was my wrist at first, and then as I looked at my hand, I saw my thumb growing and I was like, 'Oh, no,'" DeJesus, batting .318 with five homers and 37 RBIs, said Thursday. "It's one of those things. That's the way I play, aggressive trying to make a play for Bruce [Chen]. It's one of those things where if it happens, it happens."

Gordon was hitting .315 with 14 homers and 44 RBIs and was named a Pacific Coast League All-Star while playing in Omaha. A converted third baseman, the 26-year-old Gordon batted .194 with in 12 games for the Royals prior to being optioned on May 2.

Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.co This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100723&content_id=12543426&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Since this story was published, it was learned Friday afternoon that it was a complete tear, and that surgery was required....forcing Dejesus to miss the remainder of the season.

DiehardJaysFan
07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey I was wondering why Gordon was sent down to the minors and made into a Outfielder. I thought he was an above average 3rd baseman?

Cooper
07-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Gordon is an average to above average 3rd baseman...that is true. What the problem was is his hitting for that position. The outfield was a more promising position for him to rejoin the major league ballclub, given that the Royals future at 3rd was a kid named Moustakis. As it turns out, Dejesus is gone for the rest of the season, and we just traded Callaspo today to the Angels for two prospects...so suddenly, we lose our depth at 3rd and in right field.

We know Guillen is history after this season.

We know Hosmer isn't far away.

We know Kila wants to play at the big league level...and is proving he can.

We know the Royals won't be winning the AL central this year.

At this point, we have the opportunity to have a peek into the future. Gordon has to fit in there somewhere, or else we have to cut him loose....but we do need to find this out. With Callaspo gone, Betemit is getting the start at 3rd today....the bench has Bloomquist and Getz to handle any emergency on the infield, and Maier for the outfield...Pena at catcher.

Not a good outlook to say the least. We might see more changes before the trade deadline, but by September...we could look very different.

DiehardJaysFan
07-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks for filling me in.

I'm a fan of what Kila is doing for you guys in the minors and hope he gets a shot soon, also a fan of Gordon, wishing the Jays could steal him to play third for them!!!