PDA

View Full Version : Team USA: Who's the 2nd option?

goblazers7
07-23-2010, 05:57 PM
I was watching the training camp for Team USA and Mike Fratello made a good point. On offense, who's the legit 2nd option after Kevin Durant? Name one person!

List of participants in case you need it

Gay
Rondo
Ty Chandler
D Rose
Russ Westbrook
Rob and Brook Lopez
Javale Mcgee
Chauncey Billups
Evans
OJ Mayo
Love
Odom
Gerald Wallace
Jeff Green
Iggy
Granger
Curry

lakers4sho
07-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Nobody. That team's good enough that anyone who is wide open or has the best look should take the shot.

It's all about teamwork in international ball.

R_O_W_E
07-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Nobody. That team's good enough that anyone who is wide open or has the best look should take the shot.

It's all about teamwork in international ball.

This. Seriously OP, name me 1 international team that is going to beat Team USA.

The great thing about this team is that none of these guys have the same level of egos as the 08' Olympic team did. These guys aren't checking their egos at the door just to play together, the chemistry will be much better. Most of the guys who will play are laid back, but are still highly competitive.

GSW Hoops
07-23-2010, 06:07 PM
This. Seriously OP, name me 1 international team that is going to beat Team USA.

The great thing about this team is that none of these guys have the same level of egos as the 08' Olympic team did. These guys aren't checking their egos at the door just to play together, the chemistry will be much better. Most of the guys who will play are laid back, but are still highly competitive.

Spain was a few shots away from beating the U.S. in the Gold Medal game in the last Olympics. Without late-game heroics from Kobe, U.S. wouldn't have won that game.

goblazers7
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Spain...RUDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

LTS
07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Isnt Durant on the team

and yeah I like this team with Chauncy at the head

R_O_W_E
07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Spain was a few shots away from beating the U.S. in the Gold Medal game in the last Olympics. Without late-game heroics from Kobe, U.S. wouldn't have won that game.

Maybe.

This year means no Pau Gasol, who went for 21/6 in that Final leading Spain.

You're really only going to have to worry about Rudy and Navarro.

The Panch
07-23-2010, 06:51 PM
When Durant being the first option, Granger should be second. I can't wait to seDurant and Granger play together, they should beast.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Maybe.

This year means no Pau Gasol, who went for 21/6 in that Final leading Spain.

You're really only going to have to worry about Rudy and Navarro.

Nope.

Youl have to Worry bout GASOl...................Marc Of course.

Anyway wint no Pau, No Parker, No Manu, No Dirk, No Kaman, No scola, Team usa should havae a cake walk.

But of course the first thing they need to do is FORGET bout tht 1st option 2nd optin ****, Fiba is a TEAM game where you look for the man with ht ehot hand that particular night or for the open mind.

If Durant tryes to steal the show )( or rose or whoever) on a nightly basis then thres a chance Usa fails again.

celtsballa21
07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Rondo may not necessarily be the 2nd scoring option (even though he will take over a game or two) he will most likely be the 1st option on offense. Giving him the ball will allow him to score when he wants and will allow anyone else to score when Rondo wants them to.

phlp_bj
07-23-2010, 06:58 PM
rose, billups(depending on who starts) could be the 2nd option. rose can get his shot anytime. granger can also score but i doubt he starts

celtsballa21
07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Both Rose and Billups wont start unless they go with a 2 PG set, which is doubtful. Rondo is going to have the PG job easily, unless Deron Williams was on the team.

Boozerguy47
07-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Gay
Iggy
Granger

One of those three.

lakers4sho
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Nope.

Youl have to Worry bout GASOl...................Marc Of course.

Anyway wint no Pau, No Parker, No Manu, No Dirk, No Kaman, No scola, Team usa should havae a cake walk.

But of course the first thing they need to do is FORGET bout tht 1st option 2nd optin ****, Fiba is a TEAM game where you look for the man with ht ehot hand that particular night or for the open mind.

If Durant tryes to steal the show )( or rose or whoever) on a nightly basis then thres a chance Usa fails again.

exactly

armychi-guy
07-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Rose

Gators123
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Javale Mcgee

ldc62
07-23-2010, 07:14 PM
The odds of USA winning is extremely high... I don't see the need of a "2nd option" or a first option for that matter. All they need to do is go out there and play bball.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Rondo may not necessarily be the 2nd scoring option (even though he will take over a game or two) he will most likely be the 1st option on offense. Giving him the ball will allow him to score when he wants and will allow anyone else to score when Rondo wants them to.

rondo is not a scorer

MiamiWadeCounty
07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
iggy and granger are two underated scorers...they are probaly the best scorers after durant, but they both play sf so they wont play as much

phlp_bj
07-23-2010, 08:39 PM
First, of course, Rondo needs to make the final 12-man roster, which is not a given on a team that is loaded (overloaded, really) with talented point guards.

And with one of those spots seemingly destined to go to Chauncey Billups, Rondo is competing against the past two Rookies of the Year (Tyreke Evans and Derrick Rose) and a playmaker in Russell Westbrook, whom team insiders say has excelled tremendously over the first two days of practice at Team USA's minicamp.

With coach Mike Krzyzewski putting an emphasis on finding players who are capable of playing multiple positions, it is a negative for Rondo that he is pigeonholed as a pure point guard -- one with a highly unreliable jump shot and a history of being unable to knock down free throws. But Rondo can certainly defend. He led the league in steals last season despite Rivers' pleadings to knock off the risky stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USA-Rondo-100722

Ethix11
07-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Evans no doubt.

masalex1205
07-23-2010, 08:56 PM
who cares as long as they win

camador22
07-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Spain was a real challenge to team USA with Wade, Kobe, Lebron and Melo. If it weren't for Wade in the last 5 minutes going clutch Spain might have won it. Hopefully these guys get it together and pull through for the US

topdog
07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I was watching the training camp for Team USA and Mike Fratello made a good point. On offense, who's the legit 2nd option after Kevin Durant? Name one person!

Gay
Rondo
Ty Chandler
D Rose
Russ Westbrook
Rob and Brook Lopez
Javale Mcgee
Chauncey Billups
Evans
OJ Mayo
Love
Odom
Gerald Wallace
Jeff Green
Iggy
Granger
Curry

You've got lot's of great 2nd options. Gut reaction - Billups. I actually like Team USA because it looks to be a real team this year.

zambo4president
07-23-2010, 09:09 PM
One of Granger, Billups, Rose or Mayo.

zambo4president
07-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Really good looking team though. Nobody with an ego really.

NYKalltheway
07-23-2010, 09:15 PM
name me 1 international team that is going to beat Team USA.

Spain (without Gasol though)
Greece (been there, done that)
Serbia (great shooters and very organised team)
Argentina (if the whole crew is available in Scola, Ginobili, Prigioni, Nocioni, Delfino etc)

Problem for teams like France & Lithuania who are the other options is that they will not have their best players available (no comment on USA's situation :p)

I see that Argentina will probably not have Scola and Ginobili, so that's bad.
Russia might not have Kirilenko and Khryapa. That's extremely bad for them.
France will not have many of their best players, including Tony Parker
Spain with no Pau Gasol
Germany with no Nowitzki... A D-League team could beat them
Lithuania will probably not have the better of the Lavrinovic twins who was injured for long time, Macejauskas retired, Jasikevicius 99% won't participate either, might not have Siskauskas either. That's like not Lithuania!

Expect a tough Serbian team and Greece might surprise again, though the situation in Greece is not helpful with Spanoulis leaving Panathinaikos, where 6-7 national teams play, for arch rivals who has another 2-3 players... '

To answer to the topic's question. It's should have been one of D Rose and Rondo.
Since the SF's in European teams are not that great, Durant will have no problems unless something spectacular happens.
D Rose and Rondo might take it personally as there are some very good PG in European teams who can stop them and score against them.
Can't see any of the selected bigs having it easy with the double and triple marking(might not even be necessary in some cases) so it would be Granger and any other wing players that will become very important in these situations.
Like Hinrich was much more vital than Wade back in 2006 in the 4th quarter vs Greece coz he was always open and always nailed it. The rest struggled from 3pt land coz it's usually not their thing.

International basketball is hard for the USA. Players in the NBA are suited to different roles. There's the star, the sidekick, 2-3 rotation players, 1-2 role players, 1 6th man role...
The national team selects 8 stars, 6 sidekicks and 1 6th man usually. They need to adapt to new roles and new rules. No 100% ball possession for the star PG, there's also Lebron/Wade/Durant/Melo now... that sort of stuff.
Europeans are more adapted to that style. They play with tactics. They each have at least 2 roles in a team. The guards have more versatility usually. They are more likely to change defense systems attack after attack and they will follow what their coach tells them 99 out of 100 times.

That's USA's weakest point.

So let's say Spain Vs USA is on. You got the Spanish hitting you with 3s and don't seem to miss a shot(this really happens it's so scary!! :p) and the USA team is around 5 points behind with 1 minute left. There's only one ball, there's 5 basketball stars. There's 5 players that want that ball in their hands. That's also an advantage as the opponent does not know who to double mark, but that doesn't mean they can't think of an effective 5-to-5 defense. The PG has no room, and it's Rose/Rondo, he's possibly gonna go for the drive and possibly fail, as it's the first thing the defense will fear. On the other hand, if Spain was in such a situation, they would try to find the best possible player to distribute the ball to. And probably with success.
The USA coach would certainly want the same thing for his team, but with 5 stars fielded, who gets the ball?

There's only one ball, and there's five of you each time ;)
In Europe there's only one ball, and there's only one candidate to take control, the one with the best chances of scoring the basket.

USA are favorites to win of course, as always, but this selection is giving me hopes for Greece to beat them again.

Also, despite not having many divas, Team USA is always over-confident. No matter who they send. Almost always works against the team, as players think themselves as Magic Johnson compared to the opponents, so they do some inexplicable actions that cost the team. Be it Rondo, Rose, Wade, Amare, Bosh, Lopez or Iguodala... or anyone really.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Rose

Spain (without Gasol though)
Greece (been there, done that)
Serbia (great shooters and very organised team)
Argentina (if the whole crew is available in Scola, Ginobili, Prigioni, Nocioni, Delfino etc)

Problem for teams like France & Lithuania who are the other options is that they will not have their best players available (no comment on USA's situation :p)

I see that Argentina will probably not have Scola and Ginobili, so that's bad.
Russia might not have Kirilenko and Khryapa. That's extremely bad for them.
France will not have many of their best players, including Tony Parker
Spain with no Pau Gasol
Germany with no Nowitzki... A D-League team could beat them
Lithuania will probably not have the better of the Lavrinovic twins who was injured for long time, Macejauskas retired, Jasikevicius 99% won't participate either, might not have Siskauskas either. That's like not Lithuania!

Expect a tough Serbian team and Greece might surprise again, though the situation in Greece is not helpful with Spanoulis leaving Panathinaikos, where 6-7 national teams play, for arch rivals who has another 2-3 players... '

To answer to the topic's question. It's should have been one of D Rose and Rondo.
Since the SF's in European teams are not that great, Durant will have no problems unless something spectacular happens.
D Rose and Rondo might take it personally as there are some very good PG in European teams who can stop them and score against them.
Can't see any of the selected bigs having it easy with the double and triple marking(might not even be necessary in some cases) so it would be Granger and any other wing players that will become very important in these situations.
Like Hinrich was much more vital than Wade back in 2006 in the 4th quarter vs Greece coz he was always open and always nailed it. The rest struggled from 3pt land coz it's usually not their thing.

International basketball is hard for the USA. Players in the NBA are suited to different roles. There's the star, the sidekick, 2-3 rotation players, 1-2 role players, 1 6th man role...
The national team selects 8 stars, 6 sidekicks and 1 6th man usually. They need to adapt to new roles and new rules. No 100% ball possession for the star PG, there's also Lebron/Wade/Durant/Melo now... that sort of stuff.
Europeans are more adapted to that style. They play with tactics. They each have at least 2 roles in a team. The guards have more versatility usually. They are more likely to change defense systems attack after attack and they will follow what their coach tells them 99 out of 100 times.

That's USA's weakest point.

So let's say Spain Vs USA is on. You got the Spanish hitting you with 3s and don't seem to miss a shot(this really happens it's so scary!! :p) and the USA team is around 5 points behind with 1 minute left. There's only one ball, there's 5 basketball stars. There's 5 players that want that ball in their hands. That's also an advantage as the opponent does not know who to double mark, but that doesn't mean they can't think of an effective 5-to-5 defense. The PG has no room, and it's Rose/Rondo, he's possibly gonna go for the drive and possibly fail, as it's the first thing the defense will fear. On the other hand, if Spain was in such a situation, they would try to find the best possible player to distribute the ball to. And probably with success.
The USA coach would certainly want the same thing for his team, but with 5 stars fielded, who gets the ball?

There's only one ball, and there's five of you each time ;)
In Europe there's only one ball, and there's only one candidate to take control, the one with the best chances of scoring the basket.

USA are favorites to win of course, as always, but this selection is giving me hopes for Greece to beat them again.

Also, despite not having many divas, Team USA is always over-confident. No matter who they send. Almost always works against the team, as players think themselves as Magic Johnson compared to the opponents, so they do some inexplicable actions that cost the team. Be it Rondo, Rose, Wade, Amare, Bosh, Lopez or Iguodala... or anyone really.

well siad.

Also we got to see how good this team addapts to the difference in rules , specially about traveling.

And how many times the refs have the balls to actually call travelling on them

also contrayo to popular beliefe FIba allows MORE CONTR CT and toughe defenses adn zone defenses.
Last but no least, dont disdain TURKEY te ofanisers, they got good players like Ojkur and their fans are crazy and difficult to deal with under the pressure, they will shout at the refs, they will trhow coins, throw you sotones to break the windows of your bus, plant themselves under your hotel and make noise all night long so you dont sleep.

its f really dificult to beat turkisgh teams or Turkish national team on their home soil.

Im crossing my fingers that spain does not get to play wiht them because its a defeat unavoidable defeat with refs driving you crazy.

kozelkid
07-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Both Rose and Billups wont start unless they go with a 2 PG set, which is doubtful. Rondo is going to have the PG job easily, unless Deron Williams was on the team.

I GUARANTEE you that Chauncey will start over Rondo if he plays the one.
More likely he'll play the 2. But if he plays the one, he'll definitely start over Rondo. It's not debatable. Doesn't mean Chauncey is better, but experience and shooting is valued above all else.

NYKalltheway
07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Haha! I agree on the Turks attitude, but I don't think they will behave that way in the tournament. They might be smothering but they are only violent vs Greeks really and when they know that not many are watching. So in a tournament of global significance, they will behave well. They want to get a nice image for themselves. And they're not really basketball fans. It's their #2 sport, but they aren't really that deep into it (as they were in late 90s, early 2000s) but they're very nationalist.

I don't expect many crazy things from them, except from the Greece game which they will lose :D (unless we lose on purpose to avoid all that :p)

JordansBulls
07-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Gay
Rondo
Ty Chandler
D Rose
Russ Westbrook
Rob and Brook Lopez
Javale Mcgee
Chauncey Billups
Evans
OJ Mayo
Love
Odom
Gerald Wallace
Jeff Green
Iggy
Granger
Curry

Rose is.

ntat
07-23-2010, 09:37 PM
iI think that team kinda sucks. I could see a few teams beating us with those players.

dodie53
07-23-2010, 09:56 PM
rose i think

hyb152
07-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Gay, Granger, that's it.

goblazers7
07-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Rose is.

I'm going to say either Iggy or Granger.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Curry score a lot IF he makes the team. But theres a couple 6 3 point gaurds

goblazers7
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Gay, Granger, that's it.

add mayo please

BKNets21
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
If I had to pick a second option from that team, it'd definitely be Danny Granger.

eibbor
07-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Gay
Rondo
Ty Chandler
D Rose
Russ Westbrook
Rob and Brook Lopez
Javale Mcgee
Chauncey Billups
Evans
OJ Mayo
Love
Odom
Gerald Wallace
Jeff Green
Iggy
Granger
Curry

I really have to go with Rondo. I HATE the Celtics... BUT I can't deny the fact that this guy is special. He can play traditional point and he can also take over a game when needed. When he takes it to the hole it sometimes seems like everything he throws up goes in.