PDA

View Full Version : Rookie scale contract question

Hawkeye15
07-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Ok, I know years 3, and 4 are team options that need to be extended after years 1 and 2. My question is, a player like Corey Brewer, going into his 4th season. He has already been given his two team options. He does NOT need to be given another one now, in order for the Wolves to play him this year, and then either A) let him walk, or B) match any offer he recieves in the open market as a RFA.

Am I correct here? The wording is complicated in the CBA. Just thought I might ask

R_O_W_E
07-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok, I know years 3, and 4 are team options that need to be extended after years 1 and 2. My question is, a player like Corey Brewer, going into his 4th season. He has already been given his two team options. He does NOT need to be given another one now, in order for the Wolves to play him this year, and then either A) let him walk, or B) match any offer he recieves in the open market as a RFA.

Am I correct here? The wording is complicated in the CBA. Just thought I might ask

Pretty much.

They have to offer a Qualifying Offer at the end of the season for him to become a Restricted Free Agent. Their qualifying offer would be $5 Million. They then can match any offer he receives.

If Minnesota doesn't offer him a Qualifying Offer he becomes a Unrestricted Free Agent, and they have to compete with all 29 teams if they want to keep him.