PDA

View Full Version : Jim Henderson's commentary- A new Chris Paul?

nolafan33
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.wwltv.com/video/featured-videos/Commentary-A-new-Chris-Paul-99056089.html

The fans of Chris Paul have been many and well served. His critics have been few and largely silent. But recent developments threaten to detract from the many and add to a chorus of discontent amidst a growing choir of the few.

Investing in your superstar as your leader can be a dangerous balancing act. Embolden him too much and he begins thinking that he is not just a player, but someone whose opinion must be sought indeed heeded as a coach, a general manager, even an owner.

Rather than say, "I'm going to be better. I'm going to dedicate myself to staying healthy. I'm going to make my existing team and teammates more successful. I'm going to make this team a destination for other talented players so we all share in greater glory in the future," it appears that Chris Paul's head is elsewhere, perhaps soon to be followed by his body.

It's the easy way out and he would have every right to pursue it. LeBron James did, and it appears he has become not only a friend but a mentor and a career role model for Chris.

The old Chris as a competitor would have welcomed James' challenge on the court.

Is there now a new Chris Paul, who only feels the challenge of demonstrating his stardom by equaling James' self-aggrandizement off it?

We can only hope not.

Jim Henderson works for WWL TV and Radio here in New Orleans. He's a figure here in New Orleans, and often does these commentaries after Saints games. Today he's talking Chris Paul, and I must say he is right on the money.

What is yalls opinion on this?

GSW Hoops
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
If I were Chris Paul, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a team that clearly isn't committed to winning. They were a good team a few years back but have since fallen off the map.

The superstars of this era are leaving deadbeat teams for title contenders, so small-market teams need to wake up and spend whatever it takes to win if they want to compete.

nolafan33
07-23-2010, 01:40 PM
If I were Chris Paul, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a team that clearly isn't committed to winning. They were a good team a few years back but have since fallen off the map.

The superstars of this era are leaving deadbeat teams for title contenders, so small-market teams need to wake up and spend whatever it takes to win if they want to compete.

It's harsh to say they clearly aren't committed to winning. If they weren't, they would have stuck it out with Byron Scott and Jeff Bower. Or even worse, kept Jeff Bower as the Head Coach for this season and in the future.

The Hornets are committed to winning, being committed to winning and CP's pressure to "win now" a few seasons ago is the exact reason the Hornets are in the situation they're in right now. Back in 07-08 when we had that run all the way to Game 7 in the Second Round, the Hornets had EVERYTHING go their way that year. Truth is it started even before that year though, when we gave Peja that outrageous contract and traded for Chandler (which was a good move at the time). The truth is Chris forced the team into a win now mentality when they were clearly still a few seasons away from being true contenders. Now because of that, we're strapped for money and up against the luxury tax.

The biggest thing that could go right this offseason for the Hornets would be to have Gary Chouest buy the team. He's local and successful in everything he does. He has very deep pockets (he'd be one of the richest owners in the league) and he's well respected in basketball circles.

tc2deuce
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
shinn has never been committed to winning ......NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
look at his record!

JeffG20
07-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's fair to say they arnt commited to winning. After all it was only a few years ago they took the defending champion spurs to a 7 game series.

It boils down to poor decision making. Peja, Posey, Mopete are all an example of this. They are just tied down with bad contract. Once those expire they'll be in good position to make them a winning team

nolafan33
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't think it's fair to say they arnt commited to winning. After all it was only a few years ago they took the defending champion spurs to a 7 game series.

It boils down to poor decision making. Peja, Posey, Mopete are all an example of this. They are just tied down with bad contract. Once those expire they'll be in good position to make them a winning team

Exactly, if Shinn wasn't committed to winning we wouldn't be strapped for money like we are. Either way, that is irrelevant. We won't have to deal with Shinn for much longer, thank god.

Da Knicks
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
So which is it do we want players to win titles to proclaim them the best eventhough it is a team game or do we want them to rot on a team with no titles and call them the next Barkley, Malone, Ewing? Hope Paul does what Lebron did and fulfill his dreams and not everyone elses.

JeffG20
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
How can you say they would rot if he stayed on the hornets? I'll give you it's not the most ideal spot at the moment but most of our major contracts expire at the end of the year, meaning we can get some damn good players in FA next year to keep Paul happy.

But to be honest at this Point I woulnt mind seeing Paul go AT THE RIGHT PRICE... Because at the moment Paul is being a punk right now.

Ok Paul we get it. If you don't want to stay, say it and be done with it instead of having "sources" leak it out. Be a man and tell us you want to leave yourself

nolafan33
07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
So which is it do we want players to win titles to proclaim them the best eventhough it is a team game or do we want them to rot on a team with no titles and call them the next Barkley, Malone, Ewing? Hope Paul does what Lebron did and fulfill his dreams and not everyone elses.

I want to have a better league. Right now, the NBA sucks with the way it is. I don't want to see a few "super teams" with multiple stars that give the other 25-28 teams in the NBA with no chance at being successful in the playoffs.