PDA

View Full Version : Joey Jennings

spreadeagle
07-23-2010, 12:48 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/walking-on-air-his-shoes-made-the-man/
AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- Joey Jennings wasn't afraid of dying. He knew his time was coming soon.

He was afraid of what might happen to his shoes.

Jennings, 32, died quietly in his sleep in this small Florida town last month from complications with muscular dystrophy, a crippling disease that robbed him physically but never dampened his enthusiasm for living, or his lifelong love affair with Air Jordan basketball shoes.

Jennings left his mother and primary caregiver with his biggest pride and joy, an amazing collection of almost 80 pairs of like-new Nike shoes -- mostly Air Jordan models spanning the last 20 years.

And she doesn't know what to do.

"He didn't want me to just drop them off at the Goodwill store,'' Lisa Shelton said last week. "We talked about it a couple times. It was like he was preparing (to die). He wanted to make sure the shoes went to kids who really understood how special they were, the status they had, to kids who would wear them proudly. I'm just not sure how to go about it.''
Jennings never played sports because of the spinal muscular atrophy he was born with, but he loved watching and talking and just being around sports. At school, he loved the gym. He would watch every game he could find on television. His mother often dropped him and his motorized wheelchair off at the local playground basketball courts, where he would study the games and offer coaching tips to anyone playing.

more to story if you follow linc. made me tear up a bit

mikealike305
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
sad story

Jays Claw
07-23-2010, 01:02 PM
It's sad to hear people go through stuff like this.

gwrighter
07-23-2010, 01:05 PM
inspirational to say the least.

IAmKira
07-23-2010, 01:10 PM
where was make a wish foundation when he was a kid?