PDA

View Full Version : Is the new trend of star players joining each other a bad or good thing for NBA?

Lakeshow86
07-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Lets face it. with Paul wanting to join another star player and the three stars in Miami. it seems like the NBA is going to be made up of a few good teams and a bunch of bad teams. There is going to be no middle of the road teams. Its going to be 5-8 really good teams and a bunch of bad teams because all of the star player are on one team. I think with Lakers getting Pau and Celtics getting the BIG 3. the whole NBA went into panic mode because they knew the only way to beat the star powerd Lakers and Celtics is to become a team full of stars.

MGB
07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
terrible for parity, therefore, terrible for the league. with an 82 game regular season, it makes the entire season mundane and I'm guessing the casual fan will either just jump on a bandwagon of a team like the Lakers or the Heat (maybe Knicks if they somehow end up with CP3 and Melo); so it just turns into a ******-fest.

Don't get me wrong, it's great for the fans of a team like the Heat, but for the rest of the league, a lack of parity is BAD. Parity has been a god-send for the NFL. Just look at its rise to dominance amongst the major US sports over the last several years.

Hell, if the Bulls would've ended up with Bosh and LBJ, as it was rumored early on during FA, I'd have been ecstatic, but the fact of the matter is that it's just bad for the game overall.

Lakeshow86
07-22-2010, 11:39 PM
For example, this year it will be Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Magic, Bulls and pretty much nobody else

HOZ THE KNICK
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
For example, this year it will be Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Magic, Bulls and pretty much nobody else

sad but true the eastern conference is back though.

Storch
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
It would be great if a team that no one predicted made a great run.

LTBaByyy
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM
BAD!!!!!!! all the teams at the bottom will go broke!! lol Every team should have one star

Then you can see which one has the best TEAM and the nba will make more money bc you will have a star to get more sell outs

hugepatsfan
07-22-2010, 11:47 PM
The problem with the NBA is that we can all pick a group of 5 teams and the champ is guaranteed to come from that group. It's been like that for a while, so it's hard to blame MIA/BOS/LA for it.

Atownballa5
07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
all squads should have some decent players not a all star team lineup

kidfury
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
i prefer more parity. With parity there is more suspense and upsets in the playoffs. Watching lopsided contests whether they're regular season or playoffs is just too dull.

eibbor
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Lets face it. with Paul wanting to join another star player and the three stars in Miami. it seems like the NBA is going to be made up of a few good teams and a bunch of bad teams. There is going to be no middle of the road teams. Its going to be 5-8 really good teams and a bunch of bad teams because all of the star player are on one team. I think with Lakers getting Pau and Celtics getting the BIG 3. the whole NBA went into panic mode because they knew the only way to beat the star powerd Lakers and Celtics is to become a team full of stars.

I say WHY NOT?

Being a great player and loyal is one thing... But there is more involved than that. If you don't have an owner willing to spend OR you don't have a GM that knows his *** from a hole in the ground... add in a sub par couch and you might never win.

You get to the NBA and u wanna win... Whats wrong with that?

sargon21
07-23-2010, 12:26 AM
BAD, parity=success, look at the NFL

Chronz
07-23-2010, 12:32 AM
New?

B.JenningsMVP
07-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Horrible

desertlakeshow
07-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Parity sucks.

NBA at its best= A few teams everyone hates, a few teams everyone loves fighting over a ring.

krest213
07-23-2010, 12:47 AM

never count out my spurs
when healthy, they are they most feared team in the NBA
dream FInal SPURS vs HEAT

midwestmadman
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
It's great for the big cities and the "nicer weather" area teams. So if there are 8 "Superteams" and a total of 22 **** teams it isn't good for a buisness model. It's great for fans of those areas and ****** for everyone else. Overall no it is a terrible idea and I think so type of new rules need to be put in place with teams only being allowed to have 1 max contract player or something.

FOBolous
07-23-2010, 12:53 AM
i think it's good. the NBA's popularity was at it's highest where there's only one (Bulls in the 90s) or two (Lakers and Boston in the 80s) "best teams" in the NBA.

people like to see rivalries and rivalries can't happen if there's too much parity because no two team is guarantee to meet in the playoffs. but if all the best players in the NBA join together and create two or three "super-teams," these teams will bound to meet in the playoffs year after year thus creating a rivalry.

just imagine a Heat vs Magic rivalry...Wade/Lebron/Bosh and CP3/D12 going at each other year after year trying to outdo each other. who wouldn't pay to watch that? than the winner of the Heat vs Magic game will go on to face Kobe/Artest/Odom/Gasol/Bynum. wouldn't that be fun and exciting? the rest of the country will get into it because people will either hate the Lakers, Heat, or the Magic for knocking their favorite team out of the playoffs and will watch the series to watch that team lose...just like how lots of people go into the Finals this past year to watch the Kobe and the Lakers lose.

hopefully the refs wouldn't ruin these rivalries for us :mad:

midwestmadman
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I like how laker fans just disrespect all teams out west like it's a cake walk. Isn't that the same team that went 7 games with an old worn down Celtics roster without Kendrick Perkins, and the same team that took 6 games and a buzzer beating tip in to finish off the 8th seeded OKC Thunder?

bbblack40
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Is it me or do only the lakers and celtics get to stack up in the nba? Lakers and celtics have stacked all thru history but no says anything but when other teams try to do the same thing its all of a sudden a "new trend". people need to look at the history of the game, its been doin all thru history with really great teams and players. Jordan, bird, russell, shaq, kobe, duncan,magic,kareem,Wade etc... played with multiple hall of famers thats how you win in the nba. Barkley,ewing,reggie miller,Iverson, T-Mac, etc... these are the players with that I can do it by myself mind set and what do they have in common?.... Ringless they get smarter after their prime and then its too late.

Blazers#1Fan
07-23-2010, 12:58 AM
david sterns a idiot he should make it a rule where you cant have more then to all stars it's ruining the nba to have the big 3 in boston the big 3 in miami the lake show

HoopsDrive
07-23-2010, 01:00 AM
BAD!!!!!!! all the teams at the bottom will go broke!! lol Every team should have one star

Then you can see which one has the best TEAM and the nba will make more money bc you will have a star to get more sell outs

They're not going to go 'more broke' because the big 3 was formed in Miami. Most of the bottom teams that come from small-market cities were ALREADY losing money BEFORE the big 3 came to be.

Every team should have one star... sure, I guess. But in reality, there's not enough stars that have the revenue-generating power that guys like LBJ, Wade and Yao have.

There will always be money losers in a league.

Blazers#1Fan
07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Is it me or do only the lakers and celtics get to stack up in the nba? Lakers and celtics have stacked all thru history but no says anything but when other teams try to do the same thing its all of a sudden a "new trend". people need to look at the history of the game, its been doin all thru history with really great teams and players. Jordan, bird, russell, shaq, kobe, duncan,magic,kareem,Wade etc... played with multiple hall of famers thats how you win in the nba. Barkley,ewing,reggie miller,Iverson, T-Mac, etc... these are the players with that I can do it by myself mind set and what do they have in common?.... Ringless they get smarter after their prime and then its too late.

the difference most of the other greats they played with were drafted unless your the lakers Or Boston

Bulls drafted pippen rodman signed
Spurs drafted david robinson and duncan and parker and manu
Shaq Signed Wade drafted Payton signed most the championship miami were out of there prime

Lebron Wade Bosh all in there prime all the same age all friends i still think its dumb but its up to them if they dont really want a legacy like MJ Magic Bird ETC but they'll have the titles Boston's big 3 will still have there legacy because they all got traded there from dumb teams

Blazers#1Fan
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
I like how laker fans just disrespect all teams out west like it's a cake walk. Isn't that the same team that went 7 games with an old worn down Celtics roster without Kendrick Perkins, and the same team that took 6 games and a buzzer beating tip in to finish off the 8th seeded OKC Thunder?

Blazers always give the lakers a tough time they just got beat out by the suns with the home court and most of are players hurt but regular season portland and lakers are the most competitive games to watch

Westbrook36
07-23-2010, 01:09 AM
BAD, parity=success, look at the NFL

Bingo, it's always nice to see an underdog win something.

FOBolous
07-23-2010, 01:19 AM
all of yall keep forgetting about the FACT that the NBA's popularity was at its highest when only one or two teams dominated the NBA (Lakers/Celtics in the 80s and the Bulls in the 90s).

FOBolous
07-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Bingo, it's always nice to see an underdog win something.

there can't be an "underdog" if there's too much parity and no clear cut "best team(s) in the NBA."

kikeyanez
07-23-2010, 01:25 AM
never count out the under dogg's

kidfury
07-23-2010, 02:24 AM
there can't be an "underdog" if there's too much parity and no clear cut "best team(s) in the NBA."

There's always the 'favored' team team, doesn't neccesarily mean the 'stacked' or 'powerhouse' team. When the 8th seeded team can knock out or give a good go at the 1st seed then I say it was likely an exciting series. If parity means there's good close competition in every game I watch then I'd say that's the way to go. Lopsided victories are boring to watch.