PDA

View Full Version : sbnations's rank of 30 GM's - What do you guys think?

phoenix_bladen
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/22/1582380/nba-general-manager-rankings-pat-riley-heat

Ragun
07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
colangelo at 27 is just pure bull ****. he isnt rob ****ing babcock.

gwrighter
07-22-2010, 11:04 PM
lol obvs this is total bs.

SupeUnagi
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
sam presti should be higher imo
cant complain when hes at 4
but i like the list

still1ballin
07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Kupchak should be top 3

DCSportsIsPain
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Sam Presti is number one on any non-biased list. The number of franchises who tired to hire him away from OKC this off-season speaks to that.

jackdawson
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Pat Riley---Where amazing happens. Most dynamic basketball genius (GM) on the planet.

Kleonidas
The Cavs GM is above Otis???? rofl ya he did a great job letting LBJ go...

ldc62
I like where Morey's at. Bucks GM is way too high (had 1 good year out of 2 and wasted a pick on Joe Alexander). BC is ranked wayyy to low.

B-Ray
07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
colangelo at 27 is just pure bull ****. he isnt rob ****ing babcock.

Colangelo hasn't had much success with the Raptors. 4 years, 2 playoff appearances and no playoff series wins.
However I find that with Colangelo as GM, the off season is more exciting than the actual season.

kozelkid
07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I like where Morey's at. Bucks GM is way too high (had 1 good years out of 2 and wasted a pick on Joe Alexander). BC is ranked wayyy to low.

Personally I got Morey at 1 or 2.

Definitely a lot I disagreed with this list though.

jackdawson
07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
btw, how could someone be lower than khan :confused:

TEXASTITAN
07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Personally I got Morey at 1 or 2.

Definitely a lot I disagreed with this list though.

Morey is definitley #1 when you consider half of riley's job is players wanting to come there he didn't really do anything special. And since the team has yet to win anything or set foot on an NBA floor he's not #1.

DerekRE_3
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
The problem with Morey is he built his team around 2 injury plagued guys, then replaced T-Mac with another injury plagued guy (Kevin Martin). Guy misses 30 games a year now.

REALLYYYYY?
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
lame

kozelkid
07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Morey is definitley #1 when you consider half of riley's job is players wanting to come there he didn't really do anything special. And since the team has yet to win anything or set foot on an NBA floor he's not #1.

On one hand I agree with you. On the other hand, not many people have the characteristics of Riley and can be so persuasive. I'm not sure. If this was about judging players and having a good analysis, Morey would be number one and there wouldn't be a close second.

The problem with Morey is he built his team around 2 injury plagued guys, then replaced T-Mac with another injury plagued guy (Kevin Martin). Guy missed 30 games a year now.

He wasn't there yet when they got Tmac.
In the end of the day, so much of a gm's job is luck. It's much easier to start winning titles once you get lucky in a draft or some other way of landing a franchise player.
Obviously Yao is a franchise player, but you can't do much if he can't stay healthy. Other than that, Morey has done an excellent job of getting quality players.

SupeUnagi
07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
still cant believe jefferson is getting that large a contract....

jackdawson
07-22-2010, 11:36 PM

Am I missing something? What has Morey done thus far that can beat Riley?

jtrinaldi
07-23-2010, 12:25 AM
this is a ****ing joke, Hammons should be 1 he drafted luc bah moute in the second round,traded fer delfino,got back ersan from overseas,drafted brandon jennings when everyone thought it was too high, turned bogut and Jennings into one of the best pick and roll combos in the nba, Got John Salmons and maximized his abilities and got him to play to his fullest, made Young Bucks a leader and tought him how to the logistics of the nba, all while teaching the bucks how to play defense and taking the all mighty hawks into game 7 WITHOUT ANDREW BOGUTand that was all last year,but with the moves this year he is clearly #1
how is hammonds not number one
FEAR THE DEER brothas

MacFitz92
07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
btw, how could someone be lower than khan :confused:

When someone preferibly drafts white players.

Chronz
07-23-2010, 12:30 AM
The problem with Morey is he built his team around 2 injury plagued guys, then replaced T-Mac with another injury plagued guy (Kevin Martin). Guy misses 30 games a year now.

no, he inherited them.

Lakersfanla24
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
even if that list was just based on this year its still BS. The top 6 gms combined have 1 nba title between them and that was riley when he was a coach/Gm. Last time i checked this game was played for championships not bringing in talent that doesnt produce jack. give me a break media needs to get off miamis nuts.

Lakersfanla24
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Top Gms should be based on a combination of #1 seeds, Finals appearances and most of all Championships.

Korman12
07-23-2010, 12:55 AM
this is a ****ing joke, Hammons should be 1 he drafted luc bah moute in the second round,traded fer delfino,got back ersan from overseas,drafted brandon jennings when everyone thought it was too high, turned bogut and Jennings into one of the best pick and roll combos in the nba, Got John Salmons and maximized his abilities and got him to play to his fullest, made Young Bucks a leader and tought him how to the logistics of the nba, all while teaching the bucks how to play defense and taking the all mighty hawks into game 7 WITHOUT ANDREW BOGUTand that was all last year,but with the moves this year he is clearly #1
FEAR THE DEER brothas

No, no bias there.

JNA17
07-23-2010, 01:00 AM
the worst list i have ever seen. how are kahn and dumors at 24 and 26 when their like 30 and 29? Mitch is top 3 not even close and not even an argument.

So this guy get's a F- on the list, and that's not even all the reasons why this list sucks.

ldc62
07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Am I missing something? What has Morey done thus far that can beat Riley?

Have you seen the teams he built. He finds gems in the rough. Also cut it with the Riley is god garbage; hes a good GM, but its not that hard to get Lebron and Bosh when the whole thing was planned in 2008.....

The list is garbage and shortsighted. Why would they put Riley at 1 when they haven't even won anything (even though they will)?

gbrl
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
When someone preferibly drafts white players.

if this was directed at bird he only drafted one white player in his tenure, trades is another story

Gators123
07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
the worst list i have ever seen. how are kahn and dumors at 24 and 26 when their like 30 and 29? Mitch is top 3 not even close and not even an argument.

So this guy get's a F- on the list, and that's not even all the reasons why this list sucks.

Dumars at 29 or 30? you must be joking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars#NBA_Executive_career

Dumars became the Pistons' President of Basketball Operations prior to the 2000–01 season. He was voted the league's Executive of the Year for the 2002-03 season and quietly went on to build the team that won the 2004 NBA Championship and became the 2005 NBA Eastern Conference Champions—doing so largely with players who had been discarded by other franchises. The Pistons made it to the Eastern Conference Finals six straight years (2003–2008) under Dumars' watch. This streak would come to an end in the 2008–09 season.

eibbor
07-23-2010, 01:23 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/22/1582380/nba-general-manager-rankings-pat-riley-heat

I'm a Pacers fan and I'm glad this guy got it right. Larry Bird is by far the worst GM in the league and we will never be anything until his dumb *** is fired or he leaves. I loved him as a player.. An all time great, but as a GM, the guy is absolute trash.

dstruong
07-23-2010, 01:28 AM
#1 should be wade.

#2 morey

dstruong
07-23-2010, 01:36 AM
GM's should be ranked by finding quality guys late in the draft (consistently). not lottery picks...

Through Great trades.

GM's do not gamble with their franchise's. Striking out in 2010 for example. would riley be #1 if these players didn't sign with the heat? We all know he had nothing to do with it happening. The only credit he should be given is actually listening to wade (the true mastermind)

BoltLakerPadre
07-23-2010, 01:43 AM
Kupchak should be top 3

I feel that way too, but I'm a homer. But back to back championships has to mean something.

The fact is Pat Riley should be number one, what he just accomplished was amazing. No doubt the players did a lot of the leg work for him, but it wouldn't be possible without Slick Rick preparing the way.

And I want to say, as much as I know I am going to dislike the Heat, I still love Pat Riley for what he did in LA during the 80's, so good for him.

Wade>You
07-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Pat Riley is a Real GM (pun). :p

DQL
07-23-2010, 03:27 AM
even if that list was just based on this year its still BS. The top 6 gms combined have 1 nba title between them and that was riley when he was a coach/Gm. Last time i checked this game was played for championships not bringing in talent that doesnt produce jack. give me a break media needs to get off miamis nuts.

last time I checked Kupchak took over as the Lakers' GM in 2000 when the Lakers already had a great team. He didn't have much influence on the Lakers' 3-peat. If anything Jerry West should get the most credits (wasn't he the one who gave LA Pau Gasol for free too?).

Pat Riley built the HEAT from the scratch. HE IS THE HEAT'S HISTORY AND PRESENT!!! The HEAT had been nothing before Riley came

Since the writer was too lazy to list Riley's key trades, i'll do it myself

November 3, 1995: Traded Matt Geiger, Khalid Reeves, Glen Rice and a 1996 1st round draft pick to Hornets for Alonzo Mourning, LeRon Ellis and Pete Myers
February 22, 1996: Traded Bimbo Coles and Kevin Willis to Warriors for Tim Hardaway and Chris Gatling
(The HEAT made a 29-win improvement in 2-year span after those 2 trades and only lost to Michael Jordan in the ECF)

February 14, 1997: Traded Sasha Danilovic, Martin Muursepp and Kurt Thomas to Mavericks for Jamal Mashburn
August 1, 2000: Traded P.J. Brown, Rodney Buford, Tim James, Jamal Mashburn and Otis Thorpe to Hornets for Eddie Jones, Ricky Davis, Dale Ellis and Anthony Mason

July 14, 2004: Traded Caron Butler, Brian Grant, Lamar Odom, a 2006 1st round draft pick and a 2007 2nd round draft pick for Shaquille O'Neal
(17-win improvement and only lost to the Pistons in ECF when both Wade and Shaq got hurt)

August 2, 2005: Pulled a 5-team, 13-player trade (largest in NBA history) (too large to list)
(championship...enough said)

February 6, 2008: Traded Shaquille O'Neal to Suns for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks

kozelkid
07-23-2010, 03:51 AM
(wasn't he the one who gave LA Pau Gasol for free too?).

No, that was Chris Wallace.

DQL
07-23-2010, 04:00 AM
No, that was Chris Wallace.

it was controversial.

The one-sided nature of the trade inspired a lot of people to believe that retired Memphis GM, Jerry West, a Lakersí legend, played a part in facilitating the deal. West was instrumental recruiting Wallace as his replacement in Memphis and still holds a close relationship with Heisley. His history in Los Angeles, especially his bond with Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak and star Kobe Bryant, made even the fair-minded cynical about the scenario.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-heisleygasol060308

of course nobody involved would admit that but you have to wonder

Lakersfanla24
07-23-2010, 04:06 AM
(wasn't he the one who gave LA Pau Gasol for free too?).

Jerry west had nothing to do with that trade whatsoever. So what if he took over in 2000 he has been the gm of 5 championship teams and 7 finals appearances in 10 years. Teams dont stay the same every year the gm is responsible for keeping the team competitive. Sounds to me like kupchak has done just that. Yah riley pulled off one of the best, if not the best free agent catches ever but theres no success besides 1 lonely title in his gm career.

Lakersfanla24
07-23-2010, 04:08 AM
it was controversial.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-heisleygasol060308

of course nobody involved would admit that but you have to wonder

wonder all you want fact of the matter is he had no ties to either organization at the time besides the fact they were his previous employers.

djeller1139
07-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Riley in the bottom three sounds about right...

Here's to new management hiring Kevin Pritchard as soon as possible!

bholly
07-23-2010, 04:42 AM
In fairness, they got Stefanski about right.

DQL
07-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Jerry west had nothing to do with that trade whatsoever.

how do you know Jerry West had nothing to do with the trade? Isiah Thomas still has been recruiting/scouting for the Knicks after he stepped down as their GM (Knicks fans can confirm). Even the Grizzlies' owner questioned the Gasol trade when in fact he shouldn't have said anything bad about his organization. Plus Jerry West was recruiting Wallace to be his successor. He must have had some kind of influence on Wallace

So what if he took over in 2000 he has been the gm of 5 championship teams and 7 finals appearances in 10 years. Teams dont stay the same every year the gm is responsible for keeping the team competitive. Sounds to me like kupchak has done just that.

Kupchak really didn't do much when the Lakers won the 3-peat (ala no significant roster changes). Jerry West had built that team and hired Phil Jackson to coach it. The first time Kupchak made significant moves (sign Malone and Payton), the Lakers stopped their run and broke up. A few years later he was gifted an all-star PF and the Lakers made another run. Give Jerry West and Phil Jackson credit for it

Yah riley pulled off one of the best, if not the best free agent catches ever but theres no success besides 1 lonely title in his gm career.

you can't blame Riley for not winning multiple 'ships. When he first came he had nothing in hands. He didn't have a Kobe or a Shaq. The HEAT had been an irrelevant franchise before the Riley era. Give him a few more years before coming back with this argument. He's just got his team

Chronz
07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
LOL Kupcake has 1 move he can cling to, BYNUM. THATS IT

Hes the same guy who inherited a contender and made every wrong move imagineable and allowed it to age.

tdunk21
07-23-2010, 01:10 PM
:laugh:

Sox Appeal
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Why isn't David Kahn #30?

CityofTreez
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
We may have finished last in the Pacific, but Geoff Petrie is the best GM in the Pacific!

LOlMorey ranked at #3, his resume is miniscule compared to Petrie

Chronz
07-23-2010, 02:01 PM
We may have finished last in the Pacific, but Geoff Petrie is the best GM in the Pacific!

LOlMorey ranked at #3, his resume is miniscule compared to Petrie

By what measure? No really Im seriously asking you cuz I dont know how people go about evaluating their GM's. Especially when I see Mitch getting alot of love

ClayMatthews
07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Hammond should be in top five.

B.G.B
07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Pat riley isn't number 1, what has he done in his tenure just one championship?

Compared to Mitch Kupchack, Kupchack has 6 NBA FINALS Championships under his belt, and has built a contender team every year in and out, in his long term has missed the playoffs just once, compared to any other GM out their his a "GOD" for the players he has acquired and signed. I mean im not saying hes number 1 but should be atleast in the top 5, compared to Riley who hasn't done NOTHING besides only one Championship.

Chronz
07-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Compared to Mitch Kupchack, Kupchack has 6 NBA FINALS Championships under his belt, and has built a contender team every year in and out, in his long term has missed the playoffs just once, compared to any other GM out their his a "GOD" for the players he has acquired and signed. I mean im not saying hes number 1 but should be atleast in the top 5, compared to Riley who hasn't done NOTHING besides only one Championship.

Yea but how much skill does it take to say yea sure we'll take Gasol off your hands?

MiamiWadeCounty
07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
I agree plain and simple

DCSportsIsPain
07-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Kupchak is seriously over-rated as a GM. A lot of GM's would have done more with the budget and the market Mitch has to work with. Loved the man as a player but as a GM he gets undue credit.

B.G.B
07-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Kupchak is seriously over-rated as a GM. A lot of GM's would have done more with the budget and the market Mitch has to work with. Loved the man as a player but as a GM he gets undue credit.

I know im not saying his the best out their, but however i do think he should be top 5! Compared to Riley and other's he is more superior!

ChiSox219
07-23-2010, 02:21 PM
List is whack

CityofTreez
07-23-2010, 02:26 PM
By what measure? No really Im seriously asking you cuz I dont know how people go about evaluating their GM's. Especially when I see Mitch getting alot of love

Well...my argument with the resume is my passion for the Kings & geoff petries datermination to do good year after year! His coaches have been terrible.

My rut with Morey is his plan. To build a great roster around a superstar, which is missing). he's been around since 2007, but has just waddled in the water getting up-and-comers in the league. he had that superstar in 2007 with Yao (IMO), and had that chance. he brought in Artest to accompany T-Mac & Yao. They made it out of the 1st round, but lost Artest to FA, gained Ariza (which was a solid piece), but lets remember, he traded Artest for Donte Greene, Jackson, and our future draft pick in Omri Casspi. Yes, he did unload T-Mac onto the Knicks and got alotof talent, too mee, he won getting Jordan Hill, but brought in that horrendous player/contract Jeffries.

Again, his plan is to build a great roster and bring in a superstar, (which is missing). That superstar isn't Yao anymore (if you think otherwise), and kevin Martin is far from superstar potential (great role player), which plays along the lines of Morey's master plan, but what FA would come there once Yao eventually deteriates? That's my question.

Too me. he's a reach at #3. I'm not saying our GM is better or anything, but this whole darryl Morey aka genius percetion is kinda overblown (IMO)

Agent008
07-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't think Riley should be number one. His plan was just to gut his team down to Mario Chalmers and then keep his fingers crossed that players would sign with Miami. He got very lucky in that the three top free agents did decide to play there, but what if they didn't. Wade was supposedly close to signing with Chicago and, if he did that, Riley wouldn't have been able to sign Lebron or Bosh. If Lebron and Bosh decided to go to Chicago, then would Gar Foreman and John Paxson been #1 instead of #19. In my opinion, getting rid of your entire team and hoping that your city is nice enough to attract free agents isn't genius work, it's a very risky gamble that could have blown up in his face. GMs like Presti, Pitchard, and Morey that consistently make moves to improve their teams should be ranked higher than Riley.

WeBallin
07-23-2010, 02:28 PM

I'm just wonderin why should Joe D be 29 or even 30 is it cause he drafted Darko over Melo(by the way Tay was there an helped us to get to finals in 2004 with the block on Miller) or is it cause he let at the time he thought a declining Billiups was near in ret for an expiring contract in Iverson? Or even cause he spent all the cap money on C-vill an BG, well let me explain why he shouldn't be No#29 or 30 cause he put together an starless team that contended for the 6 ECF appearance an a titile to show, so if all the guys u mentioned that should be in front of Dumars i hope they got a title an i hope they did it with no main vocal superstar on team cause dumars did an he in your eyes is 29 or 30.....Lol get the FONT outta HERE!

dwadefan03
07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
^that's the whole point of being a good gm. you take risks. In this case riley took one of the biggest risks and ended up with the bigggest reward. If thats not worth the number one spot than i dont know what is

Ragun
07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Colangelo hasn't had much success with the Raptors. 4 years, 2 playoff appearances and no playoff series wins.
However I find that with Colangelo as GM, the off season is more exciting than the actual season.

do you remember the team we started off with? the only piece we had was a young bosh. he came in, locked him up. acquired ford, and signed some european players and got us the 3rd seed in 2006...sam mitchell won COY that year. we made the playoffs again the next year. and then it went downhill but this team now has a lot of young, talented and exciting players to watch. BC has done a great job here. also we have to consider how hard it is for toronto to sign american players.

Ragun
07-23-2010, 02:32 PM
FEAR THE DEER brothas

he gave up amir johnson and sonny weems for carlos delfino and roko ukic. look how good weems and amir johnson turned out.

you're just being a homer. hammonds at #1? thats a joke.

RVN671
07-23-2010, 02:51 PM
sam presti should be higher imo
cant complain when hes at 4
but i like the list

BIASED...they haven't won a title yet. Last title he won as a GM was in '07..what happen in those 3 years in between in Miami? Why couldn't they keep shaq for consecutive runs.

Buford Presti, Kupchak, Thorn should be higher.

Buford - Multiple titles and winning franchise in the new millenium without exceeding cap.

Presti - been watching the guy, his moves are unbelievable. Everything has worked out for him. Thunder modeled after Spurs franchise (whom he helped build with Buford).

Kupchak - Built the team of the decade

Thorn - BULLS, back2back finals appearances with the Nets.

Abdul Mutalib
07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
^^ yea, buford, and kupchak of spurs and lakers should be 1 & 2 i think

Wiz kids
07-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow Ernie Grunfeld is too high, he sucks