PDA

View Full Version : Some Ranger Tweets Today. Slats Comments On Some Rangers Prospects

SLY WILLIAMS
07-22-2010, 10:45 AM
http://twitter.com/thenyrangers

#NYR GM Glen Sather on Evgeny Grachev: "He's a goal scorer...been training hard all summer...has legit shot of making this hockey club"

and says that Ryan McDonagh, Evgeny Grachev & Derek Stepan have great chance to join that core sooner rather than later "it's up to them"

GM Glen Sather names Chris Kreider and Dylan McIlrath as future parts of youthful core making up Rangers foundation....

More Sather: "Our goal has always been to try and develop our own players to build a core group that are going to grow up together"

What is #NYR GM Glen Sather thinking of club's top young prospects? "There are group of kids really coming in right direction now"

Redfish
07-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Sly. I'd love to see the club go "all-in" toward its youth movement, if that is what is behind the consistent dialogue from management around our youth. It may require a year or two of patience in which we may or may not make the playoffs, however, the payback is both very high and rewarding to fans that get to watch the prospects develop, and come to identify one or two as favorite players, etc..

bsi
07-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I hope he doesn't do something stupid, for the first time in years we have a young crop of talent that most teams would love to have. We will be a cup contender in 3 years if they are patient, IMO.

Isca92
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
BSI, I agree that we have a solid young group, thats why I've took the stand if we can land Kovi, and only lose one player like Dubi to make the trade for cap room I would be all for it. In those 3 years we would still have 2 elite scorers and a solid group with them. I also don't want to tie up big dollars for long if we don't get Kovi because not many bring the scoring threat that Kovi does. So with not getting him let the kids develop and see what they need to fill in. If Stepan or Grachev are going to be a number 1 center in say 2 years, why trade for Spezza (I know he is now saying he wants to stay just using him as an example), whos locked up for 7 to fill those 2 years.

bsi
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Yup, lets sink or swim with the guys we got IMO. But let's be patient cus they're gonna make mistakes and we aren't likely gonna challenge for the cup in the next couple years...nothing new, just a different approach.

Isca92
07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
You gotta be bad to be good (deep) or we can make these middle of the road moves and stay mediocre.

letsgorangers27
07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
speaking of twitter what happened to averys?

apdamico
07-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I believe D Mikhail Pashnin needs to be added to this core group of young talent. He was the 1st overall pick last season in the KHL and has 1-year left on his KHL contract. He has made it clear he intends on coming to the U.S. and playing for the Rangers after his KHL contract expires.

Rangers in 7
07-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I hope he doesn't do something stupid, for the first time in years we have a young crop of talent that most teams would love to have. We will be a cup contender in 3 years if they are patient, IMO.

while i love our prospects as much as the next person i wouldnt go that far.....most of the young prospects on the rangers have upside, no doubting that....but none has proved that on the higher levels such as the AHL

Anisimov it took two years for him to get comfortable so hopefully grachev adjusts this year...but we have to wait and see...hopefully they all pan out, but probably wont....im hoping though

bsi
07-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Most of our prospects haven't even played in the AHL yet.

Isca92
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Ill take international competition over AHL.

liltedspop
07-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Personally I dont see why everyone is so high on Anisimov, when I look at him I see 3rd. line skill. I am far higher on Brandon Dubinsky's potential than I am on Artem Anisimov, sorry I see like a 15 to 20 goal ceiling for this kid, he's not a great skater, he's not physical at all. I am not in love with him, Derek Stepan will easily replace him as the organizations top center prospect.

bsi
07-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Personally I dont see why everyone is so high on Anisimov, when I look at him I see 3rd. line skill. I am far higher on Brandon Dubinsky's potential than I am on Artem Anisimov, sorry I see like a 15 to 20 goal ceiling for this kid, he's not a great skater, he's not physical at all. I am not in love with him, Derek Stepan will easily replace him as the organizations top center prospect.

I agree, Stepan will be a much better player as will Kreider. Anisimov needs to learn to use his size and he needs to be a little more aware when someone is gonna hit him, he gets rocked like nobody's business. He's only young though so he has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

jpfunk86
07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Our prospect core is real deep and we have some great puck moving dmen as well as some real talented forwards but do we have that big mean dman that we have been lacking all these years coming up in the system? I'm not too familiar outside of the big names of our prospects so I'm unsure but if not it seems to me that might be something we need to adress real soon.

NY STALLION 86
07-23-2010, 04:23 PM
The kid we drafted in the 1st round this year McIlrath is supposidly a mean Dman. He is young and raw and not ready for a couple years though

liltedspop
07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Our prospect core is real deep and we have some great puck moving dmen as well as some real talented forwards but do we have that big mean dman that we have been lacking all these years coming up in the system? I'm not too familiar outside of the big names of our prospects so I'm unsure but if not it seems to me that might be something we need to adress real soon.

Ryan McDonaugh who will make the team this year imo is going to be a star defenseman for years to come.

jpfunk86
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
For some reason I thought he was another smaller guy, not a big scary presence. We need a Ulfie or Beukeboom again, strike fear into the hearts of the people anywhere near The King

liltedspop
07-23-2010, 08:53 PM
For some reason I thought he was another smaller guy, not a big scary presence. We need a Ulfie or Beukeboom again, strike fear into the hearts of the people anywhere near The King

McD is 6'2" 225 & will play closer to 230 235 by the time camps ends & he is an imposing physical presence on the ice. I think you'll be plenty pleased with him dont worry.

jpfunk86
07-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Im not sure who i was confusing him with but yea that sounds exactly what i was talking about

NECKLOCK
07-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I've seen on a few prospect rating sites that Mcilrath may get some playing time at some point this season. They say his defensive skills are there he just needs to adjust to the speed and conditioning of the game. I've seen clips of this kid standing people up on the blue line like the brick wall that scott stevens use to be. One of the guys they commonly compare Mcilrath to is Jim Schoenfeld who was nasty in his day and just happens to be in our front office. I can't see Mcilrath making the team til next year at the earliest but I look forward to the day because him and McDonaugh paired together would be scary for anyone carrying the puck down. They better have there head up.

nystandup
07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Let's just bring up the Wolfpack to play, but seriously I can't wait to watch our home grown talent.

nyr1980
07-25-2010, 03:15 AM
I've seen on a few prospect rating sites that Mcilrath may get some playing time at some point this season. They say his defensive skills are there he just needs to adjust to the speed and conditioning of the game. I've seen clips of this kid standing people up on the blue line like the brick wall that scott stevens use to be. One of the guys they commonly compare Mcilrath to is Jim Schoenfeld who was nasty in his day and just happens to be in our front office. I can't see Mcilrath making the team til next year at the earliest but I look forward to the day because him and McDonaugh paired together would be scary for anyone carrying the puck down. They better have there head up.

Mcilraith will actually be returning to Moose Jaw in Junior this year- at least to start the year. I havent heard whether or not hes signed a contract yet, but that would have to happen first if he has not. Scouting reports have said hes improved dramatically in all facets each of the last two years. You have to figure though that the earliest hell see the NHL would be sometime during the 11-12 season, but probably not unilt the following year

Isca92
07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Unless he is going to play the whole year, the most we will see him is the first 7-9 games. I don't remember what the cutoff is but a player can only be sent down to Juniors at that point and not recalled, without losing his eligibility in juniors.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Unless he is going to play the whole year, the most we will see him is the first 7-9 games. I don't remember what the cutoff is but a player can only be sent down to Juniors at that point and not recalled, without losing his eligibility in juniors.

I believe you are correct. I think a 9 game tryout is allowed before being sent back to juniors. I'm surprised that is even being mentioned. I thought he was 2-3 years away after hearing people speak at the draft.

Isca92
07-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Unless were trading/demoting we don't really see the spot for him this year. Mcdonagh should make the team otherwise he would have stayed another year in college. Girardi, MDZ, Rosival, Redden, Gilroy, Staal (if resigned), Eminger, I just don't see the spot for McIlraith this year. If someone gets traded during the season, its more likely to see Sauer come up then to bring him up, IMO.

jpfunk86
07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
I would kill to se gilroy play the wing a little this year, especially with the stacked d-core were going to have .He has the hands and skill set for it

SLY WILLIAMS
07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I would kill to se gilroy play the wing a little this year, especially with the stacked d-core were going to have

I have been saying this for a while. With his speed and hands I think it is worth a shot. Bob Brook and Ron Greshner played some forward for us. :)

Isca92
07-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Gilroy could be the 13 forward/ 7th defenseman, which wouldn't be so bad. This way were always covered for game day scratches. Maybe he could play the games when we play a team that doesn't have a heavy weight fighter and Boogy isn't needed. If someone gets hurt or is getting scratched for performance no one needs to be called up.

Redfish
07-25-2010, 04:42 PM
I believe you are correct. I think a 9 game tryout is allowed before being sent back to juniors. I'm surprised that is even being mentioned. I thought he was 2-3 years away after hearing people speak at the draft.

After the draft the view on McIlrath did seem to center around a 2-3 year progression for joining the NHL, although I do not believe I ever heard Ranger management peg a timeframe. After prospects camp, though, Gordie Clark did specifically reference an outside chance at making the club this year. I think he and others would be surprised if that actually happened, yet, it shed some insight into what kind of a timeline Ranger insiders are thinking about. And it doesn't appear to be 2-3 years.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Gilroy could be the 13 forward/ 7th defenseman, which wouldn't be so bad. This way were always covered for game day scratches. Maybe he could play the games when we play a team that doesn't have a heavy weight fighter and Boogy isn't needed. If someone gets hurt or is getting scratched for performance no one needs to be called up.

That is an interesting idea. I'd like to give it a try. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
After the draft the view on McIlrath did seem to center around a 2-3 year progression for joining the NHL, although I do not believe I ever heard Ranger management peg a timeframe. After prospects camp, though, Gordie Clark did specifically reference an outside chance at making the club this year. I think he and others would be surprised if that actually happened, yet, it shed some insight into what kind of a timeline Ranger insiders are thinking about. And it doesn't appear to be 2-3 years.

I think next years training camp may tell the story much more than this year but you never know. :)