PDA

View Full Version : How legendary would Paul, Melo, Amare on the Knicks against the Heat be for the NBA?

Boston Faithful
07-22-2010, 03:05 AM
The Knicks and Heat had a bitter rivalry for the second half of the 1990s.

If Paul got traded to the Knicks this offseason and then Carmelo signed next year, how huge would this be for the NBA?

Millions upon millions would tune into Knicks-Heat every year and in my opinion, the two trios really don't differentiate in how good they would be.

While Wade and LeBron are in the "Jordan" category, that team doesn't have the facilitator that Paul would be for the Knicks. And I think Amare is a better power forward than Bosh, but most teams wanted Bosh over Amare because of age and injuries.

Carmelo can do a lot of things that LeBron and Wade can do.

This rivalry would come down to who has the better role players.

But it would equal major revenue for the NBA.

ldc62
07-22-2010, 03:08 AM
Wade and Paul play different positions so I can't compare them. Lebron>Melo, Bosh>Amare. Plus I'm not sold on Dantoni's coaching strategies. Not sure how the rest of their roster would look like for the Knicks, but Heat should still be better than them.

But back to the original question: It would be exciting, but Boston vs LA was legendary, this would just be amazing not 'legendary'.

Wade>You
07-22-2010, 03:09 AM
It's not the history of Boston and LA, but when these two teams were good in the 90s, everybody was watching. You'd never know when a fight would break out.

Maybe it won't come to that since these guys know each other (perhaps only Bosh + Amare would go at it), but it would be great for the NBA nonetheless.

CBCable
07-22-2010, 03:14 AM
As a Mavs fan who has accepted (barring a spectacular trade or acquisition) that the Mavs probably aren't winning a title anytime soon, I would love this.

But I'd like to see Kobe beat both teams before he retires.

Canterbury
07-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Some 25 teams will cease to exist, according to ESPN.

iggypop123
07-22-2010, 03:17 AM
would take 2 years to assemble

dimedrpr
07-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Not happening so who cares.

Raph12
07-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Not that big a deal, LA will beat the both for the next two years...

Trouble87
07-22-2010, 03:28 AM
stacked teams that are built by raiding other rosters isn't good for the league

Paul leaves NO for NY and that NO market would suffer tremendously

I like watching teams with lots of talent (OKC, MEM, POR, MIL, CHI) but not these super teams that throw around money or make lopsided trades.

I would love to see NY win a championship but if they do it like certain teams its going to be cheapened

Knickerbocker34
07-22-2010, 03:31 AM
I agree i think the Lakers will win again next year especially bringing back Phil Jackson... but after that Heat and KNICKERBOCKERS

dimedrpr
07-22-2010, 03:34 AM

I like watching teams with lots of talent (OKC, MEM, POR, MIL, CHI) but not these super teams that throw around money or make lopsided trades.

I would love to see NY win a championship but if they do it like certain teams its going to be cheapened

You must not be a Yankee fan then?

Chronz
07-22-2010, 04:03 AM
It would definitely help the league thats for sure

KingOf215
07-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Great for TV, but I'm not sold on an NYK team who'd have 2 defensively challenged forwards paired with a defensively challenged coach.

tonyd3b54
07-22-2010, 04:21 AM
i wouldnt watch...

heathonater
07-22-2010, 05:09 AM
it would be a big money maker, but it would not be a true rivalry. ive heard a few good points on rivalries in that all these players are friends and make too much money to genuinely hate each other. never thought that the formation of the celtics in '08 would have this big of an impact on future movements by star players.

naztrack
07-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Wade and Paul play different positions so I can't compare them. Lebron>Melo, Bosh>Amare. Plus I'm not sold on Dantoni's coaching strategies. Not sure how the rest of their roster would look like for the Knicks, but Heat should still be better than them.

But back to the original question: It would be exciting, but Boston vs LA was legendary, this would just be amazing not 'legendary'.

your drunk....give me the keys :facepalm:, Bosh is no way better than amare, and Lebron has a better overall game than Melo but Melo is a better scorer by far. (drinking and typing isnt recommended on this site :mad:)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Not that big a deal, LA will beat the both for the next two years...

Thanks Raph you're most of the times right:phew:

barreleffact
07-22-2010, 06:38 AM
your drunk....give me the keys :facepalm:, Bosh is no way better than amare, and Lebron has a better overall game than Melo but Melo is a better scorer by far. (drinking and typing isnt recommended on this site :mad:)

then you should stop drinking because everything he said was accurate if not at least debatable. regardless of overall game, lebron scores the ball easier and more efficiently than melo. and bosh is way better than amare. bosh has better defense and tremendously better rebounding. they both have good mid range games and equal post games but i tend to say bosh is better in that too personally. the only thing amare has over bosh is the mentality to dunk over people. he runs the puck and roll far superior to bosh but thats it

edit: back to the topic tho. it would be interesting. the NY combo wouldnt be as overall talented as the MIA trio, but they would all compliment each other very very well if they can defend

AddiX
07-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Melo destroyed Kobe in the playoffs, and the refs let Kobe foul him all day. I never in my life saw Kobe struggle against anyone the way he did against Melo.

Melo is a top dog for sure.

FarOutIos
07-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Unfortunately, it has been good for the NBA...from a $$$ point of view. The Lakers and the Celtics both raided other teams. Pau to the Lakers. Garnett to the Celtics. Both teams that they came from haven't been contenders recently... so those deals definitely helped one side.

Slimsim
07-22-2010, 07:44 AM

It's funny because most poster who dislike the Lakers are now looking at them as the Heros of Basketball. Raph didn't even have faith to say his own team to beat them.

knickfan4life
07-22-2010, 07:54 AM
would be great for me, ill tell ya dat lol

lebron overall is better than melo, but melo has a MUCH better shot and is a far better scorer

CP3 is a better facilitator than anyone on miamis roster combined

Amare is more explosive and will treat bosh like KG did to Gasol... only diff is, Gasol is a SPANIARD, bosh is a fruitcake... Amare will always have his way with Bosh, no homo

and Gallo is an up and coming player, with Dirk-like abilites and size... NOT THAT HE is like dirk NOW, but he has the ABILITY to be Dirk-like in the future, if he isint, his shot is WET and thats all you need when u have abig 3 like that.... add in a Shaq ttype defender and low post presence and watch out, the knicks will be a dynasty for sure...

but yes, this will be great for the game

netsgiantsyanks
07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
then you should stop drinking because everything he said was accurate if not at least debatable. regardless of overall game, lebron scores the ball easier and more efficiently than melo. and bosh is way better than amare. bosh has better defense and tremendously better rebounding. they both have good mid range games and equal post games but i tend to say bosh is better in that too personally. the only thing amare has over bosh is the mentality to dunk over people. he runs the puck and roll far superior to bosh but thats it

edit: back to the topic tho. it would be interesting. the NY combo wouldnt be as overall talented as the MIA trio, but they would all compliment each other very very well if they can defend

:facepalm:

Minimal
07-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Melo and Paul can give them competition, but that won't be enough. Amare is not in the same league with Paul and Melo, he is simple role player without any defence and big injury chance. And I bet Miami's bench will be much better than NY's.

knickfan4life
07-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Melo and Paul can give them competition, but that won't be enough. Amare is not in the same league with Paul and Melo, he is simple role player without any defence and big injury chance. And I bet Miami's bench will be much better than NY's.

come on mannn, he was a BEAST in the WCF this past post season, your just gonna write that off and call him a regular role player? you have got to be kiddin me

barreleffact
07-22-2010, 08:07 AM

really??? bosh's defense isnt good but amare might as well not even play on that side.

knickfan4life
07-22-2010, 08:08 AM

this year for sure, but if the knicks do or dont get this combo... miami will still be dangerous the following year esp when they can sign a FA to the MLE... lakers are good, but miamis big 3 is better... simple because ok, ill give u kobes a lil old, but his skill is MUCH higher than that of wades, so we can cancel them because of kobes age........ bosh and gasol, i give gasol his edge, not slight edge, but a decent edge

but then LEBRON JAMES... no way anyone else COMBINED can even be put on his levelll BUT again chemistry and all that stuff will have to work out and if not this season, by the followin season, if theres no other similar team with 3-4 DANGEROUS guys, that team will take it... kobe is gettin old man, this past finals what he did was only OK w/ the celtics, he does that with a offensively gifted miami team in a game 7, he is gonna get blown out.

barreleffact
07-22-2010, 08:08 AM
come on mannn, he was a BEAST in the WCF this past post season, your just gonna write that off and call him a regular role player? you have got to be kiddin me

didnt he have games where he had like 4 rebounds??? yea...thats a beast all right.

unleashthebeast
07-22-2010, 08:39 AM
there was one article on espn that said the thunder in 2012 could sign cp3 and superman to max contracts while keeping durant! now that would be scary

thenaj17
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
would be great for me, ill tell ya dat lol

lebron overall is better than melo, but melo has a MUCH better shot and is a far better scorer

CP3 is a better facilitator than anyone on miamis roster combined

Amare is more explosive and will treat bosh like KG did to Gasol... only diff is, Gasol is a SPANIARD, bosh is a fruitcake... Amare will always have his way with Bosh, no homo

and Gallo is an up and coming player, with Dirk-like abilites and size... NOT THAT HE is like dirk NOW, but he has the ABILITY to be Dirk-like in the future, if he isint, his shot is WET and thats all you need when u have abig 3 like that.... add in a Shaq ttype defender and low post presence and watch out, the knicks will be a dynasty for sure...

but yes, this will be great for the game

Not tryin to p*ss on your bonfire or anything but how do all these fantasists think the salary cap will make this possible. Amare has already taken max, Gallo has about 3-4mil i think so CP3 and Melo would have to take a HUGE drop in wages knowing the worst player of the 3, is earning way more than them. Not going to happen in a million years...

xbrackattackx
07-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Yea right. He is gonna kill it in the East.

MrfadeawayJB
07-22-2010, 11:17 AM
If it did happen, it would be a better series than the championship series

Raph12
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
It's funny because most poster who dislike the Lakers are now looking at them as the Heros of Basketball. Raph didn't even have faith to say his own team to beat them.

I've been saying Kobe's the best in the league for years, even when everyone was riding Lebron last season. The Lakers with a healthy Bynum would tear the Heat or the Knicks apart because of the center position. Both Knicks and Heat still wouldn't have a chance against the Pau-Bynum combo, plus with Fisher, Artest and Kobe, they can guard Wade+Lebron/Parker+Melo. The difference is in the frontcourt, I don't even think the Magic can beat them because we have Shard at the 4. If we do the VC+Nelson+Gortat for CP3+Okafor+Posey trade, then having Dwight+Okafor in the front could play with the Gasol+Bynum combo, it all starts with the bigs.

mikealike305
07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
i asked this same question like 2-3 days ago and my thread got closed lol i guess cuz im a heat fan

mavwar53
07-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Just say it does happen, still not a big deal cause they won't meet in the finals, the best it could come to is ECF and who really cares that ain't no championship

mikealike305
07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
^would still be great, would be like the heat and knicks of the 90's, with no ZO probably less fights tho lol

Go_NUGGETS
07-22-2010, 11:58 AM
LoL @ Knicks fans hyping Amare up...

Amare is not better then Bosh...Bosh is still a little immature *****, but he is better then Amare.

mikealike305
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
^agree, glad we got bosh vs amare

Raidaz4Life
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
It wouldn't be THAT legendary mainly because they could never compete against each other for a title.

Go_NUGGETS
07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
ANd honestly..Knicks fans say that Melo wont ever win a championship in Denver...I don't see what makes the Knicks more potentially better in this aspect...

I'll take the role players on the nuggets over the roleplayers on the Knicks anyday.

But of course this is comin from a homer, but it's no different then Knicks fans saying Amare is way better then Bosh. LOL.

x23cbru24x
07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
people might think im nuts but i think this big 3 will be better cause wade and lebron r limited to their points in miami but in ny they wont be cause they have a legit pg that can dish to melo who will be their #1 option then u ghave amare as ur second which will be unstoppable

x23cbru24x
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
ANd honestly..Knicks fans say that Melo wont ever win a championship in Denver...I don't see what makes the Knicks more potentially better in this aspect...

I'll take the role players on the nuggets over the roleplayers on the Knicks anyday.

But of course this is comin from a homer, but it's no different then Knicks fans saying Amare is way better then Bosh. LOL.

dude if paul comes...just say goodbye to melo and dont watch basketball for a bit

mjt20mik
07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Bosh is no way better than Amare. But if it were to happen, it would be amazing. Would start a great rivalry in the East.

heyman321
07-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Hahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahah!!!!!!

That might be the funniest thing I'm going to read all week. You think Amare is acutally better than Bosh? You mean Amare "3 rebounds a game in the playoffs" Stoudemire? They're both soft but Bosh is exponentially better at defense and rebounding.

Amare will suffer tremendously without Nash feeding him easy looks in the pick and roll.

RocketPower2010
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Just want to say one thing because this is so ridiculous that it is sickening.

Ever since the retirement of Wilt Chamberlain, NO ONE in the history of basketball is FAR BETTER at scoring than LeBron James.

I don't really care about the other arguments, but this one is just plain stupid.

HeaTxRipZz
07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Hahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahah!!!!!!

That might be the funniest thing I'm going to read all week. You think Amare is acutally better than Bosh? You mean Amare "3 rebounds a game in the playoffs" Stoudemire? They're both soft but Bosh is exponentially better at defense and rebounding.

Amare will suffer tremendously without Nash feeding him easy looks in the pick and roll.

Oddly enough he averaged over that in the playoffs? Stats are an easy thing to find before posting.

I think it's a definite case on who people feel is better with Bosh obviously a few steps further because of his rebounding numbers. I think both are easily the top 2 PFs in the league today. Amare has banged with the elite bigs of the west and has looked good doing it. There's no doubt hes a top player I think ppl get scared of his knees and start to discredit him. Bosh is the safer bet to speak on because he didn't have that serious surgery that Amare did and had a higher average in rebounds but offensively I do personally feel Amare is better but of course that isn't EVERYTHING in the game of basketball. If you can get them boards and points at that position you definitely move a few places ahead on the board

These 2 blocking numbers are around the same with Amare's numbers boosting up higher in the playoff to nearly 2 a game. But with Bosh not having as many post season appearances I'm trying not to factor that part in. So regular season wise on blocks these guys have pretty much the same average as I said the only difference is rebounds bosh averaging 1-2 more boards a season than amare

sep11ie
07-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Why not just eliminate half the teams in the league? This is getting to be BS.

Go_NUGGETS
07-22-2010, 12:41 PM
dude if paul comes...just say goodbye to melo and dont watch basketball for a bit

Yeah, you stick with the "IF"s, and i'll stick to the "IS".

mikealike305
07-22-2010, 12:42 PM
people might think im nuts but i think this big 3 will be better cause wade and lebron r limited to their points in miami but in ny they wont be cause they have a legit pg that can dish to melo who will be their #1 option then u ghave amare as ur second which will be unstoppable

i disagree, they will be close, not better

Go_NUGGETS
07-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Exactly...I assume that without Nash, NYK will be disappointed with Amare...Amare had ONE of the most genius PGs makin him look good...Who does he have now??

ChiTown'sFinest
07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Dream on Knick fans. Knicks = NBDL. In a game the NBDL All-Stars would win LOL.

nycsports2
07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
anything nycsports is huge : )

Rivera
if melo, paul, amare were on a west coast team with a great fan base that met up in the finals every yr against LBJ Wade n bosh

that would be LEGENDARY

OhSnappp33

You're stupid if you think Bosh is better than Amar'e.

Amar'e is a force, get to know it.

Clowns

shep33
07-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Want him to go to the Knicks, but I see him going to Orlando. Orlando can probably give up Nelson, Gortat/Bass and someone else in that deal. Knicks can't give up anything better than that.

nystandup
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM

:facepalm: Hi Hater

OhSnappp33
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM

My thoughts exactly.

OhSnappp33
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Want him to go to the Knicks, but I see him going to Orlando. Orlando can probably give up Nelson, Gortat/Bass and someone else in that deal. Knicks can't give up anything better than that.

Why does every1 overrate Nelson and Gortat to no end!!!! LOL

No upside at all. AT ALL

You have to get younger and cheaper in this type of scenario for NO.

People just hate on whatever NY has and or doesn't know **** about their players.

bunch of birds

the Knickerbock
07-22-2010, 01:02 PM

djlamer
07-22-2010, 02:02 PM
this would destroy the nba. that would make it another 2 teams to lose their allstars and not be able to sell tickets and lose a ton of money while boosting the knicks who don't even have a problem selling tickets cause they have 12 million people in the city

if this continues, the NBA is gonna lose alot of teams and money

DCB/LAL
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Too bad it wouldn't be in the Finals.

omdigga
07-22-2010, 02:07 PM

:clap:

barreleffact
07-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Just want to say one thing because this is so ridiculous that it is sickening.

Ever since the retirement of Wilt Chamberlain, NO ONE in the history of basketball is FAR BETTER at scoring than LeBron James.

I don't really care about the other arguments, but this one is just plain stupid.

lmao that was funny. you could name a plethora of people who were better at least Shaq, Kobe dropped 82, both of these names before i even mention th far better MICHAEL JEFFERY JORDAN who does EVERYTHING lebron could do except better. you fail. kill yourself

jackdawson
07-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Would be great but Heat will still win because no one can contain A LeBron-Wade combo. They will cause complete havoc and devastation.

Da Knicks
07-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Big money maker!

azkarraga
07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I'd love it.

Bye bye that old LA/BO rivalry...

midwestmadman
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I would be a fan of NYK over MIA.

kEviN21
07-22-2010, 07:24 PM

And yet teams like LA and Boston and Orlando have the best ratings :D Not going to lie I am going to watch as many Miami games as I can this year.

king4day
07-22-2010, 08:45 PM

Maybe not legendary, but considering these two are in the same conference and would play each other multiple times during the season and likely playoffs, it would certainly rekindle their old rivalry.

rufo4100
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Too bad it wouldn't be in the Finals.

Exactly. but id would be amazing.

king4day
07-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Would be great but Heat will still win because no one can contain A LeBron-Wade combo. They will cause complete havoc and devastation.

You'll see a lot of teams implement zone defense against the Heat.
Not saying it'll work, but without a big interior outside of Bosh, that forces those guys to be shooters. If it worked for Phoenix against LA, it can work against those two.

Does anyone else think the league will start the season with a Heat/Knicks opening night?

runforrestrunx9
07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
itd be pretty cool all feelings aside

bringinwood
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
The Knicks and Heat had a bitter rivalry for the second half of the 1990s.

If Paul got traded to the Knicks this offseason and then Carmelo signed next year, how huge would this be for the NBA?

Millions upon millions would tune into Knicks-Heat every year and in my opinion, the two trios really don't differentiate in how good they would be.

While Wade and LeBron are in the "Jordan" category, that team doesn't have the facilitator that Paul would be for the Knicks. And I think Amare is a better power forward than Bosh, but most teams wanted Bosh over Amare because of age and injuries.

Carmelo can do a lot of things that LeBron and Wade can do.

This rivalry would come down to who has the better role players.

But it would equal major revenue for the NBA.

From a revenue standpoint, 3 superstars on a team actually hurts the league... 6 on 2 teams hurts the NBA more... Here's why.... Superstars are the draw in the NBA... They are going to draw in revenue wherever they play... If you have 3 superstars on one team, the revenue might spike initially but, over the longrun, if those players were on different teams, they would draw more to each of their respective markets....

From a competition standpoint, I look at it like this.... The hyped up pitcher's dual that ends up being 12-6...

One of those teams will gel nicely and win some championships.... The other will crash and burn horribly while being in cap hell for the next 5 years....

I tend to believe the Heat will win some championships... If the Knicks got Paul and Melo to go with Amare, i'm not sure it's going to work... Melo is a guy that needs to be the focus... Amare is a guy that is injury riddled and has some issues with attention... Paul is the most complete of the three... Not to forget the, almost certain, defensive liability that comes along with Amare and Melo's scoring...

All three of Miami's new trio are excellent defenders.... I'm not sure if it would be "legendary"... I think the Heat would still be lightyears ahead of the pack...

BkOriginalOne
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
What's funny is that Bosh and Amare are the weak links for their respective teams.
Too bad, Amare is a better scorer and is tougher.

I think Deron WIlliams would be better to match up with Wade, but Paul can get it done.

Melo's gonna have a career year and head into FA.
Expect Carmelo Anthony to lead the league in scoring and with a shortage of Bigs, expect him to get more boards this year. Maybe He'll finally get his assist per game over 4.

mets77
07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
it be amazing but it has to happen 1st

bringinwood
07-22-2010, 09:23 PM
You'll see a lot of teams implement zone defense against the Heat.
Not saying it'll work, but without a big interior outside of Bosh, that forces those guys to be shooters. If it worked for Phoenix against LA, it can work against those two.

Does anyone else think the league will start the season with a Heat/Knicks opening night?

I've seen alot of the "zone defense" talk as a way that be implemented to offset LeBron, Wade, and Bosh...

I've also seen LeBron and Wade break through triple teams without blinking an eye...

It doesn't matter if the other team is carrying automatic weapons, they still need to be a good shot...

I don't think any team in this league will run a zone so perfectly that it will offset the onslaught of scoring by Bosh, Wade, LeBron and Miller.... I hate saying this because teams like my sixers will be in the lottery for years as a result but, this is just the reality of those four playing alongside each other...

bholly
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I have to disagree with the 'It wouldn't be that good because they wouldn't even meet in the finals' category. There've been heaps of great in-conference battles between contenders. Think of all those years with Detroit/Chicago or Detroit/Boston or even Lakers/Kings. Hell, Redsox/Yankees is one of the biggest rivalries in American sports, and they don't meet in the World Series.
The winner would still be going to the finals, and the loser going home, so it doesn't matter if they aren't meeting in the actual finals series.

TheHeat3
07-22-2010, 09:38 PM
It would be so legen-...... wait for it

NYYCowboys
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
As a Knicks fan obviously I'd like to see this, but I'd rather see Patrick Ewing, Allan Houston, Latrell Sprewell and LJ vs. Zo, Hardaway, PJ Brown and Mashburn play then these spoiled brats any day of the week.

meloman1592
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
It would be more than legendary.

jeter 2
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM
If the Knicks are able to pull Melo and Paul, the series between Wade and his b*******s and the Knicks would depend on who the Knicks did not give up for Chris Paul. It would be in hands of the player that Knicks did not give up. The players I am talking about are Danilo Galinari, Wilson Chandler and Anthony Randolph.

blams
07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
LBJ, Wade, and Bosh are still significantly better.

smiddy012
07-22-2010, 11:35 PM
not that legendary.