PDA

View Full Version : The Knicks had the best 2010 offseason (other than the Heat)

knicks09
07-21-2010, 08:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Who-besides-the-Heat-won-the-summer-of-2010-;_ylt=At9Sc13NNGFrRXJUgBw_yNXYrYZ4?urn=nba-257142

With the free-agency period winding down, and C.J. Watson(notes) one of the bigger stories of the day, I think it's time to declare a winner or two.

And I think you'd be with me in handing the crown not the championship, but trophy for annoying the most people during the summer to the Miami Heat. LeBron James(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes), Chris Bosh(notes); and a host of others. They win. They might not win it all, but they owned July.

But what of the others? Not the teams looking to tinker, but the ones that went for broke? The ones that spent the last months, years, clearing out cap space in anticipation of LeBron's little dog and pony show? Let's rank.

1. New York Knicks

Notable give-ups: A large cadre of players that Isiah Thomas acquired. So, nobody special, save for David Lee(notes).

Significant additions: Amar'e Stoudemire(notes), Anthony Randolph(notes), Raymond Felton(notes), Ronny Turiaf(notes), Kelenna Azubuike(notes).

Stoudemire was the biggest name to make a move beyond the triptych down in Miami, and those picking Chicago as the top team might be overrating Chicago's take mainly because of the team's already stout foundation in Derrick Rose(notes) and Joakim Noah(notes). Chicago's the better team, New York made the bigger moves. Maybe better ones, too.

Whether or not you pick the Bulls or Knicks at this slot likely depends on how you view Amar'e Stoudemire's abilities without a pure passer like Steve Nash(notes) alongside him. And most indications are that Amar'e will be quite beastly.

2. Chicago Bulls

Notable give-ups: John Salmons(notes), Tyrus Thomas(notes), Kirk Hinrich(notes), the 17th pick in the 2010 draft.

Significant additions: Carlos Boozer(notes), Kyle Korver(notes), Omer Asik(notes), Ronnie Brewer(notes), C.J. Watson.

The Bulls no doubt regret letting Kirk Hinrich and John Salmons run free, but Thomas and a middling first rounder weren't too tough to give up, and the trio of Korver, Brewer and Watson might end up combining to top the potential contributions of Salmons and Hinrich (who will make around $17 million this year in Milwaukee and Washington).

And, however fleeting, the Bulls did have a real shot at LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. They had to take that chance.

3. New Jersey Nets

Notable give-ups: Vince Carter(notes), Richard Jefferson(notes), Chris Douglas-Roberts(notes), Yi Jianlian(notes), the entire 2009-10 season.

Significant additions: Travis Outlaw(notes), Anthony Morrow(notes), Jordan Farmar(notes).

OK, that didn't work.

The Nets will still boast a solid, young team what with Brook Lopez(notes), Derrick Favors(notes), and Devin Harris(notes) on board but they more or less whiffed in adding anyone with star potential. Lopez, Favors and Harris all have a chance to be stars, but adding role players like Outlaw and Morrow and Farmar to the established prospects wasn't exactly what New Jersey's front office had in mind.

And, no. I don't consider Billy King a "significant addition."

4. Los Angeles Clippers

Notable give-ups: Al Thornton(notes)?

Significant additions: Randy Foye(notes), Ryan Gomes(notes), Craig Smith(notes). Possibly several other Minnesota Timberwolves from the 2006-07 season.

The Clippers just happened to have a bunch of contracts that were to expire in 2010, so it's not as if they were working some master plan. The team's front office (?) did go to kiss LeBron James' ring, though, so they get lumped in. And they get lumped on.

This could be a good team next year, with some solid players and the return of Blake Griffin(notes) from a broken kneecap. But in terms of chasing down helpers? This hasn't been their best offseason.

Ironically, the best part of that Minnesota Timberwolves team that wasn't named "Kevin Garnett?" It was Dwane Casey, whom the Clippers declined to hire in favor of former Bulls coach (?) Vinny Del Negro.

NYKnickFanatic
07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
-___-

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
knicks offseason although good= fail

Iggz53
07-21-2010, 08:39 PM
I would easily disagree with that. I do like their extra additions, with Azubuike, Randolph, Turiaf, and Felton. But paying Amare 100 million over 5 years is just stupid imo and there's no way around it.

king4day
07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Where are the Bucks in there?
I think the Bulls get second prize in this one followed by the Bucks.

Evolution23
07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Besides Miami, NY and Chitown and the real winners in this years offseason.. It was looking like Chicago was gona be left nobody but they got Boozer and hes a great pickup for them.

JWO35
07-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Knicks wanted LeBron....they didn't get him, FAIL.

eibbor
07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I hate the Knicks

but

I think they did pretty good especially considering they left room for next year as well.

I personally think Chi town did the 2nd best in FA though.

BKNets21
If you forget about the previous 2 years of constant hype about LeBron, then it was a good offseason, but when you remember about that you realize it was average at best.

jeter 2

I disagree. The Knicks had a backup plan. In 2011 its to get Carmelo. If we did not sign him, try to sign 2 maxes in 2012. We are not a failure yet. Give us 2 years.

asandhu23
07-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Golden State Warriors: New Owner ( got rid of the worst owner in the history of NBA ), Record price sale, New Jerseys, New Logo, David Lee, Dorell Wright, Jeremy Lin, Charlie Bell, Dan Gadzuric.

we belong somewhere up there

D-Leethal
07-21-2010, 09:52 PM
I hate the Knicks

but

I think they did pretty good especially considering they left room for next year as well.

I personally think Chi town did the 2nd best in FA though.

Thats a good point, with all the moves we made we can still have max room next season very easily (will have to trade Chandler or decline a bunch of team options)

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I disagree. The Knicks had a backup plan. In 2011 its to get Carmelo. If we did not sign him, try to sign 2 maxes in 2012. We are not a failure yet. Give us 2 years.

so give u 2 more years after the 3 years thrown away for lebron? 5 years of irrelevance isnt failure?

knicks09
07-21-2010, 10:01 PM

WHAT ? You act like LeBron was the only option and that the Knicks didn't get any good players in the end.

D-Leethal
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
so give u 2 more years after the 3 years thrown away for lebron? 5 years of irrelevance isnt failure?

Can you explain how we 'threw away' 2 years? We had the highest salary cap in the league and won 23 games, we cut the cap to 35 mill under and won more games in those 2 years of cost cutting than we did of any consecutive 2 seasons in the previous 5 years......we added a 5 time allstar and top 5 PF, we added a legit PG on a steal of a deal, and we got a bunch of young assets to use in a trade if need be, while preserving flexibility for the future. We didn't 'throw away' anything, we did what was necessary to become a legit team again....

With the team we had we had no ability to make any moves to improve, no cap space, no top 5 picks (we were consistently winning between 23-33 games, not low enough for top 5 picks), we had no assets to trade, and our best players were making obscene amounts of money on long term deals and they were all career losers......Walsh has done a tremendous job with our roster, besides Amare every single person on our roster can now be considered 'underpaid' and 'very tradeable'

At this point we look like a 5-8 sseed playoff team with the ability to add another max or trade for a stud, all things we couldn't say for the past decade

The Dream
07-21-2010, 10:09 PM

:facepalm: at your sig
you some teenage girl pop lover?

mjqusoldier
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Yea the Knicks should definitely be a 40+ win team next season

topdog
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Let's not spin this: Knicks failed. Amare is a consolation prize, but they did not make even close to the best moves. If Melo and Paul end up leading the home crowd at MSG, then the Knicks have something to talk about. As of right now, the Knicks overpaid for a guy who's career has been tied to the elite skills of Steve Nash and are pairing him with a decent PG and several guys who play best at his position.

Crackadalic
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
We were consistently winning 23-33 games for the last 5 years we had overpaid players that all thought they was G.O.A.T. we had nothing but expiring contract players the last two years that knew they were not wanted and still had a better record with less talent then that so called team we had with Isiah i rather have a team with a top 5 Pf and a team full of young players that will continually develop there game have no such poison in the locker room with cap room for the next two years then have a bunch of career losers stuck in cap hell and fight for a 8 seed with a so called "Talented" roster we got from Isiah

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
knicks fail

eibbor
07-21-2010, 10:43 PM
We were consistently winning 23-33 games for the last 5 years we had overpaid players that all thought they was G.O.A.T. we had nothing but expiring contract players the last two years that knew they were not wanted and still had a better record with less talent then that so called team we had with Isiah i rather have a team with a top 5 Pf and a team full of young players that will continually develop there game have no such poison in the locker room with cap room for the next two years then have a bunch of career losers stuck in cap hell and fight for a 8 seed with a so called "Talented" roster we got from Isiah

I hate the Knicks
but

at least they made moves.

If Isaiah gets GM God help you

PrestigeWldWde
07-21-2010, 10:43 PM

As well as the Bulls.

But considering who the Bulls did get, they should be #2 after Miami...no doubt. As a team, the Bulls got bigger, stronger, and much needed shooting off the bench...and they aren't done. T-Mac is still very much in play.

PrestigeWldWde
07-21-2010, 10:47 PM
:facepalm: at your sig
you some teenage girl pop lover?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: @ your comment...I guess you don't know who Nicki Minaj is buddy...time for you to get cable tv.

elizur
07-21-2010, 10:51 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: @ your comment...I guess you don't know who Nicki Minaj is buddy...time for you to get cable tv.

who the hell is Nicki Minaj. I have no clue. That sig is very poor, no other way around it.

HouRealCoach
07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
First is Bucks, Second is Houston

PrestigeWldWde
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
who the hell is Nicki Minaj. I have no clue. That sig is very poor, no other way around it.

Lol...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:wow. You have got to be kidding me. Another guy who needs to get cable tv.

Slimsim
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
knicks fail

Coming from a Ban wagon fan.

Slimsim
07-21-2010, 11:05 PM
MY Knicks Can Compete for a playoff spot and still target a max in 2011 things are looking good.

xxxplicit69
07-21-2010, 11:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Who-besides-the-Heat-won-the-summer-of-2010-;_ylt=At9Sc13NNGFrRXJUgBw_yNXYrYZ4?urn=nba-257142

Nice arguments but I would definitely put Chicago number 1 behind Miami as far as off-season moves. You do have a point about Chicago already having Rose, Noah, and (kind of funny how ppl forget to mention Deng. He only avg. about 18 and 8). :eyebrow:

But we needed a post player in the worst way, so we went out and pick up Boozer who is in Bosh's and Stoudemare's class. He does come 3rd on that list but not a far 3rd. Then the Bulls needed an outside shooter in the worst way, so we went out and picked up Korver. Brewer just adds nice depth and is definitely and Tom Thibodeau type of player. C.J. Watson definitely makes up for the loss of Hinrich and if he can keep his SPG up, he'll definitely fit in with Thibodeau.

NY Knicks definitely made some respectable moves too. It's definitely in the same class of Chicago as far as off-season moves. Also, I believe the Knicks are a playoff team.

knicks09
07-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Lol...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:wow. You have got to be kidding me. Another guy who needs to get cable tv.

WTF does getting cable have anything to know who she is ? You act like she's an actrice on some show. Plus who cares who she is, it's a $1ut with a fake body and an annoying voice

NYYCowboys
07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
There are 4 real Miami Heat fans in the world the rest are a bunch of clueless morons who jump on the bandwagon every time they put out a good team. Same goes for the Marlins, Panthers and Dolphins. Miami is a beautiful place, and I love that city probably 2nd to NY, but the fans are such fair weather fans and it pisses me off how they talk so much jive once something good happens to the Heat.

Anyway these fake Heat fans saying the Knicks had a failure of an offseason is obviously a testament to how little a clue they have about basketball. We cleared out a ton of cap space and got rid of our terrible veterans from last year who weren't winners and replaced them with a superstar in Amare Stoudemire, and a great young core of other players. Right now there are few teams in the league who have a better young core than the Knicks do. And we still have a shot at landing a star in free agency over the next two years, and if they all sign extensions we can use Eddy Curry's expiring to trade at the deadline for good players. So watch out for the Knicks they may not be great this year (5-10 seed in the east), but in a couple years they will be one of the premiere teams in the league.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-21-2010, 11:45 PM
knicks made moves this yr , knicks have max money next yr , knicks had 1 of the best off season as this article suggest

ChiSox219
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
The Knicks gave a $100 million contract to a player that isn't even top 5 at his own position, and knew they wouldn't be able to insure it.

I'm sorry, but giving out terrible long term contracts does not qualify as a good off-season, not in my book at least.

I'd love to see Houston win the lottery next year that would be LMAO

mynameismo
07-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Anthony Randolph will be a beast in NY.
Bottom line is.. NYK2010 > NYK2009

xxxplicit69
07-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Golden State Warriors: New Owner ( got rid of the worst owner in the history of NBA ), Record price sale, New Jerseys, New Logo, David Lee, Dorell Wright, Jeremy Lin, Charlie Bell, Dan Gadzuric.

who is that a picture of?:drool:

nystandup
07-22-2010, 12:32 AM
The Knicks gave a $100 million contract to a player that isn't even top 5 at his own position, and knew they wouldn't be able to insure it.

I'm sorry, but giving out terrible long term contracts does not qualify as a good off-season, not in my book at least.

I'd love to see Houston win the lottery next year that would be LMAO

Not a top 5 player at his own position but he's made All NBA 2nd team 3 times :facepalm: Nice try Hater....FAIL

PrestigeWldWde
07-22-2010, 12:33 AM
WTF does getting cable have anything to know who she is ? You act like she's an actrice on some show. Plus who cares who she is, it's a $1ut with a fake body and an annoying voice

FAIL:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facep alm:

xxxplicit69
07-22-2010, 12:33 AM
There are 4 real Miami Heat fans in the world the rest are a bunch of clueless morons who jump on the bandwagon every time they put out a good team. Same goes for the Marlins, Panthers and Dolphins. Miami is a beautiful place, and I love that city probably 2nd to NY, but the fans are such fair weather fans and it pisses me off how they talk so much jive once something good happens to the Heat.

Anyway these fake Heat fans saying the Knicks had a failure of an offseason is obviously a testament to how little a clue they have about basketball. We cleared out a ton of cap space and got rid of our terrible veterans from last year who weren't winners and replaced them with a superstar in Amare Stoudemire, and a great young core of other players. Right now there are few teams in the league who have a better young core than the Knicks do. And we still have a shot at landing a star in free agency over the next two years, and if they all sign extensions we can use Eddy Curry's expiring to trade at the deadline for good players. So watch out for the Knicks they may not be great this year (5-10 seed in the east), but in a couple years they will be one of the premiere teams in the league.

I know you aren't talking about the North Carolina Panthers....:confused: I guess there's a hockey team named the Panthers in Florida. As for the Seedings in the east, you probably mean 5-8 seed cuz seeds 9 and 10 won't get you to the playoffs. Your Knicks will be nice, especially with D'Antoni as the coach.

PrestigeWldWde
07-22-2010, 12:36 AM
knicks made moves this yr , knicks have max money next yr , knicks had 1 of the best off season as this article suggest

Did you see what they did with their max money this year??? They OVERPAID for Stoudemire. When Melo stays in Denver, who will they overpay for next year??? How can you call this one of the best offseasons for the Knicks? Homerism is how.

PrestigeWldWde
07-22-2010, 12:39 AM
The bottom line is the Bulls had the 2nd best offseason besides the Heat. The reason is the Bulls put themselves in a position to not only win...but to be one of the top 2 teams in the Eastern Conference. They are in much better position than the Knicks. Therefore, they had a pretty damn good offseason.

Sadds The Gr8
07-22-2010, 12:56 AM

:laugh:

knicks offseason although good= fail
this

PrestigeWldWde
07-22-2010, 01:08 AM

Really? lol...these guys should instantly put you at the bottom of the list...just seeing those guys on your team should make other teams extremely happy.

SouthSideRookie
07-22-2010, 01:21 AM
How can someone think that they had a great offseason if their biggest signing was giving Amare a max deal! And no, its very doubtful that the Knicks can aquire Paul, what assets do they have. Theres a reason why other teams and the Rockets are salivating over the picks that came from the Knicks, especially next years pick.

Pauleboman
07-22-2010, 01:22 AM

Yup good points man and NY did good..The Bulls are still working on making the team even better with the money we saved with Lebum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry1y7aAFfnY

IversonIsKrazy
07-22-2010, 01:25 AM
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. Milwuakee (had a lot of quiet but smart moves)
4. NY (The Lee trade was pretty good)
5. NJ (Got good role players)

John408
07-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Where are the Bucks in there?
I think the Bulls get second prize in this one followed by the Bucks.

taking in maggette crap contract, overpaying for gooden and paying salmons. bad offseason.

I think golden state did a great job this offseason

Wizard of O's
07-22-2010, 02:02 AM
the rockets are so going to have the best after they pull of this upcoming trade.

Patterson
resigning Lowry and Scola (way under value)
Brad Miller.

and not landing Chris Bosh which is a blessing.

sargon21
07-22-2010, 03:12 AM
bulls have to be above the knicks imo, but the knicks are def. improved, anyone arguing that doesn't know basketball

dimedrpr
07-22-2010, 03:43 AM
WHAT ? You act like LeBron was the only option and that the Knicks didn't get any good players in the end.

They got the scraps that Knicks fans said they hoped they didn't end up with before this summer started. I remember so many Knicks fans before the FA period started saying "God I hope we don't end up paying max dollars to Amare or Joe Johnson if we don't get Lebron". Well, you guys did and then you got Felton to run point for a couple years (big deal) and gave up David Lee for the Warrior's castoffs. Knicks will not be good this year and will resemble the Warriors in more ways than one. Lots of 125-115 losses.

What?
07-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Am I the only one sick of the wait a few year crap you here from Knicks fans honestly its starting to sound as bad as the Cubbies but all the same this offseason has been a huge success for them except for Amar'e contract but if they didn't get him then it would probably be compared to Nets and Clippers.

I still think the Bulls had a better offseason just because of that Amar'e deal and the fact that the Bulls fixed all of there glaring problems