PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant next face of NBA?

sens#11fan
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Will kevin Durant be the face of the NBA once kobe bryant retires. And call me crazy but i think that Kevin durant is a better player or will be a better player than Lebron James and will have a more succesfull career. Right now kobe is the best and will always be better than kevin and lebron. What are your thoughts?

ManRam
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Kevin Durant will never out do LeBron in terms of attention-garnered. He also will never be better overall.

He's probably the guy the NBA would want to be the face of the NBA, and he might become the overwhelming fan favorite...but this is still LeBron's league in terms of attention and fan-interest, and it will be even though he's in Miami.

MagicBucsSox
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
durant will never be the face useless he puts together a 3peat. but his face is on the new nba mt rushmore with LeBron,Wade,Dwight,Paul

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 05:16 PM
i dont think he'll be a better player than lebron, and the more i think about it, he's not as marketable as lebron is

lebron has the ego and fun personality to make him an international icon.

joel47802
07-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I dont know if you want to say Durant will have a better career in terms of rings because James will prolly win a couple in Miami i do think he could put up better individual stats now that lebron has wade and bosh to the share the ball with. Once Kobe retires it is up for grabs someone could come out of no where in the next few years and become the next face of the NBA because I dont see Kobe retiring any time soon. If i had to choose someone right now I would prolly choose D-wade.

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 05:20 PM
if lebron can put up 23 and 10 with about 8 boards

i dont really see anyone taking that spot once kobe is gone

BlazingJ
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Kevin Durant is good he really is, but he really needs to pick up the assist numbers and be an elite defender to be the face of the NBA. (he only gets 1.3 assists a game) To me right now, he is way overrated just like his whole team.

Minimal
07-21-2010, 05:30 PM
No way. Lebron James will be the nba icon till he retires. Lebron averages almost triple double a season and will likely win some championships. Noone can take his spot.

Btw what makes you say Kobe will always be better than Lebron? Lebrons whole career is just before him. It's same as saying Michael Jordan will never be better than Magic Johnson in 1990.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Not in Oklahoma

I don't know how long his new contract extension is but if he wants to leave after his contract expires, he should go to LA :hide: or NY!
Kobe's contract expires and he should take a paycut and Durant will become another lakers legend.
:dreaming:

MagicBucsSox
07-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Kevin Durant is good he really is, but he really needs to pick up the assist numbers and be an elite defender to be the face of the NBA. (he only gets 1.3 assists a game) To me right now, he is way overrated just like his whole team.

This

Caino
07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
LeBron will be the face of the NBA till he retires because he loves the attention. Durant is the best role model but he doesn't like to make a fuss to be the face of the league.

GSW Hoops
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Durant is like Tim Duncan--a great player, but he's not "flashy" enough to be the face of the league.

The league wants to market players who can throw down power dunks and put up crazy lay-ups, not a quiet kid who does his job with a smile.

jackdawson
07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Kevin Durant will never out do LeBron in terms of attention-garnered. He also will never be better overall.

He's probably the guy the NBA would want to be the face of the NBA, and he might become the overwhelming fan favorite...but this is still LeBron's league in terms of attention and fan-interest, and it will be even though he's in Miami.

THIS. The league will be LeBron's next for 10 years.

michelangelo
07-21-2010, 08:01 PM
LeBron's bratty behavior and under whelming ability to handle pressure packed situations has everyone who loves the pro game scrambling for the next poster boy.

Carmelo, with his pot busts, and scandalous youtube videos is out of consideration. Kobe's about as likable as a root canal these days, and Shaq is slower than molasses and about as fun to watch.

Durant is as close as it gets to finding an alternative face of the NBA. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the talent that LeBron does, nor the frightening desire to dissect opponents that Kobe does.

He's the third best player in the league right now, but a lot of people are rooting for him to overachieve and eventually compete for a championship. You have to admit, he's won a lot of games with a very young supporting cast.

td0tsfinest
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
He may become the "hero". The one that people are going to cheer for to take down the Heat. He's poised to be a great scorer in this league and the thunder are quickly becoming the most entertaining team around the league. I feel like the thunder are becoming the saints of the nba; they may not be your favourite but they're probably in your top 5.

That being said, I don't think he's as marketable as Lebron. KD came into the league pretty quite, where Lebron was known by everyone before he even graduated. That hype and popularity just snowballed to the point where he's becoming the most marketable athlete in the world.

spreadeagle
07-21-2010, 08:20 PM
After the lebron crap.Id say in 2 yrs its his,imagine him the Thunder as the liked underdogs against the hated miami superteam...gold

shizzle09
07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Will kevin Durant be the face of the NBA once kobe bryant retires. And call me crazy but i think that Kevin durant is a better player or will be a better player than Lebron James and will have a more succesfull career. Right now kobe is the best and will always be better than kevin and lebron. What are your thoughts?

maybe if he learns to play better defense and get others involved. As of right now he is not a great all around player.

Baller1
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
**** yeah!

:D

hyb152
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM

U can say kobe is the best, but that doens't mean he's the face of the NBA. Lebron is the face, he's the cover boy, he's the star of the show. He gets more recognition from the media, endorsements, etc than Kobe and Kevin. Hell, i went to a dentist appt the other day and saw Lebron on the cover of a WEB M.D. Magazine. Lebron is one hell of a marketer though and an incredibly intelligent athlete when it comes to all the marketing.

HiphopRelated
07-22-2010, 12:32 AM
LeBron's bratty behavior and under whelming ability to handle pressure packed situations has everyone who loves the pro game scrambling for the next poster boy.

Carmelo, with his pot busts, and scandalous youtube videos is out of consideration. Kobe's about as likable as a root canal these days, and Shaq is slower than molasses and about as fun to watch.

Durant is as close as it gets to finding an alternative face of the NBA. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the talent that LeBron does, nor the frightening desire to dissect opponents that Kobe does.

He's the third best player in the league right now, but a lot of people are rooting for him to overachieve and eventually compete for a championship. You have to admit, he's won a lot of games with a very young supporting cast.

when did that happen?

HoopsDrive
07-22-2010, 01:12 AM
He's not as marketable as LBJ and probably never will be. The thing with LBJ is that you may not like him but he gets everyone's attention one way or another. He has the personality, charisma and talent combination to be the face of a league.

Durantula would be akin to Timmy D. Dwight Howard is ahead of him, he has the charisma and personality to be the face of the league but has been somewhat overshadowed by LBJ throughout his career. I don't see KD being the face of the league anytime soon.

JJ_JKidd
07-22-2010, 01:47 AM
We all know what happened to Lebron when he was christened as the new face of the NBA years back. Years of being the face and yet King w/o a Ring! KD is good but please let him win a Chip or two before you call him as such.

dre1990
07-22-2010, 02:05 AM
LeBron is the better player hands down, and this is a 100% unbiased piston fan speakin. maybe Durant will become a better scorer, but LBJ is the better player

soonabooma
07-22-2010, 03:19 AM
i dont think he'll be a better player than lebron, and the more i think about it, he's not as marketable as lebron is

lebron has the ego and fun personality to make him an international icon.

NO, that makes Lebron a complete and total dildo. That's why nobody likes him anymore, becuz he cares more about making a show out of everything than he does actually playing ball and respecting his craft. Jordan was never like that. Sure, he was cocky and he liked to joke around with guys, but when it came to actually playing ball, he was all business. And he didn't try to draw attention to himself, he got the attention becuz he was a great player and also a classy player. Lebron is not like that, he tries to thrust himself into the spotlight every chance he gets, and everything is a production with him, EXCEPT his will to win, and his ability to play with the heart of a champion. That's something he'll never have. He's proven that he doesn't really care anymore, but maybe he never did. He doesn't respect what God gave him, and it's gonna come back and bite him in a big way. It's already gotten to the point where former players and his current peers think he's a joke. That's why he's nothing like MJ, he doesn't even know how to command respect the right way, he tries to weasel his way to everything, and he's gonna end up with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Now, the question is....can Kevin Durant become what Michael Jordan was? Not necessarily win 6 rings, but be THAT guy that sets the standard around the league, not only with his skills as a player, but with his ability to be humble, classy, and respectful. Even if you think Jordan was too arrogant at times, or rubbed things in a little too much at times...he was still humble when he needed to be, he was classy on and off the court, and he respected people, he respected his teammates, his coaches, his opponents, he respected his craft, he respected the game of basketball, he respected the talent that God gave him and worked his butt off to make himself even better. He had one mission in life, and that was to play basketball, everything else just came with it as a bonus. That was MJ. It's certainly NOT Lebron. But it just might be Kevin. Only time will tell, but I'll tell you right now, if there was ever gonna be a guy that could take on that kind of role, it's definitely Kevin Durant.

And by the way, when this kid actually starts to really sharpen his game, he WILL be a better player than LeQueef James. Now remember, I never said he'd be bigger and stronger, I never said he'd have the same physical abilities......I just said he'd be a better player. He's already a better offensive player than gimmick boy, but he'll end up being a better defender too. LeDouche is already old news, he'll never be the face of the NBA. It's kinda like.....Michael.................Kobe............. ......Kevin. Sorry LeTurd, you never stood a chance. ;)

JayW_1023
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Durant doesn't care about popularity. He just wants to get better.