PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Ombudsman gives his thoughts on "The Decision"

Double_R
07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=ohlmeyer_don&id=5397113

A good read about ESPN and Lebron... A little long, but really good thoughts on "THE DECISION"... and ESPN's journalistic integrity and credibility.

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Lebron did it for a good cause...people get over it already!

Double_R
07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Lebron did it for a good cause...people get over it already!

"As has been well documented, Team LeBron proposed the exclusive special to ESPN with the following conditions: (1) Veteran broadcaster Jim Gray, who has no current association with ESPN, would host the segment in which James announced his plans; (2) The network would yield the hour of advertising inventory to be sold by James' team with the proceeds directed to the Boys & Girls Club of America; (3) The network would produce the entire show and pay for all production costs."

• David Zurawik, Baltimore Sun: "ESPN led the way Thursday night in some of the most debased sports coverage I can remember seeing. The hype was shameless, the lack of perspective colossal."

• Leonard Shapiro, Washington Post: "The most troubling aspect of the whole ill-conceived mess was ESPN's willingness to hand over an hour of prime-time television to an egomaniacal athlete the network should be covering as a news story. … Does this not-so-subtle form of checkbook journalism pass the smell test anywhere else but in Bristol, Conn.?"

• David Barron, Houston Chronicle: "LeBron James hijacked ESPN, selling the network on an hour-long glorified infomercial preceded by three hours of breathless hype and numbing repetition."

• Richard Deitsch, Sports Illustrated.com: "The Decision is the worst thing ESPN has ever put its name to, and it will take a long time for some viewers to get over it."

• Tom Hoffarth, Los Angeles Daily News: "The truth is, how does anyone believe anything else ESPN reports about James from this point forward?"

J4KOP99
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
While it was a good article, Ohlmeyer went on for way too long with this thing. He said the same ****ing things over and over again. I was reading through it and about 5 times I would think to myself, wait a minute, I saw that same exact line earlier in this article.

He made his points clear, but at the same time he kept shoving the same ideas down the readers throat. There's only so much someone can say about this topic without it becoming redundant.

The ChILL
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Regardless it was still a ****** way to inform Cleveland he was leaving.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 04:46 PM
i dont see how anyone can be mad at it anymore

"oh my god i cant believe the show was so bad"
yet you sat there for the full hour and soaked it all in, and most likely watched the "post decision show"

and now youre making articles about it 2 weeks later

get off this guy's nuts already

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
i dont see how anyone can be mad at it anymore

"oh my god i cant believe the show was so bad"
yet you sat there for the full hour and soaked it all in, and most likely watched the "post decision show"

and now youre making articles about it 2 weeks later

get off this guy's nuts already

2x
I guest the world revolves around lerbron

bedelato2
07-21-2010, 05:07 PM
LeBron is playing the world for fools

Reyes6
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
The decision was a week ago, people need to stop living in the past.

joel47802
07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" I bet lebron understands that quote now lol. and can we please move on about the lebron post its getting old he went to the Heat everyone get over with and move on. Lebron is not the entire NBA and there are still good teams in the east aka the magic and celtics so dont just hand them the ring already.

mark1125
07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
This topic has been discussed to death. Why keep spamming the forum with these threads? :facepalm:

Kobe5RingKing
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
"ESPN Ombuds-man gives his thoughts on "The Decision"

HAHAH

D Roses Bulls
07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=ohlmeyer_don&id=5397113

A good read about ESPN and Lebron... A little long, but really good thoughts on "THE DECISION"... and ESPN's journalistic integrity and credibility.

Like the decision, this article was way too long.it was like almost the guy was espn's clean up man. trying to explain espn didnt have as much to do with it as people think, but he did also explain why and how the network screwed up. though he is right, ESPN did kind ruin it's image even more now cause truth be told, i havent watched espn since july 9th and I know some of my friends have done the same as me.