PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Jon Scheyer go undrafted??

EliManning#1
07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
How does a guy who accomplished so much in college and such a prolific scorer not get drafted at least in the second round? hes on the heats summer league team but very unlikely he will make the team

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31709

look at those stats:facepalm:

sixers247
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
i'd **** him

black1605
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
he had mono during the weeks leading up to the draft, didnt work out, didnt go to the combine. he will get a look

Max Power
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
He's physically weak. Was more a product of a system.
Ok 3-point shooters from the college line are a dime a dozen in the NBA.
If he can prove that he can hit the NBA 3, he'll get a look.

DaBUU
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
hes way too slow and deliberate for the NBA. He'll get a look, but that'll be it. besides he seems like a douchebag imo.

EliManning#1
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
you would figure for his ability to shoot threes and bring some leadership and ball handling he could turn into a nice sixthman like a jj reddick type..might take a couple years but the guy is a player..and on a team like the heat he would be raining threes all day

asandhu23
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I wondered the same about Jerome Randle... but then saw his height

EliManning#1
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
scheyers got decent size tho..he could easily be a good backup pg/sg

zambo4president
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
He doesn't have alot of athletic potential.

EliManning#1
07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
He doesn't have alot of athletic potential.

i dont think darko milicic had alot of "athletic potential"::eyebrow:

asadf
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Darko is 7 feet tall.. 7 footers are the most likely to be a bust because people overlook lack of ability due to the size. Scheyer is un-athletic and the dude shot 39 percent from the field in college.. meaning hed probably shoot 30-35 in the NBA if he could even get his shot off. He would get used on defense. He will never make a team.

S-Dot
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Sad to say, but Duke does not produce alot of players with NBA potential. Great college players, but not great NBA potential.

arlubas
07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah but he had a 7 foot frame

As for the main topic, it's not like Jon is the only case where teams don't believe in guys who were good in college. The examples of players who were beasting in the NCAA but failed to ammount to anything worth noting in the league is fairly large so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Double_R
07-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Remember Salim Stoudamire ... that guy could fill up the basket in college, but he apparently can't in the pros...

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 03:54 PM
1.he's to slow to be a PG
2.he's to weak to guard a 2.
3.he's is a ok three point shooter.
4.he's only been a point guard for a year.
5. He went to duke if had went to unc, different story.

maddBat
07-21-2010, 03:58 PM
no1 wanted 2 draft a morrison 2.0

even tho he has 2 rings. :rimshot:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-21-2010, 03:58 PM
How does a guy who accomplished so much in college and such a prolific scorer not get drafted at least in the second round? hes on the heats summer league team but very unlikely he will make the team

There's your answer

effen5
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Why are you guys ripping on my high school superstar

shep33
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
What position would he play? Listen I love the Devils and this guy was one of my favs ever there, but he's too small to play the 2 and i don't know if he's quick enough to play the 1. You'd have to remember he's either going to have to guard Kobe Bryant, etc. at the 2 guard, or else he's going to guard Williams, CP3, Rondo etc at the point.

It sucks, this kid is terrific, I think he'll make a team sooner or later once he puts on some weight.

gilly
07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
5. He went to duke if had went to unc, different story.

This is the real reason.

God hates Dookies.

lavell12
07-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I love that people here actually believe he didn't get drafted b/c he played at Duke. Like a GM and coach wouldn't draft a Duke player. You idiots realize that Duke has more NBA players than any other school as of last season. Carlos Boozer is better than any current UNC player in the NBA. Duke gets players drafted almost every year so that is false. UNC doesn't produce better pros anymore.

arlubas
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
UNC doesn't produce better pros anymore.
I ain't a UNC fan (or a Duke one for that matter) but as far as the above goes, it's not like Duke has had any great pros either these past few years.

Ragun
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM

actually he did for a 7 footer.

EliManning#1
07-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I love that people here actually believe he didn't get drafted b/c he played at Duke. Like a GM and coach wouldn't draft a Duke player. You idiots realize that Duke has more NBA players than any other school as of last season. Carlos Boozer is better than any current UNC player in the NBA. Duke gets players drafted almost every year so that is false. UNC doesn't produce better pros anymore.

:clap:

cbreezy34
07-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Ha its funny... the whole Duke players don't do anything in the NBA is such a farce. No college program has a higher combined salary of current NBA players then Duke.

First of all Jon is a legit 6'6 and has a higher basketball IQ then 80 percent of the players in the league right now. Erik Spoelstra has already been quoted as saying hes been a pleasant surprise and can do more with a basketball then he thought. For what he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with craftiness. I dont mind everyone doubting his nba ability... these are the same people saying he couldn't convert from sg to pg in college... and certainly couldn't lead a team to a national championship. Watch him quiet the haters..... again.

cbreezy34
07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
What UNC players are doing a lot in the NBA? Vince Carter has become a joke and currently can't hold JJ's jockstrap... did anyone see Jamison on the Cavs? Marvin Williams was a complete bust as the number 2 pick and had he gone to Duke we would hear about it all the time. Branden Wright blows... Sean May... huge bust (literally) wheres Mccants?

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 04:27 PM

sorry to hurt your feelings lol....but I've never heard a player going undrafted b/c he went to duke....it was a joke to began with.

JasonJohnHorn
07-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Sad to say, but Duke does not produce alot of players with NBA potential. Great college players, but not great NBA potential.

Yeah, like Grant Hill? How was that guy supposed to play in the NBA? And Battier? I mean come on. And Laettner? And Danny Ferry? None of these guys had a chance to have long NBA careers. And Elton Brand? Carlos Boozer? Seriously? NBA quality players? Mike Giminski? Corey Magette, bobby Hurly? JJ Redick? Jay Williams? Sheldon Williams? I mean, there are never any good NBA players coming out of Duke. It just doesnt happen.

Seriously though, Duke players get over looked a lot. Inpart because some of the high profile guys like Danny Ferry are generally considered busts, while dominant college players who lead the team, like Battier, are NBA role players at best, but that said, there isnt a team in the league who wouldnt want Battier on his team.

As for Jon Scheyer, I'm not sure, I havent seen him play. I think teams for some reason pass up on guys who stay the full four years, like there is something wrong with them. Like Washington picked a highschool player (Kwambe Brown) over Battier. There were other players who could have justifiably been picked (and were picked) a head of Battier, but Brown?

Duke players are generally mature and team orientated and make great role players in the NBA, some are franchise players. Grant Hill for example. Look how far Carlos Boozer dropped in the draft. Because Duke has such a great system, players excel and in turn may look better than they are, so NBA teams have generally speaking been slow to pick these guys, but Duke players usually end up with long careers (even if they are role players) than players from most other programs.

Southsideheat
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
apparently he has a scary eye injury that could be career ending.

MG3
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I'll take a Felton-Carter-Jamison-Marvin Williams-Sheed (talking this past year)
over
Redick-Battier-Hill-Boozer-Sheldon Williams any day of the week. It's the system, it's great in college, doesn't work in the NBA.

Go 'Heels

fins08
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I want him here, but would rather him go to a place with less veterans and a roster spot.

nycclipse110
07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
hes not good enough.

_KB24_
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
He's white :shrug:

In seriousness, I agree with some of the posters who said that Duke doesn't really produce NBA players. Sure they have given the league some great players, but considering that they dominate college ball and still do not produce as many players says something. They always have a white guy who can shoot the ball but is overlooked in the draft.

Iggz53
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Because he's really not cut out for the NBA. I don't see how he can contribute to any team.

Ollie Tabooger
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
chris lofton 2.0...

I wish lofton had gotten drafted :(

D Roses Bulls
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM

those are college stats. college doesn't always translate in the NBA. didn't morrison and reddick prove that to you? he can't even create his own shot.

gilly
07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I'll take a Felton-Carter-Jamison-Marvin Williams-Sheed (talking this past year)
over
Redick-Battier-Hill-Boozer-Sheldon Williams any day of the week. It's the system, it's great in college, doesn't work in the NBA.

Go 'Heels

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Public Enemy #1
07-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Because he played for Duke and won't do anything in the NBA. lol

DCSportsIsPain
07-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Scheyer went undrafted because he is a Caucasian shooting guard. Want to guess how many of those there are in the NBA? Manu might be the closest one to being Caucasian.

JFresh_#8Nets
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
What about Kyle Singler? why didn't he get drafted

ldc62
07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Slow, unathletic, bad FG %, no upside.

knickerbockerny
07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
It doesn't have much to do with his skills, just like Scottie Reynolds. There are not 60 guys better than those two.

Its more about the politics. With a lot of teams over the cap, they would more welcome the idea drafting a foreigner and not bringing him over for 1-3 years, while not affecting their cap. That's basically what the second round has become.

Teams are doing this with first rounders.

BkOriginalOne
07-21-2010, 07:50 PM
6'5 190 pounds?

Not an athlete.. too slow to defend, not talented enough offensively to score enough to balance out his terrible D.
He doesn't have an NBA Game, falt out. That's still not going to stop a team from signing him as a 12th man.

MU and UW Fan
07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Please tell me your being sarcastic. If not he's going back to Duke for his senior year so thats why he wasn't drafted.

guyerson
07-21-2010, 08:01 PM
He's white, and white guys can't play basketball...

Bulls_fan90
07-21-2010, 08:20 PM

:laugh2:

Yanks All Day
07-21-2010, 08:38 PM
over

Go 'Heels

That's funny. Because almost every UNC player you named is either overrated (Jamison) or past his prime (Sheed, Carter) while Boozer, Hill, and Battier at least had productive years. Redick out played Carter on the Magic. Sheldon Williams hasn't had any play time to show himself on the Celtics, but we can label him a bust as of right now, and Felton and Williams had pretty decent years.

I would say a team of Redick, Hill, Battier, Deng, Maggette, Boozer, and Brand would beat a team of Jamison, Carter, Williams, Felton, Sheed, Stackhouse, and Sean May 75-80 out of 100 times.

The Scheyer topic: mostly everyone has hit the nail on the head. He is not all that athletic, and his shooting isn't particularly special. I like the kid a lot, and he hit plenty of big shots for Duke in the last 4 years, but his game does not translate to the NBA. Heck, it took JJ (who is more athletic that Scheyer to begin with) 4 years to come into his own, and Scheyer isn't half the shooter Redick is. It would be a rough transition, in my opinion.

JakeDelbreezy
07-21-2010, 08:52 PM
That's funny. Because almost every UNC player you named is either overrated (Jamison) or past his prime (Sheed, Carter) while Boozer, Hill, and Battier at least had productive years. Redick out played Carter on the Magic. Sheldon Williams hasn't had any play time to show himself on the Celtics, but we can label him a bust as of right now, and Felton and Williams had pretty decent years.

I would say a team of Redick, Hill, Battier, Deng, Maggette, Boozer, and Brand would beat a team of Jamison, Carter, Williams, Felton, Sheed, Stackhouse, and Sean May 75-80 out of 100 times.

The Scheyer topic: mostly everyone has hit the nail on the head. He is not all that athletic, and his shooting isn't particularly special. I like the kid a lot, and he hit plenty of big shots for Duke in the last 4 years, but his game does not translate to the NBA. Heck, it took JJ (who is more athletic that Scheyer to begin with) 4 years to come into his own, and Scheyer isn't half the shooter Redick is. It would be a rough transition, in my opinion.

Don't forget Ty Lawson on the UNC side...Duke alum could field a good squad but saying they would win 75-80 out of 100 times is ridiculous, I actually think it would be a good matchup.

Sadds The Gr8
07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
because he sucks compared to NBA players?

Yanks All Day
07-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Don't forget Ty Lawson on the UNC side...Duke alum could field a good squad but saying they would win 75-80 out of 100 times is ridiculous, I actually think it would be a good matchup.

Oh wow I definitely did not mean to leave Lawson out. My thinking was that the Duke side would dominate the boards with the abundance of bigs, and has more solid guard play, as compared to the Carolina side which was more stacked with aging swingman-type players. Definitely the majority of the games would be won by Duke, but a great point guard like Lawson would actually change a lot. Still give the edge to the Blue Devils, though. Probably around 60-40. I know, it's not really on topic. But good catch!

CalJo1617
07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
trajon langdon

LTBaByyy
07-22-2010, 02:40 AM
over

Go 'Heels

Lawson, Ed Davis, Hans, and Ellington off the bench? :)

djeller1139
07-22-2010, 02:56 AM
He has Christian Laettner written all over him

Ollie Tabooger
07-23-2010, 06:23 PM

because he sucks? :shrug:

plpfctn
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
adam morrison was a beast at Gonzaga. How did he turn out in the nba?