PDA

View Full Version : Who Was the Biggest Bust In Draft History

Russell_Roberts
07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I would have to roll with Darko.

Who do yall think

Unruly Fan
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Michael Olowakandi - I can't find ANYTHING on this guy. I don't think he even has a player profile on NBA.com anymore... terrible.

Hawkeye15
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
well, Darko is 24, so he still has time, but he is a pretty bad one considering what was picked right after him, no doubt

OREcoast49er
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Who do yall think

Are you kidding me? According to his GM hes right there with Chris Webber and Vlade Divac.

BigBlueCrew
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Im a knicks fan

I know the biggest draft bust

Fredric freakin Weis

Try to find that on NBA.com

Akuhpelluh
07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Sam Bowie, Greg Oden, Shawn Bradley, Yinka Dare, Michael Olowokandi, Ed O' Bannon, Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison.

Based on talent taken after the bust though. Darko ranks pretty high up there on that list.

Atownballa5
07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Kwame!

Russell_Roberts
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Are you kidding me? According to his GM hes right there with Chris Webber and Vlade Divac.
well according to sports illustrated the biggest bust of all time was sam bowie. the dude who was drafted 1 pick before jordan. but that wasnt my time. and i cant riteous say anything about him because i never seen him in the works

bahama0811
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Michael Olowokandi

For the Nuggets it would be Nikoloz Tskitishvili

uws
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
bowie or kwame

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Darko
Jay Williams:shrug: - supposedly he played for Chicago lol
Mike Sweetney

thenaj17
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Bowie due to skipping Jordan, Barkley and Stockton...wow!

Darko a close 2nd, Melo, Wade and Bosh come on!

Da Knicks
Sam Bowie, Greg Oden, Shawn Bradley, Yinka Dare, Michael Olowokandi, Ed O' Bannon, Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison.

Based on talent taken after the bust though. Darko ranks pretty high up there on that list.

you win!;)

jmoney23
Kwame, Kandi Man, Bowie, Tzkitishivili, Morrison, and for everything surrounding him, I think Joe Smith didn't live up to the hype and controversy around him

Personal Raptors homer pick is Rafael Arajuo

IndyRealist
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
It's hard to blame Portland for picking Sam Bowie. They already had all-star and future hall of famer Clyde Drexler. If they drafted Jordan to back him up, it's entirely possible you never would have heard of MJ except in these "biggest busts" threads. Opportunity plays a big part in all of it.

GSW Hoops
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Michael Olowokandi. At least Kwame and Darko have had relatively long NBA careers and play decent minutes (both may be starting next season). Heck, Darko just got a fat contract!

npjcajun
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
It's hard to blame Portland for picking Sam Bowie. They already had all-star and future hall of famer Clyde Drexler. If they drafted Jordan to back him up, it's entirely possible you never would have heard of MJ except in these "biggest busts" threads. Opportunity plays a big part in all of it.

Yes opportunity does help but I just don't believe Jordan would be on the busts list if drafted by Portland.

Bowie cause he was number one. Got say Kandi too.

jaded01
07-21-2010, 11:40 AM

while i agree with what you are saying on some cases... you are talking about michael f'ing jordan. he may not have played as the GOAT for the blazers.... but he would've done it somewhere because he's way too hardnosed to not have been what he was.

kwame was a bad pick no doubt... but it's not like that draft was dripping with talent either 7 all stars total including headcases like arenas and zach randolf. hindsight obviously says you pick pau but hindsight is always 20/20

but if you want wasted draft picks lets run down the bulls post jordan: tyson chandler, eddy curry, marcus pzifer, and jay williams.......... talent.

KG21
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Michael Jordan , why?? Cause he busted the NBA xD He highhandedly busted the fook out the nba :)

Hellcrooner
07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
lol ar people k nowing noting bout the league. history.

Darko is still playing in the league 7 years after and has had some good even not starry seasons, same for kwame etc.

You should tyr to look to past draft vclasses of the 80s and 70s and youd find some WTF situations, like Steve Stipanovich for example.

DCSportsIsPain
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Len Bias. He never played a game.

Hellcrooner
in the ame Jordan draft class there are two WORSE mistakes than bowie , but no one talsk bout the, go watch the 6 and 8 picks and look who got picked later in the draft.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1984.html

Hellcrooner

the he cant be a bust.

Unruly Fan
07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Len Bias. He never played a game.Yeah, maybe cuz he died?

Sixerlover
07-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Tool.

In terms of talent after pick, Darko. But like Crooner said if you want to go the HISTORY, there were some terrible picks in the 80's.

Hellcrooner
07-21-2010, 12:08 PM
and we dont ave to go back that uch anyway Danny Ferry and Pervis ellison i gues s a lot of you have seen play.

show34
07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Ed obannon bobby hurley i think kenny anderson also was on the borderline sam bowie of course more to come

DCSportsIsPain
07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Tool.

In terms of talent after pick, Darko. But like Crooner said if you want to go the HISTORY, there were some terrible picks in the 80's.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

Taken in terms of players who actually played an NBA game, John "Hot Plate" Williams was among the biggest busts.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
What do you mean in Draft History?

Pre-Lottery or Post-Lottery

The biggest bust in NBA Draft History Pre-Lottery: LaRue Martin, #1 overall pick in 1972 who played 4 seasons ending his career with averages of 7 PPG.

The biggest bust in NBA Draft History Post-Lottery: Adam Morrison, #3 overall pick who was projected to be at the very least a Mike Miller type of NBA player. If Greg Oden doesn't turn his career around, it will be him.

You guys should leave the HS/Euro players out of it because these guys are drafted solely on upside, not their talent. These guys turn out to be solid players, but their upside most of the time was miscalculated putting them in the Top 5.

A Bust is a guy who scouts were all "sold" on being at the very least a productive player, but end up out of the league because they weren't good enough.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Ed obannon bobby hurley i think kenny anderson also was on the borderline sam bowie of course more to come

O'Bannon is up there. Kenny Anderson didn't live up to his hype but he was a very good player in the NBA. Sam Bowie is up there also.

Bobby Hurley is definetly up there, but he gets a pass just like Shelden Williams for being a Dukie.

Oldmantrash
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Who do yall think

Darko is not even close the biggest bust of all time.
How old are you?

Dennis Hobson
Kwame Brown
Michael Olowokandi
Martin Larue

Sam Bowie was a solid NBA player,he was a mistake,not a bust.

Hellcrooner
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Bobb hurley was not a bust he was actualy good but he had a car accident that ended his career if im not mistaken.

Is like Bull Jason Williams history.

Hellcrooner
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Anothr name i just remembered Eric Montross.

ManRam
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Greg Oden is not a bust. He's just had injuries and is still with the team that drafted him. When he was healthy last year he was a beast- an all-star caliber beast. He's also only 22.

Not a bust yet. Not even close. He could have 10-15 great all-star years for all we know.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Greg Oden is not a bust. He's just had injuries and is still with the team that drafted him. When he was healthy last year he was a beast- an all-star caliber beast. He's also only 22.

Not a bust yet. Not even close. He could have 10-15 great all-star years for all we know.

This.

However if he doesn't get healthy or is able to develop as expected, unfortunately it will be him. Ralph Sampson was expected to be the next Wilt, he didn't turn into it due to injuries but he had numerous All Star seasons.

Who in 2007 thought Greg Oden would be a reserve C? It was almost consensus he was going to be a starting C for a decade or more.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Somebody find me 1 article from 2006, where a credible writer suggested that Adam Morrison would be a Draft bust out of the NBA in 4 years.

Nobody believed he would be Larry Bird-like. But people thought Mike Miller-like.

asandhu23
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Arnold Jackson

hustleloyrspct
07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
for those sayin Jay Williams was a bust needs to get ur facts straight lol he had a solid rookie year and then in the offseason he had a motorcycle accident thus forcing us to draft kirk hinrich.....

defender4m
07-21-2010, 12:49 PM
kwame and bowie

ballpd05
07-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Has to be the Kandi Man aka Michael Olowakandi

Baltoro
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
i'm being a bit of a homer on this but considering his draft class and the guys that were picked after him who are STILL playing in the L i gotta go with.....

Rafael Araujo.

dude plays in brazil now or something....

ldc62
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't think Sam Bowie was a bust (he had good numbers/not dominant number, but pretty good stats for a Center). I'll go with Oden, Candy Man and Darko.

TO to the CHI
07-21-2010, 01:13 PM
i'm being a bit of a homer on this but considering his draft class and the guys that were picked after him who are STILL playing in the L i gotta go with.....

Rafael Araujo.

dude plays in brazil now or something....

Not even close. Iggy went after him but not all that much else. Luke Jackson anyone? How about Robert Swift? Sebastian Telfair? Victor Khryapa?

Araujo was a colossally bad pick, but based on being 8th (not first) and the lack of dominant players after him, he does not belong on this list.

Similarly, as someone stated above, Bowie is a mistake, but was not a bust as he had a decent career.

what54!?
07-21-2010, 01:22 PM
yinka dare (RIP) picked 14th by the nets

in the 95-96 season he had 72 turnovers and 0 assist.

He played 4 seasons in the nba and had 96 career turnovers and 4 career assist

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Has to be the Kandi Man aka Michael Olowakandi

Player A: 13/8/1
Player B: 12/9/2

Which player is commonly ranked amongst the Top 10/12 C's in the NBA? Which player is Kandi Man?

ballpd05
07-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Michael Olowakandi as a #1 overall picks career numbers are 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks.

PHX2daDEATH
07-21-2010, 01:30 PM
for those sayin Jay Williams was a bust needs to get ur facts straight lol he had a solid rookie year and then in the offseason he had a motorcycle accident thus forcing us to draft kirk hinrich.....

LOL he wasn't supposed to be driving the damn motorcyle...doing wheelies and what not..wasn't using his brain there fore he is a bust..

Sam Bowie without a question... Portland could of easily slid Drexler over to the 3 spot to make room for Jordan..

I'll say for the Suns... drafting Casey Jacobsen instead of Tayshaun Prince.. imagine this

C Amare
PF Marion
SF Prince
SG Johnson
PG Nash.....

nivek
07-21-2010, 01:30 PM
pervis ellison Hands down!

chitownbears89
07-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Darko
Jay Williams:shrug: - supposedly he played for Chicago lol
Mike Sweetney

You should do your homework before posting nonsense. If you knew anything you would know he had a career ending accident and was an ok basketball player. :facepalm:

_KB24_
07-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Darko. No contest.

kobemelo
07-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Who do yall think

x2 Darko > Melo, Wade, Bosh, Kaman etc. was just simply a big fail

Ty Fast
07-21-2010, 01:52 PM
anyone portland drafts

letsgobrownies7
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Sam Bowie, Kwame Brown, Adam Morrison, and maybe even Sheldon Williams for being a lottery pick and going 5th overall

Cradle_Rock
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
yeah, i would say Darko, but hasheem thabeet is pretty bad too. 2nd pick and was sent to the d league?

Patriots81
07-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Tyler Hansbrough

ManRam
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
My thoughts on the Jay Williams idea...

A bust in my opinion is anyone who doesn't live up to expectations. It's as simple as that. Did Jay Williams, or even a guy like Len Bias live up to their draft expectations? The answer is a resounding "NO", and I don't think it is politically incorrect to call them draft busts...and major ones too. I'd even argue that Len Bias was the greatest draft bust ever. The Celtics were a great team (winning the title the year he died) and he was the type of talent that would have keep them at the top. They didn't win for another 22 years. I think you can argue that him dying set the Celtic franchise back decades.

It sounds harsh to say either of those two are busts because of their terribly unfortunate situations (a terrible accident and a death from casual drug use). But they were draft busts- because they didn't live (no pun intended, sorry) up to their draft expectations.

Oldmantrash
07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Sam Bowie,and Darko were terrible picks because they were picked before stars,that does not make them busts.

Also,I would only consider guys picked in the top 5 to be major busts,after that it's a crap shoot,with a lot of players who were never any good.

Dennis Hopson
3rd pick overall.

Somebody said Never nervous Pervis,that's a good one,but Olowakandi is better.

Both top picks.

plpfctn
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
kwame and darko are probably tied.

GSW Hoops
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Sam Bowie,and Darko were terrible picks because they were picked before stars,that does not make them busts.

Also,I would only consider guys picked in the top 5 to be major busts,after that it's a crap shoot,with a lot of players who were never any good.

Dennis Hopson
3rd pick overall.

Both top picks.

I love the nickname his teammates gave him after he got injured: Out of Service Pervis

tbone2171
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Bowie due to skipping Jordan, Barkley and Stockton...wow!

Darko a close 2nd, Melo, Wade and Bosh come on!

Kwame, Kandi Man, Bowie, Tzkitishivili, Morrison, and for everything surrounding him, I think Joe Smith didn't live up to the hype and controversy around him

Personal Raptors homer pick is Rafael Arajuo

Funny that 4 of these guys ended up playing for the T-Wolves

Max Power
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
LaRue Martin is the biggest bust.

Sam Bowie the worst pick.

And I never want to hear the "they had Drexler" BS again. Drexler averaged less than 8ppg the year before Jordan was in the draft. Bowie was a terrible pick no matter the explaination.

chitownking
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
kwame brown or da candy man wow they were terrible

tbone2171
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Player A: 13/8/1
Player B: 12/9/2

Which player is commonly ranked amongst the Top 10/12 C's in the NBA? Which player is Kandi Man?

Kandi's player B..Who's Player A?

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Kwame Brown

Wiz kids
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Kwame ****ing Brown

I remember he averaged something close to a triple double in high school...

LeGacy is Music
07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Im a knicks fan

I know the biggest draft bust

Fredric freakin Weis

Try to find that on NBA.com

I was going to say that but how about ADAM MORRISON!!!!

Oldmantrash
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM

Dennis Hopson
3rd pick overall.

Both top picks.

jmoney23
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I always laugh whenever a sports personality comments about how Morrison has 2 rings. He hasn't done dick in the NBA and has more titles than LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Nash, McGrady, Iverson, and all those guys.

LeGacy is Music
07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I always laugh whenever a sports personality comments about how Morrison has 2 rings. He hasn't done dick in the NBA and has more titles than LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Nash, McGrady, Iverson, and all those guys.

Thats because of Kobe!!! But We mention Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison Funny how Jordan Drafted them both. If Jordan says a player is going to be Great I would have to ask Isiah Thomas before I agree he drafted some pretty good talent. T-Mac,Ariza, Lee, Nate, Chandler I know there are some bust but not as bad as Jordans

Baltoro
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Not even close. Iggy went after him but not all that much else. Luke Jackson anyone? How about Robert Swift? Sebastian Telfair? Victor Khryapa?

Araujo was a colossally bad pick, but based on being 8th (not first) and the lack of dominant players after him, he does not belong on this list.

Similarly, as someone stated above, Bowie is a mistake, but was not a bust as he had a decent career.

just off the top of my head;

al jefferson, josh smith, jameer nelson, trevor ariza, andris beidrins, j.r. smith and kevin martin were all selected after #8 in 2004 (i could be wrong)
certainly some good talent.

but i get what you're saying. he didn't go number 1 but based on where he was selected and what he was touted to be (at least by T.O. media) he turned out to be a big time bust. IMO anyway.

abe_froman
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
And I never want to hear the "they had Drexler" BS again. Drexler averaged less than 8ppg the year before Jordan was in the draft.

so a rookie coming off the bench needs to get how many ppg?

lakersfan01
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Kwame brown!!!

Max Power
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
so a rookie coming off the bench needs to get how many ppg?

So a guy who was behind Jim Paxson on a depth chart is a reason to not draft Jordan, who prior to the draft was lighting up NBA all-star teams in the Olympic trials, at much more than 8 pts per game?
It was an awful pick, that gets justified with an awful excuse.

BkOriginalOne
07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Sam bowie, everyone knows this.

Any time you pass on Jordan you are the biggest bust in the History of the league.

Korman12
07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
LaRue Martin.

For my team? Shawn Bradley.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Any time you pass on Jordan you are the biggest bust in the History of the league.

So Akeem(Hakeem) Olajuwon is a bust too?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Kandi's player B..Who's Player A?

Shaq???:shrug:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM

NO
Rockets passed on Jordan but got Hakeem!

Tony_Starks
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Darko.

sportsfan10
07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
LBJ - Who knew he was a coward

LOL

TO to the CHI
07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
just off the top of my head;

al jefferson, josh smith, jameer nelson, trevor ariza, andris beidrins, j.r. smith and kevin martin were all selected after #8 in 2004 (i could be wrong)
certainly some good talent.

but i get what you're saying. he didn't go number 1 but based on where he was selected and what he was touted to be (at least by T.O. media) he turned out to be a big time bust. IMO anyway.

I hear you, but all of those guys would have been viewed as a reach at the time (except Biedrins ironically) and only Josh Smith is really a star player. Nelson and Jefferson are very very good, but there is really no comparison between them and the guys that came after Darko or Kandi. Or even Bowie if tha tis your metric, though I stand by the comment that he was a mistake and not a bust.

And fwiw, I am a Raps fan too and agree that the Araujo pick was an unmitigated disaster.

gilly
07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
All time was Bowie. For my Sixers, I'm gonna say Leon Wood. We coulda had Stockton :facepalm: If only we had got Stockton, Garnett in '95 then McGrady in '97, we would have won a chip. Can't go wrong with Stockton/Iverson/McGrady/Garnett/Bradley.

DCSportsIsPain
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Sam Bowie played 10 seasons. He shouldn't even be in this discussion.

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
sam bowie wasnt as much of a bust as darko is

jordan just makes it look that way

runforrestrunx9
07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
jamarcus russell?

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
jamarcus russell?

god yes

Kevj77
07-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Len Bias. He never played a game.That was sad. What about the player picked right after Len? Chris Washburn is one of the biggest busts. Drugs were involved in him becoming a bust.

TxRangersP1
07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Dallas Mavericks 1st round Draft Picks

Randy White
Ansu Sesay
Cherokee Parks
Loren Meyer
Maurice Ager
Etan Thomas
Kelvin Cato
Doug Smith
Leon Smith

HouRealCoach
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Olowakandi has everyone by a LONGSHOT!!!!

HouRealCoach
07-21-2010, 05:58 PM
All time was Bowie. For my Sixers, I'm gonna say Leon Wood. We coulda had Stockton :facepalm: If only we had got Stockton, Garnett in '95 then McGrady in '97, we would have won a chip. Can't go wrong with Stockton/Iverson/McGrady/Garnett/Bradley.

Trust me with Stockton and GArnett they wouldnt have been in the lottery to choose Iverson and T-MAc

inthecut-miami
07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
harold minor, kwame brown, darko millicic, mike olowakandi, dejuan wagner, big country reeves, jayson williams{duke} ed o'bannon