PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best one on one defenders?

Run&Gun
07-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Who are the league's best one on one defenders at each position basically who stops superstars, keep in mind that stats do not equal being a good defender ie. Chris Paul and Josh Smith (good help side defender, doesn't translate to being the best post defender though). Here's my list of people who can shut the opposition down.

PG: Rajon Rondo- quick feet, quick hands, long arms and he's gotten stronger of the years.
SG: Thabo Sefolosha this guys always guarding the other teams best player, and does a good job shutting them down.
SF:Shane Battier, probably the best perimeter defender, great IQ, good size, and plays good post D too along with a handful of steals and blocks, patience is his #1 virtue
PF: Tim Duncan probably best post defender, fights for position, gets blocks, always has a hand in his man's face, doesn't commit a lot of fouls.
C: Joakim Noah: Always hustles, doesn't get in foul trouble, can still block shots, wiry strong.

Again this is best one on one defenders I'll go over some people who didn't make it that people will probably think why they didn't

Dwight Howard still gets into foul trouble all the time and I've seen Deandre Jordan kill him
Kobe Bryant would have made it, but because he needs to carry the offense so much he isn't as tenacious on defense as he used to be and his injuries make it so he has to focus all his attention on offense.
Wade: Clutch defender gets lazy sometimes, gambles for plays too
Lebron: Very good defender, but also gets lazy sometimes unless its a rivalry
Artest: Gets flustered too much, think he doesn't guard quick SG's as well as he used too, more suited for physical play and making people work for position or playing off ball
Perkins: He's probably just as good as Noah, but stronger but isn't as good of a blocker as Noah and loses his cool more often.
G. Wallace: Just as good perimeter defender as Battier but doesn't play post defense as well, not quite as patient either

What do you guys think make your list and give an explanation.

tredigs
07-21-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm about to head to bed and am too tired to contribute much; but that looks like a pretty solid list + writeup. Good ****.

I can't say I disagree with much of anything that you wrote, but I'd also give Kirk Hinrich some praise. That's a sick man defender.

I'd be curious to see what somebody who has "synergy" would have to contribute here. Chronz?

kurivaimu
07-21-2010, 05:57 AM
It go with

Pg: Rondo
Sg: Kobe - i think his defense is stellar. Can be a lock down 1-on-1 defender.
Sf: Gerald Wallace
Pf: Timmy D
C: Kendrick Perkins - Constantly shutting down the leagues best centers.

robdizzle3
07-21-2010, 06:44 AM
PG: Chris Paul- Rondo gambles just as much as Paul, so ill give pur man to man defense to him

SG: Tony Allen- IMO, he's the best on-ball defender in the league. What he did to Kobe in the Finals was brilliant.

SF: Ron Artest- He went through the playoffs giving fits to all the stars he was guarding, while grabbing steals and forcing crucial turnovers.

PF: Tim Duncan- He always gets it done on the boards and tough man to man.

C: Dwight Howard- Iy was close between he and Perk, but Howard does it all. Very strong and changes as many shots in the post, as he does from help.

JayW_1023
07-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Jarrett Jack: After Gilbert Arenas in his prime boasted he would drop 60 on Portland, Jack completely shut him down and humiliated him. One of the best defenders no one knows about.

Shane Battier: Probably the best perimeter defender in the league. He defends not only with his length, but he really studies whomever he is guarding. No one defends Kobe Bryant better.

Ron Artest: He has lost a step, but he will still overwhelm most perimeter scorers physically.

Kendrick Perkins: he is Artests big man counterpart. Doesn't wow you with blocks, but is a physical presence...even Dwight Howard couldn't overpower him.

Courtney Lee: One of the most underrated defenders in the league. If he was on a winning team he'd be more recognized. He is better than Sefolosha.

Joel Przyzbilla: Another tough as nails post defender.

Tony Allen: By far Bostons best perimeter defender last season.

Serge Ibaka: This kiddo sure plays some nasty physical defense in the paint.

Still none of these guys came close to Bruce Bowen in his prime. Bowen was a pest, and occassionally dirty too...but no one disrupted scorers like him.

The all defensive team has become a joke...these guys are good defenders, but far from elite.

Kobe Bryant
Rajon Rondo
Trevor Ariza
Thabo Sefolosha
Jared Dudley
Matt Barnes
LeBron James
Chauncey Billups
Dwyane Wade
Dwight Howard (his impact is huge, but the Celtics series proved he isn't an intelligent defender yet)

That said, these guys are suprisingly underrated defenders despite not being known for it.

Ray Allen Who is exactly on par with Kobe in my opinion, and he proved it time and time again the past three seasons in Boston.
Steve Nash: Laugh all you want, but while he is no great one-on-one defender, he is a great team defender. He takes alot of charges.
Shannon Brown He had some great defensive sequences in the playoffs, at one point he singe handedly embarrassed James Harden with a full court press that would make Lindsey Hunter proud.
Manu Ginobili: One of the most underrated defenders with extremely quick hands and feet, he even blocked Kevin Durant in a filthy manner despite giving up three inches
OJ Mayo: He may have a pretty offensive game, but he is also a pesky defender.

Minimal
07-21-2010, 07:29 AM
1st team:
PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Gerald Wallace
PF - Josh Smith
C - Kendrick Perkins
2nd team
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kirk Hinrich
SF - LeBron James
PF - Chris Andersen
C - Dwight Howard

Minimal
07-21-2010, 07:40 AM
1st team:
PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Gerald Wallace
PF - Josh Smith
C - Kendrick Perkins
2nd team
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kirk Hinrich
SF - LeBron James
PF - Chris Andersen
C - Dwight Howard

Raph12
07-21-2010, 11:02 AM
1st Team:
PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Ron Artest
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Dwight Howard

2nd Team:
PG - Kirk Hinrich
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Gerald Wallace
PF - Serge Ibaka
C - Kendrick Perkins

Iron24th
07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Rondo, Kobe ,Artest, Noah, Perk (Dwight is more of a team defender)

JerzeyFresh
07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
1st Team:
PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Ron Artest
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Dwight Howard

2nd Team:
PG - Kirk Hinrich
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Gerald Wallace
PF - Serge Ibaka
C - Kendrick Perkins

This.

thenaj17
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
1st team:
PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Gerald Wallace
PF - Josh Smith
C - Kendrick Perkins
2nd team
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kirk Hinrich
SF - LeBron James
PF - Chris Andersen
C - Dwight Howard

Deary me... Josh Smith, Birdman, Rondo

No, no, no...this post is good 1 on 1 defenders. These 3 are excellent help defenders but none are good on ball man to man.

ballpd05
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't say Timmy anymore. He was a definite casualty in the Suns series. He just didn't have the quickness to guard Amare or Frye

thenaj17
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
When he's not daydreaming through half the games, Ron Artest is still the best 1 on 1 perimeter. Tony Allen is overrated and only slowed Kobe in 3 of 7 games and game 7 was more Kobe jacking up stupid shots than Tony defence, most were on Ray. Battier is elite and Sefo is pretty good also.
Kevin Garnett inside hasn't been mentioned enough although he has slowed down a bit since his latest knee injury, he is still a force.

Gibby23
07-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Kirk hinrich
Kobe
Artest
Odom
Howard

Carey
07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
C Kendrick Perkins
F Tim Duncan....Kenyon Martin is pretty good from a versatility standpoint
F Ron Artest
G Thabo Sefolosha
G Kirk Hinrich

Scalphunter13
07-21-2010, 02:30 PM
LOL at all the list that don't include the 2 time defensive player of the year.....he changes teams strategies. Just because Perkins does a good job on him doesn't crown him the best, Dwight is not the best offensive big man. I don't think any centers can consistently beat Dwight....I'm not talking about one game but multiple games, soo please save the 1 time [insert second rate center] put up 20+ points on dwight.

P.S. Perkins does a good job one on one but he also gets alot of support from kg or big baby on dwight

ManRam
07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I think the OP hit the nail on the head 100%. I might switch Noah for Perkins, but besides that, those guys are definitely the best.

plpfctn
07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
according to NBA players in a Sports Illustrated poll, Ron Artest in a landslide. Kobe Bryant was rated second.

drama1386
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
i would say that luc richard mbah a moute is one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the NBA today, but not the best. I'd give that to artest.

JNA17
07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
rondo, kobe, artest, josh smith, dwight

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Woooow not one of you mention luc richard mbah a moute nor Jared Dudley smfh.

jackdawson
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
1st:

Rondo
Thabo
Wallace
Duncan
Perkins

2nd:

CP3
Wade
LeBron
Josh Smith
Dwight

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
kobe... and wades the best shot blocking SG

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
1st:

Rondo
Thabo
Wallace
Duncan
Perkins

2nd:

CP3
Wade
LeBron
Josh Smith
Dwight

no kobe?

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
1st:

Rondo
Thabo
Wallace
Duncan
Perkins

2nd:

CP3
Wade
LeBron
Josh Smith
Dwight

Perkins over Dwight?

xmoney328
07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
no kobe?

He's trying start the laker and heat Rivalry!
That's why Kobe didn't make his teams!

TheTakeOver24
07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Rondo, Tony Allen, Artest, Noah, Howard

_KB24_
07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Rondo
Kobe
Artest
Duncan
Howard

Give me that lineup anyday on defense. You have 4 of arguabely 20 best defenders of all time and can still shut down anyone.

Chronz
07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Rondo
Kobe
Artest
Duncan
Howard

Give me that lineup anyday on defense. You have 4 of arguabely 20 best defenders of all time and can still shut down anyone.
What do you mean, 2010 version of Kobe, Duncan and Artest arent even close to the top all time

smith&wesson
07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
ron artest
shane battier
mat barnes
kobe bryant
raja bell
d howard

dre1990
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Chauncey Billups/Rondo
Kirk/Kobe
Gerald Wallace/Ron Artest
Josh Smith/Luc Mbah a Moute
Dwight Howard/Tim Duncan

Bridgmaster
07-21-2010, 07:19 PM
how come no one has mentioned Ronnie Brewer yet, hes a good defender?

Iggz53
07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Kirk Hinrich
Aaron Afflalo
Trevor Ariza
Anderson Varejao
Dwight Howard

Verbal Christ
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Chuck Hayes should be mentioned, he can lock down any position on the floor

jackdawson
07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
no kobe?

Yes, no kobe. It's not 2005, it's 2010. Wade is best defending shooting guard after Thabo Sefolosa NOW.

thesparky33
07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Amare Stoudemire.

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Amare Stoudemire.

no

Yunqn
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
rondo? is everyone serious? rondo gets torched by guards alot.. if it wasnt gor kg & perk gaurding the paint rondo would look awful.. how is he better than hinrich?

can rondo guard wade?

hinrich
brewer
artest
duncan
howard

2nd team

derek fisher
ben gordon
chase budinger
Yi
bargnani

put that team(1st team lmao)on the floor and no one scores..

leoncito
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
pg- chris paul
sg-dwade
sf-lebron james
pf-tim duncun (getting old but still has it)
c-dwight howard

dbronx42
07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
People need to notice who Arron Afflalo is... He was easily one of the best defenders in the NBA last season.

Iggz53
07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
People need to notice who Arron Afflalo is... He was easily one of the best defenders in the NBA last season.

True. I did :)

5ass
07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
no one mentioned raja bell?

5ass
07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
and kevin durant

Scarface-Bulls
07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
rondo? is everyone serious? rondo gets torched by guards alot.. if it wasnt gor kg & perk gaurding the paint rondo would look awful.. how is he better than hinrich?

can rondo guard wade?

hinrich
brewer
artest
duncan
howard

2nd team

derek fisher
ben gordon
chase budinger
Yi
bargnani

Is that ben Gordon on your all defensive 2nd team? Ben Gordon can't guard my grandmother.

Iggz53
07-21-2010, 09:20 PM

can rondo guard wade?

hinrich
brewer
artest
duncan
howard

2nd team

derek fisher
ben gordon
chase budinger
Yi
bargnani

I'm ridiculously confused by the 2nd team

23+33=6
07-21-2010, 09:47 PM
PG Kirk
Sg Thabo
SF Artest
PF Duncan
C Noah

BKNets21
07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
PG: Chauncey Billups
SG: Thabo Sefolosha
SF: Shane Battier
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Kendrick Perkins

palmsguy225
07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
iggyyy

SugeKnight
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Not even a mention of Batum?

anyway, my lineup

Rondo
Sefalosha
Batum
Duncan
Howard

thesparky33
07-22-2010, 01:30 AM
no

Okay?

Seriously, Amare is such an underrated defender. He has a great defensive IQ, and is a tremendous on the ball defender. The lack of defense played by Phoenix as a whole really gave him a bad wrap.

hugepatsfan
07-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Rondo
Tony Allen
Artest
?
Perk (one on one, not help defender - so Perk beats Dwight out here)

This should show how BOS's defense was so effective all postseason.

esewicked13
07-22-2010, 03:03 AM
im just gunna name some
arron afflalo
shane battier
ron artest
lebron james
chris paul
rajon rondo
chauncey billups
tony allen
dahntay jones
trevor ariza
ronnie brewer
joakin noah
tyrus thomas
kenyon martin
dwight howard
thabo sefalosha
gerald wallace
birdman
andrie kirilenko
tim duncan
kendrick perkins
anthony carter
luol deng
raja bell
these are some of the best defenders i seen play

esewicked13
07-22-2010, 03:06 AM
hands down the best one-on-one defender on the perimeter is....
arron afflalo from denver
he is very underrated but if you've seen him play he brings extreme defense every play and game...thats why he is a starter for denver and not jr smith.
afflalo also finished fourth in defensive player of year voting but he was the only perimeter defender in the top 4