PDA

View Full Version : Is Mario Chalmers the Rajon Rondo of the Miami Heat?

Rskinz101
07-21-2010, 03:24 AM
im a Lakers fan but this is somewhat interesting, considering the Heat go with Chalmers at the PG to start the year do you think he will turn out better like how Rondo did with the Celtics. I mean Rondo was thrown in there with Allen, Pierce and KG but Chalmers has even better players around him with Wade, James and Bosh. So do you guys think he will get better.

TrueFan420
07-21-2010, 03:26 AM
that depends on him

Grifftiggs
07-21-2010, 03:30 AM
As a HEAT fan i wish, but i dont think so.

mynameismo
07-21-2010, 03:32 AM
I've always knew Chalmers was very talented. He just needs time to grow. It's a great learning opportunity for him to play with those great players.

It will go down to how he responds. Let's wait and see..

jackdawson
07-21-2010, 03:38 AM
No he won't turn into another Rajon Rondo but he will improve a lot this season.

Run&Gun
07-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Doubt it, he's gonna be Derek Fisher 2.0 great role player, can shoot threes, great defense, great team player, probably not much more.

He's also in a different situation, Boston didn't really have a dominant ball handler, Miami has James and Wade both dominant ball handlers, Chalmers won't need the ball in his hands, also doesn't have a great handles either or court vision, but he has range and he's a pick pocket.

FarOutIos
07-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Doubt it, he's gonna be Derek Fisher 2.0 great role player, can shoot threes, great defense, great team player, probably not much more.

He's also in a different situation, Boston didn't really have a dominant ball handler, Miami has James and Wade both dominant ball handlers, Chalmers won't need the ball in his hands, also doesn't have a great handles either or court vision, but he has range and he's a pick pocket.

Good post. It's nice to see a thread actually discuss sports intellectually. Recently, it's been pretty immature on PSD.

D1JM
07-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Lol

Rskinz101
07-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Well i was just wondering because i dont think many people especially Celtics fans really thought Rondo was gonna turn out the way he did.

tonyd3b54
07-21-2010, 04:04 AM
alot of celtics fans thought rondo would be good after his first season... but anyway, chalmers doesnt have the vision of rondo. theyre both very similar tho, great defenders with a lot of athleticsm but as some1 said earlier the celtics only had pierce who really handled the ball alot the heat have wade and james who both handle the ball twice as much as pierce ever did. saying that i dont think chalmers will turn into a rondo but if hes smart hell work on his shooting more and become an even better shooter than he already is because hes going to get alot of open looks...

IrespectNumber3
07-21-2010, 04:20 AM
I think Chalmers will be another Derek Fisher...Chalmers simply cannot finish at the rim like Rondo can but Chalmers is a decent defender...With more work he can probably look alot better

Master Mind
07-21-2010, 04:21 AM
alot of celtics fans thought rondo would be good after his first season... but anyway, chalmers doesnt have the vision of rondo. theyre both very similar tho, great defenders with a lot of athleticsm but as some1 said earlier the celtics only had pierce who really handled the ball alot the heat have wade and james who both handle the ball twice as much as pierce ever did. saying that i dont think chalmers will turn into a rondo but if hes smart hell work on his shooting more and become an even better shooter than he already is because hes going to get alot of open looks...

This.

Rondo is more athletic than Chalmers but Chalmers is the better shooter which I have a hard time saying because Rondo is not actually a bad shooter...

Run&Gun
07-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Well i was just wondering because i dont think many people especially Celtics fans really thought Rondo was gonna turn out the way he did.

That's partially true, but Rondo was considered the best pure PG of his draft class even when it was draft day, but he had so many holes in his games that people thought he would be more of a project and take a lot longer to develop, but obviously it helped him having the big three, where even the threat of having Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and KG help spread the floor so he could really drive into the lane.

jackdawson
07-21-2010, 04:42 AM
This.

Rondo is more athletic than Chalmers but Chalmers is the better shooter which I have a hard time saying because Rondo is not actually a bad shooter...

Hahaha...He is a bad shooter. If anything that's missing from Rondo's game is his poor shooting. He will be unguardable if he develops a decent jump shot and will be the best all-round point guard in the league.

Kashmir13579
07-21-2010, 04:44 AM
no way. absolutely not.

NYC DRUMMER
07-21-2010, 04:46 AM
no , rajon is good , mr. chalmers sucks ***

kurivaimu
07-21-2010, 05:02 AM
hahaha
nice joke
chalmers like rondo
hahaha..
made my day

bolts4ever
07-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Lebron and Wade will allow Chalmers to do what he does best.

Thats play defense and catch & shoot 3's.

NBA-GMaster
07-21-2010, 05:03 AM
He could be..

knickfan33
07-21-2010, 05:47 AM
im a Lakers fan but this is somewhat interesting, considering the Heat go with Chalmers at the PG to start the year do you think he will turn out better like how Rondo did with the Celtics. I mean Rondo was thrown in there with Allen, Pierce and KG but Chalmers has even better players around him with Wade, James and Bosh. So do you guys think he will get better.

LMAO!!!!! Chalmers couldn't wash Rondo's jock strap...... i doubt he'll even start, mike miller is a much better all around player.

i absolutely hate the celtics, and i will say Rondo is probably the 2nd best PG in the league...this thread is a joke

JayW_1023
07-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Not even close.

Celtic AL
07-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Hahaha...He is a bad shooter. If anything that's missing from Rondo's game is his poor shooting. He will be unguardable if he develops a decent jump shot and will be the best all-round point guard in the league. he could be a good shooter but not great

Celtic AL
07-21-2010, 06:50 AM

if he had a good season i guarantee People will say he had help from his Team mates

tdunk21
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
:laugh:

magichatnumber9
07-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Rondo is not a bad shooter, he is horrible and I'm a Celtics fan.

ragee
07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't think so... He is not that good...

heatfan03
07-21-2010, 07:33 AM
No he won't turn into another Rajon Rondo but he will improve a lot this season.

this, chalmers is similar but a shooter more currently, he will definetly become a good point guard because chalmers puts in the effort, he works hard and it will pay off for him if he continues and doesnt coast on the big 3's back.
he wont be an all star this season but hes still young and maybe in 2seasons he could get up there and be a decent pg. hes gotta work on his decision making and not be so quick to shoot.

if he had a good season i guarantee People will say he had help from his Team mates
it took a couple seasons for rondo to get acknowledgement because of this. great players make everyone around them better though.

Good post. It's nice to see a thread actually discuss sports intellectually. Recently, it's been pretty immature on PSD.
so true!

inthecut-miami
07-21-2010, 07:35 AM
as a heat fan, realisticly, i think he will be a nice fit with what we have arounnd him, but i dont think he will be another rondo, rondo is a play maker, has great court vision, and stepped up in games when there 3 was struggling at times, i dont know if chalmers is capable of that.

heatfan03
07-21-2010, 07:40 AM

this, chalmers is similar but a shooter more currently, he will definetly become a good point guard because chalmers puts in the effort, he works hard and it will pay off for him if he continues and doesnt coast on the big 3's back.
he wont be an all star this season but hes still young and maybe in 2seasons he could get up there and be a decent pg. hes gotta work on his decision making and not be so quick to shoot.

it took a couple seasons for rondo to get acknowledgement because of this. great players make everyone around them better though.

so true!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
rondo was better than chalmers when they both became part of the contenders

pebloemer
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Better comparison. I agree with this.

JasonJohnHorn
07-21-2010, 08:24 AM
NO!!! He will be lucky if he ends up being Miami's Steve Kerr. When Allen and Garnett came to Boston, neither were players who brought the ball up or ran plays. Allen came off screens and moved without the ball to get open and have the balled dished to him, he wasnt the type to create off the dribble. And Garnet was the type to work the boards, focus on defence, and provide some reliable low post scoring and drawing a double team so that his teammates could have an open floor. And Pierce, he liked to bring the ball up sometimes and run isolation plays to create off the dribble, so Rondo only had one guy of the "Big Three" to share ball handling duties with. Chambers? Well, as we've seen in Cleveland, LBJ loves to bring the ball up and is very good at it. He creates for othrs, for himself, handles the ball well and sets up plays well. Wade also likes to bring the ball up (he did play point guard his first couple of seasons) and also run isolation players. It would be kind like how Jordan and Pippen shared ball handling duties (I'm not comparing the four as players, just the fact that they both brought the ball up). Jordan and Pippen handled the ball and guys like Paxson, Harper and Kerr just worked the wing, trying to create space and get open should Jordan or Pippen draw the double team and have a clear path to them.

Chambers has taken a lot of threes and I assume fancies himself a three point shooter, so i assume he will be playing much the roll as Steve Kerr and not so much the role of Rondo.

krest213
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM

:clap:

krest213
07-21-2010, 08:40 AM

:puke: :)

MiamiWadeCounty
07-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I think Chalmers has the ability to become better, but him and Rondo are two very different players. Rondo attacks the basket. Chalmers can't. Chalmers can make a three pointer. Rondo Can't. Playing with superstars I think Chalmers will be open more, but he lacks the quickness and strength to be up there with Rondo who is now probaly a top 6 pg. 1.CP3 2.Dwill 3.Nash(still) 4.Parker 5.Rose 6.Rondo

Unruly Fan
07-21-2010, 08:55 AM
hes gonna have the same type of impact as mo williams did on Cleveland. I'd work on my perimeter shooting if I were him.

IndyRealist
07-21-2010, 08:58 AM

I have to agree with this. The difference between Rondo and Chalmers is that Chalmers signed for the minimum, Rondo was almost a deal-breaker in the Garnett trade (Boston refused to give him up). I think there's a talent disparity there.

Truheatfan
07-21-2010, 08:59 AM

agreed! :clap:

also chalmers isnt a great ball handler as rondo. rondo can get anwhere on the court he wants and puts pressure on the defense in the paint to keep him out. chalmers has some ability to attack but is more of a shooter so i think he will get alot more open looks and have some more room to get in the lanes and get more assist but he is not another rondo as much as id like that to be true :D

shep33
07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Honestly this depend... He's not as good as Rondo, nowhere near, but what's his role going to be on this team?

Heck is he even going to take the ball up the court? Cause I know Wade and James often did that for their teams. Don't think he's going to be a distributer at all, just because the ball is gonna be in Wade or Lebron's hands most of the game.

He can shoot which is really all he'd have to do on this team.

king4day
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
He should look a lot better, but Rondo actually played a big part in the Celtics season. So it's big shoes to fill. Also, I don't think Chalmers' potential is close to what Rondo's was.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Heat use Wade or James as a PG if Chalmers fails and then inevidibly is traded.

DLeeicious
07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
lol just because a young point guard gets surrounded by a lot of talent doesn't mean they turn into a Rondo style point guard. Rondo has always had tons of ability he dropped in the draft because there were questions of his intelligence which is obviously needed at running the point. He got some very high IQ basketball players around him and then all things clicked for him.

This won't happen to Chalmers.

mikantsass
07-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Nooooo.... Chalmers has a completely different skill set than Rondo. Chalmers is a shooter, Rondo is a defender distributer rebounder(for a guard).

unleashthebeast
07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
hes never gonna be as athletic or defensively skilled as rondo but he is a better shooter so we will take our chances. he is definetely gonna be a way better player playing with the three kings

S-Dot
07-21-2010, 09:27 AM
He'll have to take that role on the team as a PG who will have to pick up his game tremendously throughout the season. He may be able to do so, but he won't be as good as Rondo.

However, with that being said, he does not have to be as good as Rondo became. Rondo was playing with an aging KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen so his game had to improve drastically from 2008 to 2009 to 2010. Because Bosh, Wade, and LBJ are still at the highest points of their careers and younger, Chalmers won't have as huge a burden these upcoming seasons.

h2r09
07-21-2010, 09:28 AM
the fact that you are even asking that question shows me you haqve never seen chalmers play. rondo is a special player athletically and quickness wise, chalmers has nothing special to his game. he is a nice combo guard off the bench but a superstar like rondo? not a chance.

marlinsfan24
07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Derrick Fisher 2.0 sounds accurate.

joel47802
07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
The only thing Chalmers can do better than rondo is shoot.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
No. Hes not even Derek Fisher either. Chalmers will probably be replaced in the lineup early if he doesn't knock down open shots.

Secondly, Chalmers will not have any playmaking duties or be trusted with running the Heat's offense like Rondo. Chalmers' job will be to defend the opposing PG and just knock down 3's when hes open.

runforrestrunx9
07-21-2010, 10:08 AM
its weird i wans thinkin about making this same exact thread... i think chalmers will get
alot better this season and while he wont play like rondo (style), he will develope into a very key piece of that team

BALLER71
07-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Shows how much you know about basketball. Chalmers is not athletic at all and he's not a good defender

Atownballa5
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Nope

topdog
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Hell-to-the-NO!

Rondo came out of Kentucky as a very good passer and defender. Quite frankly I was surprised, then, that he was drafted so low. He just wasn't (and stilll isn't) a good shooter. Chalmers would have fallen even further than he did had he not hit a big shot in the championship.

mavwar53
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM
the answer is Hell No

Raph12
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Not even close...

uws
07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
:facepalm:

threads get dumber by the day.

no, chalmers is bad, rondo showed promise. rondo lived up to his potential. that is all.

Avenged
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Doubtful but like a lot of posters mentioned, he will improve.

Ethix11
07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I always thought about this even before those guys signed. Yeah, his numbers are definitely going to go up this season.

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
I think Duhon has a better chance at being Orlando's Rando then Chalmers does for Miami

Abdul Mutalib
07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't even consider Chalmers as a PG but with their team they don't need one, just dudes that can shoot. However, if they were to get a "pass-first" type PG then this team is more scary then it already is.

sep11ie
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Your just saying that cuz he black

twoearl
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Yup. Anybody who says they knew Rondo would turn out this good is not being truthful. For NBA players it's all about confidence. I bet any amount of money by the end of the season there will hundreds of Mario Chalmers is the GOAT threads....

awmathewsjr
07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
improve-yes, rondo-no. he's not that type of pg

IndyRealist
07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Yup. Anybody who says they knew Rondo would turn out this good is not being truthful. For NBA players it's all about confidence. I bet any amount of money by the end of the season there will hundreds of Mario Chalmers is the GOAT threads....

Well I yelled at the TV when they announced the Pacers picked Shawne Williams when Rondo was still on the board. So some of us had an idea.

Abdul Mutalib
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Rondo was a mediocre player on the Celtics when they were the bottom feeders of the Eastern Conference. With the formation of the "Big 3" and almost instant success after this, Rondo is now considered one of the premier guards in the NBA?

Obviously this kid had talent coming in but I think he is just the product of the Doc Rivers' system and approach to the game and learning from the veterans on that team. I think Ray Allen, Garnett and Cassel had a huge influence on him and gave him a lot of confidence to prove he belongs with them.

LakersIn5
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
why not? rondo sucked more than chalmers before the celtics big 3 came.. and people were calling anyone outside the big 3 trash. and rondo is one of those and noone expected him to be this good. so why cant it happen to chalmers?

miller74
07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I like chalmers hes a solid player but he doesnt not have the talent Rondo has. Rondo was a star in college contributed on a NBA Championship team and now hes basically just learning to play and he has learned to get the most out of his extradinary talent. IMO top 3 PG in the league and i dont think Chalmers is on that level

Gibby23
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
LMAO!!!!! Chalmers couldn't wash Rondo's jock strap...... i doubt he'll even start, mike miller is a much better all around player.

i absolutely hate the celtics, and i will say Rondo is probably the 2nd best PG in the league...this thread is a joke

I don't think he would want to.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
why not? rondo sucked more than chalmers before the celtics big 3 came.. and people were calling anyone outside the big 3 trash. and rondo is one of those and noone expected him to be this good. so why cant it happen to chalmers?

False.

1. Do you know why Boston chose to keep Rondo over Telfair & West? Thats because Rondo had shown at the end of the 06-07 season that he offered the better option at PG. Rondo averaged 13/5/5/2.5 during the month of April when he took over as starting PG. This was with the offense running through Pierce instead of Rondo having the role he has now.

2. Rondo is important to the Big 3 because Rondo is the guy who sets up the plays for Boston. He took over for Pierce who basically had to play leading scorer and a Point Forward role for Boston before KG & Allen arrived. Rondo is a proven PG, he brings the leadership that you expect at the PG position and he even did that at Kentucky even in the midst of his turbulent relationship with Tubby. Chalmers has never had that quality, even at Kansas he never was the main PG. He shared PG duties with Collins & Robinson.

3. Chalmers will be relegated to spot shooter on the court. LeBron will be listed as a SF but LeBron will be the PG of the Miami Heat, thats because LeBron is a premier playmaker in the NBA with his passing ability. Wade will also be setting up plays as well like he did the past few seasons, but he mainly will be playing off of LeBron. It keeps double teams off of Wade, and double teams off of LeBron. Chalmers at the most will average 3 APG next season on the Heat, chances are he will probably play 20-25 MPG again depending on who else the Heat bring in at PG.

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I like chalmers hes a solid player but he doesnt not have the talent Rondo has. Rondo was a star in college contributed on a NBA Championship team and now hes basically just learning to play and he has learned to get the most out of his extradinary talent. IMO top 3 PG in the league and i dont think Chalmers is on that level

This.

Chalmers' value comes on defense. Rondo had a higher upside coming into the NBA because hes a great athlete and was a floor general at Kentucky. The knock on Rondo was that he couldn't shoot and that he couldn't physically play in the NBA due to his size. Rondo came into the NBA as the 2nd smallest player in terms of weight in the NBA, and he is the lightest right now depending on if Boykins plays next season.

Chalmers brings defense and 3 PT shooting. He couldn't do the 3 PT shooting well enough last season, thus him being a rotational player. I still think he can be a good defender in the NBA, but those 2 qualities will be all thats asked of him this season.

Seriously why would the Heat put the ball in Chalmers' hands to make plays with Wade & LeBron on the court? :laugh2: Wade & LeBron themselves dont spread the court with shooting the same way Allen & Pierce do. Miami will have to put the ball in Wade or LeBron's hands so that the likes of Chalmers & Miller can spread the court with shooting.

blastmasta26
07-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Rondo and Chalmers have different play styles, so Chalmers will never be a Rondo type player. But if you mean in terms of little recognition and surprising development, I could see Chalmers get significantly better over the next few seasons albeit not as much as Rondo did. Chalmers will go from being a starter just because the Heat have no other PG to a guy that will be a reliable starter for them. He will be a good shooter and defender for them, the Fisher comparisons make sense.

hgtiger32
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
the heat are going to have to play around with their lineup, do you go with a

PG:Chalmers
SG:Wade
SF:LeBron
PF:Bosh
C: Big Z or Pitmann

OR

PG:Wade
SG:Miller
C:Big Z or Pitmann

J-Relo
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
just shoot the ball young fella

THE MTL
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Heat is going to upgrade at PG whether its this season or next cause Mario Chalmers SUCKS!

One thing about Rondo is that he is ALWAYS getting better. Mario Chalmers REGRESSED and good players NEVER regress!

defender4m
07-21-2010, 12:16 PM
hes def not as good as rondo

mlisica19
07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
His stats will improve but he wont be a RONDO.
rondo didnt just magically happen, they drafted him knowing he would be a good prospect and in return he came out elite like. Rondo can lead the Celtics or go on any team and be a great PG, make his players better and get the ball moving. Pierce Garnett Allen dont make Rondo better, Rondos the best transitional player in the game no matter who is on the court.

Chalmers will not be a Rondo... and in fact i think the Heat will not be successful.

They are not a mature team, they will have locker room and off the court problems and media havoc. The Big 3 each will wanna be the best player on that team. I have no doubt they will cause havoc in the reg. season but come playoff time. Bye Bye.

Knick_Fever
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Heeeeeeeeeeelllll noooooooo!!!!!

R_O_W_E
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

OR

I fully expect this lineup in the Playoffs.

PG: LeBron
SG: Wade
SF: Miller
PF: Bosh
C: Big Z/Anthony

blastmasta26
07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

OR

I would start the game with a traditional lineup with Chalmers-Wade backcourt. But depending on matchups and such, I would run with Wade-Miller as the guards if it helps the team more.

Yanks All Day
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Chalmers won't turn into the all around great player that Rondo has become. Rondo is an exceptional rebounder from the point guard spot and is naturally faster and more athletic. It might be asking too much to say that Chalmers will become a top 3 point guard in the league, as Rondo did. Rondo developed faster because he HAD to. KG, Pierce, and Allen were on the wrong side of 30 and the Celtics knew they only had/have so much time before their Big 3 fades. I don't see Mario Chalmers having to take on that much responsibility anytime within the next 4-6 years, at least. Wade, James, and Bosh will all be in their primes, and Wade/LBJ are ball dominant, unlike any of the Celtics' big 3. The Celtics are now Rondo's team. The Heat will not be Chalmers' team at any point.

That being said, Chalmers will definitely get a lot better, by virtue of having less responsibility and being around great players all the time. We definitely saw that with Rondo playing alongside 3 Hall of Famers, and I wouldn't expect any different with Chalmers playing alongside what looks like 2 Hall of Fame careers in LBJ and Wade. We already know he is a very good defender and has a good jump shot. By spotting up and letting Wade/LeBron do most of the work, he will get a lot more open shots where all he will have to do is step into them and knock em down. So, I see Chalmers' overall game improving and his shooting percentages going up, but I do not see him on Rondo's level.

WITZ
07-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Damn straight up disrespect to Rondo.Chalmers will be happy to be half the player Rondo is so that's a big NO.

Heater4life
07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Chalmers won't turn into the all around great player that Rondo has become. Rondo is an exceptional rebounder from the point guard spot and is naturally faster and more athletic. It might be asking too much to say that Chalmers will become a top 3 point guard in the league, as Rondo did. Rondo developed faster because he HAD to. KG, Pierce, and Allen were on the wrong side of 30 and the Celtics knew they only had/have so much time before their Big 3 fades. I don't see Mario Chalmers having to take on that much responsibility anytime within the next 4-6 years, at least. Wade, James, and Bosh will all be in their primes, and Wade/LBJ are ball dominant, unlike any of the Celtics' big 3. The Celtics are now Rondo's team. The Heat will not be Chalmers' team at any point.

That being said, Chalmers will definitely get a lot better, by virtue of having less responsibility and being around great players all the time. We definitely saw that with Rondo playing alongside 3 Hall of Famers, and I wouldn't expect any different with Chalmers playing alongside what looks like 2 Hall of Fame careers in LBJ and Wade. We already know he is a very good defender and has a good jump shot. By spotting up and letting Wade/LeBron do most of the work, he will get a lot more open shots where all he will have to do is step into them and knock em down. So, I see Chalmers' overall game improving and his shooting percentages going up, but I do not see him on Rondo's level.

Couldnt agree more

Sadds The Gr8
07-21-2010, 01:44 PM
he won't be as good as rondo, but he'll improve and become a better defender and shooter.

Sandman
07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
no. and no.

Rondo >>>>>>>>> Chalmers.

Even before the first title run. They put Rondo off limits in the KG negotiations.

mjt20mik
07-21-2010, 01:56 PM
no. And no.

Rondo >>>>>>>>> chalmers.

Even before the first title run. They put rondo off limits in the kg negotiations.

+1

Lakersho
07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
...no, he should get better . but wouldn't go there...

qbanheatfan
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Where do you get that they thought he would be good after his first season. When the big 3 came in for them they were talking about trading him for a proven pg. All the so called experts had him rated as an average NBA pg and now some praise him as being in the top 3. Let's just see what happens. I don't think Chalmers will become Rondo but it would be nice to see if Chalmers could improve his game over the next yr playing with these three guys. I think he's the player to watch out for this yr. He's been working hard over the summer on his game and really wants to make up for becoming complacent last yr and allowing a guy like Arroyo to take his starting role. He doesn't want that to happen again and I expect Chalmers will win back the starting pg role; mainly because his defense is hands down 10x's better then Arroyo's and is much more likely to hit the open three then Arroyo would be.

LeGacy is Music
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
NEVER EVER if you said can DWADE become the General of the HEAT like Rondo YES I can see that because of how he was running the point during the All star Game but why is this in the Knicks Forum?????

BkOriginalOne
07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

First of all, I've been a fan of Rondo since his Kentucky days, I remember him being as high as number 5 on draft boards. I knew Rondo had this level of talent before he entered the NBA.

Chalmers will never be an all star and doesn't have the talent that Rondo has.

Rondo is a better defender, passer, rebounder, finisher and leader.

Chalmers has a better shot (which isn't saying much)

ROndo gets close to 9dimes per contest and Chalmers wouldn't be able to average more than 3-4 on this heat team.
Why do you think the HEAT were considering Fisher, they have no plans to run an offense through a PG.

xbrackattackx
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Absolutely

not.

PC
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Not at all the Heat have two ball dominating guys in Wade and LeBron so it's really nothing like the situation in Boston

mets77
07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
:facepalm:

plpfctn
07-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Chalmers is a below average NBA player. There's a reason why Riley wanted to poach Derek Fisher from the Lakers. He doesn't believe in his kid.

celtsballa21
07-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Mario Chalmers declined from when he came into the league and he isn't about to "break out". Hes surrounded by 3 players who have been the only big scorers for their team and they will probably eat up the 75 points a game, leaving around 20 for 5 players, so Chalmers wont be a good scorer. He isnt going to be a great passer or anything because the those 3 will play iso like the always have and their wont be much for assists other than Wade to Lebron or Lebron to Wade. He also lacks any defensive skill or driving skill where Rondo's strongpoints are. This is a terrible comparison, second best point guard to a sub-par undersized shooting guard.

Sandman
07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I didn't think of that. Chalmers will probably be at least the 3rd best point guard on his own team, even if he starts.

Russollini
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
HE can be a good defender, descent shooter, and will benefit from being around the other guys, but he had Wade for 2 years already. He actually had better chemistry with Beas then Wade, and seemed to play better when the second unit was on the floor, and he could be a true PG.

The only reason he is on this team right now though is he is cheap, so if he wants to keep a roster spot he needs to prove he is worth it.

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Not even close

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
nooo, he wont even touch the ball half as much as rondo, theres still a chance wade or james start at the 1

DaBUU
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
if you mean being Rondo as in a dirty cheap shot lil overrated douchebag? could be

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
if you mean being Rondo as in a dirty cheap shot lil overrated douchebag? could be

wooow someone doest like rondo

jackdawson
07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Rondo is not a bad shooter, he is horrible and I'm a Celtics fan.

This, how do some people not see it? He has everything else to be the best point guard in the league except jump shooting.

djlamer
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
don't think so at all. rondo is the primary ball handler like everybody else has said. thats probably gonna be wade or lebron. those 2 aren't gonna be taking directions from chalmers.
and i do think rondo is a little overrated.

Sandman
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
This, how do some people not see it? He has everything else to be the best point guard in the league except jump shooting.

He's a Jason Kidd. He'll probably get better as he gets older because his shot might be the only thing he needs to work on.

Hustlenomics
07-21-2010, 04:06 PM
no. rondo is actually good

_KB24_
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
I can see him becoming a Derek Fisher type player in his career. Decent outside game and solid defense is all that will be asked from him. The kid has shown he can shoot the ball in pressure moments. That shot he hit against Memphis a couple years back is in the Top 5 I've ever seen. It was simply amazing.

utl768
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
not rondo level but chalmers is a solid player and will be even better with lebron wade and bosh as he will get a ton of wide open shots

Minimal
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Actually I see in Mario Chalmers a main point guard in the Heat dynasty for next several years.
Mario is a very good defender same as Rondo, however their play styles are very different. Chalmers is more combo guard and Rondo is pure point guard.
Heat will need him to make shots and sometimes to make passes, which he can easily make and Rondo is main playmaker for Celtics.
This players are kinda similar in some way and they both have big 3's in their team.
Compare both player stats:
Chalmers 1st NBA season: 32 MPG 10 PPG 2.8 RPG 4.9 APG 2.0 SPG
Rondo 2nd NBA season: 30 MPG 10.6 PPG 4.2 RPG 5.1 APG 1.7 SPG
Chalmers can shoot better than Rondo, Rondo can assist better than Chalmers.
Chalmers can develop into a very good player next season, he has will to do that, but that won't be Rondo, that will be Chalmers.

PackerGuru
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
He's a solid pro, but no way is he at or will he reach rondo's level, he doesn't push the ball or create at the level of rondo. rondo makes the celtics go, without him there wack, and no way is chalmbers having that affect on the heat. hes more like a fisher to them than rondo.

scutch11
07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
the only similarity between rondo and chalmers other than each having their own big three is their defense...its really hard to compare the two because they play extremely different styles.

a better comparison for chalmers is a young d-fish. this will be a make-or-break year for him, as he has to prove that he can be a reliable clutch three point shooter in the way that fisher did on that shaqobe team

dtmagnet
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Not a chance.