PDA

View Full Version : Magic: 'That's not what we were about'

MadBomber
07-21-2010, 02:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5395989

Add Magic Johnson's voice to fellow Hall of Famer Michael Jordan's: Neither ever thought of combining forces the way LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh did earlier this month with the Miami Heat.
"We didn't think about it 'cause that's not what we were about," Johnson said at Baruch College in New York, according to Bloomberg News. "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

This past weekend, Jordan said at a celebrity golf event that he never would have played with Johnson or Bird, his two main rivals during his playing days.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry [Bird], called up Magic [Johnson] and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. The interview aired on the NBC telecast of the event. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Johnson added on Tuesday: "It was never a question in our mind because nobody has ever done that."

Wade re-signed with Miami, while James and Bosh joined the Heat via free agency earlier this month.

DaBossLaker04
07-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Just more proof that true competitors want to beat the best out there... not join the best and win.... I k ow Kobe and the Lakers will destroy this three headed beast!

Avenged
07-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Yep, it's just different eras and now it seems like the NBA is headed in the direction in which stars will be teaming up together.

Jack Daniels
07-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Yep, it's just different eras and now it seems like the NBA is headed in the direction in which stars will be teaming up together.

We'll have to see how the test run works out before any guarantee others will be doing the same thing.

MadBomber
07-21-2010, 03:27 AM
We'll have to see how the test run works out before any guarantee others will be doing the same thing.

I agree with this assessment.

djlamer
07-21-2010, 03:34 AM
i think the test run was the '08 celts.....and we all know how that ended up......

robdizzle3
07-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Lebron is getting it from both MJ's. Both of his idols are downing what they did and you know its ringing in their heads.

Avenged
07-21-2010, 03:42 AM

Its already began with the Celtics and they ended up winning a title.

The Lakers as well, different scenario though since Gasol was acquired in a trade but still you get the point.

And now the Heat are doing it.

Amare came out and said something in the likes of Melo and Chris Paul joining him as well, which is just rumors right now of course.

DaBossLaker04
07-21-2010, 08:58 AM
The only difference between the 08 Celtics and Miami right now is that LeFail, Posh Diva, and Wade decided to do it while they were still young.

o.reams2425
07-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Why is everyone so upset? Nobody thinks (not even Mia) that the heat will win this year. The lakers are playing to tie the celtics in rings, phil is coaching to get his 4th 3peat, Kobe is playing to tie Mike. Their all playing to win with a looming "super team". With all that and also the west being as weak as its ever been, why is everyone so upset about the Lakers being more motivated the ever? The heat arent a playoff team yet. big z starting 82 games and going deep into the playoffs? He wont be a factor. Haslem, is the back up big and he's 6'8. Not a factor. And yes i hate boston, but even Laker fans have to admit that boston has the best zone d in the league, seeing that the heat only have 1 shooter, arent they already built to "beat the heat"? I think they may have something to say about the "new big 3" also. boston and LA round 3!!!

whitemamba33
07-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Magic played with Worthy and Kareem...did he really need to go anywhere else?

And it might be accurate to say that yes, the NBA has changed in TWENTY YEARS.

Why are people still talking about this? Show some faith in your team, get over it, and stop crying. It was fine the day after...but now it's just pathetic.