PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd thinks the Miami Heat will 'hurt the NBA'

JJ_JKidd
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Not sounding like I wanted to defend my man but true enough Stern said that the NBA lost something like $300 M next season. And its really hard to imagine that Cle and Toronto right now dont have no one to call as their "star" on their respective teams.

PS- Equating Keith Van Horn and Kerry Kittles as "STARS" seem absurd to me, really...

And furthermore, who is Jason Kidd to say there shouldn't be three stars on the same team? After all, this is a guy who gladly teamed up with Kerry Kittles and Keith Van Horn for two consecutive finals appearances. He seemed OK with three huge superstars on the same team back then.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Jason-Kidd-thinks-the-Miami-Heat-will-hurt-the-?urn=nba,257087

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 09:55 PM
close

JNA17
07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
heat fans: **** jason kidd that old loser son of a *****!!!

Heat Haters: Kidd the man

Everyone else: who gives a crap?

Gators123
07-20-2010, 09:58 PM

/end thread

ManRam
07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
The amount of media attention the Heat are getting and will get (The Decision was ESPN's highest rated non-NFL event of the year) is going to be a great thing for the NBA.

I'm not so sure it's a bad thing. It makes for a great storyline.

still1ballin
07-20-2010, 10:00 PM

:clap:

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
The amount of media attention the Heat are getting and will get (The Decision was ESPN's highest rated non-NFL event of the year) is going to be a great thing for the NBA.

true

hestar
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I think jason kidd will hurt his ex wife...Ohh waitt...

Gambeezy
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM

:laugh2:

BronBron06
07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Dont they have a very talented squad?

Marion, Butler, Kidd, Terry, Nowitzki, Haywood, Dampier

It's like loaded every position, one can replace the other... yet lost in 1st round

Remember how people expected them to conquer the WEST

Probably curse of the Wizard players

Pierzynski4Prez
07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
link?

HouRealCoach
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
He's just mad because probably could have took MLE and played with Kobe/Gasol, Lebron, Wade/Shaq, etc. and he got stuck with that choke artist Dirk chasing money lol

Master Mind
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Exactly. The coverage these guys are getting without even playing one game together in a Heat uniform is unprecedented, just by the reaction of the media and legends have already made this trio legendary in its own right.

Hiphopopotamus
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM

You just saved me a hour lol:D

BronBron06
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
nice comment master mind

Thank you guys for making Heat NOTORIOUS :D

You just increased people's awareness that Miami Heat is the team to watch after

And it's finally not Lakers and Boston anymore :) No more monotonous scenarios right

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM

h2r09
07-20-2010, 10:24 PM
however you feel about the team, this is going to be a great thing in the nba. people will watch, plain and simple.

kjoke
07-20-2010, 10:25 PM

this right here is an educated post

JasonJohnHorn
07-20-2010, 10:26 PM
How could htey refer to Kittles and KVH as not just "stars", but "huge superstars" when he played with Martin, Carter and Jefferson, who have all had better careers than Kittles and KVH.

I'm not sure what Kidd's concerns are exactly, but this does hurt the league. It dilutes the talent around the league and creates a trend where three guys take up 90% of the salary cap and leave 10% for the other 9 players. I dont think that pattern is good for the players in general and I dont think the Players Union will be to happy about seeing the contract size for mid-level talent drop dramatically because teams follow suit with the Miami pattern should it work (which I hope for the benefit of the league is doesnt).

What is best for the league is that the talent should be spread around so that teams are more competative.

Look at the Heat the last couple years, their fans in general, and I'm talking about casual fans, not guys on here who are passionate enough about their team to show up hear and give props to their guys, but the rather the fans that wouldnt buy tickets to games and left so many empty seats in the stadium the last couple years.

If talent is spread out evenly (it would never be perfect) fans interest will rise in the game. If there are only 4 or 5 teams that really content, then the other 25 or so teams are going to suffer due to lack of fan interest. Look at NO between making a legit run to missing the playoffs. Fans just didnt watch.

HoopsDrive
07-20-2010, 10:26 PM

x2

I'm going to watch Heat games just to see what the trio will do on a nightly basis.

Bulls_fan90
07-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Kidd the man.

BkOriginalOne
07-20-2010, 10:30 PM

It's like loaded every position, one can replace the other... yet lost in 1st round

Let's Rank the top 6 players from the Mavs and Heat

1. Lebron
2. Wade
3. Dirk
4. Bosh
5. Kidd
6. Butler

I don't think your point is made, considering 3 of the top 4 players btw these two teams play on the eat.
AND, them losing in the first round had more to do with the play of San Antonio than the lack of talent on the Mavs Roster.

Honestly, in the playoffs last year, the Spurs could have beat the Nuggets (w/o karl), The Jazz, Portland, maybe the Thunder.
That's how well the Spurs match up with teams and how they played last post season.

But, in relation to Kidd's point. No matter how you put it, it's sort of bad of the NBA. 3 of the top 5 draft picks from the same draft on the same team?
Isn't that like Jordan, Barkley and Hakeem on the same team?

Say what you want to say about Lebron wanting to win and even sacrificing money to play with the HEAT. I say, BS. Lebron could signed for the MLE and left the HEAT with money to get more talent making the it easier to sign other players.
By this business model the Knicks should sign Chris Paul, Brandon Roy, Melo and DHoward to 5-8 mil a year. THAT RIGHT THERE is sacrificing money to win. IN the new NBA scope, you can only build a similar team to have a shot at the title, or be blessed with an upgraded version of the 2005 Pistons.

Lebron fought the title dream waaay shorter than other greats (stockton has been to the Finals how many times?) He shoulda toughed it out, you're 25, really? Star panicking when your approaching 30.

This is why it''s going to be so funny when the Heat don't win the finals.

BkOriginalOne
07-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Let's Rank the top 6 players from the Mavs and Heat

1. Lebron
2. Wade
3. Dirk
4. Bosh
5. Kidd
6. Butler

I don't think your point is made, considering 3 of the top 4 players btw these two teams play on the eat.
AND, them losing in the first round had more to do with the play of San Antonio than the lack of talent on the Mavs Roster.

Honestly, in the playoffs last year, the Spurs could have beat the Nuggets (w/o karl), The Jazz, Portland, maybe the Thunder.
That's how well the Spurs match up with teams and how they played last post season.

But, in relation to Kidd's point. No matter how you put it, it's sort of bad of the NBA. 3 of the top 5 draft picks from the same draft on the same team?
Isn't that like Jordan, Barkley and Hakeem on the same team?

Say what you want to say about Lebron wanting to win and even sacrificing money to play with the HEAT. I say, BS. Lebron could signed for the MLE and left the HEAT with money to get more talent making the it easier to sign other players.
By this business model the Knicks should sign Chris Paul, Brandon Roy, Melo and DHoward to 5-8 mil a year. THAT RIGHT THERE is sacrificing money to win. IN the new NBA scope, you can only build a similar team to have a shot at the title, or be blessed with an upgraded version of the 2005 Pistons.

Lebron fought the title dream waaay shorter than other greats (stockton has been to the Finals how many times?) He shoulda toughed it out, you're 25, really? Star panicking when your approaching 30.

This is why it''s going to be so funny when the Heat don't win the finals.

HoopsDrive
07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
How could htey refer to Kittles and KVH as not just "stars", but "huge superstars" when he played with Martin, Carter and Jefferson, who have all had better careers than Kittles and KVH.

I'm not sure what Kidd's concerns are exactly, but this does hurt the league. It dilutes the talent around the league and creates a trend where three guys take up 90% of the salary cap and leave 10% for the other 9 players. I dont think that pattern is good for the players in general and I dont think the Players Union will be to happy about seeing the contract size for mid-level talent drop dramatically because teams follow suit with the Miami pattern should it work (which I hope for the benefit of the league is doesnt).

What is best for the league is that the talent should be spread around so that teams are more competative.

Look at the Heat the last couple years, their fans in general, and I'm talking about casual fans, not guys on here who are passionate enough about their team to show up hear and give props to their guys, but the rather the fans that wouldnt buy tickets to games and left so many empty seats in the stadium the last couple years.

If talent is spread out evenly (it would never be perfect) fans interest will rise in the game. If there are only 4 or 5 teams that really content, then the other 25 or so teams are going to suffer due to lack of fan interest. Look at NO between making a legit run to missing the playoffs. Fans just didnt watch.

That really depends. My interest in the NBA as a whole has risen a LOT ever since the big 3 joined together (both the Celts and now the Heat).

Yunqn
07-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Exactly. The coverage these guys are getting without even playing one game together in a Heat uniform is unprecedented, just by the reaction of the media and legends have already made this trio legendary in its own right.

thats the point.. sooo many teams will not get any coverage at all.. leaving the balance of the league gone..while the heat could make a 1$ teams like indy,tor,clev,minny,det,char & etc will make 5 cents market wise compared to them because their fans will rather watch heat than their own teams because of losing and bad contracts..and obv the media that follows miami now..

but it isnt the heat that can or will save the nba its the big market teams like nyk,nj,chicago,lac,hou that all will bounce back or be better than last(chicago will just get better).. the heat will hurt the nba overall.. but the bounce back from other big markets that been shedding contracts are now in it to win..so idk the bad markets will be over with.. but gs & washington are better and theyr top 10 in the market so idk.. just the bad teams.. but theyre goina be 10x worse then last year thats my point .. their worse will be worse then ... well their worse..

JJ_JKidd
07-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Bottomline: Other teams will suffer next season because their team clearly lacks the firepower that the Heat and Lakers for instance possess. This will become a trend in the future. Think about the rumored CP3 and Melo tandem. What's gonna be left of the Hornets and the Thuggets? Collison, David West and JR Smith and Billups? Come on.

All that im wishing for is the word PARITY if you all know what this means without having to consult some dictionary.

daleja424
07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
wow. these nba guys are real gutsy with this talk... NOT

as one writer put it, adding a comment to the hate that already surrounds this team is like another snow flake falling in a blizzard. I love how all these dudes are coming out of the woodwork to criticize the heat now... way to be original. way to take a stand j-kidd :rolleyes:

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 11:02 PM

as one writer put it, adding a comment to the hate that already surrounds this team is like another snow flake falling in a blizzard. I love how all these dudes are coming out of the woodwork to criticize the heat now... way to be original. way to take a stand j-kidd :rolleyes:

LOL!!! My favorite post of the day...

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 11:02 PM

JJ_JKidd
07-20-2010, 11:05 PM
What if Wade bolted the Heat to join Bron and Bosh in Cleveland??? Pretty sure that the Heat fans would say the same thing about PARITY and lack of balance in the NBA...

fins08
07-20-2010, 11:06 PM
**** jason kidd that old loser son of a *****!!!

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 11:07 PM
What if Wade bolted the Heat to join Bron and Bosh in Cleveland??? Pretty sure that the Heat fans would say the same thing about PARITY and lack of balance in the NBA...

i cant speak for heat fans but me personally wouldnt say any of that... believe it or not

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 11:08 PM

As a LeBron fan, the only thing I would have been mad about is if he stayed in Cleveland...

JNA17
07-20-2010, 11:10 PM
**** jason kidd that old loser son of a *****!!!

Kidd the man.

Who gives a crap? :p

Avenged
07-20-2010, 11:11 PM
When the Lakers acquired Gasol, it seemed like the whole league had an opinion about it.

Same thing is happening with the Heat, though I really don't understand why Kidd of all people would come out and say something about it.

AddiX
07-20-2010, 11:14 PM
No matter if you agree with what Heat did or not, it DOES hurt the league.

The simple fact is all you need to do is look at the league and the top teams are ridiculously stacked.

And when you think about the fact the teams like NJ and MN have been selling tickets for $5 and are still empty, it's not going to be very long until those teams aren't around anymore.

If these teams are bad AND have no star's, they are done. No network will play there games, advertisers will leave them, jerseys won't sell, stands will be empty = Less teams in the NBA.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
No matter if you agree with what Heat did or not, it DOES hurt the league.

The simple fact is all you need to do is look at the league and the top teams are ridiculously stacked.

And when you think about the fact the teams like NJ and MN have been selling tickets for $5 and are still empty, it's not going to be very long until those teams aren't around anymore.

If these teams are bad AND have no star's, they are done. No network will play there games, advertisers will leave them, jerseys won't sell, stands will be empty = Less teams in the NBA.

does it hurt the NBA? or other teams? can it hurt the name to hve a show like the heat will put on night after night? i cant even imagine the rating the first heat game will get.

sportsobsessor
07-20-2010, 11:23 PM
who cares what he says

JFresh_#8Nets
07-20-2010, 11:27 PM

No they'd just become Cavs fans. All these new heat fans are bandwagonners.

JFresh_#8Nets
07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Regardless who cares if the Heat have stars. It won't hurt the league. Plenty of teams will still beat them. They will be good, not unstoppable. **** what anyone says.

daleja424
07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I would have hated Wade for leaving, but I would have had no problem with him wanting to win.

ldc62
07-20-2010, 11:31 PM
As an unbiased fan here: I would bet anything Kidd would join the Heat had he been a FA this summer...

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
As an unbiased fan here: I would bet anything Kidd would join the Heat had he been a FA this summer...

exactly

LA_Raiders
07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Those young kids ****ed up

JFresh_#8Nets
07-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Hell yes.

jiggin
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM

legendary egotistical douche bags...but legendary none the less.

blastmasta26
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
I think it's only bad if they win 5+ consecutive titles with dominance. The NBA will be doing fine as long as there's some good competition in the playoffs and finals.

mynameismo
07-21-2010, 12:34 AM

djlamer
07-21-2010, 12:34 AM
i think this move definitely hurts the nba but helps the game of basketball if that even makes sense. seeing as the nba already lost 300mil last year, it could lose even more this year. thats 2 teams who are gonna have to find a way to sell more tickets now. and just having one team get better doesn't cut it. so what if everybody watches heat games on the road now. thats 41 games total for the league to share. cleveland and toronto have to find a way to attract people to 82 home games. not 1 or 2. i feel as if this move is shrinking the market but expanding basketball.

djlamer
07-21-2010, 12:35 AM
legendary egotistical douche bags...but legendary none the less.

legend of the one ring that ruled them all.......

blams
07-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Van Horn and Kittles were HUGE SUPERSTARS? No. :laugh:

dodie53
07-21-2010, 01:09 AM
are you Kidd ing?

Lakersho
07-21-2010, 01:13 AM

:cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket:

SouthEast DC
07-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Not sounding like I wanted to defend my man but true enough Stern said that the NBA lost something like $300 M next season. And its really hard to imagine that Cle and Toronto right now dont have no one to call as their "star" on their respective teams.

PS- Equating Keith Van Horn and Kerry Kittles as "STARS" seem absurd to me, really...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Jason-Kidd-thinks-the-Miami-Heat-will-hurt-the-?urn=nba,257087

WoW!!! Are you comparing them to Wade and Bosh????Stop The MADDENS!!!

JJ_JKidd
07-21-2010, 03:30 AM
When the Lakers acquired Gasol, it seemed like the whole league had an opinion about it.

Same thing is happening with the Heat, though I really don't understand why Kidd of all people would come out and say something about it.

Do I sound like im comparing them???? Aw men! You cant comprehend what im saying are you that young??!!

knickfan33
07-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Forget the money, im a fan, why do i care how much money they lost....It's bad because of the lack of competetive natre with the star athletes....NBA was great because Magic vs Bird, Wilt vs Russel...ect... now they all want to play together, it's terrable.

JayW_1023
07-21-2010, 06:21 AM
I loved Kidd when he was in his prime. People have forgotten how fast he was going coast to coast. He was amazing in his New Jersey days.

97NYer
07-21-2010, 06:29 AM

Now that is a summary.

knicksfan42
07-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Lol, superstars Kerry Kittles and Keith Van Horn. Yahoo definitely needs to fire this guy if he thinks averaging 20 points for one season makes you a superstar.

Lakers211221
07-21-2010, 07:39 AM
nice comment master mind

Thank you guys for making Heat NOTORIOUS :D

You just increased people's awareness that Miami Heat is the team to watch after

And it's finally not Lakers and Boston anymore :) No more monotonous scenarios right

It's not the Lakers? The back-to-back Champs? The team that was in the last 3 Championships? OK, if you say so...but, SF is the only position where Miami is better than LA:

PG: Fisher > Chalmers
SG: Kobe > Wade
SF: Artest < LBJ
PF: Pau > Bosh
C: Andrew > whatever rag-tag nobody you put here
Bench: Lakers bench >>> Heat bench

heatfan03
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
it just cracks me up how people make it seem like the heat or lbj/bosh/wade should not be doing this. any team takes this in a second having all 3.
all these players say this but what do they know about marketing? the vast majority didn't even graduate college and if they did it was taking special made schedules with extra help for them.

J kidd and the rest who are against this are hurt.

if the mavs pulled off a move and got lebron u could say they have more talent than the current head yet i'm sure kidd wouldn't be complaining then.

heatfan03
07-21-2010, 07:53 AM
It's not the Lakers? The back-to-back Champs? The team that was in the last 3 Championships? OK, if you say so...but, SF is the only position where Miami is better than LA:

dont listen to bron bron
as i posted in another thread we know we aren't the team to beat nor should we be.
we haven't played a game yet!

lakers are and although i disagree with ur analysis at positions and it isnt as siimple as that since its a team game , lakers do match up better and have championship experience.

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 07:54 AM
are we done with the heat yet?
at least until the season

JordansBulls
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Well Kidd had the opportunity later in his career to go play with Duncan.

truplayer199
07-21-2010, 09:11 AM
does it hurt the NBA? or other teams? can it hurt the name to hve a show like the heat will put on night after night? i cant even imagine the rating the first heat game will get.

This is one of the dumbest post i've ever read.

HiphopRelated
07-21-2010, 09:19 AM
How does it hurt the league when ratings will likely be better next year.

I don't get the whole "spread out" talk. A league full of mediocre? Wanting to watch great teams play is what casual fans want to see anyway.

Nobody's watching D-League that probably has parity out the yin yang

If it's that serious, maybe there are too many teams..yeah, contraction.

S-Dot
07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Kidd can say whatever he wants. He's a seasoned veteran and top 5 PG in NBA history. Realistically, his opinion doesn't matter, but he has the credibility to state it. It just made his quest for his first ring much more difficult though.

d00d
07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
the only teams this helped was Miami and whoever Miami is playing that night.

The rest of the teams other than the huge markets are going to suffer as usual.

times are about to get even worse and people are going to choose between food or tickets.

joel47802
07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Can we stop with the the Heat threads? Its getting annoying

and kerry kittles a superstar lmao :facepalm:

idub81
07-21-2010, 09:45 AM
its crazy how everybody all of a sudden care about the well being of the league. like someone said in a previous post kidd wouldnt be saying this if he was able to join miami. i thought the object of the game is to win, not worry about how competitive your opponent can or cant be

nycsports2
07-21-2010, 09:55 AM
i do thik lebron going there severly hurts the competition bc they should domintate but its yet to be seen time will tell... i do think (and not cuz im a knicks fan) going to the knicks or nets would of been better for the nba if i had to decide right now cuz its adds another contender

marlinsfan24
07-21-2010, 09:58 AM

This is basically what it is. The Lakers are a better team. But we all know that the game isn't dependent on talent, rather on matchups, so I'm still saying the Lakers are the superior team, because they are the defending champs, but we won't know which team is truly better till they faceoff.

Lakers are the better team on paper.

C-ross12
07-21-2010, 10:39 AM
How does it hurt the league when ratings will likely be better next year.

I don't get the whole "spread out" talk. A league full of mediocre? Wanting to watch great teams play is what casual fans want to see anyway.

Nobody's watching D-League that probably has parity out the yin yang

If it's that serious, maybe there are too many teams..yeah, contraction.

You explained it to yourself. If 16 teams had a legitamate shot at the title.. More fans would watch and be excited about the team they watched. You decrease that chance by stacking teams.. Plan and simple. Yes.. Cleveland fans will come out to watch Cleveland vs Miami.. but thats about it. They aren't going to come out and watch Cleveland vs Minnesota or Cleveland vs NJ or so on.
Before the heat fans come and gang up on me with "U mad?"s, let me say that the trio are totally within the rights they have to do such a thing. I dont care that they did, whatever, good for them. However, to say thats its not bad for the league that they did is totally wrong.

Avenged
07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Do I sound like im comparing them???? Aw men! You cant comprehend what im saying are you that young??!!

:confused: I don't even know who you are. I don't recall ever referring to you.

Abdul Mutalib
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
All in all, this fiasco doesn't not "hurt" the NBA financially. However, the politics of the game between the players and the organizations will be, negatively or positively remains to be seen.

If MJ, Magic, and now Kidd don't necessarily think this was a good idea then I think Lebron and Wade are listening and maybe having second thoughts because those guys are their seniors and heroes. As for CB1, he's just another role player not even on their level.

USMCLaker
07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
So is this the anti-heat thread of the day?

jkiddvc20
07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Van Horn and Kerry Kittles really compare to Wade and Lebron LMAO

BigEric
07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Kerry Kittles and Keith Van Horn = Wade-Bosh, Wade-Bron, Bosh-Bron? That's cute. This guys an idiot lol.

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Id have to agree

mikealike305
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
kidds an idiot