PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson will re-sign with the spurs Wednesday (tomorrow)

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/18437/latest-buzz-rj-shaq-t-mac-more

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=776&line=138056&spln=1

Just saw it at the bottom of espn, so now you can officially say this was the dumbest move this summer on Jefferson's part

disk 8
07-20-2010, 05:44 PM
why?

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/18437/latest-buzz-rj-shaq-t-mac-more

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=776&line=138056&spln=1

Just saw it at the bottom of espn, so now you can officially say this was the dumbest move this summer on Jefferson's part

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Just because he wanted an extension and sacrificed money? He wanted to help his team finacially but get an extenstion.........Please express ignorance somewhere else, money isn't everything, especially when you are already set for life.

This is the ultimate example of loyalty and for that RJ should be getting :worthy: and :clap:

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
bc he had a guaranteed 15 mill this year, why not sign an extension or wait til next year to renegotiate a deal

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 05:49 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Just because he wanted an extension and sacrificed money? He wanted to help his team finacially but get an extenstion.........Please express ignorance somewhere else, money isn't everything, especially when you are already set for life.

This is the ultimate example of loyalty and for that RJ should be getting :worthy: and :clap:

Your a nets fan i can see that you still feel strongly about him

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Your a nets fan i can see that you still feel strongly about him

Again :facepalm:

Me as an NBA fan applauds the guy. You should too. Everybody should. He didn't go ring chasing or switch teams based on money.

Hell Dirk took less money to stay!! Should we call him dumb?!?!?!?! No we applaud him too.

Reyes6
07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
But he doesn't fit with the Spurs. It would've been smart to have signed with a team that actually needed him.

nycclipse110
07-20-2010, 06:15 PM
he didnt do it to help the spurs at all.

kdspurman
07-20-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm glad for this move. It was a very honorable move by RJ as it puts S.A. under the luxury tax... I was a little hesitant about him coming back, but he played one year with us coming from a 2 teams with 2 totally different styles. The fact that he spent some time this summer working 1 on 1 with Pop says alot. Pop wants him to fit in and RJ wants to fit in. I would not be surprised if Pop was working on his defense and footwork to try and let him be that guy to guard the other teams best player since he is the most athletic in our starting 5. Who knows maybe he was working on that corner 3 a la bruce bowen. Depending on what lineup is out there that might be his job just to hit open shots. Should be an interesting year nonetheless

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
he didnt do it to help the spurs at all.

I read it somewhere he did.

He wanted to get more years for less money so the Spurs would have more money.

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Again :facepalm:

Me as an NBA fan applauds the guy. You should too. Everybody should. He didn't go ring chasing or switch teams based on money.

Hell Dirk took less money to stay!! Should we call him dumb?!?!?!?! No we applaud him too.

are you really gonna compare?? Dirk signed a 4 yr- 80 million dollar deal

Thats 20 a year! haha He took less money the first year!! So we can make moves, but it balances out by year, the last year of the contract he'll be making 22.5-23 mil!

tdunk21
07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
bc he had a guaranteed 15 mill this year, why not sign an extension or wait til next year to renegotiate a deal

he had to do it bcoz of the new CBA ......and why would it be a dumbest move?he wants a longer contract and he will get it hopefully.....

p.s: dont embarass urself when u dont know what the fcuk u r talking about....am not the only onw who feels this in this thread

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Why did he opt out?:confused:

njnets
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
he had to do it bcoz of the new CBA ......and why would it be a dumbest move?he wants a longer contract and he will get it hopefully.....

p.s: dont embarass urself when u dont know what the fcuk u r talking about....am not the only onw who feels this in this thread

this

i totally agree man. i think many people are signing up to PSD and dont have a clue about basketball, or at least basketball knowledge is decreasing. i remember when i signed up for this site, many of the posters were more knowleddable than the posters are today.

now, back on topic. 15 million is EXTREMELY hard to pass up. but with the new CBA likely to decrease player salaries, he'd rather sign something like, idk, maybe 6ish a year for 4 years. its more money over time and its guaranteed money. if he doesnt have a contract after a lockout happens, he is not getting paid for a long time, which will kill him financially.

i dont think it was the greatest decision on his part. but i understand because he wants guaranteed money should a lockout happen.

Hawkeye15
07-20-2010, 06:48 PM

I would need a link with him saying that to believe it. Jefferson f'ed up, plain and simple. The Spurs window is virtually closed, imo

Lloyd Christmas
07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
If he was really hooking up the Spurs by taking less money, that is a classy move. I guess we'll see how loyal he is when we here what the new contract numbers are.

_Supreme_
07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
What type of new contract is he looking at now?

He left $15M on the table for next year + what he would have made in the years after next. Taking his age and decreased on-court value into account, Imo he is not going to make nearly the combined amount of salary he would have made if he had not opted out.

He will probably have to play two or three seasons worth of salary to compensate for the lost $15M.

So yes, he appears to have made a very bad business decision, which is unfortunate because Richard Jefferson has been one of the classiest character players throughout his career. Whatever happens to him, I wish him the best.

Angel2Maverick
07-20-2010, 06:59 PM
my prediction was right yet again :cool:

This is a good move financially for Jefferson

kdspurman
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I would need a link with him saying that to believe it. Jefferson f'ed up, plain and simple. The Spurs window is virtually closed, imo

I realize I am a little biased but i dont think the spurs window is closed. Their window has been closed the past 5 years according to people. They're quietly rebuilding without having to have 1 or 2 horrible seasons which is impressive. Our future is already bright barring no injuries and chemistry works out. I think some other teams windows are opened much wider than ours, but ours is still open. This could potentially be the year we can play everyone. If Manu & TP arent hurt last year who knows how seeding ends up. This year they have more depth. Cant wait to see how it all pans out.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 07:10 PM

this

i totally agree man. i think many people are signing up to PSD and dont have a clue about basketball, or at least basketball knowledge is decreasing. i remember when i signed up for this site, many of the posters were more knowleddable than the posters are today.

now, back on topic. 15 million is EXTREMELY hard to pass up. but with the new CBA likely to decrease player salaries, he'd rather sign something like, idk, maybe 6ish a year for 4 years. its more money over time and its guaranteed money. if he doesnt have a contract after a lockout happens, he is not getting paid for a long time, which will kill him financially.

i dont think it was the greatest decision on his part. but i understand because he wants guaranteed money should a lockout happen.

These.

akesh99
07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
To me, it looked like he opted out to go somewhere else. He had a poor year in SA and was willing to give up the 15 mil to go elsewhere. When no other teams expressed interest, his only choice was to go back to SA for a long term deal.

IF in fact he did do this to help out SA with the luxury tax then this is an extremely classy move on his part. He really doesn't owe that franchise anything so to think that he is gonna take a big paycut to help them out seems farfetched to me. If thats the case however then props to him!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-20-2010, 07:23 PM
To me, it looked like he opted out to go somewhere else. He had a poor year in SA and was willing to give up the 15 mil to go elsewhere. When no other teams expressed interest, his only choice was to go back to SA for a long term deal.

IF in fact he did do this to help out SA with the luxury tax then this is an extremely classy move on his part. He really doesn't owe that franchise anything so to think that he is gonna take a big paycut to help them out seems farfetched to me. If thats the case however then props to him!

true - bolded part

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Thank you haha He thought he was gonna get a big pay check with all this money floating around then saw he couldnt get anything big so he chose to lose millions out of it, come on spurs fans and nets fans i know you love the guy

he couldve got 6 mill a year somewhere else next year haha he just found out he couldnt get the contract he was looking for so he settled with the spurs offer

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 07:27 PM
So the spurs fans: Do you think he wouldve stayed if he got a 8 mil or 9 mil a year offer from somewhere else? since hes so loyal according to yall

no

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 07:29 PM

This.

icon1914
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM

If the Spurs were trying to get some cap room to add an impact player then I could understand, but i'm not getting why he would feel the need to save the owner money that is owed to him... I'm sure the Spurs will never, out of the blue send him a check for 10 million dollars for no good reason.

Bad business move.

kdspurman
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
So the spurs fans: Do you think he wouldve stayed if he got a 8 mil or 9 mil a year offer from somewhere else? since hes so loyal according to yall

no

The fact that had had been working out with Coach Pop leads me to believe he was going to stay regardless. I dont think Pop would personally work out with him if he truly felt he was going to leave. Doesn't quit make sense...

http://www.hoopsnotes.com/2010/07/richard-jefferson-opted-out-of-contract/

TEXASTITAN
07-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Im sure he had his reason's but he didn't do **** with the spurs last year and there's no reason to believe this year is going to be any different. The spurs are at that point where they need to blow it up and start over. Jefferson isn't all that trust me and the guy's a moron for opting out since he's not worth 4-5 million a year anymore.

kdspurman
07-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Im sure he had his reason's but he didn't do **** with the spurs last year and there's no reason to believe this year is going to be any different. The spurs are at that point where they need to blow it up and start over. Jefferson isn't all that trust me and the guy's a moron for opting out since he's not worth 4-5 million a year anymore.

:facepalm: Seriously blow it up? Some people have no clue... Hill, Anderson, Gee, Blair, Splitter right now are the future of S.A. When you say blow it up do you mean get rid of guys like Tim & Manu? Or get rid of the young talent we have worked hard to get or develop? Cause neither of those scenarios make sense. How many teams do you know can start prepping for the future and still be a contender. Seriously something tells me that the front office of the spurs knows what they are doing. Call me crazy but I think they do.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 08:43 PM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_jefferson_opts_out_of_contract_97529699.html

At age 30, Jefferson is seeking long-term security before the NBA's salary structure changes next summer, possibly dramatically and probably to the detriment of players' pocketbooks.

“He wants to see if there's a long-term opportunity,” Eley said.

For the Spurs, Jefferson's surprise decision adds an unforeseen wrinkle to a summer that was supposed to be rather low-key.

The Spurs could be open to giving Jefferson a longer-term deal, starting at a more cap-friendly figure that gets their payroll under the tax line. Or, they could explore sign-and-trade opportunities to add a better-fitting piece.

Eley is RJ's agent.

wileyisTOFU
07-20-2010, 08:47 PM

He wanted a longer contract because of the lock out

zambo4president
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd put my money on noone else was legitimately interested and he just went back to the Spurs, not that he's some loyal, integrity based guy.

LA_Raiders
07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
WOW, He is a bad fit for SA, but oh well

LTBaByyy
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I'd put my money on noone else was legitimately interested and he just went back to the Spurs, not that he's some loyal, integrity based guy.

Thank you!!! lol isnt it funny that every nba fan in this thread besides the spurs and nets fans, feel the same way?

He is an upgrade than Gee at SF but were all just calling it like it is

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Why in the blue hell would he re-sign there after a terrible year. Its clear he doesn't fit their team

Drewlius
07-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Official:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5398896

SAN ANTONIO -- Richard Jefferson is returning to the San Antonio Spurs after opting out of his old contract that would have paid him $15 million next season.

The Spurs announced Wednesday they have re-signed the veteran swingman. Terms were not disclosed, though Jefferson was willing to part with his bloated deal that expired next summer for longer-term security.

Jefferson struggled with the Spurs after being traded from Milwaukee. The Spurs took on his hefty contract hoping the 30-year-old would bring a jolt to their championship core of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Jefferson's 12.3 scoring average was the lowest since his rookie year, though coach Gregg Popovich has stood by him.

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
he was looking to cash-out and ran out of luck

if that happened to me, i would say "i was looking to save the franchise some money" or "i wanted security"

beats telling the truth

IndyRealist
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Next year is likely a lockout. He's 30 now, and will be 31 when the lockout happens. He'll likely be 32 when he can sign a new contract. What kind of contract do people think he could get at 32 playing an extra year for the Spurs? He's taking a long term deal worth less per year but has more years, so he nets more money. I don't know why people would think this is a bad business move.

SupeUnagi
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Next year is likely a lockout. He's 30 now, and will be 31 when the lockout happens. He'll likely be 32 when he can sign a new contract. What kind of contract do people think he could get at 32 playing an extra year for the Spurs? He's taking a long term deal worth less per year but has more years, so he nets more money. I don't know why people would think this is a bad business move.

if that contract is anything like 8mil over 2 years (which i doubt the new cba will be this bad); add that to the 15mil

23mil over 3 years

he wont see that