PDA

View Full Version : Bynum pushes back surgery to July 28

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:01 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum has pushed back the date of surgery to correct a meniscus tear in his right knee to July 28, according to the team.

Bynum had originally tentatively planned the surgery for July 18.

The 7-footer averaged 8.6 points and 6.9 rebounds during the playoffs, never missing a game despite suffering the knee injury in Game 6 of the first round against the Oklahoma City Thunder. Bynum had the knee drained twice during the postseason and once more on June 22 after the Lakers' championship parade.

Bynum was a near All-Star last year, averaging 15 points and 8.3 rebounds per game, but has missed 96 games in the last three seasons because of injury.

The 22-year-old said he planned to work out with a Lakers trainer in Los Angeles and Vancouver after the surgery to rehab his knee and improve his core strength as a preventative measure against injuries in the future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5396037

Don't you guys think that he should have had it the week after game 7? I was fine with it at first, but now he's pushing it back even farther. I hope he's going to be in good shape for the start of the season. I want a healthy Bynum next post season, and I think it's important that he condition his body for the long grueling season. I've seen alot of speculation on Bynum's surgery so thought I'd post this for you guys.

8kobe24
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Here we go, let the AB bashing begin...lol.

truplayer199
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Exactly what i thought would happen. Next i'm expecting to hear that he will not be ready for training camp, next he wont be ready for the season opener, etc.

still1ballin
07-20-2010, 05:13 PM
He'll be fine

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Exactly what i thought would happen. Next i'm expecting to hear that he will not be ready for training camp, next he wont be ready for the season opener, etc.

I am a little worried about his happening. I don't see why he wouldn't just want it fixed. Why not feel better and keep in shape as soon as possible. Not like it's a big procedure.

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
As long as he can't pass a physical, (before his knee surgery), then he can't be traded right? LOL who knows his reasoning. It does not make sense to most of us though, does it?

KillaInstinct24
07-20-2010, 05:26 PM
bynum continues to irk my nerves, he should have got it done a week after the finals were over

kArSoN RyDaH
07-20-2010, 05:26 PM
What is he doing that is so important where he puts off surgery? is he still celebrating? the season is over. time to move on and get ready!

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Also, Lakers.com scribe Mike Trudell says Drew's strained Achilles, which cost him several regular season games down the stretch, has healed up nicely. Fingers and toes crossed, 2010-2011 marks the season where Bynum finally gets through a campaign of big minutes without a hitch.

Well that's good. Sounds like he should be ready for training camp, still no one knows why he would put off knee arthroscopic surgery.

KillaInstinct24
07-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Also, Lakers.com scribe Mike Trudell says Drew's strained Achilles, which cost him several regular season games down the stretch, has healed up nicely. Fingers and toes crossed, 2010-2011 marks the season where Bynum finally gets through a campaign of big minutes without a hitch.

Well that's good. Sounds like he should be ready for training camp, still no one knows why he would put off knee arthroscopic surgery.

dont hold your breath

Purple&Gold24
07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
He still has like three months im sure he'll be fine.

gr824
07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
What is all the hand wringing about ?

My understanding is that the medical advice to Bynum was to take some time off after the Finals to allow his knee to 'calm down' and let the swelling in the knee subside prior to surgery. Hence, the July 18th target date for the operation, exactly a month after the Finals ended ...

The date was always approximate, not chiseled in granite, and, as I pointed out in the other hand wringing thread about this topic, the date was on a Sunday, so this elective procedure was never going to happen precisely on that day in any case. Couple that with the fact that Bynum's doctor, Dr. David Altchek, is likely very busy and operates on the East Coast, it is not surprising to me that the procedure would 'slip' by about a week [ 8 'business' days, to be accurate ] ...

Furthermore, my understanding is that this particular problem is minor and recuperation from the surgery is expected to take just 3-4 weeks. Even if Bynum is a slow healer and takes twice that long, he will be ready for training camp in September and the preseason in October ...

So, I say "Relax" and "Cry when you're hurt ..."

Lakers211221
07-20-2010, 05:52 PM
What is all the hand wringing about ?

My understanding is that the medical advice to Bynum was to take some time off after the Finals to allow his knee to 'calm down' and let the swelling in the knee subside prior to surgery. Hence, the July 18th target date for the operation, exactly a month after the Finals ended ...

The date was always approximate, not chiseled in granite, and, as I pointed out in the other hand wringing thread about this topic, the date was on a Sunday, so this elective procedure was never going to happen precisely on that day in any case. Couple that with the fact that Bynum's doctor, Dr. David Altchek, is likely very busy and operates on the East Coast, it is not surprising to me that the procedure would 'slip' by about a week [ 8 'business' days, to be accurate ] ...

Furthermore, my understanding is that this particular problem is minor and recuperation from the surgery is expected to take just 3-4 weeks. Even if Bynum is a slow healer and takes twice that long, he will be ready for training camp in September and the preseason in October ...

So, I say "Relax" and "Cry when you're hurt ..."

That!

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:52 PM
We need shaq or kwame brown so our post season success doesn't depend on bynum. I think we all almost expect him to be hurt by next postseason. If shaq could leave his ego at the door, he would be every bit as good as bynum if he got hurt, and would probably prevent eachother from getting hurt, because they could pretty much split the minutes in half. I am terribly disappointed with our offseason moves to date. We still have fisher that is a liability (yes he is lol), and while steve blake is a tremendous upgrade from farmar, his skills won't fully benefit us, because he's coming off the bench anyways according to mitch kupchac. We haven't yet addressed our huge need for a backup center, and didn't address our huge need for a wing player that can play defense and knock down outside shots. Aquiring a legit backup center seems most important to me, because of the fact of how bynum has proven himself to be so injury prone and while we made it to finals last 3 postseasons, bynum has been injured or very limited for all 3. That's a scary statistic when we are going for Phil's 3 peat on his farewell season!!!

Lakers211221
07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
We need shaq or kwame brown so our post season success doesn't depend on bynum. I think we all almost expect him to be hurt by next postseason. If shaq could leave his ego at the door, he would be every bit as good as bynum if he got hurt, and would probably prevent eachother from getting hurt, because they could pretty much split the minutes in half. I am terribly disappointed with our offseason moves to date. We still have fisher that is a liability (yes he is lol), and while steve blake is a tremendous upgrade from farmar, his skills won't fully benefit us, because he's coming off the bench anyways according to mitch kupchac. We haven't yet addressed our huge need for a backup center, and didn't address our huge need for a wing player that can play defense and knock down outside shots. Aquiring a legit backup center seems most important to me, because of the fact of how bynum has proven himself to be so injury prone and while we made it to finals last 3 postseasons, bynum has been injured or very limited for all 3. That's a scary statistic when we are going for Phil's 3 peat on his farewell season!!!

Shaq and Kwame have both said that they want more money than we have...Shaq will get it somewhere else...maybe Kwame signs with us for vet min, but I think he will get more too

MissinShowtime
07-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Why all the hateration on AB? This guy is only 22 and he did what many vets won't do...play through injury. Yall act like we lost the last game of the season. We are the champs, and Drew did his part under trying circumstances.

The guy has shown his dedication to the team's success and all is a sudden he's the villain? Come on people....he has doctors in his corner. The Laker brass are on top of the situation. It makes more sense to allow the knee to calm after having been drained and and stressed for months.

If Drew is not ready by training camp, them slam him. Until then, I think he and the Laker brass deserve more credit and faith than a lot of yall are giving them.

nanablvd
07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Why should we worry when Drew, the medical staff, and coaching staff should be knowledgable enough to make informed decision?

LAKERRS24
07-20-2010, 07:23 PM
lol at this thread

you are making worries without need

Every sane fan knows andrew will take the surgery as scheduled cause there is NO reason he wouldnt and besize , you should check the calendar.... no season for more than 3 months lol

handle
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Andrew's proven he's a slow healer. If that surgery recovery time is 6 weeks for a typical player, add two weeks for Bynum. That's two months. If it takes him two months after surgery to get to the point where he can go all out in practice/training, then that gives him only about a month to get into shape AND find time to hopefully work on and improve parts of his game for next season. That's not a lot of time. Then hopefully there aren't any complications or setbacks. Even if there aren't, I'm worried about him pushing himself too hard in that month trying to get into game shape in time... that could be the precursor to an early season injury.

gr824
07-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Andrew's proven he's a slow healer. If that surgery recovery time is 6 weeks for a typical player, add two weeks for Bynum. That's two months. If it takes him two months after surgery to get to the point where he can go all out in practice/training, then that gives him only about a month to get into shape AND find time to hopefully work on and improve parts of his game for next season. That's not a lot of time. Then hopefully there aren't any complications or setbacks. Even if there aren't, I'm worried about him pushing himself too hard in that month trying to get into game shape in time... that could be the precursor to an early season injury.

But it is not, though ... The reports I have read indicate that this particular surgery is very routine and relatively minor, with a projected recovery time of 3-4 weeks, not 6 weeks or longer ...

Bynum is a slow healer historically. However, all his injuries/surgeries of late have been far more severe with more extensive rehab than what he is facing next week. If he gets the work done on the 28th, four weeks will be late August [ the 25th ]; if he is 'slow' in mending and it takes six weeks to heal, that is still only 9/8/2010, likely well in advance of training camp [ I do not have an exact date for the start of camp at the moment, but it typically commences later in September than the 8th ] ...

I do not see a problem here ... But if it turns out the surgery goes south and there is a big problem that results, then having had the surgery ten days earlier probably will have been of no benefit at all ... Stop worrying about this and enjoy the summer instead ...

Iceman_9
07-20-2010, 11:49 PM
i hope he will be back just in time for the training camp.

Hurricane H
07-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Who are you guys to say he should have done this or should have done that. Are you guys in the Lakers medical staff. Just shut up and let it be. They know what they are doing.

COBY KARL
07-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Why get knee surgery the week after the Finals ended?
Let the man celebrate for winning the chip again! He deserves it. It is summer after all