PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Trade For Bryant Has Been Misconstrued

MickeyMgl
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/jun/18/lakers-trade-for-bryant-has-been-misconstrued/sports-columnists-jdelong/

madiaz3
07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Good article. Sadly people will still perpetrate and lump this assumption that he whined from the beginning with such things as Kobe singlehandedly driving Shaq out of town.

king4day
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
That's a hell of a read. Good find.

Chronz
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
So his evidence is Kobes word? Would anyone even admit to that sort of "tampering". Theres no question the Hornets wanted the trade, and sure Kobe would have eventually had to play or sitout without pay. But that doesnt change the fact that West and Kobe conspired together and told teams persuaded teams ASIDE from CHA to not draft him. Not that I blame them, I dont see why anyone would. Its the way the league has been since the beginning, just about every great player was obtained in a shady way at some point or another by either side (Management/Player).

Good article. Sadly people will still perpetrate and lump this assumption that he whined from the beginning with such things as Kobe singlehandedly driving Shaq out of town.
Wrong article

da wood
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
chronz you talkin out the side of your neck do you really think that a 17 year old kid would think to conspire with a gm to trade trade up draft me get shaq in here and punk the other teams into not drafting me. come on now. kobe was to busy worried about going to the prom and was lucky to just get drafted.

hyb152
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
So his evidence is Kobes word? Would anyone even admit to that sort of "tampering". Theres no question the Hornets wanted the trade, and sure Kobe would have eventually had to play or sitout without pay. But that doesnt change the fact that West and Kobe conspired together and told teams persuaded teams ASIDE from CHA to not draft him. Not that I blame them, I dont see why anyone would. Its the way the league has been since the beginning, just about every great player was obtained in a shady way at some point or another by either side (Management/Player).

Wrong article

My question as well.

Hellcrooner
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
i love i6t, revsionism for the winners.

they are preparing to psss ihim the jordan torch of media ****** hpype so they ahve to deo some cleasning on the ghott s th from the closet.

lakers4sho
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
"The deal was actually done a day ahead of time, and it was Vlade for a player to be named," said Bill Branch, the Hornets' head scout at the time who still operates out of Charlotte as a scout for the Seattle-now-Oklahoma City Sonics. "If I remember right, they didn't even tell us who they wanted us to pick until about five minutes before the pick was made. So it was never a matter of us actually drafting Kobe."

Kobe's word??

8kobe24
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Kobe's word??

^ Thank you. I was getting ready to fire back but you pretty much summed it up. :clap:

truplayer199
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Chronz;14213865]So his evidence is Kobes word? Would anyone even admit to that sort of "tampering". Theres no question the Hornets wanted the trade, and sure Kobe would have eventually had to play or sitout without pay. But that doesnt change the fact that West and Kobe conspired together and told teams persuaded teams ASIDE from CHA to not draft him. Not that I blame them, I dont see why anyone would. Its the way the league has been since the beginning, just about every great player was obtained in a shady way at some point or another by either side (Management/Player).

Did you actually read the article? There is no way a GM and a coach have this much power over what takes place in a draft. How do you persuade 10 or so teams to not draft a player? Are GM's this easily manipulative? You must be a true conspiracy theorist. :(

Lakersho
07-20-2010, 04:46 PM
...just twist around the words to make sinister plots ,or read the story and understand how we got kobe . its your choice...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-20-2010, 04:46 PM

they are preparing to psss ihim the jordan torch of media ****** hpype so they ahve to deo some cleasning on the ghott s th from the closet.

I have no idea what you just said Crooner?:(

JNA17
07-20-2010, 04:55 PM

x2, his grammar makes me want to punch a baby :facepalm:

JNA17
07-20-2010, 04:55 PM
...just twist around the words to make sinister plots ,or read the story and understand how we got kobe . its your choice...

x2 again

Switch
07-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Wrong article

I suggest you re-read the article.

JNA17
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Reading comprehension ftw!

Penetra8r
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Branch recalls how difficult it was to gauge Bryant's talents against inferior high-school competition. This was an era before it became fashionable to draft high-school players, before Kwame Brown, Dwight Howard and LeBron James were No. 1 picks straight out of high school.

Branch believes that the Lakers' Jerry West was probably gambling on Bryant to a degree, because that was West's style. And if Bryant didn't pan out, the Lakers would still get O'Neal in the process.

Jerry West has the eye for talent!

JasonJohnHorn
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I think its more than Kobe's word, its Jerry West's word. The Lakers were trying to clear cap space to sign Shaq (a la NY and Miami clearing cap space to sign LBJ). The Lakers were giving up Vlade Divac, and All-Star calibre center who was the best passing big man in the league, for their first round draft pick, BUT West WANTED KOBE, so the trade hinged on whether or not Kobe was available at that point in the draft, hence the deal was tentatively made the day before. Other teams ahead in the draft werent interested in Vlade and/or his contract, or were more interested in who they could potentially draft, and the Hornets were one of the few teams interested in Vlade and not as interested in their pick.

I have never even heard that Kobe was acting like a diva demanding a trade, and if he had demanded a trade on draft day, and a highschool player, at that time, picked 14th or whatever he was picked get all diva on a team, unheard of. There is no was a player picked that low would have had any leverage to pull $#!T like that.

As for "what it" the trade hadnt happened, if the trade hadnt happened the Hornets likely wouldnt have picked Kobe. They werent that interested in him, Jerry West was, and they wanted a big man and there were any good ones available at that point in the draft, so they took a proven vet from a team that was looking to dump a contract and gave up what they thought to be an unpromising pick.

so anybody who says the Lakers drafted Kobe, well, they are kinda right. The Lakers didnt want to make the trade for the pick in case Kobe wasnt available, so they let the Hornets keep their pick and essentially told them who to pick. Its semantics really. West made the pick, he told the Hornets to grab him and then trade Vlade for him.

Who has been saying Kobe pulled a diva on them? There wouldnt have even been time to diva his way out of Charlotte, the trade happened like that day if I remember? No team is going to draft somebody they want, have them demand that they trade their rights that day and then get it done without trying to convince them to stay.

I wasnt even aware that these events had been misconstrewed like this? First I even heard of it.

LeGacy is Music
07-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Did you guys even read when it was published? JUNE 2008 yea I didn't even bother reading it once I saw that

jackdawson
07-20-2010, 05:13 PM

:confused::confused::confused:

Raidaz4Life
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Did you guys even read when it was published? JUNE 2008 yea I didn't even bother reading it once I saw that

So because it was written in June 2008 then it must not be true? I don't see where you're going with this...

akagiredsuns
07-20-2010, 05:21 PM

WTF does this say? :confused: Seriously. I understand people will misspell a word or two but at least make it so that we understand what is being said. My goodness. Can anyone please translate this catastrophe? Something about passing the Jordan torch to Kobe & cleaning ghosts from a closet? :facepalm:

defender4m
07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
good article

_KB24_
07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
This had been posted several times. Nothing new. The Hornets were in desperate search for a center and the Lakers needed to unload cap-space and make room for Shaq.

madiaz3
07-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Wrong article

No. I'm saying the idea that Kobe whined from the beginning that he refused to play is in line with the idea of Kobe running Shaq out of town. I read the article and I read that the scout is the main source, not Kobe's word?

ARMIN12NBA
07-20-2010, 06:52 PM
A lot of people who stick with logic and facts have known this. I am more surprised by the fact that irresponsible and shoddy journalism led by agenda has construed the story for such a long time so that the fuel to hate Bryant burned even larger.

djlamer
07-20-2010, 07:44 PM
who the hell cares, you gonna hate on an 18 year old kid? c'mon really? its not like he had instant impact the day he came to LA, he didn't even start his first year.

fyi, jordan was drafted 3rd...sometimes thats just how the dice roll btches

Hellcrooner
07-20-2010, 08:47 PM
WTF does this say? :confused: Seriously. I understand people will misspell a word or two but at least make it so that we understand what is being said. My goodness. Can anyone please translate this catastrophe? Something about passing the Jordan torch to Kobe & cleaning ghosts from a closet? :facepalm:

seems you got it.

MickeyMgl
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
I have never even heard that Kobe was acting like a diva demanding a trade, and if he had demanded a trade on draft day, and a highschool player, at that time, picked 14th or whatever he was picked get all diva on a team, unheard of. There is no was a player picked that low would have had any leverage to pull $#!T like that.

As for "what it" the trade hadnt happened, if the trade hadnt happened the Hornets likely wouldnt have picked Kobe. They werent that interested in him, Jerry West was, and they wanted a big man and there were any good ones available at that point in the draft, so they took a proven vet from a team that was looking to dump a contract and gave up what they thought to be an unpromising pick.

so anybody who says the Lakers drafted Kobe, well, they are kinda right. The Lakers didnt want to make the trade for the pick in case Kobe wasnt available, so they let the Hornets keep their pick and essentially told them who to pick. Its semantics really. West made the pick, he told the Hornets to grab him and then trade Vlade for him.

Who has been saying Kobe pulled a diva on them? There wouldnt have even been time to diva his way out of Charlotte, the trade happened like that day if I remember? No team is going to draft somebody they want, have them demand that they trade their rights that day and then get it done without trying to convince them to stay.

I wasnt even aware that these events had been misconstrewed like this? First I even heard of it.

It's something that gets said now and then, and somebody toward the end of a recently closed thread ("Is It Just Me.... ") was spreading this misinformation again.

MickeyMgl
07-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Do you think the circumstances have changed since then?

Nirvanaskurdt
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM

You drinking drugs? :eyebrow:

Hell of a trade for the Lakers.. had that not gone down.. Shaq might have been in LA till 08 and Kobe would have been a Knick or a 76er probably :speechless:

still1ballin
07-20-2010, 09:56 PM

ROFL

You gotta love crooner, thats how he types on a normal basis

JNA17
07-20-2010, 09:58 PM
ROFL

You gotta love crooner, thats how he types on a normal basis

why can't he just type his first language (spanish) and we will easily just use google translator, it would be much easier that way. :p

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
People always give Kobe so much **** when its not even called for

BaustinSali08
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm not a Laker fan, I'm not a Kobe fan, but what Kobe Bryant does on the floor game in and game out I can't help but respect his game.

Big Moves
07-23-2010, 04:35 AM

Wrong article

Well you might not know this, but the Hornet GM actually was very pleased with this trade. So much so, that he told the media he had just pulled off the greatest trade of all time. A year later Jerry West called the Hornets GM and left a message on his answering machine saying "you're right this was the greatest trade of all time". Heard the story from the late Chick Hearn.

Supa
07-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Fact is, Bryant worked out for Jerry West before the draft, and West liked what he saw.

New Jersey was considering drafting him at 8th, but backed off after Bryant's agent "warned", or "threaten", whichever word you want to use. The Nets ended up picking Jerry Kittles. Other teams between 8th and 13th have their preferred players other than Bryant.

I think it's fine Kobe wanted to voiced his "strong preference" to play for the Lakers. Players have rights to voice their like and dislike, teams do it as well - announcing their preferences before the draft or secretly work out deals with other teams. It's all part of the drafting game and equation.

---

Raven19
07-23-2010, 08:44 AM
i have no idea what you just said crooner?:(

lol

Chronz
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Hes trying to say the media is starting to like Kobe again, as a result they are revising his career, by the end of his career it will be the girl who raped him. Get it?

Did you actually read the article? There is no way a GM and a coach have this much power over what takes place in a draft. How do you persuade 10 or so teams to not draft a player? Are GM's this easily manipulative? You must be a true conspiracy theorist. :(
LOL cmon guy this is too easy, you dont persuade 10 teams, you persuade the ones who have interest in you.

I suggest you re-read the article.
No need, Ive heard all I needed from Jerry West.

Reading comprehension ftw!

Thank you, I dont understand whats so hard for you people to understand. The whole Kobes word as evidence thing was obviously correlative to hKOBES WORDS.... GASP

I never said the Hornets didnt want to make this deal, I was saying the only way they could is if Kobe threatened those OTHER teams. Him citing Kobe wanting to play in CHA doesnt change this FACT.

Well you might not know this, but the Hornet GM actually was very pleased with this trade. So much so, that he told the media he had just pulled off the greatest trade of all time. A year later Jerry West called the Hornets GM and left a message on his answering machine saying "you're right this was the greatest trade of all time". Heard the story from the late Chick Hearn.
Nope knew that long before Hearn spoke about it. It was a trade that saved the franchise.

I think its more than Kobe's word, its Jerry West's word.
West worked Kobe out against Cooper, Kobe blew him to bits and the 2 began conspiring. If Kobe had a shot at some max dollars he wasnt going to stop him, but if he slid (which he would considering nobody drafted HS kids) that he should temper his workouts and "advise" other teams not to daft him.

Teams dont have tolisten to Kobe, but would you waste your pick on a kid who seems to lack character?

The Dviac trade saved the franchise for a few more years, had they drafted Kobe they wouldve moved alot sooner.

You do realize players spend time with the teams that are planning to draft them before actually getting drafted right?

I heard about it in an old portfolio on West. It was so long ago Ive forgotten the sources but the reason I never questioned its validity is because it came straight from the horses mouth. West Ill try to dig up the old paperback

A lot of people who stick with logic and facts have known this. I am more surprised by the fact that irresponsible and shoddy journalism led by agenda has construed the story for such a long time so that the fuel to hate Bryant burned even larger.
Thats not surprising. So tell me, what facts and logic do I lack?

Kobe's word??
Yes, read the ENTIRE ARTICLE

Fact is, Bryant worked out for Jerry West before the draft, and West liked what he saw.

New Jersey was considering drafting him at 8th, but backed off after Bryant's agent "warned", or "threaten", whichever word you want to use. The Nets ended up picking Jerry Kittles. Other teams between 8th and 13th have their preferred players other than Bryant.

I think it's fine Kobe wanted to voiced his "strong preference" to play for the Lakers. Players have rights to voice their like and dislike, teams do it as well - announcing their preferences before the draft or secretly work out deals with other teams. It's all part of the drafting game and equation.

---
BINGO

Im not judging Kobe, but to pretend this stuff didnt happen is laughable. WHO CARES?

chronz you talkin out the side of your neck do you really think that a 17 year old kid would think to conspire with a gm to trade trade up draft me get shaq in here and punk the other teams into not drafting me. come on now. kobe was to busy worried about going to the prom and was lucky to just get drafted.
Yes read up on NBA history and youll find similar examples.

cooldavid3169
07-23-2010, 01:09 PM
http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/03/former_hornets_gm_bob_bass_liv.html
"Bryant canceled a workout with the Sacramento Kings, who had the No. 14 pick in the first round in 1996 and declined to work out for the Hornets. His agent, Arn Tellem, also told the Hornets, according to Bass, that Bryant did not want to play in a small market such as Charlotte."

Chronz
07-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Ahh yes I forgot about the Kings, was Richmond still on the team?