PDA

View Full Version : Why exactly did Jason Kidd not go to the Spurs in 2004?

JordansBulls
07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't remember if it was the beginning of 2003 or if it was the beginning of 2004, but there was a rumor that Kidd was going to join Duncan in san Antonio even though the Spurs had Parker at the time. What happened to this and why did Kidd stay in NJ?

Remember the Nets were barely even winning 50 games those years. From 2002-2005 they never won more than 52 games.

masalex1205
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
the basketball gods said no

IAmKira
07-20-2010, 01:01 PM
cuz LBW didnt happen yet.

GeekInThePink
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
cuz LBW didnt happen yet.

:facepalm:

S-Dot
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Because Tony parker just beat him in 2003 in the NBA Finals. And I think NJ offered more money.

kblo247
07-20-2010, 01:49 PM
They signed Zo and were supposedly going to re-sign Martin. Kidd didn't know Zo would call it quits so soon in Jersey, that Martin would get shown the door, and that his knee would give out on him. At the time it was the smart thing to do especially since the Spurs were losing Jackson, Robinson, Claxton, and most of their support arounf Timmy besides a young Tony and Manu.

MacFitz92
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Because he wanted to beat Duncan, not play with him.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 01:59 PM

the competive days :clap:

arkanian215
07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
They signed Zo and were supposedly going to re-sign Martin. Kidd didn't know Zo would call it quits so soon in Jersey, that Martin would get shown the door, and that his knee would give out on him. At the time it was the smart thing to do especially since the Spurs were losing Jackson, Robinson, Claxton, and most of their support arounf Timmy besides a young Tony and Manu.

This. The Nets were thought to be a good center away from being legit title contenders. A hobbled Zo is supposed to be better than Jason Collins.

Jaji
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Because it was Tony Parker's team. He was there first.

hgtiger32
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
cuz he was older, idk...

JordansBulls
07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Because it was Tony Parker's team. He was there first.

:confused:

He wasn't even a star. It was Duncan's team as he was the proven winner.

Chronz
07-20-2010, 03:45 PM
He loves his money

bctgg27
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I actually talked to Lamond Murray about this. During that time, Lamond also had an offer from the Spurs. If he went to the Spurs Kidd would have went. Lamond's wife and Kidd's wife were good friends and Kidd's wife would only leave the Jersey/New York area if Lamond's wife convinced her. But in the end, Lamond took more money to go to the Cavs, and Kidd ended up staying in Jersey.

Grand Master B
07-20-2010, 04:04 PM

When this went down I was pissed! I have always thought, even while it was happening, that this was a stupid decision. It was obvious that the Spurs were going to be better. In fact, I always thought this has to be one of the worst moves as a player in hindsight because he could have been a champion for sure.

JordansBulls
07-20-2010, 11:31 PM
He loves his money

How much more was NJ offerring?

mynameismo
07-21-2010, 01:24 AM

:clap:

JJ_JKidd
07-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I don't remember if it was the beginning of 2003 or if it was the beginning of 2004, but there was a rumor that Kidd was going to join Duncan in san Antonio even though the Spurs had Parker at the time. What happened to this and why did Kidd stay in NJ?

Remember the Nets were barely even winning 50 games those years. From 2002-2005 they never won more than 52 games.

He was. Pop, Timmy and Kidd all had lunch. Now, Kidd the primary reason was her wife wanted to stay in New York area where she could do her modeling stuff. Another reason is because of the money and the fact that he, if I may quote him, "still had some unfinished business in New Jersey." He wanted to make that team win.

During that year he re-signed in NJ, and during that lone FINALS series, that's when TP became a star. Hard for me to say this but he owned Kidd during that series.

Because Tony parker just beat him in 2003 in the NBA Finals. And I think NJ offered more money.

Agreed on the TP thing

That's the problem in NJ during that time. After getting spanked by Shaq and TD in the Finals, NJ Mgmt did not acquire an ELITE BIG. During that Finals their BIG MAN was who MacCullough? Cmon. Things went DOWNWARDS from there and the biggest acquisition after that was Carter when they already had Richard Jefferson as their wing player.

Partly.

JJ_JKidd
07-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Following the 2003 finals, Kidd became a free agent and was urgently wanted by the San Antonio Spurs. However, Jason Kidd signed with the Nets, stating that he had some unfinished business. The Nets also signed free agent Alonzo Mourning. But he sat out due to kidney ailment.

http://sportales.com/sports/the-dreams-over-for-the-new-jersey-nets/#ixzz0uMBO5qz5

JJ_JKidd
07-21-2010, 02:35 AM
In 2003 Jason Kidd was a free agent and the recently crowned champions, the San Antonio Spurs, had cap space. They also had a young promising PG, Tony Parker, whom they knew they’d probably lose down the road, but hey, Kidd was the best PG in the league. So the Spurs offered him a max contract. Gregg Popovic and Tim Duncan wined and dined Kidd. The Spurs even managed to get a TV job for Kidd’s wife, Joumana. They did everything in their power to try and lure Kidd to San Antonio.

Her wife was a BIG BIG factor here. They ended up splitting eventually.

But according to the CBA rules, the Nets could offer more money than the Spurs: 103 million compared to “just” 90 million. After spending some time thinking about it, Kidd took the Nets offer. Maybe it was the money. Maybe he wanted to be the man instead of being second fiddle to Tim Duncan. Maybe he really thought the Nets would have a chance after consecutive Finals appearances. But it was probably about the money.

Money and wifey.

Now, instead of having won 2 or more titles with the Spurs, Kidd finds himself asking for trades and having his requests ignored. And he’s probably dreaming every night about what could have been. Every time he watches Vince take a 30 feet fall-away jumper he must be thinking about Tim Duncan taking a baby hook or that 6 feet jump shot off the glass that he never seems to miss. Was it idiotic from him to refuse a contract with the Spurs ? Well, let’s just put it this way: the only other player I can name right now that refused a contract with the Spurs was Stephen Jackson.

LOL true @ Vince Carter. I used to watch a majority of Nets game on League Pass and that's what Carter used to give them.

JordansBulls
07-21-2010, 09:07 AM
http://sportales.com/sports/the-dreams-over-for-the-new-jersey-nets/#ixzz0uMBO5qz5

Nice find.

JJ_JKidd
07-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Nice find.

Great links F'ed up. :facepalm:

JordansBulls
07-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Great links F'ed up. :facepalm:

xbrackattackx
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
His women screwed him. Kidd would have looked sharp on the Spurs.

NBA-GMaster
07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Because Kidd doesnt fit with Duncan.. Duncan is not a high flyer type..
Plus Nets and Spurs are rivals in nba finals..

defender4m
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
At the time the nets were a piece or two away from going back to the finals.

Hawkeye15
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
is was more money, and everyone should remember his hot, crazy *** wife who kind of ran the show. I remember an episode of MTV cribs, and it showed Kidd and her, and their house, and he just followed around like a puppy dog and did not talk unless spoken to. Her closet was bigger than my house, and he had a cubbie hole for his tennis shoes.

JordansBulls
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Because Kidd doesnt fit with Duncan.. Duncan is not a high flyer type..
Plus Nets and Spurs are rivals in nba finals..

Love the sig man.

RVN671
07-22-2010, 01:18 PM

YUP! And they won 2 more chip with tony at the helm after that. I don't blame them for not trading him.

Klivlend
07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
His women screwed him. Kidd would have looked sharp on the Spurs.

You think so? I agree he would have been a good fit for their system. But, I just can't picture him in a Spurs uniform. Just looks weird in my head.

JordansBulls
07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
You think so? I agree he would have been a good fit for their system. But, I just can't picture him in a Spurs uniform. Just looks weird in my head.

Why??

Jaji
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM

He wasn't even a star. It was Duncan's team as he was the proven winner.

:facepalm:

Its called sarcasm.

Sandman
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I actually talked to Lamond Murray about this. During that time, Lamond also had an offer from the Spurs. If he went to the Spurs Kidd would have went. Lamond's wife and Kidd's wife were good friends and Kidd's wife would only leave the Jersey/New York area if Lamond's wife convinced her. But in the end, Lamond took more money to go to the Cavs, and Kidd ended up staying in Jersey.

I don't believe this.

We know who wears the pants.

Wade>You
07-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Jason Kidd suffers from "wanting to be the man" syndrome.

Sooner or later, he will be interviewing David Kahn on NBATV and will look back at what an epic mistake he made when Kahn begins comparing Chris Quinn to the best triple-double PG he's seen since JJ Barea.

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Jersey had been winning. Back-to-back finals and then the conference finals. So I think that was part of it. I think after Parker's finals performance the Spurs saw it as less important and werent as agressive because they knew they had a great young point guard, and I believe also the the Nets, being the team Kidd played for, were able to offer more money than the Spurs could. But I'm sure there are other reasons to.

JayW_1023
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
The 2007 title would've never happened so it was all for the best :P