PDA

View Full Version : Amar'e: I would have stayed

Highlight
07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
LAS VEGAS -- On Friday, forward Amar'e Stoudemire took out a full-page ad in the Arizona Republic to thank Phoenix Suns fans for his eight seasons there.

On Saturday, while it wasn't in the ad, Stoudemire said the Suns could have kept him from bolting to the New York Knicks as a free agent had they offered him a fully guaranteed five-year maximum contract.

"Definitely. If they had done that, I would have stayed,'' Stoudemire said in an interview Saturday with FanHouse at the NBA Summer League. "They only gave me three years guaranteed.''

So Stoudemire ended up agreeing to a five-year, $100 million contract with the Knicks before the deal turned into a sign-and-trade in which Phoenix was able to get a trade exception.

The Suns wanted to guarantee Stoudemire's final two seasons only if he reached certain incentives regarding minutes played. Stoudemire didn't want to dwell on not getting the offer he wanted from the Suns.

"I'm pretty over it,'' he said. "I'm now with the New York Knicks, and looking forward to making a playoff push.''

Stoudemire said Suns owner Robert Sarver made what Sarver believed was a "smart decision on his part'' and said he "brought in some pretty good players to help those guys get better" after Stoudemire had departed. Phoenix's moves have included acquiring forwards Hedo Turkoglu and Josh Childress via trade and signing forward Hakim Warrick as a free agent.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/17/stoudemire-would-have-stayed-had-suns-offered-guaranteed-5-yea/

Do you think Phoenix should have given him 5 years guaranteed? Or do you think they made the right choice by letting him go?

Now that he has left, they now have 3 new players in Hedo, Childress, and Warrick. How much better or worse will the Suns be?

Niro
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
i dont think amare is worth a max contract, but the suns should have kept him.
they are over the cap anyway right?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-20-2010, 12:44 PM
If Steve Nash ain't worth Max then neither is Amare

ManRam
07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I think he probably would have also stayed if he knew in hindsight that no one else major would follow him to NYK (mainly LeBron).

I think Phoenix is content though. They had a good off-season, and now don't have a ton of money tied up into just one player.

masalex1205
07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Na, smart move on PHX's part. Anybody who doesn't play D and has serious injury issues isn't worth the max

cali72888
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/17/stoudemire-would-have-stayed-had-suns-offered-guaranteed-5-yea/

Do you think Phoenix should have given him 5 years guaranteed? Or do you think they made the right choice by letting him go?

Now that he has left, they now have 3 new players in Hedo, Childress, and Warrick. How much better or worse will the Suns be?

Amare is not worth a max contract.

Childress alone playes way better D then Amare.

The additions of Hedo, Childress and Warrick outweigh the loss of Amare.

Plus Amare is not going to be as good on the Nicks without Nash feeding him the ball.

J-Relo
07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Amare+Barbosa>Warrick+Hedo+Childress

slightly

BronBron06
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
So are there any news Phoenix Suns fans if Louis Amu will resign with your team?

0nekhmer
ahah he's just sad nobody else went to NY

runforrestrunx9
Amare didnt deserve a max contract but suns will suck this year and Amare will struggle w/out Nash... i think this a loss for both teams

Carey
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I think Phoenix did the right thing, 100 million wasnt gonna make him play defense or rebound at the level they need him to for them to get past the Lakers.

Still.I.Rise
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM

:clap:

king4day
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
I read Amar'e was consulted on bringing Hedo to Phoenix.
So if you swap Barbosa and change for Hedo, the team is undeniably better. Probably means no Childress though.
They'd be competing for the top seed in the west for sure.

Gambeezy
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I think Phoenix did the right thing, 100 million wasnt gonna make him play defense or rebound at the level they need him to for them to get past the Lakers.

This. Nash isn't getting any younger and he's played a large role in Amare's stats. If they couldn't make a play-off push with last year's team, they weren't going to do it again by tying themselves up with a max contract in Amare.

More-Than-Most
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Amare didnt deserve a max contract but suns will suck this year and Amare will struggle w/out Nash... i think this a loss for both teams

I highly doubt that... In fact I still believe they will be a top 4 in the western conference... With another year under the belt of the Bench they will be even better... Turk in my opinion will be a very good pickup... People say he is lazy but noone is lazy when they play with Steve Nash... He brings out the best in everybody. With the addition of childress and Lopez having a year under his belt they will have something they didn't have before... Size and defense. This suns team will surprise a lot of people and Nash will just make someone else look like an all star.

Nugget Tony
07-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Nah he's cool with it..He's making mad cash...and he knows Melo and possibly CP3 will make up the next Big 3 in NY.....

Carey
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I highly doubt that... In fact I still believe they will be a top 4 in the western conference... With another year under the belt of the Bench they will be even better... Turk in my opinion will be a very good pickup... People say he is lazy but noone is lazy when they play with Steve Nash... He brings out the best in everybody. With the addition of childress and Lopez having a year under his belt they will have something they didn't have before... Size and defense. This suns team will surprise a lot of people and Nash will just make someone else look like an all star.

Agreed, the Suns will still be very good, i see them finishing somewhere between 4 and 8.

king4day
07-20-2010, 01:36 PM
So are there any news Phoenix Suns fans if Louis Amu will resign with your team?

Unofficially he won't be back. The team is stacked at the 4. Their rookie Lawal would be the best choice for the minutes Lou would get (which wouldn't be a whole lot this year).

Mplsman
07-20-2010, 01:37 PM

That's what it is.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Obviously he doesn't give a **** about winning or loyalty.

For Amare it is Money>Loyalty>Winning.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Nah he's cool with it..He's making mad cash...and he knows Melo and possibly CP3 will make up the next Big 3 in NY.....

Can't wait to see if that happens.

Michael Jordan and Larry Bird won't be so subtle in the way they diss them the 2nd time around. :laugh2:

Tony_Starks
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Smart move by Phoenix, he's not a max guy and for damn sure not a 5 year gaurantee guy. What they offered was just about right considering his history and his defensive inability.

I think his game will suffer a bit without Nash setting the table for him. As far as Phoenix they may actually improve because they should be able to get the full ability out of Turk and Warrick with Nash putting them in position to score.

8kobe24
07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Amar'e is not a max contract player, no way can he lead a team. Not worth 20 million per year IMO. PHX made a good decision to let him go.

koLohe2133
07-20-2010, 02:11 PM
amare is not even worth the $100 mill he got from the knicks...

no defense and no rebounding.....

yet he is a $100 million man for the knicks?

i would HATE myself if i was a ny knicks fan. at least yall got the yankees

The Final Boss
07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
The only ball player in the NBA worth a Max deal is Kobe Bryant.

Laker Legend42
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Once again a player taking money over rings. I'm not mad at him but this is normally the case. It's not like he was about to win one with the suns but he was surrounded by better players. Dirk is another one that one thhats playing for the money. Dallas is not a contender either.

Slimsim
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't understand this at all Amare help his team get to the finals and had a pretty good season last year But now Josh Childress a guy who hasn't been in the NBA for 3 years and Hedo who has done absolutely nothing in Toronto ? And now for some reason PHX are better ? We shall see.

The Raven
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
He's not worth a max contract at all but, im not sure it was the right move for PHX to not re-sign him cos without him, they are a worse team

LA_Raiders
It was time to go... They didnt make it to the finals when they had a great team...

Time to move on...

Sixerlover
He took the money. When everyone was predicting 2010 Free Agency I said Amare would be the main player out there looking for whoever has the biggest check for him. It's nothing shocking

Slimsim
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM

For Amare it is Money>Loyalty>Winning.

If that's the case why is it that everyone so pissed off with LBJ ? At least Amare can be the man in NY he could have taken less money and went to Miami and people would hate him if he goes to NY he's a money Chaser No matter what any of these Athletes do people would hate.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 02:46 PM
If that's the case why is it that everyone so pissed off with LBJ ? At least Amare can be the man in NY he could have taken less money and went to Miami and people would hate him if he goes to NY he's a money Chaser No matter what any of these Athletes do people would hate.

Not at all.

I can respect Dirk, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce (as much as I hate him).

They all took less money (maybe Ray didn't but Paul and Dirk definitely did) to stay with their teams and each of their teams are not the favorites to be in the finals but they resigned to COMPETE, not ring chase via superteaming.

And if Amare resigned with the Suns I could respect him for being loyal and competing for a finals spot while he could.

Laker Legend42
07-20-2010, 02:52 PM

For Amare it is Money>Loyalty>Winning.Loyalty can also hurt you. Loyalty is cool when you have an organIsation thats commited to putting a winner on the floor year after year.

Laker Legend42
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Not at all.

They all took less money (maybe Ray didn't but Paul and Dirk definitely did) to stay with their teams and each of their teams are not the favorites to be in the finals but they resigned to COMPETE, not ring chase via superteaming.

And if Amare resigned with the Suns I could respect him for being loyal and competing for a finals spot while he could.I think it was time for Dirk to move on. I really don't think he has much of a chance to win in Dallas.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I think it was time for Dirk to move on. I really don't think he has much of a chance to win in Dallas.

He's a loyal competitor. He deserves some :clap: especially with everybody in the superteam state of mind :facepalm:

topdog
07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Time for the Suns to move on. Nash and Hill only have a couple years left and then what? You're stuck with Amare and a bunch of kids. They weren't winning a championship with him, so they are better off trying something new and making less of an investment in one guy.

mets77
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Amare is a class act, GO AMARE :)

Slimsim
07-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Not at all.

And if Amare resigned with the Suns I could respect him for being loyal and competing for a finals spot while he could.

Those guys Opt out their Contracts because they were afraid of a lockout. Amare said he would have stayed in PHX if he got a 5 year deal if Rudy Gay and Joe Johnson Can get Max money why cant Amare ?

ldc62
07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Good move by PHX. Alot of people are doubting the Suns this year, but they've done well without him before.

Ethix11
07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Will Amares #'s go down in NY?

NYY NYJ NYK
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Will Amares #'s go down in NY?

They will probably go up since he is the only "superstar" they have

da wood
07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
hey i think its a good move for amare hell you were right if rudy and glass joe can get the max amare is way better than them cats. and in his market i see cp3 and melo bouncing to go join amare.

ddhulett
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Amare is not worth a max contract.

Childress alone playes way better D then Amare.

The additions of Hedo, Childress and Warrick outweigh the loss of Amare.

Plus Amare is not going to be as good on the Nicks without Nash feeding him the ball.

Hedo, Cheldress and Warrick will never outweigh the loss of Amare!

You don't find 23pts 9Reb 55% shooting off the street Amare is a freak!

All you needed is a True Center to Defend.

You get what you pay for (NASH) and since Nash the Suns have gone cheap if you would have kept Joe Johnson you have a championship but you didn't want to pay him.

ddhulett
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Good move by PHX. Alot of people are doubting the Suns this year, but they've done well without him before.

The Suns don't have one Superstar besides Nash (Age) how do you expect to win?

ldc62
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
The Suns don't have one Superstar besides Nash (Age) how do you expect to win?

I expect them to do better than expected. Not win.

THE MTL
07-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Not at all.

You think Paul Pierce is worth 15 million per year at this stage in his career? He still got 4yrs 61million. And Dirk still got 20 million per year (more than Lebron)....you really think he was worth 25 million the he could have gotten?

And the Celtics were the original SUPERTEAM (KG, Allen, Pierce) and now add Rondo that team has 3/4 bonfide stars.

disk 8
07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
good bigs are hard to find they should have paid him

JPHX
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
good bigs are hard to find they should have paid him

without insurance, the risk was too high. plus $100m contracts go to superstars. putting up 15 and 4 in a playoff game doesnt make you a superstar.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
You think Paul Pierce is worth 15 million per year at this stage in his career? He still got 4yrs 61million. And Dirk still got 20 million per year (more than Lebron)....you really think he was worth 25 million the he could have gotten?

And the Celtics were the original SUPERTEAM (KG, Allen, Pierce) and now add Rondo that team has 3/4 bonfide stars.

Some other team would've overpaid Pierce if he left, but he stayed....

djlamer
07-20-2010, 06:18 PM
wouldn't have paid him that much at all. he would get raped by the centers. his defense is horrendous and he can't stop any realy PF or C as evidenced by the stomping pau and bynum gave him. hes got solid offense and poor defense, which would make him half a superstar in my mind and thus should get a little about the mid level...i'd say about 17-18

Hawkeye15
07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Amare is not worth that money. David Lee was basically the same player. NY will not like this deal down the line. With no Nash, I want to see how Amare can get look after look off the pick and roll with a PG who is not good in the pick and roll in Felton.

swaddell13
07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
yeah i think amare is gonna regret leaving steve nash... oh well i think the suns will do just fine next season and i really cant wait to watch em play. our bench is 100 times better than last year and they will beat any other bench in the league(they are better than alot of the starting 5 for many teams too)

BAMF
07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
As i recall the 03-04 season when STAT was without Nash, he averaged 20, 9 but who knows.

Storch
07-20-2010, 09:18 PM
The suns made the right decision, Amare is not worth the max. It's time to rebuild.

DeyAce
07-20-2010, 09:34 PM
He's money hurngry, why else would anyone want to go to the knicks???

netsgiantsyanks
07-20-2010, 09:53 PM

as long as steve nash is still on the team, that team is not going to suck but your right about the second part

Oakley's Fist
07-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Yeah, I think 3 years was just right for Amare. They were smart to let him go imo.

mynameismo
07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
It was the right thing to do.

With a healthy Nash, I think they'll still make it to the Playoffs.

NYK|NYY
07-21-2010, 01:36 AM
He's money hurngry, why else would anyone want to go to the knicks???

Hey now!

sargon21
07-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Amare+Barbosa>Warrick+Hedo+Childress

slightly

no way, Amare+Barbosa>>>>>>>>Warrick+Hedo+Childress

how can you say otherwise??, warrick blows, barbosa>>>childress and amare>>>>>>>>>>>>hedo

ddhulett
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
yeah i think amare is gonna regret leaving steve nash... oh well i think the suns will do just fine next season and i really cant wait to watch em play. our bench is 100 times better than last year and they will beat any other bench in the league(they are better than alot of the starting 5 for many teams too)

Haha...You added Hedo and Childress

Childress best year he scored 13pts his last year in the states 11pts a game.

Hedo best year 19pts and last year 11pts.

Amare best year 25pts 9reb last year 23pts and he shoots 55%.

Ask Dallas and see how much a great bench wins! It takes great players

You had 54wins last year this year maybe 40!

That's what being CHEAP get's you in sports

ddhulett
07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
without insurance, the risk was too high. plus $100m contracts go to superstars. putting up 15 and 4 in a playoff game doesnt make you a superstar.

At least he got you in the playoffs

Suns wont be in the playoffs because you got cheap!

PHX2daDEATH
07-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I see Amare having two good years in New York where he gets 26-28 a game.. They will force feed him the ball..something that the Suns never did..

and to say Amare got us to the playoffs last year on his own? B A L O G N E.. The Suns went to the conference finals without him before and had Boris Diaw as the starting PF.. The west might be tougher now then it was then but still you put guys around Nash and he's going to make them better. Goran and Lopez havent even touched the ceiling yet.. Dudley will get better... Childress is going to make the bench a lot more tougher defensively.. Grant Hill is not going to have to play alot of minutes and neither is Nash.. Either Hakim Warrick is going to fill the void just enough or Gani Lawal will come in and take his minutes.. and this guy can rebound and block shots better then Amare ever could

oh when has Dallas ever had a great bench??

ballpd05
07-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Gani Lawal will make them forget about Amare.

I won't say Amare wasn't a force because he is one of the most feared finishers in the league, right up there with Lebron and Wade, but its good Phoenix got rid of that money obligation.

Honestly from a basketball no one won. The Knicks need some guards, and the Suns are hoping Steve Nash can pull out that magic he used on Boris Diaw that year Amare was hurt.

king4day
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Haha...You added Hedo and Childress

Childress best year he scored 13pts his last year in the states 11pts a game.

Hedo best year 19pts and last year 11pts.

Amare best year 25pts 9reb last year 23pts and he shoots 55%.

Ask Dallas and see how much a great bench wins! It takes great players

You had 54wins last year this year maybe 40!

That's what being CHEAP get's you in sports

That great bench helped get us to the WCF last year. This year it's drastically improved.
Warrick > Lou
Childress > Barbosa

And 40 wins? Come on. All you see is Amar'e leaving.
Last time we didn't have Amar'e we won 54 games and had no bench beyond Barbosa and Tim Thomas midway through the year.

uws
07-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I dont think the suns will suck, but i dont think they will be as good as with amare

they spent a good amount of cash keeping frye and bringnig in those other guys, and i dont think those guys make up for the loss of amare, it just gives them depth... but i dont think it brings them to a place where they can compete for a championship... which is the inevitable goal, infact i think the team regressed a little and backed up those chances

unless childress got realllll nice while in europe haha

KnickFanSince91
07-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I think Nash gets a lil too much credit and Amar'e doesn't get enough for his stats. Nash is going to miss STAT just as much...unless u think Turk can finish those passes in the same way. :laugh:

Da Knicks
07-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Does that mean change of sig? :clap: Amare wants to be a leader and he is still young at 27. The knicks are his team and phoenix was not getting any younger so yeah who wouldnt go to the knicks if they were offering more than anybody and had a young team who can make a playoff push.

Lloyd Christmas
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
The Suns will definately be worse without Amare, but I completely understand why they wouldn't risk giving him 5 years guaranteed. New York had to take a chance on him. I think everybody did the right thing in this situation.

Hawkeye15
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I think the Suns will win 5-10 less games this year.

Slimsim
07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Didn't pierce and Dirk get overpaid ? Those guys are in their 30s What about Joe Johnson or even Rudy gay. Hedo there's a reason why Tornoto is happy to get rid of him. Childress seriously ? Amare Block shots he can easily dominate in the post and we are surrounding him With a very solid and young supporting cast. And next year we would have the money to get another max player Something other teams can't do.

Slimsim
07-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Does that mean change of sig? :clap: Amare wants to be a leader and he is still young at 27. The knicks are his team and phoenix was not getting any younger so yeah who wouldnt go to the knicks if they were offering more than anybody and had a young team who can make a playoff push.

The sig is still cool.

Blazers#1Fan
07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Amare gets more points in New york under mike d'antoni new york has better record because the east is weaker and gets the 6-8 seed suns fighting for the 7-8 seed

Amare>Lopez
Gallinari>Frye
Chandler=Hedo
Azubuike<Richardson
Felton<Nash

Blazers#1Fan
07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Amare gets more points in New york under mike d'antoni new york has better record because the east is weaker and gets the 6-8 seed suns fighting for the 7-8 seed

Amare>Lopez
Gallinari>Frye
Chandler=Hedo
Azubuike<Richardson
Felton<Nash

ddhulett
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I see Amare having two good years in New York where he gets 26-28 a game.. They will force feed him the ball..something that the Suns never did..

and to say Amare got us to the playoffs last year on his own? B A L O G N E.. The Suns went to the conference finals without him before and had Boris Diaw as the starting PF.. The west might be tougher now then it was then but still you put guys around Nash and he's going to make them better. Goran and Lopez havent even touched the ceiling yet.. Dudley will get better... Childress is going to make the bench a lot more tougher defensively.. Grant Hill is not going to have to play alot of minutes and neither is Nash.. Either Hakim Warrick is going to fill the void just enough or Gani Lawal will come in and take his minutes.. and this guy can rebound and block shots better then Amare ever could

oh when has Dallas ever had a great bench??

Dallas has had a great bench for a long time

Last year 5th in the league 35.5Pts Bench

Phoenix 10th in the League 33Pts

You still did not give one great player outside of Steve Nash who is not getting any younger.

Amare Didn't the Suns to the playoffs on his own but you don't get rid of
Big guys who can score down low in their prime it's just stupid!!!

You do whatever it takes to resign him and build around him

PHX2daDEATH
07-22-2010, 02:25 AM

aside from Nash, Hill and Richardson the Suns dont have anybody over 30.. (this was before Turk was aquired) Your're two wins away from the finals.. how much more a playoff push would you want? Amare wants to be a leader but its not in his DNA to do so.. believe me, Nash and Hill were the type of players that would of allowed Amare to become a leader and he dropped the ball.. There was one instance in the playoffs where Amare talked to the team and it was almost laughable according to some reports.

Raph12
07-22-2010, 02:31 AM
BS I called this when D'Antoni was signed as NY's coach, Stat loved him and probably figured either Lebron or Wade would join him and now is hoping Parker and Melo join.

PHX2daDEATH
07-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Dallas has had a great bench for a long time

Last year 5th in the league 35.5Pts Bench
Phoenix 10th in the League 33Pts

You still did not give one great player outside of Steve Nash who is not getting any younger.

Amare Didn't the Suns to the playoffs on his own but you don't get rid of
Big guys who can score down low in their prime it's just stupid!!!

You do whatever it takes to resign him and build around him

i really find that hard to believe.. when Dallas was running out Terry, Barea Najera and Dampier, i'll have to look that up.. This is what i figure for the Suns.. having two ball handlers in Nash and Turk are going to benefit guys like Hakim and Lopez and Im hoping Gani too. If Hakim Warrick comes in and averages 15-18 a game and Amare goes for 21-23 a game in New York, then you start saying Amare was just a puddle of Steve Nash's greatness..

JPHX
07-22-2010, 03:11 AM
At least he got you in the playoffs

Suns wont be in the playoffs because you got cheap!

i aint paying **** homie. and like said before, it would have hurt us in the long run. guaranteed money to a guy with bad, uninsurable knees is too risky.

dodie53
07-22-2010, 03:54 AM
amare is not a max player

What?
07-22-2010, 04:38 AM
Worse without him but they made a good move letting him go they weren't contenders with or without him Nash is getting old Amar'e is a injury risk there window closed a few years ago they realised this and now probably just want to win enough games for fans to show up