PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes to Toronto is now unlikely: "Major Miscalculation" of team funds

Highlight
07-20-2010, 08:14 AM
The potential sign-and-trade deal that would send Matt Barnes to Toronto is now "dead," according to a league source.
"The sign and trade (scenario) is dead," the source was quoted as saying, as neither Toronto, or the Magic have the money available to make the deal. It sounds like there was a serious "miscalculation" in the talks, and while it's not certain that he won't be joining the Raptors, it does sound unlikely to happen. Which is unfortunate, since Barnes already announced the deal on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

I think Matt Barnes to LA is still quite slim since he was offered 9 million for 2 years. We don't have that kind of money, so it looks like he might start up talks with the Cavs again or go to some other team that can offer more than the 1.8 we have. The only way we can possibly get him is if we offered him a multi year deal (including a player options in a few of the years) with our portion of the MLE, but even that would be a stretch. Since we don't have much, we have to make it appealing as possible if we really want him.

Burleson81
07-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Interesting development. I guess someone in accounting is fired.

Highlight
07-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Interesting development. I guess someone in accounting is fired.

No kidding... haha :facepalm:

Cimos21
07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Twitter is the end all be all....Barnes already announced it...now he has to play for Toronto, regardless of what they pay him. Shouldnt have made that announcement over Twitter....

DengelBerry
07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
lol i laughed so hard that Lebron Barnes did his whole twitter announcement "The Tweet", now he looks like an idiot.

Burleson81
07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Twitter is the end all be all....Barnes already announced it...now he has to play for Toronto, regardless of what they pay him. Shouldnt have made that announcement over Twitter....

Yes, once you've posted on twitter, it's a written contract. He is now obligated to play for Toronto for whatever they can afford. :whistle:

Iron24th
07-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Whatever happen, I think Toronto has still more money to offer to him,so even if he takes less from the raptors than the first offer,it could be more than any others team's offer.

Cimos21
07-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Rings are priceless.

jonesyLakeShow
07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Just so everyone knows toronto can only sign him in a sign and trade from Orlando which orlando can only offer him 2 million in the first year for barnes in the three year deal...only the first year has to be guaranteed.This is a chance for the lakers to again say hey 1.76 million on a championship contender would you like it?

Dirty4
07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Whatever happen, I think Toronto has still more money to offer to him,so even if he takes less from the raptors than the first offer,it could be more than any others team's offer.

Not really. They gave most of their MLE to Linas Kleiza.

socalpkrbkr
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Ha ha wow, someone is fired! This is pretty funny to me. Here's a good example of why using Twitter sucks.

lakers4sho
07-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh noes, my Twitterz got haX0rzz

xmoney328
07-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Money is not a problem for toronto...because they got Rid of hedo contract and on top of that they got an trade exception in the bosh trade...so I think the deal will go through...and we may have to go to plan E who ever that is.

Lakeshow86
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
well, that could be good news for lakers but its petty diheartening that someone is offering him that much money. Cant blame him for taking that offer. If someone is going to offer him 4.5 million per year than I do see us getting him for 1.8 million

Dirty4
07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Money is not a problem for toronto...because they got Rid of hedo contract and on top of that they got an trade exception in the bosh trade...so I think the deal will go through...and we may have to go to plan E who ever that is.

If money wasn't a problem they would have just signed him outright. There would have been no need to compensate ORL via S&T. Think about it.

nanablvd
07-20-2010, 12:24 PM
He wont go to the Lakers as far as I know about him. He wants starter's minutes more than anything, or at least a legitimate chance of competing for the starting spot, something that any of the interested contenders couldnt offer.

The Raven
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Odds are he's not coming here. They offered him some 10 mil to play so it seems he's going for money here which we have very little of. Most likely he'll go to another team again that can offer him much more then us.

gr824
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I refuse to study the "Matt Barnes Circumstance" in detail -- cos he is a goon ... a talented goon, but a goon nonetheless. That being said, however, the situation as I understand it is as follows:

Orlando does not have Bird rights to Barnes ... Nor do the Magic have cap space [ they are over the Cap ] ... Also, Duhon took $3.45 million of their MLE, apparently leaving them with only about $2.32 million for signing purposes ...

Toronto is also over the Cap and has exhausted their MLE on Kleiza [ the amount they have left would not even cover the vet's minimum for Barnes, not that they would use it instead of a vet's minimum contract to ink him anyway ], so the Raptors cannot sign him directly. Toronto has a trade exception, which can be used for acquiring Barnes from Orlando via S & T, but Orlando has to sign him first [ that is what a S & T is, after all ] and the most Orlando can give him for two years is $4.885 million [ MLE balance + an 8% raise in Year Two ], a far cry from the $9-$10 million he was evidently erroneously 'offered' by Toronto ...

If the Lakers really want Barnes, they could get back in the hunt. The Lakers cannot offer Barnes as much as Toronto for two years, yet they can offer a longer deal of three, four, even five years, which the Raptors may not want to 'match' and the total value of such an 'interminable' pact would somewhat dwarf the 'new' two-year Toronto pact and, at five years, essentially equal the original Raptor 'generosity'. I doubt the Lakers do have [ read that: "I hope the Lakers do not have" ] that much interest in Barnes -- I cannot see him being a factor in two years, let alone five -- but if Los Angeles sees him as truly important to the Three Peat 'process', the FO still has a shot [ one I hope they will refrain from taking ] ...

kblo247
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I guess Pincus about was right about Blake's salary not being 4 flat a year and on Kobe/LA wanting and waiting on Barnes

Kobe, Lakers pressed hard to land Matt Barnes

The Lakers came hard after Matt Barnes, who averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds for the Magic last season. Barnes got into a celebrated row with Kobe Bryant during a late regular-season game and then accused Bryant afterward of throwing numerous elbows and said he would not back down from challenging Bryant in the future.

That assertion may have impressed Bryant who sources say, pressed hard for the Lakers to get Barnes just as he had pushed them to sign former nemesis Raja Bell.

Bell opted to return to the Utah Jazz with a three-year, $10 million deal last week.

Meanwhile, the Lakers had about $2.3 million of their mid-level exception remaining after signing guard Steve Blake to a four-year, $16 million free agent deal earlier this month.

Update: Sources close to the situation believe the sign and trade proposal between the Raptors and Magic may have fallen through. More updates will follow as they become available.

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/

Maybe we aren't that far out of the running now that the bottom fell out of their deal.

Dirty4
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Hmmm, That's the first I've heard of Blake's deal being less than $4M for the first year. Interesting...

kblo247
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Eric Pincus said his deal wasn't $4mil per year from the first day (it would be 3.6mil with raises each year), while ESPN disagreed with him. It looks like David Aldridge at least has the same figures and sources.

gr824
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I guess Pincus about was right about Blake's salary not being 4 flat a year and on Kobe/LA wanting and waiting on Barnes

Maybe we aren't that far out of the running now that the bottom fell out of their deal.

Eric Pincus said his deal wasn't $4mil per year from the first day (it would be 3.6mil with raises each year), while ESPN disagreed with him. It looks like David Aldridge at least has the same figures and sources.

Pincus does get things right on occasion [ :) ], but I do not believe he was right about the Blake deal. I have three sources I use regularly for NBA salaries and ALL three, including Pincus' employer, show the Blake pact to be a contract for four years, each at $4 million per year:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9168

Kupchak and Blake know what is right; everybody else is probably just guessing ...

kblo247
07-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Pincus does get things right on occasion [ :) ], but I do not believe he was right about the Blake deal. I have three sources I use regularly for NBA salaries and ALL three, including Pincus' employer, show the Blake pact to be a contract for four years, each at $4 million per year:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9168

Kupchak and Blake know what is right; everybody else is probably just guessing ...

You got to kill my hope that we have more cash to offer another guy don't you :o

xmoney328
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
If money wasn't a problem they would have just signed him outright. There would have been no need to compensate ORL via S&T. Think about it.

What I was trying to say is that orl doesn't have to be in the deal...tor can find any team like the nets,clips, or okc..etc that have cap room. And give them a draft pick for Mat barnes.

kblo247
07-20-2010, 01:53 PM
What I was trying to say is that orl doesn't have to be in the deal...tor can find any team like the nets,clips, or okc..etc that have cap room. And give them a draft pick for Mat barnes.

No they can't, unless they made some illegal under the table deal for that team to keep him till December and trade him to them then.

gr824
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
You got to kill my hope that we have more cash to offer another guy don't you :o

Sorry :hide: ... But Aldridge's numbers just do not make sense -- it's like he is simply trying to give Laker fans some false hope by fudging figures to get them close to what the Raptors are evidently stuck with offering [ as opposed to what they reportedly promised to Barnes originally ] ...

If Blake's deal is backloaded [ which I believe, for now at least, it is NOT ], Year One must be a minimum of $3.57 million in order for the total deal to legally get within spitting distance of $16 million over four seasons. That would leave the Lakers with less than $2.2 million of the MLE left, NOT the $2.3 million MLE balance that Aldridge is citing. It is an admittedly small difference, but it is a difference that would not exist at all in his presentation if he knew what he was talking about and had actually worked the numbers. Hence, I have the feeling he is just making things up to garner readers or he has some level of misguided hope himself, for whatever reason ...

Lakerfrk
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM

No, they can't

Toronto is not under the salary cap.. if they were, you would be correct.. but since they arent, they have to deal away within 125% + $100,000 of the contract they are receiving... I think? Gr824?

Woddsicle
07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Rings are priceless.

Hahahahaha well said sir!

gr824
07-20-2010, 02:00 PM

For a S & T to happen, it has to be Orlando doing the signing/trading ...

Your grasp of the CBA and its restrictions is faint ...

gr824
07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
No, they can't

Toronto is not under the salary cap.. if they were, you would be correct.. but since they arent, they have to deal away within 125% + $100,000 of the contract they are receiving... I think? Gr824?

No ... He would still be wrong. Only the team Barnes is leaving and the team he is going to can legally execute a S & T transaction ...

If Barnes signs with anyone else [ a team that has Cap space to give him what $$$s he wants, for instance ], then he cannot be legally traded by them to Toronto until 12/15/2010 ...

xmoney328
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
No ... He would still be wrong. Only the team Barnes is leaving and the team he is going to can legally execute a S & T transaction ...

If Barnes signs with anyone else [ a team that has Cap space to give him what $$$s he wants, for instance ], then he cannot be legally traded by them to Toronto until 12/15/2010 ...

Ok you just made clear basically only Orlando can s&t him...but if any other team sign him and want to trade him they will have to wait until 12/15/2010 to trade him.

My knowledge of the CBA is getting better:facepalm:

show34
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Man like i said earlier he needs to be in cleveland for real he can bring the crowds back out to support the cavs him booby verajo mo williams jamison parker moon and they also got hixson still you cant tell me they wont make the playoffs go to cleveland matt barnes bring ai with you

KillaInstinct24
07-20-2010, 05:38 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

I think Matt Barnes to LA is still quite slim since he was offered 9 million for 2 years. We don't have that kind of money, so it looks like he might start up talks with the Cavs again or go to some other team that can offer more than the 1.8 we have. The only way we can possibly get him is if we offered him a multi year deal (including a player options in a few of the years) with our portion of the MLE, but even that would be a stretch. Since we don't have much, we have to make it appealing as possible if we really want him.

they must not have used ESPN's trade machine, LMAO

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:57 PM
FREAKING HILARIOUS!!! LMFAO!!! Matt James or Lebron Barnes? LOL

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I like the nickname "Matt James" because has same syllables as Matt Barnes. Freaking hilarious!!! Laugh of the day for me!!!

lakersfan01
07-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Reports said that Raptors were upset with Chris Bosh's diva twitter updates. Now they want Matt "James" Barnes that is turning out to be quite a twitter diva himself haha. NBA offseason has been pretty entertaining. Just wish Lakers have done more but maybe they will make a move that will surprise us all.

showtime24
07-20-2010, 07:47 PM
lol

robdizzle3
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Reports said that Raptors were upset with Chris Bosh's diva twitter updates. Now they want Matt "James" Barnes that is turning out to be quite a twitter diva himself haha. NBA offseason has been pretty entertaining. Just wish Lakers have done more but maybe they will make a move that will surprise us all.

I couldnt agree more big dog. We have holes that need to be fixed and I hope its somebody off the radar that will no doubt bring us a ring.

teckmunny
07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Y does every body on here want matt barnes? He ****en sucks! Has no daam offensive game and is a mediocre player! We need to add some youth to this team seriously! Add that kid from harvard! Screw those washed up players!

enserio
07-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I like that the little suspense he tried to post on Twitter blew up in his face like a cartoon cigarette.

kid24
07-21-2010, 12:04 AM
lol who cares

limeytech
07-21-2010, 02:20 AM
lol who cares

Obviously you do or else you wouldn't have commented

iggypop123
07-21-2010, 02:43 AM
unless the cavs make a compelling offer its gotta be the lakers. boston and miami can only offer the minimum as opposed to the lakers 1.8 million.

Lakerfrk
07-21-2010, 04:00 AM
Obviously you do or else you wouldn't have commented

BOOM! Roasted