PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA the only sport where the city matters?

RaysFan
07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
In the NFL, NHL, and MLB the city you play in isn't a huge deal. Heck, even the Yankees had to pay above market-value for guys like CC Sabathia. Why is it that the athletes in the NBA care so much about what city they play in? Why is it always about "marketing their brand"? Is it just the type of people that play int he NBA? I don't get it.

FakeBlackMamba
07-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Never though about that. No idea. Maybe all the NBA players are Divas who are obsessed with themselves...who knows

defender4m
07-20-2010, 12:04 AM
good question

nycclipse110
07-20-2010, 12:07 AM
or maybe they're real human beings that consider the city where the live in important...

DCB/LAL
07-20-2010, 12:11 AM
It doesn't it was an excuse for Lebron to leave Cleveland and cover up for the real reason he left....because he couldn't lead his team.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
or maybe they're real human beings that consider the city where the live in important...

Lol!! I don't know how you wouldn't care about what city you are going to live in.. It would have to factor in for me, I cannot lie. How is Miami or L.A. not more appealing than Cleveland or Minnesota or something? Would you rather play in Detroit or Orlando?

SupeUnagi
07-20-2010, 12:16 AM
seems like its easier to get endorsements in the nba
freakishly athletic people who arent wearing helmets or masks

CALIABQLKRS
07-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Cuz theres no loyalty in the NBA.. not from the players, owners, hell even the fans.. half of the heat fans were cavs fans about 3 weeks ago.. lol. Kobe and TD are the last great stars who will probably stay with the team that drafted them..

iFYouSeekAmy
07-20-2010, 12:17 AM
It doesn't it was an excuse for Lebron to leave Cleveland and cover up for the real reason he left....because he couldn't lead his team.

He meant in general; like there are talks about Kings moving to Vegas because it's a small market; also talks about Thunder should move to a city where it has a bigger market, etc. Why is it that the NBA is the only sport, among other sports, where the city along with its market size matter?

----

not so sure.

KG2TB
07-20-2010, 12:19 AM
In football the most important thing is getting paid as much and as soon as possible because careers aren't as long as basketball and baseball. Much higher risk of injury with non guaranteed contracts.

In baseball I think it matters but also some teams are able to pay substantially more money due to payroll. I think if that were the case in the NBA, location wouldn't matter as much. Also baseball players are on the road for often and spend less time in the city they play in.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Can't there just be one thread where you haters that are obsessed with LeBron don't have to take a wack little cheap shot at him at any chance you get? You guys are truly pathetic.

*Silver&Black*
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
The reason is easy. NBA is more of a player market than the other leagues. Baseball and Football are team sports. NBA, you can win 60+ games with one "star".

It also helps that they don't wear helmets or hats.:D So their face is matched with what team they are on, hence wanting the biggest markets to have their face.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:21 AM
In football the most important thing is getting paid as much and as soon as possible because careers aren't as long as basketball and baseball. Much higher risk of injury with non guaranteed contracts.

In baseball I think it matters but also some teams are able to pay substantially more money due to payroll. I think if that were the case in the NBA, location wouldn't matter as much. Also baseball players are on the road for often and spend less time in the city they play in.

^^Two AWESOME points.. This!^^

BronBron06
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Cuz theres no loyalty in the NBA.. not from the players, owners, hell even the fans.. half of the heat fans were cavs fans about 3 weeks ago.. lol. Kobe and TD are the last great stars who will probably stay with the team that drafted them..

OH GOD

CAN I KILL MYSELF NOW

Kobe... oh god.... SERIOUSLY WHAT?!

For every one person thinking Kobe was drafted by Lakers \\ ONE REAL LAKER FAN DIES

Jaji
07-20-2010, 12:24 AM

Your hate is just ridiculous. Its like you literally go out of your way. Its really a sign of insecurity. You make yourself look childish with every post doing that.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Kobe was drafted by the Hornets....

Jaji
07-20-2010, 12:26 AM
In the NFL, NHL, and MLB the city you play in isn't a huge deal. Heck, even the Yankees had to pay above market-value for guys like CC Sabathia. Why is it that the athletes in the NBA care so much about what city they play in? Why is it always about "marketing their brand"? Is it just the type of people that play int he NBA? I don't get it.

IDK what you're talking about. It does matter in other sports. That's why the Buffalo Bills can never attract any big name free agents other than TO who no one else wanted apparently.

DCB/LAL
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Your hate is just ridiculous. Its like you literally go out of your way. Its really a sign of insecurity. You make yourself look childish with every post doing that.

Hate? Lebron could of gone to LA and it still would of been the same story. No hate here just stating the truth.

Enemey
07-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Kobe was drafted by the Hornets....

He was traded to the Lakers on draft day and played for them his entire career.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Hate? Lebron could of gone to LA and it still would of been the same story. No hate here just stating the truth.

Don't just blatantly lie... You're answer to why NBA players care about what city they go to was no, it was just an excuse for LeBron... :facepalm:

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Oh really?

Of course I know this.... Dirk has never played for another team... :speechless:

Ovratd1up

Nah that's definitely not it.

DCB/LAL
Don't just blatantly lie... You're answer to why NBA players care about what city they go to was no, it was just an excuse for LeBron... :facepalm:

And thats truth right there. :clap:

SupeUnagi
07-20-2010, 12:34 AM
apparently the answer to this thread is lebron james

*Silver&Black*
07-20-2010, 12:41 AM

Do you consider Eli Manning loyal to a team too? Heck and Eli didn't throw a fit in the middle of his career wanting to be traded either.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Do you consider Eli Manning loyal to a team too? Heck and Eli didn't throw a fit in the middle of his career wanting to be traded either.

He sure threw a little hissy fit on draft day though! :laugh:

*Silver&Black*
07-20-2010, 12:49 AM
He sure threw a little hissy fit on draft day though! :laugh:

That's my point.:D I'm not taking up for Eli. I'm saying if he finds Eli's crybaby ways on draft day bad for his image and not loyal to a team, then what is Kobe?

Jaji
07-20-2010, 12:51 AM
He meant in general; like there are talks about Kings moving to Vegas because it's a small market; also talks about Thunder should move to a city where it has a bigger market, etc. Why is it that the NBA is the only sport, among other sports, where the city along with its market size matter?

----

not so sure.

You'll have to excuse him. All he knows about basketball is "eff LeBron James." No seriously, that's ALL he knows. Well, that and Kobe's shoe size ;).

Jaji
07-20-2010, 12:54 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just have LeBron on your mind, huh? CONSTANTLY! If you keep posting about LeBron your BF Kobe is gonna start to get jealous.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 12:55 AM

Just have LeBron on your mind, huh? CONSTANTLY! :pity:

LOL well just look at his first post.. Pure insanity... And off topic on top of that...

Oh and I know S&B, I was just diving on a chance to make fun of that clown! :laugh:

defender4m
07-20-2010, 12:56 AM
OH GOD

CAN I KILL MYSELF NOW

For every one person thinking Kobe was drafted by Lakers \\ ONE REAL LAKER FAN DIES

nice sig lol

*Silver&Black*
07-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Oh and I know S&B, I was just diving on a chance to make fun of that clown! :laugh:

I wouldn't know what it's like to be a Cowboy, Eagles, or Redskins fan having to watch him every year playing my team. Unless he gets sacked.:D

sunnydayin'zona
07-20-2010, 01:16 AM

kobe was technically drafted by the hornets, but mneh traded draft day i believe. kobe bitc hed mid career to be traded, too. he's not loyal. gtfo

but...dwayne wade stayed in one place. kevin durant hasnt gone anywhere. nor has deron williams or dwight howard or dirk nowitzki, steve nash was drafted by the suns and got traded but came back, carmelo anthony and chris paul havent gone anywhere yet, paul pierce, brandon roy, yao ming.

i just read all the posts above, sorry to be redundant.

*Silver&Black*
07-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Kobe and TD are the last great stars who will probably stay with the team that drafted them..

& Josh Smith. Oh, I'm sorry. You're talking about stars. I thought you were talking about "SUPERSTARS"!:D

asandhu23
07-20-2010, 01:22 AM

there are real fans in NBA like me. I have supported Golden State Warriors since 1998

also Kobe was NOT drafted by the Lakers. He ran towards the limelight in LA

DCB/LAL
07-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Just have LeBron on your mind, huh? CONSTANTLY! If you keep posting about LeBron your BF Kobe is gonna start to get jealous.

How can I not post about Lebron every thread the last few weeks have been pretty much about him.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-20-2010, 01:39 AM

Lol you call yourself a Lakers fan?

Kobe wasn't drafted by LA.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-20-2010, 01:45 AM

Kobe is a quitter too. He wanted to leave because he couldn't lead his team too. Hell I can even go further and say that Kobe only won when he was with an arguable top 15-20 player around him.

Kobe quit on his team. And don't even pull that BS that he didn't. It's just his way of getting out didn't work out. But that doesn't hide the fact that he quit on his team. But since he's your golden child, it's all forgiven.

But on behalf of Lebron, I apologize he offends you so much. :rolleyes:

Raps08-09 Champ
07-20-2010, 01:48 AM
How can I not post about Lebron every thread the last few weeks have been pretty much about him.

But your so embarrassing.

You pull that BS that Lebron gets so much ****ing attention but you were the one who brought up Lebron and each post is constantly bashing Lebron.

1st of all, you bash Lebron because SOMEONE ELSE started a thread and you get mad about it. And it wasn't even directly towards Lebron. It was a general question. You act like you hate it that Lebron gets so much attention when you brought the man up.

And 2nd, you are contributing to all that attention Lebron gets that hate so much.

mets77
07-20-2010, 01:50 AM
think about the Yankees again

ItsTheLastAce
07-20-2010, 01:52 AM
It's cuz basketball isn't as much as a team sport as other sports. Like someone posted earlier the nba is more of a player league, where most people just focus on an individual. Hence Air Jordan, how often do you see the bobcats play on national TV? Or the Grizzlies, Raptors, Nets ect ect. Marketing is a very big part of todays basketball, you could say its almost everything off of the court, and these guys want to be exposed on national television to get their name and brand out.

CALIABQLKRS
07-20-2010, 02:03 AM
OH GOD

CAN I KILL MYSELF NOW

Draft rights traded to the Los Angels Lakers in July 1996. Has been playing there ever since. I got this from nba.com. are u dumb enough to think that jerry west the greatest gm ever did not talk to charlotte or any other team and make a deal before the draft?? He knew kobe only wanted to play for him.. Which the lakers did and they traded vlade for a hs player.. and seriously everytime u post something, u make me appreciate my life more and more. Lol cuz i couldve been a dumb *** like u..
Technically the hornets drafted him, but he was a laker before the draft began..

bears88
07-20-2010, 02:04 AM
correct me if am wrong, but it be the type of market the city has to offer, I don't know I might be wrong there might be other factors that could explain why city matters in NBA.

Korman12
07-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Draft rights traded to the Los Angels Lakers in July 1996. Has been playing there ever since. I got this from nba.com. are u dumb enough to think that jerry west the greatest gm ever did not talk to charlotte or any other team and make a deal before the draft?? He knew kobe only wanted to play for him.. Which the lakers did and they traded vlade for a hs player.. and seriously everytime u post something, u make me appreciate my life more and more. Lol cuz i couldve been a dumb *** like u..
Technically the hornets drafted him, but he was a laker before the draft began..

You seem to be willfully ignoring the part where he refused to play for Charlotte.

FarOutIos
07-20-2010, 02:14 AM
OK. For those of you who don't understand economics...

When a player plays for a big market team, he gets a larger fan base. This fan base is influenced by his image/marketability.

Now why is this more of a factor in the NBA... well, simple.

In football, the players wear helmets. Not too many people know what most NFL stars look like. And the players are farther away from the fans. There is more of familiarity with fans and NBA players than NFL or MLB players.

The MLB players also suffer from the lesser popularity of viewing baseball games. We watch less MLB games in general then NBA.

Here's an example... I am not a Minnesota fan... but I can pretty much recognize about half the Timberwolves roster... and they suck. As for the Vikings roster... I only recognize Favre, AP and maybe 2 or 3 others on the team. And they were a great team.

With the Lakers, Celtics, etc., those numbers go up. With the Lions, way down.

Korman12
07-20-2010, 02:17 AM
As for the original question, it happens in football too, although seemingly not as often. Basketball, like someone said above, is just more of an individual sport than the NFL, MLB or NHL.

Unfortunately, it seems to be one of the problems hard-wired into NBA culture. Blame it, partially, on the lack of parity in the game today. We don't feel like admitting it, but we don't know how long it will be before a small-market team in a less populous city (Milwaukee, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Salt Lake, etc.) will win a title. But we sure believe that more-recognized teams will win one (or more) before them.

CALIABQLKRS
07-20-2010, 02:21 AM
kobe was technically drafted by the hornets, but mneh traded draft day i believe. kobe bitc hed mid career to be traded, too. he's not loyal. gtfo

but...dwayne wade stayed in one place. kevin durant hasnt gone anywhere. nor has deron williams or dwight howard or dirk nowitzki, steve nash was drafted by the suns and got traded but came back, carmelo anthony and chris paul havent gone anywhere yet, paul pierce, brandon roy, yao ming.

All those players except for dirk ,yao and pierce are young and who knows whats gnna happen. Cp3 and melo are gone. Nash doesnt count cuz he left.

Kobe got his way. He bluffed and got gasol. He has been to 3 finals since.. wouldnt u say it worked out?? Every star *****es except for maybe TD and nash. I dont see why TD isnt mentioned more in the best ever category? He might not be the sexy pic, but ive never seen a better PF ever. Malone was good but duncan has 4 rings. TD is the true professional in the league..

Enemey
07-20-2010, 02:28 AM

This.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Good lord, this isn't a LeBron thread. Quit ****ing bashing him and stay on topic for once!

THINKBLUE15
07-20-2010, 03:28 AM

When a player plays for a big market team, he gets a larger fan base. This fan base is influenced by his image/marketability.

In football, the players wear helmets. Not too many people know what most NFL stars look like. And the players are farther away from the fans. There is more of familiarity with fans and NBA players than NFL or MLB players.

The MLB players also suffer from the lesser popularity of viewing baseball games. We watch less MLB games in general then NBA.

Here's an example... I am not a Minnesota fan... but I can pretty much recognize about half the Timberwolves roster... and they suck. As for the Vikings roster... I only recognize Favre, AP and maybe 2 or 3 others on the team. And they were a great team.

Wrong. Baseball teams play 162 games a year. Almost twice as many as the NBA, so more baseball games are watched than NBA games. Simple math.

THE MTL
07-20-2010, 03:37 AM

No, the Yankees SIMPLY outbid the rest of the league to bring in star players and they do it every year.

anub!s
07-20-2010, 04:10 AM
off topic

but, has to be addressed

Kobe worked out in LA against coop and schooled him
Hornets traded the draft rights to the lakers
Lakers did not tell hornets who to pick until the very end
As far as Kobe requesting to be traded, it's hearsay

ps. Dirk was NOT picked by the mavs. He was picked by the Bucks and traded for "tractor" traylor. Of course it was agreed upon before the draft.

/off topic

Apophis
07-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Good lord, this isn't a LeBron thread. Quit ****ing bashing him and stay on topic for once!

:clap::clap::clap:

This is the main reason so many good threads have been closed... I could start a thread about how Yankees just lost Andy Pettitte for 5 weeks and it will become a , I guess Lebron was not really a Yankees Fan..Thats why he went to Miami.. he will probably root for the Miami Marlins now... or some other nonsense..

Now to get back on topic.... as others have posted... Basketball is more about the individual as far as marketing goes...and that individual would be the face of the team...

RaysFan
07-20-2010, 07:27 AM

I don't really buy it. MLB, NHL, and NFL players don't look at things like that. You look at the NFL and Eli Manning forced his way OUT of a great city (San Diego). Granted, he ended up in NY, but he didn't know that he would go there. Even guys like T.O. and Ochocinco played in really small markets last year with nobody saying "they are bound to leave because of the market that they're in".

RaysFan
07-20-2010, 07:29 AM
No, the Yankees SIMPLY outbid the rest of the league to bring in star players and they do it every year.

They went way above market-value for CC. They even gave him an opt-out after a few years in case he hated it in NY. CC can say whatever he wants, he would have gone to about 10 other places had they offered similar money.

Ezekial
07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
IDK what you're talking about. It does matter in other sports. That's why the Buffalo Bills can never attract any big name free agents other than TO who no one else wanted apparently.

Green Bay is just as small of a market as Buffalo, and Green Bay has one of the richest histories in the NFL.

.................. But on another note TT doesn't go after free agents(cept Charles Woodson),

Cimos21
07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
People in small markets watch football. People in small markets dont watch basketball, and basketball players want to make more than football and baseball players. Most people in middle America that dont live in Chicago think that basketball is a bunch of tall thugs running around gettin paid too much. There's no respect for basketball in most small markets. Small market towns where there are no other sports franchises are probably ok...like OKC.

thenaj17
07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
OH GOD

CAN I KILL MYSELF NOW

Of course Kobe was 'drafted' by Hornets but went straight to the Lakers. Lakers are the only NBA team Kobe has ever played for and may aswell be counted as drafted by them. Thats like saying Lakers drafted Toney Douglas this year... (The Knicks PG in case anyone doesn't know)

thenaj17
07-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Oh really?

Of course I know this.... Dirk has never played for another team... :speechless:

And he hasn't won a title, which shows even more loyalty than kobe or Duncan as he had less reason to stick around

thenaj17
07-20-2010, 07:57 AM

Why are most of these in there? Only Dirk and Pierce can be compared because of the length of time they've been in 1 team. Next you'll be saying D Rose, Rondo and Tyreke Evans should be commended for their loyalty and anyone who actually plays for the team they were drafted in, which would exclude Ricky Rubio...

Bucsfan
07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
because the nba is the most "gangsta" of all sports...i mean honestly why do they care so much...if they want to go to ny or la or miami they have millions of dollars to fly anywhere they want..what city i play in wouldnt matter much to me...but im white also...

Klivlend
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM

o no...only the 5th post in and it is already turning into a Lebron thread. This is getting sick

srfr4life
07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I think it has to do with being African-American and growing up in today's culture. It's all hip-hop influence. They're living the dream that we see in videos, commercials, movies, etc. It's almost like being brain washed, but in a good way.

As a white guy, I don't blame them. I grew in Florida on the beach. Surfing was a huge part of my upbringing and the whole "Xtreme Sports" thing is a big part of how you look at society.

Hip-hop for black dudes. Xtreme sports for white guys. They're kind of the same thing. Honestly, if I was in their situation, I'd reach for the bigger city too. There's more culture in bigger cities. I'd hate to be anywhere in the Midwest.

Klivlend
07-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Wow, that's quite a huge assumption to make. Kevin Durant? Dwight Howard? Brandon Roy? Paul Pierce? Dwayne Wade? Derrick Rose? Yao Ming? Do you really think all of those guys will leave?

Klivlend
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
I think it has to do with being African-American and growing up in today's culture. It's all hip-hop influence. They're living the dream that we see in videos, commercials, movies, etc. It's almost like being brain washed, but in a good way.

As a white guy, I don't blame them. I grew in Florida on the beach. Surfing was a huge part of my upbringing and the whole "Xtreme Sports" thing is a big part of how you look at society.

Hip-hop for black dudes. Xtreme sports for white guys. They're kind of the same thing. Honestly, if I was in their situation, I'd reach for the bigger city too. There's more culture in bigger cities. I'd hate to be anywhere in the Midwest.

Please STFU and never make a post like this again. It reeks of ignorance and is full of generalizations

jon32
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
cuzzz they're media whores n divas? They just go where all the other stars n such are. Just wanna be known by everyone and live the life.......that being said.....who wouldnt want to tho? I sure as hell would rather go to L.A, New York or Miami over places like Detroit. Its all about being big tho...not really what the citys like......Toronto is one of the biggest and craziest cities in North America basically a smaller New York but Americans dont fallow ppl in Canada thats why athletes leaves these type of cities even if the teams looking good.....wanna be known (Vince, McGrady, Bosh)

mikantsass
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM

The NHL is all Canadians and Russians who probably have no clue where half of the Cities in our country are located. Plus this league has no flash or flair to it, so branding means absolutely nothing. These guys growing up in Moscow and Cities in Canada are used to horrible weather and boring city life.

The MLB city matters. Yes the Yankees overpay for everyone, but the teams that players want to play for are all popular cities. Every year Boston, NYY, NYM, LA, CHI, TEX etc get the most attention from free agents.

The NFL is different because their contracts arent garunteed. They are almost forced to take the best deal possible no matter where they sign. And while some cities may be "small market" or "unattractive", the NFL generates such huge fan bases and loyalists that every stadium sells out every week. The NFL is by far the best league in the US. Plus, the NFL is only a 6month season. The other 6 months players live elsewhere (most likely their hometowns). Players in the NFL (except Plaxico) seem not to make public appearances during the season anyways.

DCSportsIsPain
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Because the NBA is full of uneducated players who think that image is everything. A simple-minded sense of priorities says that living in, for example, South Beach with one's "homies" is more important than living near to the people who care about a person. You won't find many Rhodes Scholars in the NBA. Or even much sense. That happens when a league allows such young people to make millions before they file their first tax return.

jezzyman05
07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
And he hasn't won a title, which shows even more loyalty than kobe or Duncan as he had less reason to stick around

by far the dumbest post I have yet to read on PSD, :facepalm:

so what you're saying is that if the Spurs/Laker not won any of thier titles then Duncan and Kobe would have left I will give you Kobe, but Tim Duncan......Please think before you pst

gwrighter
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
i think it might be because they have the power to do so. 1 guy can turn your team into a contender in the nba. whereas it takes more of a balanced attack in other sports to win. therefore a team with good players is prob a better destination for players in other sports. where as in the NBA, playing in a good city might come first. then you can attract other players to play with you like wade did. bang you have a contender. plus other sports can arguable be called more of a team game in my opinion as they all have more players on the roster.

Allstar21
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
reason #1 the jordan marketing machine
reason #2 basketball stars are bigger than stars in any other league (outside a very select few twoods, p. manning etc)
reason #3 massive merchandise possibilities in bigger cities compared to smaller cities (like bball shoe deals)

RocketPower2010
07-20-2010, 01:35 PM
It's simple if you think about it.

What does football and baseball have in common? TEAMWORK! One player can't carry the team to the extent that they can in basketball. Hence basketball players are more "above the game" than a football or baseball star. Therefore, they are more picky about what city they get to live in.

kblo247
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Because the league markets it player's faces and allows fans to be so close to the action unlike other leagues. In doing so, they create a Superstar effect just like pro wrestling or MMA which makes them the bigger global game out of the other 3 leagues in the states. Bigger stars, bigger cities, and bigger fanbases all become in intertwined when it comes to the NBA.

FarOutIos
07-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Wrong. Baseball teams play 162 games a year. Almost twice as many as the NBA, so more baseball games are watched than NBA games. Simple math.

Ha. That's great math buddy... but please dont comment unless you UNDERSTAND.

Just because there are more games televised doesn't mean there are more people watching.

If you want to prove my statement wrong- which it could be, as I am just assuming- you will need to show me the percent of people who watched an NBA game this year vs the percent of people who watched a MLB game.

NOT just ratings either... as ratings show viewership per game. Meaning there might be 100,000 people who watch a MLB game, but they may be the same 100,000 who watch every game. So the total affected market is only 100,000. While a different 50,000 can watch an NBA game every game, this making the market size many times greater.

So, no, I am not wrong. At least YOU haven't proven it. Math is never simple... there are just simple minded people.

SeoulBeatz
07-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Lol!! I don't know how you wouldn't care about what city you are going to live in.. It would have to factor in for me, I cannot lie. How is Miami or L.A. not more appealing than Cleveland or Minnesota or something? Would you rather play in Detroit or Orlando?

no offense but i would hate to live in orlando.

its too fake there, too much disney ****. its fine for a few days but for life? nahhhhh

Jaji
07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Green Bay is just as small of a market as Buffalo, and Green Bay has one of the richest histories in the NFL.

.................. But on another note TT doesn't go after free agents(cept Charles Woodson),

Well it helps when you draft well. See Aaron Rodgers, then see J.P. Losman.

But it definitely matters in the NFL. NHL and MLB have a lot of foreigners so maybe the cities don't matter as much to them, IDK. But in the NFL, city definitely matters. But more so than in the NBA a team's prestige does factor in. That and weather.

koLohe2133
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
City OBVIOUSLY doesn't matter....they just want rings.

keyon dooling went to MILWAUKEE to backup b.jennings.....obviously.

:facepalm:

sep11ie
07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Cause they are exposed more than any other athlete. No hats, no masks, there's only 5 on floor per team at a time so you see their faces so much more.

jon32
07-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Mikantsass
"The NHL is all Canadians and Russians who probably have no clue where half of the Cities in our country are located. Plus this league has no flash or flair to it, so branding means absolutely nothing. These guys growing up in Moscow and Cities in Canada are used to horrible weather and boring city life."

Yaaaaa that's actually not even the slightest bit true......Canadians are actually extremely well taught throughout school about the U.S and the states and cities...we dont live in shacks man haha . I have tonnes of american family....theyve admitted to not knowing where states and cities are and say lots are the same. Also most mojor canadian cities are southern canada....not much of a difference of weather between toronto or montreal and new york or boston.....also...nightlife is pretty insane here.....L.A or New york might be the only ones that can compare to Montreal....Toronto is basically just a smaller new york and all american athletes here praise Toronto on its crazy night life...alot have been said to go to Montreal also just to party ... Vancouver has crazy nightlife.....and the eastcoast is perhaps the craziest of all....St Johns NFLD 100+ bars on one street (most on one street in N.A ) maybe even the world and Halifax N.S has the most bars and clubs per capita in N.A.....soooo ya...nightlife is a bit better than ya think man haha lesson here is....canada knows lots about the u.s , isnt **** weather or much difference between southern canada and northern U.S ...and has amazing nightlife ,know ur facts man before you type

Sixerlover
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Like the other posters said, it's simply because more marketability in a larger market is much more important in the NBA than in baseball or football.

arkanian215
07-20-2010, 02:38 PM
They went way above market-value for CC. They even gave him an opt-out after a few years in case he hated it in NY. CC can say whatever he wants, he would have gone to about 10 other places had they offered similar money.

:eyebrow:Aren't the Yankees part of the market? If the price they're willing to pay for CC is that much, then why isn't that market value?

Chronz
07-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Agreed

arkanian215
07-20-2010, 03:03 PM

So how would you apply your theory to soccer?

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
In baseball, whoever really has the most money wins. Unless you're the Marlins, but even they bought players for their 2 titles. It's very boring to watch because the same teams always win. The fact that the Yankees have 27 titles is a shame.

In football, everyone is competitive no matter the market of the city. Besides this year, there is a cap. How much money a team has does not depend on the market of the city. This is why the NFL is the best sport. Everyone has a chance. The team with the most titles is 6 (Steelers). If football was like baseball, teams like the Pats and Cowboys would have a lot of SB titles because of their high-marketing.

In basketball, it also suffers from the same thing as baseball in terms of the same teams winning all the time. It's not fun knowing that 25 other teams are just there to fill space. It's like what's the point in watching? Of course I'm a Heat fan and I'm excited for this season, but I've never been through one of my teams being a dynasty.

melbnutz
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
KG did alright for himself in the twin cities, by the way, i honestly think some people on here think "minnesota" is the name of the city the teams play in, not minneapolis/st paul, just an observation. as for the question, its about the lifestyle, but if the wolves had a baller team, good players would gladly come play in minneapolis, its a great city, just gets a bit colder here, but its not much colder than detroit, chicago, cleveland, etc............

Scalphunter13
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
It doesn't it was an excuse for Lebron to leave Cleveland and cover up for the real reason he left....because Delonte West banged his mom.:laugh2::laugh2:

Raoul Duke
07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
The NFL just isn't a good comparison. They play once a week, 16 games total. Theres going to be a lot more interest in each game. It's also going to be much easier to stomach the losses when you only have to deal with one a week, insteal of watching an NBA team lose four times in a week.

Reading that back, I guess it doesn't explain why cities matter. I guess I just don't know.

Aussy4GM
07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
In baseball the yankees may have to over pay some players because they are scared to come to NY because the media and the pressure. but on the other hand some players come to NY first chance they get. Burnett was offered just as good of a deal by the braves and he came running to NY days after the offer. wasnt a hard choice for him lol

juggla53
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I can understand why it doesnt matter in football because the season is so short and you can live anywhere you want dureing the offseason. NHL seems to be more popular in bad weather city's so any hockey player wanting to be in the biggest hockey market doesnt want to be in florida or cali, and in terms of baseball a lot of the good players are from poverty stricken areas of cuba and the dominican so anywhere is an improvement over that. I dont think cities matter as much are it currently seems in the NBA, in a case like chris bosh where the money was going to be essentially the same (a few million difference) of course your going to want to live in miami over cleveland, i mean who wouldnt?? Although baseball has a longer season its also played dureing the spring, summer and fall months of the year where climate isnt really all that much different and as i said before dureing the winter months players can live wherever they want because its their offseason.

MacFitz92
07-20-2010, 03:44 PM
It matters in every other sport... It's just in the NBA, one player changes a team more than any other sport, so we notice it more.

Ethix11
07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
NBA teams are smaller than other sports teams therefore players individual careers are magnified to a higher degree thus if you a performing poorly, its more obvious in Basketball than in other sports where your teammates can pick you up or disguise your ineffectiveness. A city can mess with a players concentration on the court but players also want to live a fun life in a big city where they know they are famous because they represent a big part of one of the city's pro teams as opposed to just some OLB who always wears a mask or a pitcher who you dont see on the mound all the time and wears a cap. Basketball players are like WRs, they are more flashy because they are glorified under the spot lights.

SKINZ1017
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM
becuz NBA players are pu55ies

static_inferno
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I think the city is important for any pro player or any working person for that matter. I think it's easier to be a consistently good player in the NBA than it is for other sports. Also, I think NBA players are such divas and have too much control over where they want to go. You never see this in other sports. I mean I love the NBA - basketball is my favorite sport - but the way the league is run is ridiculous. There are so many overpayed players, and players dictate too much about what they want and where they want to go. It's just plain stupid.

dtmagnet
07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I think basketball players just have a feeling of self entitlement so they play stupid games knowing they will get paid no matter what they do.

hyb152
07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Because with a comish like David Stern and a front office that has the likes of Stu Jackson and more, it's all about the money and rigging the league is what it takes to get that money

spitz511
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
It's simple. In baseball there is no cap so the team that is willing to pay the most has a better chance to sign you. In football, teams pay for a position they need and not just the best player. Also, short career so whoever pays the most guarenteed will most likely win. In basketball every team that has cap space can only pay the same amount. You can't out bid so you have to look at other things then just money. Like city.

P.S. basketball players are divas

blue bleeder09
07-20-2010, 04:58 PM

:clap:lol

disk 8
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
you see it in all sports

djlamer
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
its all about fan base
how big is the fan base in LA?
how big is the fan base in memphis?
nuff said

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
More Loyalty in other sports

FarOutIos
07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
So how would you apply your theory to soccer?

You know... I am not that big a soccer fan. So I couldn't tell you if this applies to soccer or not.

Also, soccer has a unique viewing audience. Definitely smaller in the US than football or basketball.

But, if I were to compare the sports... Soccer is less intimate than basketball. The field is pretty large. This lessens the familiarity a fan has with the player.

Also, there is less scoring. So, I'm guessing there are players who only score every game or two. Others who may score every game. For those players, the city may have more effect on their marketability. There seems to be only a few big names in Soccor, though.

But again, I have never watched a full game of soccer... and doubt I will.

Russell_Roberts
07-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Alabama needs an nba team

DCSportsIsPain
07-23-2010, 09:57 AM
The simple answer is: Because only a handful of teams have a chance of winning.
Only six teams have won in the last 30 years. That is 24 teams who are expected to have a fan base despite the fact that the league prevents every team having an equal opportunity to win. The NBA is losing fans. It was even before this off-season but the events of this off-season certainly aren't going to help. The NBA needs a hard cap and the ability for every one of its franchises to compete. NBA fans not located in major markets don't care to see the same haves and have-nots every year and they are finding other sports more competitive and more interesting even if their favorite team is out of contention.

nycsports2
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
cuz theres a cap on the players salary

Brooklyn Mets
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
The reason is easy. NBA is more of a player market than the other leagues. Baseball and Football are team sports. NBA, you can win 60+ games with one "star"..

this

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I dont think all players do care. Haslem has always lived in Miami and his mother lives there and is ill. So that's why he's there, nothing diva about that. Peja wanted to go to Chi-town because it had a large population from his native country, but ended up going where the money was. So his reasons for wanting to play were "diva" like or "marketing a brand". Mutumbo just wanted to go to the team that was willing to pay him the money he needed to put up a hospital in native country. Nash has wanted to play in Canada, but has followed the money as well because he's gotta take care of his own. Some guys like the city with nice weather, Miami isnt going to get LBJ more marketing than NY would have, in fact I think it will be MUCH less, less even than Cleveland potentially, so it wasnt about marketing a brand there either. Bosh just wanted to be in a winning situation. David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Reggie Miller, Magic, Bird, Stockton, they just stayed with the teams that drafted them, some small markets.

Some players gravitate to winner and some like the cities with history. LA and Boston both have a lot of tradition, so some players want to be a part of that history.

I think that is a generalization that just isnt accurate. There are a few cases of players who want to play in some cities, but for the most part I think it is either about making a home, earning a good living or winning, or any combination of the three. I dont think most players care to much about what city they sign with or get drafted by so long as they are earning a decent living and are in a winning situation.

Big Zo
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
"Andre Johnson is coming to the Dolphins because he's from here."

effen5
07-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I didn't even read this thread but simple answer is .... 1 person in the NBA team can change their franchise

MLB NFL is actually a team sport where every individual are accountable for themselves while in the NBA, a player like LBJ can make up the lack of talent.

I hope that makes sense.

Fnom11
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
To be honest I think NBA players have way more stress on their table. Their sport requires FAR MORE energy than any of the others. Plus basketball championships are far more difficult to obtain on a small market team than any of the others and there's proof of that.

dtmagnet
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
OH GOD

CAN I KILL MYSELF NOW

Love this post.

fadedmario
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Diva mentality (Melo)

Bornknick73
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I guess ask Sanchez then go down and ask Matt Ryan if theres a difference. The Sanchise is on TV alot. Not only because of the Jets recent success but because he is the QB of the NYJ in the largest media center in the world. Love the kid but he hasnt won a thing and hes endorsing stuff in national advertising campaigns.

Matt Ryan is a more accomplished QB on a very good team and this country barely knows him.

It sucks but its true a larger market makes a huge difference in terms of making money. Though there are those certain athletes whos ability trancends the area they play in, but sadly not all athletes have this gift.

So i dont think its only NBA players it matters too.

whitemamba33
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm not going to waste my time reading 8 pages of posts..so either I am supporting someone who has said the same thing, or I am bringing an original thought:

I think it's to push their brand. In basetball, more than any other sport, there is the opportunity to earn extra 10's of millions of dollars through shoes and other endorsements. I'm not saying that there aren't endorsements in other sports, but basketball seems to be the height of it. Kids in school want the newest Kobe or LeBron shoe, not the newest Crosby skates or Alex Rodriguez cleats. Basketball has a unique culture to it, and it appeals to the masses. Players know this, and can extend their earnings even further. But that's tough to do if A) the team is a losing team and B) nobody cares about the team.

The Flash
01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
apparently the answer to this thread is lebron james

lol

jon32
01-21-2011, 08:37 PM
To be honest I think NBA players have way more stress on their table. Their sport requires FAR MORE energy than any of the others. Plus basketball championships are far more difficult to obtain on a small market team than any of the others and there's proof of that.

not quite....unless you're not counting hockey as a sport

1. Hockey

gap

2. Basketball

Hockey is the most physically demanding sport aside from boxing. I played both basketball and hockey growing up......basketball fades in comparison to the amount of energy used. If you're not in insane shape ..... you cant play hockey

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

GREATNESS ONE
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh really?

Dirks never won 4+ Championships.

Bruno
01-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Great question.

Don't forget Dirk and Pierce. Hopefully Durant and Wade will retire as one team men as well.

abe_froman
01-21-2011, 09:56 PM
is it? i follow baseball and can give dozens(if given enough time)hundreds of examples of guys caring/picking a place because of the city.hell many have partial no trade clauses worked into their contracts so they can only be traded to cities they like

WizFan3
01-21-2011, 10:16 PM
well id wanna play for a home crowd like lets say carmelo playing for wizards