PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Matt Barnes is going to Toronto

lakers4sho
07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Matt Barnes will "likely" sign with the Raptors, according to Associated Press reporter Tom Withers.
Talks between Barnes and the Cavs appear to have stalled and he might be drawn to Toronto, which has minutes available at SF and plays an up-tempo style.
- Rotoworld

UPDATE:
Its done- http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637

D Roses Bulls
07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
- Rotoworld

he would be dumb as a motha f'er if he went to toronto with some of the other options he could have. i mean isnt the guy like 30 or 31 right now? i would be concentrating on beingon a competitive team or a championship team if i were in his shoes.

goku
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
wow

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-19-2010, 07:12 PM
:sigh:

goku
07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
:sleep:

Cano4prez
07-19-2010, 07:25 PM
:pity:

Hype
Barnes was good for Golden State but has dramatically dropped off since, take the cake and eat.

MagicBucsSox
let me be the first to say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA thats what he gets tryna pressure us to overpay him

PSYCH
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Was hoping for celtics, but would have had to take less $

Klivlend
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
No way. Toronto? No way.

Big Quett
07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
he would be dumb as a motha f'er if he went to toronto with some of the other options he could have. i mean isnt the guy like 30 or 31 right now? i would be concentrating on beingon a competitive team or a championship team if i were in his shoes.

it has to be about money for him. Like you said he is probably about 30 and never had "THAT" contract. I've never remembered him even having more than a 2 year deal. he probably isnt a financially stable as other vets are like Haslem, Biz Z and others like that.

smith&wesson
07-19-2010, 07:33 PM
oh god pls yes !!
lol we need help yall.

i love barnes i think he is sick!

jimbobjarree
07-19-2010, 07:33 PM
haha what a muppet

Gibby
07-19-2010, 07:35 PM
let me be the first to say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA thats what he gets tryna pressure us to overpay him

maybe he gets more money. if he wants the money i dont see how it sucks for him.

smith&wesson
07-19-2010, 07:36 PM
i wonder how much they are offering him

Dol-Fan
07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
it has to be about money for him. Like you said he is probably about 30 and never had "THAT" contract. I've never remembered him even having more than a 2 year deal. he probably isnt a financially stable as other vets are like Haslem, Biz Z and others like that.

lol I always laugh when I read comments like this (I don't mean at you, just at the concept) because if I made NBA minimum salary for as long as Barnes has been around, I'd be financially stable for life.

not really sure what's going on here, we can't sign him outright since the MLE was already used on Kleiza. Must be a sign and trade of some sort..

king4day
07-19-2010, 07:40 PM

He's never had a big contract. So he needs to go where the money is. Miami isn't that for sure. LA, i'm not sure what they offered him.

FNM BOY
07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Barnes obviousy isnt concerend about winning...he is chasing that paper :D

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Ok let's see---

Los Angeles Clippers (2004)
Sacramento Kings (200405)
New York Knicks (2005)
Philadelphia 76ers (200506)
Golden State Warriors (200608)
Phoenix Suns (2008-09)
Orlando Magic (2009-10)
So Matt Barnes is an elite and certified nba journeyman. Not surprised at all.

dodie53
07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
the offer must be huge

HoopsDrive
07-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Yeah, he's dumb for trying to secure a better contract. Because for sure people like him wouldn't try to earn an extra million or so every year for the next 2.

Financial security comes before anything. I'd also take that better contract over a better chance to win a ring.

Sadds The Gr8
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
...he'd be a good addition but if we're overpaying him I don't like it.

Celtic AL
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
well atlest they did not join the heat

Jahari Kavi
07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
i'm not hatin....get ya money matt....this man has his family and possible future generations to think about....make that money if you haven't had the chance to cash in yet.

Avenged
07-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Best of luck for him in Toronto if he goes.

I don't agree with the decision, I'd much rather stay in Orlando or go play with any other contender Lakers/Heat/Celtics but since he hasn't ever got a big paycheck it's understandable. That's one less defender the Lakers have to worry about if he goes to the Raptors.

HoopsDrive
07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
i'm not hatin....get ya money matt....this man has his family and possible future generations to think about....make that money if you haven't had the chance to cash in yet.

Exactly. First thing he needs to think about is financial stability. And don't come saying that he should already be made with the kind of money he got in the past. You can never have enough money in the bank.

spreadeagle
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
sickkkkkkkkkkkkkk :clap:

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:10 PM
looks like colangelo quite possibly made him an offer he can not refuse. i think matt barnes would mesh in well with the raptors. I think the raps should have signed him last season but oh well.

BkOriginalOne
07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
He would perfect for the Celtics.
The closest thing they've had since James Posey. A Defender who can run and shoot the 3.

Byronicle
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I am sorry but I am a raptor's fan, and like the rest of the league, WHY SIGN A DOUCHE WHO JUST WANTS THE MONEY?! is he going to play his heart out and inspire our young core? I highly doubt it if he just wants the $$$$. Please, oh please don't sign him

AND SHAME ON YOU RAPTOR FANS WHO THINK ITS GREAT TO OVERPAY A GUY WHO IS COMING HERE FOR THE $$$$$$

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:13 PM

:confused:

lakers4sho
He would perfect for the Celtics.
The closest thing they've had since James Posey. A Defender who can run and shoot the 3.

career 33% 3PT shooter :(

JRisdabest
id rather have mcgrady than barnes

MU and UW Fan
Let's see how much Toronto is giving him before we call him stupid. He's worth more than the 1.6 mil he made in Orlando last year. If he gets more years and more money it's smart on his part. Get the money while you can and when he gets to the age when he's real close to retirement, then go to a contender to try and get a ring.

Ragun
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
probably a 3-4 years deal worth about 4-5 mill a year. not bad IMO.

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I am sorry but I am a raptor's fan, and like the rest of the league, WHY SIGN A DOUCHE WHO JUST WANTS THE MONEY?! is he going to play his heart out and inspire our young core? I highly doubt it if he just wants the $$$$. Please, oh please don't sign him

AND SHAME ON YOU RAPTOR FANS WHO THINK ITS GREAT TO OVERPAY A GUY WHO IS COMING HERE FOR THE $$$$$$

don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a little bit too fast?

Byronicle
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a little bit too fast?

yes I do lol, but then again if the rest of the league thinks so, if Orlando fans feel that he was trying to highball them, and at his age over 30 you want to sign on a competitive team, with his 'bad ***' attitude I truly don't think he is coming here to inspire and promote growth of our young core, I truly feel like he just wants money

leoncito
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
He has to finally be getting paid. I'm glad for him he has worked his *** off in golden state, phoenix and with orlando

loveofthegame87
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Like Bobby Boucher's dad said,"Don't be stupid get the money mannnnn!!!!!!".

pebloemer
07-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, he can get playing time in Toronto, that's for sure. We are pretty slim at SF and BC tends to pay for what he wants. Personally I think he is a decent fit for a roster that isn't going anywhere for the next few years. I'm just not sure why he would not want to go to the playoffs for a few years.

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:24 PM
yes I do lol, but then again if the rest of the league thinks so, if Orlando fans feel that he was trying to highball them, and at his age over 30 you want to sign on a competitive team, with his 'bad ***' attitude I truly don't think he is coming here to inspire and promote growth of our young core, I truly feel like he just wants money

lol alright.

If you look at his stats he's worth more then what he was getting paid last season. His attitude is what we need on this team. he will add the toughness that we have lacked during the past. The guy that will get in ppls faces. He will protect the young core from the Trevor Ariza's and Paul Pierce's of the league(you know what im talking about). Sure one of the factors could be that the money was right but im positive there is more to it then that.

TKTGIFT216
07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I still pose the Question "Ahem" "WHY IS CLEVELAND SUCH A BAD CHOICE TO PLAY IN?"

Byronicle
07-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, he can get playing time in Toronto, that's for sure. We are pretty slim at SF and BC tends to pay for what he wants. Personally I think he is a decent fit for a roster that isn't going anywhere for the next few years. I'm just not sure why he would not want to go to the playoffs for a few years.

players take less money to be on championship teams, players that want more money go to rebuilders, but then again I guess it is not all bad because once his contract is up, our young guns will be in their prime. My only fear is how much effort is he going to put into a team that will lose a lot of games because if he is going to pull a Hedo on us, then you guys will see me more often on this forum ;)

Byronicle
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
lol alright.

If you look at his stats he's worth more then what he was getting paid last season. His attitude is what we need on this team. he will add the toughness that we have lacked during the past. The guy that will get in ppls faces. He will protect the young core from the Trevor Ariza's and Paul Pierce's of the league(you know what im talking about). Sure one of the factors could be that the money was right but im positive there is more to it then that.

man if he did all that, we could overpay him and I'll be more than happy, heck i'll buy his jersey, but like i told peblomer, i question his effort and motivation he would have on a rebuilding team, because of his cocky attitude and his motivation for coming to Toronto

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I still pose the Question "Ahem" "WHY IS CLEVELAND SUCH A BAD CHOICE TO PLAY IN?"

don't go down that road. you won't like where it leads.:hide:

Eagles4Lyfe
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
people talk like they know the numbers being thrown around we cant overpay for him because we cant afford to give him a lot of money and got into the lux tax it should be something small if anything so i dont get why people are crying..
Secondly so what if hes going to the raptors:S his playoff experience will help come playoff time

TKTGIFT216
07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
How do you figure i'm serious I haven't heard a vaild reason why My city is not worth playing in? If we did have a true team and won a championship or (ships) then we would be come better than TORONTO! what have yall won? Every city to me is a desireable place to play Basketball even the raptors i liked the raptors(when VC called them home). Cleveland is a gold mind waiting to be awaken/ discovered. Who ever puts this city where we should be will be a legend.

d-baller23
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Dang two years in a row, that we lost our starting SF to Toronto because of money, then at the end, he gets injured, he regrets it and wants to comeback to Orlando.But ends up being traded somewhere else...lol

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
man if he did all that, we could overpay him and I'll be more than happy, heck i'll buy his jersey, but like i told peblomer, i question his effort and motivation he would have on a rebuilding team, because of his cocky attitude and his motivation for coming to Toronto

maybe colangelo shared his vision of the immediate future and it looked good to matt barnes? only he and BC's camp know. wherever he has gone he has given it his all, why would he change now? remember how ppl questioned turk's lackadaisical demeanor when he first arrived on then T.O. scene? then he displayed that during the season and we acted like it was a huge surprise when it wasnt. the expectations aren't as high for matt barnes and his contract will reflect that. he will be fine on the roster.

JPHX
07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
moving from orlando to toronto has already been proven as a bad route career wise.

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
How do you figure i'm serious I haven't heard a vaild reason why My city is not worth playing in? If we did have a true team and won a championship or (ships) then we would be come better than TORONTO! what have yall won? Every city to me is a desireable place to play Basketball even the raptors i liked the raptors(when VC called them home). Cleveland is a gold mind waiting to be awaken/ discovered. Who ever puts this city where we should be will be a legend.

The economy is in shambles? to a basketball player Lebron james was the best thing about cleveland and now he is gone. we havent won anything but we got stax n are willing to pay for players.

TKTGIFT216
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
moving from orlando to toronto has already been proven as a bad route career wise.
Raptors are a Career - Death Trap!

smith&wesson
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
YALL are being kinda tuff on the raptors man. dont we deserve anyone ?? not even matt barns ? cmon .

smith&wesson
07-19-2010, 08:45 PM

wow!

3rd post and you already managed to have a whole fan base hate you. awesome.

TKTGIFT216
The economy is in shambles? to a basketball player Lebron james was the best thing about cleveland and now he is gone. we havent won anything but we got stax n are willing to pay for players.
For him to leave he is not true blood and HE'S FROM AKRON!!!!!! Clevelanders (ME) would never desert our team we know what it would be like to be at the mountain top and fall short you never seen past the clouds. We will be a championship town. It will take someone with hard work and dedication and LOYALTY which is the heartbeat of Cleveland!

gwrighter
whats wrong guys? U MAD!?

smith&wesson
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM

and now hedo is in phx :clap:

Eagles4Lyfe
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM

this is why PSD'S a big joke our team gets crapped on then we come to defend them and get banned because we defend and stay loyal to our teams..Where are the so called MODS:facepalm:

TKTGIFT216
07-19-2010, 08:48 PM
YALL are being kinda tuff on the raptors man. dont we deserve anyone ?? not even matt barns ? cmon .
Like i said i liked the raptors. Another team that has die-hard fans CLE and TOR deserve good teams but because we ppl can manage the weather we live in players run for the warm borders of LA or MIA. If a Toronto born player that was as good as Lebron carried the Raptors to the big game that would be the perfect story but as it shows Loyalty means nothing in the NBA anymore. Its the easy way or you throw games for your team to get the #1 pick. it Sucks!

GrumpyOldMan
I'm a Raps fan and like Barnes. I just hope it isn't a long term deal. Gotta keep the man motivated.

Eagles4Lyfe

maybe all the dead cockroaches crawling around the city will be waken up because you asking what toronto has accomplished LMAO are you aware cleveland as a sports cities the biggest joke there is??

3neSoulja
07-19-2010, 08:49 PM
once we dont over pay for him im all for it..hes more than a suitable upgrade over wright at starter...no matter what doe..i styll think well make the playoffs..our team is more free now..an we dont have 80% of our offence in Boshs hands..maybe we wont win a series..but **** well sure as hell finish better than the knicks..ill bet anyone that..jus cause amare plays for NYC now doesnt mean crap...he couldnt do crap with nash feedin him the ball..what could he possibly do with felton..lol

3neSoulja
07-19-2010, 08:51 PM

cleveland is gonna finish dead last in the east...no picture posing now..lebron took his camera to miami

gwrighter
For him to leave he is not true blood and HE'S FROM AKRON!!!!!! Clevelanders (ME) would never desert our team we know what it would be like to be at the mountain top and fall short you never seen past the clouds. We will be a championship town. It will take someone with hard work and dedication and LOYALTY which is the heartbeat of Cleveland!

when he was on cleveland you guys accepted him as your own. n now he isnt?:eyebrow:

i don't want to make this about lebron because its about matt barnes.

toronto is probably the better option for barnes. does he need an explanation as to why he may choose the raps over cleveland? nope.

Byronicle
this is why PSD'S a big joke our team gets crapped on then we come to defend them and get banned because we defend and stay loyal to our teams..Where are the so called MODS:facepalm:

maybe mods don't take raptor fan's loyalty seriously since we got half of them changing their sigs to that stupid ''heat bandwagon fan - July 08 2010''

Gators123
07-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Marc Stein STEIN_LINE_HQ

Just filed to ESPN.com: Matt Barnes and Raptors closing in on two-year deal in $10 million range. Will be completed TUES barring late snag

TKTGIFT216
07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
maybe all the dead cockroaches crawling around the city will be waken up because you asking what toronto has accomplished LMAO are you aware cleveland as a sports cities the biggest joke there is??
What cockroaches they live everywhere last time i checked pimp. Cleveland wont finish last. i wish Matt Barnes best of luck hes a good player and Your right we did accept lebron but even clevelanders tell you we dont care too much for akron. At the end of the day for all nba fans not in MIA its the NBA VS the HEAT and Lakers!

Kobe5RingKing
07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637

Eagles4Lyfe
07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Marc Stein STEIN_LINE_HQ

Just filed to ESPN.com: Matt Barnes and Raptors closing in on two-year deal in $10 million range. Will be completed TUES barring late snag
seeeeeeee 5 mill a year not even bad we signed 2 guys for a total of around 10 mill a year to play SF for us and 2 hard rugged nosed defenders who can knock down the open J what more can you ask??

What cockroaches they live everywhere last time i checked pimp. Cleveland wont finish last. i wish Matt Barnes best of luck hes a good player and Your right we did accept lebron but even clevelanders tell you we dont care too much for akron. At the end of the day for all nba fans not in MIA its the NBA VS the HEAT and Lakers!

LOL its funny because last time i checked about 2 months ago this forum was flooded with cleveland fans now where are they?? OO ya thats right lebron was the only reason for bball in cleveland whatsoever now that hes gone welcome the rebuild

Jamiecballer
07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Marc Stein STEIN_LINE_HQ

story must be bogus. BC would be offering 12 years/124 million.

Ragun
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
2 years/10 mill? nice.

lakers4sho
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
his biggest payday...can't blame him

pebloemer
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM

lol

gwrighter
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
hmmmm barnes also has the same agent as Demar Derozan. Interesting....

Ragun
07-19-2010, 09:19 PM

the reasons why the raps offer big contracts to free agents to bring them over here is because of the taxes in canada and its because Toronto is not in the US. cant blame BC.

asandhu23
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Matt_Barnes22

Nxt season I will b playing for the Toronto Raptors. I wanted to thank the fans in orl you guys were amazing the way u guys excepted

via twitter

Agar81
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Nxt season I will b playing for the Toronto Raptors. I wanted to thank the fans in orl you guys were amazing the way u guys excepted

According to his twitter, Matt Barnes is going to sign with the Toronto Raptors. This is a bit of surprise move in my opinion. I thought he would've wanted to go to a contender (no offense to Raps fans)

http://twitter.com/Matt_Barnes22

tdunk21
07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Matt Barnes is near agreement on a two-year, $9 million deal with Toronto, with a player option for year two, a league source tells Y!

BronBron06
07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Ummm oh well a good defender of the Raptors, lucky them

Ooooh how pitiful no one wants to come to Cleveland

CB4AB7VC15
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Finally someone who plays D and Rebounds, great pick up BC.........

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
wow! I knew it would be a huge offer from the raptors. Good for Matt Barnes. Finally, some decent cash for him but no championship hopes for next two years. Good luck to him.

GSW Hoops
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Good deal for the Raptors. Barnes will add toughness to the bench.

LTBaByyy
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM

2 yr, $10 mil. I thought Raptors was rebuilding??

Barnes, what 30-31 a starting SF on a title contending team thats the defensive role goes to Raptors (lottery team with Really good young players) for the same position?

Wow

Ray_R
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Money Money Money.

td0tsfinest
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised. I really thought a contender would be looking for his services. I guess he wanted a big pay check.

ecorrea
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
- Rotoworld

UPDATE:
Its done- http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637

nice. another dwade stopper not on the heat :clap:

elizur
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
once we dont over pay for him im all for it..hes more than a suitable upgrade over wright at starter...no matter what doe..i styll think well make the playoffs..our team is more free now..an we dont have 80% of our offence in Boshs hands..maybe we wont win a series..but **** well sure as hell finish better than the knicks..ill bet anyone that..jus cause amare plays for NYC now doesnt mean crap...he couldnt do crap with nash feedin him the ball..what could he possibly do with felton..lol

And the Knicks had what to do with this thread exactly?

And couldnt do anything with Nash feeding him? How about game 7 of the Western conference finals. Where was bosh? oh word. And Felton is as solid as you can get running your point.

MrfadeawayJB
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Money talks...

hype707
07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
he is a good player but it will be good NEVER SEEING HIM IN THE PPLAYOFFS AGAIN

x23cbru24x
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
y the hell choose toronto if many other contenders were after him???

pebloemer
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
he is a good player but it will be good NEVER SEEING HIM IN THE PPLAYOFFS AGAIN

He could very easily be flipped at a trade deadline to a contender.

iggypop123
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
he's never had a payday, always minimum short contracts so i cant blame him for choosing money over rings. as much of a powerhouse the lakers are $ remains players #1,2,3,4, and fifth priorities.

gerber
07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
good for the raps/

HeirCanada
07-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Take that Miami.

Bigbadmoffo
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
B.C is building up with average players so he has trade chips at the deadline to bank some picks potential ect. Guys like Barnes will have some value to playoff teams that need defence or a spark off the bench.

MagicBucsSox
07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Barnes went Johnny Depp/John Dillinger on TOR stright robbed the place lmao 10 mil? hahahaha

CB4AB7VC15
07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
B.C is building up with average players so he has trade chips at the deadline to bank some picks potential ect. Guys like Barnes will have some value to playoff teams that need defence or a spark off the bench.

:clap:

Bigbadmoffo
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Barnes went Johnny Depp/John Dillinger on TOR stright robbed the place lmao 10 mil? hahahaha

You guys keep losing important pieces and you're not adding anything. Barnes is a gritty defender off the bench and considering the signings we've seen this year it ain't that bad. it's 4.5 mil and he is worth between 3.5 and 4 in my opinion.

lavilevi23
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
wow overpaid like fck. Raps are stupid too pay him that much IMO.

HeirCanada
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM

U mad?

netsgiantsyanks
07-19-2010, 11:02 PM
not too overpaid, matt barnes is a good player.

Cromedome
07-19-2010, 11:06 PM
This is silly. Instead of playing with a contender, he goes to play in west bubble****? Biggest waste of time ever.

netsgiantsyanks
07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
This is silly. Instead of playing with a contender, he goes to play in west bubble****? Biggest waste of time ever.

are you serious??where have you been? he wants to go to the place that offers the most money

Kleonidas
07-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Can we just delete the whole thread then, what a joke.....The whole 6Th page was deleted by a trigger happy mod...

jhood
07-19-2010, 11:17 PM
It's 8 mills over two years which is great for Toronto - it's a sick contract and he has the option of being our starting sf

ManRam
07-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't get how...

1) Orlando can S&T him to Toronto for that much money (we can only offer 1.9M a year for him)
2) How Toronto could sign him for that deal. Didn't they use their MLE on Kleiza??? So they shouldn't be able to drop that much money on him either.

I'm very confused.

ElMarroAfamado
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
its funny we will never hear from Matt Barnes ever again. Thats cool though

Cromedome
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Everyone knows Toronto isn't winning anything any time soon ...so why would a GOOD lock up defender choose to bring his talents to Toronto? Money talks and ******** walks?

R.I.P Matt Barnes.

omdigga
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
good for barnes.. good for toronto too.. hes a tuff kid.

ManRam
07-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Barnes deserved his big payday. I've said that all along. He's never made more than $2M in a season, and he does deserve to make more than that. He went where the money was the best, and he's one of the very few players that I won't knock for that. Toronto needs some grit, he'll help.

Looks like he's just going to sign an outright deal with Toronto for 2 years 9 million and perhaps an option. So no Orlando S&T.

defender4m
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
y

HowBoutDemBulls
07-19-2010, 11:28 PM

I bet you wanted him on the Heat, too bad. :p

olrales
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Good pickup for Toronto! He will bring toughness and character to this team where the winning culture is obviously missing... I hope he kicks youngs *** to make them WANT to win! Great signing by BC! And not too expensive, if you think that Amir Johnson is gonna get 7M year...

RCarlson85
07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
What a selfish bastard. All he cares about is money. He doesn't care at all about winning? Lol. Actually I didn't care where he went.

ManRam
07-19-2010, 11:32 PM
What a selfish bastard. All he cares about is money. He doesn't care at all about winning? Lol. Actually I didn't care where he went.

You do realize that Matt Barnes has never had a long-term contract, never made more than 2 million dollars a season...probably hasn't made more than 6 million dollars in his career.

Like I said earlier, he is the one player that I think should be chasing money. He deserves a payday, and he deserves a multi-year deal.

It looks like only Cleveland and Toronto were offering him more than the minimum anyways...so I really don't blame him.

DaoudS
07-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Everyone knows Toronto isn't winning anything any time soon ...so why would a GOOD lock up defender choose to bring his talents to Toronto? Money talks and ******** walks?

R.I.P Matt Barnes.

He had been playing for the league minimum. Let him cash in, who cares.

ldc62
Dont even get this move...

Raps18-19 Champ
He's never earned more than 2 mil a year? Ouch.

He deserves more than that. He's around 4 mil or so.

koreancabbage
i think its a good deal for him

its a 2 year deal with a player option on the second year. he's getting his payday and taking care of his finances first before anything. 4.5 million is a huge upgrade in pay for him.

if he wants to go to a contender afterwards, he will do so knowing he has money in his pocket.

Cromedome
Why can't I speak my mind about this? I feel it's a shame Matt Barnes cared more about money than winning/his career.

ManRam
07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Why can't I speak my mind about this? I feel it's a shame Matt Barnes cared more about money than winning/his career.

No one is saying you can't...we're just explaining why we disagree.

He's never made more than the minimum really. He deserves and has every right to take a bigger deal. I don't blame him one bit. He can chase rings later. Financial stability is the most important thing right now for him.

The NBA is his JOB after all.

ldc62
07-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Doesn't make sense for the Raptors. Are we going to be better than some think? Sure. Are we contenders? **** no. Why would we want to sign Barnes who isn't going to help us in the long run (age: 30)?

koreancabbage
07-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Doesn't make sense for the Raptors. Are we going to be better than some think? Sure. Are we contenders? **** no. Why would we want to sign Barnes who isn't going to help us in the long run (age: 30)?

to help the young guys grow into their defensive roles and someone to watch their backs.

DaoudS
07-19-2010, 11:41 PM

It's essentially a 1 year deal for a defensive player who hasn't averaged more than 10.2 points a game. He isn't really a huge difference maker on the team. Bryant, Miami and Chicago wanted him - so it is possible that he gets traded to a contender mid season. Not loss situation IMO.

h2r09
07-19-2010, 11:42 PM
bad fit on both sides.

DaoudS
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
bad fit on both sides.

A guy who wanted money and a team that wanted a SF. Where is the bad fit?

Duddy
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
It's essentially a 1 year deal for a defensive player who hasn't averaged more than 10.2 points a game. He isn't really a huge difference maker on the team. Bryant, Miami and Chicago wanted him - so it is possible that he gets traded to a contender mid season. Not loss situation IMO.

No way he goes to Miami, LA or Chi with his 2 year 10mil contract. Specially Miami, that would have to send like 3 vets in order to get him.

DaoudS
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
No way he goes to Miami, LA or Chi with his 2 year 10mil contract. Specially Miami, that would have to send like 3 vets in order to get him.

I never said he would be going to those teams, I said that they were mentioned as teams interested in his services.

C_Mund
07-19-2010, 11:51 PM
1. Matt Barnes is a good role player that offers everything the raps have lacked in the last couple years. He's obviously not an all-star caliblre sf, but the fact that he's played on up-tempo teams as well as solid defensive teams gives him experience and leadership on a team that desperately needs them. He's an attitude changer more so than franchise-changer.
2. Matt Barnes wants to win a championship for sure. However, he's a player that took a long time into this career to get a decent contract. He's not going to have a legacy that will follow him forever, so me may as well look after his future and that of his kids/grandkids.
I'd do the same thing if I were in his shoes, I'd play for money.
...besides, it's a really short contract. Maybe he could add more to a contender after he's played a big role on a lesser team himself. He's not super old.

RCarlson85
07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
No one is saying you can't...we're just explaining why we disagree.

He's never made more than the minimum really. He deserves and has every right to take a bigger deal. I don't blame him one bit. He can chase rings later. Financial stability is the most important thing right now for him.

The NBA is his JOB after all.

So you're saying he can do what he wants because it's his job? I agree. My post earlier saying he only cares about money was a joke. Everyone will find a reason to rip on someone's decision. If he had taken the minimum to play for someone like the Heat, Lakers, or Magic everyone would have been saying he doesn't care about money or getting a chance to play big minutes. It doesn't matter what these guys do, someone will find fault with it. Bottom line, they can do what they want, it's their life and their career.

*Superman*
07-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Why all the hate for Matt? Dude never really got payed and had more heart than anyone else. Like ManRam said, its a job, don't tell me you would take $1.9M for a year compared to $5M.

SouthEast DC
07-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Iam 100% With You. He would be dum to go there and not the Heat, Mavs, or Boston.

RCarlson85
07-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Why all the hate for Matt? Dude never really got payed and had more heart than anyone else. Like ManRam said, its a job, don't tell me you would take $1.9M for a year compared to $5M.

Some people would take the 2 mil over the 5 mil if money wasn't the most important thing. If he really wanted win and have a chance at a championship he would take the 2 mil and play for the Heat or Lakers or someone else like that. If money is more important now that's fine, but some people would rather win.

Still.I.Rise
07-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Another good move by BC. the deal works because its a short term deal and give the Team flexabilty. We just added an assset that if anything we can move at the trading deadling to a team that may need that lock down defender for the playoffs. Also the move works because it gives Demar and Sonny the opportunity to continue to develop.

Stop the hating and see the vision more moves to come.

ManRam
07-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I really can't believe people are bashing him for going to Toronto. He's Matt Barnes. He's never gotten his big payday. Most stars will have two big paydays before the age of 30. He's 30, and hasn't ever made more than the minimum really.

He should be chasing money. Chase a ring in two years, after you are set financially.

Tmath
07-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Some people would take the 2 mil over the 5 mil if money wasn't the most important thing. If he really wanted win and have a chance at a championship he would take the 2 mil and play for the Heat or Lakers or someone else like that. If money is more important now that's fine, but some people would rather win.

He's not getting 100+ million like your 3 Butt Buddies are in miami

xxseven72ducexx
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I just read on Twitter that it's not official yet...there's a problem coming from Orlando trying to get a sign-and-trade done so even though it seems like a done deal, it really isn't...I''ll keep y'all posted if I read anything new about this

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:08 AM

Selfish like Lebron??? Is winnng the easy way not selfish?? Would Lebron have taken 8 mil to win instead of close to the max?

koreancabbage
07-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Iam 100% With You. He would be dum to go there and not the Heat, Mavs, or Boston.

you would be dumb not to take the $5 million and settle for for less than $2.

in the end of his career, he has not been a marquee guy nor will he ever be. championships won't measure his success cuz he's not the star player.

it'll be what he does after his career is over and the money he has for retirement and his family.

sure championships would be nice, but he's still young enough to go for the paycheck and win later on in a year or two for league minimum.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:11 AM

He just took the vet min. with us last year for the chance to win it all. It didn't pan out, and our GM didn't offer a contract to him. I feel bad for a guy that played just about every game and got paid 1.9M, while Brandon Bass didn't play just about half the season and got 4M and Gortat plays 10 freaking minutes a game and gets 5.5M.

It's just not fair is what I am saying and he deserved it, this could be one of his last paychecks, he is like 30 years old. Now the Hedo situation was different, I heard the Magic were offering almost 40M and he went to Toronto for 50M? Like I am sure he could live without 10M and have a chance to go back to the Finals. But at the end of the day its a business.

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
He's not getting 100+ million like your 3 Butt Buddies are in miami

What does that have anything to do with Matt Barnes? Why do you jackasses always have to make it about the Heat. Of course he's not getting 100 mil, because he's a bench player. It's not really that hard to see that if winning was the important thing for him that he would have signed for less to play with a title contender. That's pretty easy to understand. Toronto will suck dick anyway so I hope he has fun up in Canada.

PLAYERS FAN
Never thought he was coming to the Lakers.

Bigbadmoffo
I agree with this. Hedo was chasing money but Barnes is try to get paid for a change. If he has a good season he will get traded to a playoff team anyways.

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
He just took the vet min. with us last year for the chance to win it all. It didn't pan out, and our GM didn't offer a contract to him. I feel bad for a guy that played just about every game and got paid 1.9M, while Brandon Bass didn't play just about half the season and got 4M and Gortat plays 10 freaking minutes a game and gets 5.5M.

It's just not fair is what I am saying and he deserved it, this could be one of his last paychecks, he is like 30 years old. Now the Hedo situation was different, I heard the Magic were offering almost 40M and he went to Toronto for 50M? Like I am sure he could live without 10M and have a chance to go back to the Finals. But at the end of the day its a business.

I agree and can understand that he wants to get paid while he still has a chance. I was just saying some people do play for less to have a better title shot. It is true he tried that last year and it didn't work out, so I can understand him trying to take a different approach.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
What does that have anything to do with Matt Barnes? Why do you jackasses always have to make it about the Heat. Of course he's not getting 100 mil, because he's a bench player. It's not really that hard to see that if winning was the important thing for him that he would have signed for less to play with a title contender. That's pretty easy to understand. Toronto will suck dick anyway so I hope he has fun up in Canada.

It's pretty obvious that you are mad he didn't choose Miami like every other 32+ year old running outta gas.

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Dude, grow up man. Don't hate a guy fro trying to make a living. Why would he want a title over a stable life for his kids. At the end of the day he is being offered over double the money. I think if Miami said take 8 mil to Wade so we can stack the bench he wouldn't.

Kleonidas
07-20-2010, 12:17 AM
You can tell most here never had a chance at signing a 5 million a year contact...Matt Barnes included...Shows he smarter then most on this board...Most can't even do simple math 2<5
If you think being on a winner is more important then getting paid ,your just a dumbass!!!

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
I agree and can understand that he wants to get paid while he still has a chance. I was just saying some people do play for less to have a better title shot. It is true he tried that last year and it didn't work out, so I can understand him trying to take a different approach.

This is more then a pay cut. He'd be taking like 60 percent less not to mention he isn't a former big money guy. Nobody in the nba in his situation has taken a cut like that. Name one.

RCarlson85
Selfish like Lebron??? Is winnng the easy way not selfish?? Would Lebron have taken 8 mil to win instead of close to the max?

OMG! Can no one take a joke. I guess I should have made the LOL in bold print and larger. Settle the **** down. It's always got to be about Lebron doesn't it? You and everyone else still riled up about this need to chill out. It's over, he's in Miami, and not on your team. You're going to have to just accept it. I'm sick of talking about this guy. Lebron can and did do what he wants.

Kleonidas
What does that have anything to do with Matt Barnes? Why do you jackasses always have to make it about the Heat. Of course he's not getting 100 mil, because he's a bench player. It's not really that hard to see that if winning was the important thing for him that he would have signed for less to play with a title contender. That's pretty easy to understand. Toronto will suck dick anyway so I hope he has fun up in Canada.One day Burgerking will offer you more money then MickyD's, but you should stay with the winner imho.

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Everyone thinks guys making 16 mil taking a 2 mil cut is humble and proves they don't care about money lol.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
One day Burgerking will offer you more money then MickyD's, but you should stay with the winner imho.

:laugh:

BurgerKing is better though...;)

mynameismo
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
How the heck did this thread become another Lebron thread?

Oh well, I thought Barnes wanted to play for a contender. I guess the money was too big to pass up.

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM
This is more then a pay cut. He'd be taking like 60 percent less not to mention he isn't a former big money guy. Nobody in the nba in his situation has taken a cut like that. Name one.

Wow. He played for the minimum last season with Orlando and that's what he would have played for had he chosen to go to someone like Miami or LA or to stay with the Magic. How's playing for the same thing a paycut?

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM
OMG! Can no one take a joke. I guess I should have made the LOL in bold print and larger. Settle the **** down. It's always got to be about Lebron doesn't it? You and everyone else still riled up about this need to chill out. It's over, he's in Miami, and not on your team. You're going to have to just accept it. I'm sick of talking about this guy. Lebron can and did do what he wants.

Lol i'm a raps fan so i'm no mad. I knew we weren't getting him lol and i'm not mad Bosh left. I just think Lebron is a selfish trader he left a 1st place team and his home town because he was scared to compete.

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
How the heck did this thread become another Lebron thread?

Oh well, I thought Barnes wanted to play for a contender. I guess the money was too big to pass up.

I don't know. That's what I'm wondering. I didn't want to talk to him, but it seems like any time a Miami fan comes and posts some ******* will make it about Lebron because they're still pissed.

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Wow. He played for the minimum last season with Orlando and that's what he would have played for had he chosen to go to someone like Miami or LA or to stay with the Magic. How's playing for the same thing a paycut?

Cause he can have 5 mil so it is a paycut if he takes the minimum.

Kleonidas
07-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Lets be clear! He wasn't passing on a winner to take a little more money...It's over 6 Million more after 2 years!!! I haven't made 1 million in my lifetime ,and I have a well paying job. Good for Barnes...

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:27 AM
You guys wanna know why it's about Lebron??? It's because all of a sudden this site is 90 percent Miami and Lebron makes sense for a comeback.

king4day
07-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Nice to see he and Barbosa reunited. Barnes helped him when his mother died, so this is good for both of them.

RCarlson85
Dude, grow up man. Don't hate a guy fro trying to make a living. Why would he want a title over a stable life for his kids. At the end of the day he is being offered over double the money. I think if Miami said take 8 mil to Wade so we can stack the bench he wouldn't.

Since when can people not have a stable living off 2 million? It would really be a hardship for anyone to have to struggle off only 2 million. Give me a ****ing break.

*Superman*
Hold on just a minute, Matt Barnes deal not completely done, says source. Issues with Orlando in sign-and-trade. Deal not done yet.

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

So this guy comes along, I'm really lost now.

BTW Kleonidas posted that in the Magic forum. ;)

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Since when can people not have a stable living off 2 million? It would really be a hardship for anyone to have to struggle off only 2 million. Give me a ****ing break.

Haha. Tell that to LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Dwight, Carmelo, Dirk, Joe Johnson, Kobe, KG, Duncan, pretty much everyone in the ****ing NBA. Give him a break man, 2 years 10M is nothing compared to those guys.

All those guys get more then that in 1 YEAR.

I would like to add Rashard Lewis and Gilbert Arenas to that list. :)

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:31 AM

Say that to all the broke ex sports players. Well why did Wade an the boys not take 5 mil each i mean heh they got money?

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:32 AM
It's pretty obvious that you are mad he didn't choose Miami like every other 32+ year old running outta gas.

No actually I didn't care if he signed with the Heat, never expected him to. And FYI, if he Heat actually do sign Juwan Howard it will be 2 players over 32 with him and Big Z. You and every other ignorant person out there thinks they have so many old guys when in reality it's a whopping 2 players. Every team has a couple vets.

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:34 AM
http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

So this guy comes along, I'm really lost now.

BTW Kleonidas posted that in the Magic forum. ;)

It's because Miami needs to tak something like apick to make this happen. Maybe they don't think they should help Barnes out. Makes sense if the Magic don't wanna help him get paid i guess.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:34 AM
No actually I didn't care if he signed with the Heat, never expected him to. And FYI, if he Heat actually do sign Juwan Howard it will be 2 players over 32 with him and Big Z. You and every other ignorant person out there thinks they have so many old guys when in reality it's a whopping 2 players. Every team has a couple vets.

:)

Got it boss.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:38 AM
It's because Miami needs to tak something like apick to make this happen. Maybe they don't think they should help Barnes out. Makes sense if the Magic don't wanna help him get paid i guess.

Miami?

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Haha. Tell that to LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Dwight, Carmelo, Dirk, Joe Johnson, Kobe, KG, Duncan, pretty much everyone in the ****ing NBA. Give him a break man, 2 years 10M is nothing compared to those guys.

All those guys get more then that in 1 YEAR.

I would like to add Rashard Lewis and Gilbert Arenas to that list. :)

He can do what he wants. I don't care. I just think it's ridiculous that people try to make it seem like they will be living the hard life while making only $2 million. The reason the stars get paid that much is because they are the ones who fill the arena, they are the ones that sell the merchandise, they are the ones that people tune in to watch on tv. No one goes to a game to watch Matt Barnes.

Bigbadmoffo
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Miami?

Lol i spend so much time talking smackabout miami it's the team i say lol. Orlando.

Still.I.Rise
07-20-2010, 12:42 AM

:facepalm: Your a joke no need to get childish. Is that how you going to behave if things don't go they way you expect it in Miami.Come on man grow up.

The fact is yes the signing is surprising we understand. That doesn't change the fact that it's a good move for Toronto and for Barnes. if you haven't notice every move that was made even the one that fell through have been positioning the Raptors to have flexiabilty. Who knows maybe there is a bigger move in the works which will make this one make more sense but for now it works because Toronto has another assets that they can move at the trading deadling.

mrblisterdundee
07-20-2010, 12:43 AM
It's official: Who cares?

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Say that to all the broke ex sports players. Well why did Wade an the boys not take 5 mil each i mean heh they got money?

I don't feel sorry for the broke sports players at all. They are the ones who squandered their money instead of planning for the other half of their life outside of sports when most won't still be making big money. If they end up poor that's their own fault. Wade or Lebron or Kobe taking 5 million would be way more ridiculous than Matt Barnes taking 2 mil instead of 5 mil. Personally I would like to see stars that say it's all about winning to take a pay cut like that. Prove that it's really all about winning. You're right, they certainly have plenty of money.

GodsSon
07-20-2010, 12:49 AM

Says the Heat fan since July 8th, 2010.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 12:50 AM
He can do what he wants. I don't care. I just think it's ridiculous that people try to make it seem like they will be living the hard life while making only $2 million. The reason the stars get paid that much is because they are the ones who fill the arena, they are the ones that sell the merchandise, they are the ones that people tune in to watch on tv. No one goes to a game to watch Matt Barnes.

http://www.thenolookpass.com/2010/04/20/fresh-nba-gear-matt-barnes-is-a-scary-man/ > http://www.posterized.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lebroncheckmystats.jpg

robdizzle3
07-20-2010, 12:52 AM
If he isnt getting paid much more than what contenders offered, he's gonna regret that decision down the line. Toronto isnt really going anywhere.

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 12:54 AM

Good one. Another one of these people that assumes that every Heat fan has only been a fan for 2 weeks. Don't act like you know anything about me. I have been a Heat fan for longer than the Raptors have been a team.

robdizzle3
07-20-2010, 12:55 AM

Hahaha. We've seen alot of that.

Still.I.Rise

Yes stars fill the seats but solid role players next to your star wins you championships. So enough with the hating 4.5m puts your family in way better situation than 2.

Give me a break all this talk about Prince James and Bosh taking less money I am no expert but with Miami tax laws you would no know that this is far from the truth.

*Superman*
Lol i spend so much time talking smackabout miami it's the team i say lol. Orlando.

I was thinking that. Lol

I don't feel sorry for the broke sports players at all. They are the ones who squandered their money instead of planning for the other half of their life outside of sports when most won't still be making big money. If they end up poor that's their own fault. Wade or Lebron or Kobe taking 5 million would be way more ridiculous than Matt Barnes taking 2 mil instead of 5 mil. Personally I would like to see stars that say it's all about winning to take a pay cut like that. Prove that it's really all about winning. You're right, they certainly have plenty of money.

Only difference is that all the stars have sponsors, take for example, LeBron got paid 100M for signing with Nike when he was 18! That's a lot of money. He could take a pay cut, and that is just one sponsor, I know he does McDonalds and Vitamin Water too. Plus he got paid in Cleveland and now in Miami. He could play for free at this point, so why bash Barnes for getting 10M for 2 years!?

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I was thinking that. Lol

Only difference is that all the stars have sponsors, take for example, LeBron got paid 100M for signing with Nike when he was 18! That's a lot of money. He could take a pay cut, and that is just one sponsor, I know he does McDonalds and Vitamin Water too. Plus he got paid in Cleveland and now in Miami. He could play for free at this point, so why bash Barnes for getting 10M for 2 years!?

I agree big time stars don't make their money on the court. I have no argument there. Just so you know, the first thing I mentioned about Matt Barnes being selfish was a complete joke that no one understood. People will find any reason to hate a players decision, whether it be taking less to win or taking the money because that's more important. I was joking and ripping him for taking the money. This all got out of hand, I never came in here to argue about Barnes. I don't have any problem with him getting paid if that's what he wants to do.

C_Mund
07-20-2010, 01:06 AM
disregard

alchemist0123
07-20-2010, 01:06 AM

ya i forgot cleveland is the home of the indians, the browns and yes, the cavs. pure winners the last few decades, very attractive perhaps.

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 01:07 AM
I agree big time stars don't make their money on the court. I have no argument there. Just so you know, the first thing I mentioned about Matt Barnes being selfish was a complete joke that no one understood. People will find any reason to hate a players decision, whether it be taking less to win or taking the money because that's more important. I was joking and ripping him for taking the money. This all got out of hand, I never came in here to argue about Barnes. I don't have any problem with him getting paid if that's what he wants to do.

That's totally fine man, I like having debates. I'm glad that you understand though why it was a good move for him...if it even happens now. Lol

GodsSon
07-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Heat fans seem to be so salty that a good defensive 3, who can hit the open shot, rejected riding the coattails of everyone else...lol funny, I bet you were all salivating in hopes he would gladly accept the vet min and ride the bench...tsk tsk tsk

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 01:10 AM
If he isnt getting paid much more than what contenders offered, he's gonna regret that decision down the line. Toronto isnt really going anywhere.

Vet minimum just about every 'real' contender he would have gone to. 1.9M< 5M per season.

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Yes stars fill the seats but solid role players next to your star wins you championships. So enough with the hating 4.5m puts your family in way better situation than 2.

Give me a break all this talk about Prince James and Bosh taking less money I am no expert but with Miami tax laws you would no know that this is far from the truth.

Here's the thing and I don't want to argue with you over this. It's true that because of no income tax in FLA, Lebron and Bosh are basically in the same situation they would be in if they signed somewhere else that had income tax. However, they still could have gotten the full 125 million tax free. There was nothing stopping them from getting that much. Riley certainly would have paid it. Miami could have paid all three the max contract. So Lebron and Bosh did take 15 million less and Wade took like 18 million less. It doesn't matter that they are basically in the same position because of no tax, they still could have gotten 125 mil each.

Public Enemy #1
07-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Dumb

RCarlson85
07-20-2010, 01:12 AM
That's totally fine man, I like having debates. I'm glad that you understand though why it was a good move for him...if it even happens now. Lol

I like a good debate too, I just don't like when it gets so heated and people start saying things they really don't mean and everything gets taken the wrong way. Hopefully it still works out for him. It was good debating with you. Lol.

BronBron06
07-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Why bother with a little difference of tax cost / without tax cost

When the Triad are going to be renowned globally especially when they win alot of rings

More cash are flowing right at their pockets

The Triad took less money for the betterment of the team... REMEMBER NOT INDIVIDUAL

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Why bother with a little difference of tax cost / without tax cost

When the Triad are going to be renowned globally especially when they win alot of rings

More cash are flowing right at their pockets

The Triad took less money for the betterment of the team... REMEMBER NOT INDIVIDUAL

When did you make 'The Decision' that you were going to become a LeBron fan?...

alchemist0123
07-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Good one. Another one of these people that assumes that every Heat fan has only been a fan for 2 weeks. Don't act like you know anything about me. I have been a Heat fan for longer than the Raptors have been a team.

toronto huskies fans here very ancient ya heard

*Superman*
07-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Update:

Veteran swingman Matt Barnes, one of the most coveted free agents left on the open market, announced Monday night that he is headed to the Toronto Raptors.

But the limited sign-and-trade options available to Orlando -- Barnes' last team -- could scuttle the deal, according to sources close to the situation.

Under the impression that he would be receiving a two-year contract in the $10 million range, Barnes thanked Magic fans via his Twitter feed and said that he'll be "playing for the Toronto Raptors" next season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the teams will resume discussions Tuesday, as planned all along, with the intent of landing Barnes with the Raptors via sign-and-trade.

Yet no such deal could be assured as of midnight, raising the possibility that Barnes would have to accept new terms to sign with the Raptors or that other teams that have been chasing Barnes will get another shot at him if the deal collapses.

Since Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza, it doesn't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic, though, are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season. A sign-and-trade deal would also have to span at least three years, although only the first year is required to be guaranteed.

Barnes was initially believed to be on the verge of signing with a title contender late last week -- such as Miami, Boston or the Los Angeles Lakers -- when the Raptors made an aggressive late rush to join the bidding.

Barnes also gave serious consideration in recent days to the Cleveland Cavaliers before talks with Toronto got serious.

Barnes started 58 games last year for Orlando in his only season with the Magic after a hard recruiting push from center Dwight Howard.

The 30-year-old averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in Orlando and had originally signed a two-year deal with the team. But Barnes exercised his option to become a free agent after playing for $1.6 million in 2009-10.

With salary-cap rules limiting the raise the Magic could offer unless it cut into its own mid-level exception, Magic general manager Otis Smith said last week that matching Chicago's offer sheet to sharpshooter J.J. Redick and signing Quentin Richardson were budget priorities.

If Toronto does not become Barnes' eighth stop in a career that began with the Los Angeles Clippers in 2003, it will be the second high-profile deal to unravel unexpectedly at the Raptors' expense this offseason.

Earlier this month, Charlotte agreed to participate in a trade originally hatched by Toronto and the Phoenix Suns, which would have brought Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw to the Raptors. But the Bobcats pulled out and traded Chandler to Dallas one day later.

arkanian215
07-20-2010, 01:32 AM
lol I always laugh when I read comments like this (I don't mean at you, just at the concept) because if I made NBA minimum salary for as long as Barnes has been around, I'd be financially stable for life.

not really sure what's going on here, we can't sign him outright since the MLE was already used on Kleiza. Must be a sign and trade of some sort..

But if you were an NBA player, you wouldn't be spending at the level you are now. I think a big reason why a lot of these athletes, and people in general, become bankrupt is because a large share of them succumb to a keeping up with the Joneses mentality.

bigdogg214
07-20-2010, 01:43 AM
nice signing

BronBron06
07-20-2010, 01:49 AM
When did you make 'The Decision' that you were going to become a LeBron fan?...

U MAD? Since your Dwight boy dont have any swagger with the media? ;)

Oh BTW good luck sticking it with Mr. Overpaid Lewis

LA_Raiders
07-20-2010, 02:11 AM
$$$ overpaid....

97NYer
07-20-2010, 02:16 AM
U MAD? Since your Dwight boy dont have any swagger with the media? ;)

Oh BTW good luck sticking it with Mr. Overpaid Lewis

Guys give up. He's too smart for us. No matter what we say and how rational it is, we're not getting an answer other than....

U MAD?

Kleonidas
07-20-2010, 02:17 AM
^Your sig doesn't add up. LeBron will still be in the top???...Top of what???
Top Batman ever belongs to Pippen so...Change in to on ,and then maybe!!! I can see how in and on could be hard for you to get...FWIW LeBron has never been on top ,and never will be ,seeing how it's Wade's team.

gbrl
07-20-2010, 02:19 AM
Hearing Matt Barnes to Toronto isn't a done deal. Magic having trouble facilitating a sign-and-trade.
http://twitter.com/jadande

97NYer
07-20-2010, 02:21 AM
^Your sig doesn't add up. LeBron will still be in the top???...Top of what???
Top Batman ever belongs to Pippen so...Change in to on ,and then maybe!!! I can see how in and on could be hard for you to get...FWIW LeBron has never been on top ,and never will be ,seeing how it's Wade's team.

:clap:

shep33
07-20-2010, 02:27 AM
http://twitter.com/jadande

Yeah, its on ESPN now, the deal ain't done and their are financial things that didn't go through. Still they'll meet tomorrow, prolly get a deal done.

PC
07-20-2010, 03:22 AM
The potential sign-and-trade deal that would send Matt Barnes to Toronto is now "dead," according to a league source.
"The sign and trade (scenario) is dead," the source was quoted as saying, as neither Toronto, or the Magic have the money available to make the deal. It sounds like there was a serious "miscalculation" in the talks, and while it's not certain that he won't be joining the Raptors, it does sound unlikely to happen. Which is unfortunate, since Barnes already announced the deal on Twitter. Jul. 20 - 1:38 am et
rotoworld

shep33
07-20-2010, 03:24 AM
rotoworld

Wow that's a shame... still he can get money from Cleveland and other teams with some cap room. Nowhere near as much as he'd get from the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, etc.

MaHaRaJaH
07-20-2010, 03:30 AM
rotoworld
Kawk blocked twice `--_--

SMH!
07-20-2010, 03:39 AM
cash money barness

xbrackattackx
07-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Everyone worried about him not playing hard, Dude will surprise you he is not a cancer like hedo.

You guys never think maybe he loves the game more than rings and money and just wants more playing time.

MaHaRaJaH
07-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Everyone worried about him not playing hard, Dude will surprise you he is not a cancer like hedo.

You guys never think maybe he loves the game more than rings and money and just wants more playing time.

I think that`s why he`s coming to Toronto.

DaoudS
07-20-2010, 06:47 AM
I think that`s why he was coming to Toronto.

fixed.