PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumbel on LeBron James on his HBO show Real Sports

d00d
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
http://cavs.ohio.com/2010/07/bryant-gumbel-weighs-in-on-lebron/

Finally tonight, a few words about championship rings. Just when did they become the all-important barometer of who does or doesn’t count in sports? When did they supersede personal excellence or exemplary character as a standard of greatness?

I got to thinking about that the other night after the self-anointed chosen one, LeBron James, embarrassed himself as he tried to make his decision to seek rings in Miami sound like a search for the Holy Grail. It’s when he essentially admitted to placing a higher priority on winning than anything else.

LeBron’s decision is typical of our immediate gratification era, but it flies in the face of history. Even though he never won a title, Dan Marino is still the biggest hero in Florida. And in Boston, all those Celtics championships are dimmed by the unforgettable brilliance of Ted Williams, who never won anything. In Chicago, Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus have legendary status despite playing on losing teams. And even in the NBA, where guys seem obsessed with being viewed as ‘the man’, real men like Barkley, Ewing and Baylor are ringless, but revered.

Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe he’ll get one, maybe he won’t, but it’s probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux can’t make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring can’t make one truly a champion.

Wade>You
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
So which is it:

(A) Does he need rings to secure his legacy?

(B) Or will staying on bad team where he can pad his stats and never win secure his legacy?

I'm going with (C): None, because LeBron can't do right in the eyes of the "holier than thou" public.

d00d
07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
he makes some valid points, can you agree with that? He would have been a legend of the sport just staying in Cleveland

daleja424
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
the dude cannot win. if he puts up stats and loses people say that he isnt great b/c he hasnt won a title. if he goes to a team to win games people say he isn't great because he asked for help. come on people. no matter what he did you were all going to have something negative to say.

Wade>You
07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
he makes some valid points, can you agree with that? He would have been a legend of the sport just staying in ClevelandYes, he made some valid points; but I doubt he would be a legend by losing in Cleveland, unless the Cavs somehow put a superstar next to him, which didn't happen in 7 years.

People are always ragging on him for never winning a title, and thus, claiming he is overrated. Now, they're complaining that he's ring chasing. He can't win with the public, so he might as well go and try to win championships.

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
LeBron why did you go to Miami?? :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

d00d
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
why wouldn't he be a legend in Cleveland when all the players Gumbel mentioned are yet they never won anything?

Wade>You
07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
why wouldn't he be a legend in Cleveland when all the players Gumbel mentioned are yet they never won anything?Imagine Michael Jordan with no championships. I don't see him as the #1 player in the history of basketball without 6 rings to back it up. Not even top 20 all time. He'd be overrated. We wouldn't even be talking about or comparing his legacy to that of every G-F that can be "the next Jordan."

thekmp211
07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
i dont even know where to start

d00d
07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Mods...can we please move all LBJ/Heat threads to their appropriate sub forum?

this is an LBJ thread, but not a Heat thread. And I think it addresses the history of sports more than any team or person and their relationship to championships.

mets77
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
hes rights

tredigs
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
he makes some valid points, can you agree with that? He would have been a legend of the sport just staying in Cleveland

Of course, but can you name one top 10 player all time that doesn't have one? Obviously Baylor, Barkley and Malone are better than 99% of the players to ever come through the league, but the fact that they don't have rings probably leaves them feeling unfulfilled in that regard (each of them left their initial teams in search of a better team, but none were successful).

Beyond that, I'm sure this move wasn't all about rings. It's more than possible that he wanted to leave Cleveland and live his life in an up-tempo, fun city that would cater more towards his lifestyle.

Beyond that, this team isn't guaranteed rings by any means; the top teams are absolutely stacked, so they're going to have to earn these. A decade or two from now all but the most ruthless of haters won't remember him for how he got there, but rather what he did once he was there. That's what determines a players legacy.

daleja424
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
there is nothing wrong with having this in the nba forum... if you dont want to talk about lebron anymore, just dont come into this thread

justinnum1
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Stop ****ing comparing the guy to someone else:facepalm: He wants to create his own legacy...if he can get 4 or 5 rings before he retires he will go down as one of te all time greats. In 20 years people aren't going to be talking about how he went to wade's team when he was 25.

Lebron will probably win 2 or 3 rings being the top dog on his team. For right now tho, these guys have an opportunity to create a dynasty. Seems the only haters are chicago fans because they convinced themselves he would go to Chicago:facepalm: And lakers fans becasue they are scared that there 3 peat is in serious jeopardy. Regardless, the hate is pathetic and makes you look ignorant and petty.

d00d
07-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Bryant Gumbel is not spewing hate, nor is he cussing as you are. I don't see this thread as hateful.

you sig is asking people to bring hate, so your post is very hypocritical

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
stop ****ing comparing the guy to someone else:facepalm: He wants to create his own legacy...if he can get 4 or 5 rings before he retires he will go down as one of te all time greats. In 20 years people aren't going to be talking about how he went to wade's team when he was 25.

Lebron will probably win 2 or 3 rings being the top dog on his team. For right now tho, these guys have an opportunity to create a dynasty. Seems the only haters are chicago fans because they convinced themselves he would go to chicago:facepalm: And lakers fans becasue they are scared that there 3 peat is in serious jeopardy. Regardless, the hate is pathetic and makes you look ignorant and petty.

This^^^.

Bigbadmoffo
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
the dude cannot win. if he puts up stats and loses people say that he isnt great b/c he hasnt won a title. if he goes to a team to win games people say he isn't great because he asked for help. come on people. no matter what he did you were all going to have something negative to say.

The question is, what do ppl think of Lebron that aren't miami, cleveland, chicago, nets or knicks fans. I'm neither and i think leaving your home team after 2 60 game win seasons is wrong and will ruin his legacy. I use to think he had potential to surpass Jordan.Now even if he won 10 title i still wouldn't put him aboveJordan.

rmonte4
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Imagine Michael Jordan with no championships. I don't see him as the #1 player in the history of basketball without 6 rings to back it up. Not even top 20 all time. He'd be overrated. We wouldn't even be talking about or comparing his legacy to that of every G-F that can be "the next Jordan."

Gumbel has a point, and ^ is the dumbest thing ive heard all day. (and people said some dumb crap to me today)

tredigs
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Bryant Gumbel is not spewing hate, nor is he cussing as you are. I don't see this thread as hateful.

you sig is asking people to bring hate, so your post is very hypocritical

Accompanied by your sig, I see it as bitter. I'm thinking that you wouldn't be joining the Lebron hate threads had he gone to Chi to play with a current allstar/franchise player and budding superstar in D. Rose, an elite PF in Boozer and entering Jordan's house. But those threads would be popping up EVERY day, with the exact same hate expelled as you see from the "**** the heat" threads.

He would have been a fool to stay in Cle with that aging, and obviously playoff incompetent cast. I'm glad we get to see what he can do with a true cast around him (though I actually wish he did go to Chicago, because I wanted to see Rose/Lebron/Boozer/Noah vs. Wade/Bosh + whatever solid signings they could get with Lebron's cap space. Regardless, he made his decision and it is what it is; not going to waste energy being angry/bitter at someone I don't know because he's making his own decision that he's completely entitled to).

loveofthegame87
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Gumbel thinks that he hurt his image and his character just to win rings.There's a saying ''winning cures all'', but in this case Bryant Gumbel doesn't seem to think so.

FNM BOY
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
why wouldn't he be a legend in Cleveland when all the players Gumbel mentioned are yet they never won anything?

You guys are just saying all this jiberish now...if he stayed in Cleveland all of you would be squacking and mocking over his inability of not winning a ring...now all of a sudden people wanna flip the script...life's amazing....love ya self Lebron no matter what decision you made thse hypociritical haters would find something to get on you about...this life is really funny.....**** the critics...DO U BRUH!!!

Bigbadmoffo
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Miami fans of course you're gonna defend the guy he went to your team. Try and see things like his though. If Wade was born in Miami and they finished first overall and the ownership went well over the tax threshold only to see him chase rings with another superstar, would you lose respect for him?

FNM BOY
07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Accompanied by your sig, I see it as bitter. I'm thinking that you wouldn't be joining the Lebron hate threads had he gone to Chi to play with a current allstar/franchise player and budding superstar in D. Rose, an elite PF in Boozer and entering Jordan's house. But those threads would be popping up EVERY day, with the exact same hate expelled as you see from the "**** the heat" threads.

He would have been a fool to stay in Cle with that aging, and obviously playoff incompetent cast. I'm glad we get to see what he can do with a true cast around him (though I actually wish he did go to Chicago, because I wanted to see Rose/Lebron/Boozer/Noah vs. Wade/Bosh + whatever solid signings they could get with Lebron's cap space. Regardless, he made his decision and it is what it is; not going to waste energy being angry/bitter at someone I don't know because he's making his own decision that he's completely entitled to).

Thank YOU!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:...thats all it is bitterness....if Lebron went t Chicago it would be so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet for them!! Its amazing how one man can have so many people's juices flowing :D

Ticket Guy
07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
These MIAMI fans don't get it. They barely understand history and legends. They previously have one Dan Marino other than that the entire sports nation of Miami consists of band wagon fans. Miami purchased two world series in recent history if you recall. One in 1997 and one in 2003. These fans are going to come storming back at these statements but these statements are facts. Where were they for the past 5 years. How about the half empty stadium since Shaq left.

Now I'm not writing this to start a war with these people, I couldn't care less. In fact in any of my recent posts I've completely forced myself to not mention this disgrace of a franchise.

Bottom line is, history will judge this more than we will now. No matter how many championships are won the tag that has aligned itself with Wade & James in Miami will never fade. I used to respect Wade as much as any player in the NBA.

In recent weeks I cannot remember having less respect for any players in history as I now do for Dwayne Wade & LeBron James. That night, the events and statements leading to that night, the world trade center comment etc. They really don't seem to understand much as far as what is acceptable and respected and what isn't. They both have shown they don't care for history or legacy either.

Anyone who states no one will be talking about what has happened this month 20 years from now is completely not aware of history. We may forgive someone who bets on his team, someone retires without a championship (aka: team sports) but we will never forget how 1 person decided to hijack a sports nation, leave a city in rubble and join forces in his prime like no other athlete in team sports history.

As I said the other day imagine if Michael Jordan and Karl Malone would've joined Charles Barkley in Philadelphia in 1990. Utah Jazz & Chicago Bulls would've never had there ever lasting legacy that they gained in the decade.

I have nothing more to say, I am not a hateful person, that night that the self proclaimed *king* announced his decision, I didn't want him to be a Chicago Bull. I pondered it for days before on how exciting it could be. It is as much as the approach as it is the act itself. We don't respect Sammy Sosa here anymore either. All I know is Chicago has always done it the right way, with class.

Bulls 6 Championships - Heat 0
White Sox/Cubs 5 Championships- Marlins 2
Bears 9 Championships- Dolphins 1
Blackhawks 4 Championships- Panthers lol
<br>

still1ballin
07-19-2010, 09:47 PM
He is right.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Stop ****ing comparing the guy to someone else:facepalm: He wants to create his own legacy...if he can get 4 or 5 rings before he retires he will go down as one of te all time greats. In 20 years people aren't going to be talking about how he went to wade's team when he was 25.

Lebron will probably win 2 or 3 rings being the top dog on his team. For right now tho, these guys have an opportunity to create a dynasty. Seems the only haters are chicago fans because they convinced themselves he would go to Chicago:facepalm: And lakers fans becasue they are scared that there 3 peat is in serious jeopardy. Regardless, the hate is pathetic and makes you look ignorant and petty.

wow...did you even read the article...or did you just miss the point all together.

Doesn't matter what James does...he already screwed his legacy in the public opinion by taking the easy way out...and being a douche in how he handled it.

Good luck with that...no matter how many rings he wins, he showed the type of person he is which, as this article pointed out, is probably a bigger tell all about someones "legacy" than the number of rings at the end of their career.

FNM BOY
I cant wait to to see Lebron average a triple double this season...I'm not a Heat fan...but all this hate this kid is getting is really unfair!!!..thats ok....hahahah Lebron is going to make all of your stomachs turn this season...u'll be pulling against him but he will just be a relentless beast spoilin your nights...u dont have to believe or accept it....but its coming...call him all the names you like.... but when its all said and done Lebron would have done his thing......keep on hating people just gonna make it more sweeter!!!!!

Bigbadmoffo
Thank YOU!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:...thats all it is bitterness....if Lebron went t Chicago it would be so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet for them!! Its amazing how one man can have so many people's juices flowing :D

You guys are missing the point. What Lebron did to his home was disrespecful. I'm a Raps fan and i think Bosh leaving was smart choice for him and the right one. He Owes nothing to Toronto it's not his home, We didn't make the playoffs ect. Of course the Bulls and any other team wuld defend him if they got him. This is about the general public though and the majority have lost respect for him. Did i hate the lakers for having a b.s team...Yes i did bu did i think Kobe was a trader or a dick...No i didn't i just hated how bad he beat us.

Bigbadmoffo
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I cant wait to to see Lebron average a triple double this season...I'm not a Heat fan...but all this hate this kid is getting is really unfair!!!..thats ok....hahahah Lebron is going to make all of your stomachs turn this season...u'll be pulling against him but he will just be a relentless beast spoilin your nights...u dont have to be live or accept it....but its coming...call him all the names you like.... but when its all said and done Lebron would have done his thing......keep on hating people just gonna make it more sweeter!!!!!

You don't get it. It doesn't matter if he averages 40, 20 and 20 he will still be considered a trader and ring chaser.

ATX
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
These MIAMI fans don't get it. They barely understand history and legends. They previously have one Dan Marino other than that the entire sports nation of Miami consists of band wagon fans. Miami purchased two world series in recent history if you recall. One in 1997 and one in 2003. These fans are going to come storming back at these statements but these statements are facts. Where were they for the past 5 years. How about the half empty stadium since Shaq left.

Now I'm not writing this to start a war with these people, I couldn't care less. In fact in any of my recent posts I've completely forced myself to not mention this disgrace of a franchise.

Bottom line is, history will judge this more than we will now. No matter how many championships are won the tag that has aligned itself with Wade & James in Miami will never fade. I used to respect Wade as much as any player in the NBA.

In recent weeks I cannot remember having less respect for any players in history as I now do for Dwayne Wade & LeBron James. That night, the events and statements leading to that night, the world trade center comment etc. They really don't seem to understand much as far as what is acceptable and respected and what isn't. They both have shown they don't care for history or legacy either.

Anyone who states no one will be talking about what has happened this month 20 years from now is completely not aware of history. We may forgive someone who bets on his team, someone retires without a championship (aka: team sports) but we will never forget how 1 person decided to hijack a sports nation, leave a city in rubble and join forces in his prime like no other athlete in team sports history.

As I said the other day imagine if Michael Jordan and Karl Malone would've joined Charles Barkley in Philadelphia in 1990. Utah Jazz & Chicago Bulls would've never had there ever lasting legacy that they gained in the decade.

I have nothing more to say, I am not a hateful person, that night that the self proclaimed *king* announced his decision, I didn't want him to be a Chicago Bull. I pondered it for days before on how exciting it could be. It is as much as the approach as it is the act itself. We don't respect Sammy Sosa here anymore either. All I know is Chicago has always done it the right way, with class.

Jesus Christ man. Someone's bitter. So full of hate for people you don't even know.

...And yes the Heat do have a championship...from just a few years ago. Proves what you know. The Dolphins also have 2 championships...Stop making shyte up. ...And you combine and compare the White sox and the Cubs as having more championships than the Marlins, who are a waaaay younger franchise...

JLynn943
07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
who cares? LeBron was never going to win over any of you anyway. I'm not a fan of him or any of the teams he left/had talks with but didn't go to, but the hating on this forum is mostly just for hate's sake.

The point of competitive sports is to win. This is the most promising way to win. It's simple. LeBron would have been an idiot not to go to Miami.

Maybe some of you will understand that, but I doubt it.

Shaddix
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Eh, Heat suck.

Bigbadmoffo
07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
You're probably right but it did hurt his reputation and how he willbe rememberd. Lebron was never my fav player but i always had respect same goes for Wade and Kobe but after this i have no respect for Lebron. To spit on your own home is just messed up.

ATX
who cares? LeBron was never going to win over any of you anyway. I'm not a fan of him or any of the teams he left/had talks with but didn't go to, but the hating on this forum is mostly just for hate's sake.

The point of competitive sports is to win. This is the most promising way to win. It's simple. LeBron would have been an idiot not to go to Miami.

:clap:

Love for all the non haters.

FNM BOY
You don't get it. It doesn't matter if he averages 40, 20 and 20 he will still be considered a trader and ring chaser.

You are only an opinion...and he doesnt care what u think by the way...u know of him..... he doesnt even know you exist...he could careless what u think :D...keep hating :clap:..He doesnt owe Cleveland anything..he gave them everything he had...because of him that city was recognized world wide....they never brought him any legitimate help only wash up bums who could play regular season but who flopped when it mattered most...say what u like...every "great player" who won it all had a superstar/ hall famer next to them...Lebron never had it...Shaq cant even count because he was a washed up bum...but keep hating....this kid has suffered enough...do ya thing Bron..let the haters fuel ya beast mode to kill teams!!

jiggin
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM

The point of the league is to keep the sport competitive. Planning a coup that piles talent on one team so you can win is not following that competitive spirit of the game, nor is it making the league more competitive or challenging. Most players want the challenge of beating these same players...not trying to join forces to easily get a ring.

As for the future...they are already trying to make little of losing streaks or the fact that they may not win title after title (thus Wade's recent 911 comment). They have to do this because they built it up so big that it will raise SO MANY QUESTIONS if they don't bring home 5-6 titles.

They set themselves up for failure in my opinion...since everyone just is assuming at this point they will run away with it for 5-6 years.

FNM BOY
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM

Thank you...I guess if some of them lived in suck circumstances for most of their lives, and they got an opportunity to have a better way of life they would turn it down...funny the way people think when things are not in their favor.

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM

<br>

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

What an ignorant mud@fkking but-hurt arsehole you are! Heat has no championship and you comment Heat fans don't know the history and legends? Get a life please. It's only sports and LeBron is only a sportsman. Life is bigger than sports. No need to lose sleep just because LeBron is not a bull.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
You are only an opinion...and he doesnt care what u think by the way...u know of him..... he doesnt even know you exist...he could careless what u think :D...keep hating :clap:..He doesnt owe Cleveland anything..he gave them everything he had...because of him that city was recognized world wide....they never brought him any legitimate help only wash up bums who could play regular season but who flopped when it mattered most...say what u like...every "great player" who won it all had a superstar/ hall famer next to them...Lebron never had it...Shaq cant even count because he was a washed up bum...but keep hating....this kid has suffered enough...do ya thing Bron..let the haters fuel ya beast mode to kill teams!!

if it were just this one guy...you would have a point. but most the media, most the HOF players, some owners and a HUGE NBA fan following all feel the same way. LBJ can say he cares less...but he isn't thinking about the future and how people will view this. Right now, it looks like he is a douche, and that is the public opinion.

I can't wait for 1 or more of these guys to get into trouble with the miami south beach nightlife seen. LBJ and gang are way too into trying to look cool and be "the man" to not get into some trouble. And when they do, the media and NBA fan base across the country will tack it into their memory of what this guy or these guys are all about...adding to how history views them.

Anyone who thinks past right now would be concerned with that...of course that would take a grown up with a healthy mature mind set on life and it not being just about the present.

JLynn943
07-19-2010, 10:17 PM
The point of the league is to keep the sport competitive. Planning a coup that piles talent on one team so you can win is not following that competitive spirit of the game, nor is it making the league more competitive or challenging. Most players want the challenge of beating these same players...not trying to join forces to easily get a ring.

As for the future...they are already trying to make little of losing streaks or the fact that they may not win title after title (thus Wade's recent 911 comment). They have to do this because they built it up so big that it will raise SO MANY QUESTIONS if they don't bring home 5-6 titles.

They set themselves up for failure in my opinion...since everyone just is assuming at this point they will run away with it for 5-6 years.

While it is in the best interest of the league if the teams are competitive, the players compete because they ultimately want to win. It's the end goal of competition. This is the best way for these players to win. Is it good for the sport? Probably not. But it's great for these players.

It's not like the season will be a cake walk. Every team will be gunning for them. They will be getting the best out of other teams every night. And how does this not make the league more challenging? There is a team that is likely going to require every team's best to beat. This is a huge challenge for everyone.

I agree 100% though that they have set themselves up for failure. The Heat are so insanely hyped that they already are doing damage control for when they inevitably lose a game. One game. Ridiculous. Anything less than a title every year will be made out to be a massive failure by all of the haters.

Magic Bean Fury
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I think what everyone is trying to get at is that everyone thinks (except for the team that gets two top 5 players) if you are considered a top 5 player in the league you should have your own team. I'm a laker fan and I don't care what happened. Gonna make for some good competition. If I was choosing a city to be in Miami ( half cuban women and the weather) kicks Cleveland's ***. But these guys can afford to be wherever they want on any given night. We've seen other top 5 players team up but not while they've still been considered top five at that time. For example, when Malone joined Lakers he was not top five but obviously was at one time. Wade and LeBron were #1 and #2 in the PER (if you think that's worth anything) last year and are entering or in prime. As for Bosh, because he was the only guy in Toronto he looked an awful lot better with all those touches. Interesting to see what happens to his game. Anyway, I ain't hatin' but just thinkin' I would think watching Wade dunkin on Lebron or vice versa would be cooler than them hugging and skipping.

CALIABQLKRS
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM

LOL DUDE! are u serious??? The heat have not won anything yet... There is nothing guaranteed in sports.. Just ask Grant hill or Mike Tyson (Noone knew who the hell Buster Douglas was til he knocked out tyson) or the Yankees.. The most talented team doesnt always win.. I wouldnt be talkin all this mess until they actually do have a ring, cuz I mean how pathetic would it be if they didnt win a ring.. And are u serious lebron can win 2-3 rings as the top dog?? when has he proven he can actually win 1 ring as the top dog?? he had 7 years to do that.. If he is the "best" player in the NBA, howcome he couldnt win?? Just face it, hes the "king" of stats.. The dude will never be in the same sentence as MJ or Kobe ever again.. I mean right now Wade is even more succesful.. Get over it.. It is what it is.. Quit trying to defend a follower

And the Lakers and the Lakers fans are scared??
Why the hell would we be scared for?? I think we are more concerned of the thunder than anyone else.. Maybe in 3 years or so when Kobe is on his last leg, then we would be scared... But then again in 3 years, the big 3 might not even be there.. it might be a total disaster in Miami..
My point is dont get too cocky heat fans.. cuz u never know how things will end up... I would get the first ring first and then u can talk all the mess you want.. and by the way I have no problem with the 3 stooges, I think its gnna be exciting.. as long as it doesnt turn into a disaster.. cuz i dont really wanna hear all the heat fans excuses..

basketfan4life
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
so,there is not a single miami fan who thinks "i'm so glad that lbj came to my team but on the other hand he is not the player/person/leader/competitor/legend/the chosen one we made him to be,and people have some valid reasons to like him less then before"???

no?really?

isn't that feels weird that only miami fans think the same way about lebron as before and all they say is you hate him because he didn't went to your team?

Wade>You
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
The point of the league is to keep the sport competitive. Planning a coup that piles talent on one team so you can win is not following that competitive spirit of the game, nor is it making the league more competitive or challenging. Most players want the challenge of beating these same players...not trying to join forces to easily get a ring.You sure about that? Isn't it the GMs and President's responsibility for their respective team to keep their team competitive? Could've sworn...

Wade>You
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Maybe some of you will understand that, but I doubt it.Thank you for speaking out and spitting venom at the haters.

VinceCarter
07-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe heíll get one, maybe he wonít, but itís probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux canít make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring canít make one truly a champion.

1) great points above

2)I think people need to understand that if LeBron never left Cleveland which would give him another 8+ years of elite play. You cannot tell me through those 8+ years he is not going to get a championship sometime. Yes he didn't get one in the past 7 but those are just more knowledge to the Cavs on what they need to surround LeBron with.

SupeUnagi
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
shut the hell up

masalex1205
07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Dear Miami fans,

There has been a lot of hate for Lebron James, a good portion of which has been unjustified. However, stop being blind zealots for Lebron James and anything he does like you're his press secretary.

Signed,

Everyone

PS: Oh Im sorry, haterz gon hate right?

Ticket Guy
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
LOL....I forgot the Heat won once. Woops. Look at those responses by these angry Miami Band Wagon EES

WITZ
07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Lebron took the easy way out and he will never be looked upon as the same player.People put to much blame oh the cavs never got a suitable running mate for the queen sad thing is that in the last 3 weeks he has done more recruiting for the heat then he ever did for the cavs.As skip bayless said the queen is a front runner and always has been one.

x23cbru24x
07-19-2010, 10:55 PM
this guys brother has an awesome voice for cbs football games

masalex1205
07-19-2010, 10:56 PM

What an ignorant mud@fkking but-hurt arsehole you are! Heat has no championship and you comment Heat fans don't know the history and legends? Get a life please. It's only sports and LeBron is only a sportsman. Life is bigger than sports. No need to lose sleep just because LeBron is not a bull.

And this is why people hate the Miami sports fan, because he doesn't think sports is as essential to life as breathing, because they aren't going to lose sleep over a big loss, because they honestly just don't care that much about sports.

Ask a Boston fan about their passion for the Red Sox, or anybody on Tobacco Road (where Im from) about college basketball, or what a New Yorker thinks about the Knicks. These people live and die for sports its the only thing that they live for, the only thing that gets them through the day.

There will always be the Knicks fans on PSD, sticking up for their team no matter how much they suck yet a city that would just as soon go to the beach is getting a potential dynasty.

But "haterz gon hate" right? sorry i forgot...

VinceCarter
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
shut the hell up

We got a mouthy new guy :facepalm:

strokeman
07-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes, he made some valid points; but I doubt he would be a legend by losing in Cleveland, unless the Cavs somehow put a superstar next to him, which didn't happen in 7 years.

People are always ragging on him for never winning a title, and thus, claiming he is overrated. Now, they're complaining that he's ring chasing. He can't win with the public, so he might as well go and try to win championships.

LBJ was already a living legend to many fans! LBJ prove all the people that were always always ragging on him about being overrated RIGHT! :mad:

Grand Master B
07-19-2010, 11:10 PM

the only one looking ignorant are you heat fans that have their heads in the sand. get a clue man! Everybody is saying this is a joke of a way to get a ring. And by the way, he could win 7 and no one will call him the greatest because of what he has done. That is WHAT EVERYONE IS SAYING! when the greatest of the game are saying its a bad move then guess what.....

The Final Boss
07-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Lebron's a clown, always has been, always will be. Wade with his 9/11 comments and "Dino the Last Dinosaur" fall into the same category.

I guarantee you Dirk, Lee, Nash, Pau, etc...wouldn't pull these kind of acts. Funny how you guys wouldn't buy these guys jerseys even though they have class but choose instead to poor more money into the bank accounts of the aforementioned clowns who don't give a **** about you...

But keep defending them, Lord knows they'd do the same for you.

ElMarroAfamado
07-19-2010, 11:15 PM
this is probably the best piece and excerpt in relation to lebron james decision....
how even if he didnt win **** he could have gone down as a "hero" "savior" etc....
but now, hes not gonna win **** aaaaand be hated.....

carlessyen
07-19-2010, 11:19 PM
LOL all these heat fans arguing with Legends. Hate to break it to you they know way moer about the game , and they are right. His story in Cleveland woulda been, will he ever get a ring , people woulda loved him he woulda kept trying and trying sooner or later won. And been a hero, now he went to Hollywood Miami lol. ANd its all tarnished. He will win more then one maybe and they will say they couldnt beat em so they had to join them. You can say all you want how winning title sis the most important and all this but there are still real fans and lovers of the game that old loyalty, rivalry, and respect above all else, and they are called true fans, players of the game, and legends.

Knick_Fever
07-19-2010, 11:25 PM
So which is it:

(B) Or will staying on bad team where he can pad his stats and never win secure his legacy?

I'm going with (C): None, because LeBron can't do right in the eyes of the "holier than thou" public.

Then what would Jordan have done? Oh yeah we already know what the greatest player ever said.

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
[/B]

And this is why people hate the Miami sports fan, because he doesn't think sports is as essential to life as breathing, because they aren't going to lose sleep over a big loss, because they honestly just don't care that much about sports.

Ask a Boston fan about their passion for the Red Sox, or anybody on Tobacco Road (where Im from) about college basketball, or what a New Yorker thinks about the Knicks. These people live and die for sports its the only thing that they live for, the only thing that gets them through the day.

There will always be the Knicks fans on PSD, sticking up for their team no matter how much they suck yet a city that would just as soon go to the beach is getting a potential dynasty.

Since you highlighted my statement "Life is bigger than sports" I am assuming you think "Sport is bigger than life." Well then all I gotta do is give some :facepalm::facepalm: to you for your ignorance. Know that sport is a part of life, not the other way around.

MacFitz92
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Anyway you look at it, Jordan was right. He didn't want to team up with Bird or Magic, he wanted to beat them.

ROSEBULL
07-19-2010, 11:34 PM
A true Champion wants to compete against the best... Not play with them.

pervysage808
07-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Gumbel is entitled to his opinion and it was a pretty well thought out one at that...a little deeper than we would like opinions to be, concerning athletes, when coming from Gumbel anyways.
I respect his opinion, but i have to disagree almost entirely with it. I firmly believe that Lebron James loves to win and he saw the best opportunity to win alongside Bosh and Wade down in Miami. Now one can argue that "well he was winning in Cleveland" , but winning games is not the only thing that drives Lebron to be the best he can be every single day of his life.
His committment to being physically prepared for the sport of basketball is as plain as the eyes can see...LBJ is like a perfectly engineered engine and performs as one too. Making sure that he stays prepared mentally for the game is also very clear for us to see, as he has been the sole leader and floor general for the Cavaliers team in all his 7 years in the league.
Lebron James also has to balance his business life, his finances and his family life all while preparing for one of the most greuling seasons in all of sports, the NBA 82 game regular season and its playoff season. He has dozens if not hundreds of people everyday, from all walks of life, trying to reach him and his marketing company for various different reasons, whether it be business related, marketing, or media related and some just to get a piece of his pie.
You would think this would be alot for one person to handle, you would think it would be a lot to even process....where would one find any time to sleep, let alone make any sort of decision in a timely manner as everyone expects from him?
If that aint enough? then imagine having an entire city place the burdens of many winless generations squarely on your shoulder, in hopes to have you carry them to victory in one hand and secure your image, your status, and your legacy in your other?...now think about this....he is only 25 years old....shame on us for asking that of this young man, shame on us for making him Clevelands saviour, shame on us for putting him on that pedastal and shame on us for comparing this 25 year old with the games greatest performer (Michael Jordan)....how irresponsible we are.
Lebron James holds "winning at a higher priority"? well is that not the object of the game of Basketball? ...to win!? is that not why you put the orange ball more times through the basketball hoop, than the opposing team? is that not why they keep a score? to decide a winner of the match?....i mean come on people, this is getting ridiculously stupid!!!!! he is entitled to go wherever the hell he wants! who in the world said emulating Michael Jordan makes you great? if MJ is the best basketball player the game has ever had because of his rings, then Bill Russel is the greatest player in the known universe!!!!!! i mean he has 11!!!! why are we comparing every young star to Jordan? i mean in comparison to Russel, Jordan sucks! he is not even half the champion Russel was...so quit it with all the Jordan being the measuring stick for greatness...Jordan was the games greatest performer..meaning he was the Michael Jackson of the league, nothing more.
Lebron James will win rings, he will win more accolades aside from that too and I will be cheering for him every step of the way because that is what true sports fans do, they appreciate winners and not sob and cry on the internet about how much they hate an athlete or how much they do not deserve everything they have because of their careers.
Appreciate what we are seeing here, these are the young rising stars of the NBA trying to do the best they can to play together even if it means taking pay cuts...that means winning is of a higher priority...over money.....and you can let that marinate on your mind a little bit Gumbel.

ROSEBULL
07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Well you must really appreciate Kobe

The Final Boss
07-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Kobe was posturing.

Illinirob83
07-20-2010, 12:19 AM
what is the obsession of people trying to describe other people's emotion to a subject? People are passionate about things, they are going to show emotion to such things. Why are people worried and miss the point of things by asking "u mad'???? You are bitter and angry and are just a hater....garbage. People having strong opinions about things now become something to despise and make fun of? What the hell has happened where that has become the norm? Stop trying to analyze people's emotions through a message board post and have a discussion about what the person actually wrote and his point.

ah.....u mad?
ah.....u bitter?
ah.....u hater?
ah.....u angry?

Grow up and have a discussion. People just assume people are hating because he didn't join their team........if they really think that then what is the point of debating and discussing things with a brick wall?

Gumbel isn't hating anyone, and he has a very very sound point.

sargon21
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
95% of non-miami fans agree with the notion that lebron should have stayed in cleveland or gone somewhere he could win AND be the MAN on the team, so either NY or most likely CHI(better chance than NY to win), to both secure a legacy AND win, those both can just not be achieved in Miami

SupeUnagi
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
95% of non-miami fans agree with the notion that lebron should have stayed in cleveland or gone somewhere he could win AND be the MAN on the team, so either NY or most likely CHI(better chance than NY to win), to both secure a legacy AND win, those both can just not be achieved in Miami

98% of the Earth's population would like to know where you got that statistic

defender4m
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM
this guys brother has an awesome voice for cbs football games

hahah

papisupremo
07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
i think there are basically two kindsa posters on this thread. those like me (non-heat fans, knicks all day!) that play madden on all-madden, and the "u mad boyz" that play madden on rookie.

am i disappointed lebron didnt go to the knicks? yeah, but i coulda accepted if he had gone somewhere other than the heat or the bulls. and i only say bulls because as a knicks fan, bulls are my most hated franchise in all of sports. and jordan was the athlete i most hate in all sports. was. at least jordan was a competitor. he woulda called up EA sports and made em put in a harder difficulty level. he woulda been on the madden bus on espn tryin to take the crown. the only thing i hate worse than ppl that ruined 90's basketball for me are pussees. like lebron.

but anyway, i think what gumbel was tryin to say is that rings dont make you a champ, beating the best does. if i entered the special olympics, i would kick ***, but does that make me a champ? no, that makes me a douchebag.

Southsideheat
07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
When you're self-proclaimed "The King," blatantly wear #23, do the powder thing, say you want to be a billionaire, you get everything you deserve. That's how the world works. I don't feel bad for Lebron James. He wanted it, but now at 25, he realizes he didn't have what it takes to be that. At least he's happy, but he deserves the backlash.

Aapox
07-20-2010, 01:40 AM
i think there are basically two kindsa posters on this thread. those like me (non-heat fans, knicks all day!) that play madden on all-madden, and the "u mad boyz" that play madden on rookie.

am i disappointed lebron didnt go to the knicks? yeah, but i coulda accepted if he had gone somewhere other than the heat or the bulls. and i only say bulls because as a knicks fan, bulls are my most hated franchise in all of sports. and jordan was the athlete i most hate in all sports. was. at least jordan was a competitor. he woulda called up EA sports and made em put in a harder difficulty level. he woulda been on the madden bus on espn tryin to take the crown. the only thing i hate worse than ppl that ruined 90's basketball for me are pussees. like lebron.

but anyway, i think what gumbel was tryin to say is that rings dont make you a champ, beating the best does. if i entered the special olympics, i would kick ***, but does that make me a champ? no, that makes me a douchebag.

Wow this post is awful. Your metaphor to madden is terrible and neither here nor there. And what Gumbel is trying to say (I only read the insert) is that staying loyal to your franchise, and more importantly, the fan base you've created there is what builds your legacy.

HoopsDrive
07-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Of course, but can you name one top 10 player all time that doesn't have one? Obviously Baylor, Barkley and Malone are better than 99% of the players to ever come through the league, but the fact that they don't have rings probably leaves them feeling unfulfilled in that regard (each of them left their initial teams in search of a better team, but none were successful).

Beyond that, I'm sure this move wasn't all about rings. It's more than possible that he wanted to leave Cleveland and live his life in an up-tempo, fun city that would cater more towards his lifestyle.

Beyond that, this team isn't guaranteed rings by any means; the top teams are absolutely stacked, so they're going to have to earn these. A decade or two from now all but the most ruthless of haters won't remember him for how he got there, but rather what he did once he was there. That's what determines a players legacy.

Exactly. It's like people talk as if he committed a crime by going to Miami. He had his own reasons to go there and that is his own to make. He made a mistake with the media drama and all but to say that his move to Miami was a bad move?

Worst of all is people going around saying that even with 6+ rings his legacy is tarnished from now on. That's bull****. 6+ rings can secure anyone's legacy. Now tell me he could of been considered the GOAT without winning A SINGLE RING in Cleveland. I dare anyone to say that.

HoopsDrive
07-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Anyway you look at it, Jordan was right. He didn't want to team up with Bird or Magic, he wanted to beat them.

Right about what? He is entitled to say that he would rather compete against those guys but that is it. What LBJ did can't be described as right or wrong. Why is it wrong that he wants to play with Wade and Bosh who are his friends irl? Why is it wrong that he wanted out of Cleveland? Why is it right that he should have stayed in Cleveland or better for him to have gone anywhere but Miami to form the big 3? You can't give me an honest answer here because there's no right or wrong there.

And don't give me that load of **** that it's because of competition and whatnot. That doesn't make LBJ's decision a wrong.

t_money25
07-20-2010, 02:28 AM

Lebron has the right to go to whatever team he wanted to go to. All you and your make believe 95% of fans are too infatuated with Lebron to understand that. If you think he wouldn't have gotten the same backlash if he went to Chicago or NY you're crazy. It was a no win situation for him no matter what team he left Cleveland for.

d00d
07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
what is the obsession of people trying to describe other people's emotion to a subject? People are passionate about things, they are going to show emotion to such things. Why are people worried and miss the point of things by asking "u mad'???? You are bitter and angry and are just a hater....garbage. People having strong opinions about things now become something to despise and make fun of? What the hell has happened where that has become the norm? Stop trying to analyze people's emotions through a message board post and have a discussion about what the person actually wrote and his point.

ah.....u mad?
ah.....u bitter?
ah.....u hater?
ah.....u angry?

Grow up and have a discussion. People just assume people are hating because he didn't join their team........if they really think that then what is the point of debating and discussing things with a brick wall?

Gumbel isn't hating anyone, and he has a very very sound point.

Well said.

An intelligent articulate man writes a well thought out piece about Lebron and our culture of winning at all costs and the replies have really shown some weak brain power.

"haters gun hate" and "u mad" and similar ghetto talk doesn't refute Gumbel's article.

The loudest mouth with the foulest stench does not win the argument.

The point of Gumbel's statement has not been refuted by any of the replies so far.

Someone care to take on the valid points of Butkus, Ewing, Baylor, etc being legends and icons and heroes yet never winning a ring?

Or do you just want to type more 6th grade myspace level garbage?

Gibby23
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Just let the man do his thing. He handled it wrong with the hour special on ESPN, but he had to leave. It's good that he left at a young age instead of wasting more year on a aging bad team. He would have turned out like Iverson and KG (KG got one, but could have had more). Let his career play out before you put a label on him.

mamba24
07-20-2010, 11:07 AM
So which is it:

im gonna say lebron was on a pretty good team... best regular season record in the league 2 yrs in a row. with byron scott as their coach i think they woulda had a much better shot a winning a title... lebron did take an easier path to POSSIBLY get a title. lebron staying in cleveland would not have caused any uproar like him having an hour long espn special and then throwing it in clevlands face by leaving. i think a free agent has the right to go anywhere he wants personally. i think he shouldve told cleveland much earlier that he wasnt coming back. he knew he wasnt no matter what he said. he is gonna try to save face now. i think lebron woulda become more of a sports icon had he won in cleveland. he may end up becoming a champion in miami but winning with bosh and wade will always leave the "ya he couldnt win without 3 of the top 10 players in the nba on his team... it will be just like "kobe cant win without shaq" but on a much greater scale... because IMO lebron has more freakish talent than kobe. i still think kobe is the best in the nba but lebron is... well... was the future of this league... now he handed that right over to kevin durant... soooo good luck lebron... hopefully he manages to choke in miami...

mamba24
07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Imagine Michael Jordan with no championships. I don't see him as the #1 player in the history of basketball without 6 rings to back it up. Not even top 20 all time. He'd be overrated. We wouldn't even be talking about or comparing his legacy to that of every G-F that can be "the next Jordan."

jordan didnt leave chicago to win rings... nor did he call up magic and bird and say "hey lets all play together"... that is where lebron's legacy is gonna take a blow. due to who he is now playing with he will not be considered a top 10 player of all time...

NYK|NYY
07-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Can't fault Lebron for wanting help to win a championship, but the amount of help is ridiculous and that's why he will take the hit in his legacy.

awmathewsjr
07-20-2010, 11:17 AM
So which is it:

Calling Cleveland a bad team is kinda going overboard. They lead the league in wins for two years straight, bad teams don't do that.

mamba24
07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

not gonna lie... i cant stand lebron... i have never ever liked him... i still think the guy has a right to do whatever he wants in free agency... he didnt owe anything to cleveland. i think eventually he woulda got a ring there but he saw a better opportunity. 1 RING ALONE IN CLEVELAND WOULDVE MEANT MORE TO HIS LEGACY THAN 3 RINGS IN MIAMI WITH WADE AND BOSH. if you disagree with that then you are a total homer/bandwagon fan... i think ht e thing that bugs me is how he went about his "decision"... and then all the heat fans who now talk more trash than any other group of fans on psd...

Double_R
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I think it's so funny to see all of these Heat fans and wagoners be the first to jump to Lebron's defense, when they used to be the first to condemn... Listen Heats fans he has never played a game for the Heat, until he does so stop sucking his d***... It's cool to be like yea we got Lebron, but yea we're not ignorant of the fact of what he did to Cleveland and his legacy... Stop living in denial, be happy you got Lebron and that's it, we don't need 2 week Lebron fans coming to his defense 24/7.

mamba24
07-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Since you highlighted my statement "Life is bigger than sports" I am assuming you think "Sport is bigger than life." Well then all I gotta do is give some :facepalm::facepalm: to you for your ignorance. Know that sport is a part of life, not the other way around.

ur just reaching for things to try and make someone feel dumb lol... ive realized i like most players and teams in the nba... its when the teams have ******** fans when i start hoping they losing. u, my friend, have just helped me add the heat to my list of teams that i hope never win again... i cant stand band wagon fans running their mouths... BEFORE THEY HAVE EVEN WON A SINGLE GAME AS A TEAM... WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START! IF THEY WIN THEN RUN YOUR MOUTH ALL YOU WANT!!!! until then lets just staple ur mouth shut...

mamba24
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it's so funny to see all of these Heat fans and wagoners be the first to jump to Lebron's defense, when they used to be the first to condemn... Listen Heats fans he has never played a game for the Heat, until he does so stop sucking his d***... It's cool to be like yea we got Lebron, but yea we're not ignorant of the fact of what he did to Cleveland and his legacy... Stop living in denial, be happy you got Lebron and that's it, we don't need 2 week Lebron fans coming to his defense 24/7.

well said :clap:

mamba24
07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
98% of the Earth's population would like to know where you got that statistic

called sarcasm smart guy

tjlipford
07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Lebron went to Miami to team up with wade and bosh. It gives him the easiest way to win a title. Nothing is guaranteed but it surely does help when u are playing with 2 of the top 10 players in the game.

As a Cleveland native I'm very disappointed how lebron left but that's life. He is still going to be the most dominate basketball player in the game. I take nothing away from his basketball skills.

He is Robin to batman that's all. It's wades team. No if ands or butts about it. He's not THE GUY like MJ or Kobe. It's too hard for lebron, he said it.

Yall Miami fans really have a season to look forward to. No hate here.

mgd24oz
07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Lebron has gotten a free pass for his arrogance, bad sportsmanship and lack of effort at times thus far in his career.....the one time his actions are far beyond classy he gets jumped on by fans...and i think deservedly so....all these Lebron james backers ask yourself this.....what would u be saying if this were Kobe Bryant behaving in this manner......u think there's hate against Lebron now.....it would be tripled if it were Kobe in this particular situation

WeBallin
07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Just let the man do his thing. He handled it wrong with the hour special on ESPN, but he had to leave. It's good that he left at a young age instead of wasting more year on a aging bad team. He would have turned out like Iverson and KG (KG got one, but could have had more). Let his career play out before you put a label on him.

Not Hatin on LBJ cause at the end of the day his journey to a ring will become even more difficult because of his choice to go with other lgeit stars in the league i'm a Pistons fan which is not much to cheer about at this present time but its not different from the showtime lakers an the stacked celtics squad back in the day bottom line to me it gonna make those heat games classic cause every team in the NBA are gonna be gunnin for them for the simple fact they tried to team up, an i only see this bein a good thing, but he should have in my mind stayed in CLE not becuz he spent 7 years in cle w/out title, with the best record in the NBA over the last 2 season he was closer in CLE then he is now with Bosh , Wade an bunch of hasbeens he'll soon discover winnin a chip doesn't happen over night where ever he goes......

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Damn, I had not yet read this article until just now and all I have to say is...

That last paragraph is so perfectly written, I haven't seen anybody say it better yet.

"Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe heíll get one, maybe he wonít, but itís probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux canít make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring canít make one truly a champion"

This can't be argued. I mean, it can be argued by the new heat/lebron fans who have to stick up for their player, but their arguments never use any substance or reasoning. (Not all heat fans are ridiculous, most on here are actually great, same with other teams) Arguments usually consist of, "U Mad?" or "look what happened with the celtics big 3" or "I was sick these past few years, thats why I didn't go to any heat games." Gumbel picked out the spots that most people are upset about and wrote about them perfectly.

Well done Gumbel.

Frezhnitz
07-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Lakers fans? We can hate all we want. The Lakers are back to back champs. No way their 3peat is in jeopardy. The Lakers are a better team.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 02:16 PM

What's ignorant is if you think LeBron will ever be considered one of the legends of the game.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
lebron will be one (most likly top 5) of the greatest of all time, period

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

:laugh2:

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Miami fans are great. What would you guys be saying if he chose the Bulls on "The Decision" He drug Cleveland through the mud in the way he left them and tarnished his legacy so he can win a ring now rather then build up his team he had and earn one. Miami wont win a ring anyway. I don't see this working. Will laugh when it doesnt.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 02:35 PM

is there a reason why u disagree or is a laughing face all u have?

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 02:38 PM

I like how a 60 win team is being compared to the T-Wolves.:facepalm:

Cavs would have been in the finals had Lebron played to his level, and not quit. You could see it in his body language. Guy doesnt know how to lead so he is banking Wade and Riley leading him to a ring. :clap:

SKINZ1017
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
**** lebron

SKINZ1017
07-20-2010, 02:43 PM

:facepalm:

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM
is there a reason why u disagree or is a laughing face all u have?

U MAD? That this person is only responding to you with laughing faces?

Sox Appeal
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Nobody knows if he could win in Cleveland. If he couldn't win in '09, when he had the best individual post-season of all-time, when exactly was he going to win?

This. The same people who will ***** about the rings LeBron will win in Miami, are the same people that constantly ignore all of the great things he does, and only look at the fact that he's never won a championship.

The double standard fans, and the media, hold Lebron to is ridiculous.

Whether the majority fans would like to accept it or not, he's going to retire as one of the 5 best players of all-time (barring injury), and depending on how well he ages (which will be a lot better then most people seem to think), he still has a realistic chance at retiring as the greatest player to ever play the game.

Sox Appeal
07-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Cavs would have been in the finals had Lebron played to his level, and not quit. You could see it in his body language. Guy doesnt know how to lead so he is banking Wade and Riley leading him to a ring. :clap:

Boston had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 9th best players in the series against Cleveland. Even if LBJ played up to his potential, Boston was still the better team, so it shouldn't be considered an upset that they won the series.

I'll admit, it did look like LeBron quit in Game 5, but it's not like he's the only superstar player we've seen do it. Kobe quit against Phoenix in '06, people *****ed about in for awhile, and then eventually everyone forgot. The same thing will happen with LBJs game 5.

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Nobody knows if he could win in Cleveland. If he couldn't win in '09, when he had the best individual post-season of all-time, when exactly was he going to win?

This. The same people who will ***** about the rings LeBron will win in Miami, are the same people that constantly ignore all of the great things he does, and only look at the fact that he's never won a championship.

The double standard fans, and the media, hold Lebron to is ridiculous.

Whether the majority fans would like to accept it or not, he's going to retire as one of the 5 best players of all-time (barring injury), and depending on how well he ages (which will be a lot better then most people seem to think), he still has a realistic chance at retiring as the greatest player to ever play the game.

Personality alone will keep him from being top 5 ever. It is not all about winning. That is what what Gumbel was saying in part. I could careless how many rings he win or has or has not won. Guy is a douche due to how he has portrayed himself. He says he has the best and really he hasnt done anything. Has he won more titles, scoring titles, MVP's or anything then any of the other greats? No. Lebron should shut up, play ball, then tout himslf as the greatest when it is all said and done and he actaully is. Until then he can stop referring to himslf in the 1st person with his "Lebron has to do what is best for Lebron" routine. I still to this day havent heard crap like that come out of the mouth of guys like MJ, Magic, Bird, Stockton, Kobe, Payton, Barkley. Some of those guys dont have rings but are better people then BronBron.

Ethix11
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Wade is the best and HEAT fans always thought this. LeBron is just hyped more for his potential. End of story. That is why LeBron is the #2 option on our team.

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Boston had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 9th best players in the series against Cleveland. Even if LBJ played up to his potential, Boston was still the better team, so it shouldn't be considered an upset that they won the series.

I'll admit, it did look like LeBron quit in Game 5, but it's not like he's the only superstar player we've seen do it. Kobe quit against Phoenix in '06, people *****ed about in for awhile, and then eventually everyone forgot. The same thing will happen with LBJs game 5.

Jamison and Moe Williams are better then quite a few players on Boston. Garnett was crap, Pierce didnt even have a stellar series. Half the guys on that team are on the decline. Lebron didnt step up and lead and make his teammates better.

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Wade is the best and HEAT fans always thought this. LeBron is just hyped more for his potential. End of story. That is why LeBron is the #2 option on our team.

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
These threads on PSD have gotten really stupid in the NBA forums because people turn good threads into fighting.

It's just annoying Heat fans (not everyone; mostly) vs. annoying Haters (not everyone; mostly).

Sox Appeal
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Personality alone will keep him from being top 5 ever. It is not all about winning. That is what what Gumbel was saying in part. I could careless how many rings he win or has or has not won. Guy is a douche due to how he has portrayed himself. He says he has the best and really he hasnt done anything. Has he won more titles, scoring titles, MVP's or anything then any of the other greats? No. Lebron should shut up, play ball, then tout himslf as the greatest when it is all said and done and he actaully is. Until then he can stop referring to himslf in the 1st person with his "Lebron has to do what is best for Lebron" routine. I still to this day havent heard crap like that come out of the mouth of guys like MJ, Magic, Bird, Stockton, Kobe, Payton, Barkley. Some of those guys dont have rings but are better people then BronBron.

We're talking about the best basketball players of all-time, not the basketball players who we most want our children to grow up and be like. In terms of basketball ability, LeBron will go down as one of the 5 best ever, and potentially higher, depending on how well he ages.

Also, I don't think you'll ever hear anyone say MJ was a Saint. Jordan isolated himself from teammates, punch not one, but two of his teammates out at practice, and well, for the lack of a better word, the dude was just a dick. The book the Jordan Rules, by Sam Smith, can go into more detail about that.

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
We're talking about the best basketball players of all-time, not the basketball players who we most want our children to grow up and be like. In terms of basketball ability, LeBron will go down as one of the 5 best ever, and potentially higher, depending on how well he ages.

Also, I don't think you'll ever hear anyone say MJ was a Saint. Jordan isolated himself from teammates, punch not one, but two of his teammates out at practice, and well, for the lack of a better word, the dude was just a dick. The book the Jordan Rules, by Sam Smith, can go into more detail about that.

Dont have to be a nice guy to be a good team mate. Sometimes guys need to be hit. I bet Lebron and Wade will come to blows a few times. That is the problem. Maybe a few guys in Cleveland needed to be punched. Maybe Lebron needs to be punched. Wake the **** up.

Laker Legend42
07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
It's crazy how no one has good feelings about the wonder triplets (except Heat fans) I have a bad feeling about it eventhough I think he had the right to do what he did. What ever happend to compitition? These guys almost seem afraid to compete. I think I will call Wade,Bosh ans Bron the power rangers. Remember when things got tough they had to combine their powers?

Sox Appeal
07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Jamison and Moe Williams are better then quite a few players on Boston. Garnett was crap, Pierce didnt even have a stellar series. Half the guys on that team are on the decline. Lebron didnt step up and lead and make his teammates better.
Look at Jamison and Mo Williams numbers against Boston, and get back to me. They both played like complete ****, the entire series. Mo Williams played a quarter and a half of good basketball, and Jamison only had one good offensive game the entire series, and was a complete non-factor on the glass. LeBrons "supporting cast" was horrible against Boston, this much is not even debatable.

For someone who supposedly quit, and played the worstplayoffserieseverz!1!1, LeBron played a pretty good series. Was it up to his usual standards, obviously no, but a 27/9/7 45% shooting line, against a defensive minded team like Boston, is pretty impressive.

Dont have to be a nice guy to be a good team mate. Sometimes guys need to be hit. I bet Lebron and Wade will come to blows a few times. That is the problem. Maybe a few guys in Cleveland needed to be punched. Maybe Lebron needs to be punched. Wake the **** up.

Err, alright? LeBron is a bad teammate for dragging out the free agency process, but Jordan isn't for punching someone in the face? Makes sense, I suppose.

Scalphunter13
07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I love it how people talk about how many rings "ESPN's" chosen one will win in Miami, like its a given. You haven't seen the team play,they have to beat complete basketball teams like the Lakers, Orlando, Boston, Chicago ......(if i missed any teams sorry). Personally I think the Lakers have more talented team than Miami, as much as I hate saying that. Kobe is a great competitor and a good defender, Pau Gasol is way better than Bosh, especially playing in the post, Ron Artest is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game, Bynum >any C on Mia, Fisher is a vet and can hit big shots, Lamar Odom > any Mia 6th man.

I personally want to watch the magic make Lebron cry again like they did in the ECF. I was at that game 6 and the joy I got from see LeCry storm of the court was unmeasurable.

icon1914
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM

The T Wolves won 58 games in the 03/04 season so it is a legitimate comparison.

LeBron was most likely not going to win in Cleveland. '09 was the wake up call, this year the writing was on the wall... Cleveland does not have the supporting staff they need to be legitimate contenders, and worse they have no real way of bringing in quality players. No real trading chips, no solid young talent, no second option.

While I dislike the way he handled the team change, I commend him on doing what he wanted to do. He has nothing to prove to anyone but himself. If he wants to win then he put himself in the best position to do that... Maybe it will blow up in his face, but if it works out I think people will forget about "The Decision" and commend him the same way everyone seems to have forgotten Kobe could not even escape the first round until the Lakers landed Gasol.

Winning seems to make people forget.

drew_ellis_23
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I love it how people talk about how many rings "ESPN's" chosen one will win in Miami, like its a given. You haven't seen the team play,they have to beat complete basketball teams like the Lakers, Orlando, Boston, Chicago ......(if i missed any teams sorry). Personally I think the Lakers have more talented team than Miami, as much as I hate saying that. Kobe is a great competitor and a good defender, Pau Gasol is way better than Bosh, especially playing in the post, Ron Artest is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game, Bynum >any C on Mia, Fisher is a vet and can hit big shots, Lamar Odom > any Mia 6th man.

I personally want to watch the magic make Lebron cry again like they did in the ECF. I was at that game 6 and the joy I got from see LeCry storm of the court was unmeasurable.

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
It's crazy how no one has good feelings about the wonder triplets (except Heat fans) I have a bad feeling about it eventhough I think he had the right to do what he did. What ever happend to compitition? These guys almost seem afraid to compete. I think I will call Wade,Bosh ans Bron the power rangers. Remember when things got tough they had to combine their powers?
Well Wade already won a ring and is loved here in Miami as our superstar, and Bosh was never going to accomplish anything in Toronto. I can't speak for Lebron, but just Bosh & Wade here would've been fine with me as well.

show34
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
the dude cannot win. If he puts up stats and loses people say that he isnt great b/c he hasnt won a title. If he goes to a team to win games people say he isn't great because he asked for help. Come on people. No matter what he did you were all going to have something negative to say.youre just saying that because your a heat fan if he was still with the cavs or joined somebody besides miami you would be saying the same thing other people are saying so dont be a fairweather fan

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM

Here's an example of a hater. I find it funny that people can assume the Lakers will shut down Wade and Lebron. Nobody shuts them down. Wade when he was by himself still put up big numbers against big teams. Now that the defense has to respect more people than just Wade, he will be even more dangerous. Lebron is the ball handler and Wade is the scorer.

Still.I.Rise
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
LOL DUDE! are u serious??? The heat have not won anything yet... There is nothing guaranteed in sports.. Just ask Grant hill or Mike Tyson (Noone knew who the hell Buster Douglas was til he knocked out tyson) or the Yankees.. The most talented team doesnt always win.. I wouldnt be talkin all this mess until they actually do have a ring, cuz I mean how pathetic would it be if they didnt win a ring.. And are u serious lebron can win 2-3 rings as the top dog?? when has he proven he can actually win 1 ring as the top dog?? he had 7 years to do that.. If he is the "best" player in the NBA, howcome he couldnt win?? Just face it, hes the "king" of stats.. The dude will never be in the same sentence as MJ or Kobe ever again.. I mean right now Wade is even more succesful.. Get over it.. It is what it is.. Quit trying to defend a follower

And the Lakers and the Lakers fans are scared??
Why the hell would we be scared for?? I think we are more concerned of the thunder than anyone else.. Maybe in 3 years or so when Kobe is on his last leg, then we would be scared... But then again in 3 years, the big 3 might not even be there.. it might be a total disaster in Miami..
My point is dont get too cocky heat fans.. cuz u never know how things will end up... I would get the first ring first and then u can talk all the mess you want.. and by the way I have no problem with the 3 stooges, I think its gnna be exciting.. as long as it doesnt turn into a disaster.. cuz i dont really wanna hear all the heat fans excuses..

icon1914
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM

What???? Don't get me wrong, Wade is amazing, but LeBron has proven that he has much more to offer than potential. The man took a bunch of scrubs to the Finals... Led some better scrubs to the best record in the league two years in a row.... And don't even use Wade's ring as comparison because if Lebron played for the Heat when they had a useful Shaq, Payton, J-Will, Walker I'm sure he would have a ring too.

I'm not saying which one is better, but I refuse to even think that it's an open and closed case like you stated. Don't treat James like he is Ricky Rubio.

show34
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
well wade already won a ring and is loved here in miami as our superstar, and bosh was never going to accomplish anything in toronto. I can't speak for lebron, but just bosh & wade here would've been fine with me as well. i agree with the dolphin thingy and am a big fan of the early miami heat 90s teams but lakers 4sho

Laker Legend42
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Well Wade already won a ring and is loved here in Miami as our superstar, and Bosh was never going to accomplish anything in Toronto. I can't speak for Lebron, but just Bosh & Wade here would've been fine with me as well.

I agree. It makes more sense to sign two max guys Wade plus one. Now you have three guys taking up all your cap space and now the Heat are forced to try and get other guys to play for far less than what they are worth. If this doesn't work the Heat are in trouble.

VinceCarter
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
LeBron has done nothing to deserve legendary praise. He has talent to be legendary but a guy who goes ring chasing instead of competeing is pathetic. Like Jordan and Bird said they were trying to beat Magic and McHale NOT join them. They were competitors, LeBron is somebody who wants a ring handed to him.

He had the team to make the finals last year but he quit on them in the Boston series. They could've easily brought that series to 6 or 7 games and beat them but he gave up because getting his ring was too hard. :facepalm:

Scalphunter13
07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Here's an example of a hater. I find it funny that people can assume the Lakers will shut down Wade and Lebron. Nobody shuts them down. Wade when he was by himself still put up big numbers against big teams. Now that the defense has to respect more people than just Wade, he will be even more dangerous. Lebron is the ball handler and Wade is the scorer.

Heres a question how are the heat going to bang with Bynum and Gasol? who is going to cover Gasol?... Gasol will take bosh to school (as much as I hate gasol). How are the heat going to rebound when Bynum, Gasol and Odom are in the game? Its all just speculation until we see how the games start to work out but I have a feeling that Miami might get exposed in the paint by LA, BOS, ORL, Chi

pdpkong
07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
[/B]

Hey, watch yourself there! We have a very young and talented team this year. Hopefully won't do much sucking this year.

I think many "heat fans" not all just don't understand what LBJ did because they were "on the beach" and not watching what happened in the past 2 years of basketball.

I'll give everyone a recap in layman's terms. Lebron James (Hottest Girl in High School) is dating Cleveland (Hottest Guy in High School... they were the hottest team the past 2 seasons) for 7 years. However during the final 2 years Lebron James has been flirting with other guys (Knicks, Bulls, Nets, Miami etc etc.) She leads all of them on while hinting to her Boyfriend that all is good and he has nothing to worry about. Finally prom is coming up but she does not give an answer to her boyfriend and continues leading everyone else on. On the day of prom, in front of the whole school she announces that she will be ditching her long time Boyfriend. All for a new loner boy who doesn't have many friends (aka a complete team). Did she have the right to dump her bf? Yes, absolutely. Did she have the right to find a new bf? Yes, most definitely. Is she still a *****? YES, without a doubt in my mind.

Even if Lebron James came to the New York Knicks, I would still have been fed up with his ego. I first became a fan of Lebron for his talents and skills. But as time went on over the past couple years his continued antics really grew on me. Dancing during games when you haven't won a single championship on opponents home court? Not cool. This whole off season? Not cool. If you wanted to leave your team just do it, why lead them on and ditch them on National TV?

I don't think many heat fans understand just how wrong that was. They're still in the honeymoon phase and don't realize what a douchebag Lebron was to the Cavs. They did everything for him, when they had cap room they tried to get a sidekick, with Lebron approving of Larry Hughes. When that didn't work out Lebron was a go for the trade for Ben Wallace and company. When that didn't work Lebron was a go for getting Mo Williams. When that wasn't a go Lebron was a go for getting Antawn Jamison. They did everything in their ability to get him what he wanted, yet people still think that wasn't enough. Were they the best pieces for him? Probably not but one of the best under cap circumstances.

icon1914
07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree. It makes more sense to sign two max guys Wade plus one. Now you have three guys taking up all your cap space and now the Heat are forced to try and get other guys to play for far less than what they are worth. If this doesn't work the Heat are in trouble.

While there is a chance this will not work, its more likely to work as long as there are no career ending injuries. These guys are all young and have different skill sets that could compliment each other.

Even if the big three don't gel anyone of them could be moved for some major talent. Filling the roster spots on a team like that will not be that hard either.

Point is I will not turn down a million dollars cash just because I might not have a bag big enough to haul it home. I'll find a way to make it work. I'm not counting the rings yet, but I'm not counting them out either.

Lakers211221
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Michael Jordan wouldn't be considered the #1 if he left the Bulls to join up with Magic and Karl Malone (can't put Bosh with Larry Legend) also joined them on the Lakers!

icon1914
07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Heres a question how are the heat going to bang with Bynum and Gasol? who is going to cover Gasol?... Gasol will take bosh to school (as much as I hate gasol). How are the heat going to rebound when Bynum, Gasol and Odom are in the game? Its all just speculation until we see how the games start to work out but I have a feeling that Miami might get exposed in the paint by LA, BOS, ORL, Chi

The Lakers were a play or two away from losing to an old worn down Celtics team. While I will respect the champs, please don't act as if they are unbeatable.

Lakers211221
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
The Lakers were a play or two away from losing to an old worn down Celtics team. While I will respect the champs, please don't act as if they are unbeatable.

The Lakers also had Kobe playing with a broken finger (and sprained knee) and Bynum playing with a torn miniscus....Lakers also upgraded their bench since Blake >>> Farmar

Also, that "old worn down Celtics team" you mentioned took care of all of the teams in the Eastern Conference on with those teams all having HCA against them!

k3n2s1
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I usually hate posting but this is in hopes of getting these Lebron/Heat fans to understand some things.

What a lot of people are saying does not originate from any "hate". All of these Miami "Heat" fans say that Bulls fans wouldn't be saying this if he went to their team. That is true, but the point is that NBA fans from all across the country wouldn't be disgusted by Lebron if he chose the Bulls/Knicks and won a championship with them.

The reason people have lost respect for Lebron is because he took the easy way out to have a chance to win a championship. He admitted to not being able to win it all while being the clear cut number 1 guy. He would've been the number 1 guy on the Bulls or the Knicks. Picking the Bulls would not have been the easy way out. Would it have been a ridiculous team to contend with? Yes, but people would still respect him because it was the smartest thing to do for his career by going to the Bulls. And this is coming from a person who is NOT a Bulls fan and never will be.

Raoul Duke
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I think it's silly to make such a huge deal out of it and claim that it's a cop out by James and/or Wade. I mean, they managed to get (arguably) three of the top ten, and (arguably) two of the top three players in the league, all in their primes, all for (potentially) as long as six years. It was a unique opportunity that I don't think any NBA team has ever really had.

I'm sure that these guys have looked at the big three in Boston or Jason Kidd in Dallas and said "if we don't hook up with other great players now while we have the chance, it could just mean we'll just have to do it in our thirties when we have less in the tank". Does it make any success they might enjoy a little less magical than, say, Jordan's Bulls? Absolutely. Does it give them their best chance at getting as many rings as possible? Absolutely.

icon1914
07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
The Lakers also had Kobe playing with a broken finger (and sprained knee) and Bynum playing with a torn miniscus....Lakers also upgraded their bench since Blake >>> Farmar

Also, that "old worn down Celtics team" you mentioned took care of all of the teams in the Eastern Conference on with those teams all having HCA against them!

Bynum has rarely ever been much of a part of either of the Lakers recent titles, he is always hurt. And while I commend what the Celtics did, the fact is they were the underdog. They were the lower seed, I did not see any analyst pick them to win it all until the they made it to the finals.

I still stand by the fact that this years Lakers team looked great, but not unbeatable. Next year I'm sure it will be more of the same... Maybe they will three peat, but it's far from a for gone conclusion. Last I checked they also had a little trouble with a young Thunder team as well.

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM

This is a terrible argument that I constantly see brought up on here...

You mean the same "old worn down" Celtics that went through Wade and the Heat, then the two teams with the best regular season records? Stop trying to bring down the Celtics so the lakers don't seem as good. The Celtics were a great team, people on PSD(myself included) just wrote them off too early.

Still.I.Rise
07-20-2010, 04:27 PM
U Blind???

Honestly Heat fans most of you are choosing to be blind to the facts. Lebron has tarnished his legacy whether you want to hear it or not

Yes after 25yrs the stench of this situation will forever linger when you hear his name. It has become apart of his legacy, even IF he wins in Miami there will be questions about whether
he has earned those rings or did he take the easy way out.

So stop with the U mad??? crap and see it for what it is. Lebron is an immature spoiled child who has been pampered by the league and excused for this terrible sportsmanship and childish antics.

Guarantee you this it’s not all going to be perfect in Miami whether you guys win or not. 82 games plus playoffs is a lot more than 12 games or whatever they play in the Olympics.
Bosh knows a little thing about getting over confident because of Hype. look at how he reacted when We signed JO and we all know the results of that.
James is at his best with the Ball in his hand this is Wades team. Wade is at his best with the Ball someone going to be unhappy I don’t care what they say.
Not hating I wish your team lots of luck but just saying don't be surprise when you hear of a rift.

DON’T CHOOSE TO BE BLIND THINK ABOUT IT !!!

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
My point is: people keep talking crap about the Heat not winning 60 games, not having a bench, ect. because they don't like the Heat. I doubt it's what they really think; they are just bashing the team. People hate the Heat because of Lebron. I would have been happy with just Bosh and Wade.

The Lakers are the best team in the league and rightfully so, but they are not unstoppable and they didn't dominate their way through the playoffs. And to say 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA will be easily shut down is ridiculous.

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
U Blind???

Honestly Heat fans most of you are choosing to be blind to the facts. Lebron has tarnished his legacy whether you want to hear it or not

Yes after 25yrs the stench of this situation will forever linger when you hear his name. It has become apart of his legacy, even IF he wins in Miami there will be questions about whether
he has earned those rings or did he take the easy way out.

So stop with the U mad??? crap and see it for what it is. Lebron is an immature spoiled child who has been pampered by the league and excused for this terrible sportsmanship and childish antics.

Guarantee you this it’s not all going to be perfect in Miami whether you guys win or not. 82 games plus playoffs is a lot more than 12 games or whatever they play in the Olympics.
Bosh knows a little thing about getting over confident because of Hype. look at how he reacted when We signed JO and we all know the results of that.
James is at his best with the Ball in his hand this is Wades team. Wade is at his best with the Ball someone going to be unhappy I don’t care what they say.
Not hating I wish your team lots of luck but just saying don't be surprise when you hear of a rift.

DON’T CHOOSE TO BE BLIND THINK ABOUT IT !!!
I could care less about a single player. It's a team sport. I'm a Heat fan with or without Lebron. I was a fan when they won 15 games and when Wade wasted some of his prime in the first rounds of the playoffs. I was a fan when they were kicked out off the playoffs by NY, Bulls, ect. I'm a South Florida fan and I always will be.

I could care less about his legacy or anything about him in that matter. He chose to be in Miami and that's in his right to do so. I want my team to win rings. I don't care if Lebron is the next Jordan, I just want the Miami Heat to win some titles.

k3n2s1
07-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Let me ask you Heat fans this. If the Heat don't win a championship, who do you think would bail on the team and leave first?

disk 8
07-20-2010, 05:14 PM
**** Bryant Gumbel

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Let me ask you Heat fans this. If the Heat don't win a championship, who do you think would bail on the team and leave first?
Lebron. There's a 99.99% they win 0 rings. They'll win at least one. You're just looking to start an argument.

icon1914
07-20-2010, 06:09 PM
This is a terrible argument that I constantly see brought up on here...

You mean the same "old worn down" Celtics that went through Wade and the Heat, then the two teams with the best regular season records? Stop trying to bring down the Celtics so the lakers don't seem as good. The Celtics were a great team, people on PSD(myself included) just wrote them off too early.

I think the argument has merit. I hear your points, but I don't think they erase mine.

I'm not saying the Celtics were not a great team, but I don't see them as unbeatable, nor do I see the Lakers as unbeatable. The Celtics made it clear that it might be a few years before anyone can count them out, but that does not erase the fact that if the Lakers were so great they would not have went the distance.

Against the Magic in '09 The Lakers dominated them. It was not a sweep, but there weren't many times when it looked like the Magic could have won that series. In '08 the Celts owned that finals. This year it was a battle that could have gone either way. That does not mean either team was anything but amazing in terms of competion, but neither was at a level far above the rest of the pack

Don't get me wrong, the Lakers were the best team last year and they are the team to beat this year, but I don't see them as the clear cut favorites. They did not dominate in the post season like some champions of the past, they fought it out and were the last team standing at the end.

I don't have to bring down the Celtics to make the point that I would not be so fast to order up a 3-Peat shirt for 2011.

k3n2s1
07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm looking to start an argument? I never said they're not going to win a ring. I'm not saying they will either. I just asked a simple hypothetical question. If you don't want to answer it or be sarcastic and all on the defensive about it then don't reply to it. Simple as that.

8kobe24
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Lebron. There's a 99.99% they win 0 rings. They'll win at least one. You're just looking to start an argument.

And the 99.99% calculation is based on how many games they played so far? Gimme a break. If they don't win it all this coming season, I think this team will self destruct.

smiddy012
07-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Its funny how all these people say, "well if he went to Chicago you Chicago fans would be singing a different tune."

Well duh... sometimes the decision makes the man. In Lebron's case he beleives he needs to be courted and sucked-up to. He acts more like a hot ***** more than a great NBA player, and thats with all sincerity.

And by the way Heat fans, NONE of Jordan or Larry or Magic would have ever done what Lebron did. So us Chicago fans aren't that bitter when we already had MJ to begin with. Not to mention that Lebron is a mental midget in comparison to MJ (or even Rose).

Really its Lebrons loss more than anyones for him not coming to Chicago. He says he grew up idolizing Jordan? Well he aint ever going to have his statue next to MJs. Nor is he ever going to be compared to Jordan in a positive light.

icon1914
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm looking to start an argument? I never said they're not going to win a ring. I'm not saying they will either. I just asked a simple hypothetical question. If you don't want to answer it or be sarcastic and all on the defensive about it then don't reply to it. Simple as that.

Personally I don't see how they will not get a ring. Unless there is some major injury or for some reason they collapse I just can't see them getting at least one.

If they were to fail, I think the team would deal Bosh before anyone could get any bright ideas about demanding a trade. I just could not see a team dealing James or Wade.... If you are asking which one would get pouty about not winning, I'd have to go with... None. They asked for this... I don't think any of them would want to admit it was not working in public. It would be a some disgruntled MLE that would be the first to complain.

djlamer
07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
every since kobe bryant got his 5th ring, championships is all it has been about. because now the elusive 6 is within grasp and whoever attains that first will be the new michael jordan. that is why i think lebron has pushed the pedal to the metal to win championships above all else. lebron is supposed to be the "king" of basketball", not kobe...that is his nickname right? ever since kobe has won this last ring, everybody is sucking his penis now, lebron doesn't like that, why isn't his penis being sucked? because he hasn't won anything. i believe that if kobe bryant had not won his 5th ring this last season, we would be looking at a whole different off season.
while staying in your state or draftee team may make you a hometown hero, winning championships satisfies way more customers all over the world. and while you may be remembered as a hero in your own state for sticking to your guns and toughing it out, the world will respect and enshrine you for being a champion and your wins will be legendary.
as great as charles barkley is, why do you think kenny smith jabs all the time about not having rings?? sir charles just sits there and takes it cause he knows kenny's right. feelings and perceptions change, hardware lives forever.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
U MAD? That this person is only responding to you with laughing faces?

mad? are u stupid? first of all i wasnt talking to u so mind your business, 2nd im not mad i just wanted to know why he disagreed with me. do u speak for him? do u whip his ***** to? get off your knees and stop blowing him, let him talk for himself.

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
And the 99.99% calculation is based on how many games they played so far? Gimme a break. If they don't win it all this coming season, I think this team will self destruct.
Please I know you hate the Heat, but let's not be ridiculous. Do you really think a combination of 3 top 10 players will not pan out in the end? They haven't played a game yet, yes, but they are great friends and amazing players, and they have a solid bench around them. Lebron alone took the Cavs to 60 wins. Wade alone took the Heat to the playoffs all the time. So now they are on the same team. Deal with it.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Please I know you hate the Heat, but let's not be ridiculous. Do you really think a combination of 3 top 10 players will not pan out in the end? They haven't played a game yet, yes, but they are great friends and amazing players, and they have a solid bench around them. Lebron alone took the Cavs to 60 wins. Wade alone took the Heat to the playoffs all the time. So now they are on the same team. Deal with it.

agreed

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 06:59 PM
mad? are u stupid? first of all i wasnt talking to u so mind your business, 2nd im not mad i just wanted to know why he disagreed with me. do u speak for him? do u whip his ***** to? get off your knees and stop blowing him, let him talk for himself.

hahahah, so you are mad? After a long commute home, this was great to see.

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I think the argument has merit. I hear your points, but I don't think they erase mine.

I'm not saying the Celtics were not a great team, but I don't see them as unbeatable, nor do I see the Lakers as unbeatable. The Celtics made it clear that it might be a few years before anyone can count them out, but that does not erase the fact that if the Lakers were so great they would not have went the distance.

Against the Magic in '09 The Lakers dominated them. It was not a sweep, but there weren't many times when it looked like the Magic could have won that series. In '08 the Celts owned that finals. This year it was a battle that could have gone either way. That does not mean either team was anything but amazing in terms of competion, but neither was at a level far above the rest of the pack

Don't get me wrong, the Lakers were the best team last year and they are the team to beat this year, but I don't see them as the clear cut favorites. They did not dominate in the post season like some champions of the past, they fought it out and were the last team standing at the end.

I don't have to bring down the Celtics to make the point that I would not be so fast to order up a 3-Peat shirt for 2011.

Completely agree with everything you just said.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
hahahah, so you are mad? After a long commute home, this was great to see.

lol laker fans

LakeShowRaider
07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
The only people who care about LeBron now are Heat fans

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
lol laker fans
Really...

LJEATON26
07-20-2010, 07:10 PM

This is easily the most ******** quote I've ever seen on these forums. Jordan without the championships is still not top 20 of all time? He was a 5x mvp, 14x all star, 10x all nba first team, 9x all defensive first team. Plus the fact he has the highest career regular season ppg and he won ten scoring titles and the defensive player of the year awards. I'm pretty sure even without all the rings he would still be a top 5 player, but to say he wouldn't be in the top 20 is just idiotic.

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Really...

What, I can't have a little fun? I didn't know Miami Heat fans were so serious, I really didn't know any Miami Heat fans were on here until a few weeks ago to be honest. I had seen 3 or 4 posters, but aside from that, barely anybody else.

We have talked about all Miami Heat/LeBron James topics at great length and if you really want to see what I think about these things, look through my old posts.

For now though, let's all have some fun until the season starts. Everyone has already said how they feel, nobody's changing any opinions at this point.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 07:14 PM
^ ok MJ not being in the top 20 if he didnt a ring is i little crazy, but i understand your point, he wouldnt be the G.O.A.T

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 07:14 PM
This is easily the most ******** quote I've ever seen on these forums. Jordan without the championships is still not top 20 of all time? He was a 5x mvp, 14x all star, 10x all nba first team, 9x all defensive first team. Plus the fact he has the highest career regular season ppg and he won ten scoring titles and the defensive player of the year awards. I'm pretty sure even without all the rings he would still be a top 5 player, but to say he wouldn't be in the top 20 is just idiotic.

If MJ never won any titles, Dwayne Wade, right now, would be considered better.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
What, I can't have a little fun? I didn't know Miami Heat fans were so serious, I really didn't know any Miami Heat fans were on here until a few weeks ago to be honest. I had seen 3 or 4 posters, but aside from that, barely anybody else.

We have talked about all Miami Heat/LeBron James topics at great length and if you really want to see what I think about these things, look through my old posts.

For now though, let's all have some fun until the season starts. Everyone has already said how they feel, nobody's changing any opinions at this point.

OK fun until it starts, then its all business lol

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM

I know that. I'm serious, but a lot of these Heat fans aren't. They are saying U Mad? because we kept getting bashed by other fans. So we're just doing it back at people. Plus, the bandwagon fans are making us look bad.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I know that. I'm serious, but a lot of these Heat fans aren't. They are saying U Mad? because we kept getting bashed by other fans. So we're just doing it back at people. Plus, the bandwagon fans are making us look bad.

the bandwagon fans are making us look REALLY bad, and the real miami fan have become the most hated people

Cbast09
07-20-2010, 07:33 PM
the bandwagon fans are making us look REALLY bad, and the real miami fan have become the most hated people
Yah you know how many people have called me a bandwagon fan? Me? I was born and raised in South Florida. I've been a fan for the 17 years of my life.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Yah you know how many people have called me a bandwagon fan? Me? I was born and raised in South Florida. I've been a fan for the 17 years of my life.

ive been called the same, hurts a little inside lol. ive been a fan or the 18 years of my life. i even have picture of miami heat, UM and dolphins clothes when i was 2 lol

LJEATON26
07-20-2010, 07:38 PM
If MJ never won any titles, Dwayne Wade, right now, would be considered better.

So if thats the case when did Robert Horry and Tom Heinsohn become better then Jordan? Horry has one ring more and Heinsohn has 2.

J4KOP99
07-20-2010, 07:50 PM
So if thats the case when did Robert Horry and Tom Heinsohn become better then Jordan? Horry has one ring more and Heinsohn has 2.

Joke buddy, joke. Learn to love 'em.

LJEATON26
07-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Joke buddy, joke. Learn to love 'em.

ElMarroAfamado
07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
eBron’s decision is typical of our immediate gratification era, but it flies in the face of history. Even though he never won a title, Dan Marino is still the biggest hero in Florida. And in Boston, all those Celtics championships are dimmed by the unforgettable brilliance of Ted Williams, who never won anything. In Chicago, Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus have legendary status despite playing on losing teams. And even in the NBA, where guys seem obsessed with being viewed as ‘the man’, real men like Barkley, Ewing and Baylor are ringless, but revered.

evadatam5150
07-20-2010, 08:48 PM
So which is it:

One has to wonder whether you would have felt the same way and said the same thing two weeks ago..??

NYYCowboys
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Lebron is the biggest joke in sports. I think going to Miami is the biggest mistake any athlete has made in free agency ever. Now nobody cares if he wins or what stats he puts up (including the 20 Heat fans) because he took the easy way out like the coward that he is.

mikealike305
07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Lebron is the biggest joke in sports. I think going to Miami is the biggest mistake any athlete has made in free agency ever. Now nobody cares if he wins or what stats he puts up (including the 20 Heat fans) because he took the easy way out like the coward that he is.

easy way out would of been staying with cavs buddy

jwm923
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I think the most disappointing thing about LeBron is that he showed he is not as competetive as everyone thought. I was under the idea that he had accepted the proclamation as the "next MJ.". I don't have the exact quote but after the "decision" he made a statement along the lines of ""Now I don't have the pressure of scoring 30 points a night and shooting 50 percent from the field." Again, this is not the exact quote but it along those lines. Maybe it is from watching all those years of Jordan, but everyone knows a true competitor wants that pressure night in and night out. Jordan didn't go into a playoff game hoping Pippen would carry the load. He didn't want to play with Bird, Magic, Thomas, Dumars, Ewing, Malone, Kemp. He wanted to beat them and did.

I would respect LeBron much more if he came out and said this rather than make people read between the lines. I should say that there is nothing wrong with not being competetive but don't raise people's hopes or mislead them with the MJ comparisons or proclaiming yourself something you don't want to be (King).

k3n2s1
07-20-2010, 09:11 PM

When did Bosh become a top 10 player in the NBA? I wasn't around when this transformation of Chris Bosh occurred. He's great, but not that great.
Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, Durant, Duncan, Howard, Nowitzki, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Brandon Roy, etc.

Lebron, Wade and Bosh are all top 3 players at their positions. I personally believe you can argue Bosh not being a top 3 player at PF, but most people believe he is so I'll roll with it.

As for the winning the championship, most people believe the Heat will win a championship but the question is when. I'm curious to see what the reaction will be if the Heat don't win it this year, which I personally think they won't. Just my opinion though.

k3n2s1
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I would respect LeBron much more if he came out and said this rather than make people read between the lines. I should say that there is nothing wrong with not being competetive but don't raise people's hopes or mislead them with the MJ comparisons or proclaiming yourself something you don't want to be (King).

A lot of blame for this has to go to the media too though. They wanted to turn the sport around so badly and they saw their chance to do it with Lebron. He was a young kid, so he accepted the responsibility without knowing what it would entail. So of course it is Lebron's fault, but it's even more so the media's fault and the people who fell for the act IMO.