PDA

View Full Version : Did Portland Make A Mistake of Taking Oden Over Durant?

Kobe5RingKing
07-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Greg Odon in 3 seasons played 82 games
Avg: 9.4 Points per game 7.3 Rebounds 1.4 Blocks

Kevin Durant in 3 seasons played 236 games
Avg: 25.3 Points Per game 6.2 Rebounds 0.9 Blocks
-2010 Scoring Title

bahama0811
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I think it's quite obvious that they made a mistake. KD plays, Greg Oden doesn't.

SupeUnagi
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
well gee, i dont know

dtmagnet
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Clearly....

Kevj77
07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Of course, but you know what they say about hindsight.

nanablvd
07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
yes, but i wont compare statistics. Durant and Roy would be a lot more respectable than Lebron and Wade in Miami cuz Portland would have drafted both players themselves. No tampering, no hornswoggling.

SupeUnagi
07-19-2010, 04:15 PM
yes, but i wont compare statistics. Durant and Roy would be a lot more respectable than Lebron and Wade in Miami cuz Portland would have drafted both players themselves. No tampering, no hornswoggling.

rofl

truplayer199
07-19-2010, 04:15 PM
This is a pointless thread. I can go on and on about what players should've been drafted ahead of certain players. How about Olowokandi and Kwame brown being former number one pics?

netsgiantsyanks
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
how many times is this **** going to be mentioned??? GREG ODEN WAS THE BEST FIT!!!! hell, if the supersonics had the first pick they would of picked greg oden because he was bascially a lock at the #1 pick

iggypop123
07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
durant would have probably torn his acl in portalad so it doesnt matter.

Slimsim
07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
does Jordan ring a bell ?

SupeUnagi
07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
was it a mistake? yes
was it a bad pick at the time of the draft? no

jackdawson
07-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Why is it so hard to realize?? One is already a top 5 player on the planet and the other is busy with taking nude pictures of himself.

grega1976
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
quite possibly the dumbest thread ever created... obviously it was a mistake, however how was portland to know that Oden would be so injury prone.

Enemey
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Its a flashback to them from the 1984 draft when they picked Sam Bowie over MJ , Sam Bowie always was injured. And it also came back to haunt them in the 1992 finals where they got beat by MJ. Now they picked Oden whose always injured over KD who already became the youngest scoring champ. Of coarse they regret it. History repeats itself. .

gbpackers12
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
In hindsight, yeah it was a bad decision, but when they made the pick I don't think too many people were surprised. KD and Roy would be sick though.

mark1125
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Why is this even a poll? Of course they did.

smith&wesson
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
LOL ummm roy and durant ? thats all i have to say

obviously they made a HUGE mistake.

Tony_Starks
07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Nah its not a dumb thread because we're judging with the advantage of having hindsight. At the time he was the consensus pick.

But to answer the question I say yes they made a mistake but not because of how it played out. I say its a mistake whenever you draft by position or potential instead of taking best player available.

Like people still give Dumars a pass on Darko because of "his potential" and position but however you slice it he wasn't the best player available.

Jerry West, the best drafter ever, said you take the best player available regardless of position or current team need.....

Enemey
07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Man Portland would have been one of the greatest team if they had drafted MJ instead of Bowie and Durant instead of Oden. Think about it MJ and Drexler , and KD and Roy. Wow you cant stop that!

levignjw
07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Stupid question.

LeWade>Kobe
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey guys you think Tyreke Evans should have gone to the clippers I mean Blake Griffin hasn't done anything yet and Evans won ROY?? This question is about the equivalent to that dude.. Portland had that position filled by an up and coming star in the league why pass on the consensus #1 to fill a need that's already filled with a star?

Sadds The Gr8
07-19-2010, 04:36 PM
this thread's been made like 800 times...

SANDBURG23
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM

-2010 Scoring Title

Yes they mad mistake, but the Injury problems have made it not a real fair comparison. It's not like the Bowie mistake. Oden looks like he will be a Mutombo type player and if he stays healthy from now on maybe as good. Durant looks like he may be in the top 75 when the NBA hits 75. Especially if westbrook gets as good as he looks like he might.

masalex1205
07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

-2010 Scoring Title
"Does Portland regret not taking Durant?" Come on man, are you going to create the "does Portland regret taking Bowie over MJ?" thread next?

JasonJohnHorn
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
YES!!! Oviously. Hind-sight is twenty-twenty though. They also should have picked Jordan over Sam Bowie. But both were sound basketball decsions. Centers are hard to come by, especially great centers, and Oden had the potential to be a great one and the Blazers already had a great player on the wing in Roy. go back 25 years, Portland had a great player on the wing (Drexler) and needed a center, and Sam Bowie had the potential looking at his college resume to be a great one. Both were sound choices, but nothing is a lock.

The number one over all pick wins the ROY maybe 1/3 years, and even less often ends up being the best player in the draft. Should Cleveland have taken Amare of Dujuan Wanger? Yeah. Should toronto have taken Danny Granger overJoey Graham? Yeah. Should Atlanta have picked Sheldon Williams over Brandon Roy? Yeah.

Every year there are picks that turn out back. Oden is a solid center, a great rebounder and a good shot blocker who has bad luck with injuries and a hard time with foul trouble. Once he gets a healthy stretch he will be one of the more dominant players in the post defensively, as long as he learns to stay out of foul trouble, and that is hard to come by, so they still made a good choice, but as it turns out Durant was the best player out of that draft so far.

Hind sight though, its always twenty-twenty. Nothing new about that. it was still a solid basketball decsion.

netsgiantsyanks
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Its a flashback to them from the 1984 draft when they picked Sam Bowie over MJ , Sam Bowie always was injured. And it also came back to haunt them in the 1992 finals where they got beat by MJ. Now they picked Oden whose always injured over KD who already became the youngest scoring champ. Of coarse they regret it. History repeats itself. .

yeah but its not like sam bowie and greg oden suck like kwame brown. they both were injured most of their career. its not like they played for a nightly basis. yeah, they regret it, but both times they already had excellent teams. so, its not like they beat themselves over the head with those mistakes. didnt rod thorn even say he would of picked sam bowie over michael jordan?? bascially, they were bad mistakes considering jordan is jordan and kevin durant is a rising superstar, but both times those were the right picks and its not like they had some telekinesis crap going on and they knew that sam bowie and greg oden would be injury riddled while kd and jordan were going to be the best at what they do.

avrpatsfan
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Oden equals Sam Bowie.

Ironman5219
07-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Can you imagine Portlands line up of Roy, Durrant, Aldredge? With Portlands bench, thats a real big 3 to be scared of. Oh well thanks for taking Oden!!!!

Enemey
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
YES!!! Oviously. Hind-sight is twenty-twenty though. They also should have picked Jordan over Sam Bowie. But both were sound basketball decsions. Centers are hard to come by, especially great centers, and Oden had the potential to be a great one and the Blazers already had a great player on the wing in Roy. go back 25 years, Portland had a great player on the wing (Drexler) and needed a center, and Sam Bowie had the potential looking at his college resume to be a great one. Both were sound choices, but nothing is a lock.

The number one over all pick wins the ROY maybe 1/3 years, and even less often ends up being the best player in the draft. Should Cleveland have taken Amare of Dujuan Wanger? Yeah. Should toronto have taken Danny Granger overJoey Graham? Yeah. Should Atlanta have picked Sheldon Williams over Brandon Roy? Yeah.

Every year there are picks that turn out back. Oden is a solid center, a great rebounder and a good shot blocker who has bad luck with injuries and a hard time with foul trouble. Once he gets a healthy stretch he will be one of the more dominant players in the post defensively, as long as he learns to stay out of foul trouble, and that is hard to come by, so they still made a good choice, but as it turns out Durant was the best player out of that draft so far.

Hind sight though, its always twenty-twenty. Nothing new about that. it was still a solid basketball decsion.

I know that he had the potential but C'mon MJ was NBA ready. MJ would of been SF with Drexler being the 2 guard thats kinda like MJ and Scottie or Jerry West and Elgin Baylor samething with Kevin Durant and Brandon Roy. When you have a chance like that you take it.

Niro
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
yes

lmao @ the 6 guys that said no

8kobe24
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
They needed a center and drafted Oden. At the time no one knew he would get injured so often.

Iggz53
07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Undoubtedly. Oden is proving to be a potentially great interior defender. Durant is already a top 5 NBA player.

DengelBerry
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
how many times is this **** going to be mentioned??? GREG ODEN WAS THE BEST FIT!!!! hell, if the supersonics had the first pick they would of picked greg oden because he was bascially a lock at the #1 pick

agreed, no one knew that oden was gonna be injury prone.

some people will just never learn.

king4day
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM

I agree. Oden was going #1 no matter who had the pick.
It looks bad now because Durant is becoming a future MVP.
If Oden ever has a healthy season, we'll see why he made the most sense for the Blazers.

IMO, this is Odens last year to prove himself. He's supposed to be as close to 100% this year, as he can be. So if breaks again or just has an OK year, he'll officially be a bust.

king4day
07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
yes

lmao @ the 6 guys that said no

I was the 8th but I put 'no' because I read the title of the thread and assumed the poll matched it. I never would have thought it would be a complete 180 like it was.

SeoulBeatz
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
was it a mistake? yes
was it a bad pick at the time of the draft? no

easy as that.

Oden was the perfect fit in portland though.

but it's clear now that Durant is going to be a perennial all star and possibly best player in the league while Oden is TBD.

97NYer
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Safe bet to say NOW that they rather have Kevin Durant than Greg Oden, and Michael Jordan over Sam Bowie.....

**** happens, fans will be bitter but you can't predict the future.

ChiSox219
07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
No, Portland did not make a mistake.

When you have a dominant big like Oden was projected to be (especially on the defensive end) you take him over a dominant wing.

Oden will be a great player if he can just avoid some of these horribly unlucky injuries he's had.

The pace adjusted per 40 minute numbers for each from last season:

Durant:
.607 TS%
30.2 pts
7.6 reb
2.8 ast
1.4 stl
1.0 blk
3.3 t/o

Oden:
.647 TS%
19.5 pts
14.9 reb
1.6 ast
0.7 stl
4.0 blk
3.3 t/o

19-15-4 is a HOF Center

pujolsdabomb5
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Well no ****

runforrestrunx9
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Why is it so hard to realize?? One is already a top 5 player on the planet and the other is busy with taking nude pictures of himself.
:clap:

97NYer
07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Greg Oden may turn out to be a top 5 center in this league. MAY. Kevin Durant is already a top 5 player, with so much potential.

Skizzik
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Not gonna lie, I liked Durant more in college than Oden and always thought he would be the better choice (especially considering Oden injured his hand during his one year in college). On top of that, Durant's body just looks naturally more durable to me. I don't blame Portland's pick, but just saying if I was a GM, I would have definitely picked Durant over Oden.

People talk about how much difference a great center makes...remind me how many championships Orlando has won...or Houston... The NBA in it's current state requires you having the best players, regardless of position. This isn't 30 years ago when 7 footers were rarer than big foot sightings. Everyone's taller and thus, personally, I feel like the center position isn't as significant as it once was.

SchyGuy11
07-19-2010, 05:29 PM
how is this even a debate? of course it was a mistake, they missed out on one of the best players in the NBA

OA SLAY
07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
You guys are all fools, Oden is and will always be the better player/thread

king4day
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Not gonna lie, I liked Durant more in college than Oden and always thought he would be the better choice (especially considering Oden injured his hand during his one year in college). On top of that, Durant's body just looks naturally more durable to me. I don't blame Portland's pick, but just saying if I was a GM, I would have definitely picked Durant over Oden.

People talk about how much difference a great center makes...remind me how many championships Orlando has won...or Houston... The NBA in it's current state requires you having the best players, regardless of position. This isn't 30 years ago when 7 footers were rarer than big foot sightings. Everyone's taller and thus, personally, I feel like the center position isn't as significant as it once was.

I can't argue that. I think based on need, the Blazers had their scorer already in Roy. They just needed a dominant big man and they'd have been set. Portland was supposed to be the next elite out west.

Durant was the silver medal prize and I don't think anyone would have thought he'd be this good. Turns out, he just needed a couple more years to ripen.

nycsports2
07-19-2010, 05:49 PM
really?

OA SLAY
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Oden was never a lock for 1st pick and always had question mark about his wrist n knees. Portland went as far as putting up billboards around asking fans who they wanted.

sep11ie
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Is this a rhetorical question, or did you wake up this morning craving a facepalm?

OA SLAY
07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Durant has been a stud since his 1st game

tbuk100
07-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Tough call. A healthy and productive Oden is the perfect fit with Roy and Aldridge. Fits in better than Durant would've on the team. Who would be 'the man' between Roy & Durant? Chemistry may have suffered.

You have to pick Oden in that spot. No way you can predict health. But hindsight being 20/20, hell, even Tiago Splitter would've been a better pick than Oden.

josh81589
07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Is this a serious question?

NYY NYJ NYK
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
yep it was a mistake. But almost every other team in the NBA would of done the same thing

Mudvayne91
07-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I love this site, but there are so many douchebags on here. I'm not talking about the person who made the thread, but all of the rude remarks that are so unnecessary. Too many tough guy internet people if you ask me.

Gibby23
07-19-2010, 06:07 PM
How did you figure that out?

OA SLAY
07-19-2010, 06:07 PM
What a dumb post, Roy n Durant compliment oneanother so well. How could u not see Oden being injury prone, he looked like he was 58at age 19 and runs like my outta shape auntie

ChiSox219
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I love this site, but there are so many douchebags on here. I'm not talking about the person who made the thread, but all of the rude remarks that are so unnecessary. Too many tough guy internet people if you ask me.

I agree, I'm glad someone said what I was thinking.

blazerman
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
It looks bad now because Durant is becoming a future MVP.
If Oden ever has a healthy season, we'll see why he made the most sense for the Blazers.

IMO, this is Odens last year to prove himself. He's supposed to be as close to 100% this year, as he can be. So if breaks again or just has an OK year, he'll officially be a bust.

I agree with you 100%

fire2last
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Is this a rhetorical question, or did you wake up this morning craving a facepalm?

Well said. Terrible thread.

The Smurf
07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
quite possibly the dumbest thread ever created... obviously it was a mistake, however how was portland to know that Oden would be so injury prone.

:clap: this is the only suitable answer.

Reyes6
07-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I believe in Greg Oden.

Cano4prez
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Portland is victorious

Duddy
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Nah, Greg Oden's naked photos definetely made some laughs on Portland's Locker room. What can KD contribute with besides points, rebs, assists....?

zambo4president
07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
No you don't pass on a once in a decade kind of big man Oden was supposed to be. I must have missed the part where Oden's career was over?

Klivlend
07-19-2010, 06:36 PM
In before close

twoearl
07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
durant would have probably torn his acl in portalad so it doesnt matter.

Lol. But seriously I think it's kind of unfair to compare the two. Oden has never played long enough to even be properly evaluated.

pheagles10
07-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Oden was supposed to be the anchor in the center of Portland's defense but just never stayed healthy.

howiend
07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
oden still has time to have a very good career - however, my guess is due to the injuries (fluke) he will never be what he could have been and the vast majority of the teams would have taken oden

unleashthebeast
07-19-2010, 07:12 PM
duh

thekmp211
07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
did the bobcats make a mistake drafting emeka okafor?

there is no story here. every other team would have made the same choice.

now, durant is so good it is probably that a healthy oden still would not have been as good a player.

i dont know what insight you are looking for in this. there is really no wiggle room in this particular storyline.

MrfadeawayJB
07-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I am going to be different and say NO!!! At the time of the draft, Greg Oden was the easy choice. Remember people were comparing Greg Oden too Bill Russell. The only question about Oden was his broken wrist or hand or whatever it was. Durant was easily a top choice as well, but how often do you find a 7-footer with Greg Odens potential. Durant will of course be the best choice looking back, but most teams would have selected Oden with the 1st pick.

fadedmario
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
This thread has been made over 100 times

NYYCowboys
07-19-2010, 07:35 PM
obvi

drew_ellis_23
07-19-2010, 07:42 PM
These threads are stupid! WTF do you think? I am sure had they known Oden would be crap they would have taken Durant. Then he could have been injury prone and Oden would be a stud. **** happens.

PSYCH
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM
yep it was a mistake. But almost every other team in the NBA would of done the same thing

Celtics would have taken Durant even if they already had Pierce and needed a center which shoots down the notion you should draft for the best fit over most talented.

Would you rather have a team with: (hypothetically)

Rondo
Pierce
Durant
Garnett
Perkins

or

Rondo
Pierce
Allen
Garnett
Oden (assuming healthy)

Lloyd Christmas
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
I think Portland clearly chose the right player. Oden still will be a great player in my opinion. He will be an all-star, most improved player, and lead Portland to a top 3 seed in the West this upcoming year. I love Durant, but without a big man they will never win a championship. Portland already had Roy as their main playmaker and Aldridge as their scoring face-up big. Oden was the perfect fit at he time of the draft and he still is. I predict a 20 and 13 season this year and people will debate whether him or Dwight is the best Center in the NBA.

If I'm right I'll look like a genious.

PSYCH
I am going to be different and say NO!!! At the time of the draft, Greg Oden was the easy choice. Remember people were comparing Greg Oden too Bill Russell.

I remember them saying that. Maybe they are the same people who said Harold Minor was the next Jordan.

Wiz kids
In hindsight no ****, but at the time I still would of taken Oden over Durant

305wadecounty
07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
First of all I would have never drafted ODEN cause he looked like he was in his 40's and was only what 20. lol :cool:

HabsFan87
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
no

PSYCH
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
In hindsight no ****, but at the time I still would of taken Oden over Durant

Assuming health, would you rather have:

Durant. 30 ppg. 7rpg. 2apg
Oden. 18-20ppg. 12rpg. 2bpg

If Oden was up around 25ppg it would be a different story.

Wiz kids
07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Assuming health, would you rather have:

Durant. 30 ppg. 7rpg. 2apg
Oden. 18-20ppg. 12rpg. 2bpg

If Oden was up around 25ppg it would be a different story.

Franchise center any day of the week.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
no...every GM in the game has already said that they would have picked Oden too...you can't pass up on a 7+ft center with super high upside and the numbers he had in college.

I still think its a good move. GM's don't have crystal balls to tell them if a player will be hurt or not. I think if Oden comes back healthy he is going to be a major part of the blazers uprise this year. And he will put all the naysayers to bed eating crow.

Everyone is an expert when using hind-sight.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 08:13 PM
its fun to see how disconnected the NBA fans are with what is happening in the Northwest.

JNA17
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
For the people that said nobody knew Oden was injury prone, how did you guys not notice the injures he had in high school and in college? He was injury prone from the very beginning he played basketball.

justinnum1
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM

:facepalm: Hater

jiggin
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
For the people that said nobody knew Oden was injury prone, how did you guys not notice the injures he had in high school and in college? He was injury prone from the very beginning he played basketball.

just like any team and player drafted, there are physicals and medical reports that can be read prior to draft day. As with any team, they examine these and have their team doctors look them over.

Blowing out your patella is a fluke type of injury, not something that is going to show up on a medical report.

Again...its fun to hear people talk about the blazers when they ignore them all year and have very little info on them.

airjuice
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Duh! Same question if you asked does Portland regrets taking Sam Bowie over MJ.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Duh! Same question if you asked does Portland regrets taking Sam Bowie over MJ.

seems like that is the only info anyone has about portland...yet everyone is an expert.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
What kind of question is this, really?

OF COURSE THEY REGRET IT, THEY WILL FOR 20 YEARS

JNA17
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
just like any team and player drafted, there are physicals and medical reports that can be read prior to draft day. As with any team, they examine these and have their team doctors look them over.

Blowing out your patella is a fluke type of injury, not something that is going to show up on a medical report.

Again...its fun to hear people talk about the blazers when they ignore them all year and have very little info on them.

what?

GAWDtv
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Talk about beating a dead horse

homer2680
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
This has to be the dumbest thread ever started.

PSYCH
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Franchise center any day of the week.

That's what experts keep telling us. If you were starting a team to win it all next year, would you take Dwight over Kobe.

Many recent champions have done well with their franchise player not being a center. Celtics, Lakers, Spurs

If franchise centers are equal to franchise guards or forwards then I'll take the big man, but their are far less legit big men then there used to be.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
That's what experts keep telling us. If you were starting a team to win it all next year, would you take Dwight over Kobe.

Many recent champions have done well with their franchise player not being a center. Celtics, Lakers, Spurs

If franchise centers are equal to franchise guards or forwards then I'll take the big man, but their are far less legit big men then there used to be.

you are basing that off of their NBA careers and stats. Look at their pre-nba stats...

when was Kobe drafted?
he was the 13th pick in 1996

when was Howard drafted?
1st pick of the draft in 2004

see how it works...it was based off their high school or college play. Not their NBA numbers. Kobe fell behind MANY good players in that draft, but he was drafted by Charlotte at 16 because of his high school numbers. Iverson was #1 that year.

Wiz kids
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Yes, but that's just me.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
what?

can't dumb it down any more for you. Teams see medical reports prior to draft day. They work out players and can physically assess their medical conditions.

A blown out patella isn't something that is going to show up on a medical report. He had Chip fractures, similar to avulsions, which normally not serious and are something that A LOT of basketball players have in their careers because of banging knees in the paint.

Sorry...i think most of this stuff is common sense.

Ezekial
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Obvious answer is obvious.

AKA TheMamba
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Really, does this question still being asked? Especially after durants scoring title...

Jeff559
07-19-2010, 08:49 PM
DUde, this is stupid. they did not make a mistake. they picked the best player available, the consensus number 1 pick. Hindsight is 20/20. obviously if they could go back they would pick durant knowing what they know now, but that doesnt mean they made a mistake.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
case in point about NO ONE paying attention to the trailblazers yet trying to sound like experts...portland hired a new GM today...is there a thread about it...NO.

LOL

_KB24_
07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Obviously. They are known notoriously for drafting potential instead of straight talent. Why else would they pick Bowie and Oden over Jordan and Durant? I'd be stick to my stomach if I was a Blazers fan.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 09:40 PM
should the other 13 teams in the 1996 draft be chastised for not picking Kobe Bryant?

no...but you go with the numbers out of high school college and draft the best player based on that. That is what Portland has done...ands it was the right choice at the time no matter how it turned out.

I could go down the list with every draft and show players that were passed up that teams should be kicking themselves for not drafting...but what would that accomplish?

BkOriginalOne
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Still to early to call, honestly.
Yes, Durant is the better player, but your question can only be answered over time.
Either the Thunder win multiple titles, or Oden, finally healthy wins DPOY and the Blazers win a title.
The third option would be if Oden gets officially labeled a bust.

leoncito
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't know why don't we ask the thunder fans.

timz-a-changin
07-19-2010, 09:52 PM
They drafted for need, but can you imagine Roy and Durant on the same team? and then add Aldridge.....Camby.....

That would be a sick team.

jiggin
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
They drafted for need, but can you imagine Roy and Durant on the same team? and then add Aldridge.....Camby.....

That would be a sick team.

no Portland ALWAYS drafts the best player available. Thus why they drafted Babbitt even though they have that spot filled. They also drafted Johnson even though they have 3 pg on the roster.

most teams draft the best player available...its not uncommon.

Skizzik
07-19-2010, 09:58 PM
should the other 13 teams in the 1996 draft be chastised for not picking Kobe Bryant?

no...but you go with the numbers out of high school college and draft the best player based on that. That is what Portland has done...ands it was the right choice at the time no matter how it turned out.

I could go down the list with every draft and show players that were passed up that teams should be kicking themselves for not drafting...but what would that accomplish?

If they were going off that...
Durant - 25.8 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 1.9 bpg, 2.8 tpg and voted the best player in the college world by the coaches (and to note, he scored 37 points in four different games)
Oden - 15.7 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.3 bpg, 2.0 tpg

So yeah, less injured, better points and rebounds, and voted the best player in college basketball by coaches. Seems to me they failed at the section of your post I bolded. As I said earlier in this post and I was saying the same thing before the draft, I would take Durant no contest.

Ray_R
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Draft=Gamble

jiggin
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
If they were going off that...
Durant - 25.8 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 1.9 bpg, 2.8 tpg and voted the best player in the college world by the coaches (and to note, he scored 37 points in four different games)
Oden - 15.7 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.3 bpg, 2.0 tpg

So yeah, less injured, better points and rebounds, and voted the best player in college basketball by coaches. Seems to me they failed at the section of your post I bolded. As I said earlier in this post and I was saying the same thing before the draft, I would take Durant no contest.

well you are smarter than every GM in the game then, because they have commented time and time again that you always take the 7+ft franchise center over durant...knowing what they knew then.

So congrats...this one would have worked out for you. I guess I will wait to see you as the GM of a team soon.

Skizzik
07-19-2010, 10:17 PM
well you are smarter than every GM in the game then, because they have commented time and time again that you always take the 7+ft franchise center over durant...knowing what they knew then.

So congrats...this one would have worked out for you. I guess I will wait to see you as the GM of a team soon.

First off, I never saw a report saying every GM would do it. Secondly, I already mentioned earlier in this thread how I think the center position is overrated in today's NBA...call me when Dwight Howard or Yao wins a championship. When healthy, those are the two best centers in the NBA. They have all of 0 championships between them.

And last, acting like I have to be a GM to make my point stick, there's 30 NBA GM spots for what? 7 billion people. Fact is, you said Portland takes the best player, in my opinion, they very clearly didn't. I think a talented scorer who can create his own shots is worth more than a dominating center.

x23cbru24x
07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
if oden played he might be actually pretty good but its like charlotte passing on mj...theyll really regret it in the long run...KD will be a man beast

heathonater
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
hasnt worked so far, but at the time not one gm in the league would have taken durant over oden in that draft.

Skizzik
07-19-2010, 10:34 PM
hasnt worked so far, but at the time not one gm in the league would have taken durant over oden in that draft.

If you mean if they ran the Trailblazers, that's true. Portland has Aldridge, the obvious need was center. If you're drafting for need as Portland, you'd take the center. But if you're talking about if every team had the choice at the first draft pick with their team, I'm 100% certain Orlando wouldn't have taken Oden. Take a backup center or a starting SF?

daleja424
07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
hindsight is 20/20.

you always take the big time big man prospect over a guard though. At the time they did the right thing. It just didnt work out.

x23cbru24x
07-19-2010, 10:49 PM
ryan sweetney...y would the knicks get him??? and picking jordan hill over jennings???? (facepalm)...im in quick post

HookerFighter
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
ummm duh

CHItown_23
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think Portland made the wrong decision. It just really didn't work out, as we can all see now.

THE MTL
07-19-2010, 11:35 PM
If Durant went to Portland however, he wouldnt have developed as rapidly as he did. Im also not sure how Roy and Durant would co-exist either.

jetsforever
07-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Its bad now in retrospect... At the time nothing was truly all that wrong with it.

mynameismo
07-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Brandon Roy and Kevin Durant on one team? hmmmmmm..
Tempting..

bigmac8675
07-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Uh... no ****!

The Raven
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Come on. Why ask such an obvious question