PDA

View Full Version : Sox and Yankees interested in Downs

bomber0104
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Would love to see a bidding war start up.

Red Sox, Yankees Interested In Scott Downs
By Tim Dierkes

The Red Sox and Yankees have "big-time" interest in Blue Jays reliever Scott Downs, tweets Ed Price of AOL FanHouse. Downs, a free agent after the season, has a 2.56 ERA, 7.0 K/9, and 1.9 BB/9 in 38.6 innings this year.

Neither team's interest comes as a surprise. The Red Sox have been linked to Downs since this July 6th report from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The Yankees are known to be seeking relief help. The Phillies are also said to be interested in Downs. Last week on WEEI's The Big Show, former Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi praised Downs as a potential Red Sox acquisition but had harsh words for Jason Frasor and Kevin Gregg.

ESPN's Buster Olney had an interesting series of tweets today on Downs, where he explained that the lefty might be hurt by Type A designation if he is offered and turns down arbitration after the season. Perhaps Downs' agent at CAA will advise the pitcher to accept if offered. A look at our latest Elias Rankings projections shows that Matt Guerrier, Frank Francisco, Dan Wheeler, Arthur Rhodes, and Pedro Feliciano might be in the same boat as Downs as Type As, though I imagine many will not be offered arbitration.

Link (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/19/mlb-trade-deadline-roundup-mets-after-starter-may-prefer-guthr/)

Eagles4Lyfe
07-19-2010, 08:04 PM
nice i hope yanks offer us montero too like they offering everyone:p..jokes would love to see what AA has his sleeve thats for sure

wamco
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
We'd prob have to flip him for a 3b or of prospect, maybe taylor back from oak

bomber0104
07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
We'd prob have to flip him for a 3b or of prospect, maybe taylor back from oak

it makes no sense for the A's to trade for a reliever.. they aren't making the playoffs..

I really think its gonna go down to Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies

wamco
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I meant flip montero as he can't play 1b or dh here

bomber0104
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I meant flip montero as he can't play 1b or dh here

oh.. anyways, we arent getting Montero either.. Yankees already said that Lee was a special case and that they aren't including Montero in any deals.

I'd take Mccalister plus another low lever prospect from the Yankees. Or maybe we can have Joba

B2theRY
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
we could get Joba for Downs..

i'd take Joba... teach him to be a closer

**** throw back Encarnacion too :P

nithanyo
07-20-2010, 12:55 AM
IF he is going to the bosox or yanks it best be at a premium.

yankswin27
07-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I'd give up a decent amount for Downs. I'm a big fan of his. I like Frasor a lot too.

scottythegreat1
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
We have a lot of trade chips....but I wouldnt give anything to the Yankees or the Red Sox unless we get something REALLY favourable in return.

Like someone said....Id want Joba from the Yankees, and I doubt theyd part with him. Of course, Id take AJ Burnett back if they pay half his salary (I hear they are thinking about dealing him).

nithanyo
07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
We have a lot of trade chips....but I wouldnt give anything to the Yankees or the Red Sox unless we get something REALLY favourable in return.

Like someone said....Id want Joba from the Yankees, and I doubt theyd part with him. Of course, Id take AJ Burnett back if they pay half his salary (I hear they are thinking about dealing him).

Id take a lighter contract and AJ. Always a fan of burnett

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
•MLB Network's Peter Gammons chimes in on Downs, tweeting, "before [the Yunel] Escobar deal, the Blue Jays wanted Jose Iglesias for Downs." That gives you an idea of the Jays' initial asking price for one of the best available relievers; the Dodgers, Yankees, and Phillies are also known to be interested.

Very interesting that we would want Iglesias when we signed an arguably better prospect in Hecchaveria

Asham
07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
•MLB Network's Peter Gammons chimes in on Downs, tweeting, "before [the Yunel] Escobar deal, [the Blue Jays] wanted [Jose] Iglesias for Downs." That gives you an idea of the Jays' initial asking price for one of the best available relievers; the Dodgers, Yankees, and Phillies are also known to be interested.

The_Jet11
07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I'd still be happy to get Iglesias for Downs! It could indicate that either he or Hech are headed to CF, where our prospect pool is considerably weak.
AA has stated that his goal is to add high impact type of players. They'll find a place for everyone to play, provided the impact that they are going to make will be significant!

Jays Claw
07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd take Melky Mesa from the Yankees. Has tremendous speed, good arm and developing bat.

Big Hurt
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=bomber0104;14197481]Would love to see a bidding war start up.

Link (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/19/mlb-trade-deadline-roundup-mets-after-starter-may-prefer-guthr/)[/QUOT

Jp praised Downs because he was a good pick-up by him.

Not so nice things to say about Fraser because he traded Jayson Werth to get him = bad memories, and Gregg because he was not one of his guys....pretty predictable really.

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Yankees get : RP Downs, RP Gregg, 1B Andrew Liebel

Jays get : OF Slade Heathcott, IF David Admas

I believe in Heathcotts bat, and David's speed, anyone?

yankswin27
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Nah. Slade Heathcott is a potential 5-tool outfielder. David Adams is a possibility though, he's a really good talent but the Yankees have no room for him on the big league roster. Cano, A-Rod, and Jeter have the infield locked up for years.

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Yes but AA can throw something in to make it work, I doubt he is a 5-tool player but power at most, Defense is questionable from his scouting reports. Adams may solve our 3B problem although he's not a Power hitter

Asham
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I doubt any team will meet the Jays asking price for Downs

Asham
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Is heathcott even eligible to be traded?

BlueJayFanDan
07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I doubt any team will meet the Jays asking price for Downs

Downs is fantastic. I think it is very possible. Especially if a team loses a bullpen arm to injury right now. That would be our big ticket to moving Downs and getting a good return. A contending team with a huge injury.

Gibby
07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
wow AA wanted iglesias for downs. if he can get a similar type spec i will be really happy.

BlueJayFanDan
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
wow AA wanted iglesias for downs. if he can get a similar type spec i will be really happy.

A prospect along the lines of Iglesias for Downs would be incredible. I hope he makes it happen.

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Is heathcott even eligible to be traded?

He was drafted last year, so I guess not, Neil Medchill and Melky Mesa wouldnt be too bad

Halladay
07-20-2010, 07:33 PM

You know Liebel is a pitcher right?

Halladay
07-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Nah. Slade Heathcott is a potential 5-tool outfielder. David Adams is a possibility though, he's a really good talent but the Yankees have no room for him on the big league roster. Cano, A-Rod, and Jeter have the infield locked up for years.

Don't know much about Heathcott but lets be honest here, is the term "5 tool outfielder" not thrown around these days way too easily? It seems like every single outfield prospect now is considered a 5 tool prospect which is insane.

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
You know Liebel is a pitcher right?

WOOOPS, got the wrong read, thanks for the correction tho, well still I would throw him in for two or even one of those guys.

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
WOOOPS, got the wrong read, thanks for the correction tho, well still I would throw him in for two or even one of those guys.

Yeah Liebel really has no value in a trade. He doesn't even have value to the Jays considering they just drafted him because they knew they can sign him easily.

T.O. Fan
07-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes but AA can throw something in to make it work, I doubt he is a 5-tool player but power at most, Defense is questionable from his scouting reports. Adams may solve our 3B problem although he's not a Power hitter

Adams' OPS, SLG has increased every year in the minors.

Not that I think the Jays should get him for Downs, but his power is developing even though he's not hitting a lot of homeruns.

Personally, I'm against any middle infielder by the name of Adams :)

D-Train#35
07-21-2010, 06:29 AM
He should still go after Iglesias imo. Keep him and Hech together, im sure one wouldnt mind switching to third or second (granted, I don't know a lot about Iglesias).

2009mvp
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
^^You're talking about two defense-first players though, which obviously plays a lot better at short than it does at 3rd. I don't think either are gonna give you a ton of production offensively, though Hech's ceiling would seem to be higher from everything I've read.

bomber0104
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
The Mets have discussed relievers Octavio Dotel and Scott Downs, report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. John Harper of the New York Daily News reported yesterday that the Mets scouted Downs and Kevin Gregg over the weekend. The Mets agreed to terms with free agent reliever Chad Cordero earlier today.

I really hate what the Mets have for prospects.. Martinez value has dropped big time so i'm wondering if they are willing to include him