PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs - (2) Spurs vs. (3) Jazz

Westbrook36
07-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This second round match-up features the 2nd seeded San Antonio versus the 3th seeded Utah Jazz . The Spurs have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Spurs:
PG: Jason Kidd/Randy Foye/Marcus Williams
SG: Ronnie Brewer/Randy Foye/Wayne Ellington
SF: Caron Butler/Chase Budinger
PF: Tim Duncan/Channing Frye
C: Memhet Okur/Reggie Evans/Aaron Gray

Spurs Write-Up:

Jason Kidd vs. Steve Nash

Two hall of fame pgs going at it, neither have a ring but both have a ton of playoff experience. These two are so similar in play style it’s hard to compare the two. Kidd is perfect for the Spurs and likes to dish the ball off his main scorers in Okur, Duncan, and Butler. The one thing that Kidd has that Nash is not the well adapted is he can rebound. For his career, Kidd averaged 7 rebounds per game compared to Nash’s 3.0. They both shoot the 3 ball well. Both shot 43% from the arc. Kidd’s defense is better then Nash’s as well. The only major advantage that Nash has is that he scores a little bit better. Jason Kidd really does not have to do as much scoring with this well balanced Spurs team. These two are so close in what they do that no team has the clear advantage, which because of our team’s balance we win that matchup.

Ronnie Brewer vs. Thabo Sefalosha

These guys are two good defenders that both teams will count on. Ronnie Brewer has the ability to score a bit more then Sefalosha. Brewer has average 10 ppg for his career compared to Thabo’s 6.0 ppg for his career. The Jazz can not make the argument that Thabo has more potential because both players are quite young. Brewer is a good slasher to the basket which will help the team out. Brewer is one of the better dunkers in the game. Thabo is a nice young player; however we have the advantage in this matchup. Brewer’s size could be used on Nash’s as well to help out pick and rolls. Neither player will be a difference make in this series but do what they are supposed to do, play defense.

Caron Butler vs. CJ Miles

We believe this is where the series will come down to. Caron Butler has been an All Star in this league. In the past, he has averaged 20 PPG. Last year, his numbers dropped because of the trade to the Mavs. The Mavericks were good enough that he did not have to do all the scoring which lowered his averages a bit. He still averaged 16 PPG while playing for such a good team last year, he also had to adapt to the new surrounding team. He has become a better three point scorer while being an excellent slasher. He is the type of player that all teams would like because he is a blue collar type player. CJ Miles is nice young player that has started to come into his own with the Jazz last year. He still only averaged 10 ppg and only 6 for his career. He is sound defensively, but because of Kidd’s ability to set Butler up perfectly it will be tough to defend Butler moving all over the place. The two wings for the Jazz only average 15 ppg, while the Spurs wings average 25. Both teams have good defensive wings, but we win this matchup as well.

Power Forward: Tim Duncan vs. Dirk Nowitzki

Should be a battle down low between these two, we will be switching Okur and Duncan on Dirk during different parts of the game. It all depends on how we feel the game is going and what we want to do on the defensive side of the ball, we always have the awesome team defense is team brings. Memo was quite productive last season, his scoring dropped a bit, however he kept his rebounding up to 7 RPG. He’s able to spread the floor for Tim Duncan down low and he’s a much better version of Matt Bonner. Okur should be able to keep with Dirk during parts of the game and then having Duncan switch on and off with him. We can’t see Marcus Camby being able to contain Duncan either, he has the best post moves in the entire NBA. Duncan has been quite effective with a shooting type big next to him, he’s always loved them. Duncan has different options off the bench with shooting too depending on who’s in the game, Randy Foye can always hit a shot, and Channing Frye can too, not to mention that Caron Butler can snipe from anywhere on the court. Brewer has a nice mid range game too with 10 PPG last season, while being hurt for parts of the year. With the Jazz the year before he put up 14 PPG, solid offensive player while being an awesome defensive player. We also have Chase Budinger who was quite impressive with the Rockets last season as a rookie.

Center: Memhet Okur vs. Marcus Camby

We will be switching as we already said before, we won’t have one single player keep on the same player during the entire game down low. We love the versatile play we are able to bring to the table with our bigs, such as Reggie Evans off the bench who is a complete hardnosed banger down low. Camby is a little factor on the offensive side of the ball, can’t do much outside of rebound at this point. Memo isn’t the greatest rebounder in the entire league, but 7 RPG isn’t half bad at all. Okur will be able to spread the floor, while making Dirk come out to guard him. Making Dirk work on defense is a key in this series, and we intend to do just that.
Jazz:
C- Marcus Camby / Anderson Varajao / Francisco Elson
PF- Dirk Nowitzki / Anderson Varajao / Juwon Howard
SF- CJ Miles / Morris Peterson
SG- Thabo Sefalosha / Morris Peterson / Eddie House
PG- Steve Nash / Eric Maynor / Sundiata Gaines

Jazz Write-Up:

Point Guard- Solid match up for the Jazz in this one. Steve Nash's defensive weaknesses wont really affect us all that much as JKidd wont be torching us for points. Bar defense and rebounding, Steve is far superior in every other aspect of the game, and we expect him to give us another big series here. JKidd does not provide the outside threat that Timmy Duncan needs inside, and nor does Brewer. With the only half decent outside shooter in their opening 5 being Memo, they could really struggle to score their points. I think we have the edge here with the 2 times mvp.

Wings- Pretty equal on the wings. They have the big name of Caron Butler, but CJ Miles really is no slouch after averaging 15ppg in the playoffs this year. He went up against Melo in the last series and we prevailed, Butler wont provide such stern a test for our wings to deal with this time round. We will probably put Sefalosha on Butler, getting in the 2nd all nba defense team last season he is the best defender in this series, so hopefully slows down Butler a lil bit. Thabo has an outside shot to spread the floor, Brewer does not. When Brewer was on the Jazz it was like having 4 players on offense as the opposing team really doesnt have to worry about guarding him outside the paint, so we're not worried about him, we can solely focus on Butler. Brewer's defense is overated, he's a freak athlete, and he relies on that too much. He is great at gambling for steals, but his man defense really isnt all that, and besides, we dont really rely on wing scoring all that heavily anyway. I'm gunna say they have the advantage here as they have the name value in Butler, but the battle here should be pretty tight. They get roughly 25-30ppg from their starting wings this series, we should get 20-25.

Bigs- Dirk Nowitzki v Tim Duncan yet again. Should be a fun battle, as they always are. On the defensive end we'll be placing Camby on Tim Duncan, we believe thats a better match up for us, while Dirk can guard Memo. Memo literally just had one of the worst years of his career, he really struggled from the floor, it was sad to see as a Jazz fan. He has been reduced to a 12ppg scorer, and when he isnt scoring he literally provides nothing else to the team. I think this series favors us inside, as they dont really have the ideal guy to guard Dirk, while we have a more suitable guy to guard their star big. With Memo at center I think we even have a chance at winning the rebound battle in this one with Camby hopefully leading the series by a large margin. Tim Duncan has been more effective with a Robinson type big next to him, it remains to be seen how effective he'll be with Memo's lack of everything but scoring. He wont really help lighten the load for an aging Duncan. I think we have the edge here, factor in that Timmy has no shooters on the wings to spread the floor or kick it out to, I think we will be too much for him and his team.

Bench- I think maynor has already showed in his 1 year in the league that he can run point and orchestrate an offense better than Randy Foye has ever shown. They rely too heavily on Randy, expecting him to cover both back court positions. On the wings Chase Buddinger against Mo Pete is pretty much a whipe out. Both shooters, I'd give the edge to Chase though with his size. Bigs-wise we rely more on a 3 big rotation involving Varajao. Another defensive presence to help combat Timmy down low. They bring their best shooter off the bench here in frye, but like Memo provides nothing else but scoring. Frye will be good for like 1 or 2 big games these playoffs (like Doc said about Nate Robinson) and the rest of the time wont have any effect. Bar Timmy they are pretty weak downlow.

Overall I can see us progressing, but it wont be easy, maybe 6 games. I can see the desire of Nash and Dirk carrying us through into the Western conference finals, with them deciding any close game.

Good luck to the Spurs

RocketsRule
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Ohhh this one is a tuffy. I think I'll go with the Jazz in a close, grueling 7 game series. If anyone wants me to elaborate I'd be glad to, but I'm lazy. :p

king4day
07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I could see the speed of the Jazz being the difference in this one. Both have very good defensive teams.

jimbobjarree
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Nash and Dirk baby. I may not have filled the wings with star names, but the guys can shoot...and if anyone can find them open its Nash. Camby defense v Duncan's offense would be another interesting aspect of this series. Camby whilst being a top defender, is athletic enough to run with Nash and our uptempo style, fits us perfectly.

Gambeezy
07-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Spurs in 7. Came down to homecourt advantage for me. Very close.

zambo4president
07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah this is one goes to game 7 no doubt, very difficult. Im going San Antonio though. I don't think the Jazz could keep up with the Spurs offensively.

Westbrook36
07-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Nash and Dirk baby. I may not have filled the wings with star names, but the guys can shoot...and if anyone can find them open its Nash. Camby defense v Duncan's offense would be another interesting aspect of this series. Camby whilst being a top defender, is athletic enough to run with Nash and our uptempo style, fits us perfectly.

Camby is a better weak side defender then a man to man defender. Camby is a little factor on the offensive side of the ball, 6-8 PPG. My team defense is more import then a one on one matchup for our team, just everyone do some sort of part on defense.

jeff86
07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
i think with our defense is pretty dang good to slow down dirk and nash

our offense is quite a bit better then their defense

thesparky33
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Nice matchup.

I went with Spurs.

jeff86
07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
in real life this would be a fun series to watch

Westbrook36
07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Ohhh this one is a tuffy. I think I'll go with the Jazz in a close, grueling 7 game series. If anyone wants me to elaborate I'd be glad to, but I'm lazy. :p

Sure, only because I haven't heard anything eles from voters :shrug:

Burkey3472
07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Jazz in an extremely tight series.

gbpackers12
07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I like the Jazz in this series.

njnets
07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
i chose spurs. i think they are a deeper team. starting lineups are REALLY even imo. nash-dirk combo is nice though. spurs in 7 with home court advantage.

fins08
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Very close, I almost went with SA because they have the better role players with Butler, but I like Nash so much better than Kidd nowadays and Dirk could be better than Tim Duncan

dimedrpr
07-20-2010, 04:01 AM
In a low scoring series I took the Jazz. I like their defense on the perimeter with Thabo and inside with Camby. Nash makes everyone better offensively as well so while the Jazz don't have great individual scorers, they will get easy looks thanks to the Nashty one.

J-Relo
07-20-2010, 06:07 AM
tough one. going with nash

jimbobjarree
07-20-2010, 07:36 PM
uhuhhhh

Ebbs
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Mhm Warriors Jazz

Nets Cavs