PDA

View Full Version : Kovy Will Not Be Signing With The Rangers. So Where Do We Go From Here?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Sounds like he passed on the Kings offer also and will be resigning with the Devils. Oh well. At least we can now move on. :)

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Now that the saga is over, do you think sather strikes quickly, with kovy back in nj he most certainly has to bolster the offense with some fire power...
OPTIONS: semin, stempniak, frolov, richards, spezza, ryan, gagne....

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
No deal on Spezza because Sens won't go down that road again (having paid the bonus and getting not much in return), Anaheim will match any offer sheet for Ryan; on Gagne, Flyers probably won't deal him within the division (maybe Tampa or Toronto). To get Semin and Richards would be giving up a lot for only a one-year guarantee. Frolov, maybe, Stempniak, maybe, both depending upon money they're looking for.

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
No deal on Spezza because Sens won't go down that road again (having paid the bonus and getting not much in return), Anaheim will match any offer sheet for Ryan; on Gagne, Flyers probably won't deal him within the division (maybe Tampa or Toronto). To get Semin and Richards would be giving up a lot for only a one-year guarantee. Frolov, maybe, Stempniak, maybe, both depending upon money they're looking for.

On semin and richards, whats alot? i would give up rozy, dubi and pick/prospect for richards... and for semin dubi, gilroy, pick/prospect... and yea you are right about anaheim matching any offer, but i was talking about trading for his rights if they cant reach an agreement.

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 12:24 PM
On semin and richards, whats alot? i would give up rozy, dubi and pick/prospect for richards... and for semin dubi, gilroy, pick/prospect... and yea you are right about anaheim matching any offer, but i was talking about trading for his rights if they cant reach an agreement.

I assume they're gonna want the better propsects (and not want Gilroy). I think Dubinsky is overvalued by a lot of people here. I can only hope other teams think that highly of him.

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I assume they're gonna want the better propsects (and not want Gilroy). I think Dubinsky is overvalued by a lot of people here. I can only hope other teams think that highly of him.

Thank you! lol. i totally agree on dubinsky, but it seems to be what alot of people want back in a trade so whatever. On semin, i dont see them taking back much salary bc they are pretty strapped right now, now when you say better prospects im assuming you mean grachev, kreider, Mcd, stepan, werek... im not sure i would want to part with them.. if dubinsky and grachev would get me semin, its something i might think about but it would be tough. Kreider, stepan, Mcd and werek i would keep at all costs... i know werek is the guy talked about least on this forum, but i myself am very high on him and i think he has a better shot at being a number 1 center in the nhl than stepan does.

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you! lol. i totally agree on dubinsky, but it seems to be what alot of people want back in a trade so whatever. On semin, i dont see them taking back much salary bc they are pretty strapped right now, now when you say better prospects im assuming you mean grachev, kreider, Mcd, stepan, werek... im not sure i would want to part with them.. if dubinsky and grachev would get me semin, its something i might think about but it would be tough. Kreider, stepan, Mcd and werek i would keep at all costs... i know werek is the guy talked about least on this forum, but i myself am very high on him and i think he has a better shot at being a number 1 center in the nhl than stepan does.

Semin is one-dimensional (in the truest sense: although a pure scorer, he doesn't even have the physical presence that Grachev has and hopefully will use to out-position defenders in the NHL). If he was in the middle of a longer deal, I would consider him, but he's getting $6 mil (as I recall) with one year left and I'm sure he'll want more, even if he stays past one year. I don't think he's worth it, so I woiuld be disinclined to give up the better prospects.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Girardi are good (not great) building blocks that provide a foundation for the real talent that follows -- and has already begun to reach the big club (Staal, MDZ, Stepan, Grachev, Kreider, McD, Werek and hopefully Bourque, McIlraith, Pashnin, Valentenko, etc). I prefer the Rangers keep the most talented guys because I don't see young, inexpensive, talented NHL- ready players being offered up for them.

NYRangerFan76
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
How about Redden and Dubinsky for Simon Gagne? Then with the release of both we free up some cap space for later on in the season for what we may need ahead?

bsi
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM

It seems as though you might value Dubinsky a little more than you think yourself if all it would take to get a 40 goal scorer is him and a prospect who didn't really have the best year in the AHL last year.

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
How about Redden and Dubinsky for Simon Gagne? Then with the release of both we free up some cap space for later on in the season for what we may need ahead?

I don't believe anyone will take Redden, but especially not a cap-strapped team like the Flyers.

bsi
07-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Brad Richards is one of the only guys I think we should add, as I see him being the ultimate centerman for Gaborik. I'd be open to gettin Savard but it would really depend on what we'd have to give up. Either of those guys would complete our first line, ofcourse Richards brings more to the lineup but Savard would be a decent fit. Without these two guys in trades I think we just stay the course and use our open spots for some of our younger talent and give them a chance to prove themselves. I realize this sets us up for another possible season without a playoff but I think it helps us down the road.

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
It seems as though you might value Dubinsky a little more than you think yourself if all it would take to get a 40 goal scorer is him and a prospect who didn't really have the best year in the AHL last year.

I think he is a good player, dont get me wrong.. but not to the point where i wouldnt trade him like a lot of guys on this forum feel. And before free agency began i read that if washington was going to trade semin they would want a two way forward in return.... dubinksy...

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Brad Richards is one of the only guys I think we should add, as I see him being the ultimate centerman for Gaborik. I'd be open to gettin Savard but it would really depend on what we'd have to give up. Either of those guys would complete our first line, ofcourse Richards brings more to the lineup but Savard would be a decent fit. Without these two guys in trades I think we just stay the course and use our open spots for some of our younger talent and give them a chance to prove themselves. I realize this sets us up for another possible season without a playoff but I think it helps us down the road.

savard is too injury prone, he cant fit on the first line if he is out with a concussion. id pass on savard, richards would be good but there are other guys, and what spots we already have 21 roster spots filled.

bsi
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't like the idea of trading him, because I do feel he's gonna be a lot better than we've seen. However if it were the right player I'd do it, I just don't think Semin is right for this team and it's makeup, especially if we take Dubinsky's physicallity out of the mix. Besides Callahan we don't have any physical forwards that can play on the top two lines. Christensen, Prospal, Anisimov, Gaborik they're all good players but the don't have the edge needed, and if we add Semin to that and subtract Dubinsky, our playoff run will be very short. Dubinsky was our best player IMO during our last playoffs.

bsi
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
savard is too injury prone, he cant fit on the first line if he is out with a concussion. id pass on savard, richards would be good but there are other guys, and what spots we already have 21 roster spots filled.

According to my count we only have 11 forwards, I really don't think Boyle is gonna be playing in the NHL, or Lisin. THat leaves us with Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Drury, Prospal, Mza, Christensen, Boogard, Prust, Anisimov, Avery. Am I missing someone?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
According to my count we only have 11 forwards, I really don't think Boyle is gonna be playing in the NHL, or Lisin. THat leaves us with Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Drury, Prospal, Mza, Christensen, Boogard, Prust, Anisimov, Avery. Am I missing someone?

I think a few guys will be fighting for the last few slots including Avery, Grachev and Williams. I'd really like to see them try Gilroy at FWD as well.

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I think a few guys will be fighting for the last few slots including Avery, Grachev and Williams. I'd really like to see them try Gilroy at FWD as well.

Thats actually not a bad idea. Maybe letting Gilroy screw around a bit at right wing or something

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 01:27 PM
…I still like Richards, but his salary for this season, plus the cost of probably Brandon Dubinsky and a prospect or pick, may be too much. Michal Rozsival is an ideal fit to send back, but Dallas is having money issues and probably wants lower salaried players back.

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I still like Richards, but his salary for this season, plus the cost of probably Brandon Dubinsky and a prospect or pick, may be too much. Michal Rozsival is an ideal fit to send back, but Dallas is having money issues and probably wants lower salaried players back.

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Assuming Dubinsky is returned to center, they need a left wing. If he's the left wing, then a center is needed. Presumably, Boyle will be the healthy scratch forward. I think they need a scoring left winger, wherever they get him (via promotion, trade or FA).

SLY WILLIAMS
07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Thats actually not a bad idea. Maybe letting Gilroy screw around a bit at right wing or something

He has speed and hands. I think he could be a decent threat. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Ek says Gagne to Tampa

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Ek says Gagne to Tampa

Whther thats confirmed or still at rumor status its moot- the flyers wont trade him within the division- Im surprised that theyll trade him within the conference.

nyrlamonte
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Kovalchuk to the Devils is a tough one to swallow, but I can only hope it serves as long-overdue wake up call for Sather. He has hancuffed the organization (we're certainly not dead in the water and the future does look bright, but there are missing pieces the Rangers need addressed to get back into the playoffs this year). Let's hope he can put something together.

apdamico
07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Kovy signs with Devils, Rangers need to move to plan B if Kovy was actually plan A:

***************************/articles/422128-kovalchuk-signs-with-devils

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I dont actually think kovy was the primary target. I think slats was going to wait it out to the end and see if he could maybe steal him, but i think the intent all along has been to make a trade for a top center, resign staal and depending on their cap sit at that point sign a ufa forward for secondary scoring or try to make a trade for a guy like that. I think thats been his plan all along
1) Trade for a centerman
2) Resign staal
3) Pick up another top six forward via trade or free agency, cap space permitting

liltedspop
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Gagne to Tampa is official tba shortly

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
If he goes for a center (I'm not convinced, since he's got plenty, although not top-tier), I think he deals for Sharp. Let's hope it's just picks and a low-level prospect to the cap-strapped 'Hawks. Then he'll have to dump some salary.

liltedspop
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
i did not want anything to do with him anyway but it clears some 5 mill in cap space for the Flyers they now have a little wiggle room to get better to, we need to ake a pro active move very soon here.

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
If he goes for a center (I'm not convinced, since he's got plenty, although not top-tier), I think he deals for Sharp. Let's hope it's just picks and a low-level prospect to the cap-strapped 'Hawks.

Id take sharp. He really is more of a 2nd liner in my eyes, but id take him for sure. Personally, i think he'll deal for richards and sign either stempniak or frolov.

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
i did not want anything to do with him anyway but it clears some 5 mill in cap space for the Flyers they now have a little wiggle room to get better to, we need to ake a pro active move very soon here.

Thats a real solid move for tampa- anyone else think that yzerman will be the best gm in hockey one day?

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
If he goes for a center (I'm not convinced, since he's got plenty, although not top-tier), I think he deals for Sharp. Let's hope it's just picks and a low-level prospect to the cap-strapped 'Hawks. Then he'll have to dump some salary.

Sharp is a good option, how many years does he have left on his contract? we would still need a scoring winger tho, nothing too expensive frolov on a 4-4.5 million dollar deal or stempniak on 3.5 million dollar deal.

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Sharp is a good option, how many years does he have left on his contract? we would still need a scoring winger tho, nothing too expensive frolov on a 4-4.5 million dollar deal or stempniak on 3.5 million dollar deal.

Sharp has 2 years left on his deal- owed 4.1 and 4.2 respectively and it carries a cap hit of 3.9- on the other two, it will be higher- with both of those guys, thats pretty much what they made last year and im sure they are both looking for a raise

mmmrevolver93
07-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Sharp has 2 years left on his deal- owed 4.1 and 4.2 respectively and it carries a cap hit of 3.9- on the other two, it will be higher- with both of those guys, thats pretty much what they made last year and im sure they are both looking for a raise

Yea i know, i havent heard of alot of teams in on frolov, but i heard the there was going to be a bidding war over stempniak..

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM

They're taking back another bad Tampa defenseman (this one with a $1.7 mil cap hit for 3 or 4 more years). And still no goalie.

RangersFan14
07-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a gut feeling that Sather has a trick up his sleeve and it will blow everyone's mind

Isca92
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
The only one that has to be asked to move is Drury.

bsi
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

I'd be fine with Sharp, I should have included him in players I would take. I think he'd be a good fit on our first line actually. He's young as well.

Isca92
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd go for Sharp, the question is what would you give for him, they can't take salary back. I do think Chicago will be waiting to find out what Niemi receives in arbitration before dealing Sharp.

liltedspop
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
I have a gut feeling that Sather has a trick up his sleeve and it will blow everyone's mind

he does & its going to be Getzlaf & Ryan for Staal Callahan Grachev & our 1st rd. pick.

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
he does & its going to be Getzlaf & Ryan for Staal Callahan Grachev & our 1st rd. pick.

LTP, where does the cap space come from on this? We dont have it as it stands now- Getzlaf's cap hit is 5.35 and ryan will want probably somewhere between 4.5 and 6. How do we pay for it w/o moving salary back?

saintant182
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM

i really cant see them trading away gatzlaf, let alone getzlaf and ryan, ducks fans would be up in arms!!!!!

Ballistik
07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
No way they trade both of them, but id take either one.

RangersFan14
07-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Is this just a guess or do you have a source?

liltedspop
07-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Is this just a guess or do you have a source?

lets just call it a hot thought for now more to come!

bsi
07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
LTP that is a great deal if we could pull it off but I don't think it's happening. I ofcourse was wrong back in the eighties before so you never know, lol.

bsi
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
DarrenDreger from Twitter

No deal or signing is official until league says so. NHL has 5 days to review Kovalchuk signing.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the league veto'd that signing

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Thats a real solid move for tampa- anyone else think that yzerman will be the best gm in hockey one day?

Only if he gets to make every deal with Holmgren. Or if Bob Gainey gets another job.

dashripdot
07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
The only one that has to be asked to move is Drury.

Rozi and Redden have limited no-trades (5-6 teams they will not go to).

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Only if he gets to make every deal with Holmgren. Or if Bob Gainey gets another job.

Also, maybe Neil Smith gets another GM gig somewhere.

nyr1980
07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
DarrenDreger from Twitter

No deal or signing is official until league says so. NHL has 5 days to review Kovalchuk signing.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the league veto'd that signing

BSI- knew the league had to review and had veto power.
Not that I think it will happen, but what do you know of in the CBA that could produce grounds upon which they could veto?

Isca92
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Its the same type of deal that other players have their is no way it gets turned down. Hossa and Lecavalier are 2 players that come to mind with similar deals.

IkeDavis29
07-20-2010, 01:04 AM
now lets go out and get Frolov

Redfish
07-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Its the same type of deal that other players have their is no way it gets turned down. Hossa and Lecavalier are 2 players that come to mind with similar deals.

I specifically recall league officials commenting after the Hossa signing it would heavily scrutinize any future similar deals, at a minimum. 17yr contracts are pushing things.

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Bowman says Patrick Sharp will not be dealt. He also admits, however, he doesn't know what the solution is to their cap problems. Why doesn't he just clam up until he finds out what the solution is? It's certainly not finding a trade partner for Campbell.

In other cap news, it turns out Kovalchuk's cap hit is about the same as Redden's. Vomit at 11:00.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

Rangers currently have approx $9.75M available under summer cap, need to reserve $5M+ in case of offer sheet to Staal...

http://twitter.com/thenyrangers

#NYR GM Glen Sather: "We're still fielding phone calls, talking with agents, talking with other teams...will be throughout summer"

http://twitter.com/thenyrangers

Think the #NYR are done for the summer? GM Glen Sather exclusive: "There's still some tinkering to do..constant effort to make team better"

Redfish
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Bowman says Patrick Sharp will not be dealt. He also admits, however, he doesn't know what the solution is to their cap problems. Why doesn't he just clam up until he finds out what the solution is? It's certainly not finding a trade partner for Campbell.

In other cap news, it turns out Kovalchuk's cap hit is about the same as Redden's. Vomit at 11:00.

At the end of the day, when it comes to developing a winning product, we simply cannot compete against Lou. He is that good.

It is important to remember, though, this signing of Kovalchuk is a very high risk/high reward proposition. There may not be a player in the game whose game style is different than the Devils' organization and team requirements. I'm not saying Kovy is a selfish player; it's just that what makes him very productive is often counter to how the Devils are constructed to play. And winning with such a prolific star is often very challenging because, in the finals, it is truly the best "team" which wins, not the team with the best "player" or handful of players....If that makes sense. For this reason, I don't think the Capitals will ever win a Stanley Cup with Ovechkin.

But, at the end of the day, we cannot compete with Lou.

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
In the "cap era" it's not just the cap you have to contend with, its the changed style of play. You can't win solely with good defense and without significant scoring threats. You have to have both. To Lamoriello's credit, he belatedly understands the latter consideration, hence the Kovalchuk signing. Is it the right move for a formerly defensive-minded team? Maybe. They did bring in a coach who was a scorer when he played in the Devil's system, so maybe he can make the two sides of their roster mesh well enough to win. Would it have been the right move for the Rangers? Kovalchuk probably would have signed with the Rangers for a lesser length deal, but it would have been possible only if Sather hadn't crippled the organization with the Drury, Redden and Rozsival contracts. At least two of those shackles will be off in two years from now and, instead of free agents, maybe the most and best talent will come from within the organization.

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 10:30 AM
At the end of the day, when it comes to developing a winning product, we simply cannot compete against Lou. He is that good.

It is important to remember, though, this signing of Kovalchuk is a very high risk/high reward proposition. There may not be a player in the game whose game style is different than the Devils' organization and team requirements. I'm not saying Kovy is a selfish player; it's just that what makes him very productive is often counter to how the Devils are constructed to play. And winning with such a prolific star is often very challenging because, in the finals, it is truly the best "team" which wins, not the team with the best "player" or handful of players....If that makes sense. For this reason, I don't think the Capitals will ever win a Stanley Cup with Ovechkin.

But, at the end of the day, we cannot compete with Lou.

I disagree the caps will win a cup with ovechkin.

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I disagree the caps will win a cup with ovechkin.

If they improve their defense and find a goaltender.

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM

i watched a bunch of caps games last year, that kid John Carlson looks like he is going to be a very good defenseman... and im telling you, varlamov is the real deal.

NYRangerFan76
07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Our team sucks... seriously. What is wrong with Sather & Dolan? We passed on two great opportunities? I understand the salary cap thing but this team is owned by a guy who owns Cablevision and Newsday? The money is there if needed. We keep signing these no name guys. Players who don't make any headlines or noise?

The only way to get rid of Redden is to send him to the minors. This puts him on waivers and then only another team can claim him. But Redden will have to take a pay cut to sign with another team because who in their right mind will take him with that kind of money he wants?

I look at our current roster and say we have a repeat of last year? I know it takes time to build a solid team with youth but I am very skeptical on the players we have signed. We made no big moves this off season. Eventually King Henrik is going to want to play with a #1 contender. I don't see that happening for a while.

thatguy
07-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I find it hard to believe Dolan wont eat the rest of Reddens salary if need be. I mean he did it with marbury and that didnt help out the knicks at all. If we do this with redden we could get more money under the cap. This is nuts. I dont understand it... Is Dolan a fan at all?

bsi
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I think we're on the right track myself. As with other teams that have had success in the last few years you have to work within the cap and using your draft picks wisely is crucial to that. Do I think we're a Stanley Cup team next year? No I don't, but I also don't think we are one with Kovalchuk either. What I do think is that Kreider is the real deal, McDonagh and MDZ are both gonna be a great D men, Bourque and Stepan have excellent potential, Callahan and Dubinsky are good players who can be a lot better given experience, Grachev has the skills and frame to be a really good player if he can turn it around, Anisimov is gonna get better and better and currently we have 3 picks in he first two rounds next year, not to mention Gaborik, Christensen, Girardi, Staal and Hendrick and hopefully MZA has a good year. IMO we are on track to be a really good team within 3 years. At that time, we'll be rid of Rosival's and Drury's contract and have one year left on Redden's if he isn't bought out by then. At that point we'll have money to add to our youngsters to give them the help they need to get to the finals. I'm ok with losing a couple years if I see that there's a plan in place for down the road. Buying players to win hasn't helped us at all since 1994, and it's a different time with the cap, so we are gonna have to adjust like everyone else.

liltedspop
07-20-2010, 11:54 AM
!

Redfish
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Improving the defense and goaltending likely requires them to go over their cap space and deal some players; it wouldn't be the same team. If Varlomov can be re-signed next year at a reasonable price AND grows into a top-tier goaltender, then maybe. But, their are ways to counter OV to a modest enough degree which allows other top teams to beat the Caps, as presently constructed. Or at least that is how I see it.

nyr1980
07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Improving the defense and goaltending likely requires them to go over their cap space and deal some players; it wouldn't be the same team. If Varlomov can be re-signed next year at a reasonable price AND grows into a top-tier goaltender, then maybe. But, their are ways to counter OV to a modest enough degree which allows other top teams to beat the Caps, as presently constructed. Or at least that is how I see it.

Theyll have quite a bit of cap room next summer- enough to resign semin and varlamov and add a defenseman- they may have to sacrifice brooks laich though, but that team is gonna be around.

Redfish
07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Theyll have quite a bit of cap room next summer- enough to resign semin and varlamov and add a defenseman- they may have to sacrifice brooks laich though, but that team is gonna be around.

If that's the case, then, that might get them over the top! Shows you how hard it is to win the cup when you have players like OV, Semin and Green.

liltedspop
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
alright guys the Great & powerful EK claims we're in on something & it's a top 6 forward!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Canadiens-Heavy-Interest-in-Bieksa-RangersKings-may-battle-WildKaberle/1/29421

SLY WILLIAMS
07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
alright guys the Great & powerful EK claims we're in on something & it's a top 6 forward!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Canadiens-Heavy-Interest-in-Bieksa-RangersKings-may-battle-WildKaberle/1/29421

It's a bit unclear as to "who" both teams are targeting, but i have now talked to several people in the past few hours who say they are both "interested in the same top 6 guy." When I get more I will update this blog or put it into my next one.

LTP
I have no problems with rumors if they have some sort of backing but realistically speaking EK spoke to "several people" and all of them where willing to tell him the Kings and Rangers were both interested in the same top 6 fwd but none of the "several people" were willing to tell him a name? That doesnt really pass the giggle test.

The Kings and Rangers both wanted Kovy so its logical to think they may have turned their sight elsewhere but this kind of rumor just sounds like spit-balling or throwing a dart at a board.

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
There have been rumors of the Kings being interested in Savard, so IF both they and the Rangers are interested in the same forward it might be him. If there was some reasonable expectation of his continued good health, it might be worth it. He's got a cap-friendly contract if he doesn't get another concussion, but the question, eternally, is who would the Rangers give up to get him? Don't overpay in prospects for a $4 mil cap hit for several years if he misses significant time for concussions on the horizon.

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
i watched a bunch of caps games last year, that kid John Carlson looks like he is going to be a very good defenseman... and im telling you, varlamov is the real deal.

Yes, Carlson is very good, but they didn't help themselves on the backline yet this offseason. They have cap room, unless they're reserving it for re-signing Semin. I would be nearly as nervous about Varlamov as the Flyers are about Leighton as their number one. Especially if Neuvirth is the Caps' #2.

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
There have been rumors of the Kings being interested in Savard, so IF both they and the Rangers are interested in the same forward it might be him. If there was some reasonable expectation of his continued good health, it might be worth it. He's got a cap-friendly contract if he doesn't get another concussion, but the question, eternally, is who would the Rangers give up to get him? Don't overpay in prospects for a $4 mil cap hit for several years if he misses significant time for concussions on the horizon.

i think its frolov

nyr1980
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Hope its a higher end guy than frolov.

As for trading out of the pick/prospect/good young nhler- I understand anyones reluctance, but you have to assume not every single one of these guys will even get a shot with this team. im not saying to trade the farm, but you can part with a couple of pieces like that for the right player and still have plenty left over

apdamico
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
now lets go out and get Frolov

With the lack of interest in signing him, maybe he'll take the 3-year, 11 million deal the Rangers originally offered him. I don't know if it's still on the table since we re-signed Prospal after Frolov turned down the initial offer. He may be KHL bound.

Al Trautwig
07-20-2010, 02:59 PM
while im totally down for the getzlaf ryan deal i also just dont think its happening that the ducks would trade 2 of their top guys on their team. however i would definitely be looking into trading for just ryan or his rights for staal and a little extra perhaps because this kid is only 23 and is already scoring 35 goals a year and has HUGE upside and wouldnt come at a crazy cap number that could harm our team in the future like kovy's potentially could have...and on frolov i would sign him if he took that 3 yr 11 mil deal but nothing above that because in my eyes he is too much of a risk and not enough of a reward which i think the kings also realize but we'll see...

apdamico
07-20-2010, 03:01 PM
We have already made a couple deals with the Ducks this off-season for Eminger and McCue, maybe the next deal with them will be more of a block-buster in acquiring Ryan.

Bleeds MSG
07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Sly- EK also wrote earlier that the Kings were turning to Spezza or possible Vinny L, both of which have been linked to the Rangers recently so I wouldnt be surprised if one of those players were the "top 6 guy" being referred to.

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
On the frolov topic he is not going to accept a 3 year 11 million dollar deal.... and in all honesty he is a better player than that salary. I understand he had a bad year last year and his character has been questioned but he does have a very high upside and is a legitimate scoring threat. Id give him the money on a short term deal. Id give him 3 years and 14 million. Then the term of the deal makes it a low risk high reward signing IMO. His contract is then movable and if he doesnt work out his contract can be dealt with.

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Sly- EK also wrote earlier that the Kings were turning to Spezza or possible Vinny L, both of which have been linked to the Rangers recently so I wouldnt be surprised if one of those players were the "top 6 guy" being referred to.

good point.

Al Trautwig
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
ya but on eklund's twitter page it says "Rangers/Kings Battle over mystery UFA" so it doesnt seem like it is a trade

Bleeds MSG
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
ya but on eklund's twitter page it says "Rangers/Kings Battle over mystery UFA" so it doesnt seem like it is a trade

"Kings/Rangers may battle" is what it says on hockeybuzz. Does not say anything about UFA there.

Bleeds MSG
07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
If it is indeed a UFA that would have to be Frolov, who else is a potential top six UFA? And I would not like that signing.

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 03:23 PM

good point lol

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Hope its a higher end guy than frolov.

As for trading out of the pick/prospect/good young nhler- I understand anyones reluctance, but you have to assume not every single one of these guys will even get a shot with this team. im not saying to trade the farm, but you can part with a couple of pieces like that for the right player and still have plenty left over

Yes, but let some develop first, or you'll run the risk of giving up the better one in trade.

dashripdot
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
If it's Frolov, Sather will drive the price up beyond what he's worth. E5. (that's a joke there at the end.)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM

I got ya. Could be them....or anyone. That was kind of my point. Think well now that Kovy is gone who will the Rangers/Kings look at. Why not say unnamed player that way you can claim you are right no matter who it is (if anything happens). Would it make sense for "several people" to all tell him the same thing but all the "several people" independently refuse to name a name? :)

mmmrevolver93
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I got ya. Could be them....or anyone. That was kind of my point. Think well now that Kovy is gone who will the Rangers/Kings look at. Why not say unnamed player that way you can claim you are right no matter who it is (if anything happens). Would it make sense for "several people" to all tell him the same thing but all the "several people" independently refuse to name a name? :)

I would say its frolov, and i think the rangers have the edge bc lombardi doesnt seem that interested unless he take a pay cut. Hypothetically, lets say the rangers sign frolov, does he play on the 1st or 2nd line? He would probably benefit from being with gaborik but on the other hand does it make sense to load up the 1st line while the other lines remain the same.

Isca92
07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
The Kings don't want to go out and say OK were going after this guy, because if they lose out there is going to be a huge backlash from the fans. The big moves especially when sending fan favorites in a trade you gotta keep quiet until done.

"No wonder why season ticket holders were reportedly canceling in droves today. " - Matthew Barry, on hockeybuzz.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matthew-Barry/What-The-Hell-Went-Wrong/125/29409

NYRangerFan76
07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I say the Rangers repeat the same season they had last year... I am a huge Ranger fan and I have had faith in them even while they missed several playoff seasons. But I have no faith in our current roster. I just don't. With the money Dolan has and the brain power behind Sather, why couldn't we sign any of the great pure goal scorers that were free agents? Seriously... ?

I am trying to understand it all but nobody has convinced why a huge New York franchise that should be in playoff contention every year has to miss the playoffs? I understand the team is trying improve every year. But while you try to improve you sign players who need at least 5 seasons to get better? When in fact you could of had pure goal scoring products already well seasoned? Nobody has given me a good reason or real answer to their method of madness? I think its called Dolan and Sather don't have a clue how to build a good franchise!!!

apdamico
07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
"Kings/Rangers may battle" is what it says on hockeybuzz. Does not say anything about UFA there.

One would think it would have to be Frolov, since the Rangers are the only other team (accept for the Kings) who showed any interest at all in signing him.

thatguy
07-21-2010, 04:11 PM
any twitter updates?