PDA

View Full Version : Marcum's Trade Value

jmoney23
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
With the pitching depth we have and the pure speculation about possibly moving Marcum, what do you think Marcum's trade value would be?

Also who would you want in return from a team (pick one), keeping in mind the return would have to be a realistic package.

Asham
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
A top prospect

The_Realist
07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I think we all agree that Marcum is a phenomenal pitcher. However, I'm not sure the rest of the league feels the same way. I think that to maximize our assets we should think about locking Marcum up with a long term deal. The guy who we should consider trading is Romero, who I think the league really likes. We could probably get a great package for Romero. Call me crazy.

Bjaxn45
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I think we all agree that Marcum is a phenomenal pitcher. However, I'm not sure the rest of the league feels the same way. I think that to maximize our assets we should think about locking Marcum up with a long term deal. The guy who we should consider trading is Romero, who I think the league really likes. We could probably get a great package for Romero. Call me crazy.

You're not wrong. People around the league always value the guy with better stuff because everybody thinks they can solve control problems and such. Stupidly imo everyone would rate Morrow ahead of him too just because of his stuff.

Marcum should have more value but the slow throwing control type is a dime a dozen to the league even if his control is outstanding. I wouldn't want to trade any of our guys right now other than Litsch but his value is minimal.

That all being said, I'd have to get an amazing offer to consider trading Romero. We're talking 2/3's of the Halladay deal. The point is, Romero is a KEY guy in our rotation of the future so I don't think that's in the plans.

returnofvdub'10
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Marcums value is more than just pitching. he is the staff leader. When Morrow was having troubles getting the ball where he wanted it, it was marcum who came to him and showed him some footage of when he was having success where he was standing tall in his delivery. Morrow listened, went back to his old approach and has looked really comfortable ever since.

We just lost one ace....lets lock this guy up!

mad_mooney
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I think to maximize Marcum's trade value, the Jays would be wise to not consider trading him until at least this point next year but likely after the 2011 season....

He is a great pitcher but at the moment, he has got the stink of injury on him.

If the Jays try to trade him right now, before he has had a chance to re-establish his durability, they would not likely get a top prospect back.

So sign him to short term deals until he has had a chance to prove himself and, if needed, trade him then.

The_905
07-19-2010, 01:43 PM
We should lock him up, he is the leader of this young staff.

Goalie31
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Hes not going anywhere

Pride
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
If we do decide to trade Marcum, now is not the time. As the posters above have already mentioned, Marcum's value is not really that high right now due to his injuries. It'd be better to keep him around than trading him away when his value is not its highest. He also seems to be a team leader in the clubhouse, which I think is very good for our young pitching staff.

StayOnBoard
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Its really simple... if we get blown away with an offer, then trade him... if not - he stays...

He's a great pitcher and a leader.. I see no reason to move him for parts - but if someone came along with a HUGE haul (like what the M's got for Lee kinda thing) then you have to pull the trigger.

BlueJayFanDan
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Great offer we move him. No great offers hes a keeper. That simple.

2009mvp
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Marcums value is more than just pitching. he is the staff leader. When Morrow was having troubles getting the ball where he wanted it, it was marcum who came to him and showed him some footage of when he was having success where he was standing tall in his delivery. Morrow listened, went back to his old approach and has looked really comfortable ever since.

We just lost one ace....lets lock this guy up!

I'd love to know where you heard that...

Dol-Fan
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Its really simple... if we get blown away with an offer, then trade him... if not - he stays...

He's a great pitcher and a leader.. I see no reason to move him for parts - but if someone came along with a HUGE haul (like what the M's got for Lee kinda thing) then you have to pull the trigger.

Agreed. To add to that, I think we have to be specific in our requests for a guy like Marcum. Stud 3B or OF prospect or no dice. Everything else we have fairly solid depth.

nithanyo
07-20-2010, 01:15 AM
I think we all agree that Marcum is a phenomenal pitcher. However, I'm not sure the rest of the league feels the same way. I think that to maximize our assets we should think about locking Marcum up with a long term deal. The guy who we should consider trading is Romero, who I think the league really likes. We could probably get a great package for Romero. Call me crazy.Trading Romero is stupid since he has some of the best stuff in the rotation.* Marcum i can understand with the injures and possible decline. You would be taking a step back by dealing romero unless it was a package you cant refuse.And can someone please tell me where we get this idea we have incredible pitching depth? Do we have a single pitching prospect projected to be an ace? Sure we drafted a **** load of pitchers but noone of them are projected to be major leaguers yet. Beyond drabek who else do we got. Even drabek is at AA no?