PDA

View Full Version : What position is the least needed to succeed at the NBA level?

29$JerZ
07-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Every position is obviously important but which of the 5 is the weakest one where you can get away without having any good/solid players at?

Wade>You
07-19-2010, 05:28 AM
If I had to go with one, I'd go with Small Forward. But you really need to fill every position in order to stand a chance.

romaldinho
07-19-2010, 05:31 AM
I think every team needs a big player at the first 4 spots at least,Centers are lacking in quality in terms of other positions so i would say Center.
There isnt too many Superstar Centers(D Howard) in the league and i think this shows how key the PF position is.
Centers only really have to be good rebounders/defenders these days on championship contender teams i.e Lakers,Celtics,Heat,Mavs etc.
Special exception Magic.

Iggz53
07-19-2010, 05:34 AM
It's hard to answer this because it's hard to define "weakest". Someone like Perkins or a younger Dampier don't put up stats but can be incredibly valuable for interior defense, something that is crucial for teams. So in that sense, I suppose I'll go with C.

Niro
07-19-2010, 06:25 AM
i say its on eof the wings (voted sg)

you can see the impact that bigs have even if they are not the best player on their team in la, thats why i dint vote for c

Niro
07-19-2010, 06:25 AM
i say its on eof the wings (voted sg)

you can see the impact that bigs have even if they are not the best player on their team in la, thats why i dint vote for c

MickeyMgl
07-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Missionary

Magic Bean Fury
07-19-2010, 08:39 AM
center, it's a dying breed. Center was the backbone of many teams in the 90's, the dream, ewing, dikembe, shaq. Now, there is Howard.

TheWatcher34
07-19-2010, 08:57 AM

clferg75
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
center, it's a dying breed. Center was the backbone of many teams in the 90's, the dream, ewing, dikembe, shaq. Now, there is Howard.

I voted for center, but it just depends on how the team is built. How many titles did Ewing, Akeem, Dikembe, and Shaq win in the 90's. The Bulls didnt need a center, but that has to do with the triangle more than a great center.

heattiltheend94
07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
SF. Look at Lakers, Orlando, Jazz, and Suns (last year). All of them did great, but none of them had a great SF.

wmudford
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
It depends on what you already have on your team. If you have lebron on your team, you dont have to have a true pg. therefore it's not necessarily a need. You can make a case for all positions for different scenarios. In reality when you build your team from scratch, it doesnt matter where you start. You just have to make sure you have someone who can handle the ball.

Brooklyn Mets
07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
small foward because you have the least amount of responsibility on the court
point guard is most imprtant
center/ shooting guard
power foward
small foward

koreancabbage
07-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Missionary

this.

lol

/thread

koreancabbage
07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
1A) small forward
1B) center

Ragan
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
It's more about 'roles' than 'positions.' That having been said, if you look at the last 20 NBA champions, only the Spurs (3 with Tony Parker) and the Pistons (1 with Chauncey Billups) really had a point guard worth anything (remember Rondo was just a rookie along for the ride when Boston won and Gary Payton was old as balls when he won with the Heat).

The rest of the teams got away with Derek Fishers and John Paxsons because they had a Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Paul Pierce, or Michael Jordan who could handle the ball and take over as the de facto PG in key situations.

In short, you need someone who can fill the 'roles' of distributor, wing scorer, post scorer, perimeter defender, and post defender. What traditional position they play doesn't matter. For this poll, however, I picked PG because they can usually only be a PG and aren't tall enough or good enough off the ball to do anything else, whereas there are plenty of SGs and SFs who can handle the point if necessary.

Russell_Roberts
07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
small foward.. most important is center and pg

Steelers23_06
07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
i wanted to say small foward but if you look at most franchises they had agreat small foward like pippen, pierce, bird. ithink its center because you dont need him to essentially be skilled but to just have the ability to be tall and put your hands up so you dont need to be skilled to do that. samll fowards imo need to defend if your ever gonna compete for a ring. but at the same time you need to hold down the paint so idk its all needed at the end of the day

Sixerlover
07-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Like Ragan said, it's more about a players' role than their position. If you have Chauncey Billups and Carmelo then obviously you can get away with a below average SG..

But if you have Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams you might need an above average SG. All depends on their roles

awmathewsjr
07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
SF hands down, look at the past champs(with the exception of the Bulls)

Steelers23_06
07-19-2010, 10:25 AM
and fyi ragan rondo wasnt a rookie for the ride he was sophmore

thenaj17
07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
and fyi ragan rondo wasnt a rookie for the ride he was sophmore

And for your info, it's spelt Rajon Rondo and he was still their weakest starter at the time

Pistol_Pete
07-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Of course everyone is going to argue here. If you say center, are you going to remove Dwight Howard from Orlando? No. If you say shooting guard, are you going to remove Kobe from the Lakers? No. Personally I can't see how you can pick any position other than small forward, but are you going to get rid of LeBron? No.

It used to be "the guy who is too big to be a SG but too small to be a PF" though that's changed a bit. Most guys can move over and fill in a at the 3. Obviously it depends on the players, but if each player were equal at their positions and you had to play 4 on 4 you'd most likely eliminate the small forward.

First, you'd probably take a C, then a PG. Then depending on your coach, if you want to play post you'd go PF, if you want to go long range and quick, you go SG. Follow that up with the position you didn't pick. Then your final position is SF.

Again, this is with all things being equal, selecting unknown players.

MrfadeawayJB
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I say C..becuase if you look at every other position, they can all do what a C can do, only difference is height..while the C cannot do what the guards or forwards can sometimes do...

Ragan
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
And for your info, it's spelt Rajon Rondo and he was still their weakest starter at the time

i think he was responding back to my comment, like "FYI Ragan, Rondo was a sophmore." but thanks for the backup; yes, Rondo was a sophmore and not a rookie (my mistake) but he was definitely not the player then that he is now, which was my point.

MacFitz92
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
This question is impossible to answer. It just depends on the situation, and how good the players are around that position.

ballpd05
07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Alot of people say Center, but I disagree. Look at all of the good teams and they have a Center that does their job at anchoring the defense. I would go with one of the wing players.

I think you need one good wing player, but the other one doesn't need to be as great maybe a "defensive stopper" or spot up shooter.

FOBolous
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
It's more about 'roles' than 'positions.' That having been said, if you look at the last 20 NBA champions, only the Spurs (3 with Tony Parker) and the Pistons (1 with Chauncey Billups) really had a point guard worth anything (remember Rondo was just a rookie along for the ride when Boston won and Gary Payton was old as balls when he won with the Heat).

The rest of the teams got away with Derek Fishers and John Paxsons because they had a Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Paul Pierce, or Michael Jordan who could handle the ball and take over as the de facto PG in key situations.

In short, you need someone who can fill the 'roles' of distributor, wing scorer, post scorer, perimeter defender, and post defender. What traditional position they play doesn't matter. For this poll, however, I picked PG because they can usually only be a PG and aren't tall enough or good enough off the ball to do anything else, whereas there are plenty of SGs and SFs who can handle the point if necessary.

:clap: plus not team have ever won the championship with a PG as their #1 option.

And I can believe so many of you are picking the center position. Centers are the backbone to almost every championship team in the history of the NBA.

blastmasta26
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
This question is impossible to answer. It just depends on the situation, and how good the players are around that position.
I agree with this.

Ethix11
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I went with PG. He cant rebound and if your SG can handle the ball...

Kevj77
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
PG, but that's only because my team runs the triangle and doesn't need a true PG.

nuggetsyankees
07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
it all depends on the system your team is in...the Lakers weakest position last year was PG

Raoul Duke
07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
If I had to pick, I guess I'd say two guards because they're a dime a dozen.

topdog
07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I voted SF, but it really depends upon your team. If you're the Lakers, you probably don't need a great point. If you were the Cavs, you probably didn't need a great SG.

J-Relo
07-19-2010, 01:46 PM
You have to have a big man, a solid wing and a playmaker... in that case it's either wing or big (mainly center). It might be point guard only if you have other playmaking guy (rare case). It's a wing if you have a solid PG and a big or two. Sometimes it's enough to be on the court and shoot given the opportunity. Center if you have some help in the paint, let's say a solid PF.

1. SF
2. SG
3. C
4. PF
5. PG

losbreezy
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Hands down SF.

dpospish
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone is saying SF because that is what position Lebron plays, and everyone wants to hate on him.

masalex1205
07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Missionary

lol (and very true)

SupeUnagi
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
who the hell said PG?

RocketPower2010
07-19-2010, 04:54 PM
SF hands down, look at the past champs(with the exception of the Bulls)

Pierce is a SF...

RocketPower2010
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
And missionary only if the girl's pretty.

flyinlow
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Without a doubt SF

Geargo Wallace
07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
PG - see Lakers

Kobe5RingKing
07-19-2010, 05:28 PM
enactive players
ex:mbenga , morrison