PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins named Rookie of the Summer League

asandhu23
07-18-2010, 10:37 PM
The top pick apparently wasn’t Summer League’s best rookie despite leading the circuit in assists (7.8) and being tied for the scoring lead (23.5) going into Sunday. That honor goes to DeMarcus Cousins.

The fifth selection by Sacramento was awarded the T-Mobile Rookie of the Month award for July, receiving the glass trophy before the Kings played Dallas in the last game at COX Pavilion.
Complete Summer League coverage on NBA.com
Prior to Sacrament’s finals, Cousins led the league in rebounding at 10.6 and was averaging 16.2 points in five games. He’s been a force through Summer League, giving Sacramento an intimidating presence in the paint.

Wall, though, easily made the biggest impact of any of the rookie. Washington’s also prized playmaker played under the brightest spotlight.

Cousins’ selection as top rookie over Wall comes off as somewhat curious. Perhaps the fact that the Wizards left yesterday tipped the scales in Cousins’ favor. Can’t have a trophy presentation without someone to present it to.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/07/18/cousins-named-top-sl-rookie/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

dnewguy
07-18-2010, 10:43 PM
maybe they did the voting before his 1-12fg yesterday....dude is a bust, no joke.

Gators123
07-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I think he only shot 30% in summer league.

ldc62
07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Did they not count the last 2 games that he had?

Ragun
07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
:pity: wall should of gotten it.

Jays Claw
07-18-2010, 11:02 PM
This is a horrible pick. :facepalm:

tredigs
07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I think he only shot 30% in summer league.

Both Wall and Cousins shot 37%. Pretty horrible.

Javale McGee was probably the best player. 19.5 pts 9 rebs on nearly 70% shooting. Can't see how that doesn't trump Cousins, but who cares.

Cousins definitely looked like **** in his last game, though. He couldn't make a shot, was playing lazy defense, and was visibly frustrated the entire time he was out there. The others I saw he was solid, though.

topdog
07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Was it because Wall sat out the last game? 'Cuz he was definitely the main attraction. Why do they even have this thing though? Seriously, Randy Foye was Summerleague MVP a few years back and we all know how that turned out.

SAiNi_21
07-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Javale McGee was probably the best player. 19.5 pts 9 rebs on nearly 70% shooting. Can't see how that doesn't trump Cousins, but who cares.

Cousins definitely looked like **** in his last game, though. He couldn't make a shot, was playing lazy defense, and was visibly frustrated the entire time he was out there. The others I saw he was solid, though.

I agree with you that Javale McGee was better then Wall and Cousins but the award was best rookie which eliminates McGee from the running.

Lake_Show2416
07-18-2010, 11:07 PM
maybe they did the voting before his 1-12fg yesterday....dude is a bust, no joke.

you can tell he's a bust from 1 bad summer league game?

summer league is a joke. It's only 5 games. who cares

avrpatsfan
07-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Wall got robbed but who cares it's the ****ing summer league.

Gators123
07-18-2010, 11:10 PM

I just looked again, he shot 37% in his first 5 games and his 6th game today he went 1-12 and that dropped him down to 30%. lol, but either way that's not good.

raidersrock99
07-18-2010, 11:14 PM
ya basically hes the ****

Green Storm
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Derrick Caracter anyone?

mark1125
07-18-2010, 11:24 PM
you can tell he's a bust from 1 bad summer league game?

summer league is a joke. It's only 5 games. who cares

To be fair, half the forum was ready to annoint him ROY after his first handful of summer league games.

Summer league means absolutely zippo.

gbpackers12
07-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I thought Wall deserved it, but whatever, it's Summer League.

tredigs
07-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I just looked again, he shot 37% in his first 5 games and his 6th game today he went 1-12 and that dropped him down to 30%. lol, but either way that's not good.

That didn't even include his last game? Yuck.

I agree with you that Javale McGee was better then Wall and Cousins but the award was best rookie which eliminates McGee from the running.

Ah Ok, that makes more sense then.

Sadds The Gr8
07-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Makes sense...only thing you forgot to mention is that Javale ISNT A ROOKIE:p

Lake_Show2416
07-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I thought Wall deserved it, but whatever, it's Summer League.

i think the turnovers held him back some from getting it

gbpackers12
07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
i think the turnovers held him back some from getting it

That would be my guess too. That and he sat the last game.

Catfish1314
07-18-2010, 11:44 PM

Try to justify this statement. Try.

Cousins dominated until these last two games. He was tired and thus his conditioning problems were exposed. He probably won't play more than 25-27 MPG this season because of those very same conditioning issues.

That said, two or three bad games in the Summer League...the Summer League...do not make him a bust. Just like the five or so good ones he had don't make him a definite superstar. Anyone who says he's a bust based off the Summer League might want to explore an interest in something other than basketball.

pistonsfanomg
07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
rofl DeMarcus Cousins is playing against chump centers in the Summer League.

Ill wait before I make my judgement

jiggin
07-18-2010, 11:46 PM
I won't go as far as call ANY PLAYER after summer camp a BUST...cause that is just stupid over the top talk...but calling him the MVP of the summer league is completely ignoring the other teams and players.

Shoot from the hip type of award I guess...I smell an underline agenda

Goalie31
07-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Ed Davis played pretty well

Mr.Chi-Town
07-19-2010, 12:11 AM
"First overall pick John Wall of Washington dazzled crowds and earned the MVP award. The league also showcased the majority of last month’s first-round picks, including Rookie of the Month DeMarcus Cousins of Sacramento."

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/07/18/record-summer-league-wraps/

Bishnoff
07-19-2010, 12:26 AM

:facepalm:

sargon21
07-19-2010, 12:31 AM
i think he has a chance to win ROY

Ray_R
07-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Wtf?

ldc62
07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
i think he has a chance to win ROY

So do I. But Wall will win it.

CityofTreez
07-19-2010, 01:05 AM
lol @ the guy who labelled him a joke :laugh2:

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Demarcus had a good overall summer league.

He played 6 games in 7 nights...and its obvious that the fatigue got to him...but still...summer league isnt about stats...its about showing what you can do on the court.

Cousins showed that he can pass, shoot, rebound, and pretty much do everything you want a center to do on the court. He commanded double teams...and did a good job of recognizing them and making the smart passes for the most part.

He needs work on his conditioning a lot...but he has showed us all that he has the tools to make a serious impact in this league.

Congratz to him for the award...but Im sure he has bigger and better goals.

The_Jamal
07-19-2010, 02:00 AM
DMC doing work. Dude owned in Summer League like he should. Idrc about the last couple games, 6 games in 7 nights and he played a good portion of all of them. He only played 23 mins in college, so this was a big transition for him. Conditioning has been the #1 priority for Cousins and he shown he's dedicated to losing it, has he's already lost some this summer.

The_Jamal
07-19-2010, 02:05 AM
rofl DeMarcus Cousins is playing against chump centers in the Summer League.

Ill wait before I make my judgement

Just because he beat the crap outta Monroe, doesn't mean you should be hating on Cousins :clap:

XerxestheGreat
07-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Whatever........................

A. Bynum > (his lil') Cousin

arkanian215
07-19-2010, 03:00 AM
John Wall(notes) sat comfortably on the bench in a white T-shirt and pants during the Washington Wizards’ summer league finale Saturday afternoon in Las Vegas. The Wizards gave Wall the game off because they already had seen enough from their rookie guard – almost all of it good.

Other than a slow start in his first game, Wall dazzled Las Vegas, making him – and the Wizards – the big winners of summer league. Here’s a look at who did well and not so well during the NBA’s two summer sessions in Orlando and Las Vegas.

WINNER: John Wall
More From Marc J. Spears

* Scott ready to guide rebuilding Cavs Jul 17, 2010
* Washburn traveled long road to recovery Jul 15, 2010

Wall dominated the Las Vegas summer league, averaging 23.5 points and 7.8 assists – both highs for the league – in four games. The Wizards rookie needs to work on his jump shot (he missed all but one of his eight 3-point attempts) and he also committed an average of 5.2 turnovers. Even so, Wall showed off not only his own scoring prowess, but also the ability to make his teammates better.

He displayed leadership and accepted coaching – both important traits for someone who will be the centerpiece of the Wizards’ rebuilding.

LOSER: Evan Turner(notes)

While Wall lived up to expectations as the top pick of the draft, the No. 2 selection had a much more difficult time.

Turner was the biggest disappointment of the Orlando summer league, averaging just 9.4 points on 33.3 percent shooting. He also averaged more turnovers (3.4) than assists (2.8). The Philadelphia 76ers rookie didn’t appear to be in great shape. He rebounded well, but never scored more than 13 points in five games.
DeMarcus Cousins
(NBAE/ Getty Images)

WINNER: Sacramento Kings

Rookie center DeMarcus Cousins(notes) played well inside and out. He hit the midrange shot, passed well and already commanded double-teams.

The No. 5 overall pick also quieted questions about his maturity. He accepted constructive criticism and showed some leadership on Sacramento’s summer league team.

Hassan Whiteside(notes), a 7-foot forward-center taken 33rd by the Kings, was Vegas’ most intimidating shot-blocker. He’ll need to get a lot stronger, but he already has shown some promise.

LOSER: Derrick Favors(notes)

The third pick in the draft averaged just seven shots in the New Jersey Nets’ first four summer league games in Orlando because teammate Terrence Williams(notes) was busy hoisting away. Williams, the Nets’ second-year guard, averaged 19 shots a game.

When the Nets limited Williams to just four minutes in their finale, Favors went for 23 points and 11 rebounds while making 10 of his 17 shots. If the Nets could do it over, they might want to feature Favors a little more prominently.

WINNER: Jrue Holiday(notes)

The Sixers’ second-year point guard built a strong case in front of new coach Doug Collins for why he should be starting. Holiday, 20, averaged 19.3 points, six assists and 1.7 steals in three games.
Wesley Johnson
(NBAE/ Getty Images)

LOSER: Minnesota Timberwolves

Wesley Johnson(notes), the third overall pick for the T’wolves, played in just one game in Las Vegas because of a hamstring injury. Second-year Wolves guard Jonny Flynn(notes) also didn’t play in the summer league because of a hip injury.

With Johnson and Flynn out, it was the Patrick O’Bryant(notes) and Wayne Ellington(notes) show for Minnesota in Vegas.

WINNER: New York Knicks

The Knicks didn’t have a first-round pick in this year’s draft, but did display three second-rounders in Vegas who might be able to make an impact as reserves: forward Landry Fields(notes), sharpshooter Andy Rautins(notes) and 7-foot center Jerome Jordan(notes). Swingman Bill Walker(notes), just 22 years old, also showed promise that he might be ready to become a rotation player.

Amar’e Stoudemire(notes), the new face of the Knicks franchise, supported the young players by attending several of their games.

LOSER: Ekpe Udoh(notes)

The Golden State Warriors’ first-round pick missed the Las Vegas summer league after undergoing surgery on his injured left wrist that will keep him out six months. The absence of Udoh certainly has Warriors fans wondering if the franchise should have instead selected Greg Monroe(notes) with the No. 6 pick.

The Warriors did have a bright spot in forward Reggie Williams(notes), who averaged 22.3 points.

WINNER: Indiana Pacers

The Pacers gambled when they drafted Fresno State guard Paul George(notes) with the 11th overall pick, but George didn’t disappoint in Orlando. He not only scored well, averaging 15.2 points, but also grabbed 7.8 rebounds and was a better-than-expected defender with 2.4 steals per game.

Guard Lance Stephenson(notes) and forward Magnum Rolle(notes), both second-round picks of the Pacers, also proved worthy of roster spots.

WINNER: Toronto Raptors

Chris Bosh(notes) is gone, but the Raptors might have found a younger version of him in first-round pick Ed Davis(notes). Expect the skilled Davis to be a force for the Raptors once he adds muscle to his slender 6-10, 227-pound frame.

Swingmen DeMar DeRozan(notes) and Sonny Weems(notes) also showed their athleticism and versatility in Las Vegas.

LOSER: Former Jayhawks

The University of Kansas had two lottery picks in center Cole Aldrich(notes) and Xavier Henry(notes), but neither played in summer league. Aldrich didn’t play for the Oklahoma City Thunder because league rules prevented his trade from New Orleans from being finalized until July 8 – too late for him to jump onto the Thunder’s entry in Orlando.

Henry didn’t play for the Memphis Grizzlies in Las Vegas because his rookie contract had yet to be finalized.

WINNER: The unheralded

Forwards Devin Ebanks(notes) and Derrick Caracter(notes), taken by the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round, both showed promise. The Boston Celtics landed a power forward in the second round who could help them immediately off the bench: Luke Harangody(notes) averaged 16.6 points and made nine of his 18 3-pointers.

Other intriguing lesser-known summer league players included Utah forward Jeremy Evans(notes), sharpshooting Dallas guard Jeremy Lin, Cleveland point guard Pooh Jeter and Boston guard Jaycee Carroll. Lin went undrafted and Jeter and Carroll have both been playing overseas.

LOSER: Los Angeles Clippers
"Clipper Darrell"
(NBAE/ Getty Images)

The Clippers received solid play from their two first-round picks, forward Al-Farouq Aminu(notes) and guard Eric Bledsoe(notes). Forward Blake Griffin(notes), the No. 1 pick of the 2009 draft, participated in practice, but was held out of summer league games after missing all of last season with a broken left kneecap.

Still, one of the most memorable scenes in Las Vegas came when Clippers president Andy Roeser scolded the franchise’s most passionate fan for heckling John Wall during a summer league game.

Darrell Bailey, more commonly known as “Clipper Darrell,” has attended 385 consecutive Clippers games and even has his BMW painted in the team’s red and blue colors. Still, that didn’t keep Roeser from admonishing Bailey and asking him to stop heckling Wall.

Bailey, who has been a Clippers’ season-ticket holder for nine seasons, has loyally supported the woeful franchise, even once turning down a job offer from the Dallas Mavericks.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-summerleague071810

naztrack
07-19-2010, 03:44 AM

your an idiot, i cant even........your an idiot sorry man u just......idiot.

DisturbedFTW83
07-19-2010, 04:19 AM
summer league is the summer league. the bust label is just being thrown around so much there needs to be a new word for "bust" more like garbage or something. calling a guy a bust in summer league? f*cking really? congrats to DMC and sucks for Wall who has been nothing short of spectacular on the court and showing leadership to this Wizards team. (Again, summer league, I know it's not that serious)

My guy on the other hand: Evan Turner: has showed nervousness, sloppy play on the offensive side. Defensive side: he's been okay. FT's are a big part of his game as are rebounds. I hope this guy will just explode in the regular season to give Sixer fans like myself some hope in this teams succession/progression.

Can't call DMC bust if the number 2 overall pick can't get any recognition in the summer league.

I'm just being real. Can't wait for the real season to kick in. Turner all day!!

FarOutIos
07-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeah, it is just summer league.

But, Cousins clearly has shown that he can pass and rebound well. In fact, he even had a good amount of steals. That's the good.

The bad is that he gets in foul trouble and is out of condition. The conditioning thing is something we knew, but became more evident as he grew tired.

The end result... Cousins must realize that he needs to get in better shape to make an impact in the nba. If he does that, nothing can stop him.