PDA

View Full Version : Jason Bay's season

jetsfan89
07-18-2010, 05:05 PM
would someone like to explain to me how bay's power can drop dramatically like it has this season?

bosox3431
07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/where-is-jason-bays-power/

BoundByAxioms
07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
How is that his BABIP is .325, which is only .001 below career his average, yet he is still having a disappointing season?

Gigantes4Life
07-23-2010, 05:58 PM
How is that his BABIP is .325, which is only .001 below career his average, yet he is still having a disappointing season?

Simple, he's just not hitting for power.

His BA and walk rate isn't too far off from his career averages.

Sick Of It All
07-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Simple, he's just not hitting for power.

His BA and walk rate isn't too far off from his career averages.

This, guys have had this types of seasons in the past, question is will he bounce back next year?

jetsfan28
07-24-2010, 12:02 AM
This, guys have had this types of seasons in the past, question is will he bounce back next year?

I don't think so. I know it has been a bit of a perfect storm season for Bay, but seeing as Citi Field (presumably) isn't changing, he's not getting any younger, and he hasn't really been a guy that crushed the ball in the past, I think what we're seeing is what we'll get, minus a bit of bad luck that he's had this year. I mean, his HR/FB rate almost has to increase slightly, but not enough to make a huge difference.

jetsfan89
07-24-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't know if this could possibly explain it, but he's swinging at more balls outside the zone this year than usual. he's making contact with the pitches, but chances are the pitches that he makes contact with that are outside the zone will not be hit well.

bagwell368
07-24-2010, 11:08 PM

The only puke season he had before was due to an injury.

I'll give Mets fans hope, which I haven't been fond of doing after some of the arguments that went on, but here goes:

1. He's smart, he'll adjust to the pitchers and the Park more in the next couple of seasons.

2. His pride is hurt over his poor fielding reputation, so he'll hustle extra hard to try and wipe that away.

Everything else is bad:

1. He's not a great athlete, he's not going to handle injuries and age that well

2. He is sensitive, if he gets the bum's rush, and feels pressure he could continue to pitch away his patience at the plate and try and hit a series of 6 run homers.

3. He gets into deep slumps, and has trouble shaking out.

I'm afraid by the middle of year 3 he'll be a .245/.325/.405 hitter with a fading glove.