PDA

View Full Version : IF Yao is healthy and returns to form, are the Rockets title contenders?

JordansBulls
07-17-2010, 11:12 PM
IF Yao is healthy and returns to form, are the Rockets title contenders?

Lineup
PG Brooks/Lowry
SG Martin
SF Ariza/Battier
PF Scola
C Yao/Miller

BradyIsTheMan12
07-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah the Rockets are, but how likely is it that Yao comes back to form and stays healthy..

dtmagnet
07-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Yes, absolutely.

Hellcrooner
07-17-2010, 11:20 PM
a lot of ifs, elder 7 footers dont usually come back to form after such a BIG injury.

i dont remember even a case, if he is in better shape that first 80s Walton it woudl be good news for the rockets.

Kashmir13579
07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
aaron brooks is a beast.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but he is going to be a few steps behind from where he was.

dwadefan03
07-17-2010, 11:22 PM
i think they could be 2nd in the west if everyone stays healthy on that team, mainly martin and yao.

ManRam
07-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Not sure about title contenders. Ariza, Brooks and Martin are a nice trio of back court players, but all are extremely inefficient...the two guards are terrible defenders. Miller and Battier are great 6th and 7th men...but I can't see them beating LA or even Denver/OKC.

Raidaz4Life
07-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm not convinced that they have enough offense to be title contenders.

lostmymind
07-17-2010, 11:23 PM
They'll definitely be in the playoffs but I don't see them contending for a title.

defender4m
07-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Not sure about title contenders. Ariza, Brooks and Martin are a nice trio of back court players, but all are extremely inefficient...the two guards are terrible defenders. Miller and Battier are great 6th and 7th men...but I can't see them beating LA or even Denver/OKC.

this plus dallas is better imo

bahama0811
07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I would say yes. That's a big if though. I just can't see Yao staying healthy for a whole season.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
this plus dallas is better imo

True, but we would struggle against Yao, no doubt.

TEXASTITAN
07-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah the Rockets are, but how likely is it that Yao comes back to form and stays healthy..

He's asking for a 5-6 year extension and he's in a contract year so im fairly sure he's back and in playing form. The signing of miller today extends yao's season because he's not having to play big minutes and the team won 42 games out west last year without a superstar. You couple that with the assets they have to make a trade at the deadline to refresh their team and houston most definitley are contenders in the west for a 3-5 seed. They have one of if not the deepest benches in the league and their frontline is competitive figure in their hard work and hustle on every play and from night to night they are going to hustle themselves to at least 10 wins right there. Yao being back helps them to another 15 wins your potentially looking at 57-60 wins for them.

TEXASTITAN
07-17-2010, 11:34 PM
a lot of ifs, elder 7 footers dont usually come back to form after such a BIG injury.

i dont remember even a case, if he is in better shape that first 80s Walton it woudl be good news for the rockets.

Zydrunas Illgauskas had the exact same surgery and he's still playing and i don't think he's reinjured it since. Yao's not going to ask for a 6 year extension unless he's healed up and in a big way think about it. He's got depth behind him to keep his minutes low and he's not playing with the chinese national team anymore those 2 factors alone extend his playtime. Im glad people are sleeping on houston like the year our bench took the lakers to 7 games it's gonna be another one of those years.

oOo Rhino oOo
07-17-2010, 11:38 PM
The west is too strong to have 60 wins, I see them around 52

Mishmin
07-17-2010, 11:47 PM
They'll be title contenders until they have to play a series with a real title contender.

Verbal Christ
07-17-2010, 11:53 PM

elder? yao's still in his prime, and as titan pointed out Z had the same identical surgery and hasnt had further issue. its easy to be doubtful and with due reason, however no denying the impact when healthy and as the OP asked 'if in form' ... there is no better center in the league when in form.

jimbobjarree
07-17-2010, 11:55 PM
doubt it, jazz will probably punk them in the playoffs yet again

20GoodTimes20
07-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Kevin Martin is one of the more efficient players in the league.

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Zydrunas Illgauskas had the exact same surgery and he's still playing and i don't think he's reinjured it since. Yao's not going to ask for a 6 year extension unless he's healed up and in a big way think about it. He's got depth behind him to keep his minutes low and he's not playing with the chinese national team anymore those 2 factors alone extend his playtime. Im glad people are sleeping on houston like the year our bench took the lakers to 7 games it's gonna be another one of those years.

i didnt say he woudnt go back t pay siad he wouldnt play at the same QUALITY.

what wwere Ilgauskas stats before and after the injury?

nanablvd
07-18-2010, 12:10 AM
of course. THeir roster is very very good as long as Yao is 100% and can last a full year including playoff. Barring any serious injuries among their core, I expect the Rockets to finish top 4 and home court advantage in the West.

Penetra8r
07-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Last season they took us to the wire a few games w/o Yao

Heck yes, one more cog and they can possibly take it to the WCF

JiffyMix88
07-18-2010, 12:18 AM
He needs to start playing with metal braces like how Forrest Gump did.

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 12:24 AM
btw yao is 30 thats when red flags start for big men and prime becomes sunset. And that not even taking injuries on account.
How good has garnett been after hi s injury?

ManOnFire
07-18-2010, 12:27 AM
doubt it, jazz will probably punk them in the playoffs yet again

The Rox may not even get a chance to meet them as they'll (Jazz) probably get owned by the Lakers yet again.

Ty Fast
07-18-2010, 12:35 AM
he will never be healthy. count on it

Chronz
07-18-2010, 12:42 AM

They are far from inefficient

show34
07-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Im actually scared for him he needs to shut it down or reduce his role

astrosmaniac
07-18-2010, 01:12 AM
i didnt say he woudnt go back t pay siad he wouldnt play at the same QUALITY.

what wwere Ilgauskas stats before and after the injury?
big Z's best season statistically has come after this is same type of surgery

btw yao is 30 thats when red flags start for big men and prime becomes sunset. And that not even taking injuries on account.
How good has garnett been after hi s injury?
the reason 30 is usually the beginning of the end is cause of the amount of minutes a player has usually logged. yao on the other hand has had a significant lower amount of minutes than average. if he had done this surgery the first time like he should have, he would have been completely healthy for the last 2 seasons, but that would have kept him out of the bejing olympics

val_modus
07-18-2010, 01:20 AM

Im sorry i just started reading this thread and i had to respond to this... inefficient? Brooks led the league in 3s, and was pretty high in points in the paint, and Martin is considered to be the most if not one of the most efficient pure scorers in the paint, u can also make up for some perimeter defense by having a 7'6 guy in the paint, and perhaps the best help defense in the NBA ((Rockets were top of the league in charges)

rockets-fan
07-18-2010, 01:36 AM
of coarse....he wont be playing more than 20 minutes this season now that we have a good back up.

i see them being able to beat okc/den....i think okc is really overrated... i know theyre good and theyr young players are gaining experience, but come on, u beatthe lakers twice now your a top 2 team...no sir

Raph12
07-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Not in the same talks as the Lakers, Heat, Magic and Celts, but one tier under them for sure.

0nekhmer
07-18-2010, 02:05 AM
HUGE IF. Yao was probably the most dominate C in his prime. I'd say better than Shaq too in his prime

thesprite
07-18-2010, 02:15 AM

if you're talking about offensive efficiency, k.martin is actually efficient.. but yeah, he's a terrible defender.. though his numbers in steals are good.. but just like yao, he's injury prone..

brooks is the most consistent of the three, and if they were to be contenders k.mart and the other starters should be consistent as well..

Ariza's Better
07-18-2010, 02:19 AM
houston can make the NBA finals. there the second best in the west and always match up well aggainst the Lakers. i don't know how they will go aggainst the heat.

J_M_B
07-18-2010, 02:43 AM
I wonder how he fits in, since the team is built for speed..

PrettyBoyJ
07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
unless Kevin Martin some how turns into kobe bryant next season I jus see a 5th or 6th seed in there future

Avenged
07-18-2010, 02:57 AM
They won't be title contenders this year but if they can go through a season and postseason healthy, then next year should be a great run for them (if healthy, again). The Rockets are suddenly a very deep team, especially with the addition of Miller, but unfortunately they won't get that far this season. They need at least 1 season together to develop chemistry and get use to each other on the court. They could most definitely be a sleeper team out West though.

michelangelo
07-18-2010, 03:05 AM
The loss of artest along with the signing of ariza was a great move...

Artest lost games for LA with his atrocious shooting: Ariza doesn't shoot for a great percentage either but Artest's misses, in light of who could've been taking those shots, just seemed so egregious.

It's not a shock that the Lakers barely hung on to win the finals against an aging celtics squad.

The Rockets have a very unselfish team, great chemistry and great coaching. If Yao can be healthy even during a portion of the playoffs, the Rockets can make a deep run.

Master Mind
07-18-2010, 04:08 AM
HUGE IF. Yao was probably the most dominate C in his prime. I'd say better than Shaq too in his prime

Just shut up!

ntat
07-18-2010, 04:26 AM

Not the correct term used to describe Kevin Martin.

_KB24_
07-18-2010, 04:28 AM
Yes they would. Yao Ming is the most offensively gifted man in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 04:36 AM
Yes they would. Yao Ming is the most offensively gifted man in the NBA.

cough not even close.

and i can think at least 4 players better gifted ovfensively, just betwwn BIGs if we add all players then there are tons of theml

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 04:38 AM
As i saud , if he is able tcome back ina 70 games per season 14 ppg 8 rpg 2 bpg in 26-29 mpg shape for the next 3 years Rocket will be very lucky.

JayW_1023
07-18-2010, 04:39 AM
I really like this team...they have a great coach in Adelman and high character guys like Battier, Yao and Scola. Sure they can win it all.

No one guards Kobe Bryant better than Shane Battier and they have the size to match up with LA's front line...a healthy Yao will impact the game just by being out there.

kjdills13
07-18-2010, 04:40 AM
no doubt Yao can be the most dominate offensive big man in the NBA. When he is healthy the only person who can stop yao is yao. He plays to well with his length and keeps the ball high. But can he stay healthy? if he does they will COMPETE for the WCF and to go to the ship.

brooks
ariza
battier
scola ( if they resign him) or Jordan Hill
Yao

that team plays GOOD defense and has good offense run through YAO

val_modus
07-18-2010, 04:52 AM
cough not even close.

and i can think at least 4 players better gifted ovfensively, just betwwn BIGs if we add all players then there are tons of theml

Can u please name these 4 bigs that are offensively more gifted than Yao please? And im not talking about athleticism (Dwight Howard), im talking skills and ability.

_KB24_
07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
cough not even close.

I meant big man, and come to think of it, I should have mentioned Dirk. I know where your going with this, and the answer is no, Pau is not better than Yao on any facet when healthy. The numbers don't lie.

jazzcoffedrnkr
07-18-2010, 05:20 AM
I meant big man, and come to think of it, I should have mentioned Dirk. I know where your going with this, and the answer is no, Pau is not better than Yao on any facet when healthy. The numbers don't lie.

Add the fact that Yao and Brad Miller have two the highest free throw percentage among all centers in the NBA. If we are talking about a talented front court, I'm not worried.

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Can u please name these 4 bigs that are offensively more gifted than Yao please? And im not talking about athleticism (Dwight Howard), im talking skills and ability.

Duncan, Garnett, Dirk and Pau posibly Bosh too.

Big Quett
07-18-2010, 05:45 AM
He's asking for a 5-6 year extension and he's in a contract year so im fairly sure he's back and in playing form. The signing of miller today extends yao's season because he's not having to play big minutes and the team won 42 games out west last year without a superstar. You couple that with the assets they have to make a trade at the deadline to refresh their team and houston most definitley are contenders in the west for a 3-5 seed. They have one of if not the deepest benches in the league and their frontline is competitive figure in their hard work and hustle on every play and from night to night they are going to hustle themselves to at least 10 wins right there. Yao being back helps them to another 15 wins your potentially looking at 57-60 wins for them.

No that just means he wants his money before he gets injured AGAIN. And Yao has never played big minutes. His career mins per game is about 33. He has only played more than 34 mpg once.How many mins do you want him to play? 25? He is just to damn injury prone to count on. And the fact that he is getting older doesnt help his case.

Big Quett
07-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Duncan, Garnett, Dirk and Pau posibly Bosh too.

4 years ago maybe but not now. And you cant be one of the offensively gifted if you cant hit free throws.

Wade>You
07-18-2010, 05:55 AM
If Title Contender means making it to the Finals, I'd say no. People underrate the Lakers on this board. Seriously, 3 straight Finals appearances and 2 Titles? Wake the .... up people! They're a dynasty. :rolleyes:

Big Quett
07-18-2010, 05:57 AM
If Title Contender means making it to the Finals, I'd say no. People underrate the Lakers on this board. Seriously, 3 straight Finals appearances and 2 Titles? Wake the .... up people! They're a dynasty. :rolleyes:

Dwayne is that you?...haha

Swashcuff
07-18-2010, 07:57 AM
no doubt Yao can be the most dominate offensive big man in the NBA. When he is healthy the only person who can stop yao is yao. He plays to well with his length and keeps the ball high. But can he stay healthy? if he does they will COMPETE for the WCF and to go to the ship.

brooks
ariza
battier
scola ( if they resign him) or Jordan Hill
Yao

that team plays GOOD defense and has good offense run through YAO

they already did... and sorry but if K-Mart is healthy Shane Battier isn't going to be starting

Swashcuff
07-18-2010, 08:02 AM
The key to this team is not just Yao's health but its how well their perimeter players can mesh, share buckets and take good care of the ball. If K-Mart and Ariza change from their chucking of last season (especially Ariza) and attack the basket/slash some more and Aaron continues to show the same kind of leadership he showed last season with another year experience there is no question IMO IF this team with a healthy Yao/K-Mart can contend. With the best offensive post presence in the game and plus players at every other position and quite frankly the most stacked bench in the NBA this team has what it takes to take the ship next season. It just too many IFs IMO though. But I still say yes.

ntat
07-18-2010, 08:21 AM
4 years ago maybe but not now. And you cant be one of the offensively gifted if you cant hit free throws.
You absolutely can. Shaq was way gifed offensively. And ur argument is starting to look stubborn, not correct.

JasonJohnHorn
07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I dont think they could beat a healthy Lakers team, but they could push them to six or seven games. And now that the Mavs finally have a real center in Tyson Chandler (who depending on his play this season, could make the Mavs a legit contender), and it Splitter is as good as the Spurs are hoping the West could be as deep as ever this season, espcially with teams like the Blazers, Nuggets and Jazz all making moves to get better.

Yao hasnt been as dominant in his career as some thought, but he is enough of a match up problem, and with Martin, Battier and Ariza on the wing, and Brand Miller backing Yao up (and likely allowing him to take fewer minutes in the regular season so that he can spend more time on the floor in the playoffs), this team is filled out pretty well with guys like Scola and Lowry and Brooks should be a solid PG combo. And who knows, the power forward they picked up out of the draft may be an impact player as well and the offseason isnt over, so they may add some more talent yet.

If Yao returns, Houstons fans have good cause to be excited about the post season, especially since Houston brass has had enough common sence to stick with Aldeman as the coach after a rought season in which he still got the team to finish at .500 (and in my opinion was as deserving of coach of the year as anybody considering the tools he had to work with).

BronBron06
07-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes they can beat Lakers probably at least 1 @ home
Against Mavs Probably 2-2 even
Against Spurs 1 Loss
Against Phoenix -All win
Against Denver -1 W
Against Jazz - All win

Rockets are title contenders playing around 4-5-6 playoff slot

Verbal Christ
07-18-2010, 01:17 PM
since when did yao become a PF and become relegated to comparisons among them? Yao Ming is the epitome of old school centers, some people here for the sake of trying to sound smart want to lump all bigs together because there arent any more good centers left, is that Yao's fault? He had a bone defect in his foot that wasnt properly treated until last year, hence the rash of injuries to his feet and one freak accident that cracked his fibula when another player landed on his leg. im pretty sure he doesnt like getting hurt, who does? besides all that Yao's game is not played above the rim where the amount of impact on knees and joints is that much more severe, he's plenty productive and efficient doing what he does, therefore i can easily see another 5 years of good to great productivity. some clown said yao is only good for 14 PPG next year? LOL talk about blind rage for whatever reason, soooo funny. depth and chemistry are two things nobody can account for either in quantive metrics or otherwise and two fo the things the rockets are chock full of, so keep sleeping on houston, just like last year when most of you swore to death we'd be the worst team in the league, YADA YADA YADA (only to recant and say you never said that) :rolleyes:

Barracuda
07-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Nah... i dont think so...They would reach western finals... not more

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
since when did yao become a PF and become relegated to comparisons among them? Yao Ming is the epitome of old school centers, some people here for the sake of trying to sound smart want to lump all bigs together because there arent any more good centers left, is that Yao's fault? He had a bone defect in his foot that wasnt properly treated until last year, hence the rash of injuries to his feet and one freak accident that cracked his fibula when another player landed on his leg. im pretty sure he doesnt like getting hurt, who does? besides all that Yao's game is not played above the rim where the amount of impact on knees and joints is that much more severe, he's plenty productive and efficient doing what he does, therefore i can easily see another 5 years of good to great productivity. some clown said yao is only good for 14 PPG next year? LOL talk about blind rage for whatever reason, soooo funny. depth and chemistry are two things nobody can account for either in quantive metrics or otherwise and two fo the things the rockets are chock full of, so keep sleeping on houston, just like last year when most of you swore to death we'd be the worst team in the league, YADA YADA YADA (only to recant and say you never said that) :rolleyes:

Im not knon for Underate INTERNATIONAL players precisely man.
I simply dont turst a 30 year odl seven footer with an history on injuries after 1 yar of no play to be able to play many minutes a game, so as good ads Yao is ( much better then Howard wich people like so much for i dont knwo what reason) he wont be able to contribute more than 14 and 8 if he plays 25 mpg or less.

Redbull
07-18-2010, 02:53 PM
I could see the Rockets being the #2 seed if Yao can stay healthy all year but that is a BIG if, I still don't think they would be serious title contenders though.

astrosmaniac
07-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Im not knon for Underate INTERNATIONAL players precisely man.
I simply dont turst a 30 year odl seven footer with an history on injuries after 1 yar of no play to be able to play many minutes a game, so as good ads Yao is ( much better then Howard wich people like so much for i dont knwo what reason) he wont be able to contribute more than 14 and 8 if he plays 25 mpg or less.

after this same surgery, big Z averaged 17 and 8 on 30 MPG. big Z is half the offensive player yao is. even at between 25-30 MPG, yao will do much better than 14 and 8

Hellcrooner
07-18-2010, 03:19 PM
after this same surgery, big Z averaged 17 and 8 on 30 MPG. big Z is half the offensive player yao is. even at between 25-30 MPG, yao will do much better than 14 and 8

how old was ilgauskas?

ad had he had the injury history yao has?

Frezhnitz
07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
No.

PC
07-18-2010, 04:01 PM
It's a huge if but assuming Yao stays healthy, I do think the Rockets can be title contenders

Catfish1314
07-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Kevin Martin is inefficient? Man he must have really gone to **** when he was traded to Houston.

And yes, I think they would be title contenders. But that's assuming a lot. That's assuming Yao is back to at least borderline All-Star form and Kevin Martin's skinny little legs can hold up for most of the season and the playoffs.

If Yao returns to normal, and everyone stays moderately heatlhy the Rockets should be a top 3-6 team in the West. They have a boatload of offensive talent and some really good defensive players.

Sadds The Gr8
07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
yes....that's a BIG *** "IF" though...

JordansBulls
07-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I could see the Rockets being the #2 seed if Yao can stay healthy all year but that is a BIG if, I still don't think they would be serious title contenders though.

I think they can be as well. It would be great to.

The Raven
07-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Of course they can. IF Yao can return to his former self, they have a great team to make an impact. Brooks seems to be emerging as a legitimate starting PG who can move the bal well with a scoring option in Martin. They re-signed Scola who is another great starting piece for them

Starballer
07-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes

lavilevi23
07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
they will replace the Suns in the seedings this year

ntat
07-19-2010, 12:30 AM

so yao will no doubt average 34 and 16 next year. Lock me in, im sold.

ldc62
07-19-2010, 12:43 AM
I want him to be healthy, but its looking iffy.

Rockets can certainly be a contender if hes ready to go.

koreancabbage
07-19-2010, 12:45 AM
i voted no

but that's b/c i still believe the next 2-3 years are heat/lakers

they have a really really good team- probably a 2nd seed team if everyone stays healthy.

astrosmaniac
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
so yao will no doubt average 34 and 16 next year. Lock me in, im sold.

thats not what im saying at all. my point is if Z could do that, yao will no doubt do more than that. i mean the only time yao posted numbers worse than what he predicted was in his rookie year

JLynn943
07-19-2010, 02:02 AM
If Yao is 100% all season, yes. They're strong at every position and have a coach who has come close before. I don't really think they could beat the Lakers, but I guess we'll see.

Iggz53
07-19-2010, 02:03 AM
If Yao is healthy, they undoubtedly are contenders.

ntat
07-19-2010, 02:14 AM
thats not what im saying at all. my point is if Z could do that, yao will no doubt do more than that. i mean the only time yao posted numbers worse than what he predicted was in his rookie yearlol i know that's not what u were saying

robdizzle3
07-19-2010, 02:39 AM
When Healthy, yao is one of the best and is a force. Outside game and polished post moves, plus with Miller there, Scola back and a full season with Kevin Martin, they will challenge hard.

kobebabe
07-19-2010, 04:59 AM
yeah ofcourse. Tmac and his curses are out....lol. but seriously they are

JordansBulls
07-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I think Yao needs to be a 20 and 10 player for this to happen though.

PC
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
According to Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal-Times, Yao Ming "could miss up to the first two months of the season."
Immediately preceding this depressing notion, Woelfel writes that "Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon." We would be surprised to see Yao in uniform on opening day, but hopefully the two-month timeline is exaggerated. Jul. 19 - 3:19 pm et
rotoworld

Not a good start if true

Verbal Christ
07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
^ leave it to someone in bum****nowhere wisconsin to talk about a rocket player.

Kobe5RingKing
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
They will be tough to beat

JordansBulls
07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
rotoworld

Not a good start if true

It doesn't matter, he probably doesn't need to play until February anyway so that he can go for the playoffs.