PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Put Hold on Brown, Looking elsewhere ~ T-mac and Barnes Enter Picture

Kobe5RingKing
07-17-2010, 08:40 PM
"What looked like an almost done deal several days ago to bring back guard Shannon Brown now looks like it has hit a snag. Negotiations have currently stalled with GM Mitch Kupchak unwilling to meet Brown's full asking price. He may be looking elsewhere.

It is quite likely that Kupchak feels the explosive Brown has underachieved in his time with the Lakers. Brown seems to still have trouble making decisions within Phil Jackson's triangle offense and his jump shooting has been spotty at times. If Brown's price is too high for the Lakers, who would be their most likely final free-agent signing?

6'7'' swingman free agent Matt Barnes had told his twitter followers Friday that he'd be informing them what 'surprise' team he was going to play with on Saturday , only to announce that he is postponing that decision for a few more days as several other teams had gotten involved in trying to sign him .

Barnes, a Los Angeles native, has also told friends that he would like to play for the Lakers. There have been several teams linked to Barnes including the Lakers, Heat, Magic and Celtics. The timing of Barnes postponing his decision corresponds to the time that the Lakers negotiations with Brown started dragging on. There is speculation that the Lakers could be one of the teams that Barnes referred to getting back in the negotiating mix.

Another intriguing free agent possibility that has kept creeping back into the conversation is 31 year old guard/forward Tracy McGrady. McGrady has drawn very little interest in free agency, much like fellow veteran players Allen Iverson and Shaquille O'Neal. Like those players, attitude has played most of the part keeping teams away, but at age 31 he is still young enough to contribute if healthy."

Raidaz4Life
07-17-2010, 08:51 PM
link?

lamar2006
07-17-2010, 08:53 PM
yes. please no Brown. T-Mac or Barnes would be perfect. besides Sasha will be the backup to Kobe since Blake will backup Fisher. Who is backing up Artest???? Walton you gotta be kidding me. T-Mac or Barnes at SF is a nice addition to the bench. I HAVE NO TRUST IN BROWN TO DO ANYTHING. Barnes and T-Mac will come cheaper

Raidaz4Life
07-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I can't find this story anywhere, can somebody help?

ViperK8B
07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I found the link, I believe this is it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/421535-lakers-final-roster-slot-mcgrady-is-fan-favorite-but-brown-is-likely-it

lakersfan01
07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
yeah where's the link? i want the lakers to sign matt barnes more than any other free agent right now. stop getting my hopes up lol. i like his meaness and tenacity on defense! the part about him postponing his decision does correspond to talks with shannon brown hitting a snag and drawing on and on. i keep expecting to see that they signed shannon brown every time i get online or watch espn lol, but i'd much rather see them sign longer 6'7" matt barnes who is meaner than sh&t lol. i don't trust shannon's defense. i feel like we can count on matt barnes and more versitile to play small forward too if devin ebanks isn't ready to play minutes when games are close. can't stand puke's defense or his poor shooting abiltiy. don't know how he regressed as a shooter. i'm ok with puke as long as he is sitting down lol. not a bad guy, just not nba athleticism or nba shooting if hes going to be so dang slow.

KillaInstinct24
07-17-2010, 09:05 PM
bleacher report. you can trust these guys.:rolleyes:

BG946
07-17-2010, 09:09 PM
bleacher report. you can trust these guys.:rolleyes:

LOL Sarcasm at its best!!!! LOL Yeah, the Bleacher Report is not a creditable source by any means. I prefer to have Brown only if we dont sign Barnes or T-mac....But this is not even an "official" rumor yet.

lakersfan01
07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
is the bleacher report trustworthy? lets hope we sign matt barnes or tmac instead. crowded with fisher and blake so no room at pg for brown, and a little undersized and lack of defense to play sg. not that tmac is a great defender but could be a #1 scoring option off the bench. since lamar kardashian is so passive and uninterested.

lakersfan01
07-17-2010, 09:11 PM
yeah i've never gotten news from bleacher report. yahoo sports and espn for me.

still1ballin
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Tmac/Barnes/Brown

In that order for me

Raidaz4Life
07-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah come on guys... this author has absolutely no credibility and is purely speculating.

Hunter48MVP
07-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I hope and prayed that the Lakers were not going to sign Brown and go after Tracy McGrady. I always have been a big fan of him and this will make my day if we some have sign him 2day.

And I was the one who speculate that the Lakers should sign McGrady first back in December.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437281

iggypop123
07-17-2010, 09:37 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/421535-lakers-final-roster-slot-mcgrady-is-fan-favorite-but-brown-is-likely-it

they arent a legit source.

show34
07-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Tracy needs to be aggressive and want to be signed by the lakers explain to me how we cant sign him if we get rid of mbenga and powell and or have all their contract money ran out? And how is miami still signing people and we are not able 2 please explain?

Kevj77
07-17-2010, 09:52 PM
^^ We can still sign people, but we are over the cap so all we got are the rest of the MLE about 1.8 mil to offer and the vet min about 1.4 mil for a 10 year player. Not signing DJ or Powell has no effect on our situation because we are over the cap.

Miami is in the same situation now that they have used their cap space.

ViperK8B
07-17-2010, 09:57 PM
they arent a legit source.

I never said they were, all I did was link where he found his info.

golbin
07-17-2010, 10:07 PM
I never said they were, all I did was link where he found his info.

dude people here take the link stuff beyond seriously the thing about the bleacher is that i believe that its basically anyone who writes it..just like me or you its just some guy who doesnt have to do with the major media its just some guy..

hey check out this crying icon: :cry: haha ive never seen one like that..

dnewguy
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Bleacher report? Are you kidding me......anyone that take that site at face value probably hasn't known the site for long. I'll put it this way, Foxnews is more credible than bleacher report.

nanablvd
07-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I know many of you are hoping for Tmac versus Brown. I just think the Lakers should sign either one, Tmac, Brown, or Barnes, in a way that prevents the possibility of a lose-all situation. Timing is an important factor in free agency; signing one in a timely fashion is important now since after those three are gone there wont be much quality talent left. Act quick, Lakers, even if it means signing Brown instead of everyone's preference in Tmac.

Lake_Show2416
07-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Does it matter.. its just an article of speculation

Good Read

Rocco007
07-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah come on guys... this author has absolutely no credibility and is purely speculating.

We can debate if it's just purely speculation but it all makes sense...I had posted something earlier regarding the delay with Shannon Brown's contract signing...It points to a change of heart by the Lakers or some sort of impasse by both parties ...

Phabulous
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm so tired of hearing Tmac and Barnes. We won as a group with Brown in the mix. We won with Brown starting at SG when Kobe went down! Pay the man. Only fault is his trying to hard to hit a homerun when it comes to fast break opportunities. The man can play and his healthy all 82 games of the season. He's young and plays the 1 & 2. Give him another year to fully understand his triangle role. I rather have him than 15 games per Tmac and Monkey Barnes. Its like Reggie Miller hatin on Kobe and now pays homage cause its his hometown. What ever ya'll thinking just stop! Remember Isiah Rider, Mitch Richmond, John Sally, who many minutes did they contribute? Tmac is a name that somebody wants on a Lakers jersey. Its like putting Malone, Payton, Shaq, and Kobe back in the lineup. You remember what happened with that squad.

kobeocho
07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
This is not good at all, Brown played a big part the intensity that he bring off the bench the eagerness to win so as his defense. Matt barnes can't catch rondo or russel westbrook in the playoffs while t-mac would declare another season ending injury if he does't get his minutes. May be what a good plan is re-sign brown and get barnes. No t-mac or t-back.

aerion123
07-17-2010, 10:49 PM
I do want TMac I really do and Barnes would make me happy as well but good Lord the Lakers ever since aquiring Pau Gasol has gotten older and older with every free agent addition. It seems to me that we do have a few more championships in us before we have to rebuild but lately it seems WE CLOSING OUR OWN WINDOW FASTER THAN TIME ITSELF. That worries me. Shannon though still not the best of choice makers, has 2 things we lack. Youth and age. It's a tougher choice than what you all make it out to be.

bleedprple&gold
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
The article did say negotiations with Brown have stalled, which doesn't sound like speculation, but may be obvious at this point or else he would probably have a contract by now (unless they are still waiting to see what Barnes decides)...

show34
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
^^ we can still sign people, but we are over the cap so all we got are the rest of the mle about 1.8 mil to offer and the vet min about 1.4 mil for a 10 year player. Not signing dj or powell has no effect on our situation because we are over the cap.

Miami is in the same situation now that they have used their cap space. hey thanx man going to school 2 be a sports agent needed some kinda explanantion

KillaInstinct24
07-17-2010, 11:04 PM
LOL Sarcasm at its best!!!! LOL Yeah, the Bleacher Report is not a creditable source by any means. I prefer to have Brown only if we dont sign Barnes or T-mac....But this is not even an "official" rumor yet.

lmao, i honestly dont know man. we'd be trading away youth/athleticism, something thats rare on our team, for a decent defender who cant shoot in Barnes...we already have Artest! lol. T-mac has too many issues around him, he would be last resort IMHO

Dirty4
07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
I do want TMac I really do and Barnes would make me happy as well but good Lord the Lakers ever since aquiring Pau Gasol has gotten older and older with every free agent addition. It seems to me that we do have a few more championships in us before we have to rebuild but lately it seems WE CLOSING OUR OWN WINDOW FASTER THAN TIME ITSELF. That worries me. Shannon though still not the best of choice makers, has 2 things we lack. Youth and age. It's a tougher choice than what you all make it out to be.

Is this a typo? Youth and age? Isn't that the same thing? :confused:

New Power House
07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Where is Wilson? This is another ex peculation report from untrustworthy source:rolleyes: Let's close it!

HouRealCoach
07-17-2010, 11:40 PM
BleacherReport and Hoopsworld should be banned from this site

Penetra8r
07-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Bleacher goes down...

LA_Raiders
07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
i hope we can get tmac, but barner would be good d from the bench...brown? we dont need a dunker...

TheGsw
07-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Barnes is not a native of la
:Facepalm:
bleacherreport is horrible lol

ViperK8B
07-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Barnes is not a native of la
:Facepalm:
bleacherreport is horrible lol

Could of swore he was from santa clara, ca and played ball at del campo High in fair oaks. so must of ment a california guy rather then LA dude.

GoldenArmor24
07-18-2010, 01:01 AM
It's may be coming from the bleacher creatures but seems like 80% of the time the Lakers make a move it's very quiet which it has been of late. The timing of Barnes stalling & the Brown signing stalling are right in line.

I am hoping for Barnes with that said. His defense is great & for the most part I like getting a guy that isn't scared to get up in Kobes face & challenge him. I like having the hustle players for a spark & think he is a perfect fit for Lakers. Lakers really need a SF not a 2 gaurd in a pg's body. Lakers already have a enough offense & where everybody elses offense is getting better Lakers D needs to get better. Barnes can hit the 3 from time to time & who know's? he could be like Robert Horry in a sense. Be cold all night & hit the 3 when it's clutch time. (not comparing him to Horry by anymeans just sayin.)

As for the age factor don't forget about Character & Ebanks.

Switch
07-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Bleacher report is not a legit source, but I do hope Lakers are having a strong look at Barnes, he would fit well with the Lakers.

bleedprple&gold
07-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Why close the thread? What's wrong with an opinion or speculation?? We still read it anyways...

robdizzle3
07-18-2010, 01:37 AM
It's may be coming from the bleacher creatures but seems like 80% of the time the Lakers make a move it's very quiet which it has been of late. The timing of Barnes stalling & the Brown signing stalling are right in line.

I am hoping for Barnes with that said. His defense is great & for the most part I like getting a guy that isn't scared to get up in Kobes face & challenge him. I like having the hustle players for a spark & think he is a perfect fit for Lakers. Lakers really need a SF not a 2 gaurd in a pg's body. Lakers already have a enough offense & where everybody elses offense is getting better Lakers D needs to get better. Barnes can hit the 3 from time to time & who know's? he could be like Robert Horry in a sense. Be cold all night & hit the 3 when it's clutch time. (not comparing him to Horry by anymeans just sayin.)

As for the age factor don't forget about Character & Ebanks.

I agree. Maybe its coincidence, but both of their talks or announcements were put on hold. I reall think we should take a chance on Mac, because im prtty sure he hears all the talk, so he'll be ready to give it all for his new team.

Avenged
07-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Bleacher report is not a credible source guys and this thread needs to be closed down, sorry. Unless someone can find a more credible source.