PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs - (1) Nets vs. (4) 76ers

Westbrook36
07-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This second round match-up features the 1st seeded New Jersey Nets versus the 4th seeded Philadelphia 76ers. The Nets have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Nets:

PG: Chauncey Billups/ Mike Conley
SG: O.J. Mayo/ Rodrigue Beabois
SF: Lebron James/ Tracy Mcgrady
PF: David West/ JJ Hickson
C: Birdman/ Darko Millicic

Nets Write-Up:

Nets Write up Semis.

Nets
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Mike Conley
SG: O.J. Mayo/ Rodrigue Beabois
SF: Lebron James/ Tracy Mcgrady
PF: David West/ JJ Hickson
C: Birdman/ Darko Millicic

76ERS
C: Dwight Howard/ Chris Humphries
PF: Drew Gooden/ David Andersen
SF: Luol Deng/ Jerry Stackhouse
SG: Ray Allen/ Nick Young
PG: Jose Calderon/ Kyle Lowry

C: Dwight Howard vs. Birdman/ David West . . . Iím not ******** obviously this is in the sixers favour majorly. A couple of things in the match up that I would like to point out however. Against Denver this year Dwight average 13 PPG, and 12 RPG. Take that for what its worth as Birdman spent a lot of time on him, Nene as the starter probably spent more time on him. Birdman has proven himself to be an elite big man defender, and thatís all we will ask of him, as west will sometimes help and double team. Against Charlotte in the playoffs, Dwight shot .481% from the field, scoring 9.7 PPG, and 9.2, RPG. Not exactly something you would expect against a low seed playoff team from your #1 option. Defensively Dwight is probably the best player in the league. But offensively he is highly overrated. He is nowhere near as dominating as Shaq was in the hay day. He also has a very weak selection of post moves. Now on D im assuming they will want to put Dwight on David West which to me seems like a win. Dwight is best camping down low, making blocks and grabbing boards. West will force Dwight to play him outside of the key and off the dribble. He isnít going to try and bang on the block with Dwight as that would obviously play to his strengths. If Dwight doesnít move up David West will knock down that nifty mid range jumper, and if he does the middle is suddenly available for Lebron, Mayo, Billups etc. So Although Dwight is clearly the superior player to birdman we should be able to keep their #1 option in check. While weakening there D by drawing their best defensive player out the paint.

Large Edge: 76ERS

PF: David West vs. Drew Gooden. Like most the other matchups this is a straightforward deal. West would easily dominate Gooden on O and shouldnít have any trouble guarding Gooden. We feel that if need be we could roll West over to help on Howard, and make Gooden beat us. Goodenís best season was in 04-05 back with Cleveland where he had a nice frontcourt mate in Big Z and Lebron James. Even then he only averaged 14 PPG. Gooden isnít someone who will torch us for 20 PPG even if left open occasionally. At the end of the year when Westís Hornets played Goodenís Clippers, West prevailed putting up 24 points, 7 assists, and 5 boards.

Large Edge: Nets

SF: Lebron James vs. Luol Deng. This is a no brainier as well. Lebron averaged 31.8 PPG, 8.2 APG, 9.2 RPG while shooting an awesome 0.567 FG%. Lebron absolutely torched the Bulls. Against Dengís Bulls Lebron increased all of his season averages listed except for assists. Lebron is a first team all NBA member, a back-to-back MVP, and an all NBA defensive team member. He has shown a lot of success against Deng in the past this should be a pretty easy battle for LBJ. I was told Deng is there #2 option and honestly donít see him being a huge factor here.

SG: O.J. Mayo vs. Ray Allen. Mhm this is a toughy. Ray Allen is no doubt who I would rather have taking a big shot for me in the playoffs. But in this series Mayo is probably my 4th option and he averaged more points then Allen last year. Mayo is also a very good 3-point shooter and at this point a far better attacker then Ray. Ray is a decent defender so I donít think Mayo run him to the ground or anything but Mayo could still score. Mayo is not a fantastic defender but Ray Allen isnít a super hard coverage job. Mayo is quicker and would only need to keep Ray Allen in front of him and challenge his jump shot. Ray is the definition of a pure shooter so Mayo mainly would be chasing ray off screens. I think Mayo is the better player currently but I wouldnít blame anyone for choosing either way.

Minor Edge: Undetermined
PG: Chauncey Billups vs. Jose Calderon. To me the key match up in the game is right here. Chauncey is the proven winner, the better defender, the better scorer, and the tougher player. Calderon ended up getting benched this year and even though I like him on the offensive side of the ball Chauncey is a pretty solid defender. In 2 games against Denver, Calderon averaged, 9.5 PPG, and 6.5 APG. Not exactly devastating numbers. Caldy is a good player and should get some nice assists kicking to Ray Allen and feeding Dwight but I think our game plan, as a whole would do a pretty good job on this team. Chauncey could take Calderon inside, outside and all over the place as he has a very high basketball IQ and is a top-notch playoff PG. Where Calderon has never got past the first round and plays awful defence.

Bench: Iím biased there is no doubt but I think my bench is one of the leagues best. And as mentioned in the 76ERS previous match up there bench is sort of lacking. Conley is comparable to Calderon himself and he is my backup. Beabois is a fantastic scorer and im double biased because Iím a mavs fan but ask anyone who saw him play last year and they will have to admit the kid looked good. Im not alone many people believe Mcgrady is a perfect player on this team. Playing limited minutes behind Lebron. I donít see anyone on the sixerís bench that could effectively stop my bench sparks from lighting it up on the court. Hickson and Millicic are both quality bench bigs. Hickson is a nice young guy and Millicic stepped in decently as a starter last year.

Summary: I believe that birdman, and sometimes West could keep Dwight in check, as he really isnít a number 1 offensive option. I also think that with West drawing Dwight away from the key the sixerís D is extremely vulnerable. Lebron and Billups would both put up very strong numbers in this series both dominating their opposing player on both sides of the ball. Mcgrady, Conley, Roddy should all score off the bench efficiently. Dwight vs. Birdman is there only clear advantage. But as I explained I believe we found ways to exploit the teamís weaknesses and all are other matchups should lead us to a strong and winning series.

76ers:

C: Dwight Howard/ Chris Humphries
PF: Drew Gooden/ David Andersen
SF: Luol Deng/ Jerry Stackhouse
SG: Ray Allen/ Nick Young
PG: Jose Calderon/ Kyle Lowry

76ers Write-Up:

"Lebron Haters of the PSD NBA Forum : I have returned.Ö Rally to me." ĖGeneral Douglas MacArthur

Dwight Howard: Hey look guys! Itís the 2nd round!
Lebron James: Hey! Youíre right. Time to give up!
Dwight Howard: Well atleast try enough to get this series to 6 games. Canít beat you up too badly or else people will get suspicious.
Lebron James: You got it doooood.

After Clevelandís loss to the Celtics in Game 5, Brian Windhorst asked James about his disapointing play. He got a shocking answer from LeBron - "I feel bad for myself. I have spoiled the fans over the past seven years with my play."

The Philadelphia 76ers are happy to make it to the 2nd round and look forward to playing the New Jersey Nets in a best of seven series. This Nets team is extremely good; any team with Lebron James is good, at least in the regular season. But again, this is the postseason, boys and girls.

The Nets are an extremely potent offensive team, on the perimeter. But inside things are quite different. Every single championship team in the history of the NBA excluding Michael Jordanís Bulls had atleast one elite post player. Is David West that? Frankly, no. Especially not against Dwight Howard, the leagueís most intimidating, athletic and game changing defensive presence. Oh, and Lebron is not on Jordanís level, so these Nets are not an exception to this rule. Dwight on West will give West all sorts of problems offensively, and on the other side, Birdman despite being a very good post defender, all that wonít come to much use. After all, Dwight relies primarily on his sheer athleticism to bully his way to the basket rather than post moves. Birdman will not be able to match up against him. Double teaming Dwight is not an option either as Drew Gooden is a much better scorer than people give him credit for, he has a nice jump hook and is a great free throw shooter. And while Gooden is average at best defensively, heíll matchup against Birdman who is barely a threat at all on that side.

Even on the perimeter, the Nets have flaws. For one, OJ Mayo is a poor defender. At 6í4 his team last year gave up more than 3 more points when he was on the floor than when he wasnít, per 100 possessions. Against the best shooter of our generation, who for once has a height advantage, look for Ray Allen to have a great series. Oh, and his other backcourt mate, Chauncey Billups? His Nuggets gave up 2.8 more points per 100 possessions when he was on the court. Father time has caught up to him. Furthermore, Billups shot under 42% from the field last year so even though Calderon is a supbar defender, primarily at drive defense, Billups by no means will explode on him. His FG percentages might rise to around 45% on Caldy but on the other side, the super efficient Calderon will have his way too against Billups now declining defense.

Oh, and that Lebron guy. Loul Deng is a pretty good defender, so itís not like Lebron will have it easy. Oh and thereís that Dwight guy in the paint. Even King James will have it hard with Dwight in his face, so Lebrick might have to settle for more long range shots than he normally takes. He averages around 5 per game making around 33% of them, so I expect those 3PA numbers to rise to around 8. Bron bron will have to beat this team from deep, barring of course if wants to or not. After all, he has spoiled his fans with his play over the past 7 years. Even Bron bron needs a break. And he always chooses to take that break in the playoffs. Heíll still get his points when he doesnít give up. So maybe the 1st three games heíll score around his season averages. After that ehhhhhhh.

Bench wise, the Nets are redundant. Two of their top 3 bench guys are point guards who are too undersized to play SG. So basically, Beaubois and Conley can split the 13 or so minutes that Billups is out of the game. McGrady is a shell of himself and if heís their top bench guy, look out. Heís horrid now at defense and is nothing like he was. Darko is a solid backup center for a team with an average starter but with Birdman as the starter when heís best suited as a 6th man type, Iím not sure how that will work. Will they split the 48 minutes between each other? Either way, neither is an offensive threat so Howard will only have to worry about one guy in the post. My top 5 guys off the bench are Jerry Stackhouse, Nick Young, Kyle Lowry, Vladmir Radmonivic, and Kris Humphries. None of these guys are redundant and each serves its purpose. Vlad Rad can come in to stretch the floor to give Dwight even more space to operate, Lowry is a tough defender who is still a good play maker to give rest to the defensively challenged Calderon and both Stackhouse and Young are interchangeable at the wing positions and will provide a scoring spark off the bench. Humphries is a great energy player who will spell Dwight for a few minutes a game while providing good defense and rebounding.

The New Jersey Nets are extremely good team. However they rely on Lebron, who is probably now the best complementary player ever. Is that enough to lead them past the 2nd round? Not without a Dwayne Wade. 76ers take this in 6.

PS: Iím allowed to have a little fun with this. These things are ridiculously boring to write, but this one was much more fun for me.

zambo4president
07-17-2010, 08:11 PM
76ers have an UGLY big man rotation. Nets starting frontcourt blows but they have solid reserves in Hickson and Darko. Luol can shut down LeBron though. Mayo would **** on Ray Ray. Chauncey's a winner but Calderon's not a bad option to stick on him. 76ers have the better reserve backcourt but the Nets have the better overall bench. Nets win, but this was a pretty good matchup.

RocketsRule
07-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Nets in 5 or 6. Just a better overall team.

Ebbs
07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Why is this poll not public again?

ManRam
07-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Nets...but I think it would be a real good series.

jeff86
07-17-2010, 08:17 PM
im not a huge fan of the 76ers team

im not a fan of gooden calderon or deng

DaddyCool
07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
No one reads writeups I guess. :(

Ebbs
07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
No one reads writeups I guess. :(

lol how would that change anything? Its mostly opinion. . .

DaddyCool
07-17-2010, 08:59 PM
But it's funny opinion. And lets not pretend yours is completely cold hard fact. ._.

Raidaz4Life
07-17-2010, 09:03 PM
As much as I didn't want to I had to go with the Nets... they were significantly better...

Ebbs
07-17-2010, 09:18 PM
But it's funny opinion. And lets not pretend yours is completely cold hard fact. ._.

lol I meant both write ups are mostly opinion lol.

As much as I didn't want to I had to go with the Nets... they were significantly better...

Why didn't you wnat too haha

gbpackers12
07-18-2010, 06:06 AM
I got the Nets in this one.

nygiants242
07-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Nets win by a large margin

Sportfan
07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Pacers would have beaten the Nets :p

sixer04fan
07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
The sixers have a great roster, but the Nets team looks to be bread for a championship with Billups/Lebron, and a strong supporting cast.

As much as I love the sixers and hate the nets in real life, I gotta vote nets here.

Ebbs
07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Pacers would have beaten the Nets :p

lol fat chance!!! But I was more scared to play you. I think Harris would have been probably Billups toughest assignment in this. And Despite Lebron playing really well against LA I think people would overrate what Artest could do to LBJ.

I liked Birdman on Gasol though and West could then guard biedrins.

The sixers have a great roster, but the Nets team looks to be bread for a championship with Billups/Lebron, and a strong supporting cast.

As much as I love the sixers and hate the nets in real life, I gotta vote nets here.

thank you. I hope so haha

J-Relo
07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
76ers owner plays with all the Lebron haters (but somehow you don't get them voting) lol

DaddyCool
07-18-2010, 02:30 PM
76ers owner plays with all the Lebron haters (but somehow you don't get them voting) lol

lol pretty much my only chance of winning. :p Seems like all the Lebron haters are shy though. :(

Gators123
07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Nets