PDA

View Full Version : Ilgauskas signs as Heat's ninth player

Kobe5RingKing
07-17-2010, 04:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5388692

Storch
07-17-2010, 05:01 PM
This is a good signing for the heat. But, he is very limited in Defense.

kEviN21
07-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Better than a third of the centers out there

Drunk Kosar 19
07-17-2010, 05:06 PM
He will be solid, that freaking guy...im glad for him, its not like the cavs would even want him

Scalphunter13
07-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Dwight Howard must be licking his chops. Big Z is quite possibly the slowest play in the league baseline to baseline. He is a defensive liability and doesn't provide the down low presence the Heat need. Do you really want you 7'3 center jacking up mid-range jumpers leaving the paint open for defensive rebounds? But it must come as a positive for the heat because now they are only 3 players away from having a full squad.

BobSagetSucks
07-17-2010, 05:08 PM
hes old and slow as hell

why is miami signing all these old *** players

kjoke
07-17-2010, 05:13 PM
hes old and slow as hell

:confused: who? only howard and z

Cubsfan365
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes. They. Did.

SpeeMN
07-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't blame them. Experience Experience Experience. That's what the Heat want.

justinnum1
07-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Dwight Howard must be licking his chops. Big Z is quite possibly the slowest play in the league baseline to baseline. He is a defensive liability and doesn't provide the down low presence the Heat need. Do you really want you 7'3 center jacking up mid-range jumpers leaving the paint open for defensive rebounds? But it must come as a positive for the heat because now they are only 3 players away from having a full squad.

Howard will be licking his chops from the bench...he will be in constant foul trouble against the heat

Jack Daniels
07-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Better than a third of the centers out there

That may be accurate but I do put alot of guys ahead of him at this point. David Lee, Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogut, Marc Gasol, Al Jefferson, Al Horford, Chris Kaman, Andrew Bynum, Andrea Bargnani, Marcus Camby, Nene, Andray Blatche, Brendan Haywood, Mehmet Okur, Channing Frye, Samuel Dalembert, Kendrick Perkins, Joakim Noah,Brad Miller Spencer Hawes.... are all more capable at the Center position than Z.

Jack Daniels
07-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes. They. Did.

That gets gayer ever time...

tangent12
07-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Miami is looking less scary with each move.

Team will absolutely destroy the Heat inside.

WITZ
07-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Don't tell heat fans/bandwagoners they are gonna be soft.

Cubsfan365
07-17-2010, 05:44 PM
That gets gayer ever time...
What are you talking about?

_KB24_
07-17-2010, 05:54 PM
They have now have one of the worst low post defensives in the league now. Bosh, Big Z, Anthony and Haslem... :laugh2:

BkOriginalOne
07-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Lakers are gonna destroy them if that's all they got.
Teams that take it to the rack (most playoff teams) will have a fun time against them.
Lebron and Dwade are gonna have to play first team defense in order to stop penetration.

The heat need more versatility... With no defensive rebounding they can't even get out on the break like they need to. This is more proof that Lebron is gonna have to play point in order to simply make the entire lineup bigger and better on the boards.

arkanian215
07-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Good pickup. They're building a little more depth than expected.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Lol ok buddy :rolleyes:

The Flash
07-17-2010, 06:35 PM
:facepalm:
They have now have one of the worst low post defensives in the league now. Bosh, Big Z, Anthony and Haslem... :laugh2:

Raidaz4Life
07-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Solid pick up for what's out there. I hate Big Z for following Lebron like a little puppy with his tail between his legs.

kjoke
07-17-2010, 06:37 PM

that low post can hold its own....

people make it seem bosh is like ****** player:facepalm:

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 06:40 PM
That may be accurate but I do put alot of guys ahead of him at this point. David Lee, Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogut, Marc Gasol, Al Jefferson, Al Horford, Chris Kaman, Andrew Bynum, Andrea Bargnani, Marcus Camby, Nene, Andray Blatche, Brendan Haywood, Mehmet Okur, Channing Frye, Samuel Dalembert, Kendrick Perkins, Joakim Noah,Brad Miller Spencer Hawes.... are all more capable at the Center position than Z.

I think this is probably true, but how many of them were free agents that would play for the minimum? Probably the only one who possibly would have would be Brad Miller, but look what he got from Houston. I really don't think he will have to put in more than 15 min a game, if that. Personally I would rather have a proven vet than some random young player that you don't know what they will contribute. I think he will work out fine for what we need him for. I will admit that he's not my favorite choice to back up Joel Anthony though.

Jahari Kavi
07-17-2010, 06:42 PM
This isn't the 80s or 90s...as long as someone tall is playing center then you can survive.....Howard is the only guy that I've seen dominate Big Z (which is why you have Joel Anthony...who can play defense)...Bynum is a tall scrub who lives off of offensive rebounds....Big Z can slow that down.......Miami just needs eddie house and another big.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 06:45 PM

They are obviously undersized when compared to the Lakers, but how many teams have 2 players the size and caliber of Gasol/Bynum? Bosh may not be great and Big Z is old, but Anthony and Haslem are very capable defenders. I think many people will be surprised by Anthony this season.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 06:48 PM
This isn't the 80s or 90s...as long as someone tall is playing center then you can survive.....Howard is the only guy that I've seen dominate Big Z (which is why you have Joel Anthony...who can play defense)...Bynum is a tall scrub who lives off of offensive rebounds....Big Z can slow that down.......Miami just needs eddie house and another big.

This is a good post. Howard did not play well against Miami last season when they had Jermaine O'neal and Anthony. He was in foul trouble all the time against Miami when they only had Wade. Anthony is a very good shot blocker and Z will take up space. As much as people want to rip on him for being old, he's still a huge body. There aren't many guys bigger than him.

CavsYanksDuke
07-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Denial is an ugly thing, Chicago fans.

plpfctn
07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Z has nothing left in his tank. But at least they now have someone over 6,10. But it doesnt help that he can barely run.

plpfctn
07-17-2010, 07:04 PM
The Heat now have the worst bench in the league. They also have the worst starting PG and Center in the league.

Fmaranesi
07-17-2010, 07:10 PM
The Heat now have the worst bench in the league. They also have the worst starting PG and Center in the league.

Our bench consists of Haslem , Miller, Z, as of now..who do the lakers have again??? Odom , Brown and blake and i think thats it. not such a scary bench there laker fan huh? and where is all that toughness and size inside in your bench laker fan? i dont see it.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 07:14 PM

You've got to be ******** me. The worst bench, really? Come on now, you're being ridiculous. Miller and Haslem could both start on most teams in the league and have both started in the recent past. Big Z is good as a backup center. We aren't done signing people either. They will still sign a PG and another wing player. Lebron or Wade are going to end up handling the ball all the time anyway, so PG doesn't matter as much as it would for other teams.

dnewguy
07-17-2010, 07:25 PM
You've got to be ******** me. The worst bench, really? Come on now, you're being ridiculous. Miller and Haslem could both start on most teams in the league and have both started in the recent past. Big Z is good as a backup center. We aren't done signing people either. They will still sign a PG and another wing player. Lebron or Wade are going to end up handling the ball all the time anyway, so PG doesn't matter as much as it would for other teams.

Haters will hate, they would always find a reason to feel like they have a chance against Miami....name me 3 defensive c's in the league better than Anthony, heck name me 2. We have bosh and Anthony in front court, that according to some is weak.....our back court is also weak according to some because we have Mario.....lets ignore Wade and Bron and focus on Mario....lol. Some people.

avrpatsfan
07-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I think he was joking, but I'm unbiased and I can say their bench is really good. The players they have put around the big 3 have been great ones.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I think he was joking, but I'm unbiased and I can say their bench is really good. The players they have put around the big 3 have been great ones.

I appreciate an honest, unbiased opinion. I really think he was serious though. I just don't feel like I'm being biased in saying that Haslem and Miller are quality bench players and Z is serviceable as a backup. That's not unrealistic.

_KB24_
07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
They are obviously undersized when compared to the Lakers, but how many teams have 2 players the size and caliber of Gasol/Bynum? Bosh may not be great and Big Z is old, but Anthony and Haslem are very capable defenders. I think many people will be surprised by Anthony this season.

You have to be my favorite Heat poster because your the only one who actually doesn't get all round up.

But their front court is extremely weak on the defensive end and you know it dude. I've watched numerous Raptors games over the year, (I have the Score on satellite) and Bosh is atrocious on the defensive end. Keep in mind he was part of one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history last year. Anthony is a average defender at best and Haslem is the only one I think can bang with others but he is undersized as well. Teams like Houston, LA, Orlando, Boston, Dallas, and Portland are going to eat them alive down there.

shep33
07-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Well their front court will be dominated in the playoffs by teams like Chicago, Boston, and Orlando.

Big Z as the starting center is fine, but defensively I remember him getting lit up by D12 two years ago... Z is getting older and slower, while D12 is getting better offensively... they don't want to put Bosh on him either, cause if Bosh picks up fouls then their frontcourt becomes very weak.

Chicago with Boozer and Noah, and really either of them can guard big Z, its not like he's going to get alot of touches with his back to the basket anyways. So Noah goes on Bosh and he should be able to slow him down significantly. Besides working on offense, Bosh will either have to guard Noah who is very active, or Boozer who is a legit 20 ppg guy.

Against Boston causes the biggest concern upfront for the Heat... they will get dominated by KG, Perk, JO, Big Baby, etc. KG alone can shutdown Bosh with no help, allowing Perkins, JO, or Davis to get helpside in order to close off the lanes for Wade and James...

I really think a healthy Celtics which happens to be the best defensive team, will be tough to beat.

The Bulls are going to surprise a lot of people next year IMO. People underestimate their lineup consisting of:

Rose
Brewer
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Korver off the bench to provide shooting, but most of all... they are going to play lockdown defense. Coach Thibbs, is a defensive guru, and the Bulls were already the best rebounding team last year, and a top defensive team. They just added scoring and consistent shoowing in Boozer and Korver, a great wing defender in Brewer, who also brings athleticism.

ATX
07-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Miami won 47 games last season with a starting frontcourt of Beasley and JO. Beasley was worthless defensively and only slightly above average offensively. JO was/is putrid. He can't jump anymore, was a terrible rebounder, and was only okay at times offensively. He has no more energy. We all saw how terrible he played during the playoffs right? So you think now, that Bosh, Z, and Anthony will be getting the minutes that Miami is getting worse? Bosh is head and shoulders better than Beasley on both ends of the floor. Joel Anthony is a very good defensive C. If anything they have improved the frontcourt. Sure, Z is only a stop gap guy who will probably only see 20 minutes a night, and Anthony is a 2nd string guy, but Bosh is the cornerstone of the frontcourt and Anthony is locked up as the backup center now. Haslem is also locked in as the 2nd string PF. He is one of the best 2nd string guys you could have. Same with Mike Miller. Miami should have the MLE exception next season and there will be many good centers in the 2011 FA class. Besides, Miami was going to have to trot out d leaguers if they signed James and Bosh right? They are doing a GREAT job of rounding out the team all things considered. Miami also drafted two bigs in this years draft, and maybe one of them pans out. You sir, are what we call a hater. Here is the foundation of the team.

?/Chalmers
Wade/?
James/Miller
Bosh/Haslem
?/Anthony

The ? marks are the only missing pieces. Otherwise the foundation is there, and Miami has done the best they could with those ? marks. This team is nasty and you know it.

ATX
07-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Sure Rose and Noah, I'll give you. But Boozer, Deng, and Brewer would all be 2nd string on the Heat. Miami is better, and I think just about everybody outside of Miami haters can see this.

MrfadeawayJB
07-17-2010, 07:49 PM
The heat bench is looking better every signing, but they will get creamed in the paint.

ellisgw
07-17-2010, 07:51 PM
somehow big z is the focal point to the heat. he is gonna get 15 to 20 min at most in a game haha

ATX
07-17-2010, 07:56 PM
somehow big z is the focal point to the heat. he is gonna get 15 to 20 min at most in a game haha

He is FAR from the focal point. What are you talking about? He's a veteran role player. He can knock down mid range shots and will help spread the floor for our wings to get into the paint. Yes, he will probably only get 20 minutes a night...So how is he a focal point? Signing LBJ/WADE/BOSH/MILLER/HASLEM...Those were focal points.

KTheo77
07-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Didn't Cleveland have the best record in the NBA the past two seasons with a 400 pound Shaq and the same old washed up Z you guys are bashing? Let me throw out some names for you Luc Longley, Bill Wentington. Remember these guys? They were terrible, but they didn't have to do anything, just do the jump ball and stand under the basket, and that's pretty much all Miami is asking from it's centers.

Every team has a weak link but only one team has two of the 3 best players in the game. I'll put my money on the Heat with Z, Anthony, Gheorge Muresan or anybody else you wanna put at center.

Kevj77
07-17-2010, 08:09 PM
I thought Riley wanted James to play PG (Magic Johnson type PG). Wouldn't that make Miller a starter? Either way Miller is getting signed to spread the floor for the big 3, he's going to get starter minutes. I don't see him as part of Miami's bench, which does give Miami one of the worst benches in the NBA until they sign a few more players.

KTheo77
07-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I still believe we will start a traditional PG, either Chalmers or whoever we might sign. I think Wade will be SG, Lebron at SF, Bosh at PF and Big Z at center. The offense is gonna run through Lebron and Wade but they are not gonna have either of them chasing the opponents PG around all night. They will start a traditional PG to guard the opponents PG if nothing else.

justinnum1
07-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Anyone saying Miami has a weak bench is an ignorant idiot.

bbblack40
07-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I thought Riley wanted James to play PG (Magic Johnson type PG). Wouldn't that make Miller a starter? Either way Miller is getting signed to spread the floor for the big 3, he's going to get starter minutes. I don't see him as part of Miami's bench, which does give Miami one of the worst benches in the NBA until they sign a few more players.

U dont see him as part as their bench? 1st of all who cares what u see ur not the coach 2nd of all pat riley has alreadt stated mike miller will be the sixth man. so miller and haslem off the bench alone are better than most benches in the league plus the heat aren't done yet.

Kevj77
07-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Theo how many minute do you see Miller getting? My thinking is he will play big minutes. They need a shooter out there with the big 3 for spacing and against zone.

bbblack40
07-17-2010, 08:28 PM
You have to be my favorite Heat poster because your the only one who actually doesn't get all round up.

But their front court is extremely weak on the defensive end and you know it dude. I've watched numerous Raptors games over the year, (I have the Score on satellite) and Bosh is atrocious on the defensive end. Keep in mind he was part of one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history last year. Anthony is a average defender at best and Haslem is the only one I think can bang with others but he is undersized as well. Teams like Houston, LA, Orlando, Boston, Dallas, and Portland are going to eat them alive down there.

From what you write i can tell you havent really watch wade and lebron play. let me break it down for you, all these teams the are goin to "eat" the heat alive well the bigs for those teams r goin to be in early foul trouble because wade and lebron will be attacking the rim gettin to the line and breaking the big frontline down. the question the league should be asking is how r they goin to stop wade and lebron on the same team? answer you cant

knicksfan42
07-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Howard will be licking his chops from the bench...he will be in constant foul trouble against the heat

Thats true; Wade (4th in FTs attempted), Lebron (3rd in FTs attempted), and Bosh (7th in FTs attempted) = Free Throw Party (2065 FTs in a season)

Entire teams will be in foul trouble, I've always wanted to see what would happen if every player on a team fouled out.

bbblack40
07-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Theo how many minute do you see Miller getting? My thinking is he will play big minutes. They need a shooter out there with the big 3 for spacing and against zone.

I know im not theo but imagine toni kukoc for the bulls in the late 90's thats goin to be mike miller's role 29+mins. a night.

Kevj77
07-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Teams will get in foul trouble, it won't be as bad as Heat fans think. The big 3 will have to change their games some to play together, refs will adjust and swallow the whistle a bit.

Shaq could have fouled out entire teams frontcourt in his prime, there was contact everytime he got the ball and the refs could have blown a whistle either offensive or defensive whenever he touched it. Yet it didn't happen as often it could have. Shaq in his prime was the most difficult person the ref, the refs adjusted by simply not blowing the whistle as much.

bbblack40
07-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Teams will get in foul trouble, it won't be as bad as Heat fans think. The big 3 will have to change their games some to play together, refs will adjust and swallow the whistle a bit.

Shaq could have fouled out entire teams frontcourt in his prime, there was contact everytime he got the ball and the refs could have blown a whistle either offensive or defensive whenever he touched it. Yet it didn't happen as often it could have. Shaq in his prime was the most difficult person the ref, the refs adjusted by simply not blowing the whistle as much.

shaq in his prime had the whole front court in foul trouble. ur right refs want call everything but wade and bron will force them to call it bc they will keep attacking. we will both just have to wait and see.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 08:53 PM
He is FAR from the focal point. What are you talking about? He's a veteran role player. He can knock down mid range shots and will help spread the floor for our wings to get into the paint. Yes, he will probably only get 20 minutes a night...So how is he a focal point? Signing LBJ/WADE/BOSH/MILLER/HASLEM...Those were focal points.

I think he was joking about how people are making such a big deal about Z when he's only going to come off the bench and play 15 min/game.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Thats true; Wade (4th in FTs attempted), Lebron (3rd in FTs attempted), and Bosh (7th in FTs attempted) = Free Throw Party (2065 FTs in a season)

Entire teams will be in foul trouble, I've always wanted to see what would happen if every player on a team fouled out.

I'd like to see some 5 on 4 action. Lol. Maybe they would have to put the towel boy in or an assistant coach just to get the 5th guy.

ellisgw
07-17-2010, 09:00 PM

im mocking the stupid people who are saying heat are terrible inside. They acting biz z is the heat focal point. All the heat need is big garbage man. They are way too explosive for other teams. Suns took LA to six games they are horrible on defense. By one of the games was a shot at the buzzer. Also oklahoma city does not have a great inside presence d either and they give LA Fits. You have idiots on this forum hate the heat cause good players got together and beat the system.

ATX
07-17-2010, 09:09 PM
im mocking the stupid people who are saying heat are terrible inside. They acting biz z is the heat focal point. All the heat need is big garbage man. They are way too explosive for other teams. Suns took LA to six games they are horrible on defense. By one of the games was a shot at the buzzer. Also oklahoma city does not have a great inside presence d either and they give LA Fits. You have idiots on this forum hate the heat cause good players got together and beat the system.

Right on.

kriviant
07-17-2010, 09:41 PM

Amen. :clap::clap:

The HEAT will be just fine.

daleja424
07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
It seems like some people are getting over the anger and thinking straight, but a lot of people are still hating.

Big Z will get about 10 minutes a game and wont even play some nights. He is the 9th or 10th man on this team at most.

Corey
07-17-2010, 10:55 PM
This is turning into a very complete team.

Big Z will flourish with the open mid range looks he's going to get.

Haslem and Miller are starter-quality players.

Those that are ****-talking Chalmers have no idea how good he actually is. Being a massive Jayhawk fan, I may be a bit biased...But Chalmers is a very solid defensive player with good handles, a solid stroke off the catch and the dribble, and is highly competitive. He's so much better than anyone is giving him credit for.

RCarlson85
07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
This is turning into a very complete team.

Big Z will flourish with the open mid range looks he's going to get.

Haslem and Miller are starter-quality players.

Those that are ****-talking Chalmers have no idea how good he actually is. Being a massive Jayhawk fan, I may be a bit biased...But Chalmers is a very solid defensive player with good handles, a solid stroke off the catch and the dribble, and is highly competitive. He's so much better than anyone is giving him credit for.

I think Chalmers has talent and should not be written off. I view him as similar to Rondo when he got his first chance with the Celtics. No one thought anything of him, but he has improved every year. Now he is a true star and one of the best PGs in the game. Not saying that Chalmers will be that good, but he is still young and can improve.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Riley needs to open Free Throws sessions daily.

basketfan4life
07-17-2010, 11:09 PM
people will be like i cursed at their moms or sthing,but my honest opinion is that,if they had the chance to land only wade and lebron but not bosh,they would be better,they could use that money on players like haywood+a solid pg,i think they would be better,because i think bosh is at best a 15-17 ppg scorer on that team and low post defensive forces are more of what they need than scoring,i mean you already have wade and james on that team for points...i honestly think bosh will have a very hard time on that team.

dodie53
07-17-2010, 11:34 PM
so,
who's the next player/s that is going to sign with the heat?

BronBron06
07-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Never underestimate Bosh, He was stuck with EuroPlayers, you still never seen him play with real talent

Bullsfan22
07-17-2010, 11:43 PM
The Heat are making good moves. PSD is filled with haters and homers it gets disgusting sometimes.

Penetra8r
07-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Let it be!

Mochalman
07-18-2010, 12:34 AM
people forget the 2nd round players the heat drafted. butler who was considered best in the tourney till he got hurt. lebron made hickson look good so i msure he can do the same for dexter pittman. not sure how he was on the defense side of the ball in college though.

big z was an alright pick up, rather see Shaq come in for minimum to get one more ring.

dimedrpr
07-18-2010, 01:56 AM
Anyone saying Miami has a weak bench is an ignorant idiot.

They do have a weak bench. Just be happy with Wade, Bron, and Bosh. Miami fans don't have to pretend the bench is good too when it's obviously going to be a weak link with no money to spend. Nobody else was in the Joel Anthony or Ilgauskas market.

DR. Pepper
07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
hes old and slow as hell

well howard and Z have experience.. showing the ropes to Pittman and vernado??:shrug:

kEviN21
07-18-2010, 02:15 AM

When you have LBJ, Wade, and Bosh, you don't exactly need a tier one center. Even against teams like the Magic, Miami will still do fine. And if you mention the Lakers, both the Suns and the Thunder were incredibly undersized at center but still gave it a tough fight. With Big Z, Haslem, and filler, they will do just as much as they are needed.

THE MTL
07-18-2010, 03:22 AM

You clearly dont know Haslem's and Anthony's game!