PDA

View Full Version : Brad Miller Signs w/ the Rockets ~ 3 yrs/$15 mil

arkanian215
07-17-2010, 02:28 PM
LAS VEGAS -- Veteran center Brad Miller has agreed to a three-year contract worth nearly $15 million with the Houston Rockets, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

The Rockets were always considered a strong contender to win the summer race to sign Miller. He attracted interested from numerous teams but was strongly lobbied to move to Houston by Rockets coach Rick Adelman and guard Kevin Martin after the trio's success in Sacramento.

The third year of the contract is partially guaranteed, sources said.

Amid its well-chronicled interest in trying to pursue Chris Bosh in free agency, Houston also targeted Miller early as an ideal complement to the return Yao Ming and the re-signed Luis Scola to reunite with Martin and help facilitate Adelman's offense.

Miller, 34, made two All-Star Games as a member of the Kings and spent the last season and a half with the Chicago Bulls. It was the second stint in Chicago for Miller, who has also played in Charlotte and Indiana.

Atlanta, Boston and Miami are among the teams that have courted Miller since free agency began July 1, with Chicago also expressing interest in re-signing him.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5388602
The Rockets weren't kidding about matching offers and now they're adding another vet big on top of retaining Lowry and Scola.

tangent12
07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
:pity::pity:

kjoke
07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
wowowowowow

North Yorker
07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
They're really deep, but they are only contenders if Yao stays healthy...soo, place your bets ladies and gents.

Cullksinikers
07-17-2010, 02:37 PM
You beat my thread by a minute. They'll lock it soon. But, he was not worth $5 million a year. Here comes Kurt Thomas! Help me.

arkanian215
07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Haha yeah I was trying to.

The contract isn't too bad since the final year is partially guaranteed.

I thought they'd get a bruiser in there to backup Yao and Scola. Jordan Hill isn't exactly the strongest guy.
I guess they have Chuck Hayes but he's pretty undersized.

Avenged
07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Good sign for the Rockets and a great replacement if Yao can stay healthy.

He'd still be a solid starter for the Rockets if Yao has to miss some games.

tdunk21
07-17-2010, 02:48 PM
he is a very good backup for yao......good signing

Wizard of O's
07-17-2010, 02:48 PM
What a great offseason so far...

PP

resigning Lowry and Scola

signing the Bulldog!

I see Houston making a big trade soon

Jays Claw
07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Brad Miller would be great insurance if Yao Ming isn't healthy. So far, the Rockets have had a decent off season.

HouRealCoach
07-17-2010, 02:51 PM
^^ Next step is to get Iggy

jimbobjarree
07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
sweet deal for brad

raidersrock99
07-17-2010, 02:58 PM
one thing to is kmart and brad have chemistry

Swashcuff
07-17-2010, 03:00 PM
^^ Next step is to get Iggy

Tell me more?

please don't say Shane Battier or Trevor Ariza because we have enough swing men.

TheKing23
07-17-2010, 03:10 PM
The Rockets are actually one of the deepest teams in the league now.

PG: Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry
SG: Kevin Martin/Chase Budinger
SF: Trevor Ariza/Shane Battier
PF: Luis Scola/Jordan Hill/Patrick Patterson
C: Yao Ming/Brad Miller

WOW... Talk about depth.

Mplsman
07-17-2010, 03:15 PM
no mo Yao?

BkOriginalOne
07-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Good Pickup for the Rockets and not a bad deal price wise.
Still, I thought he would go title chasing.

Swashcuff
07-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Good Pickup for the Rockets and not a bad deal price wise.
Still, I thought he would go title chasing.

With a healthy Yao Ming, the Rockets can very well contend for the ship within the next three seasons. They are probably the deepest team in the league. Along with having legit star players. The key for them will be Brooks' PG play, Ariza's and K-Mart shot selection and Yao's health, if everything falls into place there's no reason they can't contend.

Swashcuff
07-17-2010, 03:22 PM

WOW... Talk about depth.

As much as I dislike the guy don't forget the starting C of last season, Chuck Hayes. Solid tough nose player.

*Silver&Black*
07-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't get this actually, unless Yao isn't healthy.

The Rockets have Yao Ming, Chuck Hayes, Luis Scola, Jordan Hill and Patrick Patterson. Now with Brad Miller, who isn't going to play? Yao and Scola starts. Hayes and Patterson needs playing time. Which means is Miller going to prob take Hayes' playing time (which shouldn't happen).

Depth is good, but for 5 mil a year for someone who will prob be 3rd center isn't good. This is either for just in case Yao gets hurt, or a trade.

Wizard of O's
07-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Tell me more?

please don't say Shane Battier or Trevor Ariza because we have enough swing men.

there is a rumor the rockets and 76ers are talking ariza, hill and jeffries for iggy and jason smith

Swashcuff
07-17-2010, 03:28 PM
there is a rumor the rockets and 76ers are talking ariza, hill and jeffries for iggy and jason smith

no no no there is an idea. Philly didn't consider that for a second.

npjcajun
07-17-2010, 03:28 PM

WOW... Talk about depth.

Plus Jeffries and Hayes.

npjcajun
07-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I don't get this actually, unless Yao isn't healthy.

The Rockets have Yao Ming, Chuck Hayes, Luis Scola, Jordan Hill and Patrick Patterson. Now with Brad Miller, who isn't going to play? Yao and Scola starts. Hayes and Patterson needs playing time. Which means is Miller going to prob take Hayes' playing time (which shouldn't happen).

Depth is good, but for 5 mil a year for someone who will prob be 3rd center isn't good. This is either for just in case Yao gets hurt, or a trade.

Brad Miller will be back up for sure. He is more of a center than Hayes. Hayes is more of a PF. Good move for the Rockets for sure. There are a lot of bigs in the West. Can never have enough bigs. Especially with them bringing Ming back slowly. He isn't going to play much more than half of a game for awhile.

npjcajun
07-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Would love Iggy or Granger. Doubt it happens though.

NoTippinPippen
07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Rockets can be dangerous with a healthy Yao next season. Miller's a great pick up and will be missed here in Chicago

RocketsRule
07-17-2010, 04:29 PM

WOW... Talk about depth.

Almost too much depth. I feel a trade brewing, but I could be wrong.

Wade_County
07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Adelman forming the kings, lol

Good signing

Cubsfan365
07-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Adelman forming the kings, lol

Good signing
Why? Because they have two players from when Adelman was there?

IversonIsKrazy
07-17-2010, 05:02 PM
I really thought he was going to re-sign, why did Chicago not offer a contract? He prolly would've re-signed for the vet min of $2m/yr.

Nonetheless, good signing for Rockets considering injuries always seem to follow them, they kind of really need depth.

BobSagetSucks
07-17-2010, 05:05 PM
rockets are gonna get yao back, i think houston will make the playoffs next year

Storch
07-17-2010, 05:07 PM
This is a very good signing. The Rockets are the sleeper team that everyone is not seeing in the radar.

They have a good problem in having martin, ariza, and battier though. They should somehow find a trade that would incorporate two of those players to receive some kind of a all-star in return.

wileyisTOFU
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Little overpaid, but we desperately need a back up C. Rockets will be contending for a top 4 playoff spot IMO.

Jahari Kavi
07-17-2010, 05:35 PM
it's a decent signing.......we still will be an 8 seed/lottery team, but it's a decent signing

Verbal Christ
07-17-2010, 06:42 PM
cant have enough toughness on your team, match made in heaven.

Wade_County
07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Why? Because they have two players from when Adelman was there?

lol, calm down, just playing around.