PDA

View Full Version : Harvard PG Jeremy Lin in discussions with the Lakers *UPDATED first post

lakers4sho
07-17-2010, 01:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5387547

Suddenly, the player deemed too flawed in most major areas to survive in the NBA is in contract discussions with three teams, according to league sources. The Los Angeles Lakers are believed to be one, with an Eastern Conference team the other.

Jeremy Lin vs. John Wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkXmMcGfLo
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5392883

Updated: July 19, 2010, 6:52 PM ET
Harvard guard Lin piques L.A.'s interest

By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive

A new name has emerged as a candidate to fill a spot on the Los Angeles Lakers' bench as a backup to starting guards Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant.

Jeremy Lin, an undrafted 6-3, 200-pound combo guard from Harvard, is being considered by the Lakers after the team opened contract discussions with Roger Montgomery, Lin's agent, over the weekend.

"We're just trying to sort out the best roster fit, the best situation for Jeremy, but we're highly considering the Lakers," Montgomery said in a phone interview Monday.

Montgomery said the Lakers aren't the only team vying for Lin, with the Mavericks and an unnamed Eastern Conference team also in the mix. Added Montgomery: "As of late there are a few more players involved as well."

Lin averaged 9.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals while shooting 54.5 percent from the floor and 66.7 percent on three-pointers in five games while playing for the Dallas Mavericks summer league team in Las Vegas.

The 21-year-old guard should be landing on an NBA roster -- the Lakers' or another team's -- sooner than later.

"I think the end game is imminent," Montgomery said. "We're having some internal discussions [with the Lakers] that look positive. There's mutual interest and end game is certainly imminent. The Lakers are definitely in the mix."

The California native (Lin won a state championship at Palo Alto High School) turned heads last week in a summer league matchup against the Washington Wizards and No. 1 pick John Wall. Lin scored 13 points to Wall's 21, but did so on 6-for-12 shooting in just 28 minutes. Wall was 4-for-19 in 33 minutes. Lin averaged 16.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.1 blocks in his senior year at Harvard, earning a unanimous spot on the All-Ivy League first team.

As rare as it is for an undrafted player to make the NBA, it is even more rare for an American-born player of Asian descent to make the league. Lin, whose family is Taiwanese, would follow the likes of Rex Walters (whose mother is Japanese) and Wataru "Wat" Misaka (whose family was Japanese). Walters played in the NBA from 1993 to 2000 and is currently the head coach at the University of San Francisco. Misaka became the first Asian-American professional basketball player in 1947.

Lakeshow86
07-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Who? probably just some camp body that will be out of the NBA in notime

timebandit
07-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Damm nice was he even drafted?

COBY KARL
07-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Did you even watch the video?

Switch
07-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I gotta admit, that kid has some talent.

timebandit
07-17-2010, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5387547

Jeremy Lin vs. John Wall

Wait put this kid under Kobe's wing man that swagger could be very nice fit in LA!! And lots of Yao Mings followers will be leavers lol!!:p

lakers4sho
07-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Do it Mitch!! :p

LA_Raiders
07-17-2010, 01:52 PM
another sun y.?

Avenged
07-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Was that Joel Meyers?

enserio
07-17-2010, 02:09 PM
He looks good, I just hate making judgements based on summer league performances.

show34
07-17-2010, 02:09 PM
man wutever why not tmac kobe cant just be the only scorer on the team forever damn LA dont get it yet everybody getting stronger then we are just staying basically the same.when we dont win the title this yr it will be because of arrogance

Chacarron
07-17-2010, 02:12 PM
He wouldn't hurt. League min for rookies is like what 500K?

lakers4sho
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Was that Joel Meyers?

Yup, he calls summer league games for NBA TV.

Frezhnitz
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Hes my cousin.

KillaInstinct24
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
i dont think we'll sign him even tho he looks great on the video

lakersincebirth
07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Sun Yue?

nanablvd
07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
man wutever why not tmac kobe cant just be the only scorer on the team forever damn LA dont get it yet everybody getting stronger then we are just staying basically the same.when we dont win the title this yr it will be because of arrogance

It is you who still don't get it.

Rocco007
07-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Sun Yue?

Has been looking good as well for Milwaukee's Summer League team...

Lin is more aggressive though and has a more confident game...

Probably will make a roster....Lakers?

Something has to give...

There's a reason Brown hasn't been re-signed yet...

JabberJaw
07-17-2010, 03:11 PM
He looks good, but it is only one game. If he can play consistantly like that he will be a good player in the NBA. Can't make a judgment of one game though. Remember that Adam Morrison was a beast in the entire summer league last year, and not just one game. That being said, he looks solid. I'd love to see him in our camp to get a shot to compete against our guys.

Storch
07-17-2010, 03:25 PM
We dont need him, we have blake. We need a taller player somewhere around 6'6 - 6'9 to play a SG/SF role like Ariza did to relieve kobe and Artest. We also need a DJ Mbenga type player that can play when theres injuries (actually DJ should be fine so we dont have trouble there, im sure we can sign him easily).

New Power House
07-17-2010, 03:41 PM
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVzGm8SbOM&feature=related

He has my vote! He looks better than Brown and Farmar together. This guy place with intensity and he has court vision. He plays defense too! Better than all the pgs that I saw in the lakers summer league.

Hellcrooner
07-17-2010, 03:48 PM
harvard=?

man dont loe your time being a scrub in a Nba sure you can end get your superdegree and become a billionare being a doctor or lawyer oe wathever.

shep33
07-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Looks good but we really don't need him... we got our pg situation handled. Need a sg/sf, and a vet big.

Didn't we just sign Fish and Blake? Sasha can also play some point if we needed him to.

Practice player i guess.

Penetra8r
07-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool vid... Kid has skills

JAyster_21
07-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Sun Yue....nuff said...LMAO

dru5151
07-17-2010, 04:55 PM
I actually watched that game. Lin looked good, especially since he was going up against John wall.

We have to remember it WAS a summer league game.

That being said, I hope he gets an invite to preseason. Maybe he can turn some heads there.

Storch
07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I actually watched that game. Lin looked good, especially since he was going up against John wall.

We have to remember it WAS a summer league game.

That being said, I hope he gets an invite to preseason. Maybe he can turn some heads there.

I bet PJ would say wtf to the FO. He has no need for him, Sasha can play his role with ease and a 3 point shot. We need a SF/SG player. We're set for everything else. Just sign DJ to play his role of warming up the seats again.

PGLakers
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I bet PJ would say wtf to the FO. He has no need for him, Sasha can play his role with ease and a 3 point shot. We need a SF/SG player. We're set for everything else. Just sign DJ to play his role of warming up the seats again.

its not even that though...we do need to fill up our roster. question is whether lin or brown...yeah brown knows our offense n defense and etc...but does FO want to spend million a year more on brown.

they are probably looking at this guy in case nobody else works out for lakers since we dont exactly have much of money to offer. in the end, could be just financial decision as well.

Statik1
07-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Just another body....

evadatam5150
07-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Damm nice was he even drafted?

Nope he wasn't.. At least that's what Meyer's said.. And as far as comparisons go he actually looks like he has more game than Sun.. The Lakers should never have taken a chance on him, it was exceedingly obvious he didn't have the goods.. This kid looks to have a whole different thing going for him.. He seems to see the floor better.. Hard to say what his real worth is from one video though..

KillaInstinct24
07-17-2010, 06:31 PM
He looks good, but it is only one game. If he can play consistantly like that he will be a good player in the NBA. Can't make a judgment of one game though. Remember that Adam Morrison was a beast in the entire summer league last year, and not just one game. That being said, he looks solid. I'd love to see him in our camp to get a shot to compete against our guys.

i guess what makes this a tad different is that he's doing it against John Wall and playing defense on him as well. John Wall is a legit NBA player.

plpfctn
07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
he's ok and he's doing ok in summer league, but the regular season is a different beast. i'm one of his doubters. but we could get him real cheap. like 400K a year. i think kupchak is looking at him for the future. forget the future, its aobut now while we can still win championships. but i'll go with whatever mitch wants b/c he's a damn good GM.

The Raven
07-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I wouldnt mind the sign since im sure it'd be for real cheap anyway

Mr. NBA
07-18-2010, 05:35 PM
this kid is jason kidd like.... his skill sets are amazing. Sun Yue isn't even close to this kids skill level.

i'm sold on jeremy lin. I know this is only summer league, but his swagger. THAT SWAGGER

has more swagger than jordan farmar, for sure.

he may be the best asian basketball PG ever.

i mean yeah, Harvard is natural, but he has a VERY HIGH Basketball IQ.

a very HIGH basketball IQ point guard wow.

i think with Kobe, and Gasol and Lin our IQ can be well over in the ...

i think Kobe and Lin would make a mighty fine SAT score.

with that IQ he could probably perfect the triangle.

Harvard + triangle offense = efficiency.

the nba is going to be great for Jeremy Lin, as you can see from this days at harvard the spacing in the NBA is much wider. thus jeremy can roam around in more space.

It's going to be good for this young phenom.

KillaInstinct24
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
why are we so racist we gotta compare asian players to other asian players. sun yue wasnt even a pg. next thing we gonna compare him to yao ming?

New Power House
07-18-2010, 06:36 PM
he's ok and he's doing ok in summer league, but the regular season is a different beast. i'm one of his doubters. but we could get him real cheap. like 400K a year. i think kupchak is looking at him for the future. forget the future, its aobut now while we can still win championships. but i'll go with whatever mitch wants b/c he's a damn good GM.

It is just a rumor!:yawn: I need to see some real actions! Cupcake do something! I am bore!:D:D

USMCLaker
07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
why are we so racist we gotta compare asian players to other asian players. sun yue wasnt even a pg. next thing we gonna compare him to yao ming?

You took the words right out of my mouth. It seems pretty short sighted to quickly make that jump based off of nothing other than one's ethnic orientation.

DolFAN2010
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Looks good to me. I say mitch should make the move

robdizzle3
07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I dont see why not. He can get into the seams, shoot the jumper and pass the ball. He can create for others. I wouldnt mind him being on our roster. Sure we have more pressing needs, but I would give him a look.

PGLakers
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
so last three spots to Lin, Carracter, Ebanks/Barnes?

Rocco007
07-18-2010, 09:09 PM

I'm guilty for responding to that post...:o

Furthermore LIN is American, from Palo Alto, CA...

Saw him play again tonight...

and his game is more of a Poor Man's version of JKidd...

with upside as someone else mentioned...

I think the Lakers should lock this kid up...

I would hate to have only 1 skilled PG(Blake) on the Roster...

Avenged
07-18-2010, 09:36 PM
If he's good he'll make it, if he's not he won't.

He probably will only be seeing garbage time minutes anyways.

AsiandudePH
07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm no scout, nor am I a gm--not even on Fantasy NBA--but yeah, I could somehow see the "IT" factor this kid has.

He wasn't just displaying his "swagger" on that one game against Washington also against other teams. I hope Mitch sees the kid's potential. Even if he's gonna be down on D-League as long as he's locked up with the Lakers it's all good to me.

A potential/developmental 3rd point guard.

USMCLaker
07-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm guilty for responding to that post...:o

Furthermore LIN is American, from Palo Alto, CA...

Saw him play again tonight...

and his game is more of a Poor Man's version of JKidd...

with upside as someone else mentioned...

I think the Lakers should lock this kid up...

I would hate to have only 1 skilled PG(Blake) on the Roster...

It takes a big man it admit his mistake's.

Playa4life
07-19-2010, 10:44 AM
we should sign him for rookie minimum, he might turn out to be a very good PG kid has potential!

Mave1002
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
i dont think we'll sign him even tho he looks great on the video

Why not?

In the event that we cant sign Shannon Brown, Lin can be a decent back-up PG behind Steve Blake (or even Sasha)

We get to land Kurt Thomas and I think were set

One Vet Big, and Three high octane rooks. Great balance.

AB17
Pau
RonRon
Kobe
Fish

K.Thomas
LO
Luke
Sasha
Blake

Caracter
Ebanks
Lin

Mave1002
07-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Do you know how tough it is to play 2nd string behind kobe?

Ammo sadly played 4th string behind Shannon Brown and Sasha Vujacic

If we dont get brown back, Sasha will play behind Kobe.

Fish will probably be given less playing time.

Maybe we could use this kid just in case something goes wrong.

New Power House
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Fresh news on this kid!
sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5392883
I hope he has a chance to showcase his game.

lakers4sho
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Seems like the Lakers are really serious about the kid.

They also are starting the process of developing young guns (Caracter + Ebanks + Lin).

Purple&Gold24
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Yeah just saw it on espnla.com would be a good addition...I agree with you lakers4sho Caracter, Ebanks and Lin have great potential but I havent heard anything about Caracter and Ebanks since summer league.

Rocco007
07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Harvard Guard Lin Piques L.A.’s Interest
By Dimitri - Monday, July 19, 2010 - 16:04

A new name has emerged as a candidate to fill a spot on the Los Angeles Lakers’ bench as a backup to starting guards Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant.

Jeremy Lin, an undrafted 6-3, 200-pound combo guard from Harvard, is being considered by the Lakers after the team opened contract discussions with Roger Montgomery, Lin’s agent, over the weekend.

“We’re just trying to sort out the best roster fit, the best situation for Jeremy, but we’re highly considering the Lakers,” Montgomery said in a phone interview Monday.

KobeOwnSU
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM
I like all three Lin, Ebanks and Character. They can fill out the roster the next year or two and at the same time we can build for the future or use them as chips to trade in the future.

Margie
07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Lakers are not going to trade young players with upside. They need to get young, you got to be very lucky in the draft when you pick late as the lakers.

borat
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
The Great Yellow Hype?

lake100
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I say give him a shot to make the team.......:cool:

lalalakerz09
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I though Dallas has first crack at him and was also interested in inviting him to camp. Does anyone know we are having camp this year???? Hawaii??? Vegas???

Burleson81
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5392883

Updated: July 19, 2010, 6:52 PM ET
Harvard guard Lin piques L.A.'s interest

By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive

A new name has emerged as a candidate to fill a spot on the Los Angeles Lakers' bench as a backup to starting guards Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant.

Jeremy Lin, an undrafted 6-3, 200-pound combo guard from Harvard, is being considered by the Lakers after the team opened contract discussions with Roger Montgomery, Lin's agent, over the weekend.

"We're just trying to sort out the best roster fit, the best situation for Jeremy, but we're highly considering the Lakers," Montgomery said in a phone interview Monday.

Montgomery said the Lakers aren't the only team vying for Lin, with the Mavericks and an unnamed Eastern Conference team also in the mix. Added Montgomery: "As of late there are a few more players involved as well."

Lin averaged 9.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals while shooting 54.5 percent from the floor and 66.7 percent on three-pointers in five games while playing for the Dallas Mavericks summer league team in Las Vegas.

The 21-year-old guard should be landing on an NBA roster -- the Lakers' or another team's -- sooner than later.

"I think the end game is imminent," Montgomery said. "We're having some internal discussions [with the Lakers] that look positive. There's mutual interest and end game is certainly imminent. The Lakers are definitely in the mix."

The California native (Lin won a state championship at Palo Alto High School) turned heads last week in a summer league matchup against the Washington Wizards and No. 1 pick John Wall. Lin scored 13 points to Wall's 21, but did so on 6-for-12 shooting in just 28 minutes. Wall was 4-for-19 in 33 minutes. Lin averaged 16.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.1 blocks in his senior year at Harvard, earning a unanimous spot on the All-Ivy League first team.

As rare as it is for an undrafted player to make the NBA, it is even more rare for an American-born player of Asian descent to make the league. Lin, whose family is Taiwanese, would follow the likes of Rex Walters (whose mother is Japanese) and Wataru "Wat" Misaka (whose family was Japanese). Walters played in the NBA from 1993 to 2000 and is currently the head coach at the University of San Francisco. Misaka became the first Asian-American professional basketball player in 1947.

lakers4sho
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Mitch do something....

PGLakers
07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
sucks how FA's are slipping from us right now...don't Heat have more players than us right now?!

New Power House
07-19-2010, 11:38 PM

I put it out there before you posted it. Please check.

Raidaz4Life
07-19-2010, 11:47 PM
His shooting numbers are great.

static_inferno
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
sucks how FA's are slipping from us right now...don't Heat have more players than us right now?!
The good FA's are getting more money elsewhere. I believe the Lakers and Heat have the same amount of players officially signed, but the Lakers still have better talent in that department.

This Lin guy looks great. I'm wondering if the Lakers are looking to add him to the training camp practice squad or an actual contract. He looks like he can be a great change-of-pace guy over Fish and Blake like Farmar and Shannon, but with actual skill, playmaking ability, driving ability, and higher IQ. I think the Lakers are looking at him as a cheap option and will let Shannon walk. So signing Lin, Ebanks, and Caracter to cheap rookie contracts while getting another veteran big will be enough for this summer.

Burleson81
07-20-2010, 12:06 AM
I put it out there before you posted it. Please check.

Let me quote a few Laker posters by say "Don't get your panties in a bunch." "Chill." :cool: The mod's moved my post from one thread to another.

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 01:30 AM
do it now Mitch...persuade this kid and his agent Montgomery. Tell him he'll start~!! do something..

he is definitely a diamond in the rough. He may be the rookie of the year. It's a longshot but it's possible.

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 01:33 AM
honestly the Jeremy Lin has so much more to learn about the NBA level of ball. He's not under any influence from a star PG.

If he goes to Dallas he'll be under the influence of J-Kidd which is good because they resemble each other.

So if he comes to the Lakers I don't think he could showcase his talent more than he could on the Mavericks.

But if there is one thing Lin can learn is that under a coach like Phil Jackson, Derek Fisher, and Kobe he can learn to win. and WIN EARLY. he can showcase his talents in the later years of his career.

also another thing is....Phil Jackson won't be around much longer. Jeremy's chance at learning under the GOAT coach is dwindling down. I think this maybe PJ's last year of coaching.

Jeremy Lin get as much knowledge and wisdom from PJ as you can. SIGN WITH THE LAKE SHOW~~!!!

If you know like i know the Lakers organization, we treat players well.

One of the things Jeremy Lin said about why he'd like to stay with the Mavs is that Donnie Nelson GM of the Mavs took care of him even when everyone else was not even taking a look at him.

Donnie Nelson guided this kid to a spot in summer league.

Knowing Kobe, D-Fish, Blake, and PJ there couldn't be better quality people to influence this fine young man out of harvard.

I still think the Mavs have a better shot at obtaining this kid, but Jeremy knows winning. Winning starts with the Lakers.

PGLakers
07-20-2010, 01:45 AM
honestly the Jeremy Lin has so much more to learn about the NBA level of ball. He's not under any influence from a star PG.

If he goes to Dallas he'll be under the influence of J-Kidd which is good because they resemble each other.

So if he comes to the Lakers I don't think he could showcase his talent more than he could on the Mavericks.

But if there is one thing Lin can learn is that under a coach like Phil Jackson, Derek Fisher, and Kobe he can learn to win. and WIN EARLY. he can showcase his talents in the later years of his career.

also another thing is....Phil Jackson won't be around much longer. Jeremy's chance at learning under the GOAT coach is dwindling down. I think this maybe PJ's last year of coaching.

Jeremy Lin get as much knowledge and wisdom from PJ as you can. SIGN WITH THE LAKE SHOW~~!!!

If you know like i know the Lakers organization, we treat players well.

One of the things Jeremy Lin said about why he'd like to stay with the Mavs is that Donnie Nelson GM of the Mavs took care of him even when everyone else was not even taking a look at him.

Donnie Nelson guided this kid to a spot in summer league.

Knowing Kobe, D-Fish, Blake, and PJ there couldn't be better quality people to influence this fine young man out of harvard.

I still think the Mavs have a better shot at obtaining this kid, but Jeremy knows winning. Winning starts with the Lakers.

That and being in Los Angeles in Hollywood are the reasons why I think he might choose to come here. I mean who doesn't want to play for PJ. He can come here knowing that he can be our future PG if he plays well given that Fisher is going to probably retire in after 3 years. I think it would be good to have future talents on our bench [of course this kid hasnt proved anything yet, but i m sure he can do better than our bench warmers of last season].

borat
07-20-2010, 01:49 AM
dude, i will be the one to say it.

This guy is getting way too much hype. Why you ask? because he is asian.

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 01:51 AM
dude, i will be the one to say it.

This guy is getting way too much hype. Why you ask? because he is asian.

it's actually because he torched the number 1 pick in john wall.

if another black dude torched john wall. we'd be talking about him too.

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 01:58 AM
jeremy lin has won many numerous awards and hasn't received a single scholarship.

this dude dropped 30 on UCONN.

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 02:00 AM
High school
In 2006, Lin captained Palo Alto High School to the CIF Division II state title[2], where according to Dana O'Neil of ESPN, "... [b]y his senior season, Lin was the runaway choice for player of the year by virtually every California publication. Yet he didn't receive a single Division I scholarship offer."[3] He was named first-team All-State and Northern California Division II Player of the Year ending his senior year with impressive stats, 15.1 points, 7.1 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 5.0 steals.[2]

College career
In his sophomore season (2007–08), Lin averaged 12.6 points and was named All-Ivy League Second Team. By his junior year during the 2008–09 season, he was the only NCAA Division I men's basketball player who ranked in the top ten in his conference for scoring (17.8), rebounding (5.5), assists (4.3), steals (2.4), blocked shots (0.6), field goal percentage (0.502), free throw percentage (0.744), and 3 point shot percentage (0.400),[3] and was a consensus selection for All-Ivy League First Team.

In 2009-10 he averaged 16.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.1 blocks, and was again a unanimous selection for All-Ivy League First Team. He was also invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament[4].

In his Senior year, Jeremy Lin was a finalist for both the John R. Wooden award (for best DI player in the country), as well as the Bob Cousy award (for best DI point guard in the country).

Professional career
After graduating from Harvard University, Jeremy Lin was undrafted at the 2010 NBA Draft; however, he later on joined the Dallas Mavericks for mini-camp as well as their summer league team in Las Vegas.[5]

if this is what you call "hype" you're killing me.

borat
07-20-2010, 02:02 AM
:facepalm:

This is getting ridiculous.

borat
07-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Of course it is hype. He played in the ivy league bro. :facepalm:

borat
07-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Why you keep saying he torched John Wall. He had maybe 3 plays in a highlight real.

Get real, and it wasn't wall being torched.

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Of course it is hype. He played in the ivy league bro. :facepalm:

we'll see as far as Lin signing with someone, it will happen. whether it be dallas or LA he's going somewhere.

borat
07-20-2010, 02:08 AM
we'll see as far as Lin signing with someone, it will happen. whether it be dallas or LA he's going somewhere.

Yes he may be in a training camp. Maybe he will make the roster of a team if he is lucky.

But the way you are talking is that this is some real impact move if this guy gets signed.

Where are the threads for teh other scrubs we may bring into training camp? :eyebrow:

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Yes he may be in a training camp. Maybe he will make the roster of a team if he is lucky.

But the way you are talking is that this is some real impact move if this guy gets signed.

Where are the threads for teh other scrubs we may bring into training camp? :eyebrow:

borat read my other posts. i think the way you're thinking of me of him as hype is out of line.

you know this kid isn't going to get playing time with the Lakers....so of course impact is out of the line.

but i'm talkin future buddy.

KillaInstinct24
07-20-2010, 02:12 AM
wow so we might have 3 pgs, crazy. id rather sign ebanks and caracter if we had to pick 2 of 3.

nguyenay
07-20-2010, 02:45 AM

thats what i was thinking...

anyway, i like Lin enough to say try out camp. you have to admit he looks better than some of our past players

bolts4ever
07-20-2010, 03:34 AM
This kid reminds me of a less athletic but smarter version of Farmar he understrands how to distribute but can get his own shoot too!! A balance that farmar never could Find.

not sure how much he could contribute at the PG spot with Fish and Blake in the fold and hes a little short for the SG position.

Anilyzer
07-20-2010, 04:12 AM

uhhhhh, really? Sasha's whole problem is that he's a shooter who for some reason can't shoot anymore. Ever since the playoff collapse a couple years ago, he's VERY inconsistent and low percentage. The Lakers are the NBA champs and the top of the league... how long can they be expected to run with a shooting guard who literally can't shoot? No matter how much "effort" he puts in out there, or how much he dives for loose balls... how can we have a 2nd string SG who can't shoot?

The other way of saying this would be to say that replacing him with a promising rookie FA like this Lin kid would be a good possibility. I'm sure if Sasha wasn't locked in for $4M and they could add Lin for the minimum they'd do it in a heartbeat.

I mean, if he outplayed John Wall, a supposed sure-fire hall of famer, that tells you something. Also, since he was Ivey League, and is asian, that explains how he was overlooked. But he has an NBA type body (unlike Sun Yue) and has three teams looking to sign him based on Summer League play...
that's a player, no doubt. Got my vote.

MissinShowtime
07-20-2010, 05:05 AM
This kid is gonna be one of those undrafted steals that we always seem to miss out on. SI did a small piece on him in one of their Feb issues. He was overlooked mostly because of the level of competition in the Ivy League. Maybe he chose to get a helluva education, not thinking he would ever have a shot at the NBA. 4 years later, he leads an institution to arguably its best season ever. He has some potential. I hope we can sign him.

swinjas
07-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Hes my cousin.

then talk with him, tell him that he has to play for LA ?:)

DownUnder
07-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Like Ebanks and Caracter, I think with our core and the addition of a couple of Bigs, we can well afford to add this prospect to the squad too. Like the other two he'll learn from the core group and hopefully develop into a good player (read 'steal')

And KillaInstinct24, Sun Yue was recruited as a PG and played for the Chinese National Team as the starting PG on occasion. He was an oversized PG with a weak low release jumper with poor range.

Burleson81
07-20-2010, 08:38 AM
If I was Lin, I'd sign with the team that gave you an opportunity. :hide:

If financial offers and plans for Lin's development are relatively equal, he seems to have an affinity for the Mavs and Nelson, who was the first NBA executive to latch onto him in April at the Portsmouth Invitational, and the only one to offer Lin a summer league roster spot.

"He said he loved my game and the way I played and my basketball IQ, but then he said, 'I think you're about one year away from the NBA, so I want you to come play for my D-League team,' " Lin said. "That's how it started. He didn't draft me because he still thought I needed a year to develop, but he wanted me to come play for them, get comfortable with the city, get comfortable with the organization."

xbrackattackx
07-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't remember sun yue being this nasty.

John408
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't remember sun yue being this nasty.

Sun Yue was a tweener. Jeremy Lin will run all over that guy making himself look like Jordan...Michael that is. lol.

But ya, I like Lin a lot. His from my area and I've played against him a couple times in summer league games in the bay area a few years back. He ran over other college guys and another current nba player from the area, but I won't mention any names.

If given the chance on an nba roster, I'm sure he'll be solid and/or pull through.

lakers4sho
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
If I was Lin, I'd sign with the team that gave you an opportunity. :hide:

If I was Lin, I'd sign with the Lakers :cool:

gr824
07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
uhhhhh, really? Sasha's whole problem is that he's a shooter who for some reason can't shoot anymore. Ever since the playoff collapse a couple years ago, he's VERY inconsistent and low percentage. The Lakers are the NBA champs and the top of the league... how long can they be expected to run with a shooting guard who literally can't shoot? No matter how much "effort" he puts in out there, or how much he dives for loose balls... how can we have a 2nd string SG who can't shoot?

The other way of saying this would be to say that replacing him with a promising rookie FA like this Lin kid would be a good possibility. I'm sure if Sasha wasn't locked in for $4M and they could add Lin for the minimum they'd do it in a heartbeat.

I mean, if he outplayed John Wall, a supposed sure-fire hall of famer, that tells you something. Also, since he was Ivey League, and is asian, that explains how he was overlooked. But he has an NBA type body (unlike Sun Yue) and has three teams looking to sign him based on Summer League play...
that's a player, no doubt. Got my vote.

I must say you make some solid points, although you may be a little 'off' in terms of Laker strategy and the way the FO may be viewing their roster building:

The Lakers currently are 'down a guard' [ or maybe even two ], meaning they are carrying only four at the moment. "Replacing" Vujacic with Lin [ if such a move were even possible this year ] is probably not their goal, but rather they are looking at Lin as a possible roster substitute for Brown should resigning Shannon not work out. Apparently, Lin can play an 'athletic' combo guard role well, even though he is tad shorter than Brown and Jeremy's athleticism is not of the 'leaping' variety ala Brown, but is based around quickness and solid handles coupled with a slasher's fearlessness at attacking the hole ...

Signing Lin would give the Lakers five guards, in essence all of whom are 'interchangeable' to a degree within the triangle offense; in other words, all five could see court time at either the 1 or the 2, depending on matchups, and the team would likely not miss a beat. I am not meaning to imply here that we will see a lot of Kobe at the point or Fisher/Blake at the 2, only that those options would be available to the coaching staff if the Lakers were to add Lin to the backcourt. The guard ledger would be deep and very versatile ...

Vujacic's shooting woes are real, though they may be a bit overplayed, certainly when viewed in the context 'of him' and likely when compared to some others as well. In 2009-2010, Sasha shot poorly on his 3s [ 30.9% ], but his overall FG%, though low by most objective standards, actually exceeded his lifetime NBA mark [ 40.2% to 39.3% ] and was the second highest value of his career. Also, for his career, Vujacic is still a 37.1% 3-point shooter, which makes him far better than Jerry Stackhouse, a bit better than Rasual Butler, and within a percentage point of being the equal of Roger Mason, three perimeter players that legions of PSD posters are advocating that the Lakers sign as FAs almost solely for their reputations as dependable 3-point shooting specialists. The lion's share of the criticism directed at Vujacic may be little more than a case of familiarity breeding contempt ...

And, perhaps, the paycheck Vujacic collects breeds some contempt, too. You underestimated Sasha's payroll 'drain' for the coming season as he is set to 'earn' nearly $5.5 million, not the $4 mil you posited. I hope he truly does earn it by recapturing his 40%+ touch from behind the arc. But, even if he can only shoot back up to his historical average, he can be an adequate sub for Bryant at SG for 12-15 MPG. If all goes well, that is what the Lakers will need from him; I do not see Vujacic as an immediate problem area in terms of Laker personnel ...

kblo247
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
By Dave McMenamin
12:41

Jeremy Lin, who played for Harvard, is expected to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers. He played for the Dallas Mavericks summer league team and could also decide to play in Texas. Lin won the state high school basketball title in California.

The 6-3 guard could be signing with the Los Angeles Lakers in the next few days.

The kid can play and he has more upside and less baggage than Critter so :clap:

LA_Raiders
07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
We need to sing our rooks...

lakers4sho
07-20-2010, 02:13 PM

:dance:

3peat guaranteed :up:

Hopefully he performs really well so he doesn't get cut after camp and preseason...

Raidaz4Life
07-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Fantastic news

kblo247
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Fantastic news

If it goes through LA could have 3 young and talented guys on their hands making less than Shannon did last year :)

I don't expect them to grow into starters or all stars, but if they can become role players Bynum would have some support that grew around him when he is given the reigns (knees willing) unlike when Kobe got handed the keys.

blue bleeder09
07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
this kid is jason kidd like.... his skill sets are amazing. Sun Yue isn't even close to this kids skill level.

i'm sold on jeremy lin. I know this is only summer league, but his swagger. THAT SWAGGER

has more swagger than jordan farmar, for sure.

he may be the best asian basketball PG ever.

i mean yeah, Harvard is natural, but he has a VERY HIGH Basketball IQ.

a very HIGH basketball IQ point guard wow.

i think with Kobe, and Gasol and Lin our IQ can be well over in the ...

i think Kobe and Lin would make a mighty fine SAT score.

with that IQ he could probably perfect the triangle.

Harvard + triangle offense = efficiency.

the nba is going to be great for Jeremy Lin, as you can see from this days at harvard the spacing in the NBA is much wider. thus jeremy can roam around in more space.

It's going to be good for this young phenom.

swagger:facepalm:STOP

Raidaz4Life
07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
If it goes through LA could have 3 young and talented guys on their hands making less than Shannon did last year :)

It's not a bad idea to start looking towards the future. Hopefully they turn into solid young pieces that we can build around with Bynum.

kblo247
07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
It's not a bad idea to start looking towards the future. Hopefully they turn into solid young pieces that we can build around with Bynum.

I edited my post to say the same thing before you quoted me :laugh2:

Raidaz4Life
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
I edited my post to say the same thing before you quoted me :laugh2:

why do you hate me? I know you did it to make my post look redundant.

kblo247
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
why do you hate me? I know you did it to make my post look redundant.

My bad :cheers:

truplayer199
07-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Where exactly in that article does it say Lin is expected to sign with the Lakers?

ShadowX
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Jeremy Lin is about to pull off a rare double. A Harvard education followed by becoming a running mate for Kobe Bryant.

The 6-3 guard could be signing with the Los Angeles Lakers in the next few days.

Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Lin, who was undrafted, could be backing up Bryant and Derek Fisher.

"We're just trying to sort out the best roster fit, the best situation for Jeremy, but we're highly considering the Lakers," agent Roger Montgomery told McMenamin.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/07/harvard-jeremy-lin-kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers/1

Its looking good so far! The video really shows this guy has lots of potential. He is playing against college players, but I have a feeling he will be a good backup in the NBA. He has good court vision and dribbling/passing skills. He might not be a starter, but can be a great practice player like Farmar.

Here is another nice video of Lin vs John Wall in the summer league games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVEiYap1F4

xmoney328
07-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I just YouTube this guy he can ball! How the hell he went undrafted? I can see him in a laker uniform..crowd favorite.

Raidaz4Life
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Where exactly in that article does it say Lin is expected to sign with the Lakers?

Jeremy Lin, who played for Harvard, is expected to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers. He played for the Dallas Mavericks summer league team and could also decide to play in Texas. Lin won the state high school basketball title in California.

^

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
The article did say that the offers that he has received have been comparable in terms of development and money therefore, with all things being equal my guess is that he is deciding between a local team or the team that gave him an opportunity to be in the conversation.

COOLbeans
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
another sun y.?

that's a ridiculous misstatement and a bit of a reach, at best. Lin is a baller and the Lakers should be happy to take him. If you guys don't want him the Warriors will be happy to swoop him up. I think he'll be more effective than Brown and Farmar..

ShadowX
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
I think he will fit into the triangle offense very well. If you look at the videos carefully, you can see he is a good communicator. He points at areas where defenders need to help and you can see in several plays that he tells another player to move further away to get better spacing. I love the way he moves without the ball like the way Ray Allen does. He runs through several screens on a couple of plays to lose the defender. I think he is perfect for the Lakers for several reasons:

1) Relatively Inexpensive
2) Moves well without the ball
3) Relatively fast (compared to fisher)
4) Very good basketball IQ
5) Confident player
6) California native (from Palo Alto)
7) Crowd favorite (especially among the Asian American groups in California)

The main problem I think he will have with the Lakers is his playing time. Behind Fisher and Steve Blake, he will have less court time. On the other hand, he will definitely get a lot of experience playing with these veteran players including Kobe. Kobe will push him hard and maybe he will become the main backup next year as Fisher gets closer to retirement.

Given the choices (if all the offers are almost the same), I would pick LA if I am Jeremy. LA has nice weather and a huge Asian population. I think he has a better chance of getting a ring here in LA than any other teams. The Miami Heat is another option, but I think he will have a better learning experience in LA. The Miami roster is not solidified and the players do not have any experience playing with each other yet.

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I think he will fit into the triangle offense very well. If you look at the videos carefully, you can see he is a good communicator. He points at areas where defenders need to help and you can see in several plays that he tells another player to move further away to get better spacing. I love the way he moves without the ball like the way Ray Allen does. He runs through several screens on a couple of plays to lose the defender. I think he is perfect for the Lakers for several reasons:

1) Cheap
2) Moves well without the ball
3) Relatively fast (compared to fisher)
4) Very good basketball IQ
5) Confident player
6) California native (from Palo Alto)
7) Crowd favorite (especially among the Asian American groups in California)
8) Cheap

Sounds good.

Playa4life
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Who is this Kid???? I will take Ibrahim Jabber Kid over him!!!!!

New Power House
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM

I am sure you do not watched the SL. Jabber is a very bad pg.He has no court vision. He shoots kind of decent,but he does not defend at all. On the other hand, The Asian guy is a player. He is definitely better in each category than any pg that play for us in the summer. I hope the Lakers get him and opportunity to show his game and continue his development with the champs. :D

truplayer199
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
^

I don't see this exact quote in the article.

BigGuy951
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I want him! *throws rant*

gr824
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM

I am sure you do not watched the SL. Jabber is a very bad pg.He has no court vision. He shoots kind of decent,but he does not defend at all. On the other hand, The Asian guy is a player. He is definitely better in each category than any pg that play for us in the summer. I hope the Lakers get him and opportunity to show his game and continue his development with the champs. :D

Jaaber is not the answer whereas Lin may be ... What the Lakers really need [ to fully replace Farmar and, probably, Brown ] is a quick, defensive-minded PG/combo guard who can guard small and speedy points like Brooks, Nelson, Parker, and Robinson AND drive 'n' dish to spot-up shooters AND shoot from distance himself, preferably from 3-point range ...

Unfortunately, Jaaber cannot shoot. In Summer League, he shot 27% from the field and less than 17% from 3-point territory. His defense was not spectacular, but it was not awful either [ just pedestrian ] and his assists-to-turnover ratio was actually fairly good [ 1.86/1 ] ...

On the other hand, Lin sparkled in several regards. He shot 54.5% from the field and hit 2/3 of his 3s. His defense, while not 'lockdown', certainly was 'spirited' and tenacious at times [ he appears to be 'quick enough' ]. Lin did turn the ball over [ 3.2 per game ] and he did not rack up many assists [ 9 in 5 contests ], but that could just be a function of playing with 14 guys he did not know ...

To me, Lin appears to be worthy of a camp invite and a long look from the Lakers; Jaaber ? I do not think so ...

Vinylman
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

this is non-news....

You guys really need to get a life if you think this guy will contribute anything...

robdizzle3
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I think Lin would be very solid and since he's from Harvard, he will be able to pick the offense up quickly, at least I would imagine. He gets into the second level, can dish and knock down the outside jumper. I like it, plus he's a big guard at 6'3 200 pounds.

evadatam5150
07-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Jeremy Lin vs. John Wall

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5392883

Montgomery Quote

Really..??!!??

When did the Lakers become the Timberwolves..?? When a 6'3" non-drafted asian kid from Palo Alto starts mulling over and THINKING about becoming a Laker you know something is terribly wrong.. Did he really say *considering*...?? :facepalm:

The Heat have absolutely thrown the Earth right off it's axis.. Everyone is just plain talking crazy now..

RollinDeep
07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Why not? Couldn't hurt to add him. Sometimes you can find undrafted gems, and it's a low risk high reward proposition.

ShadowX
07-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Montgomery Quote

Really..??!!??

When did the Lakers become the Timberwolves..?? When a 6'3" non-drafted asian kid from Palo Alto starts mulling over and THINKING about becoming a Laker you know something is terribly wrong.. Did he really say *considering*...?? :facepalm:

The Heat have absolutely thrown the Earth right off it's axis.. Everyone is just plain talking crazy now..

In case you didn't notice, it was a quote from his agent, not him directly. Its not like the agent is saying "we might go to the Lakers if they make an offer." They already have CONTRACT offers before the pre-season camp invites. The agent is saying they are considering the different offers and make a decision on which team's offer they will accept. He is just doing what every free agent would do in the same position -- consider the contract offers from several teams and make a decision.

He definitely has talent. Nobody is saying he will be an all-star player, but he has potential to be a good backup or even a starter one day. At the minimum, I think he will fill Farmar's old role. He has a very nice 3 point shot. In college, he even made a couple of 3 point shots at least 5-8 feet behind the college 3 point line. I don't mind having another person who can play point and be a 3 point threat to help open up the triangle.

He can also defend. If you watch some of the summer games, he put a hand right in John Wall's face and altered his shot. You can see John being affected by Jeremy's defense many times. In the other summer league games, he blocked one of the guy's shot from the 3 point line. I doubt you ever saw Farmar block anyone's shot before. He went through several picks instead of going under the pick like some of the old Laker bench players. He also made a vicious spin move that was almost the highlight move of the day if he wasn't called for an offensive foul.

When a 6'3" non-drafted asian kid from Palo Alto...

You must have a bias against asians, since you think the race matters. What matters if what you DO on the court. You know the guy impressed the crowd when they were cheering for him instead of John Wall. Most of the fans who showed up wanted to see John Wall play, and yet they were cheering for Jeremy every time he makes a move against John. You have to see the highlight video on the 4th quarter before you can make a judgment call.

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't understand what takes Cupchak so long to get this kid, it should be the easiest thing in the world for to sign a non-drafted kid to the World Champion Lakers.

This would be my pitch:

Mr. Lin you can sign with any team you want this year for an equatable amount of income or maybe even slightly more however, no other team can offer you the opportunity to showcase your talent like the World Champion Lakers. If you believe in your own abilities-Do you believe in your ability to excel at the NBA level Mr. Lin? Yes, fine than sign either a one year contract or two year contract with the Lakers show the world what you have to offer on the biggest stage in the NBA and when your contract ends than field offers from the league after everyone knows what you already know about yourself. Keep in mind that you would be replacing a former rookie who just received a 12 million dollar contract for 3 years for coming off our bench. Can the Mavs offer you that?

ShadowX
07-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't understand what takes Cupchak so long to get this kid, it should be the easiest thing in the world for to sign a non-drafted kid to the World Champion Lakers.

This would be my pitch:

Mr. Lin you can sign with any team you want this year for an equatable amount of income or maybe even slightly more however, no other team can offer you the opportunity to showcase your talent like the World Champion Lakers. If you believe in your own abilities-Do you believe in your ability to excel at the NBA level Mr. Lin? Yes, fine than sign either a one year contract or two year contract with the Lakers show the world what you have to offer on the biggest stage in the NBA and when your contract ends than field offers from the league after everyone knows what you already know about yourself. Keep in mind that you would be replacing a former rookie who just received a 12 million dollar contract for 3 years for coming off our bench. Can the Mavs offer you that?

Based on what his agent said, the decision is more influenced by how playing time he may get. I think Lakers have an advantage since the Mavs have more point guards than the Lakers. He will not get as much playing time on the Mavs compared to the Lakers. The only hitch is the offer from one of the Eastern teams. I don't know which team made an offer to him from the East. Regardless, I think he will ultimately sign for the Lakers since he can play with a chapionship-caliber team and stay within California near his parents. I think the fact that he can stay in California will be one of the biggest factor for him to choose the Lakers.

Storch
07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Why would the Lakers sign Lin if we have Blake? Makes no sense. Are we trading blake?

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Why would the Lakers sign Lin if we have Blake? Makes no sense. Are we trading blake?

IDK, maybe because they haven't signed Brown yet.

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Based on what his agent said, the decision is more influenced by how playing time he may get. I think Lakers have an advantage since the Mavs have more point guards than the Lakers. He will not get as much playing time on the Mavs compared to the Lakers. The only hitch is the offer from one of the Eastern teams. I don't know which team made an offer to him from the East. Regardless, I think he will ultimately sign for the Lakers since he can play with a chapionship-caliber team and stay within California near his parents. I think the fact that he can stay in California will be one of the biggest factor for him to choose the Lakers.

I thought the agent said development was the major factor which I took to mean playing time but also potential to improve his game.

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Hes my cousin.

Is he really or are you just joking?

He is from Palo Alto and you're from Wisconsin not that you can't still be cousins but if you are give us some insight, what's he like.

ShadowX
07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I think Lin would be very solid and since he's from Harvard, he will be able to pick the offense up quickly, at least I would imagine. He gets into the second level, can dish and knock down the outside jumper. I like it, plus he's a big guard at 6'3 200 pounds.

He also seems more consistent than many of the bench players we had in the past. I think if we get consistency from the bench, we will perform better next year. He also has very good leadership skills. Even though Lamar is the de-factor leader of the bench squad, I think the inconsistency of Lamar permeates to the other bench players. I hope Jeremy shows enough leadership and consistency to be a leader of the bench mob of next year. I like the fact he is the team captain of the Harvard team. It shows leadership skills and you can't teach that to someone who doesn't have that ability.

ShadowX
07-20-2010, 09:26 PM

Its not about trading Blake. I think Jeremy's strength is his flexibility in playing various roles. The unpredictable factors are injuries. You never know when a player may get injured and need a replacement; so having someone as a backup would help strengthen a weakness in the point guard position. We all know the point guard position was one of our major weakness, so having Blake as a potential starter to replace Fisher and Jeremy as his backup is a good insurance policy. We all know it takes years for most players to become effective (like Bynum), so the earlier we develop someone, the better it will be for the team in the long run.

limeytech
07-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Another one bites the dust?

Warriors closing in on signing of Mavs summer-league sensation Jeremy Lin. ESPN.com link forthcoming
link http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

[QUOTE]The Golden State Warriors are closing in on signing summer-league sensation Jeremy Lin, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Warriors, by offering to guarantee more than half of Lin's potential first-year salary of nearly $500,000, have reached an agreement in principle with the point guard from Harvard.

Lin is expected to receive a multiyear deal, sources said.

Lin's Bay Area roots and consistently strong performance with the Dallas Mavericks' squad in Las Vegas prompted the Warriors to chase Lin hard and ultimately outbid a handful of teams that have been pursuing him since summer-league play ended Sunday.

The Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers were among the first teams to try to sign the 6-foot-3 guard for next season, but agent Roger Montgomery told ESPNDallas.com on Monday that the publicity Lin attracted for outplaying prized Mavs youngster Roddy Beaubois -- while routinely flashing better-than-expected athleticism in the process -- generated a clutch of new offers.[QUOTE]
link http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5396732

lakers4sho
07-20-2010, 09:36 PM
There goes Lin :(

I guess he chose the "location" factor, he's from NorCal anyways.

Mitch what are you doing???

Mr. NBA
07-20-2010, 09:40 PM
There goes Lin :(

I guess he chose the "location" factor, he's from NorCal anyways.

Mitch what are you doing???

he's gonna regret it. location is his choice.

he's taking that over the best basketball environment and coach in the lakers.

wow. I thought he was from harvard. I guess even a Harvard grad

can't make that clear decision.

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 09:48 PM
he's gonna regret it. location is his choice.

he's taking that over the best basketball environment and coach in the lakers.

wow. I thought he was from harvard. I guess even a Harvard grad

can't make that clear decision.

Exactly, do we really want someone who can't make a clear cut decision.

mstrdrk
07-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Being of asian descent myself, I am somewhat disturbed that some have alluded to Jeremy Lin's asian heritage as some kind of handicap, as if his ability was somehow mitigated by being asian. I realize it's the summer league so we shouldn't ascribe too much significance to what he did, but by the same token if people here are excited about Caracter, and they should be, why shouldn't we be excited about this kid's POTENTIAL? I emphasize potential because that's all it is at the moment, but it's also why he will come cheap. I understand we need to be concerned about Bynum's and Kobe's surgery first and foremost, but we do need to round out the roster with people who can actually play minutes and not just be cheerleaders from the bench, and if they're gonna be cheerleaders, then they might as well be cheap ones since the Lakers are so far over the salary cap. From what I've seen, he has good court awareness and plays scrappy which is a trait some of our star players (Lamar *cough* *cough*) could use more of.

Well by the time I finished writing this, I saw the prior post....it's just too bad...I think Mitch is sleeping this summer...

USMCLaker
07-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Being of asian descent myself, I am somewhat disturbed that some have alluded to Jeremy Lin's asian heritage as some kind of handicap, as if his ability was somehow mitigated by being asian. I realize it's the summer league so we shouldn't ascribe too much significance to what he did, but by the same token if people here are excited about Caracter, and they should be, why shouldn't we be excited about this kid's POTENTIAL? I emphasize potential because that's all it is at the moment, but it's also why he will come cheap. I understand we need to be concerned about Bynum's and Kobe's surgery first and foremost, but we do need to round out the roster with people who can actually play minutes and not just be cheerleaders from the bench, and if they're gonna be cheerleaders, then they might as well be cheap ones since the Lakers are so far over the salary cap. From what I've seen, he has good court awareness and plays scrappy which is a trait some of our star players (Lamar *cough* *cough*) could use more of.

Sorry buddy, ignorance will always exist.

Vinylman
07-20-2010, 10:51 PM
another 9 page thread of mental masturbation... well done :clap:

LakerPro24
07-20-2010, 11:16 PM
He's good, but remember adam morrison a couple of years ago in the summer league.
[B][B]Lets just wait and see.[B][B]

kid24
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
the kid looks good lets see what happens.

R32
07-21-2010, 12:14 AM

who da *** R U!? :mad:

R32
07-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Montgomery Quote

Really..??!!??

Earth right off ITS axis! :D

borat
07-21-2010, 01:38 AM

Well by the time I finished writing this, I saw the prior post....it's just too bad...I think Mitch is sleeping this summer...

I personally dont think it is a handicap.

However, as evident in this thread the most of this hype grew because he is asian.

Lets be totally real here. The guy played in the ivy league first off. I am not doubting he has skills, or even is a good player. However he had one good game while he played John Wall. Not a dominating game either. One good game that caught peoples eyes. If you look at his summer league stats he averaged about 2 dimes per 20 minutes. Not exactly outstanding. Also if you watched any of the other games. I saw 2 other games. One against Denver particularly he was very slow laterally. Guy will get eaten up on the defensive end in the league.

So we have a 9 page thread on a guy that was an ok college player in the ivy league that had one good game where John Wall happened to be the other pg. We have fans disappointed that we didn't sign this guy. We have fans mad that mitch didn't lock it up and we have fans saying Lin made a mistake.

All this for a guy that had ONE. ONE good game that caused a youtube highlight reel to made.

If people don't see why his race has contributed to this hype and this gross exaggeration of this actual talents, then i dont know what to tell them.

Unlike most of the people in this thread, i actually saw 3 of the 4 games he played. Not highlight reels. The whole game.

I will tell you this. We aren't missing out on anything special.

Lake_Show2416
07-21-2010, 02:10 AM
I don't know why people are getting so upset at the fact that we didn't get him.
He went to his hometown team, where he would see more playing time then with the Lakers
I can't fault him for not wanting to sit on the bench all year.
plus the likely hood of a late 2nd round pick or a undrafted player panning out is crazy low
but good luck next year jeremy lin

ShadowX
07-21-2010, 02:34 AM
He's good, but remember adam morrison a couple of years ago in the summer league.
[B][B]Lets just wait and see.[B][B]

I still think Morrison is good, but not at the salary he was receiving. Morrison is still better than other bench backups such as Koby Carl, etc. Morrison really didn't get an opportunity to showcase himself due to injuries, and the deep Laker rotation. I think he will do well in other teams.

borat
07-21-2010, 02:58 AM
I still think Morrison is good, but not at the salary he was receiving. Morrison is still better than other bench backups such as Koby Carl, etc. Morrison really didn't get an opportunity to showcase himself due to injuries, and the deep Laker rotation. I think he will do well in other teams.

I dont know. I think if you show something in practice you get a real shot. PJ has always done this. If you look at the past, guys like Von Wafer and Critt got real time to see what they could do. Not like we ever had a real backup at the 3. I think AMMO is a bust due to his knee injury. Guy just cant get his mojo back at all and PJ not giving him any chance at all i think is a huge indicator of this.

Anilyzer
07-21-2010, 03:15 AM
I must say you make some solid points, although you may be a little 'off' in terms of Laker strategy and the way the FO may be viewing their roster building:

The Lakers currently are 'down a guard' [ or maybe even two ], meaning they are carrying only four at the moment. "Replacing" Vujacic with Lin [ if such a move were even possible this year ] is probably not their goal, but rather they are looking at Lin as a possible roster substitute for Brown should resigning Shannon not work out. Apparently, Lin can play an 'athletic' combo guard role well, even though he is tad shorter than Brown and Jeremy's athleticism is not of the 'leaping' variety ala Brown, but is based around quickness and solid handles coupled with a slasher's fearlessness at attacking the hole ...

Signing Lin would give the Lakers five guards, in essence all of whom are 'interchangeable' to a degree within the triangle offense; in other words, all five could see court time at either the 1 or the 2, depending on matchups, and the team would likely not miss a beat. I am not meaning to imply here that we will see a lot of Kobe at the point or Fisher/Blake at the 2, only that those options would be available to the coaching staff if the Lakers were to add Lin to the backcourt. The guard ledger would be deep and very versatile ...

Vujacic's shooting woes are real, though they may be a bit overplayed, certainly when viewed in the context 'of him' and likely when compared to some others as well. In 2009-2010, Sasha shot poorly on his 3s [ 30.9% ], but his overall FG%, though low by most objective standards, actually exceeded his lifetime NBA mark [ 40.2% to 39.3% ] and was the second highest value of his career. Also, for his career, Vujacic is still a 37.1% 3-point shooter, which makes him far better than Jerry Stackhouse, a bit better than Rasual Butler, and within a percentage point of being the equal of Roger Mason, three perimeter players that legions of PSD posters are advocating that the Lakers sign as FAs almost solely for their reputations as dependable 3-point shooting specialists. The lion's share of the criticism directed at Vujacic may be little more than a case of familiarity breeding contempt ...

And, perhaps, the paycheck Vujacic collects breeds some contempt, too. You underestimated Sasha's payroll 'drain' for the coming season as he is set to 'earn' nearly $5.5 million, not the $4 mil you posited. I hope he truly does earn it by recapturing his 40%+ touch from behind the arc. But, even if he can only shoot back up to his historical average, he can be an adequate sub for Bryant at SG for 12-15 MPG. If all goes well, that is what the Lakers will need from him; I do not see Vujacic as an immediate problem area in terms of Laker personnel ...

wow... $5.5M... I didn't know it was that much. wtf was Mitch thinking on that one...

Anyhow, the numbers (shooting percentage, 3pt percentage, etc) are interesting, but they don't tell the whole story. Since his best season (2008) his numbers are way down, FG attempts and minutes are way down, and we all know he hasn't been dangerous like he was in 2008. Here's his 2010 stats:

Games: 67
Minutes: 8.6
FGM-A: 66-164
FG%: .402
3PM-A: 25-81
3P%: .309
FTM-A: 28-33
Pts: 2.8

So, he got onto the court in about 3/4 of the games, and took about as many free throws during the whole season as Kobe takes during one game.

Most of us have a pretty good sense that the reason he doesn't play more "primetime" minutes is because his shooting still looks very shakey and he doesn't seem to "knock down" those wide open threes very often.

Probably, if Phil started playing him 20-30 minutes a game and he started taking many more shots, his 25-81 three point score could easily veer into
30-200 territory or even worse.

It just feels like his stats are held together with scotch tape or something,
and it always feels sketchy when he is out on the court.

Anyhow... if we are going into battle and facing perhaps an improved Celtics team, an improved Orlando team, or the "Big 3" in Miami, we have to have no weak spots to be truly effective. Imo, Sasha, Farmar, Fisher and Luke were all basically riding the "wave of mediocrity" last year. We could also raise big question marks about Odom, who wasn't spectacular, but let's not get into that right now.

Basically, it tells you everything that we could sign Steve Blake for $3.5M a year from the Clippers, and he instantly becomes our best point guard, our best playmaker at the point, and our best shooter and defender at the point.
That means that we went ALL LAST YEAR, and the year before also, with just like sketchy replacement players at those positions. Fisher, over the hill, unable to defend quicker guards, shooting inconsistent... Farmar, out of control, turnovers, chucking up wild shots at a questionable percentage... Sasha, playing sparse minutes, making like one 3pt shot every three or four games.

I mean I get the whole "the system is the star" thing about the Triangle... but those shots should be popping and the ball should be moving. Our PGs and backup SFs get overwhelmed, make bad decisions, miss shots -- the offense bogs down and the shots brick.

So maybe we're more than just a "guard down". We got Kobe and Blake, and hopefully Fisher has a good season. Shannon Brown might be improved next year. Who knows.

Yeah... and this Lin guy... don't sweat it. He's getting lot's of national ink because he played at Harvard... it won't matter that much to the Lakers if they sign him or not.

ShadowX
07-21-2010, 05:42 AM
I dont know. I think if you show something in practice you get a real shot. PJ has always done this. If you look at the past, guys like Von Wafer and Critt got real time to see what they could do. Not like we ever had a real backup at the 3. I think AMMO is a bust due to his knee injury. Guy just cant get his mojo back at all and PJ not giving him any chance at all i think is a huge indicator of this.

You might be right. Phil did give Smush Parker a chance.

Even though Jeremy didn't sign with Lakers, I wish him luck with GS. I don't think its a good career move in the long run, but he will have more playing time over there.

gr824
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
wow... $5.5M... I didn't know it was that much. wtf was Mitch thinking on that one...

Anyhow, the numbers (shooting percentage, 3pt percentage, etc) are interesting, but they don't tell the whole story. Since his best season (2008) his numbers are way down, FG attempts and minutes are way down, and we all know he hasn't been dangerous like he was in 2008. Here's his 2010 stats:

Games: 67
Minutes: 8.6
FGM-A: 66-164
FG%: .402
3PM-A: 25-81
3P%: .309
FTM-A: 28-33
Pts: 2.8

So, he got onto the court in about 3/4 of the games, and took about as many free throws during the whole season as Kobe takes during one game.

Most of us have a pretty good sense that the reason he doesn't play more "primetime" minutes is because his shooting still looks very shakey and he doesn't seem to "knock down" those wide open threes very often.

Probably, if Phil started playing him 20-30 minutes a game and he started taking many more shots, his 25-81 three point score could easily veer into
30-200 territory or even worse.

It just feels like his stats are held together with scotch tape or something,
and it always feels sketchy when he is out on the court.

Anyhow... if we are going into battle and facing perhaps an improved Celtics team, an improved Orlando team, or the "Big 3" in Miami, we have to have no weak spots to be truly effective. Imo, Sasha, Farmar, Fisher and Luke were all basically riding the "wave of mediocrity" last year. We could also raise big question marks about Odom, who wasn't spectacular, but let's not get into that right now.

Basically, it tells you everything that we could sign Steve Blake for $3.5M a year from the Clippers, and he instantly becomes our best point guard, our best playmaker at the point, and our best shooter and defender at the point.
That means that we went ALL LAST YEAR, and the year before also, with just like sketchy replacement players at those positions. Fisher, over the hill, unable to defend quicker guards, shooting inconsistent... Farmar, out of control, turnovers, chucking up wild shots at a questionable percentage... Sasha, playing sparse minutes, making like one 3pt shot every three or four games.

I mean I get the whole "the system is the star" thing about the Triangle... but those shots should be popping and the ball should be moving. Our PGs and backup SFs get overwhelmed, make bad decisions, miss shots -- the offense bogs down and the shots brick.

So maybe we're more than just a "guard down". We got Kobe and Blake, and hopefully Fisher has a good season. Shannon Brown might be improved next year. Who knows.

Yeah... and this Lin guy... don't sweat it. He's getting lot's of national ink because he played at Harvard... it won't matter that much to the Lakers if they sign him or not.

Nice post [ and long, too :cool: ] ... I will not address it all - much speaks for itself -- but I do have a few responses:

In what game did Kobe take anywhere close to 33 FTs ? :rolleyes:

Also, I see no reason to believe that Vujacic's 3PT FG% would drop to 15% or less if he were to get more shots during added PT. Much of his poorer shooting of late likely stems from playing reduced and/or sporadic minutes and thereby failing to get into rhythm on the court. The limited minutes have been a result of injury issues and, to some degree, discipline matters. Of course, there is no reason to believe that those aspects of his past will naturally disappear completely in 2010-2011, but, if he can get them more under control, as they were in 2007-2008, then I expect his numbers to revert upward toward that prior solid level rather than to deteriorate into a free-fall as you postulate they will ...

You make some valid points about the Laker backcourt/bench men and their weaknesses. Yet, as "bad" as they might have been at times, their performance got the job done in the end: Farmar shot 40% on his 3s during the playoffs; the Laker bench, with the exception of Game Four, actually played as well as, or better than, Boston's bench in the Finals; and the Lakers, supposedly slow and nonathletic, still managed to handle both OKC and Phoenix rather easily with their transition and half-court defense in all the games where FTs were not being handed out like candy to their opponents ...

I suspect the Lakers do most likely need one or two more guards, though neither has to be Lin or, for that matter, Brown either [ if they do bring back Brown 'cheaply', then they still would probably need another ballhandler/shooter/defender type on the wing ]. Getting a guard like the one I described in my earlier post above would be the best move -- Brown does not fit all those criteria -- but a player such as that is not that easy to find and, if found, might break beyond the Laker 'budget' anyway [ $1.765 million does not seem to go as far as it used to :rolleyes: ] ...

I trust that the Lakers will fill out their roster and be improved when all is said and done. But the waiting to see what form the improvement takes can definitely be tedious ...

mstrdrk
07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
I personally dont think it is a handicap.

However, as evident in this thread the most of this hype grew because he is asian.

Lets be totally real here. The guy played in the ivy league first off. I am not doubting he has skills, or even is a good player. However he had one good game while he played John Wall. Not a dominating game either. One good game that caught peoples eyes. If you look at his summer league stats he averaged about 2 dimes per 20 minutes. Not exactly outstanding. Also if you watched any of the other games. I saw 2 other games. One against Denver particularly he was very slow laterally. Guy will get eaten up on the defensive end in the league.

So we have a 9 page thread on a guy that was an ok college player in the ivy league that had one good game where John Wall happened to be the other pg. We have fans disappointed that we didn't sign this guy. We have fans mad that mitch didn't lock it up and we have fans saying Lin made a mistake.

All this for a guy that had ONE. ONE good game that caused a youtube highlight reel to made.

If people don't see why his race has contributed to this hype and this gross exaggeration of this actual talents, then i dont know what to tell them.

Unlike most of the people in this thread, i actually saw 3 of the 4 games he played. Not highlight reels. The whole game.

I will tell you this. We aren't missing out on anything special.

Maybe it's all hype...maybe it's not. That's why I said it's all about potential...you know the same word used much around Andrew Bynum who couldn't stay healthy to save his life. The point is, the team is trying to save money. I would much rather spend 250k on a benchwarmer who may have some upside than keep someone like Powell who is basically a benchwarmer who has no upside and costs 4-5x the price. I don't see vets willing to come to this team for 250k to sit on the bench and maybe develop their skills.

gr824
07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Maybe it's all hype...maybe it's not. That's why I said it's all about potential...you know the same word used much around Andrew Bynum who couldn't stay healthy to save his life. The point is, the team is trying to save money. I would much rather spend 250k on a benchwarmer who may have some upside than keep someone like Powell who is basically a benchwarmer who has no upside and costs 4-5x the price. I don't see vets willing to come to this team for 250k to sit on the bench and maybe develop their skills.

Nobody is "willing" to play in the NBA for $250,000 ... The league minimum for a rookie is $473,604; the 'cheapest' veteran's minimum is $762,195 ...

Raidaz4Life
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Can we close this thread considering he signed with the warriors?

lakers4sho
07-21-2010, 01:07 PM
ib4l

lakersfan01
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Warriors Sign Free Agent Guard Jeremy Lin
Palo Alto Native Was First Team All-Ivy League Selection In 2009-10

VIEW VIDEO & PHOTOS
The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent guard Jeremy Lin to a contract, the team announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

Lin, 21, recently completed a four-year stint at Harvard, where he averaged 12.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 115 career outings. The 6’3” guard became the first player in Ivy League history to record at least 1,450 points, 450 rebounds, 400 assists and 200 steals. He was an All-Ivy League First Team selection this past season (2009-10), when he averaged 16.4 points, 4.5 assists, 4.4 rebounds and shot 51.9% from the floor in 29 games. A native of Palo Alto, Lin’s senior season at Harvard was highlighted by a 30-point, 9-rebound and 3-assist performance against #13 ranked Connecticut.

After not being selected in the 2010 NBA Draft, Lin played for the Dallas Mavericks in the 2010 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas earlier this month. He averaged 9.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in 18.6 minutes in five outings with the Mavericks, shooting a team-leading 54.5% from the floor.

As the captain of the Palo Alto High School basketball team as a senior in 2006, Lin guided the Vikings to the State Championship with a victory over Mater Dei at ARCO Arena in Sacramento.

He would have been cool as a Laker. Oh well. Let's sign Gerald Green or Tmac. And a big, Anthony Tolliver, Shaq, Kwame, or i guess Kurt Thomas lol.

lakers4sho
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
We have a thread for this.

handle
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Mitchfail.

jerellh528
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
how is that a mitch fail? dude wasnt even drafted obviously for a reason.

handle
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
(nm)

handle
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
how is that a mitch fail? dude wasnt even drafted obviously for a reason.

Have you seen him play? I'm not saying he's the next MJ, but he could've helped us, for cheap. I guarantee he's twice the player Sasha is already.

socalpkrbkr
07-21-2010, 04:33 PM
The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent guard Jeremy Lin to a contract, the team announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.