PDA

View Full Version : Ready for a Year of NBA Lockout

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmsERt1iPhk

By David Roth

NBA free agents great and small – from Kyle Lowry to Luis Scola to Carlos Boozer and that LeBron Jones fellow – have become very rich over the last week or so. On Thursday, the reliably enigmatic Golden State Warriors were sold to venture capitalist Joe Lacob and Hollywood producer Peter Guber for a league-record $450 million. While the Journal’s Zoran Basich identified the Warriors as a potentially lucrative buy-low opportunity back in June, the price tag on the 26-win Warriors was still eye-poppingly huge. Factor in the ratings success of the NBA playoffs and the arrival of a few potential rookie stars and it would seem that things are looking up for the NBA.

Associated Press
What could be broken about a system that allows Darko Milicic to re-sign with Minnesota for four years and $20 million?

Or it would seem that way if the NBA didn’t otherwise seem to be headed straight for a management-labor dispute that could wind up scotching next season. “These should be the new halcyon days of the NBA,” FanHouse’s Sam Amick writes. “But these are not good times for David Stern’s league, with the ominous issues piling up and the commissioner having no choice but to address the obvious.”

“The obvious,” in this case, being the fact that the league is still staring down both a huge loss for the 2009-10 season – the NBA estimated $370 million league-wide in losses last year, although the player’s union disputes that figure – and, more ominously, a possible lockout after the 2010-11 season. In the New York Times, Howard Beck provides an overview of the labor dispute that’s threatening to undo the NBA’s recent momentum.

While a lockout would obviously be bad news for NBA fans, it’s looking increasingly like a fact of life for hoops heads. “No one really liked NBA basketball anyways, right?” Yahoo’s Trey Kerby writes. “It’s not like it’s the best part of October through June or anything like that. Surely its absence will go unnoticed and we can all use the time we would have devoted to basketball to learning new skills like crochet, macro photography and screenprinting.” Or trying to find out how to stream Euroleague games on our computers.

At the Huffington Post, sports economist David Berri writes that one outcome is certain regardless of which side wins the staredown – NBA ticket prices aren’t coming down anytime soon.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 06:40 PM
lockout????

tangent12
07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. Just empty assumptions and speculation.

Kevj77
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Owners are as much at fault as the players. Who can blame someone for signing a huge contract if they get offered one. The owners have been overpaying players for years driving up salaries. Role players get paid more today then MJ did most of his years in the league.

BigBlueCrew
07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
But we wont get to see the Big 3??!?!?!

Aww shucks

marlinsfan24
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Do you guys really think that both sides won't compromise knowing that both sides will lose a ton of money?

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 06:57 PM
But we wont get to see the Big 3??!?!?!

Aww shucks

well see it, just maybe financialy things might be different

Bigbadmoffo
07-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Do you guys really think that both sides won't compromise knowing that both sides will lose a ton of money?

That's what they said before the hockey lockout and then we had the baseball lockout.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
That's what they said before the hockey lockout and then we had the baseball lockout.

they will work something out right

DCSportsIsPain
07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
I gather from the O.P. that Rory McIlroy and Lance Armstrong have something to do with the impending lockout. Or perhaps that Daniel Nava and Big League Chew are going to rescue the NBA from itself ... and here I was thinking it was going to be the owners and the player's union.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
I gather from the O.P. that Rory McIlroy and Lance Armstrong have something to do with the impending lockout. Or perhaps that Daniel Nava and Big League Chew are going to rescue the NBA from itself ... and here I was thinking it was going to be the owners and the player's union.

yeah, i fixed that

jrm2054
07-16-2010, 07:25 PM
i see a lock out happening in one of the leagues and i would rather it be the nba then nfl

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:28 PM
i see a lock out happening in one of the leagues and i would rather it be the nba then nfl

i hope niether get a lockout

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-16-2010, 07:30 PM
that should be an advantage to C's and Lakers

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:32 PM
that should be an advantage to C's and Lakers

how would that be an advantage to them?

Lloyd Christmas
07-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Of course the players union will say they will strike if their demands aren't met. And the owners will stand their ground saying they will allow a strike. This always happens.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
how would that be an advantage to them?

keywords: old teams, shorter season

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:38 PM
ohhhh i see:o

Mudvayne91
07-16-2010, 07:43 PM
They don't need a lockout, they need a new commissioner

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:50 PM
They don't need a lockout, they need a new commissioner

david stern has been commishinor for a long long time

rockets-fan
07-16-2010, 07:52 PM
um whats a lock out?

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
a work stoppage in which an employer prevents some or all employees from working

smith&wesson
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
fml. what will i do with out basket ball.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 08:09 PM
fml. what will i do with out basket ball.

lol if a lockout does happen it will probally just shorten the regular season, that wont be that bad

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-16-2010, 08:12 PM
um whats a lock out?

Players are grounded :p

but seriously
Simply when NBA owner and Player's association can't make an agreement on how much players and the organization get payed.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 08:19 PM
hey kobe24-tj19, who is the guy in the picture?

D1JM
07-16-2010, 08:28 PM

players will lose money, but the owners are still getting payed

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
hey kobe24-tj19, who is the guy in the picture?

Markko Märtin
Google him, he was crazy good until he retired due to his co-driver death.
But now he's back for one rally in my country over 4 years:dance:

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Markko Märtin
Google him, he was crazy good until he retired due to his co-driver death.
But now he's back for one rally in my country over 4 years:dance:

thats tight

DCSportsIsPain
07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
yeah, i fixed that

I was just having a little sarcasm at my own expense. :D
Billy Hunter, the director of the NBAPA, seems to believe there will be a lockout.
They can't even agree on last year's BRI, so I must concur, there will be a lockout. The owner's tossed this salad by paying such ridiculous salaries just to one-up each other. Now they almost have to dress it, especially in smaller markets where owners have more, or in some cases all, of their personal wealth tied to their NBA franchises. I see either a hard cap or a 15% salary reduction or both in the NBA's future.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I was just having a little sarcasm at my own expense. :D
Billy Hunter, the director of the NBAPA, seems to believe there will be a lockout.
They can't even agree on last year's BRI, so I must concur, there will be a lockout. The owner's tossed this salad by paying such ridiculous salaries just to one-up each other. Now they almost have to dress it, especially in smaller markets where owners have more, or in some cases all, of their personal wealth tied to their NBA franchises. I see either a hard cap or a 15% salary reduction or both in the NBA's future.

that sucks :facepalm:

Yankees Suck
07-16-2010, 08:51 PM
If the NBA has a lockout which reuslts in a shorter season then the Knicks might actually have a chance at making the playoffs.

Raps26
07-16-2010, 09:02 PM
If the NBA has a lockout which reuslts in a shorter season then the Knicks might actually have a chance at making the playoffs.

How so?

oak2455
07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. Just empty assumptions and speculation.

I put my money on a lockout, Stern says they lost a ton of money and I think they did... look the NBA is not as big as the NFL or MLB so going forward, a LOCKOUT is coming:)

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 09:36 PM

dream on

HouRealCoach
07-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I heard that ALL the sports from MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL will have a lockout year in 2012

TEXASTITAN
07-16-2010, 09:49 PM
You mean we the ''Decision'' was all for nothiing lmao......The NBA needs a lockout to be honest as a reality check to both owners and players were in the middle of a recession quit giving aways millions for garbage.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I heard that ALL the sports from MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL will have a lockout year in 2012

the world is gonna end in 2012 anyway lol

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
You mean we the ''Decision'' was all for nothiing lmao......The NBA needs a lockout to be honest as a reality check to both owners and players were in the middle of a recession quit giving aways millions for garbage.

i agree :clap:

SugeKnight
07-16-2010, 11:12 PM
simple solution: Max contracts should be lower and salary cap should be raised. NBA communism

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 11:40 PM
hey suge, u killed 2pac lol