PDA

View Full Version : Addition by subtraction: Utah Jazz

Kingdre619
07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
i like waht the jazz have done this year, adding jefferson who can score a bit in the paint, and block sum shots now and again, and raja bell to combat kobe in the playoffs

but the one thing they are missing is a true 5.

if they can get shaq, that would be huge, he can start, ply 20 mins per gm, and jazz could realistically win about 55 games and be a conference finals team

the jazz are quickly becoming one of the best 4 in the west, all they need is a shooter, which they lost in korver. but raja can shoot the 3 ball, but not as proficiently as korver

right now, the west is looking like this as far as playoff seeding is concerned:

1. lakers
2.Mavericks
3.Jazz
4. nuggets
5. thunder
6. spurs
7. blazers
8. rockets

futureman
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I see shaq as a detriment to a team at this stage in his career. We have Tomic coming over from Spain next season so we don't really need shaq.

Shammyguy3
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
i like waht the jazz have done this year, adding jefferson who can score a bit in the paint, and block sum shots now and again, and raja bell to combat kobe in the playoffs

but the one thing they are missing is a true 5.

if they can get shaq, that would be huge, he can start, ply 20 mins per gm, and jazz could realistically win about 55 games and be a conference finals team

the jazz are quickly becoming one of the best 4 in the west, all they need is a shooter, which they lost in korver. but raja can shoot the 3 ball, but not as proficiently as korver

right now, the west is looking like this as far as playoff seeding is concerned:

1. lakers
2.Mavericks
3.Jazz
4. nuggets
5. thunder
6. spurs
7. blazers
8. rockets

Jefferson & Okur would be the worst PF/C combo defensively & rebounding wise in the whole league. And i give less than a 1% chance of Shaq signing with the Jazz.

The Jazz also lost Boozer (better than Jefferson), Korver, Matthews, Brewer's status is up in the air.

So you lost: Boozer, Korver Matthews, and Brewer (atm)
and gained: Jefferson, Hayward Raja Bell

Not looking that great right now. I have the standings right now as:

1. LA
2. Dallas
3. Portland
4. Oklahoma City
5. Denver
6. Utah
7. San Antonio
8. Houston

futureman
07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Jefferson & Okur would be the worst PF/C combo defensively & rebounding wise in the whole league. And i give less than a 1% chance of Shaq signing with the Jazz.

The Jazz also lost Boozer (better than Jefferson), Korver, Matthews, Brewer's status is up in the air.

and gained: Jefferson, Hayward

1. LA
2. Dallas
3. Portland
4. Oklahoma City
5. Denver
6. Utah
7. San Antonio
8. Houston

Okur won't even be playing. If Utah thought Boozer was better than Jefferson, they would've kept him. We'll just see how good Boozer is when he is sidelined with a bee sting and Al is averaging 20/15 on a winning team.

Boozer will be 33 when he gets out of his contract. Jefferson will only be 28 when he gets out of his which is in 3 years and you will be Desperate to get out of Boozer's contract by that time. Thanks for the trade exception.

Kakaroach
07-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I like what the Jazz have done as well. Hopefully Raja Bell is fully healthy and Big Al can be just as great on a winning team.

Russell_Roberts
07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
lol @ you forgettin the suns

BoSelecta!!!
07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
sheeet,, i would love have big al and Milsap anyday!

Raidaz4Life
07-16-2010, 12:32 PM

and gained: Jefferson, Hayward

1. LA
2. Dallas
3. Portland
4. Oklahoma City
5. Denver
6. Utah
7. San Antonio
8. Houston

Thats exactly what I've been saying, to me there are just way too many question marks before giving the Jazz the 2nd or 3rd seed in the west. I don't think Jazz fans realize how good Boozer was in comparison to Jefferson.

Shammyguy3
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Okur won't even be playing. If Utah thought Boozer was better than Jefferson, they would've kept him. We'll just see how good Boozer is when he is sidelined with a bee sting and Al is averaging 20/15 on a winning team.

Boozer will be 33 when he gets out of his contract. Jefferson will only be 28 when he gets out of his which is in 3 years and you will be Desperate to get out of Boozer's contract by that time. Thanks for the trade exception.

First off, sensitive much??? :confused:

And there is no ****ing way in hell that Jefferson will average 15 rebounds per game. He's reb% has gone down each of the past few years. And yeah he might score 20 a game, but he's terribly inefficient for a big with a ts% of that has gone down the past 4 years as well:

reb%
2006-2007: 19.5%
2007-2008: 18.1%
2008-2009: 17.5%
2009-2010: 16.0%

ts%
2006-2007: 54.7%
2007-2008: 53.5%
2008-2009: 53.2%
2009-2010: 52.4%

even in his best season (06/07) he didn't have a ts% over 55% (which blows for a supposed good "post-player).

celtsballa21
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Big Al can easily be better than Boozer if he is healthy, Bell is better than anyone else you lost

Shammyguy3
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Big Al can easily be better than Boozer if he is healthy, Bell is better than anyone else you lost

Except for the fact that he's not healthy, and has not been better than him in any season in his whole career....that's what you meant right?

shep33
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
This is kind of a unique situation in Utah. They were typically a pick and roll team, and now with Jefferson they can't do that with him like they did with Boozer. But still maybe they work it out with Millsap. Jefferson is a back to the basket player, so for his production he has to get the ball on the block, cause he's not a good jump shooter yet either. It'll be a shift in what Utah normal does for its offense.

The move that baffles me about the Jazz is basically giving up Korver and Wesley Matthews for Raja Bell. Bell is 34 coming off of season ending knee surgery, playing in only 6 games last year. Matthews was a very good player for them, and Korver was lights out from 3.

Kant Stand Kobe
07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Big AL will flourish in the Utah Jazz system. DWILL will make him look amazing like he makes the rest of the team better. Watch out for the Jazz this season. I think we are all in for a big surprise in the west.

Kant Stand Kobe
07-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Wrist injury. He says he is 100% now. And I imagine his legs are well rested.

Kant Stand Kobe
07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Korver is a great shooter. But seems to just follow/chase from behind his opponent on defense.

RAptorsNExtYeaR
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
You guys have fesenko!!! That guy is awesome!!!

I cheered for him and your team during the playoffs!!!

Punkindrublic03
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Except for the fact that he's not healthy, and has not been better than him in any season in his whole career....that's what you meant right?

Boozer is just as injury prone as Al.

If Al stays healthy... D-will gonna make him an all star.

Jazzers are gonna be real nice. watch it.

king4day
07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't see that drastic of an improvement with AJ over Boozer. Bell isn't the Bell of a few years ago. He's much slower now as we saw in Charlotte. Starting to become more injury prone too.
Losing a shooter like Korver was probably the biggest loss for them.
They'll most certainly be good and they should be a playoff team, but I don't expect them to contend for the West.

Shammyguy3
07-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Boozer is just as injury prone as Al.
yes

If Al stays healthy... D-will gonna make him an all star.
Pending on him being listed as a C or a PF? No to both:
not with Dirk, Duncan, Gasol, Yao, Aldridge, Bynum, Durant, Anthony, and even David Lee

Jazzers are gonna be real nice. watch it.

I gave them the 6th seed in the western conference....they'll be good, just not contenders.

Joe09
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
west looking like this:

1. lakers
2. Mavs
3. Oklahoma City
4. Denver
5. Portland
6. S.A
7. Utah
8. Houston

JordansBulls
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
The Jazz will do better against the Lakers now with the new guys than in the past because they have more size.

shep33
07-16-2010, 01:05 PM
1. Lakers
2. OKC
3. Mavs
4. Nuggets
5. Blazers
6. Spurs
7. Jazz
8. Rockets/Clips/Suns

MJ-BULLS
07-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I can see them putting up a beter fight against the Lakers now in the playoffs.

but idk if they are better than last years team.

toronto_JazzFan
07-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I can see them putting up a beter fight against the Lakers now in the playoffs.

but idk if they are better than last years team.

you need to stop talking. your just mad cuz jazz fans are happy they got al over boozer. and u dont wanna admit al is a better fit then that under-sized injury prone piece of trash

Tyboy
07-16-2010, 01:34 PM
i love how bulls fans are all excited for boozer. he will be great for 40 games a year and then he will get a hang nail and wont play for 3 months. the only year you will get a good consistent year out of him will be his contract year and by then he will be 33! good luck with that! after watch booz for the past 6 years, ill take my chances with big al any day of the week!

Kingdre619
07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
lol @ you forgettin the suns
well as a now former suns fan( my boy STAT is a knick, and im still undecided on whether i will actually become a knicks fan)

the suns dont have a pf right now, we will talk when dat happens

Kingdre619
07-16-2010, 06:29 PM
you need to stop talking. your just mad cuz jazz fans are happy they got al over boozer. and u dont wanna admit al is a better fit then that under-sized injury prone piece of trash
they r both injury prone so u fail -_-

Raoul Duke
07-16-2010, 06:32 PM
It seems to me like they need to make another move. A Jefferson/Okur frontcourt would have some serious drawbacks, as would a Milsap/Jefferson frontcourt. Bell is a good pickup, but when you total up all the moves it's more of a lateral shift for Utah then a clear-cut improvement.

They'll still be good, but will they be any better? Meh...

futureman
07-16-2010, 06:33 PM
First off, sensitive much??? :confused:

And there is no ****ing way in hell that Jefferson will average 15 rebounds per game. He's reb% has gone down each of the past few years. And yeah he might score 20 a game, but he's terribly inefficient for a big with a ts% of that has gone down the past 4 years as well:

reb%
2006-2007: 19.5%
2007-2008: 18.1%
2008-2009: 17.5%
2009-2010: 16.0%

ts%
2006-2007: 54.7%
2007-2008: 53.5%
2008-2009: 53.2%
2009-2010: 52.4%

even in his best season (06/07) he didn't have a ts% over 55% (which blows for a supposed good "post-player).

That because he has never been coached by Sloan and has never really been on a team that has had the dicipline that the Jazz have. The Celtics had Rivers and Pierce in place but not the talent. But In Utah, Rebounds matter so he will be better than in minnesota.

Kingdre619
07-16-2010, 06:49 PM
It seems to me like they need to make another move. A Jefferson/Okur frontcourt would have some serious drawbacks, as would a Milsap/Jefferson frontcourt. Bell is a good pickup, but when you total up all the moves it's more of a lateral shift for Utah then a clear-cut improvement.

They'll still be good, but will they be any better? Meh...
thats why i suggested shaq

tangent12
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Honestly I think the Jazz have downgraded and overrated their new acquired talent. I mean Bell.. come on now, we don't even know if the guy is healthy. Al has always been a decent player but definitely overrated by everyone but the Wolves fans.

They lost more than what they added to the team talent and need wise.

kEviN21
07-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Big Al is overrated and Boozer was solid in the playoffs...But then again Big Al didn't fit the triangle/his teammates at all...Best of luck to Al. Realistically, 18/10

GeekInThePink
07-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Honestly I think the Jazz have downgraded and overrated their new acquired talent. I mean Bell.. come on now, we don't even know if the guy is healthy. Al has always been a decent player but definitely overrated by everyone but the Wolves fans.

They lost more than what they added to the team talent and need wise.

Didn't they also lose Brewer and Matthews? they added a talented PF in Jeff but beyond that I don't see them improving at all, probably be worse.

D-Will4Prez
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Didn't they also lose Brewer and Matthews? they added a talented PF in Jeff but beyond that I don't see them improving at all, probably be worse.

We lost Brewer at the trade deadline last season, and seemed to be a better team because of it, I love Brewer but he is pretty one-dimensional. And I'm still crying on the inside from the loss of Matthews :(.

GeekInThePink
07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
We lost Brewer at the trade deadline last season, and seemed to be a better team because of it, I love Brewer but he is pretty one-dimensional. And I'm still crying on the inside from the loss of Matthews :(.

Ah, I forgot he was in Memphis, how embarassing :(

smith&wesson
07-16-2010, 07:29 PM
utah is never great and never bad. they are always just good. good enough to make the play offs maybe first round second round. they are never contenders and they hardly ever miss the playoffs. i wonder why they dont just add the peices around dwill that they need too, to really make them a contender.

al jeff and boozer are pretty dam similar only boozers kinda better man. i dont know what happened there.

jimbobjarree
07-16-2010, 07:37 PM
finally added some nastiness and veteran leadership in Bell, and finally a true bruiser down low in Jefferson...I like!

You know a team coached by Jerry Sloan will get it together quickly and have a strong 50ish win season, we always do, and it should be no different next season.

juggla53
07-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Its pretty obvious that ture centers are really hard to come by in today's NBA, i mean hell brenden haywood just got 60 million. Okur deffinatley isnt a dream situation at the 5 but hes a good offensive player who can spread the floor and knock down open jumpers. They did as well as they possibly could of replaceing boozer with jefferson even though boozer is currently the better player. Jefferson can score in the paint and although many people say he was an offensive black hole in minnesota exactly who did he have to pass to? That team was arguabley one of the worst teams in the history of the league at the 2 and 3 spots (still kicking themselves over the b-roy trade). D-williams will be another year older and is as good as anyone in the NBA and creates a lot of mismatches with his size, strength and vision. Utah will be a good team again as they have always hussel and play tough under sloan. i expect them to atleast make it to the second round and be in contention for the WCF, although they need avoid seeing LA before then in order to get there.

Nirvanaskurdt
07-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Like everyone said last year.. the Suns wont make the playoffs lol :rolleyes:

I like what the Jazz have done and they should be a 5 or 6 seed in the west :)

chicago lulz
07-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I thought the Jazz did a fine job with their acquisitions.

Bishnoff
07-16-2010, 09:14 PM
It's funny how some of you guys are rating the Suns as a Lottery team...

Bishnoff
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
well as a now former suns fan( my boy STAT is a knick, and im still undecided on whether i will actually become a knicks fan)

:facepalm:

We have more players right now who can play the 4 than we have had in a long time.

Raph12
07-16-2010, 09:31 PM
West:
1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Jazz
4. Mavs
5. Nuggets
6. Rockets
7. Thunder
8. Spurs

East:
1. Magic
2. Heat
3. Bulls
4. Hawks
5. Celtics
6. Bucks
7. Bobcats
8. 76ers

jimbobjarree
07-16-2010, 11:40 PM
^I'd swap the Mavs with the Blazers and Thunder with Houston.

In the east I'd swap Boston with Chicago, and I wouldnt like to guess the 8th seed, so many options. Will be interesting to see how things shape up.

Kingdre619
07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
:facepalm:

We have more players right now who can play the 4 than we have had in a long time.
there's a big difference in guys who can play the 4, and guys who are good at the 4.

right now, the most likely starting lineup is:

1: nash, dragic
2: richardson, ?
3: hill, dudley
4:torgolou, warrick
5:lopez, frye

now unless lopez is going to grab 20 rebounds a game, i suggest the suns invest inna powerforward because hedo's career high for rebounds is 5.7

so -_-

dats how the cookie crumbles, ima really miss being a suns fan, but they mistreated STAT for the last 2 years, and im glad he left, how u try to trade ur 2nd best player 2 years inna row, then expect him to sign an extension? "Child Please!"

Imma miss the suns, but they brought this on themselves, Planet orange forever tho!

kjdills13
07-17-2010, 10:23 AM

the is one of the most front runner post i have ever read.

But

Also you say the suns dont have a PF, Hedo is 6'10 and big enough to play pf in this system. Is Lewis for the magic a PF NO but he has to play it for them and they made it to a finals. Hedo is the same type player except hedo can pass. I hate it when people give the suns crap for not having a PF. the suns were one of the best teams in the league with Marion at PF and Amare at C. we are a MUCH bigger front line than that and our offense will be better.

I will sig bet ANYBODY that the suns will be a top4 team in the west next season!

Bucsfan
07-17-2010, 10:30 AM
jefferson is a great addition for the jazz..they still need a few pieces

im loving all the jazz hate in this thread tho lol

HOZ THE KNICK
07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
The thunder will be the 2nd best team out west this yr since they bust their cherry and ready to war.

Kingdre619
07-17-2010, 12:09 PM
The thunder will be the 2nd best team out west this yr since they bust their cherry and ready to war.

yea....right....

when they acquire an inside scorer, then we can talk about thunder

as far as im concerned there are only 5 teams in the west:

The kobe's-lack t-mac off the bench
The Melooooooooooooo's- lack a center
the mavericks-lack...everything
the jazz-lack a center
thunder-lack a scorer, u cannot win with only 2 players scoring, need a pf, a 20/10