PDA

View Full Version : Stealth moves?

dashripdot
07-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Assume for a moment that Sather makes no big splashes (e.g., signing Kovalchuk or dealing for Richards, Thornton, Gagne, etc.). What low-key deals would you like to see him make to help the club? For instance, the Red Wings with their own cap problems have yet to re-sign either Darren Helm or Justin Abdelkader, talented young forwards; Colorado might have been taking offers for another talented young forward, Peter Mueller, at the trade deadline. Any other suggestions that might make sense for the Rangers, both in terms of talent and dollars?

Rangers in 7
07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
all three of the above would be great pick-ups and would be welcomed additions to the rangers....in terms of low key pick-ups do you mean trades or signings?

mmmrevolver93
07-16-2010, 11:45 AM
tender an offer sheet to neal from dallas, andy sutton or willie mitchell would be great lower tier signings, bill guerin although getting up there in age is good for 20+ goals and would add to the toughness factor, if we made an offer to demitra guerin is certainly worthy of one. Although it probably wont be considered low key i still think lee stempniak would be a great addition to this team.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm surprised Guerin is leaving the Pens. Is that about money?

I feel like we have plenty of foot soldiers but we need 1 more general on the front line and 1 more general on the back line.

mmmrevolver93
07-16-2010, 11:53 AM
trade for Christian Ehrhoff,

mmmrevolver93
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I feel like we have plenty of foot soldiers but we need 1 more general on the front line and 1 more general on the back line.

Who would you suggest on the front line? lol

liltedspop
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
forget about Kovalchuk I just heard he has signed with the Kings. 90 mill. over 9 yrs.

liltedspop
07-16-2010, 11:57 AM
now Sather is going to move fast on a big deal to improve our top 3 forwards

mmmrevolver93
07-16-2010, 12:18 PM
now Sather is going to move fast on a big deal to improve our top 3 forwards

so much for the rangers 9 years 85 million dollar deal.... I think we can all agree he will try to get a center first... does he go after thorton? richards?carter? spezza? robeiro? .... if we go wingers inginla? stempniak? gagne? neal ectt..
IMO i would look to trade for either thorton or richards either one i really dont care and then sign stempniak to a fair deal.

prospal thorton/richards gaborik
mza/grachev aa stempniak
avery drury callahan
boogs christensen prust

We have a better offensive unit, we are not committing to any long term atrocities, and lets face that third line could do some damage up against other clubs' third lines.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Who would you suggest on the front line? lol

I'd like players like Kovy, Thornton, Speeza, Richards, etc but right now all I can do is hope or speculate. I know Slats is trying to make something happen but I dont know if that is via FA or trade.

mmmrevolver93
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd like players like Kovy, Thornton, Speeza, Richards, etc but right now all I can do is hope or speculate. I know Slats is trying to make something happen but I dont know if that is via FA or trade.

honestly id like to seee thorton and gaborik and then another middle tier guy that can score between 25-30 goals.... stempniak, guerin, hedjuk, neal... guys of that caliber. But nothing more than 5 years or 4 million per.

RangersFan14
07-16-2010, 12:38 PM
What kind of BIG moves do you think Sather will make?

mervinout
07-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Sly i normally agree with what you say, however i don't wan't anymore of these old talents for pure leadership reasons.

What the rangers need is simple, they need less change. The Rangers roster changes far to often, by the time they gel its to late to climb the standings. I'd rather them take a step back for a year, and let the team show what it actually needs for the following season

IU Hoosiers 3
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
What kind of BIG moves do you think Sather will make?

unfortunately, probably no big moves are in store..im just in a state of pessimism with this team but id love a big deal to cheer me up :)

RangersFan14
07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
unfortunately, probably no big moves are in store..im just in a state of pessimism with this team but id love a big deal to cheer me up :)

You never know Sather may pull another trade like he did last year and surprise everyone..

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Sly i normally agree with what you say, however i don't wan't anymore of these old talents for pure leadership reasons.

What the rangers need is simple, they need less change. The Rangers roster changes far to often, by the time they gel its to late to climb the standings. I'd rather them take a step back for a year, and let the team show what it actually needs for the following season

Maybe my wording was misleading. I was not really thinking about leadership. I was thinking in terms of us having enough 30-50 point type guys. We need to add some 90-100 point guys. :)

Isca92
07-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Id be fine with getting Stepan, Grachev, and MZA all in the line up. I don't want to give up Dubi for Spezza/Thorton. Id rather sit on the roster that we have, see what the kids can do, (if he have a terrible season, we get a better draft pick and give the kids experience) and then after the season or the next see how we can fill in to their needs.

Others will be come available in the future, so why jump to fill the roster with guys cause that will block the youth spots.

dashripdot
07-16-2010, 01:12 PM
all three of the above would be great pick-ups and would be welcomed additions to the rangers....in terms of low key pick-ups do you mean trades or signings?

Using my examples, Mueller would be a trade; Abdelkader and Helm are RFAs, I believe, and given the Wings closeness with the cap, likely trades for picks/prospects. I don't think Sather would try an offer sheet, knowing who the Rangers will want to keep within their own system in the next few years and shield from such offers.

dashripdot
07-16-2010, 01:34 PM

He has lost a couple of steps between the time they acquired him and the 2009-10 playoffs. They like him, but don't think he can keep up with Crosby, so he probably won't be re-signed. Word was that Crosby wanted Colby Armstrong back, but the Pens aren't in great shape cap-wise, so they couldn't offer him what he got from the Leafs.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
He has lost a couple of steps between the time they acquired him and the 2009-10 playoffs. They like him, but don't think he can keep up with Crosby, so he probably won't be re-signed. Word was that Crosby wanted Colby Armstrong back, but the Pens aren't in great shape cap-wise, so they couldn't offer him what he got from the Leafs.

Yeah age has a way of doing that to us all....except Mike Gartner. :)

mmmrevolver93
07-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Update: 12:04Pm:

Elliotte Friedman notes that the Rangers may have offered Ilya Kovalchuk a two year deal worth $15 million. ...

dashripdot
07-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Id be fine with getting Stepan, Grachev, and MZA all in the line up. I don't want to give up Dubi for Spezza/Thorton. Id rather sit on the roster that we have, see what the kids can do, (if he have a terrible season, we get a better draft pick and give the kids experience) and then after the season or the next see how we can fill in to their needs.

Others will be come available in the future, so why jump to fill the roster with guys cause that will block the youth spots.

Quandary for the Rangers is figuring out how long it will take to get their best prospects up and running at the NHL level (which, I understand, will require getting NHL experience at some point), while considering the limited time-frame that a talent like Gaborik is available to them (given not just the years left on his contract, but his health history, as well).

dashripdot
07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah age has a way of doing that to us all....except Mike Gartner. :)

Sign him!

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Sign him!

LOL I wouldnt be shocked if Mike Gartner and Reijo Ruotsalainen could still outskate many current players.

ElementCo27
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I have to say that Thornton is a reach because San Jose will not get rid of him. He is probably the best playmaker in the NHL and I can only see us giving up either a lot of youth or our top man, which would defeat the purpose. The Rangers don't need an all-star centerman to help out Gaborik, but someone who can make assists and can fit the 1st line. Dubinsky was supposed to be that, but he belongs on the wing now. It would be nice to just have a defined 1st line center so the lines aren't mixing up so much.

I don't know who would be good for that, but I think that would be the better approach for the Rangers not to lose anyone important.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Interesting possible offer but Kovy wouldnt take it. I think Kovy may end up around 9-10 mill. That is a lot of money in the NHL. In the NBA its not a big deal. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I have to say that Thornton is a reach because San Jose will not get rid of him. He is probably the best playmaker in the NHL and I can only see us giving up either a lot of youth or our top man, which would defeat the purpose. The Rangers don't need an all-star centerman to help out Gaborik, but someone who can make assists and can fit the 1st line. Dubinsky was supposed to be that, but he belongs on the wing now. It would be nice to just have a defined 1st line center so the lines aren't mixing up so much.

I don't know who would be good for that, but I think that would be the better approach for the Rangers not to lose anyone important.

That is why I'd rather Kovy go to the Sharks than to the Kings. If Kovy goes to the Sharks then just maybe Joe becomes available because of his salary. :)

ElementCo27
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
That is why I'd rather Kovy go to the Sharks than to the Kings. If Kovy goes to the Sharks then just maybe Joe becomes available because of his salary. :)

Have the Sharks even shown interest? lol

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Have the Sharks even shown interest? lol

Several reports in the last week said they had but I cant be sure.

apdamico
07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd say make Neal a RFA offer and then work out a trade with Dallas for both Neal and Richards.

The first thing we need to do is sign Staal or include him in the deal mentioned above.

nyrlamonte
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I still think Gagne is our best option. The Flyers have to shed some cap and he looks like the odd man out.

Benefits:

We won't have to give up much (maybe a third round pick or a depth propspect) just b/c the flyers can't really afford to have another salary on their books. They're around 3 mil over and will have 2 mil in cap space if they can trade Gagne (as long as they don't place him on waivers).

He only has one year left on his contract so the risk is minimal and as long as he stays somewhat healthy he can provide the secondary scoring the Rangers desperately need.
(40 goal guy when he can put a full season in).

And lastly, that would pretty much guarantee Redden's contract being buried in the minors.

apdamico
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Speaking of less significant moves, D Potter left the Rangers to sign with Pittsburgh.

I guess when he didn't see his name on the 20 Prospects in 20-Days list, he figured his days where numbered. That and the re-signing of Sauer yesterday!

Isca92
07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Probably figures with Mcdonagh will make the line up this year, and with Eminger as the 7th d, probably figured its time to move on if I want to make it into the NHL.

rocowear21
07-16-2010, 05:32 PM
I was really hoping for a kovi deal or a gagne deal. I really dont want the rangers to turn around right now this year and get a top line center. Dont get me wrong it would be nice but only our top line will score. The same as last year. We need secondary scoring. I really dont mind a player like EC on the top line with Gabs and Kovi on the second iine with AA

SLY WILLIAMS
07-16-2010, 06:20 PM
I still think Gagne is our best option. The Flyers have to shed some cap and he looks like the odd man out.

Benefits:

We won't have to give up much (maybe a third round pick or a depth propspect) just b/c the flyers can't really afford to have another salary on their books. They're around 3 mil over and will have 2 mil in cap space if they can trade Gagne (as long as they don't place him on waivers).

He only has one year left on his contract so the risk is minimal and as long as he stays somewhat healthy he can provide the secondary scoring the Rangers desperately need.
(40 goal guy when he can put a full season in).

And lastly, that would pretty much guarantee Redden's contract being buried in the minors.

I'd offer 2 conditional draft picks and Brashear

First conditional pick=Games

If he plays 70 or more games Philly gets a 3rd round pick
If he plays 60 or more its a 4th round pick
Under 60 its a 5th round pick

Second conditional pick=Goals

If he scores 40 or more Philly gets a 2nd round pick
If he scores 25 or more Philly gets a 3rd round pick
If he scores less than 25 Philly gets a 5th round pick

runnermjr1296
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I'd be shocked if philly traded us Gagne.

bsi
07-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Gagne is going to Tampa, that's my gut feeling.

Redfish
07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I would be o.k. with this being a transitional and development year. Transitional, in that it may take the next 12-15 months to parlay both Roszival and Drury's cap space into new, much more productive players (particularly at the forward position); and it may not be until next February's trade deadline, the earliest, when this can begin to be implemented. And developmental, in that we need for Anisimov and some rookies that can make the club this year to further solidify their NHL prospects, hopefully to include some playoff experience this year.

If Kovy is out of the picture, it may be short-sighted to trade for any upper-tier player that helps this year, but probably is not the key, seasoned guy we want to commit to for the next several years. I view Gagne in particular in this category. Simply executing well on existing personnel (Reden, Roszival and Drury), whether it is via waiver, trade, or both; is a lot to hope for, but it is the most obvious things within our control that can help transform the team. The upcoming UFA/RFA class appears solid, so now is the time to focus on this, in my opinion.

I was sad to see Koivu re-signed for a lengthy contract, and was hoping he would be our prize free-agent signing next year. There are others to consider though (e.g., Chara) so I am very much o.k. with the notion of this being a transitional and developmental year.

Rangers in 7
07-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I'd offer 2 conditional draft picks and Brashear

First conditional pick=Games

If he plays 70 or more games Philly gets a 3rd round pick
If he plays 60 or more its a 4th round pick
Under 60 its a 5th round pick

Second conditional pick=Goals

If he scores 40 or more Philly gets a 2nd round pick
If he scores 25 or more Philly gets a 3rd round pick
If he scores less than 25 Philly gets a 5th round pick

i love it....i think philly would bite....they need the cap space and have no choice

SLY WILLIAMS
07-18-2010, 01:03 PM
i love it....i think philly would bite....they need the cap space and have no choice

It is worth a shot and I think it would be fair to both teams. Instead of either team taking a major risk its spelled out in black and white based on games played and production (goals scored). We also dump Brashears 1 year contract

IkeDavis29
07-20-2010, 01:05 AM
any word on Staal?