PDA

View Full Version : What makes a championship team?

LeWade>Kobe
07-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Okay, this is my argument in a conversation I was having about what makes a championship team with a cavs fan. Please though, I do not want this to be a Lebron vs the world argument whatever just simply agree or disagree and tell me why or why not. The only point I was trying to prove in this argument is that you either need 1-2 other Hall of Famers with you (2010 Heat w/ D Wade and Lebron) or an extremely complete team with 0-1 HOF'er total (2010 Bulls w/ Lebron). I had wanted Lebron to join the bulls and do it playing the same game he has been for the last 7 years, but instead he has pursued more of a Magic Johnson role. Please discuss here what it takes to create a championship team and better yet what it takes to create a dynasty.

Here is a look at the last 30+ years in NBA Championship history.

1980's-
LA Lakers: 80', 82' ,85',87',88' - Abdul Jabar, Magic and Worthy
Boston Celtics: 81', 84', 86' - Bird, McHale and Parrish
Philadelphia 76ers: 83' - Moses Malone and Dr. J
Detroit Pistons: 89' - Dumars and Isiah

1990's-
Chricago Bulls: 91-93' and 96-98' - Jordan, Pippen and Rodman
Houston Rockets: 94' and 95' - Halajuwon, Drexler and Horry
Detroit Pistons: 90' - Dumars and Isiah
San Antonio Spurs: 99' - Duncan and Robinson

2000's-
LA Lakers: 00-02', 09' - Shaq, Kobe, Gasol and Horry
San Antonio Spurs: 03', 05', 07' - Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, Horry, Bowen and Robinson
Detroit Pistons: 04' - Wallace(s), Rip, Chauncey and Prince
Miami Heat: 06' - D Wade and Shaq (again)
Boston Celtics: 08' - KG, Pierce, Allen and Rondo

2010's-
LA Lakers: 10' - Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Bynum etc.

Defense wins championships and you need at least 2 good defenders that can score as well, traditionally at SF (Lebron) and/or SG (D Wade) with a big man to compliment (Bosh). The Bulls were the best dynasty ever besides Russell back in the day and they had two great defenders at SG (Jordan) and SF (Pippen) along with the big man to compliment (Rodman). The only difference I see between that Bulls team and this Heat team is Jordan was better overall than Wade by 4.5 Points a couple REB and maybe 1 Assist in a career (just by the numbers people), Lebron better offensively than Pippen by a large margin and Bosh WAY better on offense than Rodman. Although D Wade and Lebron are slightly worse on D (just slightly, lebron more so) than their counterparts, they make up for it in a big way on offense. While Bosh is absolutely no Rodman on defense or on the boards he still grabs 11 per game while putting up 22-24 points a game (twice what Rodman put up). Every man I just named here is a HOF'er or honorable mention. There are 2 HOF'ers on EVERY winner besides 2004 pistons and 2005/07' Spurs. Although they did not have 2 HOF'ers they were arguably the 2-3 most complete teams out of the last 30 winners.

And you want me to listen to Mr. Charles Barkley the man who has never won an NBA championship in his life? You can question my NBA history knowledge all you want but you can't question D Wade someone who has actually won a championship before.

“When he got older, he tried to team up with (Scottie) Pippen and (Hakeem) Olajuwon. He failed. Why wait until you’re old when you have nothing left in the tank? … There’s just a lot of misconceptions out there about how much talent it takes to win a championship. It’s takes at least two, it takes three to really be a dynasty. That’s what we want to be.”
- Dwayne Wade

Dallas Tx4Life
07-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Definitely some great points here and I think it's nearly impossible to straight up disagree with you. It takes a solid mixture of things, and some things work that don't for others, so it's kinda hard to just say "this is what works" but for the most part... Solid coach, a HOF caliber player or even just a couple All-Stars, nice role players, good fan base (even though that kinda comes with winning), ownership willing to do what it takes, etc... Oh, and another thing... Defense. A run and gun team that doesn't play defense NEVER works out in the end.

tdunk21
07-16-2010, 04:48 AM
i did not read the whole thing....but i will say defense and character win rings

LeWade>Kobe
07-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Definitely some great points here and I think it's nearly impossible to straight up disagree with you. It takes a solid mixture of things, and some things work that don't for others, so it's kinda hard to just say "this is what works" but for the most part... Solid coach, a HOF caliber player or even just a couple All-Stars, nice role players, good fan base (even though that kinda comes with winning), ownership willing to do what it takes, etc... Oh, and another thing... Defense. A run and gun team that doesn't play defense NEVER works out in the end.

Defense is SO key look at the three 3 peats Lakers and Bulls. Amazing defense mixed with HOF Coach and HOF offensive talent as well. The main trend I saw when looking back is that 2 HOF is almost every time in play and almost every time both of those HOF are extremely good on offense AND defense. I don't see too many 1 way HOF on this list please correct me if I'm wrong. Championships are formed with the perfect storm and I think they have a mother f---in hurricane brewing in south beach right now (sorry for the lame play on words)

LeWade>Kobe
07-16-2010, 04:53 AM
i did not read the whole thing....but i will say defense and character win rings

I agree with this add team chemistry and HOF play into the mix and you got yourself a ring. Tim Duncan in your signature... dude played on 2/3 teams in the last 30 years without 2 HOF'ers on the roster. Those teams had amazing chemistry, great coaching and great defense, along with a hall of famer in duncan. There is your recipe for a ring or multiple rings in this case.

lakerboy
07-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Heat will win the championship sooner or later, no doubt about that. It's just that the legacy of the players, LBJ to be specific, will forever be tainted. Usually, great players try to strive and win a championship in their own team, and in their own terms. You're right, thats what Charles Barkley did. Why didn't Barkley leave when he was 25? Because he wanted to try to win it on his own. LBJ, at a very young age, has already given up on that.

Heat will win a championship, maybe two, but Wade, LBJ, and Bosh will not even come close to the legacies of Kobe and Michael. Not in the same breath.

I can come up with a LBJ vs Wade argument, and Heat fans will go crazy. You all can't even agree on whos team it is.

lakerboy
07-16-2010, 05:02 AM
BTW, i am not saying the Heat will not be remembered as champions. They will be! But if they want to be compared to the greatest of them all, they should have done it how the best did it. Winning in their own team. If Wade wins, it'll still be brought up. This isn't his team anymore, is it? Answer me that question.

tdunk21
07-16-2010, 05:02 AM
I agree with this add team chemistry and HOF play into the mix and you got yourself a ring. Tim Duncan in your signature... dude played on 2/3 teams in the last 30 years without 2 HOF'ers on the roster. Those teams had amazing chemistry, great coaching and great defense, along with a hall of famer in duncan. There is your recipe for a ring or multiple rings in this case.

having good role players, good coach and a bit of good luck

tdunk21
07-16-2010, 05:03 AM
BTW, i am not saying the Heat will not be remembered as champions. They will be! But if they want to be compared to the greatest of them all, they should have done it how the best did it. Winning in their own team. If Wade wins, it'll still be brought up. This isn't his team anymore, is it? Answer me that question.

they wont be in the GOAT discussion....

lakerboy
07-16-2010, 05:06 AM
they wont be in the GOAT discussion....

Exactly. They'll be up there with Isiah and the bad boys, or at best, Magic Kareem and Worthy.

IMO, they won't even be like Shaq and Kobe.

tdunk21
07-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Exactly. They'll be up there with Isiah and the bad boys, or at best, Magic Kareem and Worthy.

IMO, they won't even be like Shaq and Kobe.

the new big 3 tarnished their own legacies...

LeWade>Kobe
07-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Heat will win the championship sooner or later, no doubt about that. It's just that the legacy of the players, LBJ to be specific, will forever be tainted. Usually, great players try to strive and win a championship in their own team, and in their own terms. You're right, thats what Charles Barkley did. Why didn't Barkley leave when he was 25? Because he wanted to try to win it on his own. LBJ, at a very young age, has already given up on that.

Heat will win a championship, maybe two, but Wade, LBJ, and Bosh will not even come close to the legacies of Kobe and Michael. Not in the same breathe.

I can come up with a LBJ vs Wade argument, and Heat fans will go crazy. You all can't even agree on whos team it is.

Thank you, sir for being the first Laker fan on these boards to actually hear my out and read past my username (which I have requested to be changed because of just that). I appreciate the post man. I do however have one objection. This new team has played 0 NBA games together so I think everyone should hault the tarnished legacy talks. Tell me right now if in the 5-10 years these guys will be together if all goes as planned for them and they win, say 6 rings equalling michael and pushing D Wade to 7, 1 above Michael, and lebron to tie michael can you really say then that their legacy is tarnished? I understand this is a complete what if, but really man. I do think this team is very comparable to the magic, kareem and worthy lakers but I think personally (not a heat fan) they will win just as many or more rings than them. Also think LBJ is a better basketball player than magic by a pretty good margin defensively especially and believe he will average a triple double in a season before his career is over. Thoughts on anything I just said?

lakerboy
07-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Thank you, sir for being the first Laker fan on these boards to actually hear my out and read past my username (which I have requested to be changed because of just that). I appreciate the post man. I do however have one objection. This new team has played 0 NBA games together so I think everyone should hault the tarnished legacy talks. Tell me right now if in the 5-10 years these guys will be together if all goes as planned for them and they win, say 6 rings equalling michael and pushing D Wade to 7, 1 above Michael, and lebron to tie michael can you really say then that their legacy is tarnished? I understand this is a complete what if, but really man. I do think this team is very comparable to the magic, kareem and worthy lakers but I think personally (not a heat fan) they will win just as many or more rings than them. Also think LBJ is a better basketball player than magic by a pretty good margin defensively especially and believe he will average a triple double in a season before his career is over. Thoughts on anything I just said?

Let's take the number higher and let's say Wade wins 8, LBJ wins 7, while MJ has 6, and Kobe only has 5.

However, LBJ has 5 championship MVPs, Wade has 3 (one in 05). Who is the better player in your team? and are both LBJ and Wade individually better than Michael?

LBJ fans will argue LBJ is better, because he has more finals MVP. Dwade fans will argue that he is better because he already won without Lebron.

Michael Jordan won both more MVPS, and more championships on his own.

That makes him better.

What I mean is, even Heat fans among themselves won't be able to determine who the Heat MVP is.. let alone say who is better than Michael/Kobe. While you guys are using your own standards to justify who is better than the two (Lebron or Wade), based on the standards you use in your own argument, neither will already be better than MJ.

It's the whole Shaq/Kobe thing you argued before. Now the tables are turned, and it's on LBJ/Wade.

Don't worry. They'll get at least around 2 championships before it is said and done.

tdunk21
07-16-2010, 05:31 AM

with the way things are changing within the franchises, do u really think winning 6 or more rings in next 10 years is possible for 1 team.....its just a pipe dream...atmost 2 or 3 rings

thenaj17
07-16-2010, 05:45 AM

You do make some very good points. I agree that LeBron in terms of ability is 1 of the best players in history and i do believe is better than Magic (sorry to Magic fans, just my opinion and i'm a Laker fan). He's as fast as anyone in the history of the league, he can hop like anyone and is almost as good a passer as Magic or Bird. BUT...i do think his legacy will be effected and won't have had the same impact on the game as those guys had due to playing with an equal (almost) player in DWade, another certain HOF and Bosh, a perennial all star. Kobe didn't get credit until the last few years when he was the main man even though he is 1 of the most talented players to ever play the game. LeBron and Wade are 1a and 1b (whichever way round you choose) and therefore LeBron will never win a ring as the main man or ever be considered as potential GOAT.

On the other hand, a lot of respect to all 3 of them sacrificing money to pretty much guarantee a ring or more. In a world full of greed and league full of overpaid half effort players, kudos for taking a minor pay cut.

mlisica19
07-16-2010, 05:58 AM
There is no doubt the tripod in miami looks to be an unstoppable force. But make no mistake, looks can be decieving. Your trying to compare the bulls dynasty to miami team.

Jordan is far better and at his dyansty time more mature/wiser than anyone on miami. Position comparision, wade is no where near jordans stature. Wade is not half the man jordan was on defense, nor the man he was on offense. jordan had the composure of allen, the focus of bryant, the attitude of garnett and much more. He did not wina championship until he was 28 because he had no help, he had no coach and he was immature thinking he was superman. Phil came in and changed it all, and he made the greatest player of that era into the GOAT.
Obviously on just a comparision of the two individual players. James and pippen, the skill and talent goes to James but its not a far margin. With no Jordan or rodman, pippen led the bulls to the playoffs 2 years. But for the teams sake, his skill wasn't of the greatest importance. He was more than okay with being in jordans shadows in the eyes of many. He did his job, he played tough. Can lebron james go into miami for a full season, then into playoffs being alongside 2 other big names? James just had an espn announcement, sells millions of merchandise and loves his name in the media. CAN HE REALLY put up with it?

The best part of the duo was that they both had no problem doing what was best for their team. They worked in a well practiced and well thought of system and made each other better.

And do not compare Bosh to Rodman, whatever amount of points or stats bosh gets more than rodman does not matter. By the time rodman came to the bulls he had won 2 rings and 2 def mvps. He was able to shut down, not limit--- SHUT DOWN the best players in any position. Rodman worked out 24/7, he went to hell and back, he studied his *** off and under a great coach in detroit and chicago his true talents came out. We all know rodman was a reboundming machine (he wasn't even their biggest guy) but he was able to shut down players like magic, bird and even limit MaLone who had won the mvp that year in the series. Bosh may be better offensively but we just talked about the importance of defense, and if bosh is only their to do the same job wade and james are then there is no orginazation.

and between pippen, rodman, jordan they weren't asking for max contracts and were left with enough room to add a solid bench of all around smart and athletic guys includings some role players.

The lakers look more like the bulls.

The same coach, if not wiser.
Kobe may not be as skilled as jordan but he has the warrior in him. He has the focus and the on the court coaching mentality and leadership. Go watch spike lee documentary on kobe and ull respect him so much more.
They have the bad ***** mof* who is a great defender who just don't care and gets the job done.
They have a duo with gasol, but the best part is that they have a deciding factor in either fisher or bynum and often Odom.

The lakers can win another one, cuz they have the tools to wina a championship.
It takes dedication, focus, leadership, experience, coach, defense, system and statergy.

While lebron wade and bosh work on their entrances for each game, or talk about what jerseys to wear for that game. Kobe will be watching hours of film on the playing style of wade and james.

NYKalltheway
07-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Also depends who you're facing.

USMCLaker
07-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Okay, this is my argument in a conversation I was having about what makes a championship team with a cavs fan. Please though, I do not want this to be a Lebron vs the world argument whatever just simply agree or disagree and tell me why or why not. The only point I was trying to prove in this argument is that you either need 1-2 other Hall of Famers with you (2010 Heat w/ D Wade and Lebron) or an extremely complete team with 0-1 HOF'er total (2010 Bulls w/ Lebron). I had wanted Lebron to join the bulls and do it playing the same game he has been for the last 7 years, but instead he has pursued more of a Magic Johnson role. Please discuss here what it takes to create a championship team and better yet what it takes to create a dynasty.

Here is a look at the last 30+ years in NBA Championship history.

1980's-
LA Lakers: 80', 82' ,85',87',88' - Abdul Jabar, Magic and Worthy
Boston Celtics: 81', 84', 86' - Bird, McHale and Parrish
Philadelphia 76ers: 83' - Moses Malone and Dr. J
Detroit Pistons: 89' - Dumars and Isiah

1990's-
Chricago Bulls: 91-93' and 96-98' - Jordan, Pippen and Rodman
Houston Rockets: 94' and 95' - Halajuwon, Drexler and Horry
Detroit Pistons: 90' - Dumars and Isiah
San Antonio Spurs: 99' - Duncan and Robinson

2000's-
LA Lakers: 00-02', 09' - Shaq, Kobe, Gasol and Horry
San Antonio Spurs: 03', 05', 07' - Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, Horry, Bowen and Robinson
Detroit Pistons: 04' - Wallace(s), Rip, Chauncey and Prince
Miami Heat: 06' - D Wade and Shaq (again)
Boston Celtics: 08' - KG, Pierce, Allen and Rondo

2010's-
LA Lakers: 10' - Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Bynum etc.

Defense wins championships and you need at least 2 good defenders that can score as well, traditionally at SF (Lebron) and/or SG (D Wade) with a big man to compliment (Bosh). The Bulls were the best dynasty ever besides Russell back in the day and they had two great defenders at SG (Jordan) and SF (Pippen) along with the big man to compliment (Rodman). The only difference I see between that Bulls team and this Heat team is Jordan was better overall than Wade by 4.5 Points a couple REB and maybe 1 Assist in a career (just by the numbers people), Lebron better offensively than Pippen by a large margin and Bosh WAY better on offense than Rodman. Although D Wade and Lebron are slightly worse on D (just slightly, lebron more so) than their counterparts, they make up for it in a big way on offense. While Bosh is absolutely no Rodman on defense or on the boards he still grabs 11 per game while putting up 22-24 points a game (twice what Rodman put up). Every man I just named here is a HOF'er or honorable mention. There are 2 HOF'ers on EVERY winner besides 2004 pistons and 2005/07' Spurs. Although they did not have 2 HOF'ers they were arguably the 2-3 most complete teams out of the last 30 winners.

And you want me to listen to Mr. Charles Barkley the man who has never won an NBA championship in his life? You can question my NBA history knowledge all you want but you can't question D Wade someone who has actually won a championship before.

“When he got older, he tried to team up with (Scottie) Pippen and (Hakeem) Olajuwon. He failed. Why wait until you’re old when you have nothing left in the tank? … There’s just a lot of misconceptions out there about how much talent it takes to win a championship. It’s takes at least two, it takes three to really be a dynasty. That’s what we want to be.”
- Dwayne Wade

Dr. Jerry Buss.

LeWade>Kobe
07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Let's take the number higher and let's say Wade wins 8, LBJ wins 7, while MJ has 6, and Kobe only has 5.

However, LBJ has 5 championship MVPs, Wade has 3 (one in 05). Who is the better player in your team? and are both LBJ and Wade individually better than Michael?

LBJ fans will argue LBJ is better, because he has more finals MVP. Dwade fans will argue that he is better because he already won without Lebron.

Michael Jordan won both more MVPS, and more championships on his own.

That makes him better.

What I mean is, even Heat fans among themselves won't be able to determine who the Heat MVP is.. let alone say who is better than Michael/Kobe. While you guys are using your own standards to justify who is better than the two (Lebron or Wade), based on the standards you use in your own argument, neither will already be better than MJ.

It's the whole Shaq/Kobe thing you argued before. Now the tables are turned, and it's on LBJ/Wade.

Don't worry. They'll get at least around 2 championships before it is said and done.

Good stuff I agree with a lot of that. We will really need to see how it plays out but if Lebron is as good as I think he can be we may have to re-visit this after a season or 2. I really think the man can average a triple double in at least one season with this team and if he does so will be not only the best player/MVP of his team, but the best player/MVP of the league for many more years to come. They don't have a PG to put up the assist numbers to take away from Lebron and they will need Lebron to help out on the boards big time. I understand that Kobe is a different kind of player assigned to a different kind of role to an extent, but we have yet to see exactly what LBJ can do with talent around him through an NBA season. I like you man you use fu--in logic unlike a lot of people I've talked to on here. I'm going to add you if you don't mind so we can keep in touch throughout this season and beyond to check back on this.

You do make some very good points. I agree that LeBron in terms of ability is 1 of the best players in history and i do believe is better than Magic (sorry to Magic fans, just my opinion and i'm a Laker fan). He's as fast as anyone in the history of the league, he can hop like anyone and is almost as good a passer as Magic or Bird. BUT...i do think his legacy will be effected and won't have had the same impact on the game as those guys had due to playing with an equal (almost) player in DWade, another certain HOF and Bosh, a perennial all star. Kobe didn't get credit until the last few years when he was the main man even though he is 1 of the most talented players to ever play the game. LeBron and Wade are 1a and 1b (whichever way round you choose) and therefore LeBron will never win a ring as the main man or ever be considered as potential GOAT.

On the other hand, a lot of respect to all 3 of them sacrificing money to pretty much guarantee a ring or more. In a world full of greed and league full of overpaid half effort players, kudos for taking a minor pay cut.

I really like that they joined up, not that it was my first choice that would have been my 2nd favorite team, the bulls, but I think it was very unselfish of d wade and lebron not so much bosh he's just a follower. I like what they have put around these guys and if they can land Barnes later today things will be looking pretty good. I'm excited to see how this unfolds.

There is no doubt the tripod in miami looks to be an unstoppable force. But make no mistake, looks can be decieving. Your trying to compare the bulls dynasty to miami team.

Jordan is far better and at his dyansty time more mature/wiser than anyone on miami. Position comparision, wade is no where near jordans stature. Wade is not half the man jordan was on defense, nor the man he was on offense. jordan had the composure of allen, the focus of bryant, the attitude of garnett and much more. He did not wina championship until he was 28 because he had no help, he had no coach and he was immature thinking he was superman. Phil came in and changed it all, and he made the greatest player of that era into the GOAT.
Obviously on just a comparision of the two individual players. James and pippen, the skill and talent goes to James but its not a far margin. With no Jordan or rodman, pippen led the bulls to the playoffs 2 years. But for the teams sake, his skill wasn't of the greatest importance. He was more than okay with being in jordans shadows in the eyes of many. He did his job, he played tough. Can lebron james go into miami for a full season, then into playoffs being alongside 2 other big names? James just had an espn announcement, sells millions of merchandise and loves his name in the media. CAN HE REALLY put up with it?

The best part of the duo was that they both had no problem doing what was best for their team. They worked in a well practiced and well thought of system and made each other better.

And do not compare Bosh to Rodman, whatever amount of points or stats bosh gets more than rodman does not matter. By the time rodman came to the bulls he had won 2 rings and 2 def mvps. He was able to shut down, not limit--- SHUT DOWN the best players in any position. Rodman worked out 24/7, he went to hell and back, he studied his *** off and under a great coach in detroit and chicago his true talents came out. We all know rodman was a reboundming machine (he wasn't even their biggest guy) but he was able to shut down players like magic, bird and even limit MaLone who had won the mvp that year in the series. Bosh may be better offensively but we just talked about the importance of defense, and if bosh is only their to do the same job wade and james are then there is no orginazation.

and between pippen, rodman, jordan they weren't asking for max contracts and were left with enough room to add a solid bench of all around smart and athletic guys includings some role players.

The lakers look more like the bulls.

The same coach, if not wiser.
Kobe may not be as skilled as jordan but he has the warrior in him. He has the focus and the on the court coaching mentality and leadership. Go watch spike lee documentary on kobe and ull respect him so much more.
They have the bad ***** mof* who is a great defender who just don't care and gets the job done.
They have a duo with gasol, but the best part is that they have a deciding factor in either fisher or bynum and often Odom.

The lakers can win another one, cuz they have the tools to wina a championship.
It takes dedication, focus, leadership, experience, coach, defense, system and statergy.

While lebron wade and bosh work on their entrances for each game, or talk about what jerseys to wear for that game. Kobe will be watching hours of film on the playing style of wade and james.

Bosh is NO Rodman on D or the Boards whatsoever. I completely understand what you are saying there. I only pointed out that he puts up twice as many points as Rodman because there is not much else of an upside from Bosh to Rodman other than that. This is a very different squad than that of the 90's Bulls, but I think they have the defensive tools in D Wade and Lebron to do things similar to that of the Bulls when it comes to winning. Love it man keep all of this coming I'm hearing a lot of positive input here.

LeWade>Kobe
07-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Dr. Jerry Buss.

Genius #2 next to West. Or #1 however you Laker fans want to swing it. Either way Pat Riley is onto something as well right now so like I said I a so excited to see how this unfolds. I have to deal with so many Laker fans I live in California and my best friend is a Laker fan so I know your guys arguments up and down. I love an intelligent sports conversation especially with a Laker fan who knows what is what in the world of basketball. Glad you guys are on here and good luck this year, it will be great basketball all year!

USMCLaker
07-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Genius #2 next to West. Or #1 however you Laker fans want to swing it. Either way Pat Riley is onto something as well right now so like I said I a so excited to see how this unfolds. I have to deal with so many Laker fans I live in California and my best friend is a Laker fan so I know your guys arguments up and down. I love an intelligent sports conversation especially with a Laker fan who knows what is what in the world of basketball. Glad you guys are on here and good luck this year, it will be great basketball all year!

Riley has a great basketball for sure so it will be interesting.