PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain how Miami has so much money to keep signing all of these FA's???

thevoon
07-15-2010, 06:06 PM
I have a pretty good understanding of the NBA salary cap rules and understand many teams go over the CAP and pay the luxury tax, but I've never seen it like this...with what the Heat have done.....and they aren't even done yet.
:confused:

REALLYYYYY?
07-15-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a pretty good understanding of the NBA salary cap rules and understand many teams go over the CAP and pay the luxury tax, but I've never seen it like this...with what the Heat have done.....and they aren't even done yet.

they are filling up their roster with players who feel the need to buy a championship by taking a paycut.

justinnum1
07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
they are filling up their roster with players who feel the need to buy a championship by taking a paycut.

:facepalm:

HT9Canada
07-15-2010, 06:19 PM
and they can go over the cap if they sign players to a minimum contract which they will start doing soon, not sure if they have/get the MLE this year anymore tho

Chief Smoke
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Forget about the Oil in The Water, What about the hate in the Air...

BAMF
07-15-2010, 06:23 PM

REALLYYYYY?
07-15-2010, 06:25 PM

do you disagree with both me and your sig?

johnnyswimm
07-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Guess what its not going to work the chemistry will not be there your going to see this as one of the biggest busts of all time, you ever here the expression to many chefs in the kitchen. also do you think these vets are just gonna let these youngings come in and take the starting spot? i think there is to much hype around this, it was stupid of lebron to even mention " not one not two not three not four or five or six" seven championships in a row. Come on now you couldnt even win one in cleveland and lets face it they are no celtics, back when they won 8 in a row, they need to get over themselves at least bird, jordan, or magic didnt need to rape all the free agents away from other teams.

Chronz
07-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Thats why Wade-James-Bosh took the pay cuts fellas. So its big 3 plus shooters and defenders and not BIG+SRUBS

Raidaz4Life
07-15-2010, 06:28 PM

You clearly do not have a good understanding of the NBA salary cap or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Its not like the Heat have done anything magical, they've simply used the cap space, that they manufactured, efficiently.

Purple&Gold24
07-15-2010, 06:32 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

FarOutIos
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM

A better question. How much is the Heat's payroll and how much is the Lakers?

jackdawson
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
you clearly do not have a good understanding of the nba salary cap or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Its not like the heat have done anything magical, they've simply used the cap space, that they manufactured, efficiently.

this.

Sly Guy
07-15-2010, 06:36 PM

what's with the facepalm....it's true!

Cano4prez
07-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Pat Riley

GeekInThePink
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
..magic?

Oh wait, that's the team they'll be eliminated by in the playoffs

Iodine
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Thats why Wade-James-Bosh took the pay cuts fellas. So its big 3 plus shooters and defenders and not BIG+SRUBS
Chronz! :love:

RVN671
07-15-2010, 06:40 PM

VETS taking huuuuge paycuts to play for championship. They'll eventually be hit with the $ for $ lux tax (but not by a whole lot -- kudos to the front office for managing the $ well).
Also, they're all getting comittals from these vets AND THEN negotiating the salaries alltogether to save for this year at least. They still need 4 guys or so to fill the min. requirement for a team.

Wade
Chalmers
Bron
Bosh
Miller
Haslem
Ilgauskus
Howard

possibles:
- Rookies - Pittman, Da'Sean, Varnado
- Anthony
- Rasual
- Barnes

Beengully26
07-15-2010, 06:47 PM
forget about the oil in the water, what about the hate in the air...

lol

plpfctn
07-15-2010, 06:47 PM
don't worry. the players the heat signed are scrubs anyway. Z can barely walk let alone play basketball.

Bryrob58
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

OP, Welcome to PSD

Niro
07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Exceptions

there you go

DCSportsIsPain
07-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Nobody here is familiar with the Bird Exception?

Shaddix
07-15-2010, 07:14 PM
The big 3 lies in boston, get your own damn nickname

daleja424
07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
the biggER three?

cheetos185
07-15-2010, 07:35 PM

after the team goes over cap they can still sign players who will take vet min deals salaries depend how many years you played in the league

LA_Raiders
07-15-2010, 07:39 PM

lol

FNM BOY
07-15-2010, 07:44 PM
hahah the hate on Miami wont stop....first its "you guy got 3 super stars but how u gonna build a bench...cant win with no bench???"...now its "where is Miami getting all this money from to sign these other players"....LOLOL....haters go from story to story :D...whas the next topic...oh they won 15 str8... but they cant do nothinmuch in the playoffs LOLOLOL

baseballguy247
07-15-2010, 08:10 PM
i was unaware that there are so many heat fans. looks like there are more heat fans than any fans in the nba. :no:

baseballguy247
07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
the ny post just reported pat Ewing is coming out of retirement to join the heat:laugh2:

oval57sanch
07-15-2010, 08:13 PM
No big 3 at all, Bosh is nowhere near Bron and Wade

td0tsfinest
07-15-2010, 08:22 PM

scrubs?

But ye I agree with you. Bosh,Wade and Lebron taking cuts definitely helped the heat.

Pauleboman
07-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Pat Riley

This

I dont know but it seems fixed to me!!Its unfair and the Heat fans know it..

Bryrob58
07-15-2010, 08:42 PM
No big 3 at all, Bosh is nowhere near Bron and Wade

Bosh went from overrated to underrated. People that think he's less than a top 25 (I would say top 20...) player in the league are dillusional. The Heat's big three is just as much as a big three as Boston's.

I don't like it, it's just the way it is.

JOSKOMANG4
07-16-2010, 11:16 AM
The signings of Lebron James & CHris Bosh became trades!!!!.. therefore they weren't FA Signings

Lebron James was traded for a Trade Exception, 2 1st rd picks , & 2 2nd rd picks.

Chris Bosh was traded for a Trade Exception, 1 1st rd pick & 1 2nd rd pick.

B/c of this, Pat Riley gained back a MLE(result was Mike Miller), Bi-annual Exception, and had the bird rights to all of his free agents from last year's team(U.Haslem, etc...)

To add, any team can add players to fill a roster under the veteran's minimum.

Wade_County
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
The signings of Lebron James & CHris Bosh became trades!!!!.. therefore they weren't FA Signings

Lebron James was traded for a Trade Exception, 2 1st rd picks , & 2 2nd rd picks.

B/c of this, Pat Riley gained back a MLE(result was Mike Miller), Bi-annual Exception, and had the bird rights to all of his free agents from last year's team(U.Haslem, etc...)

also they can over the cap to resign Joel Anthony.

Since Miller offical signed yesterday Miami can now start signing players to MIN contracts since there at the CAP now. Expect Z and Howard to offical sign today.

tking07
07-16-2010, 11:46 AM
after the team goes over cap they can still sign players who will take vet min deals salaries depend how many years you played in the league

I love your sig! Miami is a pathetic sports city...

TheTakeOver24
07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I love your sig! Miami is a pathetic sports city...

hi hater :silly:

Da Knicks
07-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Guess what its not going to work the chemistry will not be there your going to see this as one of the biggest busts of all time, you ever here the expression to many chefs in the kitchen. also do you think these vets are just gonna let these youngings come in and take the starting spot? i think there is to much hype around this, it was stupid of lebron to even mention " not one not two not three not four or five or six" seven championships in a row. Come on now you couldnt even win one in cleveland and lets face it they are no celtics, back when they won 8 in a row, they need to get over themselves at least" bird, jordan, or magic didnt need to rape all the free agents away from other teams."

What nba did you watch in the 80s and 90s the celtics and bulls took all the good players and the lakers have always done that.:confused:

LakerfaninKY
07-16-2010, 12:19 PM

I actually had the same question as the thread title. Too bad you have to wade through 3 pages of meaningless trash talk to find someone who actually knew the answer above. It's a genius move by Riles I will admit! BTW, I saw that Penny Hardaway - yes, Penny Hardaway - is now wanting to unretire and play for Miami LOL.

sep11ie
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Heat fans have turned into the new Bulls Fans.

Magic Bean Fury
07-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Joskomang4 is incorrect, Miami has no exceptions and doesn't get them back because of sign and trades. The benefit of sign and trades is that the team losing the player gets something instead of nothing (In baseball, the team losing the player automatically gets cash and picks, not the case in the NBA). The team gaining the free agent can sign them for six years instead of the maximum five years otherwise. Also, yearly raises are 10.5% instead of 8% allowing the team to make the first year salary lower and still pay them similiar amounts over the life of their contract (as was done with LeBron, Wade and bosh). He is correct about vet mins. You can fill out your roster with minimum salaries for up to two year contracts and draft pick signings that don't count against the cap.

Magic Bean Fury
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
NBA salary cap - 58.044 mil
---------------------------------
wade - 14 mil
bosh - 14.5 mil
lebron - 14.5 mil
chlamers - 847,000
miller - roughly 5 mil
haslem - roughly 4 mil
-----------------------------
leaves 5.197 mil and then minimum salaries and draft picks

DITKA IS DRIVIN
07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Pat Riley blows all of his superiors.

Lakeshow86
07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
there are a bunch exceptions to the salary cap. You have the Midlevel exception. which i believe went to Miller. You have bird rights on current players . Thats why they got Haslem i believe. and the vets minimum. Thats how they got Big Z.

Magic Bean Fury
07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Lakeshow86 check your facts. Teams over the cap entering free agency are the only ones who get the mle, and ble. They lost haslem's bird rights when they renounced him to sign the three.

Magic Bean Fury
07-16-2010, 01:15 PM
NBA minimum salaries are exceptions that everyone get and the amount increases with years of service. You can go over the cap with these signings

Magic Bean Fury
07-16-2010, 01:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Excellent websites to explain the many rules of a soft cap.

xabial
07-16-2010, 01:18 PM
They traded 2008 #2 draft pick Beasley for nearly nothing. (Just a swap of 1st round draft picks with Minny in the future), and a 2nd rounder. They needed role players to compliment Their "3 kings". THe 5M they cleared trading Beasley they signed Mike Miller who i believe is a perfect signing, and fits the team better then beasley. Haslem took a 14M Paycut which was just enough for miami to sign him to fit the current salary cap. Say what you want, this team is getting stacked lol.