PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Lakers the #1 NBA Franchise

JEbin
07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't think anybody has posted this yet. I think this is almost a given. A good read and some good fuel for those barroom arguments with celtics fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FranchiseRankings2010-Lakers

1. LOS ANGELES LAKERS: 80.2 POINTS PER SEASON (1947-2010)
Wins: 3,027
Playoff wins: 426
Series wins: 106
Titles: 16
All-Stars: 127
Best player: Magic Johnson
Best coach: Phil Jackson
Best team: 1971-72 (69-13, won NBA title)
Intangibles: +150. Endless stream of superstars -- on the court and in the seats.

Magic. Kareem. The Logo. Kobe. Shaq. When it comes to superstars, the Lakers are so far out in front of everybody else it's not even funny -- their all-time starting five would crush any other team's; in fact, it might be better than that of the rest of the league's put together. So star-studded is their legacy that I left Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and George Mikan off my five-man team that opened this paragraph, also neglecting the likes of James Worthy, Bob McAdoo and Gail Goodrich.

And those big names won, too. Although the Celtics have more championships, the Lakers have more of everything else -- wins, playoff wins, playoff series wins and conference titles. About the only thing that hurts L.A. in the all-time rankings is the penalty for relocating from Minnesota to Los Angeles in the 1950s.

The story begins with the Mikan years up north, where he led Minneapolis to five championships in six seasons in the formative years of the NBA. As the league's first dominant big man, he established something of a tradition.

FRANCHISE HISTORY

* Los Angeles Lakers (1960-Present)
* Minneapolis Lakers (1948-60)

Since then, the Lakers have almost always had at least one monstrous big man -- Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Pau Gasol -- and one electrifying perimeter star to go with him (Magic, Jerry West, Baylor, Kobe).

About the only thing the Lakers haven't been able to do is best the Celtics head-to-head. In 11 meetings against Boston in the Finals, L.A. has prevailed just three times. In that regard, Baylor's Minneapolis team got the ball rolling in 1958-59 in the team's last season before heading west, and in the '60s, Chamberlain and West were foiled by the Celtics five times.

Ultimately, those Lakers broke through with a 69-13 season in 1971-72 that featured a 33-game winning streak -- still a record for North American pro team sports -- to win the team's first title in L.A.

After a brief lull in the late '70s, they would get five more rings when Magic arrived to join forces with Kareem. Although there was one more painful loss to Boston interposed -- a seven-game defeat in 1984 -- L.A. avenged it by becoming the first team in nearly two decades to repeat as champs, winning in 1987 and 1988. A hamstring injury to Magic Johnson in the Finals the next year derailed the Lakers' quest for a three-peat, but they would get one a decade and a half later after Phil Jackson came to Tinseltown to guide Shaq and Kobe.

That team provided plenty of last-second excitement -- most notably the alley-oop from Kobe to Shaq that cemented a Game 7 conference finals comeback win over Portland in 2000 -- and produced one of the most dominant playoff runs in history with a 15-1 romp through the field in 2001.

Amazingly, the franchise has missed the playoffs only five times in its 62 years. The Lakers, who have played in seven Finals in the new century, are now only one title behind the hated Celtics after defending their title in 2010 with a dramatic seven-game win over Boston.

TboneM3
07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Yes Boston has more rings, but this business, like any other, is one of "what have you done for me lately?"

The last 30 years have been a Lakers party.

Raidaz4Life
07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Old news...

o.reams2425
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=TboneM3;14147320]Yes Boston has more rings, but this business, like any other, is one of "what have you done for me lately?"

Boston has 1, just 1 more ring the LA. and that wont be for long. This is a hands down thread. It should be about why is everyone still sayin Magic is better then Kobe? Did they forget Kobe is still, not only playing but winning? He's on pace to be the all time leading scorer. (thanks to Lebron leaving, he will have that record for a long time.) And now with the west so weak, has a cake walk to the finals. Kobe, greatest Laker ever!!!

o.reams2425
07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
If Kobe finishes tied with Jordan ring wise but is the all-time leading scorer, does that make him better then Mike???

LA_Raiders
07-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Nice... LA #1

The Raven
07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Rightfully in first place

jazzkiller24
07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
If Kobe finishes tied with Jordan ring wise but is the all-time leading scorer, does that make him better then Mike???

according to some MJ fans, there is NOTHING kobe can do to be considered better. so even if he breaks kareems record and russells record, he still isn't better. :confused:

i think that if he gets 6, then there is no legitimate argument to say mj's better. kobe was/is better in pure basketball skills already, so the only thing mj had was the rings. but take that away, kobe is GOAT!

Iron24th
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
What a winning franchise we support!

We have a F great team! :clap:

DayZ
07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
This is an old article. But thank's for posting.

o.reams2425
07-16-2010, 10:40 AM
The new thread should be about the Kobe and Mike discussion. Not comparison but what else must Kobe do to pass Mike. not inculding person/ego rewards like the mvp. There just too many Kobe haters fot that.

xbrackattackx
07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
The new thread should be about the Kobe and Mike discussion. Not comparison but what else must Kobe do to pass Mike. not inculding person/ego rewards like the mvp. There just too many Kobe haters fot that.

That discussion has been on here way to much.

Bruno
07-16-2010, 09:09 PM
The Lakers have dominated since the 1980s. The bulk of Bostons titles came when there were eight teams in the entire league

Since the modern era (1980):

Lakers- 10
Celtics-4

Not even close. Boston isn't even in the top three since 1980, they're behind LA, SA, and Chicago.

kid24
07-16-2010, 10:35 PM
no doubt lakers are the best nba team in history we are the finals more than half the time. are player out rank any team by far. the lakers have proven if your a big time free agent and want to win a ring you come to la and do it you certainly wouldn't go to the heat. and if your drafted by the laker and your a super star you never ever leave. because we are the best period. bar none

hugepatsfan
07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
The Lakers have dominated since the 1980s. The bulk of Bostons titles came when there were eight teams in the entire league

Since the modern era (1980):

Lakers- 10
Celtics-4

Not even close. Boston isn't even in the top three since 1980, they're behind LA, SA, and Chicago.

You can't just wipe out an era of basketball.

ANd there is more to a franchise than just what ESPN listed. What about the first all-black starting 5? What about the way Auerbach revolutionized the fast break? Those things have had timeless impacts on the game. When Kobe (a black man) dunks on a fastbreak, the Celtics played a big part in that happening. There's so much more to an organization that what is listed. Based on what they counted, LA/MIN is better. But that leaves out so much crucial stuff in a franchise.

BobSagetSucks
07-16-2010, 11:43 PM
celtics were numba 1 in the 20th century, but LA is numba 1 in the 21st century

blue bleeder09
07-17-2010, 12:01 AM
yeah but coming from ESPN ,kinda does'nt mean much.. shouldnt they be covering their boy lebron and gettn ready for another stupid *** special:facepalm:

show34
07-17-2010, 12:02 AM
i don't think anybody has posted this yet. I think this is almost a given. A good read and some good fuel for those barroom arguments with celtics fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=franchiserankings2010-lakers

1. Los angeles lakers: 80.2 points per season (1947-2010)
wins: 3,027
playoff wins: 426
series wins: 106
titles: 16
all-stars: 127
best player: Magic johnson
best coach: Phil jackson
best team: 1971-72 (69-13, won nba title)
intangibles: +150. Endless stream of superstars -- on the court and in the seats.

Magic. Kareem. The logo. Kobe. Shaq. When it comes to superstars, the lakers are so far out in front of everybody else it's not even funny -- their all-time starting five would crush any other team's; in fact, it might be better than that of the rest of the league's put together. So star-studded is their legacy that i left wilt chamberlain, elgin baylor and george mikan off my five-man team that opened this paragraph, also neglecting the likes of james worthy, bob mcadoo and gail goodrich.

And those big names won, too. Although the celtics have more championships, the lakers have more of everything else -- wins, playoff wins, playoff series wins and conference titles. About the only thing that hurts l.a. In the all-time rankings is the penalty for relocating from minnesota to los angeles in the 1950s.

The story begins with the mikan years up north, where he led minneapolis to five championships in six seasons in the formative years of the nba. As the league's first dominant big man, he established something of a tradition.

Franchise history

* los angeles lakers (1960-present)
* minneapolis lakers (1948-60)

since then, the lakers have almost always had at least one monstrous big man -- mikan, wilt, kareem, shaq, pau gasol -- and one electrifying perimeter star to go with him (magic, jerry west, baylor, kobe).

About the only thing the lakers haven't been able to do is best the celtics head-to-head. In 11 meetings against boston in the finals, l.a. Has prevailed just three times. In that regard, baylor's minneapolis team got the ball rolling in 1958-59 in the team's last season before heading west, and in the '60s, chamberlain and west were foiled by the celtics five times.

Ultimately, those lakers broke through with a 69-13 season in 1971-72 that featured a 33-game winning streak -- still a record for north american pro team sports -- to win the team's first title in l.a.

After a brief lull in the late '70s, they would get five more rings when magic arrived to join forces with kareem. Although there was one more painful loss to boston interposed -- a seven-game defeat in 1984 -- l.a. Avenged it by becoming the first team in nearly two decades to repeat as champs, winning in 1987 and 1988. A hamstring injury to magic johnson in the finals the next year derailed the lakers' quest for a three-peat, but they would get one a decade and a half later after phil jackson came to tinseltown to guide shaq and kobe.

That team provided plenty of last-second excitement -- most notably the alley-oop from kobe to shaq that cemented a game 7 conference finals comeback win over portland in 2000 -- and produced one of the most dominant playoff runs in history with a 15-1 romp through the field in 2001.

Amazingly, the franchise has missed the playoffs only five times in its 62 years. The lakers, who have played in seven finals in the new century, are now only one title behind the hated celtics after defending their title in 2010 with a dramatic seven-game win over boston. i can make a case for eddie jones van exel ceballos cooper worthy

show34
07-17-2010, 12:32 AM
according to some MJ fans, there is NOTHING kobe can do to be considered better. so even if he breaks kareems record and russells record, he still isn't better. :confused:

i think that if he gets 6, then there is no legitimate argument to say mj's better. kobe was/is better in pure basketball skills already, so the only thing mj had was the rings. but take that away, kobe is GOAT!
i maybe the biggest laker fan of all time but Kobe aint messin with mike thats just how it is

LakerPro24
07-17-2010, 12:48 AM
This franchise to me and probably everyone is the best in history. One reason is all the hope of winning every game, i mean the celtics got really lucky in some of their championships in the franchise. but the lakers play with strength and heart to win i mean look at the team right after they won game 7.