PDA

View Full Version : Let's face it, it is going to be hard to stop Miami. 3 players who get 8+ FTA a game

JordansBulls
07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Let's face it, it is going to be hard to stop Miami.

Whenever you have a championship team you always need a guy who can get to the free throw line.

They have 3 guys on their team that average 8+ FTA a game.

Bosh has averaged 8.3, 8.6, 8.3, 8.0 and 8.4 FTA his last 5 seasons.

Wade has averaged 9.9, 10.7, 10.5, 9.2, 9.8, and 9.1 FTA his last 6 seasons

Lebron has averaged 8.0, 10.3, 9.0, 10.3, 9.4, 10.2 FTA his last 6 seasons

Now obviously they wont get that many FTA playing together, it may be go down to around 7 FTA for each of them, but the only teams that have a shot against them are teams that can get to the line as well.

Here is a list of some guys in the league and the FTA they get per game.

Lebron James averaged 10.2 FTA last season and around 9-10 FTA the past few years.

Kevin Durant averaged 10.2 FTA last season

Dwight Howard averaged 10.0 FTA last season and around 10-11 FTA the past few years.

Dwyane Wade averaged 9.1 FTA last season and around 9-11 FTA the past few years.

Carmelo Anthony averaged 8.9 FTA last season and around 7-9 FTA the past few years.

Chris Bosh averaged 8.4 FTA last season and around 8 FTA the past few years.

Amare averaged 7.7 FTA last season and around 7-9 FTA the past few years.

Dirk Nowitzki averaged 7.2 FTA last season and around 7 FTA the past few years.

Kevin Martin averaged 7.7 FTA last season and around 8-9 FTA the past few years.

Kobe Bryant averaged 7.4 FTA last season and around 7-10 FTA the past few years.

Joe Johnson averaged 3.5 FTA last season and past few years only 4.6 FTA

Ray Allen averaged 3.2 FTA last season and with Seattle he averaged between 4-6 FTA.

Most of the top teams have a guy that can get to the line except for probably Boston.

king4day
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Zone defense will curb their attempts

dnewguy
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Everyone knows it.......but they're just denying what is real.

69centers
07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
If you've got size down low, and can play zone and keep Wade and James around the perimter, you can lessen their FTA. C'mon, you've got Thibodeau now, he can surely come up with a defensive scheme against Miami.

Faycem
07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, if it's for FT's, Nuggets got Iverson and Anthony in 2007 and it wasn't a factor.

Russell_Roberts
07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
lebron not getting all those superstar calls like he used to with clevland. same as bosh

geraptor
07-15-2010, 01:12 PM
lebron not getting all those superstar calls like he used to with clevland. same as bosh

as if wade didnt get them

thesparky33
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Why wouldnt he?

ManRam
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Superstars get "superstar calls" because they have the ball in their hands more than every other player in the league, and they are talented enough to consistently get into the paint.

With LeBron and Wade playing on the same team, sharing the ball more than they ever have in their careers, their FT attempts are obviously going to go down significantly.

Biggest myth in the NBA: superstars get calls because they are "superstars". No, they get them because they put themselves in position to get calls more than anyone else in the league- that's why they are superstars.

Heater4life
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
If you've got size down low, and can play zone and keep Wade and James around the perimter, you can lessen their FTA. C'mon, you've got Thibodeau now, he can surely come up with a defensive scheme against Miami.

I will never claim my team the best until they beat the best, but what JordansBulls pointed out is something ive been stating for a while now. We can all argue back and forth over over many things, but the one thing we cant is that these guys get to the line. along with the fact that we know these guys will demand double coverage opening lanes for eachother. It definatly is a factor many people are over looking.

That being said, i cant wait til the season starts for my Heat to prove they are the best team. Until then, Lakers are champs.

Heater4life
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Superstars get "superstar calls" because they have the ball in their hands more than every other player in the league, and they are talented enough to consistently get into the paint.

With LeBron and Wade playing on the same team, sharing the ball more than they ever have in their careers, their FT attempts are obviously going to go down significantly.

Biggest myth in the NBA: superstars get calls because they are "superstars". No, they get them because they put themselves in position to get calls more than anyone else in the league- that's why they are superstars.

Could not disagree more. Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant get to the line because they cannot be guarded one-on-one on a consistent basis, they beat their defender and force fouls from either out positioned defenders or late help defense.

Lebron and wade do the same thing due to the fact that they are physically better than their opponents. That is why they are superstars. That post was basketball ignorant.

Chronz
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Good thread JB, I was thinking about this the other day. They will get FT's galore. Prolly be boring to watch dont you think

Zone defense will probably get them more attempts

Chronz
07-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Its not about the total of calls you get, but the % of calls you get per possession used. Their FT/a will go down, but will their rate of free attempts?

As for the superstar call thing, meh. Its not because they are stars but I doubt its because they have the ball all the time. Its just their ability, some players have it some dont. Look at Joe Johnson, superstar with the ball alot. FEW FT

Look at Maggette, rarely gets the ball but is a monster getting to the line.

levignjw
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Good thread JB, I was thinking about this the other day. They will get FT's galore. Prolly be boring to watch dont you think

Then don't watch?

Pierzynski4Prez
07-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Then don't watch?

:clap::clap:

It actually made sense too.

nanablvd
07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
hard to stop doesnt mean they cannot be stopped. They havent even played one real game together and you bring in all the hype. Their roster isnt even completed. "Let's face it", face what? Nobody says they are not superstars. Remember last year's Cleveland's "Win the ring for the king" hype? It's good for fans to get excited early but it's also fair for others to say they still have to prove it so let them prove it. As much as you would proudly brag about the kingdom of the Heat once they eventually win the title, the Lakers deserve the privilege to be called the best team throughout next season until someone knocks them down officially.

REALLYYYYY?
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
they gonna be stopped more than heat fans think

oak2455
Wow surprising another Heat thread........holy **** you have to be kidding:mad:

fresh prince
Oh Boy can we see how it plays out.. Theres no way Bosh will average even close to the FGA's or the FTA's attempts he did in Toronto. He's now the 3rd option.

If you wanna crown them then crown their ***

But the Heat are who we thought they were!!

C_Mund
07-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Yes. It will be hard. Miami is going to be a good basketball team. Mostly because of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. Also, I hear that they are starting to sign other good players to fill out their roster.
I bet some of those other players get to the free throw line throughout the course of the season as well.

IAmKira
07-15-2010, 02:44 PM
How r u gonna get that many FTS when theres only 1 ball!?

rockets-fan
07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
omg another thread about how no onw will beat the heat...when is this gunna stop dang it....

NYMetros
07-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Most of the top teams have a guy that can get to the line except for probably Boston.

Pierce got to the line 6.1 times a game last year, which is pretty good.

mynameismo
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Who said it was going to be easy?

sep11ie
07-15-2010, 02:52 PM
They won't be the primary guys on their team anymore in order to average 8+ FT's a game.

JordansBulls
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM

I don't think that the refs will be able to give them the calls they used to now that they have teamed up. So I expect a lot more complaining from each of them from here on out.

Russell_Roberts
07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Why wouldnt he?
just watch

Raidaz4Life
07-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Guess we will have to wait and see won't we

Philly 4 Life
07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I will never claim my team the best until they beat the best, but what JordansBulls pointed out is something ive been stating for a while now. We can all argue back and forth over over many things, but the one thing we cant is that these guys get to the line. along with the fact that we know these guys will demand double coverage opening lanes for eachother. It definatly is a factor many people are over looking.

That being said, i cant wait til the season starts for my Heat to prove they are the best team. Until then, Lakers are champs.

The first heat fan that i have seen write anything that has made any kind of sense. I knew there were a few out there somewhere.

ManRam
07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Could not disagree more. Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant get to the line because they cannot be guarded one-on-one on a consistent basis, they beat their defender and force fouls from either out positioned defenders or late help defense.

Lebron and wade do the same thing due to the fact that they are physically better than their opponents. That is why they are superstars. That post was basketball ignorant.

I think you misread my post. I'm saying that fans blame the refs for star players getting calls. I'm saying they DESERVE their calls, and the reason they get those calls is not because they are the big names and the refs favor them, it's because they are better, and the are more adept at getting to the line.

I really don't see how we are disagreeing at all. I said that they get calls because they do get to the paint more frequently, and they do that because the are superior :confused:

Its not about the total of calls you get, but the % of calls you get per possession used. Their FT/a will go down, but will their rate of free attempts?

As for the superstar call thing, meh. Its not because they are stars but I doubt its because they have the ball all the time. Its just their ability, some players have it some dont. Look at Joe Johnson, superstar with the ball alot. FEW FT

Look at Maggette, rarely gets the ball but is a monster getting to the line.

Do you have those stats? You are right...but I'd love to see those stats.

Joe Johnson averages 20% of Joe Johnson's shots come at the rim. LeBron is at 34%, Wade is at 38%, Durant is at 26%, Melo is 38%.

You catch my drift (got those percentages from hoopdata.com). Johnson doesn't attack nearly enough, thus, he ins't going to get as many trips to the line. He also shies away from contact a lot more than guys like LeBron and Durant especially, who love to create and draw contact.

It's more than just having the ball, for sure. It does boil down to attacking. It's a lot harder to foul a jump shooter (JJ) than a guy who attacks all the time (Wade and LeBron).

Why do you think Kobe's FT rate has dropped these last two years? Because he doesn't attack as much. He takes more jump shots, backs players down and has that great post game. A lot less isoing and one-on-one attacking.

_KB24_
07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
We're all getting a little carried away. As people have already stated, playing a zone defense on these guys will completely clog up the paint and take away both Bron and Bosh's game. The Bulls, Celtics, Magic, the Lakers, or any other solid defensive team, will easily come up with a plan. And considering how soft and fragile these guys are going to be on the defensive end in the paint (Bosh, Big Z, Haslem, and Juwan :laugh2: ) teams will look to post up these little girls.

Lakersho
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM

...i get what your saying, try to remember though, reg. season doesn't mean squat !!! so saying ,cant wait for the season to start so everyone will see our greatness stuff. well here you go, how did cavs finish this year ? they destroyed anyone in thier path all year. post season is all that matters, most teams play different def. sets in playoffs, dont allow the 1 on 5 single coverage LBJ and wade get during reg. season. it will be good to see'em play but really means nothing til they play against 2nd round or above def. in the playoffs...

Bigbadmoffo
07-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Whenever you have a championship team you always need a guy who can get to the free throw line.

Now obviously they wont get that many FTA playing together, it may be go down to around 7 FTA for each of them, but the only teams that have a shot against them are teams that can get to the line as well.

Lebron James averaged 10.2 FTA last season and around 9-10 FTA the past few years.

Dwight Howard averaged 10.0 FTA last season and around 10-11 FTA the past few years.

Dwyane Wade averaged 9.1 FTA last season and around 9-11 FTA the past few years.

Carmelo Anthony averaged 8.9 FTA last season and around 7-9 FTA the past few years.

Kevin Martin averaged 7.7 FTA last season and around 8-9 FTA the past few years.

Kobe Bryant averaged 7.4 FTA last season and around 7-10 FTA the past few years.

Ray Allen averaged 3.2 FTA last season and with Seattle he averaged between 4-6 FTA.

K, I'm pretty sure production will drop for them as it did for Garnett, pierce, allen. Bryant, Gasol. History shows that.

Ray_R
07-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Heat vs. Your team is going to be very boring. Atleast 25FTA a game.

hgtiger32
07-15-2010, 04:41 PM
people are saying zone defense will slow or stop the big 3 in miami. well after the first 10-20 times they see the zone i think they'll be able to figure it out and change their game

SupeUnagi
07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
all they have to do is pass the ball

Kevj77
07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Joe Johnson averages 20% of Joe Johnson's shots come at the rim. LeBron is at 34%, Wade is at 38%, Durant is at 26%, Melo is 38%.

You catch my drift (got those percentages from hoopdata.com). Johnson doesn't attack nearly enough, thus, he ins't going to get as many trips to the line. He also shies away from contact a lot more than guys like LeBron and Durant especially, who love to create and draw contact.

It's more than just having the ball, for sure. It does boil down to attacking. It's a lot harder to foul a jump shooter (JJ) than a guy who attacks all the time (Wade and LeBron).

Why do you think Kobe's FT rate has dropped these last two years? Because he doesn't attack as much. He takes more jump shots, backs players down and has that great post game. A lot less isoing and one-on-one attacking.I've always felt this was the case. Aggressive play gets you to the line more. That's why I don't get upset at the refs when my team doesn't get to the line. A lot of Lakers fans complained in the playoffs about FT difference, but they didn't attack enough and settled for jump shots thats why. The Kobe example nails it on the head.

Will Miami Thrice all be able to stay as aggressive?

hype707
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
the amount of Touches for each player will go down IE the Number of FT will go down

bringinwood
07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

You don't think LeBron or D-Wade can break down a zone...
:laugh:
Wow, we're in denial...

IndyRealist
07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow, we're in denial...

Generally the key to breaking a zone is to drive, draw the defense, and then kick to an outside shooter. Unless Mike Miller is open every single play, then they don't yet have the shooters. The other way to break a zone is to pass, pass, pass, until you can make a quick entry to a low post player. Chris Bosh takes an awful lot of jump shots, is all I'm saying.

Also, given that there are only so many possessions in a game, each of them is going to have to sacrifice some shots. Their FT's will go down, and likely down a lot more than 1 the OP predicts. Wade will likely be the primary ball-handler so I expect him to get 6-7FT's per game, Lebron 5-6, Bosh 4-5. These players all managed to get to the line a lot because so many iso's were run for them. I don't expect a whole lot of iso offense next year for a team that talented.

JordansBulls
07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Wow, we're in denial...

They can, however they may try to take it upon themselves and be ball hogs trying to do it.

davidfox11
07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
the amount of Touches for each player will go down IE the Number of FT will go down

my thoughts exactly

TheWatcher34
07-15-2010, 05:59 PM
we'll see ...

PLAYERS FAN
07-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Everyone knows it.......but they're just denying what is real.

I must admit this! Lebron will destroy artest easily because Artest can't hold small forwards that rely on speed instead of physical play! I was very disappointed how easy Lebron outplay him especially physically.

Gasol is a very terrible one on one defender and protect the basket! Kobe had to cheat off his man sometimes to help him out especially this year playoffs against Amare and KG.

Bynum don't protect the basket from penetrations like a big man suppose to do.

With Kobe I only worry about his health assuming that they play the Heat in the Finals this year because Wade and Lebron will not be as fatigue because they are younger.

justinnum1
07-15-2010, 06:19 PM
All the big guys that play against us will be in foul trouble. D Howard wont avg more than 15-20 min against the HEAT, same for bynum, perkins, gasol, any big will be in foul trouble against the Heat.

plpfctn
07-15-2010, 06:57 PM
wade and bosh played on bad teams so they got a lot of touches and opportunities to get on the line. they'll have far less touches now.

iggypop123
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
to prevent 5 hour games due to a ft contest refs will be trained to swallow the whistle

JNA17
07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
zone defense, problem solved

justinnum1
07-15-2010, 07:34 PM
wade and bosh played on bad teams so they got a lot of touches and opportunities to get on the line. they'll have far less touches now.

Less touches but more efficient = similar numbers

dtmagnet
07-15-2010, 08:06 PM

How does their efficiency go up automatically?

fresh prince
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
All the big guys that play against us will be in foul trouble. D Howard wont avg more than 15-20 min against the HEAT, same for bynum, perkins, gasol, any big will be in foul trouble against the Heat.

You got any lotto numbers miss Cleo?

Who Will Win the Super Bowl Next Year?

Should I take the Mets Money Line over Lincecum and the Giants tonight?

JordansBulls
07-15-2010, 09:25 PM
to prevent 5 hour games due to a ft contest refs will be trained to swallow the whistle

:laugh2:

uknowmyname
07-15-2010, 10:48 PM

No more flailing to get bailed out.

:clap:

JordansBulls
07-16-2010, 12:35 AM
No more flailing to get bailed out.

They will still get calls.

JordansBulls
07-17-2010, 08:08 PM

No. Maybe their FG% will increase because they will take less bad shots, but there PER or EFF will not without as many touches.

knicksfan42
07-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Superstar calls, no matter what type of defense a team plays, Lebron and Wade are going to get their free throws

h2r09
07-17-2010, 08:41 PM
No. Maybe their FG% will increase because they will take less bad shots, but there PER or EFF will not without as many touches.

who the hell gives a **** about what their PER and EFF numbers are?

JordansBulls
07-17-2010, 09:47 PM

PER or EFF are not just numbers, they measure of productive a player is statistically.

Chief Smoke
07-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Zone Defense...lmao

justinnum1
07-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Oh really:rolleyes:

Avenged
07-18-2010, 03:05 AM

That may be the best way to go but it's easier said than done.

Cali.Empire
07-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Well let us see about this. Each team gets the ball about 60-70 times a game. So with your calculation every 3rd time the heat has possession, their going to the free throw line. Break it down more, since those guys shot the ball atleast 15x a game, every time any of the big three has the ball in their hands they will get fouled. Your argument doesn't make sence. Aside from bosh, batman and robin held the ball what about 50 to 60% time with their old team, not going to happen anymore. Stop all this nonsense about the heat this the heat that, they haven't played anything and they're already given the championship. :facepalm:

Chronz
07-18-2010, 01:39 PM
He never said their PER would be similar, he said their #'s would be similar. Just formatted differently I guess, less prolific, more efficient.

Obviously their PER is going to drop, its a stats that favors usage over efficiency. In terms of possession efficiency, they should all 3 experience career highs. If the payoff is worth the loss (which it should be if they all click) then their stats will be similar in terms of impact.

GM's, Analyst, Statisticians, Coaches, me.......... jb, and a handfull of other intelligent posters.

Chronz
07-18-2010, 01:41 PM
That may be the best way to go but it's easier said than done.

I understood teams going box-1 against Wade and Bron in the past, but on the same team if your not going to keep a body on the guy off the ball, then that zone is going to be open to lots of drives for the other stars and kickouts for BigZ/Mike/ Bosh

How does their efficiency go up automatically?
From taking away all the bombs they were forced into taking. By having superior playmakers around them.

JordansBulls
07-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Well let us see about this. Each team gets the ball about 60-70 times a game. So with your calculation every 3rd time the heat has possession, their going to the free throw line. Break it down more, since those guys shot the ball atleast 15x a game, every time any of the big three has the ball in their hands they will get fouled. Your argument doesn't make sence. Aside from bosh, batman and robin held the ball what about 50 to 60% time with their old team, not going to happen anymore. Stop all this nonsense about the heat this the heat that, they haven't played anything and they're already given the championship. :facepalm:

Did you see the original post?

inthecut-miami
07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Its going 2 make other teams play soft defense 2 avoid putting miami to the ft line and be in the penalty all game, the heat will be unstopable!

JordansBulls
07-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Its going 2 make other teams play soft defense 2 avoid putting miami to the ft line and be in the penalty all game, the heat will be unstopable!

The only way to beat them will be to play hard nosed defense.

Big Moves
07-19-2010, 04:30 AM

Here's the thing. Labron, Wade, and Bosh will all get significantly less touches. This means that their collective numbers will also significantly decrease. Not just their ft's, their pts, ast, reb, etc. You have to remember that these guys have never played alongside another superstar (with the exception of wade playing with Shaq) so they have always dominated the ball and been the first option on offense.

BronBron06
07-19-2010, 04:49 AM
here's the thing. Labron, wade, and bosh will all get significantly less touches. This means that their collective numbers will also significantly decrease. Not just their ft's, their pts, ast, reb, etc. You have to remember that these guys have never played alongside another superstar (with the exception of wade playing with shaq) so they have always dominated the ball and been the first option on offense.

ummmm team usa ... All star games

BronBron06
07-19-2010, 04:50 AM
The only way to beat them will be to play hard nosed defense.

Hard Nose defense = Easy baiting for a foul, especially for Wade kamikaze drive

JordansBulls
07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Hard Nose defense = Easy baiting for a foul, especially for Wade kamikaze drive

Refs not going to be able to call fouls all the time.

justinnum1
07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Refs not going to be able to call fouls all the time.

Regardless, opposing bigs will be in foul trouble most of the game.

bolts4ever
07-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Good thread consifdering neither Lebron or Wade are consistant shooters especially lebron they depend heavily on getting FT to be efficient.

But I believe with Miami u need to have depth at the SG and SF positions and those players are going to have to make them work on both ends. I believe Miami will actually struggle with athletic Fastbreaking teams because they can keep up.

Teams like ATL, Charlotte,

They will also struggle with teams that are RELENTLESS on the off. And Def boards
Teams like

Dallas, Portland, Orlando, LA Lakers, Boston.

netsgiantsyanks
07-19-2010, 10:27 AM

we're talking about regular season games here dummy

BronBron06
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Damn how many days left till NBA OPENING ... so that Miami Heat Triad will show you how it's going to be done... not just silly guess

jaded01
07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
this thread just reminds me of the mockery that was the 06 finals. if the heat games are reffed like that again, you can just throw the season away and not bother watching.

mikealike305
07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
they will lead the NBA in FTA and get alot of guys in foul trouble

mikealike305
07-19-2010, 10:56 AM
this thread just reminds me of the mockery that was the 06 finals. if the heat games are reffed like that again, you can just throw the season away and not bother watching.

06 finals were amazing, wade had some of the best moments in finals history

MrfadeawayJB
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I can almost Guarentee that the heat will get so many "superstar" calls it wont even be fun to watch at times...can you say like 30-35 free throws a game between the miami thrice? Probably like 60 free throws a game!!

jaded01
07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
06 finals were amazing, wade had some of the best moments in finals history

like falling over with no one within 5 feet of him and then getting foul calls? yeah. AMAZING.

JordansBulls
07-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I can almost Guarentee that the heat will get so many "superstar" calls it wont even be fun to watch at times...can you say like 30-35 free throws a game between the miami thrice? Probably like 60 free throws a game!!

Then the refs will have to learn not to call fouls and let teams play.

H to the Izzo
07-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Paul Peirce 6.1 per game in 2009-10 season.

SupeUnagi
07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
zone defense couldnt stop Lebron and the sorry *** Cavs, but it's sure to stop Lebron, Wade, Miller (a three point specialist) and Chris Bosh!

Kevj77
07-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Then the refs will have to learn not to call fouls and let teams play.They will. Compare it to Shaq in his prime. Refs could have called a foul either offensive or defensive everytime Shaq touched the ball because there was so much contact both ways. Did he get people in foul trouble oh yeah. He got teams in the penalty earlier then they would have liked. Still he didn't foul out entire teams and the Lakers with him and Kobe didn't shoot 40 FT a game.

JordansBulls
07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
They will. Compare it to Shaq in his prime. Refs could have called a foul either offensive or defensive everytime Shaq touched the ball because there was so much contact both ways. Did he get people in foul trouble oh yeah. He got teams in the penalty earlier then they would have liked. Still he didn't foul out entire teams and the Lakers with him and Kobe didn't shoot 40 FT a game.

Well that was just one player. This is 3 now. Can't just keep calling fouls. They need to call it like FIBA.

Big Moves
07-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Umm, okay those don't count cause those are not their real teams. That stuff is only for a few games. However, team USA showed that their production will decrease. It's basic logic, there's a limited amount of touches each team gets per game. The more touches one guy gets and spends time with the ball in his hands, the less touches and game time there is for ever one else on the team to do something with the ball. Hence it likely follows that their numbers will all decrease this season.

xxcubs22xx
07-20-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't think its logical to say that the Miami Heat 3 are going to get X amount of FTA or whatever. Lets wait till the season starts. Basketball isn't played with 3 balls on the court at the same time...

JordansBulls
07-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't think its logical to say that the Miami Heat 3 are going to get X amount of FTA or whatever. Lets wait till the season starts. Basketball isn't played with 3 balls on the court at the same time...

The point is to show it would be hard to stop them because they have guys who can easily get to the line.

heatfan03
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM

:facepalm:

JordansBulls
07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
:facepalm:

He is basically implying that all 3 players need the ball in their hands constantly to function well, I don't see what was wrong with what he said.

Phabulous
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM

I understand the arguement. Nonetheless they have 3 guys who can score and get to the free throw line. Let's give the possiblility that the defending coaches are going to point that out. Hey whats a foul and are you going to call it both ways. These stars on the Heat might get some priveleges but one thing I can see is defense wins championships and if the other teams defend without fouling they might cry a lot next year. Let's face the facts, when the league decides to change the rule of referees can only call a foul within their zone then maybe they have a chance because I know teams are going to gun for the Heat when the season starts. It's unbelievable when a team gets 3 stars but you have to call it even without star treatment.

king4day
07-21-2010, 01:18 PM
You can't really make this argument since they won't see nearly as many touches.
It'll give them more of a chance to go to the line but I don't think, per game, that the over all team free throw attempts will increase by a whole lot.

ballpd05
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Many of them off of questionable calls. But they will have two of the toughest one on one matchups in the league in Wade and Lebron. Bosh is a pretty tough cover as well.

Wade>You
10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Heat have been dominated at the FT line all preseason.

No excuses this year.

Storch
10-14-2010, 12:02 AM
They are arguably the best penetrators in the game right now (bosh included in his PF position). It's also true that they can rack up a lot of free throws per game, but they are only playing with one ball, 48 minutes, and one penetrator at a time. Their touches are going to be significantly lower than in the past because they have 3 superstars in one team now. They all used to be the number one options on their team, thus also influencing more free throws due to more touches and superior offensive skills.

I won't be surprised if they all get around 6 free throws a game instead of 8+, but that in itself is still a huge threat... So we'll see how it goes :shrug:

Raph12
10-14-2010, 12:27 AM
They lead in FTA at each of their respective positions, if they get the touch-calls the got on their own respective teams, they will have no excuse for losing... I think they'll cut down on the calls for them.

bklynny67
10-14-2010, 12:59 AM
LOL at this guy saying they are gonna be tough because they get to the free throw line a lot!!

sure they will be great this year, but the reason isnt cuz of FT attempts. its cuz they have 3 great players. but still, they wont be as good as MIA fans think...

mjt20mik
10-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Would be interesting to see how much they get this year. I mean Lebron is known for complaining about calls. I wonder how lenient Refs are going to be on him this year.

nanablvd
10-14-2010, 01:36 AM
i guess no one has every said defending them is easy. I wont be surprised if they get the best record in the league; the real issue is facing the celtics and magic in a 7 game series.

OBredskin
10-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Are you assuming that LeWadeBosh will go to the line the same, as when they were the only scorers on their team? We all know that won't be the case. So no, I don't see them winning a championship shooting free throws. Now if they play a little defense, then you got something.

RedRicanoBx
10-14-2010, 02:01 AM
smh.... all 3 was on a team alone and the go 2 guy on there own team.. its diff this year... trust me..

junion
10-14-2010, 02:02 AM

out of nowhere, kevin martin

RedRicanoBx
10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Are you assuming that LeWadeBosh will go to the line the same, as when they were the only scorers on their team? We all know that won't be the case. So no, I don't see them winning a championship shooting free throws. Now if they play a little defense, then you got something.

they have no role players... no bench... miller... house ?? hes getting old... Big z eh... they need a deep bench and the 2 best teams in the nba made there bench MUCH deeper... (boston and LA) Good luck passing Boston heat lol

mark1125
10-14-2010, 08:20 AM
:horse:

Hawkeye15
10-14-2010, 10:01 AM
reading through there, just a couple of things.
Superstars get the calls is kind of a misused statement. Some players are just better than others at drawing fouls. Is Maggette a superstar? No. But he is always amongst the top few in foul draw rate.
LeBron and Wade are two of the better in the league at gaining a step, then creating contact on a moving defender. This is called a defensive foul.
The Heat will have many games where they live at the line. So for outside fans, many Heat games will actually be really boring to watch outside a few highlight plays.
Regardless, one of the Heat's biggest advantages is, in a scoring drought, or in a last possession game, they have multiple players capable of getting to the line in a pinch. This is what makes them so dangerous.

TheTakeOver24
10-14-2010, 10:15 AM
they have no role players... no bench... miller... house ?? hes getting old... Big z eh... they need a deep bench and the 2 best teams in the nba made there bench MUCH deeper... (boston and LA) Good luck passing Boston heat lol

Haslem and Miller are two of the best bench players in the league, House is a 3 point threat that will thrive with all the attention the big 3 get. Big z is still capable of stretching the floor for a good 15 mins per game. Arroyo was the starting pg for the majority of the year on a 47 win team. James Jones is finally healthy and is a solid role player. We're 5 deep with proven bench players... They are the self proclaimed "special ops unit."

Heater4life
10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
smh.... all 3 was on a team alone and the go 2 guy on there own team.. its diff this year... trust me..

In many ways it is different. You also have to factor in that having two other scoring options allows them to conserve energy. Its harder to take it strong to the rack after hoisting up 15+ jumpers in a game.

Either way i expect the numbers to go down. But expect free throw attempts in the 4th quarter to be tops in the league.

Avenged
10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
In many ways it is different. You also have to factor in that having two other scoring options allows them to conserve energy. Its harder to take it strong to the rack after hoisting up 15+ jumpers in a game.

Either way i expect the numbers to go down. But expect free throw attempts in the 4th quarter to be tops in the league.

Not only 4th quarter, but throughout a 48 minute game.

Lebron James ranked 2nd in FTA per game last season, Wade was #4, and Chris Bosh was #6, all 3 of them made the top 10. Expect the Heat to rack up a lot of free throw points this season.

pistonsfanomg
10-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah I know....

Especially on fast breaks lol

sep11ie
10-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Do y'all think Bosh is actually gonna get the ball enough to end up top 10-15 in FTA's though? I'm expecting him to put up Scola numbers this year(with maybe a few more rebounds).

Avenged
10-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Do y'all think Bosh is actually gonna get the ball enough to end up top 10-15 in FTA's though? I'm expecting him to put up Scola numbers this year(with maybe a few more rebounds).

Depends, but it still doesn't change the fact that he has the ability to get to the line. The Heat have 3 players who know exactly how to draw contact, whether Bosh gets the touches for that or not, the Heat still have that as a weapon if anything.

sep11ie
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Well yea, he has that ability on a team where he was a #1 and #2 option. Now that he's a 3rd option I don't see him getting to the line nearly as much.

JordansBulls
10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Well yea, he has that ability on a team where he was a #1 and #2 option. Now that he's a 3rd option I don't see him getting to the line nearly as much.

5-6 FTA would be good for him now.

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-14-2010, 05:26 PM
They are all going to get a lot of calls. They seem to want to push the ball and get these great athletes in the open floor. Teams are going to get into foul trouble just trying to keep up with them. I see that as the way to appease all these superstars. If they play at a faster pace, they will at least get close to the numbers and touches they were used to getting when they were "the man" on their own respective teams.

I wonder how that open court running style is going to translate in the playoffs. We will all see

Kevj77
10-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I'd expect them to get teams in early foul trouble. Shaq used to do this in his prime for the Lakers and it meant more FTs for Kobe, Fish, Horry ect... They were usually shooting FTs earlier in the quarter then their opponent because of the quick fouls on Shaq and many non-shooting fouls resulted in FTs.

Miami is going to put teams in the penalty early a lot of the time. It will result in FTs not just for the big 3, but the whole team. Fouls that would usually be taken out of bounds will result in FTs. They will dominate the FT line against most teams.

CLASSOF72
10-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Yea, the Heat are going to be tough this year.

saintl2510
10-14-2010, 06:06 PM
the lakers defense will stop them artest, kobe and barnes

Chronz
10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Your not getting his point, if the rate of free throws per fg/a remains solid then hes still utilizing that strength. Nobody denies they wont get the same raw averages.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Your not getting his point, if the rate of free throws per fg/a remains solid then hes still utilizing that strength. Nobody denies they wont get the same raw averages.

rate vs average is the most common missed concept on this site when explaining stats dude. You know this

Byronicle
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
people have to factor in the number of superstar calls these 3 got

hopefully this tech rule stops the Big 3's combined power of whining from winning them more games from now on.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
people have to factor in the number of superstar calls these 3 got

hopefully this tech rule stops the Big 3's combined power of whining from winning them more games from now on.

um, if they enforce these techs like they plan to, every single superstar in the league is screwed. Remember Kobe was just stated as the biggest whiner in the SI article a week ago, and the C's had 3/20 haha.

dnewguy
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't see them getting that many calls but I also have a feeling David Stern will rescind the tech rules once bron gets over 10 of them, well he probably wont get 10 because the refs understand that they've to feed their family and to do that, you need Lebron playing every game.

mark1125
10-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Out of random curiosity, why is it that some Heat threads are shut down or moved while others are allowed to breed like rabbits.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Out of random curiosity, why is it that some Heat threads are shut down or moved while others are allowed to breed like rabbits.

the ones that have no insulting and baiting are left open.

JordansBulls
10-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Heater4life
10-15-2010, 08:33 AM

Hooray!!! For differing opinion and discussion without insults.

HOORAY!!!!

Heater4life
10-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Idk, but its not a far-fetched idea. The Heat are playing at a faster pace, which equates to more touches. The pick and roll game is going to be at a premium in Miami, one of Bosh's strong suits. And in preseason we tend to throw the ball to Bosh on the low block a ton to suck in the D, expect some of those to go his way.

Its not a stretch IMO.

JordansBulls
10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Idk, but its not a far-fetched idea. The Heat are playing at a faster pace, which equates to more touches. The pick and roll game is going to be at a premium in Miami, one of Bosh's strong suits. And in preseason we tend to throw the ball to Bosh on the low block a ton to suck in the D, expect some of those to go his way.

Its not a stretch IMO.

How many shots a game will Bosh get this year?

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Its not a stretch IMO.

again, many here are missing the big picture. As Chronz pointed out, everyone expects their raw FTA's to drop. But if their free throw rate stays equal, then yes, the Heat will lead the league in free throw attempts because we know LeBron and Wade will dominate the ball a great amount of time.

Attempts versus rate seems to be very difficult to understand here.

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
How many shots a game will Bosh get this year?

11-12 is my guess

jaizari06
10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
^ If bosh is getting 11-12 shots a game how many are wade/LBJ/bench going to get?? Also I think wade/LBJ free throws go down some but not much..Bosh will go down because barring injury and foul trouble to the other 2 i just dont see him getting the ball that much..7-10 attempts 5-6 trips to the line a night imo..

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 01:10 PM
^ If bosh is getting 11-12 shots a game how many are wade/LBJ/bench going to get?? Also I think wade/LBJ free throws go down some but not much..Bosh will go down because barring injury and foul trouble to the other 2 i just dont see him getting the ball that much..7-10 attempts 5-6 trips to the line a night imo..

LeBron is a very willing passer, as is Wade. Bosh will figure out quickly how to get open shots, and should get his fair share. I won't bother actually guessing the number of field goal attempts each will have really, I don't know how many minutes they will play, or the specific roles yet.
And the post right above yours explains that of course their overall NUMBER of attempts will drop. But if their rates per possession stay nearly equal, which they probably will, there will be a ton of free throws in the Miami games.

justinnum1
10-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Because some lead to a bait/bash thread and some don't.

jaizari06
10-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Does all this big 3 new found motivation due to all the haters mean they each try to do a little more than normal? IMO thats a yes which means in order to stay close to what they each were b4 this season, shots get chucked up by wade and LBJ and bosh will have to make due with second chance put backs and take advantage when either wade or LBJ are on the bench, which i dont think they can afford to do too often..i just think Bosh gets effected the most by this big 3 thing and he will have to be lights out with the chances he does get to shoot it...

daleja424
10-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Bosh will not get the same amount of FTs, bc he is going to be relgated to a mid range spot up guy more this year than in the past.

as far as FGA per game for Bosh, he is right now averaging 12.6 FGA/game in just 24.6 minutes. he is going to get just as many shots this year as in the past (15-16 FGA/game). wade and james love to run the pick and role and bosh is a stud in that system. he will get plenty of shots.

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Bosh will not get the same amount of FTs, bc he is going to be relgated to a mid range spot up guy more this year than in the past.

as far as FGA per game for Bosh, he is right now averaging 12.6 FGA/game in just 24.6 minutes. he is going to get just as many shots this year as in the past (15-16 FGA/game). wade and james love to run the pick and role and bosh is a stud in that system. he will get plenty of shots.

well, I think the Heat will be in a lot of blowouts, so I don't think Bosh will play more than 30-32 mpg this season when it all breaks down.

daleja424
10-15-2010, 02:35 PM
but project his shots out even to 32 minutes... and you get 16.8 FGAs per game...

Corey
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Er, Paul Pierce?

7.7 FTA per game career average.

6.1 last year, career high of 10+ a few years back.

:confused:

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 02:55 PM
but project his shots out even to 32 minutes... and you get 16.8 FGAs per game...

sure, if you think Wade won't play like the preseason has gone.

daleja424
10-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Like I have said... Bosh is not the one who will struggle to get shots with wade and lebron playing. They both LOVE passing the ball out of the pick and roll and pick and pop. Lebron's shot rate will go down a litte + Wade will get many of the shots currently being taken by james jones, patrick beverly, kenny hasbrouck, etc...

You are not taking into account that Hasbrouck, Jones, and beverly are currently getting a similar amount of shots combined as wade will once he is back and none of those guys are playing.

Byronicle
10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
um, if they enforce these techs like they plan to, every single superstar in the league is screwed. Remember Kobe was just stated as the biggest whiner in the SI article a week ago, and the C's had 3/20 haha.

good i hope so, they should let their game do the talking and not their crying. these grown men are suppose to be role models but they are goin to act like children?

Chronz
10-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Good point, but I dont think Bosh is going to turn into KG offensively. Of all the players I think his rate of FT drops the most due to the reasons you just gave as an outlet shooter but I hope not entirely.

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Like I have said... Bosh is not the one who will struggle to get shots with wade and lebron playing. They both LOVE passing the ball out of the pick and roll and pick and pop. Lebron's shot rate will go down a litte + Wade will get many of the shots currently being taken by james jones, patrick beverly, kenny hasbrouck, etc...

You are not taking into account that Hasbrouck, Jones, and beverly are currently getting a similar amount of shots combined as wade will once he is back and none of those guys are playing.

for sure dude. I just think Bosh's shots will indeed drop a bit. The Heat will stomp on 1/2 the league in the regular season. I can see plenty of 20 minute games for the big 3 honestly.

xsilencerx
10-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Size is there weakness Noah and Asik should create problems for them at least some what but yeah Heat will be hard to beat no matter who they are facing

godolphins
10-15-2010, 05:27 PM
The Miami Heat are trully a unstopable force :D

JordansBulls
10-16-2010, 08:51 AM
The Miami Heat are trully a unstopable force :D

We will see.