PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Shannon Brown is the next move by Lakers. How would you rate the offseason?

Lakeshow86
07-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I know its not over but there are reports that Lakers are near a deal with Shannon Brown after Raja Bell left to play infront of a bunch of mormons in Utah. After Brown there probably wont be much else. They will either bring back Powell and or Mbenga or sign someone like Kurt Thomas or Kwame. I think It was an ok offseason. They will still have enough to 3 peat but they could have made it easier on themselves if they were able to pull off some better moves than they did.

Getting Blake was a good. Resigning Fish was good. not getting Bell and settling for Brown was bad. The heat got Big Z and Haslem to settle for less money. We could use someone to do the same. We are essentially going to be the same team but with Blake instead of Farmar. A moderate upgrade at the PG spot. Maybe the Lakers still have surpise move up their sleve?

Burleson81
07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I think our offseason is centered on whether the two rookies can 1) earn a roster spot; 2) make a contribution. So far, I'd say the Lakers did okay as well.

Raidaz4Life
07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
B-/B

depending on if our rookies make the team. We addressed PG which was our biggest weakness so its hard to complain.

thedon01
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
i think the Lakers did good, i wasnt expecting a big sign or trade this offseason anyway, so i would say they did really well keeping a championship ball club in tact. however i hope that over the next few years the team starts to infuse some youth.

o.reams2425
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
We still need a big. KT would make it B+. we have to remember, we have the best starting 5 in the league. If Fish comes off the bench some, then Odom will play more freely because he wouldnt be the long vet out there. Feeling all the pressure. Plus Kurt avg. 6pts and 8rebs a game in the playoffs. more then what Mbenga wood give us.

kblo247
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I - Incomplete

We need to see what backup center he signs as well. As long as it isn't DJ or Powell then it would get a positive grade, but if it is one of them a C+ is the ceiling for me.

kobebabe
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM
We still need to address the C. if we get KT, then we did fine. If not, c+ at best. Coulda been great if he could have had Bell or miller but no point to cry over spilt milk

DC Laker
07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Here is all that matters...

Blake + Caracter + Ebanks + TBA > Farmar + Mbenga + Morrison + Powell

As long as LA gets better...

The biggest upgrade this offseason is that KOBE IS RESTING AND GETTING HEALTHY!!! The rest is all gravy!!!

SK ALL Day
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
www.bringbaqshaq.com Lets bring back the big fella!!!! i think its all up to kobe!!

o.reams2425
07-15-2010, 01:28 PM
If Bynum can stay healthy, that would make us a completely different team. our bench as well. we know what were gonna get from King Kobe and Gasol. Bynum is the key. and hey, if we can find someone to show Odom how to go right, we'd have the best offseason of any team.

Vinylman
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
To early to say... pretty uneventful actually...

other than the draft we definitely haven't gotten more athletic which i think we need to...

Blake is an upgrade over farmar

I think Teams like Phoenix have gotten ALOT better... even though i still think we will beat them... turkeyglue is perfect for that team and stoudemire is no great loss...

o.reams2425
07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
www.bringbaqshaq.com Lets bring back the big fella!!!! i think its all up to kobe!!

yeah, picking up shaq would make the road to a 3peat alot easier. but everyone heard King Kobe right after the finals. he'd rather fail alone then to give shaq another ring. he'd bring back Kwame b4 that.

KobeOwnSU
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Bring back Kwame!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive been on this wagon for two months.

nanablvd
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I'd rate it an A.

Given their serious financial constraint, for FO and Buss to be willing to spend the MLE and upgrade the bench with Blake and possibly Kurt, and Shannon's re-signing to maintain their athletic flexibility and the team intact, what more would we hope for as fans?

Total success, even more so if we eventually get Kurt Thomas.

LA Faithful
07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
C... couldn't get the desired free agents. But Steve Blake was a decent pickup.

numba1CHANGsta
07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
So far an A-

they resigned Phil and Fish which were huge and they upgraded on their backup PG. Also they drafted two steals in the draft IMO and kept our core players in tact so we did good. Ill give this team an A+ if they sign Tmac! ;)

shep33
07-15-2010, 02:05 PM
We need a backup vet big man desperately... I think we'll get it in Thomas, Joe Smith, or someone like that.

Right now a B... fixed the pg position, but I still think we need a big and a sg/sf that can consistently relieve Kobe and Ron of some minutes.

Kevj77
07-15-2010, 02:34 PM
B

Sometimes we expect too much from the Lakers. They weren't going to do a huge S & T blowing up the core of a back to back champions. All they had was the MLE and the vet min. A lot of teams cleared caps space to land LBJ and missed out, then started overpaying people. Miami is most likely going after some of the same people as us to fill out their roster.

Resign Brown (to bad we missed on Raja) for the rest of the MLE and a vet big for the min and we are done. Realisticly given the situation that's all we can do.

DoubleDragon
07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
We need a backup vet big man desperately... I think we'll get it in Thomas, Joe Smith, or someone like that.

Right now a B... fixed the pg position, but I still think we need a big and a sg/sf that can consistently relieve Kobe and Ron of some minutes.

JOE SMITH would be very NICE:nod::nod::nod:
So far, as far as one of the posters said, we got Phil coming back, Blake, Fish, and a well rested Kobe. HArd to tweak a repeat champion team too much, but I'd give them a B- (Raja would've given them a B+)

Kind of split on the Thomas thing. Would have also loved to get Barnes. And don't crucify me here (don't know all the technical/financial stuff like some of you) but I thought Brad Miller would've been a nice back-up for "the knee"

oh...lest I forget. A humbled and ready T-Mac wouldn't suck as well. Why not

MJL
07-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Considering the cap, mitch did really well. He only have MLE and a minimum, he signed Blake, who is a under rated player and I believe he fit Lakers perfectly. Resign Fish and most likely resign Brown. I think on the FA side, I give Mitch a B+.
Then you have to look at the draft...We only have two late 2nd rounder. Mitch draft Ebanks and DC, base on how those two have played in summer league so far, I give Mitch on draft side a A+.
So Mitch average out really well in this off season.

Lakers211221
07-15-2010, 03:47 PM

It's not up to Kobe...Shaq said he wants the MLE or more...we don't have the $ to sign Shaq...give it up already!

New Power House
07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I know its not over but there are reports that Lakers are near a deal with Shannon Brown after Raja Bell left to play infront of a bunch of mormons in Utah. After Brown there probably wont be much else. They will either bring back Powell and or Mbenga or sign someone like Kurt Thomas or Kwame. I think It was an ok offseason. They will still have enough to 3 peat but they could have made it easier on themselves if they were able to pull off some better moves than they did.

Getting Blake was a good. Resigning Fish was good. not getting Bell and settling for Brown was bad. The heat got Big Z and Haslem to settle for less money. We could use someone to do the same. We are essentially going to be the same team but with Blake instead of Farmar. A moderate upgrade at the PG spot. Maybe the Lakers still have surpise move up their sleve?

Blake>>>> Farmar it is a huge upgrade. This guy is going to be love in LA! He is a warrior. Farmar is waste of a player with 0 confidence and low skills to lead. The bench now have a leader and Odom will be more relax,I hope, sharing the responsibility. This guy is going to help the development of the rookies. Gasol and Bynum are going to love his wiliness to pass the rock! Besides that he shoots the three very effectively!:D

New Power House
07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Considering the cap, mitch did really well. He only have MLE and a minimum, he signed Blake, who is a under rated player and I believe he fit Lakers perfectly. Resign Fish and most likely resign Brown. I think on the FA side, I give Mitch a B+.
Then you have to look at the draft...We only have two late 2nd rounder. Mitch draft Ebanks and DC, base on how those two have played in summer league so far, I give Mitch on draft side a A+.
So Mitch average out really well in this off season.

A+ He signed a player that could easily have commanded the hole MLE and he left some cash for a vet player. He let Brown get out of his one year deal to be able to now get him probably for less and Fisher is back for a decent contract. The rockies are looking good so far and Lakers still have Sasha's contract to deal in case they see something that they like. B.Miller for example.:D

Bruno
07-15-2010, 03:56 PM
We should make a move for T-Mac!

Penetra8r
07-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd rate it above average. The draft made things easier to swallow, I believe we got two potential killer forwards for the future.

oval57sanch
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I say A-, because:

1. Kobe, Gasol, Bynum are resting this offseason and dealing with any injuries, surgery, etc. When we healthy we are hard to beat.

2. Upgrade on PG. Blake can actually shoot and plays better D than Farmar. The triangle is not meant for farmer.

3. Draft picks?

Other than that, we need Kmame/Thomas to back up Bynum. Mbenga is horrible! Who is gonna back up Artest?

BlackMambaKBB24
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I say D+, come on everyone Blake is not that much better than Farmer and in some aspects Farmer out does Blake in a few categories, we for sure lose speed and athleticism with Blake in there, Blake has not always been the best decision maker, and sometimes falters under the lime light all in all at best Blake is a small upgrade. I feel that we need to pick up SG/SF with size, Brown will not be able to guard the Lebrons, Durants, Dirks, due to his size with is closer to 63 than 64. We need someone with a little size to go out here with him..At this point I really think we need to take a serious look at Barnes and or T-Mac to fill this spot...Lets see how the FO responds.

showtym24
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Upgraded at pg, possibly third center, and added two quality rookies.

shep33
07-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Matt Barnes is likely going to the Heat according to this one report... wow. We can offer more money too. Kinda don't understand why Mitch hasn't talked to him.

timebandit
07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I Miss Jerry West he would have made a big splash!!

KillaInstinct24
07-15-2010, 06:28 PM
B-...B+ if we sign Kurt Thomas

Kobe5RingKing
07-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Awful

deadman8586
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Awful

Well we have no money left and no one wants to sign for less so deal with it.

robdizzle3
07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I'd also have to say C-. We wanted to upgrade our bench, but we just got Blake. I know our offseason isnt done yet, but teams are getting better anmd we;re just standing pat. I understand that teams need to be gearing to beat us, but some are getting rather strong and it aint like we just blew everybody outta the water on a consistent basis. We need mor firepower off the bench. I really believe we need to take a shot at T-Mac. Plus we need a big, so we can save Bynum a bit.

PGLakers
07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
yeah i m not too happy abt how things went down...yes we are 2 times champs but teams around us are getting better and our bench sucked last season...and we didnt improve it by much at all.

i am hoping our draft picks do something for us. unless some trade happens to strengthen our bench...its going to be a disappointing off season.

deadman8586
07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
yeah i m not too happy abt how things went down...yes we are 2 times champs but teams around us are getting better and our bench sucked last season...and we didnt improve it by much at all.

i am hoping our draft picks do something for us. unless some trade happens to strengthen our bench...its going to be a disappointing off season.

Who in there right mind wants to trade with us.

BiGG_MaCc
07-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Way off topic, but the one thing that I would like Kobe to do is right after his contract expires with Lakers, join the OKC Thunder for his final year and win a Championship with that team. It will be like MJ when he came back with the Wizards.....just imagine that would even launch Kevin Durant's legacy right over Lebron and right behind Kobe. Kobe would be the Gorilla glue to that team. His leadership and their youth, and willingness to learn....Kobe would reign Supreme.......:clap:

KillaInstinct24
07-16-2010, 01:51 AM
I Miss Jerry West he would have made a big splash!!

he has so much charisma and a knack for bringing together talent, he basically put those 50 win Grizzly teams together. if west was here, it would be a lot easier getting players to come for less $$ lol

DoubleDragon
07-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Way off topic, but the one thing that I would like Kobe to do is right after his contract expires with Lakers, join the OKC Thunder for his final year and win a Championship with that team. It will be like MJ when he came back with the Wizards.....just imagine that would even launch Kevin Durant's legacy right over Lebron and right behind Kobe. Kobe would be the Gorilla glue to that team. His leadership and their youth, and willingness to learn....Kobe would reign Supreme.......:clap:

:punish

BiGG_MaCc
07-16-2010, 02:20 AM
:crazy::crazy: :crazy:chill man...dont get all ***** hurt.

Mave1002
07-16-2010, 02:39 AM
I'd rate it an A.

Given their serious financial constraint, for FO and Buss to be willing to spend the MLE and upgrade the bench with Blake and possibly Kurt, and Shannon's re-signing to maintain their athletic flexibility and the team intact, what more would we hope for as fans?

Total success, even more so if we eventually get Kurt Thomas.

I agree. But til we get a defensive back up BIG for that AB17-Pau-LO rotation, ill give it a B

Highly disappointed with the initial prospects though. Especially with Mike Miller and Raja Bell. They couldve been a part of something.

Mave1002
07-16-2010, 02:44 AM
I say A-, because:

1. Kobe, Gasol, Bynum are resting this offseason and dealing with any injuries, surgery, etc. When we healthy we are hard to beat.

2. Upgrade on PG. Blake can actually shoot and plays better D than Farmar. The triangle is not meant for farmer.

3. Draft picks?

Other than that, we need Kmame/Thomas to back up Bynum. Mbenga is horrible! Who is gonna back up Artest?

Fingers crossed for "The Steal" Devin Ebanks

Listed as 6'9", he could be a great lockdown defender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7vLW94NFmw

deadman8586
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
he has so much charisma and a knack for bringing together talent, he basically put those 50 win Grizzly teams together. if west was here, it would be a lot easier getting players to come for less $$ lol

I doubt it because times have changed and players are money hungry.

LALakersKC
07-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd give it a D so far.

8kobe24
07-16-2010, 05:54 PM
B so far. But if we sign a legit big for our bench then B+ to A-.

IndyFan
07-16-2010, 06:56 PM
B

blake is nice. he is a little undersized, but is smart enough to be effective in the triangle. resigning fisher for less than he deserved was a coup. dr buss has done a really good job keeping costs from spiraling out of control.

the rookies look nice. don't expect them to have any effect on this season, but down the line, they look like guys that can play.

fill in the roster with vet min guys and it has been a good off season.

:clap:

MickeyMgl
07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
B

blake is nice. he is a little undersized, but is smart enough to be effective in the triangle. resigning fisher for less than he deserved was a coup. dr buss has done a really good job keeping costs from spiraling out of control.

:speechless:
Less than he deserved? He was generously offered one year. He was asking for two. He got THREE. Maybe you don't realize he'll be 36 next season? And 38 in the final season of the contract. He already sucks on most nights now. I can't bare to imagine what his game looks like three years from now.

What was it you thought he deserved?

albertc86
07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Signing Shannon Brown is a step in the wrong direction. Yes, he was part of two titles, but he only has one trick and that's his jumping ability. He shouldn't be re-signed simply because he's a fan favorite. He's extremely athletic but he doesn't address any of the issues that the Lakers will face this upcoming season. The Lakers need a big man and a solid wingman [i.e. Barnes]. Shannon is a combination guard, at best, and not very good at either position. Bad move...

LA_Raiders
07-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree, we have 2 rooks trying to fill up the roster... They look promising, so LA might be saving a roster spot for them...

TMac & Shaq still available...

LA_Raiders
07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Signing Shannon Brown is a step in the wrong direction. Yes, he was part of two titles, but he only has one trick and that's his jumping ability. He shouldn't be re-signed simply because he's a fan favorite. He's extremely athletic but he doesn't address any of the issues that the Lakers will face this upcoming season. The Lakers need a big man and a solid wingman [i.e. Barnes]. Shannon is a combination guard, at best, and not very good at either position. Bad move...

Agree, I think we need Barnes D instead of Browns dunks.

Phabulous
07-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Incomplete, Mitch and Phil has something brewing in the office, there's a lot of options with expiring contracts coming up. Ebanks and Caracter looks okay but SF is are weak spot. I like someone who can play mult. forward position like OKC Ibaka. No more Shaq talks cause he is a sellout! He demanded a trade and got what he wanted. His nickname should be Big Baby Sr.!

deadman8586
07-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Agree, I think we need Barnes D instead of Browns dunks.

Yeah, but Barnes is getting on my last nevre and he's a dumba**. Also atleast Shannon is willing to play for us instead of these free agents who lied to us to get more money out of us. So you want to support liars then go right ahead because I'm not wasting my time on Barnes anymore.

deadman8586
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Incomplete, Mitch and Phil has something brewing in the office, there's a lot of options with expiring contracts coming up. Ebanks and Caracter looks okay but SF is are weak spot. I like someone who can play mult. forward position like OKC Ibaka. No more Shaq talks cause he is a sellout! He demanded a trade and got what he wanted. His nickname should be Big Baby Sr.!

The thing is that we want to clear salart not add to it that is the whole point of trading our expirings.

albertc86
07-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, but Barnes is getting on my last nevre and he's a dumba**. Also atleast Shannon is willing to play for us instead of these free agents who lied to us to get more money out of us. So you want to support liars then go right ahead because I'm not wasting my time on Barnes anymore.

Shannon is obviously the Lakers' last resort. Barnes has been on the Lakers' radar. I'd rather have a "liar" play for us and give us a better chance of winning than signing someone who clearly doesn't deserve a spot on the roster; he's [Brown] is a fan favorite and nothing more. If teams were clamoring to get him, he would've been signed already. The Lakers obviously feel pressured to make some acquisition, or in this case a re-signing, but it's a bad move.

deadman8586
07-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Shannon is obviously the Lakers' last resort. Barnes has been on the Lakers' radar. I'd rather have a "liar" play for us and give us a better chance of winning than signing someone who clearly doesn't deserve a spot on the roster; he's [Brown] is a fan favorite and nothing more. If teams were clamoring to get him, he would've been signed already. The Lakers obviously feel pressured to make some acquisition, or in this case a re-signing, but it's a bad move.

It's just that my pantiences are running thin on Barnes, and also he won't take 1.7 either.

KobeOwnSU
07-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Kwame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

TRUJRUSS
07-19-2010, 05:48 AM
First off brought back Phil and Fish which where the top 2 priorities w/o a doubt...
In My Opinion
Blake>Farmar
Brown-Kept
Ebanks>Morrisson
Character>Powell (mainly based on potential)
If we can sign someone like Kurt Thomas who is >Mbenga...
Definitely a B+... we got better... nothing we can do about what other teams do

Cimos21
07-19-2010, 11:45 AM
As a team that was well over the salary cap, the only real improvement(s) we can make are from drafting and the MLE. Considering that the team won the last 2 ships, we probably don't want to change much other than drafting and the MLE. Considering those 2 options we did very well, and I would rate it an A based on those.

MLE: We signed the best available free agent point guard, who fits into our system well, is only 29, and we didnt even use the full MLE to do it. Considering we left ourselves 1.8 million of the MLE to dab around with, I'd say that was a great signing. Most teams that needed a PG would have offered the full MLE to Blake. He is a significant upgrade to Farmar, and unlike Farmar, he can take over the starting role tomorrow if needed. He has better passing, better defense, and better 3 pt shooting than Farmar did. The only reason we liked Farmar is he was from the Valley and he jumps really high for a white guy (and extremely high for a Jew..haha).

Drafting: Considering we did not have a 1st round pick, the Lakers did extremely well in the draft. Ebanks was considered by many to be a first rounder, and many were surprised to see him on the board when the Lakers drafted him. Derrick Carracter has been ranked as one of the top 5 performers in the summer league, with the likes of Cousins and Wall. It is arguable that the Lakers had the best draft if you look at both picks. It says a lot if you draft 2 guys that make the team on a back 2 back championship team.

If you look at it from that perspective, the Lakers have had an excellent off season, as long as the remainder of the MLE is spent on Brown or Thomas.

lakers4sho
07-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Signing Shannon Brown is a step in the wrong direction. Yes, he was part of two titles, but he only has one trick and that's his jumping ability. He shouldn't be re-signed simply because he's a fan favorite. He's extremely athletic but he doesn't address any of the issues that the Lakers will face this upcoming season. The Lakers need a big man and a solid wingman . Shannon is a combination guard, at best, and not very good at either position. Bad move...

As much as I completely agree with you, gotta remember that L.A. [i]is Hollywood.

DaBossLaker04
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Well if we sign Thomas and the rooks I rate it a B+ grade off season. Especially with the upgrade at backup PG in blake. And if we somehow get Barnes or tmac ill give it an A offseason... and if we stay with brown I believe it will stay a B+ offseason