PDA

View Full Version : John Buck to the Sox?

lovingTO
07-15-2010, 01:42 AM
***************************/articles/420305-mlb-trade-rumors-blue-jay-all-star-catcher-john-buck-to-red-sox

MLB Trade Rumors: Blue Jays All-Star Catcher John Buck to Red Sox?

By Peter Douglas (Red Sox Featured Columnist) on July 14, 2010

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images Busy as Blue Jays Catcher John Buck was collecting his first hit as an All-Star, he still found time to discuss his former teammate, David DeJesus, with WEEI's Alex Speier yesterday in Anaheim. Put bluntly, Buck thinks DeJesus would perform tremendously with the Red Sox or another playoff contender.

Little does Buck realize that he may be playing in Beantown just as quickly as Kansas City's much-discussed outfielder. Perhaps they'll reunite at Fenway.

According to MLB Trade Rumors' founder Tim Dierkes, Buck could quickly follow SS Alex Gonzalez out of Toronto. Dierkes suggests that the first-time All Star and soon-to-be free agent catcher might land in Boston.

With both Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek on the disabled list, Boston probably couldn't find a better option than Buck before the trade deadline, and Toronto probably couldn't find a more desperate buyer.

Even beyond this 2010 playoff run, the Red Sox would probably have significant interest in Buck, who has thrown out roughly 25 percent of would-be base stealers both this season and throughout his career. Varitek and Martinez have combined to throw out only 19 percent this season.

That six percent may not seem like much, but it could be critical down the stretch in at least hindering a running game, and realistically, the Red Sox don't have many other options. They need a Major League catcher now if they're to remain in the race for the hotly contested American League East division title.

Through the All-Star break, Buck is hitting a career-best .272/.502/.306 with 13 homers.

Nothing specific in terms of the value that might come back, but I think Boston seems like a good fit for Buck

2009mvp
07-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Does seem like a good fit. Better make em pay though, there's not all that much out there on the market C wise.

Halladay
07-15-2010, 01:58 AM
If you can walk away with one good prospect, you do it. Buck has an option, correct? I can't remember if it's a club or player option...what I'm getting to is what does Elias have him ranked at? Any decent draft picks should he sign somewhere else in the off-season?

Pride
07-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Buck is barely a type B, he could lose it by the end of the season. Hopefully we can sell high on him now. Maybe package him with Downs for a better package of prospects?

BlueJayFanDan
07-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Yeah, better sell high. Hopefully a high ceiling prospect in return and maybe a low level prospect too. I expect solid value.

bomber0104
07-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Buck is barely a type B, he could lose it by the end of the season. Hopefully we can sell high on him now. Maybe package him with Downs for a better package of prospects?

Interestingly, the Red Sox are also interested in Bullpen arms and probably a lefty considering Okajima is hurt.

Buck and Downs for 2 good prospects from a very deep system. I take it even if its within division

wamco
07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
He is the last B, but only has to really hold off one potential other player. I forget who, check Cot's baseball payroll site.

torontosports10
07-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Screw giving them Downs too. He is a Type A, and we all know we wont get very good specs for them, and how over-rated some of these big market teams farm are.

McJoe
07-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah, better sell high. Hopefully a high ceiling prospect in return and maybe a low level prospect too. I expect solid value.

That's what I would be hoping for. One of their high ceiling arms maybe and an infielder for Buck and Downs and you're laughing. Oscar Tejada, Will Middlebrooks, or Yamaico Navarro and you're laughing.

boilerguy2412
07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
If it the Soxs you need to get something really good back. There is going to be a team that will overpay for buch come the T.D. There are many teams in contention that could use a number 6 or 7 hitting catcher that can hit homeruns and play good defense.

Kelly Gruber
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Agree with the sentiments around here: He should be traded, he will be traded, and I don't care if it's to Boston as long as they pay a premium.

jon32
07-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Git er done.

1hardcore
07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
This would make sense because John Buck would be just a rental player for Boston. I hope the Jays can get some more pitching help for the BP

pigspigs76
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Interestingly, the Red Sox are also interested in Bullpen arms and probably a lefty considering Okajima is hurt.

Buck and Downs for 2 good prospects from a very deep system. I take it even if its within division

yeah it makes allot of sense for both teams

The Slave
07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Rizzo, Fuentes, Anderson, Reddick, Bowden

??

Pride
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
The problem with dealing with the Red Sox is that Theo is a pretty smart guy. He's not known to overpay for any players. I'd rather target an even more desperate team that we can fleece.

Jays101
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
i really like the game of ray fuentes..... havent seen him play recently tho

B2theRY
07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
i want Elsbury! :P

ByShine
07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
victor martinez> john buck

LEAFLAND
07-15-2010, 03:16 PM
The Jays have up and coming talent in the catcher position waiting in the wings. I don't think we will be able to get a three carat diamond out of Boston, but if we get a chunk of rock with a potential diamond inside I would be happy! J.P. Arencibia is in the farm system and slotted to be a catcher in the majors. Then, Travis d'Arnaud, picked up in the Roy Halladay deal, is another catching prospect under development. Neither of these guys are perceived to be ready to come up to the show, so we will have to make due with a 'rotating door' catching assignment until then. I really like John Buck, but this year's performance could be a one shot deal.

bomber0104
07-15-2010, 03:30 PM
victor martinez> john buck

not when he is on the DL he isn't

frostilicus
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Here's everything you need to know about this "rumour" right here:

According to MLB Trade Rumors' founder Tim Dierkes

It's just a douche with a blog making random speculation.

Bryrob58
07-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Wait Tim Dierkes is a douche? Huuhhh!?

2009mvp
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
The problem with dealing with the Red Sox is that Theo is a pretty smart guy. He's not known to overpay for any players. I'd rather target an even more desperate team that we can fleece.

Eric Gagne???

To be fair he never said anything was in motion. All he's done is speculate based on the Sox' needs and the Jays' position as sellers.

B2theRY
07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Keep John Buck!

T.O. Fan
07-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Keep John Buck!

No, trade John Buck for a prospect(s) and call up JPA.

dtmagnet
07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
They're a division rival, make them pay or else why should we help them....even if we are out of the playoff hunt.

T.O. Fan
07-15-2010, 07:47 PM

What a ridiculous statement.

B2theRY
07-15-2010, 09:06 PM
No, trade John Buck for a prospect(s) and call up JPA.

why because hes hitting homers out of a kids ball park?

I wouldnt just GIVE Buck away for nothing..
i dont think it hurts the jays to keep buck and platoon JPA

i remember every "up and coming catcher" we were suppose to have.

who was our last good one Greg Myers?

wamco
07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
pat the bat borders

BlueJayCarter
07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
The Jays have up and coming talent in the catcher position waiting in the wings. I don't think we will be able to get a three carat diamond out of Boston, but if we get a chunk of rock with a potential diamond inside I would be happy! J.P. Arencibia is in the farm system and slotted to be a catcher in the majors. Then, Travis d'Arnaud, picked up in the Roy Halladay deal, is another catching prospect under development. Neither of these guys are perceived to be ready to come up to the show, so we will have to make due with a 'rotating door' catching assignment until then. I really like John Buck, but this year's performance could be a one shot deal.

JPA is coming up this year when Buck is gone. We are not getting another catcher from Boston there is no point. Saying JPA is not ready is stupid, he is more then ready.

BlueJayCarter
07-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Keep John Buck!

John Buck is not our future. Get at least two prospects for him, Double AA, or Triple AAA almost ready prospects to make up for Collins and Tyler P, and call up JPA full time.

Everyone was complaining about his awful season last year, his first time at Triple AAA. Well he was injured most of the season and this year especially last month since he was just named Player of the Month. He is going to be an impressive offensive-first catcher or DH for the Blue Jays.

T.O. Fan
07-15-2010, 10:48 PM

Who said anything about giving Buck away for nothing?

If JPA is hitting in a "kids ball park" how come he's the only one clearing the fence? Does he play there by himself hitting the balls off a tee?

Who cares about the other catchers that didn't make it. It has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on whether or not JPA succeeds.

bomber0104
07-15-2010, 11:08 PM

so is everyone else yet he is still managing to lead the league in HRs.

let me ask you, what does he have to gain by staying there?

JaysFan87
07-16-2010, 01:24 AM

pat the bat borders

dont know if good and pat borders really go together...lol

Halladay
07-16-2010, 02:00 AM
They're a division rival, make them pay or else why should we help them....even if we are out of the playoff hunt.

Best sig on PSD lol. Used to love the cookie monster unfortunately all the kids are over-weight and have diabetes these days so he doesn't eat cookies much anymore.:facepalm:

wamco
07-16-2010, 07:39 AM
pat gets a pass on offense as he:

1. was the catcher in 92 93
2. I met him at a card show at the time and he was a cool dude

I have no idea how he was defensively

wolverine
07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Pat Borders will always be one of my fav players and i dont know why, other than what he did in the World Series i cant really remember much else about him....TRENCHES.....TRENCHES

dtmagnet
07-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Hey man, World Series MVP nuff' said.

JaysFan87
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey man, World Series MVP nuff' said.

No one is taking that away from him. But he was a very very bad offensive player throughout his career except for 1990 where he was productive. Im sorry, WS mvp doesn't make you great or good. It makes you lucky becasue over a 6 game period anybody in the major leagues can be an MVP.

DocJayzSpikx
07-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Bottom line is, we need to trade our Vet's for prospects and give the kids a chance to play, we're talking about the future, and it wont pan out unless we give them a chance, JPA needs to come up here get a chance to catch, and learn to call good games, we NEED to build, to be honest we need to let go of our Vet's and start to bring up young ones and let them play regardless of if they screw up or no, let em try it out and learn a few things. Everyone will agree.

dtmagnet
07-17-2010, 03:48 PM
No one is taking that away from him. But he was a very very bad offensive player throughout his career except for 1990 where he was productive. Im sorry, WS mvp doesn't make you great or good. It makes you lucky becasue over a 6 game period anybody in the major leagues can be an MVP.

I think that's exactly why Jays fans love him though, he wasn't much of a player but on the grand stage of the World Series he rose to the occasion.

JaysFan87
07-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I think that's exactly why Jays fans love him though, he wasn't much of a player but on the grand stage of the World Series he rose to the occasion.

so...what for the rest of his career he choose to be cappy...im sorry but baseball is a lucky mans game at borders winning the WS MVP is a prime example. If borders could choose to "rise to the occasion" then he would have chose to rise to the occasion in the rest of his career as well.

B2theRY
07-17-2010, 05:18 PM

Sorry i was off by 1 year ;)
myers was 87.

My point is.. Everyone wants to dump buck and I dont understand why we would get rid of a guy who is pretty solid in "HOPES" JPA can step up right away and be a stud catcher.

what if he sucks?
and we get rid of buck
and then we are in need of a catcher...
we goign to get another Molina?

it doesnt hurt to keep buck and play JPA

unless JPA is going to be Pudge, i doubt he will play 162 games in his first year.

B2theRY
07-17-2010, 05:20 PM
as for trading a vet for prospects
you do need VETS if you ever plan on winning something.

donatolla
07-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Technically, it was likely Carlos Delgado.

In everything I've read from AA, he is insistent on JPA earning his way to the bigs. He won't make it on offense alone. There appears to be a sentiment that he has to improve defensively before we see him...and still, there are a lot of passed balls and he can't throw anyone out. He can call a better game now, so that's something. HR's won't get him to T.O.

With all that, I do think that AA would have to be overwhelmed on a deal with Buck. There are some that think that Buck could hold the position until D'Arnaud arrives (who will play over JPA when ready).

JaysFan87
07-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Technically, it was likely Carlos Delgado.

In everything I've read from AA, he is insistent on JPA earning his way to the bigs. He won't make it on offense alone. There appears to be a sentiment that he has to improve defensively before we see him...and still, there are a lot of passed balls and he can't throw anyone out. He can call a better game now, so that's something. HR's won't get him to T.O.

With all that, I do think that AA would have to be overwhelmed on a deal with Buck. There are some that think that Buck could hold the position until D'Arnaud arrives (who will play over JPA when ready).

If someone comes with an offer for good specs buck is as good as gone. Buck is more of an offensive catcher so if JPA is going to learn from anybody its molina. JPA is very very likely to start next season in toronto. THere is absolutely zero need to have him in AAA fo three straight years. Whatever the case may be...buck will not be on this team after this year.

donatolla
07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
If someone comes with an offer for good specs buck is as good as gone. Buck is more of an offensive catcher so if JPA is going to learn from anybody its molina. JPA is very very likely to start next season in toronto. THere is absolutely zero need to have him in AAA fo three straight years. Whatever the case may be...buck will not be on this team after this year.

I couldn't agree more - part of the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if he's trade bait this off season.

That said, I also agree that if someone comes up with an offer, that he's gone. Big IF though.

BlueJayFanDan
07-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, JPA is gonna get called up as soon as we move Buck I think. And he deserves it. Buck is gone in the next 2 weeks. Guaranteed.

Rochesta
07-18-2010, 02:26 AM
It would be a general misuse of resources to keep Buck for the rest of the season. He belongs on a playoff team for the remainder, not here. We can get another FA next year if JPA is not ready defensively.

Toxeryll
07-18-2010, 04:38 AM
so is everyone else yet he is still managing to lead the league in HRs.

let me ask you, what does he have to gain by staying there?

in case ur not aware, arencibia is leading the PCL with 11 passed balls I believe. but I agree with selling high with buck and JP might be better with a veteran backup presence of molina..
if JP doesnt pan out, we have a lot of depth in the catcher position in our system (jeroloman, darnaud, jimenez, perez). I think perez has the highest of them all.

Gibby
07-18-2010, 12:43 PM
trade Buck, we need to get young talent becuase were rebuilding. He is a FA and he will ask for alot more $. are jays willing to give more $ just because of one season, there are teams that will. I also want to see JPA

the_jon
07-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Sox get:
John Buck
Kevin Gregg

Jays get:
Casey Kelly
Ryan Westmoreland
Mike Bowden

^If anyone can get it done, AA can :cool:

wamco
07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
apparantly you can throw in cash ala the halladay trade, so why not throw in the cash to make it happen?

broncosfan_101
07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
apparantly you can throw in cash ala the halladay trade, so why not throw in the cash to make it happen?

Well, Boston wouldn't value cash in these situations like Philly does, but the biggest hitch is that Ryan Westmoreland hasn't played all year because of brain surgery, and there is no timeline on when he'll be able to start.

And to make this trade work, we'd probably have to throw in $15+ mill. Kelly and Westmoreland are quality prospects. If we could get just Ryan Kalish for Buck and either Gregg or Downs, that'd be a coup.

The Slave
07-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Sox get:
John Buck
Kevin Gregg

Jays get:
Casey Kelly
Ryan Westmoreland
Mike Bowden

Ok, first of all I'm all for a deal like that. However, the Sox will never do this deal.

They weren't willing to give up Kelly for Doc (They were crazy not to do it), so why would they deal him for Buck and Gregg ?

Doesn't make sense at all.

Secondly, Westmoreland had a life threatening dysfunction in his brain and recently had surgery. Even though the surgery went well, his career could still be in jeopardy.

He's a very good prospect, though.

Jays101
07-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Two guys who are high upside guys who i think who we should look at from the sox are raymond fuentes and madison younginer. We wont be able to fetch any top prospects for Buck but we always here about a prospect being trade when he was of low value and ends up becoming a top prospect in a short time.

Halladay
07-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Sox get:
John Buck
Kevin Gregg

Jays get:
Casey Kelly
Ryan Westmoreland
Mike Bowden

The Sox have a boner for Kelly. He's not going anywhere.

nithanyo
07-18-2010, 05:39 PM
If we trade within the division id expect a better return than trading out of the AL east. Do they have another hanley ramirez in the making in their system?

broncosfan_101
07-18-2010, 05:53 PM
If we trade within the division id expect a better return than trading out of the AL east. Do they have another hanley ramirez in the making in their system?

I know it's been a while since we could say this, but we don't have to worry about the future of the SS position for a long time. :cool:

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Elliott feels that the Tigers, Red Sox, and Reds are teams that might have interest in Buck.

with the way JPA is hitting and the demand for Buck, i really feel like he will be dealt soon

DiPasquale7
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Toronto Trades:
Buck (C)
Gregg (RP)

Boston Trades:
Iglesias (SS)
Vitek (3B)

Toronto also pays both Gregg and Bucks salaries for the rest of the year.

Iglesias and Hechvarria are great friends. Those 2 could be great together in the future.

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Toronto Trades:
Buck (C)
Gregg (RP)

Boston Trades:
Iglesias (SS)
Vitek (3B)

Toronto also pays both Gregg and Bucks salaries for the rest of the year.

Iglesias and Hechvarria are great friends. Those 2 could be great together in the future.

vitek can't be traded this year since he was just drafted and now way the Sox do that trade. they have many more lower rated prospects they'd rather deal

DiPasquale7
07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
vitek can't be traded this year since he was just drafted and now way the Sox do that trade. they have many more lower rated prospects they'd rather deal

I'd be happy with Iglesias + a few low level prospects

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Im trying to think of some, but who would you consider? Pete Hissey, Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks.

Asham
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
JPA is coming up this year when Buck is gone. We are not getting another catcher from Boston there is no point. Saying JPA is not ready is stupid, he is more then ready.

You havent seen his defense

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Im trying to think of some, but who would you consider? Pete Hissey, Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks.

I dunno much about their prospects after the top 10 so i'm gonna have to look. However, I keep hearing that they are loaded with high end talent at the lower levels

BlueJayFanDan
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I just hope we can get a good return for Buck and get JPA up in Toronto already. Buck is fantastic but it's time to go.

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I dunno much about their prospects after the top 10 so i'm gonna have to look. However, I keep hearing that they are loaded with high end talent at the lower levels

They do have lots of talent, either of those guys we acquire in any Buck and Red Sox deal and im satisfied, they have pretty good ceilings so should be interesting to see, look it up.

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM

I like Weiland more than the other 2 but if these are the prospects we get for Buck or Downs, I'd rather keep both of them and get the picks

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I like Weiland more than the other 2 but if these are the prospects we get for Buck or Downs, I'd rather keep both of them and get the picks

Really, wouldn't you rather a almost ready player rather than developing one up, I'd rather pick one of those guys (Weiland) and help build up the team

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Really, wouldn't you rather a almost ready player rather than developing one up, I'd rather pick one of those guys (Weiland) and help build up the team

Weiland seems to have the highest ceiling from the players you mentioned so i dont mind having him.. the other 2 seem like average major leaguers at best and thats not what AA is going for.

You can always wait for the draft and take a chance on high ceilings guys that drop

GNick
07-21-2010, 02:30 PM
That kind of interest should drive price high. Jays may be able to land 3 top young players for Buck, Downs and Bautista if they decide to trade them all